the Rift

[PRIVATE] your words in my head, knives to my heart

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
@[Adelric]

It's times like these that I wonder if it's all worth it in the end.

My legs had dragged me here. I could here the crook in the distance, but I didn't bother to look for it. The sky was grey with clouds and a cold wind flew through the air. Some snow had melted, making everything muddy and wet. My legs were thoroughly caked with brown mud. Yet still, even with layer after layer of mud, the pointy burrs managed to stick to my legs and the tip of my tail. I halted abruptly. My orbs glanced around. I seemed alone for the most part, yet my check of the surroundings hadn't been so thorough. I'd only come to think, so wasn't sure how I would feel about having company. Would anyone even approach me? I am mere mare, both unloved and unwanted.

I breath deeply, my already protruding ribs protrude further as my flanks swell from the inhale. I let my wings dangle at my sides, they have also succumbed to the horror of the mud. My muzzle sunk to the ground, where sniffed. The grass had been covered over and I realized just how hungry I was. I dug at the ground with a hard forehoof. To my luck, there were a few mud-covered blades that I managed to chew and swallow. This would only cease the rumbling of my empty stomach for a few minutes. I let out a defeated half laugh-half sigh. This would fill my empty stomach, but not my empty heart and would certainly not reassure myself that I wasn't just piece of paper in the garbage. I was clearly not lost, physically, but mentally I wandered a maze that would never end. Each twist ad turn led me to a new danger, one that I could overcome, but I could never overcome the maze. In some weird way, I was the prisoner and the guard.

I began walking, the sound of the creek lulling me closer. Water, it was the one thing I used to fear. Yet now, I thought of it as one of the ways out of my maze. It was sad I thought of death as the only way out. Because it wasn't. Death was never the way out but at the time, it seemed so perfect. The only thing that kept me from plunging my head underwater and drowning was Destry. I sought to find her, rekindle, love her to the ends of the world. Did she feel the same?

"blah blah blah."

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Adelric Posts: 101
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3hh :: 1.5 [Birdsong]
Tobias :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Sevin
It is Tobias that sees her first, walking there in the meadow beside the creek, looking as lost and forlorn as anyone the cervid had ever seen. He bleats softly, alerting Adelric of her presence, for he remembers the curiosity she had been and the chaos she had caused that day on the island. That same island was the one the half-child came from now, saying goodbye to his mother and returning to a life in the snowy Basin. He does not love the place, but it makes the most sense for him to live there, so he does. Perhaps for now he can delay his return slightly… in the name of science.

Turning himself towards the ivory mare, touching Tobias’ shoulder in thanks, the half-child approachs the woman whose name he cannot remember if he has forgotten or never known. It doesn’t matter, of course; he is not here for pleasantries. “Hey,” he calls out, trying to get her attention. Sloshing through the mud, still-gangly limbs dragging him forwards as he tries to draw nearer to her, he whickers. Tobias follows obediently, gentle eyes surveying the scene. He moved purposefully, stoically even, the steady half of Adelric’s ever-thinking mind.

“Burn something.?” he almost queries then, although there is a finality to the sentence that suggested it is a demand rather than a question. He wants to remember the way the flames dance, watch the way they devour life and spew death. He finds them fascinating- a memory of something confusing that he wishes to study further. He has not seen flames since that day. He looks forward to stimulating his brain… after all, she won’t refuse him, will she?
Adelric
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Adelric at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Adelric unless it is in an opening post

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

It's times like these that I wonder if it's all worth it in the end.

There is a soft bleat that makes me spin around, a familiar face approaches, but this is not the specific face I wanted to see. I turn back away and begin walking in the opposite direction of him. He calls out to me, but I don't answer. A suicidal mare with fire magic, around a foal and his deer? What could go wrong? There are large amounts of mood, but I don't falter, my grace clear now. The mud is no obstacle. I used to live in a muddy-ish place. I'm quite used to this.

