the Rift

[PRIVATE] What Can I do?

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
<style type="text/css">::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 5px; } ::-webkit-scrollbar-track { border-radius: 5px;background: transparent; } ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { border-radius: 5px;background: transparent;}</style>
This was overdue, so very overdue. It was overdue the minute that the herd meeting had ended – the minute that she had realized Res had left the meeting. Things had happened so fast but she knew what her first step needed to be. There were things for her to do, meetings to be called and jobs to be found, but all of that could – and needed to – wait until she did this. She was going to have to find Res and talk to her. Had her friend stepped down? Or was this a decision made by Kahlua and Kaj? It didn’t sit well with Aly. She loved being able to heal, loved being helpful, and she knew that Res did too.

Before the questions consumed her, Aly knew how to make them stop. All she had to do was ask!

The plan was to spend the day looking for the little mare and her fiery dragon. Hemlock had already taken shelter beneath her folded wings. The little owl was furious at Aly for having so many friends with companions that wanted to make a snack out of him. Why couldn’t they all be like that pretty bird Mikey had? No, they were all dangerous and they were all trying to eat him. It was ridiculously rude and clearly his bonded needed to stop hanging out with these mares but, for whatever reason, she kept seeking them out.

Like now. It was easy to pick the first place to start – Alysanne picked her way towards the herb garden that Res loved so much. There was little to do there in the winter but when had that stopped them from spending as much time there as they could? She might have sent Hemlock around to see if he could spot the healer but he remained firmly beneath the soft white feathers. No, she’d gladly take all the time in the world to find Res – whatever it took. She needed to make sure her friend was okay.

@[Resplendence], @[Abba]
image by ali <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

There was a deep pain which had been stabbing at her since that herd meeting. A pain of betrayal. A pain of uncertainty. She had just wanted to heal. She had just wanted to be useful.

No. They couldn't understand that. Could they? The desire to do the only thing you'd ever been good at? Hah. They definitely couldn't understand. Her leaders were good at many things. Her brother and sister were capable of moving the planet if they so desired. But she? This meek creature before them? She couldn't do anything except rattle off a bunch of herbs that were useful and hope to assist in healing those who were injured. She had no great talents. She was unable too fight. Too standoffish to dare go into a political capacity. She had no courage to spy and gain information. She even lacked the imagination to assist in this crafting thing Kahlua had so easily done. She was useless everywhere except as a healer. She could steel her nerves long enough to deal with the blood and the gore - so long as she helped.

Alas, the next person to show up at her garden, seeking her services, she would have to turn them down. Why? Because she no longer had the magical ability to heal. So, with this pain in her heart, she began to dig out the weeds from her garden. No careful movements, just angry strikes to the ground. And, the only thing that pulled her out of this haze was Valiance in the sky calling "Friend," through their bond.

However, when she saw this "friend" her eyes narrowed and she let out a small snort. "Alysanne," she muttered under her breath before returning to the garden's weeds.

Maybe if she could get rid of them... she could find a way to get rid of the seething hatred in her heart.

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

<style type="text/css">::-webkit-scrollbar { width: 5px; } ::-webkit-scrollbar-track { border-radius: 5px;background: transparent; } ::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb { border-radius: 5px;background: transparent;}</style>
An uneasy feeling in Alysanne’s stomach as Resplendence acknowledged her with nothing more than a mutter and then resumed her work. She had been wrong – there was work to do in the garden and, of course, its caretaker was hard at work as always. Not that she needed a great big welcome, Alysanne would be happy to spend a day in easy silence with her friend. But this wasn’t really that sort of silence, was it? “Hello Res.” The pegasus offered in her usual cheerful voice, wondering if that might help. She looked for the dragon but he was not around – though this did little to encourage Hemlock out of his hiding spot. That tricky reptile would come snooping around soon enough, he thought.

Attention returned to Res, this was why she was here. Sweet Res, please do not be mad at her! Alysanne would hand over her charge in a heartbeat if it was what was asked of her – if that would fix what had been broken. She loved to fix things, loved to heal and be the maker of patches. But she was getting ahead of herself. Maybe that wasn’t what was on the gardener’s mind though. Maybe there was something else? Were the nightmares still around? Uncertainty caused her to shift uncomfortably. “I can leave…” She started to offer before cutting herself off. No, she’d at least make an attempt first. Taking a deep breath she did just that. “Are you alright, dear?” The apologies that were just bursting to get through her were stopped by her caution.

