the Rift

[PRIVATE] a thousand years

Phantom Posts: 49
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 10 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

P H A N T O M

It had been several days since Phantom had left the frozen tundra of the Basin and ventured south, leaving a trail of cloven tracks in the snow behind her. Perhaps she could have spent her time in the Basin, familiarizing herself with her surroundings there or meeting with herd members and forming bonds, but she felt her time would be more useful spent elsewhere. Somehow she had managed to get paired up with the spoiled brat that had gone to Dorngarrow to learn from her sire, and two other stallions to solve a set of murders that had taken place. It was, quite obviously, the perfect time to be a newcomer to Helovia.

The clue that was most prevalent in her mind was the feather she had found on the old unicorn's body. It steered her in the direction of suspecting the culprit was a pegasus or a pegasus hybrid. Phantom was not well versed in the ways of Helovia or the pegasi of Helovia, but she remembered from her homeland that the winged ones often roosted in trees. With that thought in mind she had set her eyes on the forest in the distance and made her way there. Now as she walked among the trees, her gaze often finding the canopy far overhead but seeing no nests, she wondered just how different the pegasi were in Helovia. Perhaps she could have asked someone within the Basin to educate her on the pegasi, but she had a suspicion that it would not help. If her hunch was correct all she would get was venomous words about the winged ones and none of it would would aid her in her search.

Phantom, however, was not one to give up easily, so despite the fact that she was ill-informed she continued her search. The white and crimson mare alternated between looking toward the treetops for nests and searching the ground for more dark feathers. She even searched for another freshly murdered corpse. The only body she found on the ground was the scorched remains of what appeared to be an equine. Being from Dorngarrow she knew a warrior's burial, and despite the fallen warrior being an equine, Phantom paid her respects before moving on. Eventually she would find something that would be useful in finding the murderer quickly and putting an end to them.

@[Tamme]
@[Paladin]

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

PALADIN
The sound of iron shocks is stuck in my head

To say he was lost would be an understatement. The once proud stallion was reduced to an arthritic wraith of his former, glorious self. A once, sleek, black coat was dull and thick to protect his fragile form from the perils of winter, and his muscular, proud figure was thinner, gaunt, even. Paladin had tumbled down the ranks as if he had jumped from a cliff, once a leader and now less than nothing. The ache in his bones kept him from being useful, and he would rather waste away, a ghost in the forest, than have to face the judgmental glares of Lace and Aaron again.

Paladin knew he was right. He have lived long enough, been across the map, lead herds. Living with your kind was natural. Living with your people was the most natural, deep instinct you could feel. That he had raged so thoroughly against Mauja and his kind for living in their forest was wrong, though at the time, it felt so right. The entirety of his life had been plagued with decisions that later ended up being foolish.

He had wanted to right the wrongs of his past, redeem himself of his sins. He forged a family in love and they burned in the flames of his heritage. He had wanted to lead, to bring the world justice, and instead, he had displaced a band based on false notions and paranoia. Everything he tried so hard to set right now laughed in his face, and he was resigned to the fact that this was his fate. Karma was just, and this was recompense for his crimes since birth.

So, he stood against a tree in the forest, the bitter cold reminding him that he was still living and breathing, much to his chagrin. A mare moved through the trees, and he was only able to pick her out against the landscape because of the curled, red ram's horns. He didn't recognize her, but he could assume from the shape of her body and the colors that she could hold his bloodline. Ah, Riekahn, ever producing heirs of destruction. Two, deeply wizened, bloody eyes peered curiously from their dark sockets, tracking her movement.

"The winged ones don't live in the trees here," he offered simply.

ali

P H A N T O M

There was nothing, absolutely nothing, in the treetops that even resembled what she remembered a pegasus nest to look like. The largest she had seen belonged to a pair of eagles, much, much too small to even be one abandoned by a pegasus. Searching without having enough knowledge of the winged creatures of Helovia, their nesting habits, or favorite grazing area was difficult and increasingly frustrating. She'd already formed the opinion that most unicorns in the Basin were useless when it came to information that did not center around their own racist opinions.

"The winged ones don't nest in trees here."

