the Rift

[OPEN] We Were Born Sick

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo

Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies

Birdsong; it was the season of renewal, of new life, of change. It was a time of jubilation as the weather began to warm and life grew generally easier, but for some, the season mattered little.

For Crowley, the season signified a year and a half that he had carried the weight of the Moon's curse upon his shoulders. There were times the brindled devil wondered if it really was worth it all, bearing the torment he wished others to suffer, from blindness, a forever lingering, freezing sleet, insatiable hunger, and lust for a fucking winged harpy...! At the worst of it, it was Talbot who contemplated seeking the Moon out to take it all away, to allow his master comfort once more, but he knew his skin would be had for pulling such a move.

... But today, Talbot wondered if it would be worth it.

The pair had made their way to the sandy stretch of beach in the western part of Helovia, the very beach that Talbot could remember spending much of his time as a pup with the brindle always right behind him, much like a worrisome mother. The cerulean waters were just as calming and euphoric as he remembered, but this time, there would be no chance to enjoy it.

As the waves undulated across the shore, droplets smacking the hound in the face and wetting his paws, Talbot wished only to show the stallion that there was nothing to fear. However, Crowley gave a sharp snort each and every time the ocean would dare advance upon him. A white rim was visible around his golden eyes, pupils dilated in fear. His striped hide was laden with sweat, as the ocean was far from the first thing to set him off since the day had begun. When the waves reached for him next, threatening to pull him in as it's prey and devour him, and the stallion panicked. Onto his haunches he flew, striking blindly at the air with his forelimbs as he simultaneously turned his back on the murderous waves, landing, then giving a kick for good measure before he darted to the safety of a puny sand dune.

For a long moment, Talbot could only stare as his master, who looked uproarious standing behind the dune that barely reached his chest, before he hefted a sigh and allowed himself to collapse in the cool sand of the shore. What he wouldn't give for this to all be over...

[Part of Crowley's quest, for "extreme fear and paranoia." Open to any and all!]

"Talk talk talk"

I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife

Rhiannon Posts: 76
Outcast atk: 4.0 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 6 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sparrow
"Talbot!"

Surprise, terribly unfathomable bewilderment, baffling to her core, inexplicable and unknowable and nothing like she had ever felt before cornered her mind, wrapped about her very soul like a lover's embrace because yes, yes, yes! Yes, it was Talbot! Talbot, her father's Hellhound, and where Talbot was, Crowley couldn't be far behind. The wonder, overwhelming and complete, rooted her hooves to the spot in a splayed, awkward stance, back legs stretched a little too far out from her hind end, front hooves planted awkwardly in the soft, pliable alabaster sands. The sheer force of amazement chased away the dark demons that played and wrought havoc constantly in her mind, and for one brief, short second, Rhiannon was that young, lanky filly struck with awe and wonder once again.

The Hound had since collapsed melodramatically into the cushion offered by the white beach beneath them, seeming terribly exasperated with something, and Rhiannon's two-toned orbs, molten gold and icy silver, regarded the contradicting colors of the earth, ocean, and sky, searching for that familiar shade of darkness that her own coat mimicked so well.

"Talbot!" She beckoned, vocals high and jovial, and only after those contemplative moments was the Brindled Devil released from whatever spell had held her saddled in place, and she became a quick, moving shadow upon the white sands. "Talbot, it's me! Rhiannon!" It had been seasons since she had last seen Crowley or his faithful demon-Hound, and honestly, she wasn't even sure Talbot would be able to recognize her as an ally, and not an enemy. After all, Rhiannon was no longer that eager filly, but she had filled out and matured, forming womanly curves and a dense, powerful musculature... Yet she looked so much like Crowley that it oftentimes hurt to look upon her own reflection, and certainly no one could mistake their geneology.

