the Rift

[PRIVATE] Silly Little Dreams (Thor)

December Posts: 144
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 8
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 6 (Frostfall) HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Carl :: Ccara Llama :: None Watermel0nBob

White December
and i go back to december all the time

For some reason, despite every bone in her body begging her not to, White December had gone into the Frostbreath Steppe, a place of eternal snow. It didn't help that it was also Frostfall, causing the temperature to drop into even lowers digits, and causing harsh winds to blow and pierce her ivory pelt. Even the thickness of her winter coat couldn't withstand the bitterness of Frostfall's wrath, and her bodice shivered distastefully. Despite this, she couldn't help but find a sense of comfort in numbing herself via elements.

Turning her massive crown to face the clouded sky, she squinted in an attempt to see through the blistery winds, snow whipping across her smoky muzzle. Snorting with discontent, the shire shifted her weight into a brisk lope, working her way towards the black coastline. The shore was rocky and large, muted in neutral browns and greys that caused the filly to blend right in. She felt eerily calm in this moment, staring out into the black rolling waves that hungrily lapped at the shore. If she had placed her slate hooves into the dark depths, her dark feathers would have been assaulted by icy pins and needles that would seep into her entire being.

Why was she here? What possessed her to come to this wasteland that wasn't anywhere near her new homeland. Only recently had she been welcomed into the Hidden Falls, where the Czar Midas had so kindly led her to. Her mind wandered to the two-toned stallion again, recalling his gallant wings, large and glorious in looks. He had been kind and light-hearted to the dame, and never once lost his smile even when she had been at her harshest. She still had no idea why. The thought had been assaulting her for the past few days, and the world had been a blur as she sank within herself deeper and deeper.

Those gold, pupiless eyes prodded into her mind again and again, and she was unsure if they were welcomed or a nuisance. December was never one to put a lot of thought into one thing, but this Pegasus had her stumped. Perhaps it was because he was her first impression of not only his kind, but of every horse in this land. The real question was whether or not he was a good example of the entire population, or one of the few good ones left.

She decided for now that she would have to leave that for another day. In this moment she would just embrace this moment of solitude, of which times she cherished the most. Ever since she had come into the home of the Hidden Falls, she hadn't had much alone time, and there was always something to do. Taking the time to regain some clarity had soothed her in a way, recharged her to prepare for the onslaught of socialization she would be victim to when she returned to her home.

Turning away from the shoreline abruptly, the female worked her way back into the hills, searching for a larger boulder to shield herself from the harsh wilderness. Her muscles rippled beneath her thick bi-colored fur, and large puffs of snow trailed behind her massive hooves. The 16.3hh woman was used the cold by now, and almost craved the sting of snow slicing into her. The sensation was short-lived as she arrived upon a decent spot, a large overhanging rock that offered acceptable shelter, and even a few crunchy shrubs to much on. Although they would nowhere near fill her stomach, they would suffice as an afternoon snack.

Bringing herself to a halt, she slowly began to tear at the brown leaves, shriveled and long void of any actual nutrition. She would worry about health later, for now she would warm up out of the wind, and give herself something to chew on while she took her little mini-vacation of solitude.

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds

Thor the Gentle Heart

It had only been some time since I’d visited the Steppe and for good reason too. My shoulders ached at the thought of the last time I’d seen the snow-slanted swells of the northern plains but I trudged on anyway. This was part of facing my demons and coming to terms with that haunting memory of not only my experience in the Steppe but the memory of my past transgressions. I’d done so much, used so many, and lost sight of the things I’d once aspired to be. But now, as I stood at the fine line between the Steppe and what felt like the rest of the world, I couldn’t find the strength to control the racing of my heart or the fear rising slowly up from my gut. I felt sick, perhaps too sick to go on any further… But against my will I was pulled into the frosted breeze sweeping over the sullen plains. This was my future.

My heavy footfall shifted the snow and ice from beneath me as I drifted along the borders of the cold land. It was almost as devoid of life as I imagined the Basin to be but there was truly no way of knowing just what lurked within the confines of the north. Everything seemed to stretch on into the vastness of eternity with no song to accompany the death of warmth and satisfaction. My wings, still clinging to the rotted flesh at their base, burned and shuddered with the ripping of the wind. It was quite ironic that the land still appeared to be reaching for them in the absence of the ghostly entity that had attacked me some weeks ago. The thought made my spine crawl…

Snow drifted up from the solid turf as the wind gusted and tugged more violently at my mane, tail, and consequently the failing carcass of my wingspan. I had managed to gain ground by crossing through the Steppe’s empty heart in spite of the tension coiling at my core. However, the soil did not sweep up to assault me as it had that day… the day I’d become infected. I would lose my wings to these plains and I still couldn’t figure out why. That rocked me mercilessly as I turned to glance back at the open landscape, my brown eyes shifting nervously from left to right. Nothing.

