the Rift

[OPEN] Weight of the World [Welcoming]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Paint me a picture
with your lies

I wouldn’t call this feeling “victory” or really anything like it, but there was a sense of calm that washed over me when Cetan’s voice closed the distance between us telling me to wait. I didn’t know what to expect from the nervous stud nor did I think he would choose to align himself with the Edge after demonstrating so much hesitation only moments before. After all, Torleik and Cetan were of the same species… not to mention, the Basin boy did not suffer from a pair of rotting wings. I feared that I had frightened the young stallion off with my appearances alone but as fate seemed to have it, he was actually mine for the taking. I paused momentarily to allow Cetan a chance to wish our fellow animal goodbye before motioning him away with a weak toss of my head. The trek back to the Edge was a long one and I knew that it would take most of the day to get there, so at least if we got started now we might be able to make it home before dusk. Home… What a strange concept for Cetan now that he had chosen a destination. Would he find comfort in our numbers or would he shrink from their curious gazes and delighted “hellos”?

Drawing away from the small clearing from which we were all situated, I glanced back to the Basin stallion, still perplexed by his careful demeanor. He was none like his herd mates which led me to believe that a heart may yet beat beneath his breast… Of course, they were a guileful bunch so I wouldn’t pretend that I carried a torch for their name any more or any less because of Torleik. But somehow he had ignited a curiosity in me that I’d yet to come to terms with and perhaps never would. “You made the right choice… The Edge will be well worth your troubles in finding us.” My voice was barely heard above the brusque laughing of the wind, but I was still careful to hold my tongue before attentive ears with not one, but two horns to protect them. The Basin, though amiable enough after much deliberation and debate, still kept knives at the ready in case of a breech in our treaty. They surely didn’t have to say as much for me to know; it was just common knowledge.

With the day stretching onward toward nightfall, I marched along with a certain determination that told of my impatience. Cetan had sidled up next to me, still full of nervous tension and perhaps a little appreciation since it was I that took the brunt of the wind and cold slamming into our sides. Little did he know that my sickness had made me irritable and perhaps a bit rude, however I was careful to hide such emotions behind a carefully composed façade of tranquility. “So tell me about yourself Cetan… what brings you to Helovia and so luckily now, the World’s Edge?” I didn’t have to force the words in spite of how exhausted I felt because there was a huge part of me that was simply curious to know. He was such a peculiar animal that I found it hard to believe that he had wandered here alone or really anywhere alone for that matter. His fearful nature and steadfast distrust of all he encountered must have made such a journey quite difficult.

When the sun was finally falling away from the sky and the stars began to peek through the atmosphere to smile down at us, I began to recognize the familiar outlines of the glass wall looming low just ahead. Sparkles of faint yellow-orange light was scattered along the hard ground still frosted with snow and ice, and they danced in the breeze with the shifting of the naked branches casting shadows across the swells. The mists were heavy at this time of day and just beyond the narrow passage that would allow us inside they waited in their silent splendor to embrace us with long, spindly, white fingers. Looking ahead, I stopped before our borders, hoping that Cetan would understand the cue to slow alongside me. “What do you think? It’s another world just inside those walls… But I think you’ll find it more than sufficient.” I shifted my gaze to look down upon him and those cerulean eyes before adding softly, “Welcome home friend.
Thor the Gentle Heart

HorseStockPhotos.deviantart.com | raindroppe.deviantart.com | Roskvape.deviantart.com | FallowpenStock.deviantart.com | kuschelirmel-stock.deviantart.com | EveLivesey.deviantart.com | The-Ripple-Effects.deviantart.com ©
@[Cetan]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Cetan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

“Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.”

Cetan had absolutely no clue what he was doing. Following this rot-winged pegasus rather than one of his own kind? Well, little late for regrets. Cetan stayed mostly silent during their trek, sidling up against Thor to block the wind from his smaller frame, although at even the faintest touch the young stallion shied away, ears flicking back. But always he returned by the giant's side, the protection twofold; predators would not directly attack the giant Thor(or so he hoped) and using him as a windbreaker helped him cope with the cold. He hated the cold.

