the Rift

[PRIVATE] Night Minds [closed]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
She had abandoned her post with all the grace of a butterfly caught in a web...

These cold months of Frostfall had been among the cruellest...

Another blizzard began to descend, penetrating the rugged, weather-beaten canopy of the old southern Helovian forest which had become both home and sanctuary for a decrepit, stray mare. She was not much to look at really. Her skin was flaking, her coat dull, patchy and much too thin for the season. Her body was lean, hips pointed and protruding, and a single wing was clasped against the visibly ribbed barrel - though it was half naked and held nothing of the glory born to her. The cold featherless skin had been bruised by snow and wind; blood caked around damaged follicles, evidence that quills had not long ago grown there. Her eyes were sunken, pitiful, and they were glazed with confusion, hurt and regret; she had never been quite able to veil those windows to the heart. Her tattered form stood motionless beneath the lowest limbs of a twisted old pine and her face was downcast, long ears clamped backwards; flames barely flickering above the curl of oil-heavy mane. The wisdom bestowed had been long forgotten; its giver was but a shadow in memories let to fade – those of when times had been better.

The howling wind harassed her and churning snow caught in the clenched rim of long lashes, but she barely noticed; cold, wet, hungry – Africa had not the resolve to care.

What went so wrong?

She had not always been so wretched, so hopeless and withdrawn. In fact, only months ago the world had been her oyster – there had been for her a home, responsibility, faith, security... even a lover. Perhaps that was where it had all begun to fall apart. Had he not been the last in contact with her? Where was he now? Africa neither cared nor remembered in truth.

It all felt like a lifetime passed.

A branch above her head creaked and a little leather pouch fell through the flurrying snow with a soft thud as it came to rest by her hooves. Eat, please... a voice insisted, interrupting the depressive, numbing silence she had come to prefer. Damp lips wandered down to find the morsel of fruits and grains Silas had removed from Sky Island, but she ignored his gift, and sullenly turned away from it.

He had seen this coming – he had not been able to prevent it.

The zephyr nestled down across his freezing feet, claws stiffening around the soggy, tired bark of the branch, downy breast feathers encasing both in warmth. If she wouldn’t feed herself, there was little else he could do for her; he was small in comparison, weak against the strength of her stubbornness, so he resigned simply to keep her company while she stewed and suffered, exiled from her mind and shielding him from her thoughts. It tired him. He worried for her constantly of course and flew often to retrieve food from the only lush place left in all of Helovia just in case she should wake from this gloomy, isolating slumber. Since the island’s occurrence, few travelled so far into the wilderness where she had hidden herself; here there could be no help to guide her free.

Africa sneezed below and Silas glanced down. He could not see her, the snowstorm was relentless – she would catch her death almost certainly if harsh weather like this continued. He had lost track of time...

How far away was Birdsong now?

Again his neck sank into the warmth of his thick feathery collar and striking violet eyes blinked jadedly against the wind as a wave of fatigue threatened to lull him into sleep.

“Silas?” The muffled sound, a choked voice rose from beneath.

The zephyr fell swiftly from his roost and gently he found the soaked, chilled skin across the steep pitch of her spine. What is it? he answered, plunging freely for the first time since they had fled, into the spinning sea of her thoughts. “Don’t... alone anymore...” the forlorn mare stammered aloud, sobs wracking the clarity of each word. Africa had been crying for hours and frozen tears dangled from her quivering lashes as they fluttered briefly. “Everything is such a mess (she continued), and I’m so lost, and confused. And I don’t know what to do! Tenderly her doting companion began to preen the fouled, burning mane atop her withers. “I can’t go back...” she yelped, feeling the guilt of her desertion settle down upon her like the weight of a thousand boulders. You don’t have to... he answered.

But where then was she supposed to go?

There is another... Silas started ever so gently, guiding her thoughts if she would let him to the one safety net who had always existed – interrupting promptly her rising memory of the bat-winged stallion who he had never cared much about. No, not him... he soothed. And then she remembered; her brother, her perhaps dearest friend. “I should find Midas?” she asked, whispering as the image of that winding cliff-path to his home fell like a veil across her eyes. The zephyr purred kindly, perceptively, and he felt the shiver crawl through the skin beneath his grip.