She had her suspicions and her worries but silly Alysanne always hoped that there was another reason. She couldn’t even remember the last time someone had been angry with her, after all. It was not a logical assumption for her to make.

image by ali <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Valiance swung down from the sky, letting out clicking noises of distaste in the process. His claws snatched up each of the weeds which Res had yanked from the ground and carefully deposited them in a ring of stones. Then, he would fly off again and return with pieces of wood to add to the pile. When he deemed it sufficient enough he let out a puff of fire, igniting the kindling and slowly spreading to the thicker pieces of wood.

She had, for the most part, ignored the hello which had fallen from Alysanne's lips, though when she still hadn't left her eyes carefully pulled their way up toward the painted one and eyed the wings. Warmth from the fire near her garden kept her from chilling down to the bone as she whispered through the bond, "Valiance, I need you," Within a few seconds, he was curled up a top her poll in a sign of support for the pallid mare.

Finally, though, Alysanne spoke. She asked if Res was alright after cutting herself off with the option of leaving. So many things ran through her head. She didn't know if she should explain, or just sit there quietly and try and have Aly work it out herself.

Alas, the mare was too broken to figure anything out, and so she allowed the words to begin to pool from her maw. "The nightmares haven't stopped. But I'm getting used to little amount of sleep I've been receiving." she says with the anger still lingering upon her maw. "They took everything away. I thought we were family. I thought I was doing well. I thought I was finally helping. Now I can't heal anyone. I can't do anything. All I can do is sit here and weed a herb garden that seems to just go to waste. And you. You have everything. You have the only thing I've been able to do to help my family since I joined. The only thing I've ever been remotely good at," she chokes, tears coming to her eyes.

"I'm useless," she sobs, backing up a few strides, to get out of her garden to so that she didn't accidentally trample on any of the herbs. She was useless and Alysanne, Kahlua, and Kaj were everything anyone could have ever wanted.

That hatred? It turned to nothing but sadness...
Resplendence
i don't want you to leave, will you hold my hand
x - x
When I'm ready to fall
With love

The explanation came and it wasn’t entirely surprising. The anger was there, but it faded soon enough to sadness. In instinct, upon seeing a friend in pain, a step was taken but Alysanne stopped there – not wanting to upset her friend even more. She would wait for a sign that her touch would be welcomed before doing so. “I’m so sorry.” Came the whisper, still unable or unwilling to speak any louder. But what good was just an apology? If she wasn’t going to rush forward and hold Res like she was so itching to do – that mothering instinct kicking in – but she could try to talk this out. It hurt that she was partially to blame for the strife affecting Res but what hurt more was just seeing the sadness that was there.

So settling in and making sure that she wouldn’t move unless she knew it would be okay, Alysanne tried to explain – her voice soft and her eyes sad. “Please believe me, I didn’t want to be the only Moon Doctor - not without you. You have so much more knowledge than me, more experience. I’m only still learning! I didn’t ask for you to have this taken away from you. I didn’t want that.” She understood the desire to help, and she knew she had only just a taste of the connection that Resplendence had to this herd and the horses living within. “If you want we can go find Kahlua and Kaj and reason with them. No one should feel useless in their own home.” Especially not one who had worked so hard for it. “The Edge still needs your help and so do I.” Alysanne had yet to summon the mists for healing, she wasn’t even sure she would be able to do it when it was asked of her.

Her face crinkled into a deeper frown as she continued. “But the fact that the nightmares are lingering makes me so worried. Maybe you’re getting used to less sleep but I don’t believe you’ll be able to keep that up forever.” There just had to be a way to help. If they could get the nightmares under control, get Res the sleep she needed, they could get their seasoned Moon Doctor back.

“Is it still the fire?”

image by ali <3
made by the lovely tamme

Resplendence

Another apology. But she doubted that Alysanne really understood what this even really meant. As Res shuffled her way backwards, Valiance clinging to her poll, the Moon Doctor ebbed forward. Not close enough to touch her, yet, but still closer to her. Those emerald eyes. They held something in them that would have been seen as caring to anyone else, but to Res… they were demeaning. Like she wasn't capable of holding herself up. It may have been a motherly instinct, but she did not know how it churned at Resplendence's insides to know that she was so low as to be pitied.

She clenches her jaw, bracing herself for the words that were to come from Alysanne's mouth. No doubt some kind of broken excuse as to why she was still a Moon Doctor and Res no longer was. Still, it was the shift from mothering eyes to sad eyes that kept Res from snapping, from calling her a liar. She spoke of going to see Kahlua and Kaj, reasoning with them. But, if Alysanne had not asked for her to no longer hold the position then that made it even worse. Her brother and sister… they thought she was incapable. She swallows, air getting stuck in her throat for a moment as her heart skips a beat. They didn't think she could do it so they had 'relieved' her of her position.

