the Rift

[OPEN] pushed away, i'm pulled toward

Arya Posts: 50
Hidden Account
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 2
Minx
Arya
He finally was taking her to the Frostbreath Steppe. After months of nagging, Arya was getting to see the mysterious mountains that lay beyond her frosty home. With it being frostfall, the snow fell thick and the temperatures were below freezing. She clung to Déodat’s warmth. While they walked he told a story. This tale was of a lady knight. Arya could tell her father had made this one up on his own, for every moment or so he would pause. She appreciated his efforts for composing stories that appeased moreso to her taste. Male heroes were growing a tad bit boring as they seemed to dominate a vast majority of the good tales.

The child’s attention was pulled from her father’s story as they reached a peak. Evening was drawing in and auroras began to dance in the sky. Arya gasped and ran forward with Odette close behind. She stopped toward the edge and her eyes watched the lights. She could hear her father’s footsteps coming up behind her. She smiled and looked over her shoulder at him.

“It’s truly lovely, isn’t it?” He said, his focused on the sky above. Arya nodded her head briskly and pressed her side against her father’s. “We can’t linger for too long out here though. It’s grows late and I don’t think you mother would appreciate me keeping you out in the frostfall night air.”

A frown passed over her lips. There was far too much to see and she knew it was unlikely for her father to bring her beyond the Basin like this again for awhile. She sighed and closed her eyes. Both of her ears darted forward at the sound of growling. Arya eyes shot open and she looked down at Odette who stood a couple feet away now.

Her father grew tense. His head was turned toward the dog and Arya could see him scanning the hill line. The child stared with wide eyes and could feel her heart begin to patter a bit. In the distance she could see five figures slowly appear across hilltop.

“It’s time to go,” Déodat lightly rammed his shoulder into Arya making her stumble. Odette came along the rear of them as they went. The child could see her father turning his head over his shoulder multiple times as they went. “Arya, you’re going to run. Don’t look back and don’t wait for Odette or I. Head back to the Basin and find your mother.”

Arya looked at her father with wide eyes. Her mind drifted back to her mother who said she should fight. “No.”

“You’re my little princess, I don’t want any harm to come to you.” He said coming to a halt. Arya stopped and glowered at her father.

“I am not your little princess,” she spat. “I am strong like you. Mama taught me to fight not run.” Arya met his gaze with a challenging fire in them. His reaction took her completely by surprise. Both of his ear slammed against his skull and he glowered down at her with a look of burning rage.

“I said run, so, RUN!” He screamed, practically in her face. What she didn’t know as the ruse he had put on. It wasn’t anger that drove him to scream but love. This was something she would maybe see someday later.

Arya would obey. She would turn and she would run with tears forming in her eyes. Why wouldn’t her father believe in her like her mother did? Why didn’t he give her the chance to be like the heroes from his stories? Surely they could defeat whoever was coming after them with ease.

As the distance grew between her and her father she dared a lance over her shoulder. The five unicorns had come upon him and Odette. Then she saw one of them charging after her. She skidded her hooves into the snow and would turn to face him. Arya wouldn’t run. She would stand tall as her mother taught her. She reared as the stallion came toward her and he stopped and simply laughed.

“You aren’t more than a little girl!” He shook his head and gave out a gruff laugh. “We can’t have witnesses though.” Arya stared at him with a hard expression as he came at her with his horn. She jerked her neck back but she felt a deep gash form across her neck. The child would step back from the stallion and stare into his face. It was a man that did this. A man callously slashed her throat and potentially killed her father and her friend Odette. The stallion watched as she stumbled back before turning and leaving. He believed his work was done.

She would run. She would near the Basin’s border before she could move no more. She would fall into the snow and shiver. She would give out one final cry before she shut her eyes and fell into unconsciousness.

[Basically an explanation for Déo while he is in AA and a way for Arya to figure out she's immortal. Open for anyone]
If I look back, I am lost
Image Credit | Table by Sevin

• tag in opening posts only 
• violence/magic is permitted. maiming/death is not without prior permission

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

I can't. I can't stay here any longer. My body itches to move, to get out of this damn cave. Something is telling me that I need to get out of this cave. The safety of the cave does not appeal to me, and my mother isn't here. She is out still, looking for that murderer. She will never notice.

After all, this wasn't my first venture outside without her. I had been taking off at times, slowly staying out later and later. I usually wandered around the Basin, and occasionally I had taken a trip to the Steppe. Like my most recent adventure. Which had proved to not be fatal... Even if it was a little odd.