Africa shook away the melting, saturating snow which had fallen and settled like a thin sheet over her. Suddenly she felt the burning cold as it sank deep beneath her skin; her joints were stiff and they ached, and her bones seemed to shudder as she forced them to life. They had a long distance to cover, and she had not the strength to bear the transformation into parrot form. Slowly they began to make their way through the labyrinth of gnarled, half naked trees in a northerly direction – one which would carry them far from the desert, her past, and because nestled in the foothills beyond the Threshold lay a hidden sanctuary, and a shoulder therein who had never before forsaken her.

A number of nights passed before Africa and Silas found themselves in the company of the thinning trees where the Deep Forest began to blend into the Threshold. A bright midday sun danced down in thin shafts through the frayed canopy to warm her cold, wet hide as she passed through – it was heartening in one way, but it frightened her also, reminding her constantly that her actions would undoubtedly have irritated the God of the Sun who had blessed her in so many ways. It did seem, even to her, like she had cast insolently aside His favour and His confidence in her, and it troubled her gravely. Africa had meant not to disgrace Him so hideously. She had not meant to abandon her post either, or fail so wretchedly at any duty given to her.

Foolish, pitiful tears again began to well in her glazed, bloodshot eyes. Was this truly who she had become?

“I want to wait...” she whispered suddenly driving to a halt, unwilling to leave the cover of the forest when the eyes of the Throat could be near to set upon her and judge. She wondered timidly if she had been right about the Wildfire’s return; whether his aim had been to take back power over his land – and rightfully so. The antlered stallion was easily as intimidating as Kri the Resolute had been through her reign, he was fierce, ambitious and everything the one-winged was not. She mused too about Sohalia the Transcended, her pale-coated friend who had been so seldom seen when Africa grappled in vain to keep their herd alive.

Where was Ampere now?

Did any of them wonder what had become of the Africa? Or was she barely a murmur in the pages of history now; a starry-Eyed girl who had floundered beneath the true weight of responsibility. She was so disappointed and felt so empty, but she was a coward, yes; she had abandoned the wealth of that life and had only herself now to blame.

The frail-hearted grey wanted to wait for another blizzard to sweep in. The air was ripe with the taste of fresh snow, it was freezing, and the ominous grey clouds above seemed burdened and heavy (mirroring a tortured mind). Silas understood the request, though he was not altogether delighted with the idea of his vulnerable, sickly companion spending more time in the wilds – there had been comfort dwelling inside the borders of a territory, protection and safety, all of which had given his mind peace.

It will snow soon, I’m sure... her thoughts murmured as knees stiffened and glassy eyes wandered towards the stewing heavens for validation; but the cautious zephyr could not wait any longer.

For @[Midas] only
Image | Table by Silk
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Unmeasurable. Impossible. I stared at a blank wall of smooth stone with a somber, vacant expression. Silence. These prisons I'd help build, they became a temporary place of isolation. Nobody thought to look for me here. I stood inside these cold, silent rooms with nothing but the sound of my heartbeat and slow misty breath for company. My mind was numb, but it also raced. Spun with visions of my colead and her bony body, those hollow gems, so crazed and wild ; finding precious moments of clarity by peering at me as if my soul was somehow worthy of the trust she so readily gave. Those eyes haunted my slumber, they robbed the peace of my wakeful hours. I had watched a friend slip from this world, helpless and heartsick to cure an inflicted mind.

"Mi-dus," a soft, silvery voice tugged my heart and slipped timidly into a pain ravaged mind. Neve, she learned how to say my name a few days ago; and I didn't have the heart to push her aside. Even with grief still acute upon features and slipping into our bond. The ice princess is a child, the young Zephyr couldn't truly understand why I sorrowed, or why I sometimes cried out in my sleep.

She lavished a lock of my mane with gentle tugs. Trying in vain to make me feel better. I didn't halt her attempts of comfort. My cheeks are cold, wet with grief and the white of each eye bleed from lack of sleep. I still ate and drank, mostly for Fina, who had taken it upon herself to patrol and become my personal therapy. The phoenix touched my mind and urgently slipped me a image of someone, a lean figure standing near the edge of Helovia threshold. Only partly visible by a pale sheet which was beginning to fall from heaven. It was a frame I recognized almost instantly, her limp appendage drooped low. Golden pools rose, frantic and wide. I stumbled toward the doorway, squinting into the sunlight. A renewed sense of purpose swept across my soul, I grapple to it as a fevered man that was upon his knees in need of salvation. "Watch her," I pressed. For my sake, she traveled back and circled. Neve chirped, curious where we were going and mildly excited that we were leaving the wretched den I'd chosen to grieve in.