More than content to walk in silence(for what was he to say?) Cetan perked his ears at Thor's question. Quite a bit of time passed before he answered, blue eyes focusing on the snow beneath his hooves. "I stumbled into Helovia. I was not aware that i was going into another place." He said, ears flicking back as he recalled the startling appearance of Thor. "I was chased from my herd last winter when the snow would not end. All the foals and elders were chased away." He said, shuddering both from cold and memory. Would this winter be just as long? Would he wind up joining this herd only to be chased away again?

Once again he fell silent, eagerness and dread warring with each step he took. But above all reigned resignation. Whatever his fate was, he'd accept it. He had survived winter alone once before, he believed himself capable of doing it again. As the sun settled low on the edge of the world(fitting considering what herd he was joining), something strange loomed on the horizon. Cetan blinked and lifted his previously low head, ears pricked before what the thing was became clear. A glass wall. Glass. The sight both startled and entranced the unicorn, and his footsteps stumbled in his moment of distraction. Catching himself before he could fall, he stopped beside Thor, gaze locked on the gleaming glass barrier. How solid was it? Was it as strong yet fragile as ice? What lay beyond? Cet's left ear cocked towards Thor, listening to his words. Then he blinked and tore his gaze from the wall to the giant pegasus, blue eyes wide. What did he think? For a second the question confused him. Then shocked him. None ever asked what went on in Cetan's mind, and he rarely shared it in fear of tooth and hoof.

Eyeing Thor for a moment, Cet slowly replied, although his body was leaning slightly away to bolt should the large stallion's teeth or hooves move towards Cetan's smaller body. "I think... it is beautiful." He said, waiting a few tense minutes before he gradually began to relax, only once he was positive Thor wasn't going to attack did he return his gaze to the wall. Thor spoke once more, and once again the small dapple was startled mentally, although with different emotions. Home... friend. Both such foreign words, that stirred a mix of longing and confusion within his chest. Which only heightened the confusion. "We are...friends?" He asked, glancing at Thor from the corner of his eyes, ear cocked towards him. There was both a tone of hope and caution in the small stallion's voice; too often had he been beaten to really believe any considered him 'friend'.

Oh, he knew what the word meant. He had seen fillies frolic together and talk about their friends, and seen colts that shared no blood bond close as brothers. He had been the observer, the silent watcher that turned the other cheek when the foals or stallions took out their angers and frustrations on him. In a way, he considered himself their friend. Rather than taking their negativity out on their own kin, he allowed them to settle their anger on him, and it made him almost... happy to do so. Anything they did that allowed Cetan to be a part of their lives made him happy, whether it was 'go do this or else' or being their punching bag. It just meant that they knew he existed, and meant he would be a part of their world, of the herd's, even if it was for a flicker of a minute in their lives.

(OOC: WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT. Much long post. Thor, i blame you 8I)

Word Count:709 Tags:@[Thor]

Please tag Cetan in all posts.
Any force is allowed against Cetan short of killing him.

Paint me a picture
with your lies

The way he cycled through his thoughts and deliberated just about everything in existence made me believe that Cetan was meant to be a philosopher. Once he was able to shed the fear and anxiety that plagued him and forced him to question everyone’s intentions, I was certain that he would be a bright young stud with an equally optimistic future ahead of him…. It was just getting him there that would prove to be a problem. However, when the notion struck him, Cetan responded with a little less insight than I’d been searching for, I couldn’t help but smile honestly at the boy. He relied so heavily on others that it was almost painful to see. At this point in time, the dappled stallion was relying on me not only to burden the force of the cold and the wind but also to give him shelter and consequently a sense of purpose. However, I couldn’t blame him for those things because I had once worn his shoes… I had once sought comfort from another simply because I could not find it within myself.