Suddenly, the foal's voice rings in my mind again. He is demanding the use of my magic. The demand, it triggers something dark in my mind. I am not a slave anymore, that was pre-Helovia. I turn towards him, my ears flat as I snarled at him. "What's so good about fire anyways? No one's ever liked my fire. Why do you want to see it? I am not your toy." My voice is stern and even. This boy would not order me around. Not now... I didn't need a little child bothering me, not when I was very close to snapping, becoming completely insane, and sad. Does this child really want to drive me to suicide?

Fire was horrible. I want to rid my body of this magic, free my soul from it's burden. If he wanted to see fire, he should find the demonic Gaucho. That horse seems to have picked up a few fiery abilities up recently, the boy should seek him, not me. My flames are mot likely sub-par compared to his.

I realized I was a bitch. I quickly shook my head around, my ears perking up. I would make an offer. "How about this? If you sing me a song about fire that is to my liking, I will show you my flames?" This was an offer that would be on the table for a short amount of time. If the child truly wanted to see my magic, he'd start singing now. I hoped t'd be something cheerful, then perhaps it would perk me up? Because all I really wanted to do now was sink to the ground and sleep for a few years.... I go jump off some high cliff without opening my wings. These thoughts, they were sad. I tried to block them out of my head, wondering when the foal would begin his song.

"blah blah blah."

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Adelric Posts: 101
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 16.3hh :: 1.5 [Birdsong]
Tobias :: Common Cerndyr :: Lamplight Sevin
The half child watches her keep walking, ignoring him, and he sighs in childish frustration that today will not be the day he gets to investigate her fire. That is, he thinks that until she stops all the sudden. His curious brow furrows at her sudden change of heart- anger. He has seen this rage in her before, the rage she showed to the others upon the island. He had not been the subject of her ire then, but he is now, and his head lowers in a sort of cower. He dares not frustrate her to the point of explosion. He values his own hide far too much to allow himself to be the subject of some scorching experiment. But she has asked a question that demands to be answered, and so he takes a moment to ponder it with proper scientific curiosity. Why does he want to see her fire? Oh, so many reasons. How to explain them succinctly…

He doesn’t get a chance to voice what he has finally decided on before she is speaking again, though, challenging him almost. A song? Has he ever known a song in his entire lifetime? Perhaps a few, when he was young, that Kiara used to sing to him and Zunden, but he’s certain he remembers none of them. And for that matter, even if he didn’t remember them, he’s even more certain that none of them were about fire. So he shuffles his feet beneath himself as he tries to ponder this challenge he has been given. If he is to see her magic, then he must sing, but that means he must create a song.

With scientific precision, he ponders what a song is. It is music, it is notes, it is a melody combined into one. It is words that sometimes rhyme, words that tell a story, that create some emotional response within the listener. Emotions… that is where he will struggle, he is certain, but his desire for education is greater than the distaste he gets in his mouth at the idea that he must come up with a song. So sing he does, but first he explains. His words are succinct, of course, as befitting a scientist. “Your fire destroys. I want to study the way things die.” A morbid curiosity? Perhaps, but a noble and educational ideal as well. After all, those who study and understand death, can understand how to prevent it.

Then he sings, his boyish voice clear but hesitant. He speaks few words on the best of days; a song requires so many more than he is used to.
“Dark night, red light,
angry voices, wings in flight.
White mare, gold hair,
cruel ashes, dull embers.

Clashing feet, gnashing teeth,
ancient warrior, made to bleed.
Loud yelp, no help,
missing father, lonely… lonely… lonely boy.”
At his last stanza his voice cuts off, his final word all but a whisper- lonely, lonely, lonely. He had not meant to say it three times, had not meant to choke out the word boy. He had not meant to use that word at all, truth be told. The song was not a happy one, nor a particularly insightful one, but the pain in the child’s voice was evident.

He had yet to acknowledge that he was upset about his father’s death. Was this to be the first time? He looks to the ground, avoiding the pale mare’s gaze. He does not want her to see him like this. He has not meant to bare his soul this way. From behind him, Tobias says nothing. He thinks it is good the half-child feels these emotions. Let them come.
Adelric
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Adelric at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Adelric unless it is in an opening post