the Rift

All this could be yours - [open]

Kipling Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Why had he left in the winter? It was cold. It was dark. The going was treacherous on even the best days, and progress was either painstakingly slow or altogether impossible. This little adventure of Kipling's was not off to the most promising start. He was hungry and tired, and he was starting to doubt whether this had been such a great idea after all.

It was also very cold.

It was the first few winks of sunrise, although Kipling had been traveling for several hours already after a fitful sleep that had only made him more tired. The frigid night drew him forward through a tunnel of trees, dragging him along impatiently towards his unknown destination. He craned his neck uncomfortably to watch the ground underhoof, but despite his best efforts, he slipped and stumbled through the icy layers of petrified leaves and roots. Although he could sense his surroundings lightening up as day broke, the woods' eerie silence felt out of place. Nothing seemed to want to greet this day: No birds singing, no wood mice rustling, no insects buzzing to life.

The trees started to thin around Kipling as he approached a little clearing. He paused just inside the entrance, closing his eyes to relish the feeling of unfiltered sunlight blanketing his back. He had been picking his way through unbroken dense woods for several days, and the stronger light here was almost intoxicating. With his eyes closed, he could picture himself grazing one of the lush valleys he had frequented in warmer months, chasing butterflies and drinking from sun-warmed streams. He exhaled wistfully and squeezed his eyes shut tighter, clinging to the fading illusion of Tallsun.

When he could not pretend any longer, Kipling opened his eyes and returned to the disappointment of reality. He was alone: a gawky, unsure adolescent colt. His chestnut winter coat was streaked with dark, wet lines where ice and snow had melted onto him, oddly mirroring the white brindling that painted his barrel. Each breath escaped in a cloud of vapor from his nostrils, and the wind had lashed long tears from the inner corners of his eyes. Burrs and twigs matted his mane and tail, but he did not have the energy to pick out the tangles with his horn as his dam had taught him. He sighed and moved half-heartedly to the center of the clearing, where he began to graze on the choicest grass that had benefited from the stronger sun's rays.

Surely I'll find them soon... Right?

OOC: Open to anyone - I'm still getting a feel for him & what I want him to do.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

Muscles heaved and pitched beneath a hide of deep mahogany framed in fine, silken ebony threads. A map of her life weaved itself along the outer contours of the mare’s face as she drifted and swayed over the swells of winter’s course landscape into Helovia’s Threshold. It hadn’t been long since she too had stood lonesome at their borders waiting for salvation… and yet here she was again, sloping through the dark trees and their many secrets in hopes of redeeming another lost soul such as herself. With Romul trailing not far behind, the mare surged onwards beneath the warming rays of a cold FrostFall sun. The season seemed to be wearing on into a vast eternity that Essetia prayed would end soon. She longed for the melting of the snow and the greening of the foliage and vivid colors of the wildflowers growing rampant in spring. “Me too, Ess."

Romul’s soft words drifted longingly across their bond and caused the mare to slow down long enough to glance back at the wolf. His tongued lolled from between him lips like a young pup as he panted and wheezed a few steps behind. He wouldn’t admit to his growing fatigue for fear of disappointing the mare as she so often enjoyed the freedom of racing across the plains. However, with a knowing smile curving her thin lips upward, Essetia settled into a comfortable walk that would better suit the canine after miles of trudging through the soft, snowy soil.

As the dense forest sprawled wide before them, the pair moved slowly into the thick shadows that hung from the treetops and toward the Threshold’s heart. They wandered with no particular destination in mind but with Romul scouting out fresh scents as they went, the two were brought quickly to an open clearing toward the eastern borders. The sun’s light had managed to reach the forest floor before them but that was not the only thing Essetia and Romul found interesting. Just inside the glade a Unicorn colt stood grazing on the dead grasses that had been uncovered by the warmth of the sun.

Slowly, the mare hummed to him to announce her entrance and with Romul clinging protectively to her side, she emerged from the tree line. “Hello and welcome to Helovia… I don’t suppose you’re looking for shelter, hm?” A soft, slow smile turned her lips upward once more and she nodded toward Romul with a dip of her face before adding, “I’m Essetia and this is Romul.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

The winter did not much bother the pale princess of the north. Thick, alabaster fur coated her body, rich in warmth but not in color. She strode easily through the slush, cleft hooves gripping to the mud beneath as she curled around trees far older than herself. Ophelia's strange, two-toned eyes swept the horizon for newcomers, having to relieve herself from the stress of her new and dramatic rise to leadership. While still doing the footwork of her herd, she had left its resident's in the serene mountain fortress.

