the Rift

[PRIVATE] Hey sister, know the water's sweet but blood is thicker.

Glacia Posts: 111
Aurora Basin Medic atk: 4.0 | def: 8.0 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Name :: Snowy Owl :: None Nessie

Six whole months old. In the short time since I had been born, it seemed that the whole world had gone to shit. Six whole months. That was it. Another amazing thing. While most of my herd mates had been born in the spring, and had found that winter was a wonder for them, I had been born in the fall. I was used to the cold. I was not used to the growing heat. For me this was different. Wonderful. Mother doesn't want me wandering off anymore. But why listen to her? I can take care of my own young self.

After all... How does one learn if that one doesn't experience? My travels bring me to an arch. Slowly I move close to the cold opening, and my glacial eyes peer inside. It is colder in there than it is out here. Darker too. I breath in and out in a steady rhythm, my breath coming out like the smoky breath of a dragon. A battle is going on in my mind. To go or not to... That seems to always be the question. But the rebellious side of me wins, and delicate hooves of my frame enter the cold arch. As each hoof touches the ground a sound echoes out, and I go further into the darkness, until you can see nothing, but can hear each step echoing off the walls, never knowing where I was, but knowing I was here. That was all. Slowly, I become bored of this darkness, and my soft voice begins to rupture into a soft song. "Little girl, be afraid, be afraid. The monsters like to eat you up, eat you up, eat you up. They hide in the darkness, waiting for little girls, little girls..." My voice is sweet, and soon it fades out into a soft yet creepy lullaby, as I continue to explore the darkness, to find myself, and to find my fate.

"talk talk talk talk "

Tagged;; @[Snö]
Words;; 329 words
Notes;;

I HAD A HEART THEN
but the queen has been overthrown

full image

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
Snö had spent several weeks hiding out in the Frozen Arch, if only because she knew the place was rarely frequented by anyone that didn't live in the Basin and even they were few and far between. Since having found Jakar and witnessing his companion being born and having the run in with her father she hadn't wanted to see anyone. She was content to hide away in a frozen cave and act as its resident troll. Thankfully anyone had yet to find her, though there had been several that had wandered past. She could see them from her place in the darkness, but they did not see her. Or, at least, if they did they did not acknowledge her. It was probably for the best.

The pale mare's ears tilted forward at the sound of a very young voice as it filtered through the cave, bouncing off of the frozen walls and echoing in an eerie manner. Her mouth set into a thin line as she listened to the lullaby, which was followed with the click, click of small hooves on the frozen ground. She wanted to shout at the child to do away, but sometimes shouting did no good. Little ones were often defiant. "You're not my mom!" How many times had she said that to a mare trying to correct her or tell her what to do?

The white and chestnut strands of her tail swished softly as she listened to the echo of the song die away. Perhaps the best thing she could do was scare the child away. Perhaps she would think the cave was haunted and warn others away from venturing inside. "Little girl, be afraid, be afraid... She sang back to the child, pausing after telling her to be afraid. "The monsters like to eat you up, eat you up, eat you up..." She paused again and allowed the echo to die. "They hide in the darkness, waiting for little girls, little girls..." Again, Snö allowed the echo of her voice to fade away completely. "...little girls like you..."

"."

@[Glacia]

Snö
you're looking at an absolute zero
i'm not the devil but i won't be your hero
Image Credit

There is someone else here, and she was singing along with me. Dark ears tip forward as a second voice echos along to my song. For a moment I halt, and listen intently. As the woman (as I assume by the sound of the voice that it is indeed female) finishes the song, she adds a little something. Little girls like me? I smile in the dark. I fear that the song does not refer to little girl like I. But to little girls that do not live like I do. Weak children. Who don't have to survive in the cold reaches of the Basin. Future children who don;t have to spend each waking moment on the lookout for someone who might take their life. Then a curious thought occurs to me. Maybe this was the murderer.

