the Rift

[OPEN] New Tides [Welcoming]

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

Nothing would ever quite compare to the innocence of a child. Essetia knew and often acknowledged this in the wake of her own fleeting youth... However, pain and abandonment had robbed her of that innocence and she sought, now more than ever, to ensure that Kipling’s wild imagination was nurtured and fulfilled unlike her own fettered dreams. His excitement was intoxicating and his words made her heart beat fast as if she too believed that whatever lay beyond the forest was actually a land of wonder and illusion. Even if the truth disappointed her, Essetia knew that the Hidden Falls would not thwart Kipling’s idea of the existence of magic and fairytales in Helovia. This was all new to him after all… he would learn with age.

With a primitive smile turning her lips forever upward, Essetia looked around to each of the other mares in turn. Ophelia was a kind soul and wise beyond her assumptive years. Amani was an eager, bright disciple of the Throat with the ability to weave words into an endless melody… but Essetia, she was once a filly just like Kipling. She had dreamt of a world so wonderful and vivid that she often lived in the vastness of her imagination for hours on end. There was something pure about the two of them that convinced her of their eminent relationship. That’s not to say she sought love or the like, but his happiness was something she’d once possessed… it was something she wanted to regain.

The colt, though distracted by fantastical ideas of Helovia, had begun to wander closer to Essetia and her curious wolf. Romul, though contained forcibly at her hooves, noticed the colt’s approach and whined preemptively at the child before rising to stand. Before his companion had a chance to notice or retain him, the canine ambled forth from beneath her to halt the small stud on his path towards Essetia.

The wolf gazed up at the Unicorn with wide, golden eyes that suggested whimsical fascination. Never before had he taken so quickly to another that chills of awe-inspired anxiety clawed their way up his companion’s spine. “Romul,” she hissed through their bond. However, the canine provided no answer and instead moved to accompany the colt at his shoulder. In an attempt to calm both Kipling and herself, Essetia directed her attention to the colt before nearly whispering, “You shall see everything,

However, before the mare could unleash the wrath of hell down upon her wolf, the colt startled her with his own decision to follow her home to the Falls. A blazing smile curved her worried expression upwards once more and she nodded slowly before adding, “The Falls won’t disappoint you,” With a little more patience for their fellow inhabitants, Essetia allowed Kipling to wish them farewell before welcoming him to her side as Romul had already sought to encourage. “If you follow me, we should arrive in the Falls in no time. It’s not far from here actually and I know you’re going to fit right in,” she assured with soft, friendly tones.

With that, Essetia nodded to Ophelia and Amani in parting and then turned away to lead Kipling to his new life.

The journey would be brief if anything but Essetia wanted nothing more than for the colt to feel welcome in her company. So when they emerged from the wood that revealed a worn, narrow path that eventually led to the borders of their home, she allowed Romul to resume his position at the colt’s shoulder. She was hesitant to question why he had taken such a liking to the youth, but as all things often were, it would be answered in time, “So tell me more about your parents,

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Kipling]

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Kipling Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The colt accompanied the fascinating pair of mare and wolf with a sort of fragile cheerfulness. Kipling remained unsettled by how it had felt to say “no” to Amani and Ophelia, but the feeling faded as he came to terms with his choice. He resolved to visit them and their homes when the weather improved, both to expand his miniscule knowledge of Helovia and to learn what exactly he had turned down today in the Threshold.

Despite his brave words, the reality of an epic journey through the waning winter morning in his present condition would not be as enjoyable as he imagined. He breathed a sigh of conflicted relief as Essetia told him the trek would not be a long one, and he quickly flickered his ears back and forth in a gesture of restless gratitude.

As they set off, Kipling was caught unawares by the question about his parents. He paused and tilted his head thoughtfully before responding with a noncommital, infuriatingly unhelpful,
“Meh.” What was there to say? As he thought about them, he realized that he really didn’t know them at all. Oh, of course he could recognize them from miles away - he knew their gaits, the sounds of their voices, the distinct angles of their unique conformations, the way the light hit their coats – but he couldn’t fathom anything meaningful to say about either of them. In three years of life lived exclusively with each other, they had shared shockingly little intimacy. It was as though nothing of any significance had happened in Kipling’s life until the day the couple nudged him in the direction of Helovia. He had never learned how they had met, or why they had withdrawn from society, or whether he had any other siblings or half-siblings, or what they cared about most in the world. To be entirely honest, it had never occurred to him to ask.