Wings unfurled, sore from being tucked back. They willingly surrendered the warmth that had been kept neatly insulated. I drove into heaven, thrusting fast and hard. Paying little heed to the chilling wind lashing my face. Tiny talons dug deeper as Neve tightened her grip upon my flesh and dipped her feathered head down out of the current. We traveled at a steady pace, flecks of snow struck my pelt, melting on contact. A thickened layer of fur would keep me warm for awhile, or at least until the cold turned wet and began to seep through.

Why did this almost feel like a repeat of events during previous weeks. Would Africa return to me, only to be broken beyond repair? Just as Seele had been...I couldn't bare to watch her fade in that same way.

Fina was easy to spot, her simmering wings sent impressive heat waves gliding beneath the sun. She circled a cluster of timber. I leaned forward, angling toward the ground, a snarly canopy of sickly white branches forced me to land in small clearing just beyond the line of trees. Hooves kissed frost and snow at a wobbly canter that sent a wave of muck flying behind my charging feet. The trees loomed, their branches cloaked in winter colors. I walked to the edge of their line, Africa?" The sky had burst, snow was falling all around.

MIDAS

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased
“...Silas, no!”

The haggard, one-winged mare’s voice trilled anxiously through the frigid air as her jaded companion spread his wings and flew away. She danced fretfully across blunted, chipped toes, adrenaline shocking her lethargic body to life; pacing with eyes agape – searching, pleading, begging for the zephyr’s dark form to materialize once again. She was angry with him, resentful, though she could never have known that he had not strayed far. Above and beyond her ability to reckon at that point in time, another set of eyes monitored – a fiery, fierce gaze that was readily and gratefully discovered by the starry black avian, and it was to her that Silas had flown.

I don't need your help! ...her thoughts lashed bitterly after him, but her heart ached with confusion, longing only to find some sense in the calamity that seemed to have claimed her existence. Her knees stiffened suddenly and her jaw did the same, narrowing eyes glared harshly at the point where he had vanished into the Threshold wilderness ahead. Why is this happening to me? ...she wanted to screech into the moaning, icy wind as loudly as she ought. Her snaking neck snapped viciously, sending the flurry of re-energized flames into a whirling frenzy; illuminating her for the entire world to see.

Africa shrank back promptly between the dense undergrowth from which she and the zephyr had crept. She did not want to be seen or found, not like this – she was not ready. The flames riding the fearful bow of her neck began quickly again to dull. The satchel, it was back where she had been standing, but the agitated mare dared not venture out again to find it, instead slipping (oblivious to the hawk-eyes above) back into the Deep forest where the cold silence of winter rose to embrace her return.

The respect she held for Midas the Gallant was immeasurable – it was wrought through eased posture every time he stood close, laced her soft breath whenever she spoke to him, and glazed tender eyes with select care and affection. This time, Africa did not want to burden his shoulder with the weight of her trivial tragedies; the sort that seemed always to flank her as the child he knew. Their time apart as she floundered beneath the struggle of power (while he no doubt glided excellently as always above his own), had pressed heavily on her heart. She had missed his steady company feverishly, and a great many confronting realisations were beginning now to dawn on her.

The giddying and deceptive nature of infatuation was perhaps one...

With a bubble in her throat, emotion choking the breath from her lungs, Africa began hurriedly to nibble the flaked hide across her naked shoulder, to groom pathetically when few feathers remained on the other side to pull... But she stopped suddenly, attention caught by the flutter of golden weight in her mane. What would he think of her now? Grim eyes wheeled to find the bruised wing clutched against her barred barrel and she lifted it hesitantly outwards, cursing silently her compulsion to pick. Never had she damaged herself so awfully.

I need that bag...

Her heart lurched, torn between despair and guilty pride. I need the cloak!

It had been stuffed amidst the rubbish that the mare had collected over time, things that she had treasured; the feathers that were a gift from the Sun who she had forsaken. She felt that guilt turn her stomach and flush like molten shame through her mind. I was never good enough... she consoled herself vainly, as though the God of the Sun had indeed voiced the thought in decree. The dissatisfied burn of his eyes was still etched against her frail confidence, but for now she shunned it, and all memory of Him.