Mirage had been the one to allow me such mercy and now I was in the position to return the favor unto someone else. It was a gratifying feeling and one that I’d not soon forget. “Why would they strip the herd of both their elders and their youth?” I was genuinely curious now, still imaging what that particular day had looked like in the eyes of young Cetan. But with little else to go on, everything I pictured was blurred and stretched into shadow.

As the glass wall approached with its cracks and its crags and its ruin, I watched the boy with bated interest. I did not want to influence his opinion of this place nor did I want to taint it. This moment was the one he’d been waiting on and yet one that I’d seen too many times before. The passage was still narrow and the mists still lingered, but to Cetan that very same passage was like a well-kept secret and the mists were a magical screen that concealed the beauty of the Edge. His life was unravelling before him and becoming something new while mine was droning into eternity while staking its claim on what I considered just another day… As the stud stumbled into place beside me once more (what with those short legs and tiny hooves, he’d had a tough time keeping pace with me) his bright cerulean eyes fluttered over the crystalline wall as if studying a monument of greatness. I couldn’t’ help the slight chuckle in response to his amazement. Clearly that didn’t have crafters where he’d come from.

His wonderment and child-like excitement for life was somehow inspiring to me since my life had lost most of its luster. I’d seen something similar in the last mare I recruited… perhaps they’d get along nicely then. Astraea was just as star-struck by the Edge as Cetan was, though perhaps a bit more refined… actually, perhaps a lot more refined. But everyone needed a place to belong and now I felt more than ever that I needed to help Cetan find his. “I’m glad that you do… I want to welcome you to our family Cetan. Your decisions, your ideas, and most of all your success will all be nurtured here.” I turned my deep, brown gaze to the smaller stud in hopes that he would once again see that I meant no harm. I wanted his trust and I wanted to honor the promises I’d made and would make to him. He was no longer just a recruit I’d found wandering the Threshold… he was now a brother in arms. “We are not friends… we are family.

With the words stringing us together at the shoulder, I shuffled forward toward the passage that would take us into our home. When we were near enough, I stepped aside so that the boy could enter first and witness more than just the shattered wall hiding the true splendor of our Lady. She crooned and sighed as I followed him in and I smiled lightly to acknowledge my own return to her wondrous embrace. The mists greeted us by wrapping happily around our ankles and concealing the dirt and ice that made up the once lush turf of the Edge, but they also allowed the serenity and grace of nightfall to cast a hazy shadow on reality. “I don’t intend to keep you from rest for long, but it is customary for new recruits to pick a line of work within our ranks should they wish it. I figured we could discuss the matter presently and get you settled and on the right track as soon as possible.” I paused to let the idea sink in, hoping that he would be receptive to my propositioning him so soon after arrival. “We have a few different areas under which you can study. You can choose to be a Nurse, a crafter, a sleuth, a philosopher, or even a warrior if you’d like. Each rank will provide you a mentor or teacher in which you can learn from, which will make your work more approachable as well. With that said, was there anything that piqued your interest or do you need a bit of time to consider?

I didn’t want to overwhelm him with so many possibilities, but I found that most knew what kind of path they sought to wander and I didn’t think Cetan to be any different. He was an intelligent fellow for all intents and purposes and I certainly believed that he would serve the Edge well.
Thor the Gentle Heart

HorseStockPhotos.deviantart.com | raindroppe.deviantart.com | Roskvape.deviantart.com | FallowpenStock.deviantart.com | kuschelirmel-stock.deviantart.com | EveLivesey.deviantart.com | The-Ripple-Effects.deviantart.com ©
@[Cetan]

Unregistered

Thor's first words were a loaded question. Hesitation throbbed in the dapple's chest, and he lowered his head. What if he told Thor and then this World's Edge herd took the idea and used it? His steps slowed, and he closed his eyes tight, before quickly picking up speed and return to Thor's side, gaze landing on the glass wall. He focused on his breathing; In...out....in....out. "Because the elders were old. They could not break through the ice alone nor could they push a path through the snow. The young because we did naught but eat; and He could not breed with us." The way Cetan phrased 'he' was as if he held the obvious stallion in high regard, even considering the atrocity of the stallion's decision to abandon all old and young to the elements. For what else was the Lead to do? His herd was starving, and there were too many young and old to take care of. To Cetan, the decision was well founded, and he had accepted it and left before the Lead's hooves could find his already scarred hide. The loss of the young and old was only temporary, after all. Cetan was positive come spring his mother would have another foal to replace Cetan, and life would go on.