As the dark mare approached the downed Hellhound, her eyes roamed the area for her father, for Crowley, for the one stallion in her life that she loved, that she cherished and respected and held in a tender place that only a few other living souls had managed to find themselves in, and when her dual-toned oculars finally landed on him... Rhiannon felt her joy, her eagerness and excitement, drip into something more akin to confusion and her haunches pulled her muscular frame up short, sending granules of ivory sand through the air.

A breath, soft and hesitant, and then she spoke. "... Papa?"

Staring and oblivious to the curse that wrought Crowley's mind and body, Rhiannon simply couldn't understand what she was looking at. It was her father, yes, because she had memorized everything about him as a child, and there was no misplacing him... But he was acting so very uncharacteristically like himself that the dark knight didn't understand what she was witnessing.

Crowley. Sweating, sides heaving. Nostrils flaring. Whites of his golden eyes visible and panicked. Hiding, cowering... Behind a dune of sand that scarce was capable of caressing his ebony breast. From what? Immediately Rhiannon's head snapped left and right, then around her, shoulders giving inwards as she spun about in a quick circle, looking for some wretched monster, maybe a ghost, maybe a creature from the sea that was trying to eat him... But there was nothing about. Water, earth, sky, and Talbot.

"Um... Papa? Are... Are you well? It's me, Papa! Nonnie!"

Take me to church

"Talbot!"

The sound of his name being called caused the hound's head to shoot up, a low, rumbling growl sounding within his throat. Dark hackles rose, albeit briefly as he pushed himself to his feet and looked in the direction of the shout, confusion, and then utter joy filling the beast's chest. Could it really be...? At first glance, he might have thought this creature to be his master, but no, for Crowley was currently cowering behind a wimpy dune in fear of his life. It was Rhiannon he was looking upon, and oh, how she had grown!

Spaded tail waggled back and forth, moving at such a speed that it nearly slapped the hound's sides. A deep whine, jubilant and vociferous, escaped his throat, and suddenly he was moving, the sand giving way beneath his weight as he sprang forward and hurried to the filly who, well... wasn't really a filly anymore.

Upon reaching her, Talbot made to push his head lovingly against her knee, ever cautious of the sharp horns that grew from it. It had been far too long since he had last seen her, the filly he had more or less grown up with, sneaking out of the cave at ungodly hours alongside her and providing endless love and protection. She hardly appeared to be in need of any of the latter, though.

As Talbot looked up into the dual colored eyes he recalled so vividly, the canine's expression fell noticeably; surely Rhiannon had caught sight of her father, trembling and look a mess, and without a doubt was wondering just what was wrong with him. There was only so much he could do to try and explain, as it was only Crowley he was capable of communicating with, but perhaps he could still make an attempt at explanation.

Making use of the sand beneath their feet, Talbot pushed his nose into the cool, moist granules, taking care in making a crescent shape. As if to further explain the simple drawing, the hound looked to the blue sky, the faint sight of the moon still visible despite the daylight. Another whine passed through his dark lips as his gaze fell once more upon Crowley, still trapped in his own personal hell, who had since taken note of Rhiannon, who was little more a stranger in his eyes.

A harsh, popping snort was given as the brindle looked upon this impostor of himself, and suddenly, the waves were forgotten and his attention was placed entirely on the other being. This had happened once before, when Helovia had been taken over by doubles of its inhabitants... Was it happening again? "Go back to where you came from, beguiler," the stallion snapped, dark lips pulling back to present bared teeth. One, two, three steps were taken backwards from his false self, this demon who had come to take him under.

"Stay back, beast!"

"Talk talk talk"

Rhiannon Posts: 76
Outcast atk: 4.0 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 6 Years HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sparrow
The warm tingling of affection rippled through the Devil's ebony breast as Talbot reacted to the sound of her voice, shooting up to his feet with his tail wagging so fast that Rhiannon could scarce keep up with it. The smile pulled at her lips at seeing the Hellhound's eagerness, his joy and jubilation, how he vaulted from his spot in the sand to rush towards her in greeting. Just as when they were young and would oftentimes wrestle or play, Talbot greeted her in the familiar fashion that he always had, by rubbing his head against her knee, always so very mindful of the placement of his horns.

