the Rift

[OPEN] Take aim and reload

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
We live today like there's no tomorrow,
We sell our souls and our time is borrowed

A sigh passed through the lips of the young boy who stared out across the fiery Throat. His heartache had once been raw, after a few days it had become a dull nagging pain until finally the image of his mother passed into memory and once again Sacre could live his life as once he had, carrying his sadness as a chip on his heart. Honour, resolve, these were emotions that he latched onto now, hoping that his mother would be watching him and he would do his best to make her proud. With the matter settled, Sacre and Inari returned to their normal vivacious ways. There were moments when the stained colt worried about Roux and how he was coping. Perhaps he didn’t know. Though no matter how hard he looked, Sacre had yet to come across his elusive twin who was most likely still living in the mountains, though the prospect of visiting there made the colt slightly nervous. Maybe he was just a coward, but every time he entertained the idea of visiting the Basin he suddenly found himself to be a bag of nerves and apprehension. One day, one day.

Dragging his sorry self out from under the rock he had been moping under, Sacre travelled on duty a short distance to the Heart Caves, his designated area for patrol. With so much talk of murders, the colt was warier than his usual half alert self whilst part of him was madly curious to see if he could find any more clues. As he always, Sacre constantly worried about his brother, but death and fear made it worse. What if the next body they found was that of his twin? His mother had already spilt her blood, who was to say that it wouldn’t be Roux next. It was a thought that constantly entered his head, spurring him to keep looking for the perpetrator and yet, he had no idea what on earth he’d do if he found whoever was behind it. Was he even capable of killing? The idea was revolting and somehow fascinating, how did you simply take a life? Was it simple? Did he have a right to?

Bothered by unruly thoughts, Sacre arrived at the Heart Caves entrance and waited outside for his fellow family to join him on duty.

(Patrol thread! :D @[Ryuu] & @[Megaera])

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit
R
Y
U
U

I don't know why I'm supposed to have a job. I don't understand how I can be of any use, with my poorly hooves keeping me from moving at anything faster than a sluggish hobble. Momma says I'm too young for 'patrol', and though she and Cera had tried to explain what that was too, but it still was a little too much for me to wrap my head around. Momma had not said she was angry in front of me, when I had quietly asked her if I had done something wrong, but I knew better. Her jaw had been too tight, a blaze of fire in her eyes that I had attributed to that emotion. I didn't understand that she was angry on my behalf, that she was scared because I was so young and fragile. I was already aware of my own fragility, after all.

Ilaria is with me, today. She is warm and grounding on my back, spread out on my dark hide as she soaks up the sun while we travel. I was scared to get lost, I didn't know where the Heart was and I had nobody to accompany me on the way there. Momma had a 'patrol' of her own, and Cera had been helping Gaucho on something called a 'quest'. I was still new to these words, and I tried to understand, really. But all I knew was that I was scared and alone, afraid to fail something both my family members could so easily do, and often were assigned to do.

Ilaria cannot tell me mentally where to go, but she tugs on my mane to direct me, and I feel a little less alone. A little more sure of where I am going when she is with me. She has become as much mine as she is Cera's, but maybe that's only to me. I love her, though I don't remember when that began or how it evolved.

I arrive in one piece, though the heat and rocky ground only further hurt my hooves. I am wincing and withholding tears, though I am used to the pain. It's all I know, and all I have ever known. Nonetheless I limp, rather evidently really, and I can only hope my patrol mates will not think I am useless when they see me approach.

There is only one other awaiting me, and I call out to him weakly, feeling shy and feeble. "E-Excuse me?" Hobbling closer, I dipped my head, suddenly nervous. What if I wasn't good enough? Would they leave me? Would they tell Gaucho and Sohalia, and make sure I was punished? I hadn't asked to be put on this 'patrol', surely that wasn't fair!

Ilaria seemed to sense my train of thought, something I could never truly share with her, and batted at my neck unhappily. I focused once more.

"M-My name is Ryuu. Are you Sacre?" At least I'd been given a name.

@[Sacre]

Image Credit

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
M
E
G
A
E
R
A
Megaera had delayed slightly in setting out for her assigned patrol, lingering near the Throat’s entrance. With the recent events in Helovia, the warrior was loath to leave her home unguarded. She had taken to circling high above the land bridge to keep an eye on the comings and goings of her herdmates and to stop any unwelcome guests. She knew that there were others to keep an eye out while she was away, but she had a reluctance to return the Helovia’s Heart that was difficult to admit to, even to herself. Once before, she’d followed her own impetuous arrogance into that fiery pit and though she had wizened up since then and knew better that to creep to close to the edge, it was hard not to remember those terrifying few minutes. Meg shook her head, clearing away the memories of fire and fear and choking smoke, and continued to speed her way north. She’d been given her matching orders, and wouldn’t let the stupidities of her youth keep her from doing her duty.

She spied the glowing flames from high above and with a tilt of her large wings began to circle lower and lower until she could make out two dark figures the entrance to the nearby caves. One was familiar to her, she realized, having met him briefly on the floating isle; the other she had not seen before, but she’d been given enough of a description to know that these were her assigned companions for this excursion. She chose a spot a little ways off from them to aim for, and it was a good thing she did as she slammed into the ground with her usual lack of finesse. Her body was so skilled in flight but seemed to protest every time she tried to return to the ground; all four hooves thudded into the dirt at once and she had to spread her wings and trot a few steps before regaining her balance. She let out an exasperated sigh as she straightened herself, she really must remember to work on her landings.