It was just the way of things, he had decided. As it would be with this new herd. He had no delusions that he would live out the rest of his life with this World's Edge. At some point, he would be chased off once again and wander alone until the next herd came to draw him in. Life was fluid after all.

The beauty of the glass wall began to fade the closer they drew to it, Cetan's ice-colored gaze flickering over the cracked and shattered fragility of it. It was a sad sight to see something so beautiful forsaken and left in disrepair. So instead the youth focused his gaze on the entrance and the mists beyond. What lay in their depths? What wonders, what terrors? It was an entirely new place, and Cetan wasn't sure his anxiety could take it. But...for some reason he did not want to appear the coward he was. Not in front of this giant, this.... blând unul. So he remained by Thor's side as they approached. His left ear twitched towards Thor as once again he spoke, his deep baritone ringing through Cetan's head and down to his chest. Family... Why did the word stir such an ache throughout his body? Such a deep, throbbing ache. The most similar thing he could compare it to was as if his entire body was a week-old bruise; past the point of sharp pain, but burning pulses of it. Cet's mind couldn't wrap around it, and his confusion was plain.

How could they be family? He was downright positive this giant was not his sire, and definitely not his dam, or any of his ancestors. They were not blood, and he was pretty sure none in this Edge herd would be of his lineage. So...why did he call them family? It was a question he itched to ask, but didn't want his ignorance to be shown to his...companion. He knew he already showed his cowardly nature to Thor, he did not want him to see his stupidity as well. So he did not ask, and instead continued to listen.

But Thor spoke no more, and the passage through the wall loomed closer. To Cetan, it seemed no time at all before they were before the gap, and Thor moved aside to let the smaller pass first. Gathering what little scraps of courage he held, Cetan passed through the gap on trembling legs, gaze flickering rapidly around the surrounding past the wall. Mist. It was everywhere across the ground, and began wrapping itself around his ankles, his legs. He froze in place, ready to bolt out the passage and flee back into the clear air. But then, startlingly, he lowered his head and peered through the vapor at the ground, ears pricked before inch by inch his body relaxed, the trembling and fear gone, replaced by an overwhelming curiousity. He was fast. He could outrun whatever dangers lay within these walls, couldn't he? His first few steps were hesitant, but the mist wove in delighted spirals around in the air, and his gaze trailed the tendrils with a sense of wonder. It was like a living thing, these wisps, and when he looked back at himself, the ends of his pale mane and tail almost vanished within it's depths. Had he been born as silver as his hair, he would be a ghost, a thing born from the mist itself. The image made him laugh, and he shied at the sound, ears pricked, not realizing for a second that it was him who made the sound.

Shaking himself, he turned his head to look for Thor, realizing he had strayed quite a bit from the gap, so he trotted briskly back to the draft's side, his steps light. He settled back into place at Thor's side, his head swiveling to the mist, ears pricked. 'Later i will come.' He promised to himself before looking back at Thor. There was still the aura of distrust, of paranoia around the young stallion, but now there was also a sense of...well Cetan did not know the word, but peace. It was the feel of the soft fog against his legs, a reassuring presence that caused this. Cetan had no knowledge of what to call it, so he just settled for ceață moale. That decided, he listened as Thor's rumbling voice rang out once again. Work? Mentors?