A pretty, dark mare with a badger face and a unicorn stood in the snow, the mare revealing to the young stallion the land he had wandered into. Helovia. The name echoed in her mind with such confusion, but this was home - more of a home than Isilme was anyway. Though she had been birthed on the sands of the Tides, the wintry north was her home now.

Tinek continued to jump from branch to branch overhead, smelling the two warmblooded bodies from a safe distance. He did not want to be scary, but he knew that he was to most. Dragons had often warred with the horse kind in other lands, but here, they were friend to the hornless - well, except his bondmate. Her blood was different. Ophelia strode into the group, brows furrowing as she realized the boy was upset. Matted fur on his proud cheeks indicated tears, and she shifted closer.

"Greetings, dear," she said, smiling at this hornless stranger as well. "My name is Ophelia, Lady of the Aurora Basin, and my friend is Tinek." Ophelia looked up to the trees where the silver beast sat, waiting patiently. "I am also able to offer you a home, safely nestled within the mountains. You are welcome here."

Art by: equusamor @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Unregistered

The ruddy colt looked up from his plaintive grazing as the sound of another’s voice reached him. He lifted his head mid-chew and froze, only moving to pitch his large ears forward towards the voice with curiosity. Helovia… he had found it after all! Kipling grinned excitedly and snapped fully upright, his long horn swinging out in front of him in a reckless arc. “Yes!” He exclaimed, a little more loudly than was probably necessary. Before he could put his excitement to words, however, his gaze locked onto the canine creature introduced as Romul. He tilted his head thoughtfully and took a tentative half step forward, lowering his neck and exhaling loudly in the companion’s general direction. “Oh! You’re different!”

There was more that he wanted to comment on, but the group’s number grew again. In moments, Kipling went from alone to accompanied by as many other souls as he had ever seen together in one place. The newest arrival was niftily camouflaged with the winter landscape; only the red tones in her mane and one eye offered any contrast as she joined the gathering. Only in seeing the two mares alongside each other did he notice that one lacked the facial ornamentation he was accustomed to.

It was all quite a lot to take in, but Kipling had never really been the type to silently wait while his mental gears began to turn. His eyes leapt between Essetia and Romul and Ophelia and Tinek.
“Helovia is strange,” He mused aloud, clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth. “Shelter and safety, yes… And food. Oh, and adventure!” He swung his head in a quirky display of bravado, puffing out his chest proudly.

"I am Kipling. My parents sent me here and I was bored of them so I came, but now it's cold and I thought I'd never find this place and I'm so happy to meet all of you now." He was blissfully unaware of his over-sharing habit. Surely everyone was as interested in himself as he was? "Are you all from the same place? You look sort of different, but they said Helovia was different, but I've never seen or heard of anything like those two..." He gestured curiously at Romul and Tinek in turn before finally drawing his meandering monologue to a close.

OOC: @[Ophelia]

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily
Amani
Just A Picture To Burn
((edited as kipling posted when I was posting))

Why I had left the semi warmth of the Throat is beyond me. It was stupid, even this close to the end of FrostFall. I hate the cold! My frame shivers as if to protest the icy winter wonderland around me. My wings are firmly tucked to my sides as a desperate try to keep warm. A try that however was failing as much as I would like it to work. What was even more stupid of me, was that I had gone north of my home... Yes, farther north instead of seeking the warmth of the south. I snort, a puff of my warm breath quickly turning to a fine mist in front of me.

I arrive as the words of two others reach my ears. The first introduces herself as Essetia along with her bonded Romul. She is hornless and wingless, but smells much like the woods and hills of my old home in the Falls. I am at ease around her, but not so much the icy princess with crimson tips. She calls herself the Lady of the Basin... So had there been a shift in leadership? Perhaps this is something I will alert the high ranks of the Throat too... I am not sure of the relationship between the two herd... She too seemed bonded as she also introduced a silver dragon she called Tinek. The pale Lady wasted no time in offering a home. Which if I remember correctly from what my mother spoke of Helovia it lay farther north than here... He speaks, and I listen intently. "I am Kipling. My parents sent me here and I was bored of them so I came, but now it's cold and I thought I'd never find this place and I'm so happy to meet all of you now." Happy is always a good sign. "Are you all from the same place? You look sort of different, but they said Helovia was different, but I've never seen or heard of anything like those two..."