Talbot had been charged with taking care of her when she was a youngling, keeping his watchful molten eyes on her every move to keep her from harm's way... But they had played together frequently, and even though he was Crowley's bonded Companion, the two held a special bond all on their own from their many adventures and scoldings shared together.

Lowering her head, Rhiannon pressed her muzzle against the canine's muzzle, wuffling and breathing through her nostrils in great bursts of air that would buffet and caress his fur. His scent was all too familiar, warm and welcoming, just like that of her father himself... But their joyful reunion couldn't last, not when a key factor of their joy stood a ways away, 'hidden' behind a sand dune.

As Talbot pulled away with a sad whine, then began to push his nose through the white sand, Rhiannon's dual-toned eyes watched the Hound as he worked, realization dawning on her. Something was wrong with Crowley, that much was obvious... But the crescent-moon shaped doodle in the sand, however misshapen it was, and with Talbot's indication towards the faint sphere in the sky, the Brindled Devil realized quickly that the moon was to blame. Not the moon itself, per se... But the Moon. The Goddess of the Moon.

That bitch.

What had Crowley done to deserve such treatment? Such change? Fury and rage blossomed anew in her chest, causing the brindled youth's teeth to gnash as the demons in her mind raged anew, demanding blood and justice. Crowley was her only living parent, her blood parent since Elizabeth's death, and the Moon Goddess had the gall to strut up and damage him? Oh, hell no.

Maybe Zikar-Sin would know what to do... Maybe the Haruspex of the Basin could contact the Time God, and somehow sort this mess out. If not, well... Rhiannon had never taken on a God before, but she would damn near try, if it meant protecting her tiny family.

'Go back where you came from, beguiler.' Crowley demanded in his paranoid dementia, 'Stay back, beast!' Beast... Rhiannon was no beast! Oh, of course she could act beastly on occasion, like when placed in a situation with winged harpies or hornless imbeciles, but never would she act beastly around her own father.

"Papa!" She bellowed again, taking a few small steps closer to him, hooves stamping in the sand and desperate for any signs of recognition from her father causing her voice to heighten, "Papa, it's me! Your little Nonnie! I'm no beast, Papa, I'm your little girl!"

Icy-silver and molten-gold eyes looked back to Crowley, imploringly, pleadingly... Please, just know me!

Take me to church

It drew closer, the demon impostor, crying out a false proclamation that he was the beast's father, that it was his daughter.

Black ears flattened as the impostor advanced, lips pulling back to expose bared, stained teeth. Beneath the maddened brindle, his hooves struck the ground once, twice, three times before he suddenly charged forward, head lowered and chin tucked towards his chest, spiraled horns reaching for the sky like deadly daggers. He drew up short, however, approximately five or so feet from Rhiannon had she not moved away from his charge. Thick head was thrown back, and making use of the momentum, the brindle raised upon his haunches briefly, striking out at the apparition to leave.

"I know no Nonnie," he spat, those words dripping with venom as Crowley pedaled himself backwards, stumbling and tripping over himself in the process to get away from the fiend, the white ring about his golden eyes still very much present. Rhiannon was the phantom of a soul which had never been, come to steal him away to damnation, or whatever was beyond this life.

Suddenly, a black aura seemed to enshroud the male, pulling off and away from him in wisps to create a sphere, remaining stationary for only a moment before rocketing towards Rhiannon. From where he stood away from father and son, Talbot's eyes grew wide as he watched the scene unfold, the gold streaks marring his fur seeming to come alive as they grew bright, fueled by the hound's fear. A desperate bark erupted from his throat as he looked on helplessly, hoping that against all odds that Rhiannon would be able to move away, or the curse simply wouldn't take hold.

'Run!!'

"Talk talk talk"

[If you want it to hit, Rhiannon will be lame for one week's time in any one given leg, or you can pick something all your own :D]