"I don't know what any of that is. Nurse, crafter, pheelosiferr, warrior, mentor, teacher... What do they mean?" His brow furrowed slightly in confusion. Were they places? Things? People? Would he meet a equine named Pheelosiferr? Sounded like a torture, a cruel joke played upon the poor horse on it's parents. Teacher... teacher sounded familiar, but for the life of him, Cetan could not place the word. Those things...they had just simply not existed. Feeling as if his ignorance was damning, the youth ducked his head again, ears pinned. "I'm sorry blând unul." Would the gargantuan stallion lay into him now? A part of Cetan was still anticipating the blows of those giant hooves, or the searing pain of his teeth against his skin. Would this finally be Cetan's flaw that tipped the stallion? All Cetan could do was pray that being named blând unul would reign in the imaginary temper and lessen his punishment.

Translation
blând unul - gentle one
ceață moale - soft mist
(Yes, Cet is Romanian XD I just like the sound of the language shhshh)

Word Count:1115 Tags:@[Thor]

Paint me a picture
with your lies

A great breeze curled in from the sea, bringing her salty breath up and over the lip of the cliff that plunged down into her depths. One at a time, the ethereal residents of the Edge were making their presence known. The mists had thinned in the wake of the great ocean and her entrance, but they were not so foolish as to miss the show. In fact as they parted before us, a hazy path to the cliff’s face became vaguely apparent and since I was not one to deny the sea of her wishes, I motioned Cetan toward her rumbling laughter. He had shared a great deal with me concerning the many things he’d witnessed in his previous life, a life outside the Edge…. But I wanted him to see all that Helovia could offer him. We were not barbaric creatures nor were we a selfish people who thought sacrificing members of our family a “necessary evil.” Mirage had given life to the idea of equality and bred a community of fairness and trust. This boy would have nothing to fear with us at his side…

He had also raised a fair question about our ranks and while I deliberated just how I wanted to explain each occupation in favor of the Edge, I guided him along the icy turf toward our dear Lady, the sea. Cetan did not know of her importance to me, even if she was not as inspiring to others of the herd, but I intended to show him her magic and her power. He also knew nothing of the great Moon Goddess who ruled over the land just as the God of Spark led the Basin, the God of the Sun over the Throat, and the Earth God over the Falls. Every God or Goddess was a significant part of each herd and helped those devout citizens to flourish and succeed. However, it would all come in time… that was certain. The World’s Edge was my first priority and therefore when I found the words that needed saying I gathered the words carefully between my teeth. “There is no reason to be sorry. These things are all new to you… I expect nothing more from you than a promise to try. Your loyalty and your support is all that is ever asked of you.

I slowed in order to look down at the youth with saddened eyes. He had experience so much and the story was painted so vividly within his eyes that I could not help but pity him. I couldn’t say that I found him weak or useless, just broken. There was once a stallion within that skin, but he had been beaten from those bones and forced into submission. His past was a lingering haze that turned his eyes from trust and deformed his idea of unity. I would show him life and I would present him with opportunity… if only he were strong enough to accept it. Something in my plight made me weary though… I was uncertain in such a man could ever return to the empty house of his sins, even if those sins were not his own. “A nurse is a healer… they often gather herbs and come up with remedies to medicate ailments presented to them on a whim. As for a crafter, they build things such as the glass wall you witnessed at our borders. It was once a beautiful thing my friend, a real monument…

As I thought about it, I recalled the unequalled beauty of the crystalline wall in its prime. I’d never seen anything of its kind and I was certain that Cetan hadn’t either. He was still as foreign to me as the Basin, but at least I could penetrate his figurative walls and discover a personality beneath the layers of anxiety and fear. I hoped, above all else, that I would find him. Whatever personality he now inhabited was not one that gave a name to the stallion before me. It was merely a disguise invented to keep him safe from the lies he was so often exposed to. “A philosopher is our idea of “intelligence.” They might decipher messages from the Gods or they might solve problems within the Edge that cannot be resolved with diplomacy…. Now, a warrior is fairly self-explanatory. They fight for us, defend us, and ultimately protect us from physical threats. They are a dime a dozen and very crucial to our well-being.” I couldn’t picture Cetan as a warrior, but I couldn’t say anything one way or another because of his tendency to hide so much of himself. What a shame though… so much personality guarded behind a wall of anticipation; behind a wall of terror.