I smile as I stand outside my cave. I close my eyes taking a deep breath of the cold fresh air. That pleasantness is shattered by a piercing scream. I am snapped out of my happy mood, and before I know it I am rushing towards that one, single, terrible sound. Who had made it? What had happened? Where they attacked? Where they dead? Could I do anything to save them??? Snow billows around me in my frantic search to find whomever that cry had come from. In the snow though, a form catches my blue eyes. I rush towards it. Towards her. She does not move, at least not that I can see, and an icy cold fear grips my chest. Was she dead? Was it the murderer? Where we not even safe in our own home.

I stop standing above the body of a filly not much older than me. A nasty gash across her neck catches my eyes, and I am filled with despair. It had to be a deadly wound. Blood stains the pristine snow. What the hell was I supposed to do? I had to call for a healer, but I couldn't leave this girl to die alone. Suddenly my voice shrieks out, calling for anyone to help her. "HELP! SOMEONE HELP!!!! WE NEED A HEALER!!!" My voice echoes for a moment, before falling into silence. I whinny once more, before looking back down at the girl. Carefully I lay down close to her, my head and neck reaching to cover her shoulder. I wouldn't let her get cold, I would try to keep her warm, despite her size being slightly greater than my own. Right now the only thing I could do, or hope to do, was wait. Either for her to wake up, or for someone who could help to come. Or both.

"talk talk talk talk "
Tagged;; @[Arya]
Words;; 429 words
Notes;;

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Hotaru
who can say if I've been changed for the better?

A scream echoes over the frosted plains, followed by another, far less primordial and formulated into words. Ones that are chaotic as they screech into the young mother's head, barely articulated as the shadow of recognition and fear consumes it. A mother knows her daughter in every way, be it pain or pleasure, joy or jealousy. The plaintive cry does not belong to some lost, broken creature. It belongs to her precious huntress. Somebody has hurt her baby. There is a cold, prolonged moment of stillness as this sinks in. Hardly a moment passed in any other's eyes, but to her it is an eternity of terror. What about Deodat? Odette? How could her precious child have gotten hurt? For Arya is no weakling, she does not cower nor caterwaul over skinned knees and bruised shins. And the cry was the wail of a dying thing.

ARYA!

Her mind is screaming the name on repeat, and how she goes from motionless to sprinting she can't recall. Foam is thick on her flanks in seconds, running so hard her heart is nearly objecting, like a sled dog running itself to death. She runs to her baby, the only thing that has ever mattered in her life, the shining light in the dark void of her existence. Please gods, don't take her away from me! Not her, anybody but her! Blood is pounding in her ears, snow exploding from the sharp kiss of her hooves as she runs, sparse grass uprooted. Destroying the very environment, terror thick like sap, like congealed blood in her veins. Blankminded except the fervent, hysterical prayers that she be wrong. That it won't be her daughter at the borders, blood staining the snow. Ripping away the only good Hotaru had in her miserable life.

The body in the snow (Hotaru can't bear to name it, to think it's her daughter) is so small, so frail. Even as she races towards the standing filly, the stain of color seems to only grow smaller beneath her gaze. Breakable. Mortal. So easily stripped from the world. A world Hotaru could not stand to live in if it meant losing her baby girl.

A scream rips from her throat, agonized, disbelieving as she finally has to accept that the crumpled body in the snow is her baby. It is a shrieking, dying thing that shreds her vocals with shards of glass formed from the shattered walls of her denial. She collapses all at once, her momentum snapped as her strings are shredded and cut with a rusted blade. Her knees bruise as they slam to the earth, tears streaking hot and furious down her pink cheeks. Staring in horror at the blood round her baby's throat, a necklace of pain and defeat. Crimson, carmine, cooling red and pulsing weakly upon the pristine canvas that is her death bed. Too young, too young. Gods, let her take her daughter's place!

Her breaths huff, hysterical, completely uncaring how she appears to the outside world. Facade shattered, pierced and burned. Why should she care what they think of her now? Her life has no meaning, no purpose, no direction if that little heart does not continue to beat. Flared nostrils press to the slick of her daughter's bloodied throat, trying fruitlessly to place pressure upon the wound that will surely claim her life.

"NO!" It rips free in a wail, a screech of denial and distress. She hiccups on her sobs, presses to her daughter's limp body, chest heaving with the force of her agony. "Arya, Arya, please. I love you my huntress, I will kill whoever dared to hurt you. I will kill them all. Just please stay. My baby, please don't leave me," she sobs, a strained whisper into ears that are still so tiny, so round with newness and little life. She weeps, broken, upon her daughter's form. Preach all she may about strength, but she also taught Arya about the power of love, of loyalty. May her daughter forgive her for her weakness, for the cinders that turn her heart into naught but dust and smoke.