Hasty strides skidded to a halt – the bag lay just ahead.

With wide eyes she scanned the trees around her for movement, surveyed the thinning forest of the Threshold ahead. It was too late; rippling sinew broke clear through snow and timber, and shining silver glinted as the sunlight brushed its surface. Angrily, Africa’s thoughts grazed her companion – but they were apart, he was not there to find. The Gallant’s voice summoned forward her flickering ears just as snow began to melt from the sky, and Africa sneered silently, “HA!” ...at the irony of the situation.

Image | Table by Silk
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The naked bramble, twigs and snow covered holly was thick, but not so tangled to conceal her lean frame entirely from my view. I could see the outlining flicker of flames, a memorable mark of sun. A slope of her grey dappled shoulder and tattered wing covered in grime. Tangled locks of soiled hair...My crown leans over, shifting to the right and left in an attempt to see past the cloak of trees. "Africa...?" I whispered, half wondering through the haze of a sleep deprived mind if this was all just in my imagination. Perhaps my journey was all a poorly constructed dream and I would wake to find those cold, uncaring slabs of rock around me once more.

Fina's trill song filled the air from somewhere above, she seemed agitated about something. I took a small step into the shadows, abandoning the warmth of sunlight for darkness. The Africa I knew would have come forward, she'd have greeted me as if our time apart had been nothing but a span of a few hours. "Are ye...?" Chipped off, my throat was simple closed off. Why did a normally steady voice sound so strained, weak? I half expected the girl to vanish, as if she were some elusive spirit sent to trick me or a fragment of my imagination.

"Why...?" Yar, why what? Why did fate have to be so cruel, why did Seele have to die, why did Africa disappear, only to reappear a malnourished...broken looking woman? I'm broken too. Today I can't console her wounds or sorrows the why I'd might have. There are to many fresh emotions, to many tears unshed.

MIDAS

Deceased
Lost... I got lost wandering, looking for forest ‘shrooms and fern root again. Don’t you think the trees just blend together? They all look the same after awhile. The snow is laid so thick this Frostfall – where’s the path?!... She could see his sleek black face as it craned this way and that to peer through timber and vine after her; golden markings and depthless eyes appeared to be duller as damp flakes fell thinly at first from a bleak atmosphere; but they were soon lost as the snow fell thicker and heavier. Again his voice greeted her trembling grey ears, but it was not his she thought, it seemed frail and without the warmth she might have ordinarily expected.

“It’s me Midas... yes.” She answered quickly his second plea – the weak tendency of his voice rattled her, quelled the resentment still curdling her blood, and compelled her forward from the bristly camouflage. She angled herself carefully but discreetly as she closed the distance between them, allowing not the ruined state of her wing to be blatantly obvious. You know me, cave dwelling and Unicorn wrangling are messy hobbies... she shrugged inadvertently as another excuse formed in her in mind but it dissolved almost as quickly. Pale, sandy eyes danced hesitantly around the Gallant’s face.

Was he tired? Sick? The blasted snow made it so difficult to see.

‘Why?’ he asked her and the sickly mare peered cautiously at him through one narrow eye, thin, long face turned to the side. “Why what?” she mused quietly, curiously, unsure just what exactly he was referring to. She snatched the soggy, bulging leather satchel off the ground by its flaccid strap before coming to rest by the stallion’s front and dropping it again. Pointed hips skewed beneath wilting skin as she rocked to rest a hind-hoof in the slush. “What's wrong?” He was not himself she realised suddenly as the thrum of her heart began to quicken – and quickly, appropriately, she felt ridiculous, like perhaps it should have been him all hidden away in the woods to rot.

The Gallant was not so weak or pitiful though; he was everything but, and she felt all the more guilty for letting such trifling tribulations interrupt her life - her common sense. It occurred to her suddenly that she needed help, that this ridiculous, endless bipolar cycle needed to be broken.

Though it was quite probably too little too late (she was damaged, no question about it), Africa reached with pursed lips to brush him; warm breath spilling nearer with concern. He gave her purpose when her spiralling life seemed so unbearably futile; grounds to stop and reflect, to shun her vanity altogether. She remembered the vicious battle in the northern slopes when Midas had brought down a thug to his knees for her sake – the violence had frightened her, provoked an urge to heal and help, but the one-winged mare had done naught but wallow instead in the misery of an ineffective existence. Selfishness... She had staggered in every direction but the one originally yearned for. Was that her failing?