Kipling’s gaze had grown distant and glassy as his thoughts about his parents uncoiled in his mind, but he returned abruptly to the present with a little jolt.
“I like him,” He nodded towards Romul, oblivious as to whether the feeling was requited or not but following him intently with curious wide eyes anyways. “Where did you meet?”

Around them, the landscape had started to change, although Kipling had not taken much notice. He was following Essetia and Romul quite blindly, for better or for worse. But at the sound of running water, he finally lifted his head and swiveled his ears forward alertly, shooting a questioning glance at his guide with an unspoken request for explanation.

A quiet resolve flooded over the mare as she ambled along the path toward the Hidden Falls. Kipling was distant, but for once Essetia could understand his qualms… After all, he was alone in the world much like she had been for the past few years. Without Romul to soothe the unease that often plagued her heart during the long, cold nights in the Wilds, the mare feared what would have become of her and her sanity.

After the colt’s vague response or rather lack thereof, Essetia nodded absently, more to herself than Kipling, before nurturing the ensuing silence. She had much to debate, celebrate, and mourn… Even if Kipling didn’t feel the need to share much about his past, the mare felt little need to press him for answers. It was clearly something that he needed to sift through on his own.

Romul

I had bent to her will, followed her orders, and given her my devout attention… all in the name of love. I loved the girl foolishly and with wild abandon. She was my master of the elements, my hanger of the moon. However, upon meeting the hapless colt in the Threshold, I found something else in the world to ponder. He reminded me too much of Essetia when she was just a wee one; he reminded me of a carefree time spend exploring the Edge and hiding from prying eyes. We were such a force back then, so wild and young. I missed my love of life and my reckless tendency to act without thinking. The colt, Kipling, had given me something I’d been missing for quite some time. I was the mare’s companion for life, but I possessed free will just as much as she. I possessed the ability to agree or disagree and I possessed emotions just as strong as hers.

Many forgot to acknowledge that, including Essetia.

I had taken my place at Kipling’s side shortly after leaving the claiming grounds and had no trouble dodging Ess’s attempts to reign me in. However, I was more than shocked when his curious eyes found mine with a sense of true delight brightening his expression. I had a hard time trying to translate his words into an emotion I knew because the only thing I could truly come up with was satisfaction.

Essetia

The colt’s mention of Romul brough the mare to her senses, though her thoughts were still hazy from being ripped away from the past so violently. “We met in the World’s Edge,” she whispered with a growing smile. “His mother brought him to me… just a little orb. I didn’t know what to expect but he has proved to be the best thing to come into my life since then,” she trailed off blissfully. The wolf whimpered softly astride Kipling, a show of appreciation despite the fact that he did not leave the colt amid their ascent into the Falls.

The waterfall that had been frozen in the winter had begun to thaw once more into a steady stream. It was cold and exciting all the same as Essetia hurried beneath the spray. “I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that!” she yelled from within the cave that guided straight into the land itself. As she waited for the colt and her companion, she felt an overwhelming sense of comfort in knowing that this was now her home just as it was now Kipling’s…

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Kipling]

Unregistered

Kipling had disliked his sheltered life of solitude – that’s why he so eagerly rushed off to ingrain himself into herd life at the slightest suggestion – but it certainly had its benefits. No one can hurt you if you never interact with anyone. No one can steal your youthful wonder and corrupt it into staid cynicism. The flipside, of course, was that there was no one to participate in your delight with you, which was terribly boring. What significance does anyone have in life beyond their connections to others? When the earthly body expires and bones crumble to dust, what matters besides whether the thought of you persists somehow through memory and history?

While Kipling did not consider these thoughts on such a grand scale, he did understand that Essetia and Romul were incredibly fortunate to have each other. It was easy to see that their lives were intimately intertwined, that they would always matter to each other, that one’s absence would always be noticed and felt by the other. He had expected to feel some twinge of jealousy, but he was taken back by his genuine reaction of happiness for the pair. As Essetia explained their meeting and Romul padded along at his side, Kipling wondered vaguely if his parents missed him.
“Wow… were we all—”

He couldn’t quite finish the question, however, as a waterfall had appeared in front of them quite without notice (well, Kipling hadn’t noticed it, at least). Kipling watched with nothing short of awe as Essetia disappeared behind the cascade. Why had no one ever told him there were places behind the falls to see? Where exactly had the badger-faced mare gone? He heard the echo of her voice through the water, and he responded by cautiously reaching out a front hoof to poke at it. He snorted and jumped back as it predictably splashed up at him and sprayed his front half, then shook his head and tried to gracefully regain his composure. With a final glance at Romul for confidence and a thought - I hope he doesn’t tell her how dumb I just looked - he took a deep breath and flung himself through the sheet of water, landing on the other side with a loud clatter of hooves seeking purchase in the wet cave. Using his long horn to balance himself, he managed to get his legs beneath him and stood still, looking around in delirious excitement.