I smile warmly before speaking, announcing my presence to all gathered. "Safe it may be, but much colder than we are here, no? As you have also said, we each are indeed very different." My voice is soft, almost like a melody. "I am Amani, disciple of Dragon's Throat. We each belong to one of four herd who call Helovia home." I pause to nod respectfully to each who had gathered. It seemed the only herd not represented would be World's Edge.... "In the north there is the Aurora Basin. Slightly south of the Basin is Hidden Falls and World's Edge. Then in the very south is my home in Dragon's Throat." Thank you Father Sun for my Momma teaching me about the lands I now call home. I quickly moved on. "I too, can offer you a safe haven among those who call the Throat home. Not to mention a much warmer one." I don't know about him, but the warmth factor sure was appealing to me right now. The sooner I find out where this new knight is going, the sooner I can return home where it is not so cold..... If I don't freeze to death first...

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

x - x

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

The colt marvels for a moment at the mare before turning curious, wide eyes to Romul and blustering over the wolf in turn. Essetia smiles at this and murmurs to the wolf, a reminder to be on his best behavior which he acknowledges with a sullen sigh. “Well then I’ve the perfect place for you, an adventurous place full of warmth and light and food of course.” The gentle mare smiles down at both Romul and the colt before her attention is drawn away from the two by a colorless stranger with multicolored eyes. Essetia is uncertain how to receive the unfamiliar maiden but attempts a soft smile that brightens her dark expression and accentuates her pale eyes.

However, when the newcomer announces that she is the Lady of the Aurora Basin, both Romul and Essetia stiffen for fear of a multitude of things. First and foremost, the mare and her wolf must now decide how to gingerly sidestep around the issue of recruitment without offending a Lady. Secondly, they must consider the wishes of the small colt who eagerly confesses his name to be Kipling.

No, Ophelia and I are from two different places. I reside in the Hidden Falls just north of here and she, just north of the Falls. There are certainly a variety of creatures here in Helovia but I think you’ll find them to be just as magical as Tinek or Romul.” Essetia had taken to referring to the Basin’s Lady as friend, if only to appease the young colt who still dreamt of the splendor and grace life possessed. When she mentioned either Opehlia or Tinek, her eyes would find them in kind… but she was still uncertain how such a powerful force of authority intended to settle such a curious, young animal.

But nothing was outside of normalcy here in Helovia, so the mare and her wolf could only greet the Lady and her Dragon with kindness.

Romul, still uneasy with the unfamiliar faces crowding around him, came to rest hesitantly between his bonded’s knees. However, he ripped himself from beneath her when another female approached at their rear. His soft grumble was apparent enough to alert the stranger to his presence lest she forget to steer clear of him and his companion. But Essetia is quick to remind him of his place and he stalks toward her undercarriage once more to throw himself down at her hooves… ”Behave.” she scolded.

This was going to be a long day.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia chuckled in amusement when he commented that Helovia was strange, the tones musical and light. She had to agree. Helovia was strange. The little colt also wanted adventure, puffing out his chest in an impressive display of bravery. Phi nodded once firmly, giving credit to his dramatic actions. She did not try to step on Essetia's speech when she spoke about her land, and the boy's next words were concerning. Tired of his parents?

She furrowed her brows. The hornless mare seemed to ignore his words, so she did too. Hopefully, no matter where he chose to live, someone would consider those words and make sure that he and his parents were still close. When the other called her a friend, Ophelia nodded to her, smiling genuinely. If she was from the Falls, then she lived where Phi had once ruled. Granted, the land was called something different back then.

"My friend here is right," she agreed. "I have seen creatures that shape shift, a turtle who talks, and there are even gods who walk among us - every now and then. Even though I live in the Aurora Basin now, I have ruled in other places and had to flee my birth-land as it was overrun by shadow monsters."

A pegasus approached then, and Ophelia had every intention of being warm - that was until she shattered the tentative kindness and peace with her pushy words. The Forsaken's ears tilted back ever so slightly, and she glanced at Essetia, wondering if she took offense as well. "The road to my home is long and cold, but the mountains are safe and the caves are warm. Though, I am sure either of these fine friends would be honored to take you with them too."

"You do not have to decide now, if you do not want to, Kipling. And you are always welcome to visit - just to make sure you know what you want."