She was no leader that was a certainty.

She had served Him conscientiously and exclusively, but her faith wavered now beneath guilt. Had she ever been good enough?

She had deviated so far off course, been blinded by greed and ambition, and her heart had been soured terribly by the curse of adulthood. “What’ve I done... she sighed wretchedly beneath her breath, a wave of hot emotion threatening to glaze her eyes with brine and cripple her weary knees beneath. Who have I become?! A bitter, sullen and volatile individual working as hard as she possible could to ostracise herself from the peaceful good-nature her mother had inspired. Her mind ached for Silas then, beckoning him down from the vague sheet of white, but he had parted from Fina in good faith – content that safety would soon enough descend on the mare he barely recognized.

She needed to start again...

Image | Table by Silk
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Africa isn't a trickster spirit after all. Or a figment of my imagination, which hadn't been extremely likely-- I might be worn, sad and slightly lethargic, but my mind was ever firmly intact. Yar, at least she is real, breathing, alive. The heat those trembling steel colored nostrils exhale send warm waves into Frostfall, with swirling clouds of moisture. It vanishes and fades away into the unforgiving air. Gone are sleek curves and womanly features she bore not many months ago. Months when the air had burned in Tallsun, she'd been sleek, proud, all outward appearance showed a capable leader. This girl who stood before me was nothing of the same creature.

Why...? Oh yar, I'd uttered that word aloud for her ears to catch, and question. Aye. "Nothing..." I whispered, which was the truth. The 'why', question couldn't be answered. Not by Africa. Her yellow ivories grappled for something laying against the snow. I automatically followed her motions with my eyes as she grasped hold of a floppy, wet, brown thing. She dropped it at my feet, I lingered on it with indifference. It wasn't until her warmth came near, a velvet muzzle drew close. This body once again came alive, my flesh flinched where those hot tendrils washed. Wearily, these honeyed pools rose to her face, slide along the sharp arch of a cheek and down the length of that long neck. Africa inquired on my well being and the worn frown on my face deepened. Though, it should be noted that on the inside I felt like laughing hysterically. She was standing here, looking about as cold and wet as the snow itself and this half starved, bony woman was asking what's wrong with me? "Seele..." softly, I spoke the name of a departed friend as if treading upon thin ice. "She...passed on a few days ago." It still felt like yesterday.

Lingering in the downpour was pointless for us both. I didn't allow much room for her to intercide with pity or comfort, instead I said with an ounce of renewed purpose, "Come, let's get someplace warm, out of the weather. Ye looks nearly frozen wearing that wet coat."

MIDAS

Deceased
It seemed to be the regular nature of their intricate relationship – one crumbling like weather-beaten shale as the strain of life grew unbearable, and the other bristling and setting aside woes of their own in show of support. Were they really so different inside?

The Gallant breathed ‘Seele...’ and the snaking, powder-white wind devoured it hungrily, roused into frenzy as though his melancholy were fuel for its restless belly.

Flames licked wildly along the outstretched length of the mare’s pitched nape – fire whose constant glow now reminded her only of sacrilege and infidelity. She had wished so terribly to impress Him, to sway His proud, pristine view so that He might in turn feel she was a worthy follower. Why though? Why not the Moon? Why not Time or Earth? Because all she had ever known was the desert – His desert. Without Midas though, that southern land felt unbearably barren and lonely, not at all like the home she had known.

There was no chance to revel in self pity though now, and sympathetic, sunken eyes touched delicately the sober expression that seemed to fall like a veil across the raven-black sheen of his face.

The name Seele was familiar. Africa remembered her as the leader of the Asylum, an ally of the Throat through the ages, and more recently the Czarina of Hidden Falls.

Dapple grey head fell as the weight of amassing confusion grew too much, and she gazed for a second with scattered focus at the wet satchel in the snow. She was all too familiar with death; the pain of loss which lingered in those left behind long after bones had bleached through turning seasons. She remembered still the haunting, glazed stare of unconscious eyes, the gruesome shudder of departing life and the unnerving still of a body without breath after – crimson snow, harrowed flesh... horned demons turning her way. Gulping fearfully, she lifted her eyes again. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered sorrowfully.