Upon veering back toward the borders, feeling more at ease with myself than just moments ago, I spotted a thick draft animal perched beneath a shallow overhang built from the rocky dunes at my left. I hesitated between the decision of approaching or moving on, but something tugged at my resolve and within a short time I was within speaking distance. A low rumble of greeting coursed past my dark lips before I paused just before the mare (as I’d gathered upon closer inspection). “Greetings friend…. I don’t suppose you could spare me a bit of room in there hm?” Without much hesitation, I moved in closer in order to escape the growing gales that roamed in from the west, unwilling to wait on her response. “I’m Thor of the World’s Edge- don’t suppose you have a name?” I attempted a smile in spite of the things I knew she’d be surmising about my appearance alone.

However, I guess we all had a way of depending on first impressions and I wouldn’t deny her that, nor would I feign disinterest myself. She stood nearly as tall as if even if I was a good hand higher than the silver girl. The ashy color of her lower half was vaguely pretty though, as well as those silver eyes the peered out beneath long lashes. We were an equal match in size and stature, but I was yet to know what kind of mare this stranger was to be.

Go on, save yourself

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

White December

The chill had nearly left her bones when she sensed an entity further off from her shelter. Glancing up from her morsel, dark eyes glanced upon a bay beast, easily a hand taller than she and swiftly approaching. Upon first impression he seemed average, but as he closed in and the misty snowfall cleared, his wings were quite obvious, looking disheveled and torn, as if rotting away into oblivion. What could have caused that? It took her a brief moment to register his question, but before she could even lift her head he was pushing himself in, causing her to back up to the wall. Since they were both of large stature, there was very limited spaced between the two draft breeds, and December couldn't help but let a brief flicker of irritation dance across her features before her stoic expression resurfaced.

"There's not much point in asking if you're just going to come in anyway," she snorted, lifting her head and arching her neck confidently, making it clear that she was going to express her displeasure and didn't care how he felt about it. He had been rude enough to barge in after all. Soon he was introducing himself, saying where he came from before asking for a name in return. What was with horses around here and their desire to make friends with any nearby creature that even bothered to breathe in their direction? Lashing her tail against her hocks, she looked into those brown eyes and curtly responded,"White December. If we're going to share I'd at least like to still have my snack. Switch places with me."

Without waiting she attempted to brush past him, a very challenging feat with her bulky build. Seeing the thin gap between him and the hard stone, she knew with the utmost certainty her fat ass was not going to fit in there, but she wasn't in the mood to be polite at this point. So, after an abrupt turn to the left, she walked back out into the tundra, ignoring the gush of ice that ambushed her nostrils, and sidestepped around the brute to where her shrub was located. Taking a large handful into her mouth, she chewed slowly, making sure she could get every ounce of it into her mouth. She wasn't going to waste any bit of it, not during this time of year.

She took this time to take a closer look at the wings on Thor's back, taking note of how beaten they were. One ivory ear flicked in his direction, and steel tipped tresses fell over her large eyes as she stopped chewing, and lifted her massive skull up. Working her tongue around her gums for a moment, her smoky nostrils flared to take in his scent to remember him, before leaning her mass against the wall once more and looking him up and down, wasting no time and getting to the point,"Who did that to you?" She would find him rather daft if he was confused about what she was implying, and if he outright denied it then she'd have to laugh in his face. Well, not laugh, December wasn't the humorous type, but she would most likely mock him. If she was going to have to share her shelter with this fellow giant, then she was going to satisfy her curiosity in the process.

Thor the Gentle Heart

The warmth of the inner ledge made my skin shudder beneath my thick winter coat. But with the chill still clinging to my soul, I was content to ignore the blubbering mare whose protests were evident not only in her body language but in the way she glared at me as well. I supposed not everyone in Helovia possessed the gentle heart I’d been named for. But I could forgive her for being evasive; after all I’d invaded her accommodations and since she was quite the animal, space between us was limited. However, her foul mood was entertaining enough and evoked a soft chuckle from behind my charred lips. “Calm down friend, I’m sure you’re no stranger to the cold of the plains. What’s what saying…? Two great minds think alike, is it? Consider this a compliment- I commend you for your choice of shelter.” I smiled widely to the draft girl before sighing heavily as creeping warmth sparked to life from within. Whether I’d upset her or not, I needed a break from the Steppe.