Art by: equusamor @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Unregistered

Wow! Another one had come! The attention quickly went to Kipling’s head: look at all of them, here to see me - this is great! His irritation and sleepyness yielded to self-pleased contentment as he listened to their talk, the kid watching the grown-ups converse at the dinner table, oblivious to what they said but happy enough to be included in the discussion. It wasn’t really that they seemed that much older than him – they didn’t really – but they all knew so much more about this place and its secrets. The mental stimulation of meeting so many wiser others and their companions after weeks of solitary travel chiseled his excitement into awe, and he watched the verbal exchange in reverential silence.

The third arrival was not accompanied by some unknown animal, but her silhouette was unlike anything Kipling had ever seen. Her sides were covered with extra bulk which he could have sworn were downy wings. She introduced herself as Amani and helpfully explained the four herdlands, but Kipling could only gawk in puzzlement at the wing-like protrusions as she spoke of a Father Sun and warmer lands.

Essetia and Ophelia completed the task of bringing him up to speed on Helovia’s many oddities. Kipling’s eyes widened as they spoke of magical creatures, shapeshifters, shadow monsters, and gods.
“Wow…” He murmured to no one in particular, cocking his head curiously. No wonder his parents had urged him to find this place. But why had they ever left...?

It was not until the Lady Ophelia mentioned “deciding” something that Kipling realized this was not just story time: they were all offering him home. This world full of magic and wonder and adventure… And they were inviting him to join it. His eyes widened as he looked back and forth between the five assembled: the dark one who spoke of adventure and warmth and light, her stark snowy white companion sitting between her forelegs, the flighted reptilian animal perched among the branches, Ophelia with her vaguely maternal kindness, and the winged (those are wings, aren’t they?) disciple.
“Wow,” He repeated again.

“I... I want to see everything!" He finally blathered. How unfair that he could not be in multiple places at once! He frowned thoughtfully. How was he ever supposed to make a decision about all of this? But in his consternation, his internal voice took root and began to gently nudge him towards Essetia and Romul - he was physically turning himself towards the pair before he consciously understood what he was doing.

"This all sounds very amazing," He spoke truthfully. A more socially adept creature might thank them for their hospitality and generous offers here, but Kipling simply carried on unhindered. "But I think... I think I should chase adventure with Essetia and Romul in the Hidden Falls." He had never had to decline anyone before, and it felt unpleasantly similar to someone wringing out his very heart. He shook his head anxiously at the feeling, as if trying to toss it from his mind through physical force. Failing, he continued apologetically towards Ophelia and Amani, "I'd love to visit, if I can - I hope to see all of this world some day!" He scowled at the bittersweet stinging feeling one final time before stepping hesitantly towards Essetia and Romul, his gaze flighty and pleading: so, we go now?

OOC: You guys are welcome to reply or we can just wrap it up here, whatever you want to do. =)
@[Ophelia] @[Amani]

Amani Posts: 99
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: Three Years HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Emily
Amani
Just A Picture To Burn

He stared at me as I spoke, most likely staring at my wings. I shift them a little bit just to add to his staring. He then seems to realize why we are all here. We each seek to bring him home. The knight spoke again, this time he accepted the place within the Hidden Falls. I nod, after all we are on friendly terms with the Falls. I give him a friendly smile before adding my own words. "Adventure can be found anywhere. You are of course welcome to visit the Throat at any time." I then turn to the mare with her wolf and speak softly. "A pale pegasus by the name Elsa lives in the Falls still I believe? If so, please tell her I said hello and that I am alright. I will come visit soon." My thoughts had been on Elsa a lot lately, and I wasn't sure why. She was the first to welcome me to Helovia when I was so lost and alone.

With that I simply nod to all before turning to continue walking along in the Threshold. After all there are many more who will pour through the lands. There always is fresh blood in this place. Sometimes they will join you, other times you walk away alone. For me, this time I walk away on my own. At least I am not the only one, and he is not going to the north among those of the Basin.

My mind flashes to the words my mother spoke of the Basin... They are evil, cold hearted, and hateful. Your Uncle Aaron fought them when the Qian sought a home. I was only a babe, your Uncle returned from battle to watch your Grandmother give birth to me. They stole her and several others from our herd over the years, but the ultimate thing I have against them.... One of thier medics murdered your grandmother... I glance back over my shoulder to look at the Lady of the Basin, wondering how she slept at night if members of her herd were killing the innocent... Did she even know?

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

x - x

Please Tag Amani in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Amani at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.