the Rift

[PRIVATE] Clue Three :: Backwards

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The world seemed to shift, the faces surrounding you becoming blurred and warped. Voices, hushed and quiet, disappeared, getting too deep and slow to understand. You stood, rooted firmly to the ground as the scenes before you began to stretch, as if they were being pulled backward against their will. The sensation was nauseating, because you knew, deep inside, that you were going the wrong direction. You were observing the wrong time.

Finally, the scene stopped.

You stood at the top of the world alone with nothing but swirling snow and howling winds. The crystals of ice passed right through you, the wind never rustling your fur. You were an observer, unable to affect the timeline, a watcher. Not even the grass beneath your hooves was upset by your weight.

A stallion, old and wise, moved with surprising grace to the top of the hill, looking down. Myrddin. He gazed at the world with a knowing look, his mind obviously shackled by the age of his frame. The sky darkened, black mist gathering at the ground and swirling the hill top. Myrddin seemed curious by this, but fear was quickly growing.

From the mists which grew erupted a violent shadow. Black smoke, tainted with red lunged at the older stallion, knocking him to the ground and tearing his flesh. Myrddin snatched with his teeth, managing to yank part of a feather from the creature which howled. Somewhere beneath the darkness was someone, something very real.

Then, the blackness disappeared and all that was left was the dying figure of a clever man. He whispered but one word: "Moon."

@[Roskuld]

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

When the magic released me, I was already angry. I was gasping and sweating and weak-kneed, like it always left me; my head spun with all the time I had witnessed shifting in front of me, this memory that belonged to no one. Horses don’t get sit but their stomachs cramp, and mine was gurgling and groaning with quite a few things, not just the nauseating experience that this time-hopping thing was turning out to be.

Black feather, black fur. Something dark, covered and almost dripping with smoke, black smoke, that bounced from place to place with relative ease. Moon, that rat-bastard had said. I found my sympathy for the wrinkled old victim to be waning.

“Noooooo, I growled between clenched teeth. I forgot about people around me, since my perception had been skewed by the time-hop; they had vanished around me, and I was thinking too hard, despairing too noisily, to notice their return to my field of vision. So when I threw myself on the ground, limbs flailing helplessly, angrily, in the air, I thought myself well enough alone.

“NOOO, SHUT UP,” I screeched; I AWGH’d and UGH’d and groaned and moaned and pitched a fit in the cold flowers, disbelieving, frustrated with all this evidence that pointed at my brother. Black, smoke, some asshole saying “moon”.

I flopped on my side, heaving for air, the pounding of my heart calming down some. Giving me a chance to think about it. Okay, so it was black, but it was also red, I thought, desperately grasping for some sort of well-thought explanation that didn’t incriminate my brother, a black cloud tinged with red….but couldn’t it have been blood? NO SHUT UP it could’ve already have been red by itself. And….”moon”? Could he have been talking about the moon itself, or someone related to the moon? Mes—NO, he could’ve been talking about the Goddess, couldn’t have he? I gave a tiny groan, my limbs flailing in the grass. Nah, she’s purple, that doesn’t work. That couldn’t have been her underneath the smoke….

I snorted and sat up, my legs folding underneath me. But, I thought, just ‘cuz it wasn’t HER who’s killing stuff, doesn’t mean she didn’t SEND anyone to do it…or something. Which made me flop over on my side again because Pa had pretty much already said something like that. Or at least hinted at it. Jeez, being scientific was stupid.

The solution, obviously, was to keep looking at clues, reading the signs, watch more people get murdered and be no closer to figuring it out. Or maybe I will be, if I got back up and knocked the dust off my hide and kept searching. Looking for any sign, anything that didn’t point dirty, ink-smudged fingers at my bro.

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!