However, I was not left to treasure my comforts for long because the mare had another agenda entirely. Shuffling aside, I allowed this White December to lumber past me towards a nearby tree, that was still hanging on to dear life in spite of the death winter had brought in her bag of atrocities. “Well, it’s nice to meet you December –mind if I call you December?” I watched as the draft angrily drew away into the plains, once again exposed to the nasty torrent of wind and snow. “I’m Thor by the way!” I hoped she could hear me above the screaming gale but I was still hugely amused by her bad temper as I yelled at her retreating rear end. It had been a while since I’d dealt with anyone quite like her... I guess you could say I found it refreshing.

While watching her snatch and chew a browned leaf or two, I shuffled in closer to the stone wall at the back of the overhang. If anything, I was going to guarantee my place here until I felt strong enough to return to the Edge later in the day. My body ached from illness and the cold but I’d be damned if I would let on to such weakness, at least not in the company of such a bitter creature. Good-naturedly I smiled at the mare from beneath the ledge while her large, iron-colored eyes gazed back at me with a viciousness that suggested a bit of resentment. “You’re welcome to come back when you’re ready!” Even though I dreaded her impending return, at least I’d gained something from my visit to the Steppe.

I’d discovered that I could face my fears.

As images of my attack came flooding back to the forefront of my mind, I nearly missed December’s attempts to unsettle me once again. However, she was testing what I considered to be a very steadfast sense of resolve that I’d acquired with age. But, I still took a moment to mull over the words I intended to share about my experience out there in the plains. I also didn’t intend to spare her any details; after all she’d been quite the ogress about everything until now. “If you really want to know… You see, it was out there on those very plains that I was assaulted by what appeared to be a ghostly entity. It blinded me with snow and ice and proceeded to physically punish me for reasons still unknown.” I looked at the mare with a look of severity that suggested that what I said was the truth. This was not some horror story meant to frighten young children… “After beating me relentlessly, a black smoke poured in from the mountains and infiltrated my entire body. I couldn’t breathe, couldn’t speak, and couldn’t even move to escape the thing. But… it infected me and now it appears it will be taking the wings straight from my back.

I smiled deviously to the mare hoping she would see that I could overcome her attempts to put me ill at ease. I’d seen my fair share of horrors and she was certainly not one of them.

Go on, save yourself

White December

Oh was this man testing her mood. He tried to speak out of good humor, but to her it was condescending and unnecessary. Her eyes shot venom briefly, but she took the time to close them, and attempt to recompose herself. She would not let this stallion get to her, she wasn't going to blow up over something so frivolous as an annoying conversation. When her eyes opened again she found them looking at the bay relaxing in the corner, inviting her back in and shortening her name. Most did this, but the way he had asked in that relaxed baritone caused a spike of irritation to assault her. Only the lash of her tail revealed this though, and even though she wanted to so badly tell him no just out of spite, she kept her cool and spoke in an even, slow tone,"That's what everyone else does. You have no need to do anything different."

Soon she had stripped the shrub bare, before walking back into the shelter she had been fortunate enough to find. Ignoring the prodding annoyance of the male making himself at home, she took the time to listen to the story Thor had been willing to open up about to her. In all honesty she hadn't expected him to answer, everyone else found it challenging to respond to her blunt questioning. This was never intentional of course, she just saw no need in sugarcoating things, and if someone wasn't comfortable answering then they could just say so and she would leave it at that.

Her muscles began to relax now that she was out of the cold, and she slowly leaned herself against the cool stone, looking attentively into those brown eyes. If someone was going to take the time to inform her of something that might possibly be a sensitive topic, she was going to be respectful and listen. As he explained his situation, she could only flicker an ear to the side, not really knowing how to respond. He seemed greatly intent on her believing him, and though it sounded strange she had seen enough strange things during her stay here to believe that other things could happen.

She let a silence drift over the duo after he had finished, and took the time to study him once over before speaking, in a slightly softer tone than before although it still held its stern structure,"Well, that sucks. Wouldn't it just be easier to find a way to chop them off though?" If they were practically useless at this point and only seemed to bring him pain, whether it physical or mental, why would he literally cling on to them and avoid the inevitable.

It took her a moment before she noticed his devious smile, causing her brow to raise and her head to lift slightly, just wondering what was causing him to look at her in such a manner. Stomping her dark leg she tossed her head, removing the now melted snow from her tresses and causing them to splatter to the sides. She hadn't tried to get any on him, but if any did she certainly didn't notice or much care. Once satisfied with the lack of precipitation on her, December turned her attention back to Thor,"Why are you smiling like that?"