Phantom's movement halted abruptly and she lifted her horned head to look in the direction the voice had come from. The stallion was barely visible, standing near the tree. The shadows did well to conceal him, but the shocking red of his mane and the crimson eyes that matched her own helped her to locate him quite easily. Her natural assumption was that he was one of the Crimson King's progeny, and so she approached. "You..." She trailed as she came to a halt facing the old stallion, her eyes roaming over his figure as she tried to place him. "You are familiar."

The pale mare thought back, searching her memories for someone that matched the stallion she was facing. He resembled Riekahn too much for him not to be of the king's blood. There were many siblings that she had met and many that she had not, but there was only one who was infamous for his betrayal. It was his betrayal that had led to so many of them wondering if Riekahn was right in what he was doing. It had inspired some of them to flee and begin their lives anew elsewhere. The white stockings, red tipped hair, crimson eyes, the stripe on his face. Phantom mentally checked each feature off and her head tilted. "You are Paladin."

@[Paladin]
@[Tamme]

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

Paladin's sanguine gaze followed the pale one as she halted in her tracks, hair upended by her sudden movement. He watched, unmoving against the trees. Ophelia was more like her father than she even realized - even the subtlety of their interested gaze was the same. The way they stood, so still, serene against the oaken post, as if nothing in this world could perturb the blood of Riekahn. He was a stalwart, a force, broken, bent and aged, but still a mass of powerful existence.

Her build was stockier than his own, and he was graced with his mother's delicate features - even though he had never met Tammenia. Thus her approach was thicker, moving atoms in a swirl around her body, and he waited, listening. Paladin did not recognize her, but he did not expect to. He ahd revisited once, fought with his father, and left again, abandoning his past forever. Still, it always managed to catch up to him, in some way. Like now.

She would figure it out soon enough.

He had been the first to leave Dorngarrow. The first to defy his position as the general of the massive army. Paladin had run, consumed by the gravity of his sins, and his name lived on, whispered reverently by some and spat angrily by others. Phantom recognized him, indeed, but her emotions were withheld. "Yes," he replied simply. The charismatic, earthy tones of his voice were rich and vibrant, even in his old age.

Paladin could tell the red line on her body, and he took a deep breath. "And you are yet another progeny of Reikahn," he said clearly, frowning. "My condolences," the sarcasm dripped from his tongue in a bitter way, angry about his lineage and how everything in his life had failed. He was alone, mate dead, children off killing for material gain, and he had accomplished a net total of nothing.

ali

P H A N T O M

He did not deny his name as many of Riekahn's loyal warriors gossiped that he might have. Over the years she had listened to gossip centered around her older brother, most of it being that he was a coward for running away when they were in their moment of glory. That he was a treasonous bastard for coming back and daring to challenge the Crimson King. Most wagered that if they came across him in another land he would deny his lineage in fear for his life. They thought him weak, but Phantom was not foolish enough to fall into that mindset. While she did not defend her brother, mostly because she did not know him and did not desire her sire's wrath to be brought down on her, she thought him to be a force to be reckoned with.

"Your daughter carries herself nearly the same manner that you carry yourself." She said as she thought of the Lady of the Basin. The ghost of a smile crossed her dark muzzle before it was gone again. "You have mine as well." Unfortunately condolences could not erase their family history, nor did it help them hide from their pasts. "There are many more of his progeny. Riekahn must keep his army supplied with fresh blood to do his bidding, and young minds are easily molded and shaped into what he desires most. Pawns in his game of war and genocide." She lifted her muscled shoulders in a manner that mirrored a shrug as she spoke of their father. Aside from killing him there was little any of them could do to stop his reign of terror. She doubted any of them were strong enough.

Phantom's gaze settled on her brother's aging face and she sighed quietly. "I am called Phantom." She said. "And I served Riekahn until Donovan left to follow after you." She frowned at Donovan's name and looked up toward the trees. The pale mare was not accustomed to feelings of sadness, and that was exactly what she was feeling as she spoke her deceased brother's name. "I came here searching for him only for find that he is dead. I know search for a murderer. From the clues it seems as if the perpetrator is a pegasus. I thought that I might find them roosting here, but as you pointed out they do not roost in trees here." It was a very odd concept, to Phantom, but one that she would grow accustomed to.