Her world fades to this single moment, to the glimmer of snow flecked on her child's still, motionless face. In her memory of those closed eyes, that little face she sees the few seasons her baby has gotten to live, and with all her might she prays for a chance for Arya to see so many more of them. Take my life instead. I give you everything. I give you my heart, my breath, my very soul. Just please, don't take her away from me.

[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Hidden Account
Minx
Arya
It was like a pair of cold hands tethered her to her broken frame. She should’ve been released and drift into whatever unknown lay beyond. Instead, she law with her precious life blood pouring out into the snow. The child fought against the shackles of life. Arya desperately sought to find the solace of death. Light would flicker before her eyes and then simply go out. Somehwhere in the world of conscious she could hear screams, an unfamiliar voice screaming. Her mind could barely make out the words help. For a moment she shifted, somehow finding the strength to move as she felt another’s warmth. Then she went still again.

From some distant reaches of her mind, she heard her mother’s screams and pleas. All the lessons her mother taught of strength, and there she lay so ready to die. Arya fought the tug of the cold hands. She fought to simply fight for breath. Something kept her there and so she would return. She wouldn’t leave her mother. She wouldn’t leave the gorgeous world that was so full and bright, even if there was evil. With a desperate jerk of her soul she found it returning to her near lifeless body. Her eyes fluttered and she gazed at her crying mother. The expression in her eyes were pleading and terrified. She wished to apologize for being weak. And then there was a part of her that wished to be let go.

She gasped in desperate attempts at air and little came through her lungs. “Please, don’t let it hurt anymore.” She said, her words pained and tormented as a sob racked her frame which only worsened her anguish. The child squeezed her eyes shut as fat tears formed in her eyes. Where was a healer when she needed one? Why did so few answer her screams? Above all, where was her father? She silently prayed that the rogues didn’t take them. But her thoughts were ripped from her father a the pain seemed to worsen. The child swiftly began to bitterly desire for death to finally come and drag her away. She couldn’t imagine surviving in the cage her body had become.

@[Glacia]
If I look back, I am lost
Image Credit | Table by Sevin

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

For one moment, the frigid junctures and vestiges of Frostfall were but a vivid, beautiful dream: crystallized, glacial prints conforming to chill and ice in one manifested crescendo, one sublime movement and moment; and then they fell, quickly, swiftly, into chaotic shambles.

Ear-splitting screeches, unwinding wails, laments and dirges escaping from the lungs of her cadre bellowed and echoed, wild, frenzied, panicked and adrift, careening in all directions as she bit, clawed, and tore across the scene. Her heart burst at their melancholies, her chest and sides heaved at their worries, and the pictures painted across her eyes were streaked with apprehension, with loss, with forlorn realities, with the piercing guilt of not being fast enough –

They were sirens across the horizon, she and Imogen, Songbird and fox, racing against the pinnacles and treachery of time, off-kilter and seething amongst the deep snow. Vivid streaks along the valleys, pervading, surrounding, the world with song, with hope, with benevolence, opening her mouth wide and granting arias of the humble, of the beneficent, of the hopeful and sublime – guiding them in everlasting conviction, struggling to shroud them over the howls, the weeps, the cries. Perhaps it wouldn’t be enough, melodies springing and infusing, saturating the grounds with their honeyed enchantments and serene manifestations, but they could buy her precious moments, sanctified beats of the drum she, they, didn’t have. The scene they came upon, blood, blood, blood dashed across pelts, across frames, across a mourning mother and her fallen babe, was another galvanizing fixture; together, the arriving forms holstered their determination across brows, against chests, falling into an age-old rhythm, crossing wires and strangers, traipsing closer and closer until they stood before the tiny child with her slashed, maimed form. They were silent, quiet, tranquil, except for the fluttering of the Mender’s anthem, the soft harmony she cajoled, the crooning strain she harbored and divided against the plain. She shut her eyes against the world, against the gut-wrenching dirge of a dame and her lost daughter, against a worried companion, loosened her hold on sanctity and sanctuary, and drummed a beatific beat.