I feel my blood run cold, and something odd happens. The expression filled face becomes stony, without emotion. I don't show the panic and terror that is coursing through my veins. In a moment I had discovered a trait from both sides of my family. The ability of the poker face. Instead of a scream, a giggle falls out. "Does that make you the monster?" The tone is chiding, almost laughing at the one who sings along with me. What the hell was I doing? I wasn't sure how to stop it, it was as if I was a different person, taunting the voice in the darkness.

"talk talk talk talk "
Tagged;; @[Snö]
Word Count;; 249 words
Notes;; Sorry this took so long dear!

I HAD A HEART THEN

full image

ali

Snö listened for the sound of steps leaving the icy cave only to be disappointed when the sound did not reach her ears. Instead there was a giggle, one that set her teeth on edge and made her snort into the darkness. She thought the girl was stupid for giggling at someone that was unknown and unseen. For all the girl knew she could have been the one stalking and murdering the unsuspecting wretches in Helovia. "You are either brave." Snö replied. "Or very, very stupid. Personally I'm leaning more toward the latter." Frosted hooves scraped against the ground as she shifted, edged closer to the light that filtered into the cave where the girl was standing. If she looked closely enough she'd be able to see the dim outline of her face, the frosted tip of her horn, eyes that were as cold as a frostfall morning.

"Does that make you the monster?"

"It could. I prefer to be called a wolf." She tilted her head toward the light and she eyed the child who was black and speckled with white spots. She was a direct inverse of Mauja and it made Snö frown. Had her father gone and sired another bastard child? How many more did he have running around, that he had little or no hand at all in raising? "Your father is the FrostHeart, is it not?" The white and chestnut mare asked stiffly because she already suspected the answer.

Yes.

Another child.

Another life intertwined with Mauja's.

Another child that would be forgotten because he could not slake his lust.

"You poor, poor child." She murmured bitterly.

"."

@[Glacia]

Snö
Image Credit

"You are either brave." the voice pauses then ends her sentence. "Or very, very stupid. Personally I'm leaning more toward the latter." The voice of the unseen woman says. A humm sound escapes my vocals as I think. Am I brave or stupid? I look in the direction of the scraping sound of hooves. "I don't think it would matter either way. If your murderous then technically I'm already dead. Brave or stupid." One side of my lips lift in a smirk, as the woman comes into the light. "It could. I prefer to be called a wolf." I hum softly at that once more. "I wonder if that makes me little rotten red, or possibly a piggy with hairs on my chinny chin chin. " A soft laugh echoes as I think of that. "Tell me... Can you blow my house down?" Another giggle echoes before the conversation takes a turn towards a sensitive subject.

"Your father is the FrostHeart, is it not?" The question is stiff, but at the same time it wasn't really a question either. I snort snottily at the question. "That obvious, huh?" I respond snappily, my voice taking on a snarky tone. With the woman in the light, I have a chance to look her over. She has a close build to my father, and one brow raises questioningly. The arched neck, that icy look in her eyes. She looked like him too. I'm about to ask her if she is also the child of Mauja when her next words softly land in my ears. "You poor, poor child." For a moment I am slightly shocked, then my ears fly back in anger. "Don't pity me." I say to her, my words stiff. I shouldn't be pitied for my bloodlines, just like I shouldn't be killed for them."After all, you look to be one of his as well.

"talk talk talk talk "

Tagged;; @[Snö]
Words;; 348 words
Notes;; <3

I HAD A HEART THEN

full image

ali

Snö could not help the grin that curled the corners of her mouth upward as the girl spoke. It seemed her little sister was just as sarcastic as she was and it was amusing. "You are the rottenest of the reds." The varnished girl replied. "And even though you don't look like a pig you still have hairs on your chinny chin chin." Snö paused and looked at the younger girl. "I guess that makes you a rotten red pig." She concluded.

"Tell me... Can you blow my house down?"