A battered mind clawed forth, words spilling from her mouth. "If you didn't ask for me to get removed that's even worse. They obviously think I must be some kind of danger to this herd if they didn't want me to stay Moon Doctor - if they didn't even warn me about it ahead of time." She splutters, hurt seeping out from her voice as she peered toward Alysanne from behind the forelock which had swept over her forehead. "I can't see them changing their mind now. They must not want me anymore. They must really believe I'm useless. They must really think I'm incapable…" And tears, they start to fall. Tears of betrayal. It was all in her mind, really. One would doubt that such thoughts had ever run through Kaj or Kahlua's minds, but she was so hurt that this had happened that she didn't know what was truly logical. "I'm glad you think they still need my help, that you still need my help, but I don't think this would have been taken away from me if that was the case…" A pause, sniffling as she forces the tears to stop. "They obviously think the herd will be fine without my contributions."

Alysanne continued, though, onto the topic of Res's nightmares. A deeper frown slid onto her face as she spoke of the worry. She said she couldn't keep it up forever, and maybe Alysanne was right… maybe Res couldn't keep it up forever. But, she was trying to be strong. And she didn't know any other way to do that other than to just deal with it all in the waves that it came in. Alas, she asked if it was still the fire that was plaguing her dreams, and so Res tried to muster up the courage to explain.

"It's not always fire. Sometimes it's water. Sometimes it's an invasion. Sometimes it's random magic. It doesn't matter how it happens… All that matters is that I can never save them. All that matters is that I come to late, or they're too badly injured, or they die trying to save me while I attempt to help someone else. All that matters is that everyone I love is dying and that I'm alone. That I'm alone in a world that I can't protect myself in. That I'm alone in a world where I should have died a long time ago. All that matters is that they deserved to live and I couldn't let them have that chance to change the world the way they'd changed me…" Her eyes drop downcast, small tremors rippling through her body as she fought to keep talking, to keep from breaking down and running away. "..It just proves that I'm useless…"

She chokes a little, unable to get out any more words. Valiance fluffs up his wings, lets out a few clicks of encouragement and then stares straight over at Alysanne as if to say "Help her". And then, to Res, "Let. Help."

But was this even possible to fix?

urmagawd - feels ;-;

When I'm ready to fall
With love

The sadness settled in to stay, listening as Resplence made assumptions about their leaders based on their actions. “I wish they had warned you. If it had been up to me you would have.” Alysanne could only guess but she did not think Kaj and Kahlua meant to cause pain. Bad news would be best delivered one-on-one, not in front of a crowd. Even if it had not been explicitly stated, anyone that knew of the healing ranks would have noticed the absence of a certain name. Resplendence had been such a key member of this herd for so long – she and Kahlua were sisters in all but blood! This situation did not sit well with her, not in the slightest, when a simple communication could have helped just a little.

But there was nothing she could do to help that now, she supposed. “The herd would suffer if you weren’t around to contribute. Res, I’m still learning to walk and I’m on shaky legs. I really do need you. Kahlua and Kaj didn’t cast you aside, you got moved down one rank – it’s a big change but you’re not out of this. Not if you don’t want to be. You’re still a part of the healers and if you’re up for it, I’ll need you with me every step of the way until…” Until what? “Until you’re back as a Moon Doctor.” Alysanne felt stronger as a team with Resplendence, she felt like they would make a great pair of doctors together, and she’d fight to get that back.

But first, before all of that, the focus was on these nightmares.

She felt as though her own heart was breaking as she listened to Resplendence talk about the nightmares – about the things that haunted her – but she knew that whatever sympathy pain she might be feeling it would be nothing, nothing compared to what her sweet friend was going through. “Oh Res, you've the kindest, purest heart of anyone I know. How could anyone doubt your love for this herd when those are the nightmares that plague you at night?” She asked quietly, though she wondered if Kahlua and Kaj even knew. Had anyone else asked what was wrong, or been allowed to ask? She was glad for the fact that Resplendence had not run off or simply not answered the questions. Perhaps that meant that there was a part of her that was ready for Aly’s attempt to help?

The clicks and the look from Valiance are further push for her to think of something. There was no doubt, no doubt at all - Alysanne wanted to help. She wanted to show Resplendence that she was and would never truly be alone – not if this pegasus had anything to do with it! She wanted to leave no doubt, no silver of uncertainty, in her friend’s mind – so that her subconscious would not have fuel for these nightmares.