Time flowed, trickling from her frame in bits, pieces, fragments, drawn from a God’s power, bright, brilliant, vibrant essences of glory and wickedness, and like a loom, like a tapestry, they fortified and wove, stitched, laced back perilous wounds and grave lacerations. They varnished and gleamed, washed away, undid wrong from right, combated tempests of destruction and gales of disaster, kissed and caressed the damaging venues, diving headstrong into valleys of nonexistence. She breathed and unleashed an inferno of assuaging supremacy, unfurled and uncoiled the remains of her tenacity, held steadfast through the bewitching storm, and only opened her gaze to the sight when she thought the perils over, finished.

talk talk talk

Lena the Songbird

my song is love - you don't have to be alone
image credits

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

Time seemed to slow down. Like it was running out for the girl I had curled around. A worried mother comes galloping into view, and the glacial girl skitters out of the way of the incoming mare. But it almost seems like her movements are slow, and I can't seem to move fast enough. In my head I hear ticking, louder, louder, time slowing to an unbearable amount, until with one final click, it stops. There is silence, I cannot hear anything, not the labored breath, not the crunch of snow, not een my own heart beat. Nothing but the fuzzy sound of silence. Then comes a gasping breath, and its almost as if time rewinds itself, and the older girl it trying to grasp for air through the gaping hole in her neck, splattering blood everywhere on the snow covered ground.

It truly is a horrific sight to behold, and the glacial child can only do nothing but stand in her own silent horror, as the child spat out words, and sobbed in misery, when along comes a bay lady. An angel perhaps? She knelt beside the tormented youth and Glacia watched with wide eyes as the wound slowly began to heal itself, as time was reversed, until at last the gaping hole in the girls neck was closed, and smooth, as if it had never happened. It was only then did Glacia take a deep shaky breath of relief. Tears slowly crept there way down her face, thankful that the child in front of her would make it. Her eyes turned the the time mender woman, and words fumbled around before finding there way out of her mouth. "I- She- You... T-Thank y-y-you." The words where stuttered, and uttered in an awful whisper, the glacial eyes returned to look at the older filly at the spot where her mortal wound had once been. IT was then, that Glacia decided on the life she wanted to pursue

"talk talk talk talk "

Tagged;; @[Hotaru] @[Arya] @[Lena]
Words;; 333 words
Notes;; Sorry this took so long!! D:

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit

Hotaru
who can say if I've been changed for the better?

There was too much blood, too many morbid pearls of carmine blooming like roses that heralded death on the snow around her child. Just a baby, too young, with too much life left to live in a world that sought to end her. Her own cries were agonized, feeling as if every piece of her soul and body was being burned with a sure, torturous hand and a flame too pale to be anything pure. Hatred warred with her despair, and she burned, burned, burned beneath the weight of her denial. No, she couldn't lose her baby, her life, her love. Her reason for living. But even her eyes could see that it was too much, there wasn't a way for a healer to bring her back, not realistically. Not even a world imbued with magic and second chances. So when Lena answers the call, desperation pouring out of her like rain from an evergreen branch, she cannot be consoled. She is convinced that Arya is lost, that Hotaru will be left in a world that will burn before her grieving heart and tortured eyes. A world she will no longer see the purpose of living in. Arya was all she had left, her meaning, her purpose. Without her, Hotaru was lost. Broken.

Except, the wound on her neck closes, and the whimpering pleas of her daughter shred her heart like a rabid wolf. She sobs freely over her body, blind to the blood that coats her breast. Red, red, red. Red like her pain, like her rage. Red like her daughter's passion. Red like blood, like what her enemies will bleed in vengeance. Red like her broken heart, her shattered life.

But breath is sucking weakly into tiny lungs, and Hotaru stares uncomprehendingly down at the body sprawled in the snow, helpless but...but...healed. Is she mad already? Has her psyche been broken by the loss so soon, deluding herself with the idea that her daughter, her core, could have been saved?

Tentatively she lowers her muzzle to her daughters, and when she feels the warm exhale that signifies life, Hotaru chokes and sobs. Gratitude slams into her, until she is slumped and crying in relief over the warm, alive body she has nearly encompassed in her grief. Her eyes are shot with red as she lifts her head to look at Lena, her mane clumped in blood but spread soothingly over her child's skin, keeping her veiled, warm. Protected. Her body is posturing as fully as she can manage over her prone form, something she had not done since Arya was young and small enough to easily slide beneath her belly on straightened legs.

Words come out rough and cracked, black holes of so many possible endings leading down into the crevices as she speaks. "L-Lena," she chokes. "Thank you.". Tortured but sincere, with all the passion she can muster. Lena had saved her daughter, impossible as it should have been. She owed the Songbird more than she could put into words, but it pulsed in her eyes like a promise, like a debt. "Thank you."