"If I so wanted I could destroy your house from the foundation up, make it crumble and bury you under everything you once thought was important." Her pale blue eyes flashed as she spoke, the threat evident in her voice. It mattered very little to Snö whether the girl was her sister or not, just as it didn't matter to her if Tamlin was her brother, or the other girl that she'd seen in the Threshold was her other sister. Had they been sharks she would have devoured them one after the other and been the only one that had lived to see the daylight.

A sharp bark of laughter flew from Snö's mouth as the child demanded that she not be pitied. "Get used to it, kid. You're one of the FrostHeart's many bastard children. You weren't the first, that honor is mine, but you certainly won't be the last." He would probably have to be gelded to stop producing children and even then she felt that he'd still hump anything with four legs and a uterus. "What's your name?"

"."

@[Glacia]

Snö
Image Credit

Words softly fell through the air, and glacial eyes watch the lips of the varnished beauty, as they curve slowly into an amused grin. An ear slowly pricks up in faint interest in the flowing words coming from her. Blue eyes roll over to look in a different direction, and my head tilts as I muse over her words. A rotten red pig... They run through my mind slowly, mulling over them before the eyes move back to the varnish mare, a molted grin gracing pretty young features. "I can't deny that it fits." The tilted head straightens as a small strain of giggles echos eerily in the arch.

The next words are a threat, and my younger equally blue eyes flash in mock anger. "I would like to see that sometime." I state to her, a wry smirk settling on my lips. Threats where great and all, and I am sure she meant every word of the threat she made. I take a few steps closer to the so far unnamed varnished sibling of mine, footsteps echoing in there clip-pity clop manner.

I come to a halt, listening to the next words that flow from her maw. So indeed, this sass master was a sister of mine. Maybe it ran in the family. Who knew what dad was like in his younger days. Was he a sass master as well? Ponder Ponder. Yet, I still hated the pity. Was my whole life to be like this? Pitied because my dead beat dad wasn't in the picture? No wonder my sister was so bitter. Anyway, There are more important things in life than having a father figure. After all, just because your biological dad wasn't there, doesn't mean that you can't have a father. Blood isn't everything in life, and it is high time people got the memo.

However, I supposedly wont be the last of the children. I hope so. I hope that I am the very last. Because not all can handle shit like I can. Right? I handle shit good don't I?

My thoughts are yanked from me as I concentrate once more on the varnished sister, as she asks my name. To give, or not to give, that is the question. As I think this through I am silent, my mind whirring at the possibility's and each situation, until finally that young spinning mind settles on a decision. "I have heard that names are power sister. But I suppose you wont use my pretty name against me, would you?" I pause, for effect before continuing on. "I am Glacia. And since names are often traded for anothers, might I trade for yours?"

"talk talk talk talk "

@[Snö]
@[Ophelia]

I HAD A HEART THEN

full image
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Confliction. Ophelia felt it creeping in her heart and shadowing her decisions. She wanted to love and be loved, but deserving it? That was another matter entirely. Still, she felt... confusion over Mauja. He looked at her with such open honesty, asking her to dance after being gone for so long... how could he do that? But then again, they had shared a dream. She went back and forth as she walked through the snow, barely feeling the cold as it swirled around her pale figure. A heavy sigh shoved from her lungs, and she looked up, seeing two figures in the distance. Both were so similar...

Her strange, dual colored eyes swept over the two girls. One was slightly taller, older, her chestnut coat rich and eyes beautiful blue and so familiar. Her coat was spotted like snow, and the other was dark - Glacia. She recognized the babe and smiled affectionately, though night fell on her heart. Ophelia was suspicious about their heritage, but she had no concrete proof until she heard Glacia call this beautiful mare sister. So they were sisters.

She stepped up to the pair, a warm smile on her mousy lips. Ophelia danced close, her aura belying the turmoil roiling beneath. With a nod of her head, she greeted them both. "Hello Glacia," she said warmly, looking at the other mare as temptation gripped her body. "My name is Ophelia, Lady of the Aurora Basin," she introduced, her strange, dual colored gaze staring into that familiar blue. She could not control the urge, and she sought out with her mind, looking into Sno's memories only so far.