As the blizzard thickened around them, the Gallant’s winged shoulders seemed to stiffen and his resolve to strengthen – be that for better or worse. Even if Africa had wished to console him at length with words, he offered her not the chance. Her throat lifted to the tune of his remark, and she nodded quietly, masking for now the grave uncertainty lingering in her heart. She thought suddenly when he mentioned warmth that he was referring to desert sand, and hesitated with trembling knees, lips extending promptly to draw him back should he be in any sort of rush. “Wait...” she blurted anxiously, “let us go north to your home – please?” And though she’d not meant it, her shaking voice was nearly pleading.

Image | Table by Silk
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
I'd no such intention in escorting her to the southern portion of this land in the middle of a blizzard; certainly not with her fur (what little winter coat there was) obviously soaked to the core, slicked back and steaming with the amount of heat this fragile girl was losing to the environment. The wind was becoming a snarling howl, our last warning, before this trip became a death sentence.

Her frantic remark worries me, but it also lures a tender smile to my face, one of familiar compassion. It is the first to emerge for many eves, and it comes for her, "Aye, we travel North. To Hidden Falls." Why had she forsaken the sandy haven for these cruel wildlands? Yar, and where was Silk? This wasn't the place for pointless questions, so I quelled the urge and bent my crown forward to earth. Small locks of hair stuck to curves and began to freeze; ashy lips gave way to grasp at the saturated bag at my feet. Slowly I turned with the satchel hanging low, ebony ears swiveled expectantly to catch her footfalls and allow Africa to set our pace. Our slow march would be a frigid one, the dark overseer had burst open. His snow was no longer delicate flakes, but clumps as large as acorns.

Fina was scouting ahead for trouble, though more likely than not we are the only fools out here. The drifts were collecting fresh fluff at a rapid rate, I walked near my sister in the growing slush. Breaking the way just ahead to make her steps easier to manage. All the while keeping watch over that bony, dappled frame that so keenly reminded me of the malnourishment, and abuse Seele suffered before death. Africa's feathered appendage, or what used to be was tattered; tis hardly a wing anymore. Other than offering a supporting presence there was little else I could do to make our journey easier.

"Does.. thee have the energy to transform?" It was half mumbled through the cloth grasped between my teeth, but still immpressivly understandable. I remembered how she took the shape of a parrot on occasion, "If ye can. I will carry thee." My mind may be weak, but there was yet power in these muscles; power enough to lift a tiny bird, "it would aid us both if ye can." Neve stuck her feathered head from the bed of white she so easily blended into, steely eyes gazing with a child-like curiosity mixed with an almost mature knowing -- for she alongside Fina knew my thoughts and since the day of her hatching knew whom had been on my mind.

MIDAS

Deceased
Her chest felt tight. As though a great serpent had bound its powerful length right around the front half of her; crushing, constricting, and within, her heart skipped and shuddered to the dramatic pulse of anxiety. Pale, poorly eyes were laid upon the black and white Czar as he replied and quickly the agonizing panic that had engulfed her so suddenly lightened.

A coward hides... Africa thought glumly, but it was hardly a revelation; her puny self-confidence had over the course of the years been eroded almost entirely, and the downcast dappled mare thought little of herself, her existence, already. As it were, the snow fell too heavily between the pair for her to notice any trace of the smile that had cracked through the stallion’s sorrow, but she did notice the shadow of his neck reaching down to find her bag – a petty lifetime’s worth of garbage, all worthless and pointless...

The mare's throbbing heart sank bitterly and though she wanted quickly to tell him to leave the bag where it lay (now half buried and frozen), the one-winged had neither the energy nor the will to bother.

The dark outline of brawn began to move ahead slowly through the curtain of winter and Africa followed promptly, roused by fear - the risk of losing him again, far more ominous than any freezing, furious blizzard around them. Lethargic legs pulled her careworn frame along behind as though it were cloaked over in all of the worries of the world; chipped hooves sank heavily as they found the trough left in his wake, and she was thankful. Icy snow gathered in her long fluttering lashes, stinging hot, glassy eyes and making any effort to view ahead difficult. So she closed them gently and sighed, allowing the length of her flaming Spanish neck to guide forward searching nostrils until the familiar taste of his body, of the steam rising from it, ignited her senses.