It probably wouldn’t really work like that, but Aly was always one to hope – and when it came to her friends she was happy to go through anything to help.

Two ideas come to her, the first one making her stomach churn but it was a possibility. “Mikey – Miykael – he has this magic… he can block out memories.” Her hesitance is obvious, she hated that this sort of magic existed, but even she could see the potential. “It’s effective but if something ever triggers them to come back it might be worse. It was for me.” But she mentioned it because it was not her decision to make – if it even had the slightest potential to help she had to at least bring it up, didn’t she?

She watches her friend carefully, wondering if this idea would be tempting.

image by ali <3
made by the lovely tamme

Resplendence

She wished that they had cared enough to warn her. Alysanne talks about how the herd still needed Resplendence, but she didn’t' know. It was all so confusing, and it did so little to prove to her that she was useful and necessary. "What am I going to do? Watch you heal? I cannot do much except tell them that you'll be there soon." she says, eyes shutting in desperation.

Alas, she explains the nightmares that plague her. The pain because she cannot save her family regardless of the situation. She doesn't want to be alone. She can't stand to be alone anymore. It was hurting her soul and breaking her mind. And Aly's response… it hurt even more. "Either they don't know or they don't care enough to ask what's wrong. After all, I'm only here when they're broken. I'm only here when they need something. No one comes to me just to… be there." she whispered, slinking back a little. Her head held low, no pride - no joy. It was true. She had been like an object, used and thrown to the side when she no longer held a purpose. But… at least when she was being used she had felt like she served a purpose - like she wasn't completely broken and rejected, like maybe someone actually came to her because they enjoyed her presence, wanted to be by her side, wanted her to not have to be alone.

She was cast aside like a broken toy, but she was getting used to it. She had never had a major role, not until she was Moon Doctor, and even then she wasn't completely sure that she was even seen as essential. Yet, Alysanne continued to speak. To try and offer opportunities to help her get through this, so that she felt even better to try and continue on with her life. She was offered something to get rid of the memories, to block them off into a corner. But… the only truly bad memory was of Rowan's death, and that wasn't really a part of her nightmares. No, her nightmares were all creations of her own mind - something that couldn't be blocked out because it was… it was ever changing.

A sigh escaped her maw, body shifting ever so slightly to peer up at her from behind her forelock. "There are no memories to block. It's all creations of my mind… None of the nightmares have actually happened…" She shuddered, eyes closing for a second before reopening. "I don't think it would work… and I'm not sure there are any horrific memories to really block out if it would…"

Yes. She was just the broken toy, cast to the side in a perfect toyland.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

A
L
Y
S
A
N
N
E
Though Res had shut her eyes, Alysanne was shaking her head in response to the questions of what the dun was going to do to help beyond sit there and tell them that Aly would be there soon. “There’s still the herbs!” She motioned to the garden needlessly, trying her best to make it clear what seemed so obvious to her. Res was so far from useless but how could she make the other mare see that? It was so easy from the outside; the perspective was so different when you weren’t personally involved. “You’ve lost the magic but still have the knowledge that makes you so useful, don’t you? I know some, yes, but there are plants in this garden I still have not memorized the uses of – never mind throughout Helovia.”

It was a terrible thing to hear, that Resplendence feels as though she has been used by everyone, as though they only came to her when they needed something or it was convenient. “I’m sorry.” She couldn’t apologize for the actions of everyone else but she felt guilty about her own actions. She tried to spend as much time in the herb garden as she could, but maybe she could have been more conscientious of her friend while they were both there. “I consider you a friend, Res. All healing matters aside, and I’m sorry if I haven’t shown that or acted in such a way. You’re more than just a title, than some magic, and that’s never going to change.”

Just as well that Resplendence did not have any memories to block out that would have helped with the nightmares. Alysanne was relieved that there weren’t any horrific memories that were plaguing Resplendence and causing this. The source lay somewhere else; lay in her friend’s mind. She had even said it – they were creations of her mind. “Alright, no problem. We can fight this another way.” She was also relieved because now she wouldn’t have to go find Miykael and ask him, rather hypocritically, to help. She had made her stance on his magic quite clear.