Just seconds before she arrived.

"You're one of the FrostHeart's many bastard children. You weren't the first, that honor is mine, but you certainly won't be the last."

So it was true, and now she knew. One of many. Sno being the first, the girl looking just about as old as she, and she struggled not to frown. Something in her heart shifted, something she was currently unwilling to define. So she stood, knowing that his children were one of many, and she was one of many. No snowflake was unique.

[[WEEEE <333333
FINALLY >_>;; sorry
]]

Credits: Image by perfectperfection @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

ali
Names are power? What kind of nonsense was the girl spewing and who filled her head with such meaningless dribble? "Names are nothing but an identification." Snö replied, her voice falling flat. "Your name does not give you strength. It doesn't matter how strong or powerful your name is if you're weak. And your name does not predict your future, only you have any control over that, so if it sucks its all your fault. Not your name. The only power your name truly has is the power of hatred or praise and that all depends on who gave you your name." There was a reason that she didn't often identify herself as Snö, daughter of Mauja the Frostheart and Psyche the DarkEmpress. She did not want to live in their shadow or be compared to either of them. She wanted her successes and her failures to be her own and not be attributed to either of them.

"Snö." Came her short reply when her little sister asked for her name. Her cold eyes moved from the dark filly to the entrance of the cave as yet another mare strode in. Snö's teeth ground together and her ears tilted back, very nearly disappearing into her mane. What did it take to find a place to be alone? And why was the new mare staring at her like she had a second head? Her ears snapped forward when the new mare introduced herself as the Lady of the Aurora Basin. Interesting. "What happened to Illynx?" She asked as the mare locked eyes with her.

Snö blinked then snorted and turned her head to the side. "What are you staring at?" It was unnerving having someone look her directly in the eye when no one had ever done so before, not even her parents. It made her skin crawl and she wanted to retreat back into the darkness of the cave, but the cave was her home and as far as she was concerned they were intruding. "What is this?" She finally snapped, cold blue eyes narrowing on Ophelia. "A family get together?" Are you his newest whore or one of his bastards?

"."

@[Glacia]

Snö
Image Credit

Well, things just went sour real fast. At the scolding of my beliefs, my ears flew back, my tail swinging and swishing in irritation. My head lowered, but not in submission. It was an act of defiance and if you could see into my mind, you could see me imagining running my horn into her side. The face that was usually open, hardened into a cold face, shutting off what was going on inside, shutting out those around me. "Do not bash my beliefs, because you are kind of looking like an ass. You don't know why I believe the way I do, so you cannot make judgments nor can you try to make me feel like an idiot for them." My hoof stomped in the mild fit I was throwing, but hell, I would not stand for it. She was being rude, and I didn't appreciate it very much. "You also seem to have ASSumed what I meant by my words, and all that crap you spouted wasn't what I mean what so ever. Names do have power, they have strings attatched, and they can be used against you. So do not tell me that names are just identification Snö, because I'm sure if I started asking around someone would know you, and I could trace your roots, discover your history. Just by your name. "

I am done, very done right now, and I am about to swing out, when what do my eyes behold? The lady of the Basin, Ophelia. My ears flick up at her, a small smile forming on my features. "Hello Lady Ophelia. " I return her greeting, my head dipping to her. I watch as the lady of the basin introduced herself to my elder sister.

Snö, asked where Illynx was, and my memories thought back to when I was only a few weeks, before winter hit, playing in the water, meeting the previous lady. The dark lady with a silver tongue. I had liked her too. But she was gone. "Illynx went missing some time ago. She has not shown up yet." I answered, my voice now taking on a softer tone from my angry rant at the rude sister. I look at Snö, almost coldly, but I resist. I will not go down to that level, after all if I wanted respect, I needed to give it, and I give her respect for speaking her mind. Even if I did go nuclear on her about it. Sorry, Not sorry.