Your mentor or teacher would be someone like me. I’m a Specter and I teach the sleuth class. They solve riddles and protect our family from thieves. We are essentially spies, intent on finding out information that would hurt the Edge… It’s a noble position if you ask me; though every occupation in the Edge has its own set of rules and expectations. I know it can be a lot to take in, but just think about it. Take all the time you need and when you decide, I will help to direct you on your chosen path.” With everything that needed to be said out in the open I returned to our ascent toward the sea. She still laughed and whispered sweet compliments in our direction, but I’d yet to lay eyes on her. She would merely have to wait until Cetan was comfortable enough with me for him to realize that she called for so much attention. I would share her woes with him one day when the time was right… but she was often a greedy woman… “By the way… what does blând unul mean?” I wasn’t sure if I’d pronounced the words correctly, but at least I’d given them a shot. After all, they would never sound as pleasing as they did when Cetan spoke them in his native tongue. I guess everyone had their own way of being… But I was willing to learn beyond my own means.
Thor the Gentle Heart

@[Cetan]

OOC| I either flopped or flew on this one. Hopefully I flew... but... who knows. xD

Unregistered

The noise was deafening, and as shapes begin to form from the dark into that of other equines, Cetan's hide quivered, and he fell back behind Thor some, ears straight flat against his head, nostrils quivering with every ragged breath. Anxiety clutched at him. He couldn't think fully, there were just so many shapes that loomed from the dark. Thor guiding, practically having to push Cetan forward towards whatever was creating the rushing pressure in his ears. But Cetan's ears pricked straight at Thor when he spoke, and a look of startled shock flashed across Cetan's face, then wary resignation. His punishment would come later, then.

Loyalty? He wanted to inquire on the word, his curiousity stirred once again, but he stifled the urge. No, he'd gotten himself into a grand enough mess as it was, no need to further dig his grave. So he remained quiet, allowing Thor to guide him as he listened to the elder's words. No rank appealed to the small dapple; he had no knowledge or interest in plants save for eating, and although he considered the glass wall beautiful, he just couldn't picture himself creating something that awe-inspiring. More than likely his creations would be withered and horrible to look upon. At the prospect of becoming a soldier, of fighting others, the youth balked mentally. No. No no definitely not. Philosopher intrigued him somewhat, but the thought of doing anything for a God drew up his anxiety. How could one such as he even register in the eyes of a god? He was not worthy of speaking to one, let alone working for one. But then, Thor mentioned a final class, and this one snagged Cetan's attention.

He had a love for riddles, for pondering the lyrics for hours, days even, until he figured out some deeper meaning. Mindgames and other such mental puzzles had been a delight given to him as a foal, something his mother had actually done for him. She would present him with some puzzle, and he would be left to his own devices in figuring it out. Finding information also appealed to the young stallion, and he lifted his head, gazing up at Thor. "I want to be a sleuth." There was nary a scrap of his usual hesitation, only the flicker of the determination that defined the black's very being. It was the determination to live when all others would have perished, the determination to please others even at the cost of his own health, and it was the determination that led him to this moment. But within seconds of it's arrival, it was vanquished by his broken spirit, and Cetan dipped his head. "That is if you'll let me." He said, making his tone as apologetic as he could for his outburst of defiance.

In the silence that followed, Cetan focused on the rushing noise that fuddled his thinking and distracted him so. He had never before seen the sea, nor heard her calls, and was finding it very annoying. He shook his head, as if trying to rid his ears of the sound; it was like one had shoved a wad of moss into his ears. Then Thor spoke, and Cetan blinked in surprise, then frowned lightly as Thor clumsily butchered his accent, his language. "It means..." Cetan hesitated, gaze flickering to the ground at his hooves. What had he been thinking? He held no right to call Thor such, and now the giant stallion wished to know what it meant! He could not lie, no, he was a terrible liar. "It means... gentle one. It is in the language of my home. Forgive me... i did not realize you did not speak it here."