And she turned to cradle her daughter, tears slowed but still dripping pathetically down her face as her visage turned to pin the other youth in her gaze. "Thank you, child, for not leaving her alone. For calling." It quivers with pain, with gratitude. The filly had been brave, to stay by her daughter's side even in the face of such a macabre scene.

Words clogged up in her throat, useless, she bowed her head over Arya and merely cried.

@[Lena]

[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Hidden Account
Minx

She harbours a sword within her unquiet roaring heart,

Death should’ve taken her. Death should’ve dragged her into the dark, abysmal peace of it’s embrace. Yet, there was something that broke through her pain. She didn’t dare open her eyes but she felt as the wounds mended themselves. That grip that tied her to her body slowly faded as flesh mended together. She lay somewhere between unconsciousness and awareness. Part of her wanted to slip into the blackness and never return. But her eyes slowly fluttered open as she heard words of thanks and praise. She weakly lifted her head from the brittle snow and glanced about at the faces around her. Her mother and two unfamiliar faces remained nearby. First thing she noted though was the remaining absence of her father. She shot a look over her shoulder, expecting him to come over with his head high and Odette at his side. For several moments she remained still, despite her mother’s touch, despite the others relief. The child was focused upon the absence of her other parent and her friend.

When the moments ticked by and none came she finally looked toward the bay mare. She knew she should’ve thanked her. She knew that she should’ve been feeling indebted to the mare, but her mind was trapped in the pain that had overwhelmed her. Arya was trapped in the fresh memories of what should’ve been her death. For once, she wouldn’t try and be strong. She would be a child and she reached for her mother, wanting nothing more than to be buried in her touch and affection. The huntress began to weep violently. All the fear and pain manifested in the fat tears that fell from her face.

“I was so afraid,” Arya said through her sobs. “I could feel death. I could feel it trying to pull me away.” Even if her soul had wanted to slip away in that moment there was still life to live. “Why couldn’t he take me?” The question was targeted to both Lena and Hotaru, though her gaze remained focused upon her mother. She simply doubted the other child could comprehend know of death like the adults did.

@[Lena] @[Glacia] @[Hotaru]
arya woman-kingfont color=#eebabb>arya woman-king

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

Lacerations closed, wounds narrowed, injuries reduced and shrank, and the femme stepped aside so that the grieving mother could rejoice instead. A heavy rush of breath escaped from her lungs, a salutation, a prayer, answered and sculpted and revered on the brink of demise and quietus. She nodded and smiled toward the other babe and Hotaru, accepting their gratitude but never their debts or obligations, always eager to assist her comrades. Her satisfaction could reign over healed children and mended soldiers, not owed favors or misgiven providences. She very nearly wandered off altogether, her craft done and fastened, finished, bestowing art and form when it was needed, then wandering off into the valleys and sun once more – the babe needed time with her dam, to wash away the agonies and miseries eternal rest almost bestowed. The youth’s words, though, stopped her in her tracks, and her ears twisted in a curious, inquisitive fashion, testing the strange proclamation, the bizarre utterances. She’d felt death, she’d sensed its touch, its caress, its pestilent promises and alluring decrees, had almost been taken in its clutches and absconded to Hades’ chambers, crossing over Styx with no coins in hand. The Mender’s cranium tilted a fraction, benevolent eyes searching over the tiny dame’s frame, for a sign, for a hint, of the phenomenon beyond the unseeing, the intangible, but there was only a riddle of scars. Blemishes could tell many stories, and an unholy scythe’s chose to remain anonymous. But Lena held no dominance upon damnation and the condemned, could not pick them away from the moaning rivers and the bestial sway, couldn’t pluck them from the gallows when they’d already been chiseled and marked for the barbaric occasion. Her talents laid in bewitching what had already been tarnished, in alleviating pain, in granting hope and repose amongst unrelenting pain and agonies. Had anyone else mustered enchantments? Imogen shook her head in response, narrowed eyes darting from one form to another, all moved, all gasping, but naught exploring into the regions of obliteration. The sylph was forced to declare the unknown and her ignorance over its scruples, bestowing her charitable grin and amiable expression, a twinkle in her eyes, a keen swell in her note - when her gaze settled upon the child’s, she only prospered honeyed words and ambrosial truths. “I have no power over death. Perhaps that is for you alone, little one.” Was it unheard of, to taste death and rise once more? Was she a garbed phoenix, clutched in ashes and embers, regenerated and reborn time and time again?

Lena the Songbird

my song is love - you don't have to be alone
image credits