However, she continues to be rude. Instead my ears flick back, watching her with a look that said, you have got to kidding me you high maintenance.. Well. You know. What had made this girl so bitter? First off, Ophelia looked nothing like either of us, or like our father. I cannot speak for her past however, as I do not know it, but I have seen her with the general often enough.

"talk talk talk talk "

@[Ophelia] @[Snö]

I HAD A HEART THEN

full image
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia was surprised and the bitter expression and sour attitude she received from the snowy chestnut strange, and she raised a thin brow, her feelings unperturbed. The beauty of not giving a damn about others was that they had this wonderful ability to never hurt you. She stood, unwavering beneath her gaze, finding the tint of her eyes familiar, though her exterior did not betray the sting inside her her heart. Unwavering, her gaze never stirred, though she heard the sweet Glacia greet her, and Ophelia smiled softly. "How are you, dear?"

Sno's question was answered by Glacia, and Ophelia nodded in agreement. "She was gone when I arrived, and the God of Time appointed me in her stead," she said simply, no ounce of boastfulness in her tone. The attention of the Time God was more dangerous than one would think and infinitely more invasive. Memories alerted her to their lineage, confirming her suspicions, and she held her heart up by threads, a smile betraying the war in her chest.

Swiftly, she diverted her gaze from the snappish girl. "My apologies - I was lost in thought," she replied simply, her words an honest veil of meaning. Indeed, she was lost in thought, but not entirely her own thoughts. The memories of Sno hit her again, the war turning as she was labeled for what she felt: a whore. Men rose and fell in her history, offering words of comfort and strength, then disappearing. Her body had been used for a purpose greater than her mortal meaninglessness, and the taint in her soul throbbed, displaying its ugly impurity.

"Family?" she asked, needing to hear the words spoken to complete plunge the blade to the hilt. Feigning ignorance was easy given the confusion she felt, but still she was a fortress of marble, an alabaster statue of impartiality. "Ah, are you two sisters?" she asked again, the smile on her lips soft but not reaching her tortured gaze.

@[Glacia] @[Snö]

Credits: Image by perfectperfection @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

ali
The laugh that slipped past Snö's lips as Glacia went on her tirade was icy at best. "Your beliefs?" The varnished girl laughed again. "You never said anything about your beliefs until just now. What you said to me was that you heard that names were power, not that you believed names to be powerful, so before you shoot your mouth off why don't you stop and use that tiny brain your father gifted you to actually think." The girl really had to be dense, though, and it made Snö wonder if it came from both sides of her gene pool. The girl continued to speak and only made Snö roll her eyes because all she did was repeat everything that had been said and dumbed it down so she could better understand it. "Now that you've repeated exactly what I told you and dumbed it down enough I think you might understand." Talking to her was truly a waste of time and energy.

"I, however, will save you the trouble of discovering my past." She replied haughtily. "I am Snö, firstborn of Mauja and only child of Psyche. I lived in the Edge until the Moon Goddess betrayed us then I lived in the frozen wasteland that is the Basin. I left there and made my own way into the world, fought my own battles in lands that you cannot begin to dream of, I've killed, I've maimed, I've enslaved, and I don't give a fuck about what you think you know or what power you think you might have because you are nothing." She didn't think she could have made it anymore clear that she did not like the child. Perhaps she would have been more civil had the name Mauja not been attached to her, but that was just an example of the only power a name had. Hatred.

Her answer to where Illynx was was not answered fully because neither of the females in the cave with her actually knew anything. "I see, then." She said, offering no congratulations to the new Lady of the Basin, nor was there any forgiveness as she apologized for the unwanted eye contact. Snö stood still as a statue, her head lifted as she stared at the Lady that no questioned their relation. Sisters? "It would seem so."

"."

@[Glacia]
@[Ophelia]

Snö
Image Credit