@[Paladin]
@[Tamme]

Deceased
Tamme

PALADIN

The war stallion's brows furrowed at the mention of his daughter. Which one? Who would carry themselves like him? It almost brought a smile to his lips that they carried on after him, even after so long apart, but that expression did not touch - it remained only a thought. "You've seen Ktulu? Or Ophelia?" he asked curiously, wondering where she had seen them and what they were doing. He was almost afraid to ask for fear that his heart would break again by their choices.

Condolences were issued, and he nodded, thinking about his sire. Age did not seem to affect the Crimson King like it did him and his mortal progeny, and he sighed. Long after Paladin's passing would there be more like him, more wars fought, and he and his memory would fade into the past. "I am not surprised he is still stuck on that crusade," he snorted humorlessly. "I once thought him wise, but that was long ago. Now, that everything is in ashes, ruined, I realize the pointlessness of his plight."

She introduced herself, her muscular shoulders so familiar and powerful in their family line. Donovan had passed too? He frowned, wondering how his powerful, quiet half-brother had met his end. Hopefully, he prayed, in battle. "I am sad to hear that Donovan is gone. He was... the best of us, I feel," he said quietly. "My half-brother was strong, resolute and still quiet, observant. I hope, somewhere, that his line lives on, for his traits were sound and good."

Paladin nodded once, slowly. "The Pegasi live in the Dragon's Throat, which is south from here. Last I knew, Kri ruled there. She is as cranky as she is unreasonable. The World's Edge also had a pegasus leader. Those are the two places I am aware of that have many," he explained, trying to be helpful even though his information was outdated. "I am pleased that you seek his killer. That is noble, Phantom."

The Valiant, a title that fit less every day, watched her with his wise, powerful crimson eyes. "I hope Helovia treats you well. Though you owe me nothing, I ask you to please look out for my daughters. Their trials as children mirror ours, and they can easily fall to the wrong path. Remind them who they are."

@[Phantom]

ali

PHANTOM
So scatter all my ashes when I'm dead And shatter every legend in my head

"Ophelia." Phantom said in response to Paladin's question. "I met with her a short time ago after arriving here and being taken to the Basin. She leads there." She watched the stallion's face for his reaction, wondering how he knew so little of his children's whereabouts when he had so few, or so she assumed from the two names he had spoken. "The other I have not met as of yet. If she is as steadfast as her sister then I must commend you on raising two strong daughters." The corners of her mouth quirked upward and a short laugh escaped her. "Ophelia is .... quite reasonably distrustful of our family. She is a smart girl. I am sorry that I have no information on Ktulu. If I find anything out I can give you information if we cross paths again." For whatever reason part of her suspected that she would not be meeting her brother again. Intuition. Phantom snorted quietly. Intuition was nothing more than a fallacy.

Pale ears tilted forward as she listened to Paladin speak of thinking Riekahn was wise. "We are all born fools." She replied. "Riekahn exploited that a thousand times over. Fortunately for us, we learned. We became intelligent. We became individuals. We may be mortal and we may die before there is ever a grave deep enough to hide Riekahn's foul body, but we will not die fools."

The air seemed to become thick and quite heavy as the subject turned from Riekahn to Donovan and his passing. Phantom nodded her agreement and hope that his line had not died out with him. "Ophelia did say that her sister gave Donovan a proper funeral." She said, offering that little tidbit of information to the Valiant. "It does nothing to bring him back, but there is a little bit of comfort in knowing that he was not cast aside and forgotten." She disliked speaking of her brother's death, but did not allow it to show on her face. Paladin may have been her other brother, but she did not know him well and did not care to share her pain or grief with him.

"Thank you." She replied in response to the information he had given her about the pegasi in the other herds. "I will make a point of visiting them to see if I can garner any information on the killer." She was not sure if seeking the killer was really a noble cause or something she was doing simply out of self preservation. The sooner whoever it was was caught the sooner she could allow herself to relax, even just a little.

Phantom was surprised when Paladin asked her to watch over his daughters and guide them. How was she to do that? She was not a guide. His worry over them, however, was well founded as history always seemed to repeat itself. "You love your daughters." She murmured. "I wonder if you told them before they struck out on their own."

"."

@[Paladin]