Oh! How she had missed his company.

All hint of the sovereign she had pretended to be was no longer; now she knew that such power and responsibility was hardly the destiny she sought. She had been thrown like loose rubble to fill a space owned by the Wildfire, by Midas himself; just filler - a failure - with probably the very best of intentions... But the God's gesture had been doomed even before it had begun. Africa was a mere shadow of the girl who once danced in the presence of the Gallant. He gave her strength and passion; reason to strive and smile, it had been he that first set her heart alight all those many years ago, and still whenever he was near she felt quietly giddy.

So what of Satanic Silk?

For now his memory was cast aside, she was sick, tired and the thought of him confused her. She had lured him from the Falls like a wicked siren of the sea only to vanish later, without a trace. It was well though, she needed time to think and work through feelings about the chaos left behind. He would be fine without her – they would all forget soon enough. And Africa was prepared to hide herself from them for as long as it took; at least so her mind and frayed confidence could begin to heal. She wished never to be so far from Midas again.

He asked a question and its low tenor distracted her spiralling mind. Transform? Lean legs halted hesitantly and long dark ears ventured forward to find him. “Yes,” she answered softly, though she didn’t know if that were really true. Thought of the excruciating ability sent shivering waves through the thin, sodden coat of grey dapples, but she braced regardless and focused the small strength she had left.

Slowly her bones began to warp, twist and shrink; muscles stiffened and tendons snapped loose. Her body seemed to disintegrate, to shrivel, and feathers to match each shade of her dreary pelt sprouted all at once and shed their sheaths. Four legs became two clad in scale, with claws not hooves; and thick, tangled tendrils of hair disappeared altogether. Several blunt scarlet feathers grew behind, and both wings were restored – perfect and working. These drooped by each side however as weariness descended upon her, and Africa fumbled across awkward toes and fell, light golden eyes searching for the stallion finally before she fell deep into slumber.

With silent wing beats a black, star-spangled zephyr fluttered down to her and his talons wrapped tenderly about the small, limp avian body. He lifted her with meticulous care into the icy gale and turned toward the black and white stallion as though for instruction. Silas had been waiting so long...

Image | Table by Silk
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Her quiet reply is nearly missed and lost to the snarling, frothing, salivating storm that ravaged around us. Both velvet points are angled tightly against my skull, lost in a sea of frozen ebony hair that was quickly becoming matted with melting snow. I imagined those furry tips are starting to turn blue from being so cold, yar, at least they still worked well enough to draw in the change of crunching feet from the rear. I pause, angling to peer behind, through a sheet of ominous white.

She was changing, thank Earth. I was beginning to fear our night was to be spent among the drifts -- a body could only weather a tolerated amount of abuse, and I wasn't sure what Africa could survive at this point. Those bones shrank away. Crunching, breaking; I stifled the urge to scowl, the change from a powerful, graceful equine form, to that of a hollow avian... tis not pleasant thing to witness. Indeed, every time her body slipped into that form I felt a wave of nausea race across my stomach. Bile rose and I almost regretted asking her to transform.

The action was soon complete. Those horrible grinding sounds of bone and flesh breaking, being reborn, stopped. What lay in the snow was a small grey bird, soon to be white if left there for longer than a few moments. She was quickly being covered by snow.

Fina chortled from somewhere above. Tis the only warning I received before Silas dropped from the sky, his midnight feathers a shinning contrast against this pale world that threatened our lives. I turned, watching through the haze as he grasp her vulnerable body. "Neve," I whispered, "Might she borrow thee nest?" The ice princess considered for a moment; tis not the cold or snow which gave her pause, (this weather was actually preferred to anyother.) Compassion wasn't a trait brought by birth, it was learnt, and she had yet to be taught such a lesson. Hesitantly, that shy little avian relinquished her hold on my mane and feathers. She crept further down my spine, gaze trained curiosity toward Silas. "Thank ye," I would have liked to offer greater amounts of praise for this accomplishment. Yar, but thanks is all my intentions could muster right now.

"Silas," I said softly, my voice being swept by the wind so I raised it, "Bring her if ye can, I'll keep ye two warm." Neve chirped and titled her crown to one side, as if trying to figure out some complex equation.