Thor the Gentle Heart

What a foul mood to employ at all times; I did wonder if the mare ever smiled or laughed. I imagined she led a fairly casual life filled with anger and animosity… Obviously she was not a friendly creature, no matter her guest. I had attempted to thaw the thick layer of ice around her heart with humor and wild abandon, but nothing appeared to be working. Typical “mare” attitude if you asked me… “I’ll call you what you like December, White December, whatever… I’m not your enemy here.” My voice was unusually harsh in the wake of her continued dismissals and I had no intentions of sticking around for long if she intended to keep insulting me for trying to shelter myself not only from the cold but from the memory of my time out there on the plains.

When the mare’s shrubbery had finally been stripped clean of the browning leaves, she turned that cold stare back to me before lumbering back toward the overhang. I stepped aside to allow her inside but I did not remain. Instead, I shifted to the outer reaches of the ledge so that the snow began to fall softly along my back and rear. I considered myself to be a friendly brute, but if I had reason to behave otherwise, I would.

The dual-toned December shook herself free of the watery flakes that had accumulated across her hide in her time in the snow, but I had already steered clear of her attempts to upset me. She might’ve listened to my tales of woe and feigned alarm but everything she said lacked consideration or concern. Perhaps I would find Evangeline after returning to the Edge… her warmth and kindness would be much needed after spending a day with the cold...

However, a violent laughter erupted from my depths at the mare’s next question. She had no sense of manner or a decent personality to make up for it. My lips curled viciously upward in an attempt to hide the shivering scowl that longed to flatten my expression. She was rude. She was unperturbedly rude. “Tell me, if you went blind in one eye, would you cut it out?” I hissed venomously. My skin crawled for this girl and certainly not in a good way… No matter how good-humored my previous attempts at companionship had been, they were no longer such. My eyes would not find her anymore and when she tried to question me once more, I scoffed and evaded her as if the words had never been spoken.

Never in all my life had I thought someone to be so worthy of belonging to the Basin; whether it was as resident or slave, I didn’t care.

Go on, save yourself

White December

He seemed particularly offended by her response to his question. She didn't really understand how her simply showing that she didn't mind how he addressed her would cause such a harsh response, but she took it in stride and let him be angry. If she were angry about something she would express it too, whether or not it was rude. It was what she had done earlier, and so she felt not pain when he shied away from her returning presence underneath the shelter. She watched as the flakes slowly fluttered on his rump and back, looking at him and speaking in the neutral tone of hers,"You seemed to have contradicted your intention of getting out of the snow. I may be large but there is still enough room for two."

She would suppose that was an offer of sorts, giving him the chance to return back under the shelter should he want to, but without asking or encouraging him to do so. He could do as he pleased, he was his own being after all and she would see no point in forcing him to do something he didn't wish to do. Lashing her tail delicately at her hocks, she watched his expression contort swiftly from her words, a laugh escaping him and a strained smile breaking onto his expression. She had somehow offended him again, how she wasn't sure this time. Was the whole wing thing much more sensitive than she had thought? She was only suggesting a helpful solution to what seemed like a serious problem, but Thor didn't see it that way.

She took the time to ponder his question, looking down at the stony ground free from snow to let her mind mull through the possible answers. Soon she had her answer, and she looked back at him with the utmost honesty,"Well, it depends if it were in my way or not. If it were hurting me and hindering me from functioning in everyday life then absolutely. I wouldn't want to cling onto something that was only holding me back from living life and functioning like I always would. So, if it needed to go then it would go. If it had no harm then it would stay."

Pausing, she took a brief glance into those dark eyes once again with her own, before continuing,"I've offended you. That wasn't my intention. It simply seemed that when you spoke of how those wings were damaged you were pained, and so I was only suggesting a means to rid yourself of that pain. Why hold on to something so painful when you can be free of it, remember it as it was and move on with your life." She looked back to the ground, trying to put her words together. She was never good at talking with others, and she felt she never would be. Social situations were a short circuit in her mind, causing her entire system to scream at her 'DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE'. It took her a moment to realize that she was trying to apologize, but she didn't really know how to say it properly, and so she looked back at him, speaking in a slightly softer tone,"I think I'm trying to apologize. Talking isn't my strong suit."

In that moment, she attempted a sincere expression, but she sort of looked like a confused, half smiling idiot. This was the first time she had ever admitted a flaw to anyone about herself, not because she thought she didn't have any, but because she had never gone so far as to try and... was it reach out? To someone in an attempt to mend a faulty encounter. She valued herself greatly, and never wanted others to see her was weak, for fear they would take advantage and hurt her more than she could ever hurt herself, and she valued what she had made for herself too much to risk that, even if it meant others found her unappealing to speak to. Some would find this arrogant, but she only thought of it as her feeling she was worth worrying about.