“Wow,” He whispered again, this time under his breath, as his eyes began to adjust to the odd light that filtered through the waterfall. Water condensed and dripped from the long hairs that grew around his muzzle and eyes. He stared back at Essetia again, and a boyish grin settled over his face. He tried to shout over the water, “How did you ever find this place? This is amazing! Look at all this!”

Pale eyes flecked with brown gazed back toward the growing spray. The mare waited patiently for her recruit to follow suit despite the fact that his words had jumped between them, unacknowledged, just moments before. Essetia sought a kindred spirit in the young colt but understood that the memories that he kept hidden were for his own reflection… not hers. Romul whined and yipped from beyond and his companion answered in kind with a resounding rumble. “Make sure he crosses safely,” she urged.

He’s not a child Ess…” Romul retorted in response. A soft smile curved the mare’s dark lips as a break in the water indicated Kipling’s first attempt to come through the fragile wall of water. However, his second attempt was more successful. Essetia had moved back into the cave in order to avoid colliding with the youngster but he fell into place before her in a wild tangle of legs and hair. Just behind her, the Hidden Falls opened up into a wide expanse of blooming greens and browns. Emerald grasses had grown through the muddied ground and the trees had come back into flower, sprouting sparse leaves that dotted the periwinkle skies above.

But Kipling had yet to marvel at the greatness that would soon become “home” to him. Instead a delighted twinkle lit a fire in his eyes and his vigor for life settled warmly in her stomach. She missed that innocent part of herself, that part that expressed all that she felt in her own naivety… Age had changed her. Corruption had changed her. Abandonment had made her so cold… “I didn’t find this my friend… it was given to me. Welcome home Kipling; welcome to the Hidden Falls,” she beamed.

His happiness was infectious and sent old, stagnant thoughts sailing off into the distant winds. Slowly, the mare cast her wide, curious eyes toward the sweeping lands of the Falls. It felt as though she too were looking upon the dips and rises for the first time… there was a certain magic in what she found, something profound and grand. Turning on her heels, Essetia began to lead Kipling into the clearing just beyond the cave, but of course was stopped when Romul came barging through the spray behind them. “Some friend,” he growled.

Essetia only chuckled in reply.

Once you’re settled in we can discuss getting you settled into a position here, if you like. Every herd has specific duties and ranks that residents can learn. Essentially, you can choose to become a warrior or a healer, a spy or a philosopher and even a crafter. If there’s anything you find interesting, I can always acquaint you with your mentor,” she stated evenly. “Of course, should you prefer to become a spy, you could study under Romul and I… I’m sure Romul wouldn’t mind seeing you on a regular basis,” she laughed.

Romul whined in response to his name hanging upon Essetia’s lips, but came to rest at Kipling’s hooves in a show of likeness. His golden eyes appeared heavy and within minutes the wolf had fallen into the dark depths of sleep. “He must trust you…” Essetia speculated. She hadn’t seen the wolf so comforted by another in a long time. Perhaps it was time to relax into her new life as well.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Kipling] Horray for post, even if it is crap-tastic.

Unregistered

Hidden Falls – an appropriate name for this concealed wonderland. Essetia spoke and Kipling’s awe could only expand. This time, his amazement spiked not from the fantastical landscape, but from the dark mare’s words: friend, and then home. He stared at her in stunned joy, grappling for words for a moment before stammering excitedly, “You’re… this is your - my home? We’re friends…?” He grappled happily with the foreign but pleasant words, nodding absently to himself as he started to reach some rudimentary understanding of what Essetia said. It scarcely occurred to him to even try to rein in his unfettered glee, even as he noticed his legs twitch and tremble erratically. He was consumed by the urge to gallop off with her right this very second – to see everything and meet everyone and know everything – and the restraint required to keep standing and listening took physical shape in his barely-controlled tics and shivers.

Kipling returned from his trance as he felt another low spray of water and the white wolf reappeared. Romul’s presence seemed to settle his thoughts, and the colt exhaled sharply as he realized he had been holding his breath – he had forgotten to continue doing something so mundane as breathing during these most exciting moments. He forced himself to focus on the rhythm of his breaths, counting each inhale and exhale while he listened thoughtfully to Essetia’s explanation of the specialized ranks. His immediate thought was I want to do everything! followed closely by,
“You’re a spy? That must be so exciting!”