Once Africa and her companion was nestled in the protected of feather and fur, I began to trudge along once again. Ivory molars would have long since chattered my mouth into two separate pieces had my jaw not been so tightly clinched. The howling storm gave me pause on occasion, my knees were sore, but at least they weren't numb. Yet.

I was a violent shivering mess by the time those familiar cliffs loomed overhead. (Not to mention also painfully damp.) Gaze drifted up, weary and half lidded, I'd been blinking away the ice which was continuously mounting my lashes. Fina soared down, landing easily across my spine as if this weather was nothing to be concerned about. Neve sang delightfully and edged closer to her flaming sister. The crooked mountain path was riddled with snow and ice, almost completely impassible. I considered flying, and another blast of frigid artic air shut that idea down rather swiftly. Fina and Neve stiffened their hold as I mounted the crooked stairs.

It quickly became a game of sliding back two steps and gaining one. Thus taking thrice as long to get up and over those cliffs, sweat or mayhaps water was slipping beneath my pelt. Each droplet felt like a thousand little flees slithering underneath all that fur. Once at the top, I reluctantly opened my feathers, visibly flinching and swaying. Despite the chill, gliding would be better than sliding to the ground on my belly. A few moments later my toes touched snow once more.

The prisons were just ahead, after several minutes I found myself at the door to the 'grieving den' as Fina had come to call it. She scoffed and shot the back of my head a narrowed look, I offered her a frozen grimace and stepped through the cold doorway. Once inside I turned, dropped the stiff bag and dug deep inside my magical reserves. Swiftly I called upon my talent to summon earth and sand from deep beneath the snow. It took longer than desired, but eventually I'd gathered enough to build in front of the bars. Aside from a tiny sliver of air filtering from uptop, I'd successfully sealed us in from the storm. Fina provided light, and merciful heat.

MIDAS

Deceased
Ever the braver of the two, Silas battled the rush of wind and flurries of snow with unfaltering resolve. His claws gripped delicately yet fiercely around the folded feather wings of the parrot, and in that moment it looked rather like a predator had captured his bounty to stash. The tart, purple-blue berries brought back for the mare, lay scattered through the snow, discarded and already part frozen; at least his stomach had been filled – pray, he needed every strength to clash with her most stubborn character. For now though her thoughts lay dormant.

There was movement along the back of the stallion though even the keenest violet eye could barely determine its source - another avian perhaps yet to fledge, whose ashen quills melted brilliantly into the storm and the white bed across which she shuffled. Silas was not so obscure. Bright black he shone, with glitter cascading the length of curling, ornate tail-feathers; from wing tip to wing tip, as brazen as his endeavour. Then the voice of the stallion sang out above the gale in tongue the zephyr could not understand... But moments before, as the Roc had returned again with the small helping of fruit, the plan had slipped fortunately from Africa’s weary mind to his.

The muffled chirp of the smaller zephyr pricked hidden ears, and he followed it cunningly nearer before delivering his fallen bonded onto the Gallant’s back. Like a broody hen he nestled down over her and fanned the downy feathers along his breast and belly so that warmth could be transferred and protection might be given. Quickly he made sense of the unfamiliar rhythm of the stallion’s trudging gait, though nesting amid feather and fur, there seemed little chance of a fall.

The silhouette of the cliffs only once before viewed grew ahead, and Fina swept down like a warm, firelight beacon. He clucked fondly, gratefully to her before watchful eyes switched to the icy bird beyond. Her unfamiliar song filled the space along Midas’ spine which they shared, and he cast a curious glance back to the phoenix. All thought of the unlikely sisters – fire and ice – was cast aside though as their ride began up the stairway which would lead into the well masked region. His talons tightened their hold, surprised, but released almost as quickly so as not to wound the warm pelt beneath.

And then they were gliding; slipping finally beneath stone not unlike the winding corridors which had kept them safe from the darkness months earlier. It was a blessing to be rid of the snow, and though Silas might have preferred to stay nestled against the warmth and security of the stallion, he lifted across skinny, scaly grey legs and took with him the body of the sleeping parrot, to the floor – he would not have burdened her saviour or his fair company any longer. It was a gracious gesture that she had given up her bed for their journey, and he returned it at last with a soft murmur and risen crest.

He placed Africa carefully against the cold soil before settling again to roost across her. Beneath his chest, she stirred as tender heat was lost but did not yet wake.
Image | Table by Silk