Word Count:691 Tags:@[Thor]

Paint me a picture
with your lies

He was very much like an insect, flitting and sputtering about at every noise or flurry of movement. Nothing appeared to comfort him and so I decided that I would leave him to his own devices as we meandered closer to the cliff. My gait was confident and strong and served as a prime example that I felt at ease here in the mists. Somehow I hoped that it would reassure Cetan or at least make him believe that the world would not come crashing down around his feeble mind. I could only imagine what Mirage would have made of the boy with her careful resignation and calm demeanor. Come Cetan, you’re among friends. No. Not that. Clearly I couldn’t imitate the draconic mare any more than I could conjure her image in my mind after all this time. How I missed the mare dearly; if only she would return and restore order to my heart.

The ground began to reappear beneath us as we closed in on the lip that peered out over the roiling sea. Its breath pushed the fog away and ran through the soft strands of my mane like a lover’s caress in turn making me smile softly to myself. The Edge was the only thing I’d ever known. It was the one constant in my ever-changing life that always remained when the smoke and fear closed in around me. Even if I couldn’t convince Cetan of the magic that the land possessed, he would see it in due time. This place had a way of settling fondly in the mind and leaving an impression as unshakable as true love.

With admiration lighting up my eyes, I looked down to the young stallion in hopes of finding something similar in his own expression. There was certainly something there but I couldn’t quite put a name to it just yet… It was definitely a look of passion… but for what I was still unsure. However, as the words came sliding along his tongue claiming that he too desired to become a sleuth, I responded in kind with an unbelieving sigh. I had been all too fortunate in being named Specter of the Edge but to start recruiting pupils so soon had been beyond my wildest dreams. It was a true wonder that anyone would choose so willingly to follow me… but then again, hadn’t Mirage named me her King because I possessed some kind of power?

Perhaps I’d just forgotten my strength somewhere along the way.

A fine choice.” I wasn’t sure how to express my gratitude and remain his superior all at the same time but a small light of my own character always seemed to show through the cracks of my existence. I was not as comfortable in a role of leadership as Archibald the Dauntless but at least I still possessed some thread of humility in the way I kept my company. I’d seen power dim the shine of many-a-soul and I’d no intentions of dulling my own spark in such a way. “I’d love to mentor you Cetan… But I will always put your training before our friendship. I’m sure you understand….” I’d seen a part of the youth that I’d yet to see; a moment in which he was not the terrified creature I’d discovered in the Threshold. Instead he was an animal with purpose and definition and I hoped that he would grow into that part of himself in time. The Edge would appreciate a mind as brilliant as Cetan’s, if only he would show them what he’d shown me.

As unexpected as it was to witness Cetan’s display of sureness, I was even more surprised to find that he referred to me as gentle one in that foreign tongue of his. I chuckled lightly at the irony of it all because I was certain that I’d never shared with him my title as “the Gentle Heart.” I assumed it was a befitting entitlement now considering Mirage had said the same of me. But I did wonder what kind of stallion that made me in retrospect… I was certainly not as frightful as Torleik, the Basin man Cetan and I had also met in the Threshold… but did that make me weak? Was I merely the butt of some joke or a reminder that not all males were fit warriors? I was left bereft by the idea and mildly distracted but resigned enough to bury the thought until later contemplation. This was not the time to wallow in my own self-pity, especially when I sought to pull Cetan out of his own figurative hole- “Helovia is home to many languages my young pupil… but you needn’t worry about which ones. We have a lot to do from here on out but before we can get started, you’ll need your rest Cetan. Tomorrow we begin your journey to becoming a skilled sleuth.” No, this was a time to be strong and teach others to do the same.
Thor the Gentle Heart