Kipling began to bounce excitedly again as he started to debate the merits of each role. What young colt didn't fancy himself a warrior or spy? Even in his pride, however, he was introspective enough to realize he was likely too playful and glib for the more strategic positions. It saddened him to realize he probably would not be very good at Essetia's job. He glanced somberly towards the ground where Romul rested, wishing (not for the first time in his life) that he could have some other personality. While Kipling watched the wolf's body rise and fall with each breath, he was surprised as insight quickly grew out of that more sedate feeling: He would almost certainly be able to meet and talk to everyone as much as he wanted as a philosopher. That was basically what Kipling thought a philospher's job was: talk and learn a lot. And that was immensely appealing. Finally, he declared,
“I should study philosophy. That way I can learn everything about you and Romul and everyone and everything!” He grinned as he brought his eyes to meet Essetia's, obviously proud of himself for settling at this brilliant conclusion.

Disbelief colored those eyes of bronze as friendly words, so natural to her own tongue, came tumbling forth from her thoughts. The colt seemed to vibrate with excitement at the idea of calling her friend and the Hidden Falls home, but it did not lighten the mare’s heart. Instead, she was overcome with a heavy grief that made her lips hard. It pained her to imagine a life without closeness and without the touch of love she had known so well as a youth. “Of course we are,” she breathed. Romul attempted to draw the colt’s attention away from his fumbling companion by whimpering and yelping at his side.

He pushed his snout into the boy’s shoulder, seemingly begging for his affection even if he did not want for such things from anyone other than Essetia. But he was content to reduce his pleasures to that of a domesticated dog should his mare need it.

When the wolf thought Essetia to have regained her composure, he gently nudged Kipling with his soft, wet nose before leaving him to perch astride the big bay mare he loved so much. She smile down at the canine before allowing her pale eyes to rest solely on the excitable colt she had grown quite fond of since meeting him only hours before. Perhaps it was that they shared the same dismal past, one tarnished by abandonment and loss. She knew all too well what it felt like to discover the foreign strings of comradery tugging at her heart after so long, alone.

It’s a little less exciting than you make is seem,” she laughed. “But I imagine it has its perks some days,” she concluded quietly. There was something so innocent and honest about Kipling that captivated Essetia. She was eager to watch him grown within their family, as good natured as he was.

So it came as no surprise when he stated that he intended to study the uncertain philosophy behind the Falls. Essetia smiled wholeheartedly at the idea and nodded resolutely. “Never has a position been so fitting. We will have to get you acquainted with your teacher then; I’m sure they will have much to tell,” she mused. The mare chuckled softly to herself at the thought of two personalities like Kipling’s colliding together in order to share and create new ideas.

However, she wasn’t sure if she could follow their banter for more than a minute or two. As inquisitive as she was, Essetia was quite content with her own delusions.

They kept her nightmares at bay.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Kipling]

Unregistered

This was the best day of Kipling’s life. His gaze finally stopped darting about the new landscape and settled intently on Essetia, occasionally flicking down to Romul. It never occurred to him to tone down the enormous smile plastered across his face, and he remained entirely oblivious to the mare’s emotional state. A contented, drawn out sigh escaped from his chest and his eyes clouded with a satiated happiness; full not of food but of wonder and love and awe. With his lower lip casually drooping, Kipling visibly relaxed for the first time today.

Essetia’s approval of his chosen path delighted him.
“This is great. This is all so incredibly great.” He muttered dreamily, his words beginning to slur together slightly from sleepiness. It was like the enormity of the day’s activities finally caught up with his novelty-induced exuberance, and his thoughts were quickly consumed with sleep. The ground was so soft and forgiving here near the falls, unlike the unyielding, petrified stuff he had traversed for so long. The sound of the water hummed him a crooning lullaby; a song of utmost love and safety, the likes of which his mother had never sung.

Kipling tried to blink the slumber from his eyes, but the attempt was futile. His smile opened into a cavernous yawn, and he could not help but chuckle at his own display of tiredness. He shook his head vigorously to make him alert enough to say,
“I can’t wait… I think I’d better—“ Another yawn interrupted his stammering sentence before he continued, “—Nap first?”

Without waiting for a response, Kipling’s knees began to fold beneath him. As he laid his awkward body down, he quietly muttered,
“Thank you, Essetia… Thank you, Romul. Thanks…”

And with that, he succumbed to sleep.

OOC: @[Essetia] You can reply if you want to or we can just consider this done for now? Up to you. =)