Now, how to go about her second idea? She worried that it might be too much but they would go slowly – she’d be careful just in case it came to be too much. Alysanne didn’t move closer like she is itching to do, she stayed right where she was and let her voice do the breaching of the space between them. “Will you come with me on some rounds? You’ve said that no one comes to visit you just for the sake of a visit, but when was the last time you struck up a conversation with those in the herd just because? There’s a couple new additions to the Edge, maybe it’s time we go say hello.” There’s a soft smile now as she’s trying to sell the idea, wondering if she’d go for it. Already she’s thinking of who they could go find – other kind-hearted souls, friends that are just waiting to be made. “I don’t have the power to help you to not be alone in your dreams, Resplendence, but I can help you while you’re awake.” If you’ll let me.

table by sevin | image by abba | Image Credit
made by the lovely tamme

Resplendence

The herbs. Oh yes. The lovely herbs. The herbs that no one used. She laughed. Totally random, but she laughed. She just didn't understand why Aly was so set on believing that the herbs were useful. "No one uses them Aly. I tend to them, I take care of them as if they were my own children - but I rarely see them gone." She snorted, ear flattening a little as Valiance tugged on her mane, trying to bring her back to the present to the reality. "The Edge would be the same with or without this garden."

A sigh, as she shuffles her way back toward her canopy - towards her shelter of the world. Still, Aly spoke. She apologized for everyone else. There was a quiet breath before her tears fell. Maybe she had Aly - maybe. But Aly wouldn't always be there. Hell… Quil wasn't even always there for her. She shuddered, maw pressing up against the gold heart lock as more of the tears fell. "Quil saw me as more… Quil was there but now… Now he's not. And I don't know where he is. I can't find him. And it hurts to know that the one person I knew saw me as more isn't here to see me as more. " She shakes, body racked with sobs, and all she wants is to be held under a wing and told the world will be okay again. She wants to smell his musk that is covered in pine and mist. But she knows she can't. So now all that she wants is to be held and told the world is okay by anyone.

It was Valiance who took it upon himself to try and pull Alysanne toward Res, to try and get her to be that person for the one mare he cared so much for. He tried to yank her forward by clinging to the mare's mane and trying to get her into the canopy section of the garden. Still, Alysanne said they would find another way to fight this by offering to take her with on rounds. "I'll go, but I doubt they'd actually want to see me." she whispered between sobs, eyes closed as she listened to the last phrase Alysanne says. "Thank you.."

When I'm ready to fall
With love

A
L
Y
S
A
N
N
E
“Well I think they’re still useful. I don’t trust magic to fix everything.” She was feeling rather stubborn about that point and wouldn’t budge. Though she supposed it wasn’t exactly right to complain about not needing herbs – their herd was what, too healthy? “It would be the same until the day we needed it. Needed the unique herbs that are hard to find. You’ve got a treasure growing here, I’d rather we have them and not need them, not have any injuries or illnesses to speak of, than need them and not have any easily accessible. Right?”

Res went on to explain that Quil was missing, a fact that Aly was sad to have overlooked. Now that she thought about it though, it had been some time since she had seen him. “I’m sorry to hear that, I hope he comes home soon.”

She had been trying to give Resplendence space, trying not to force the physical comforting she itched to use upon her friend now that the sobs had returned, but then Valiance is there, tugging at her mane and getting her to move forward. It was ridiculous for her to stand by and not offer some sort of comfort but she was beaten to the punch. Hemlock unburied himself at this point and, given the mood of the situation, decided against angrily storming the dragon that dared to tug on the mane of his bonded. Instead, he hooted a warning before darting out from beneath Aly’s wings and shooting right towards Resplendence where he promptly aimed (provided no interference from the dragon) to plop himself down beside the single ear upon her head. He nudged that one ear gently with his beak before settling in amongst her mane – letting out a softer hoot - and was quite content to stay there.

With a smile, Aly followed her companion – though she was still so hesitant about her approach, ready to stop if Resplendence’s wishes contradicted the ones her companion had suggested – and reached out to wrap her neck gently in the hug-like manner she was prone to do. She would have eagerly spoken the words ‘it’s going to be alright’ if she had known that they were needed but alas, she had no idea. But she did speak, confirming once more in a gentle but firm voice. “You’re not alone.” And then she pulled back, her smile kind, before briefly touching her muzzle to Res’ cheek.

It had been a favourite motion of hers, a quick kiss, once upon a time – though she had quite fallen out of the habit lately.

Now she actually moved away, giving room for Resplendence to come out of the canopy where she had been and into the sunshine. “I bet you'll be surprised just how many will want to see you. Come on, sweetie.” She waited until her friend was at her side before picking up an easy pace – eyes alert for whoever they might meet.

to be continued

table by sevin | image by abba | Image Credit
made by the lovely tamme