“Hello there!” She called as she made her brisk way over to where her two boys stood, a bright smile on her face. “Well met, Sacre. And you are Ryuu, are you not?” she said as she drew up to them, giving each a nod in greeting. She paused for a moment to take them in and her puzzlement might have flicked across her face. They were both so young, she thought. Maybe Sacre was nearer to being ready, but it didn’t sit well with Meg that it was put upon these two the leave the safety of home, even if they weren’t all that far. Well, it wasn’t their fault, she decided, and her features warmed. She would see them through their patrol and make sure that both made it safely home before she took up the issue with the triarchy. “I am Megaera, or just Meg to most who know me. I am pleased to meet you both properly, and your friends as well.” The two looked to Meg like they could almost be brothers, with dark coats and splashed of red, both even had furry little red companions in tow. It must be nice, she mused, having a companion, her duties so often had her traveling on her own. “The Heart seems quiet enough, and I didn’t see anyone else in the area from the air, so shall we have a poke around the caves? They’re not too bad, even if they are underground.”

- - -

Tags: @[Sacre]
Notes:
Image Credit
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
We live today like there's no tomorrow,
We sell our souls and our time is borrowed

The sound of the lad’s approach made Sacre jump. It was one of those odd moments of experiencing both relief and embarrassment. He knew his dark thoughts couldn’t be heard, but at the same time he felt slightly unnerved by thinking of them during the presence of another. With a snort he composed himself and offered the approaching colt a warm, bright smile. He recognized both; Ilaria more so, wasn’t she the panda companion of the Golden Prince? Sacre hadn’t had much chance to get to know Cera much, to Sacre the master craftsman was like one of those respected folk in the distance that he one day wished to be like. Known for good things more than bad. At least, that was the perception the blood stained child had projected onto the gilded lad and his blazon companion. The question was, why was the companion of the Forger following the young lad that now approached.

He was only perhaps a year younger, they shared the same similar black and red traits, but this one had added in yellow. There had been that one-day, quite a while ago now, that Sacre had run into the colt. On of his first days in the Throat he had found Ranjiri along with Cera and this young half-pint. Maybe there was something more between those three and Sacre was just missing a piece in the jigsaw. Either way, he greeted the colt with urbane gestures and hoped his open armed friendliness would ease the boy’s nervousness that spilt through his voice.

Ryuu. Ryuuuuuu. Ryoooo he amused himself with his playful thoughts; there was no chance of him forgetting such a catchy name. “The one and only. The best. The-“ he stopped short of finishing his theatrics as Inari dug a claw into his leg with a disgruntled look of exasperation. ”Will you ever grow up?” He projected the distressed thought to his blue eyed friend. Sacre ignored the quip with a short laugh, his attention firmly on the colt in front of him “aye I’m Sacre and my friend is Inari, nice to meet you Ryuu” he offered the boy, brightly.

Thud. He drew his attention away from Ryuu for a moment to search for the source of the new noise. Maegera! His companion in hunting down the murderer. Sacre let the joy of seeing her colour his features “Good to see you, Meg” he responded kindly when she closed in on them, Inari barked his own vulpine version of ‘hello’.

The conversation turned to the duty at hand and Sacre, who had been on patrol duty only twice before, set off towards the entrance with purpose. “Let’s go!” he concurred with Meg, hoping they’d accompany him down into the caves. His cloven hooves hit the new terrain with a muffled, low sounding clop and Inari followed eagerly by his side, white tipped fluffy tail held perfectly vertical as his little black paws marched away. Soon they entered Sanctuary and the duo came to a halt in the middle. “I haven’t been here in some time… It’s so beautiful” he complimented the surroundings with awe in his voice as he observed the lava behind the crystal. “Do either of you come here often? I remember when we lived here for some time and all I wanted to do was get out, but we couldn’t” his laugh was distant, like it was lost in a memory.

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Ryuu Posts: 28
Outcast
Colt :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 1 Year
Mali :: Rough Collie :: None Brit
R
Y
U
U

It is not only the cheerful Megaera who would notice the similarities between the two young boys, for I stared shyly and as covertly as I could manage at the blood-stained youth that echoed my own canvas in physical form. Though there is no valid reason to fear the boy, something tight and convoluted in my belly unwound and relaxed upon being blessed with wordless greeting far more benign than I had justly anticipated. Somehow, I inspired delight in the young fellow, and a warm mess of emotion clutched in my ribs preened beneath the idea that I was capable of planting that seed of a smile on my elder's visage. He is a jovial thing, and my sentiments grow as he cavorts about in theatrics that spread an entertained smile on my no-longer trembling lips. I even go so far as to giggle, and I think I am certain that he would not be offended by it. Though it seems I had accurately recalled the older boy's appearance, little as I'd seen of him when I was freshly weaned and clasped beneath Momma's wing. I had truthfully relied more on Cera's accounts than my own recollections.

I'm scared by the sudden noise that emanates from behind me, jumping and skittering away despite the sharp burn of objection from my hooves. Ilaria is quick to begin damage control, and I ease into the soft patting of her furry paws and the quiet crooning in my ear. I am ashamed, for them to see me so weak and frightened, but I lived mostly in solitude. Momma and Cera had always made sure they landed farther from me, advancing on land for my sake. I realized that I'd been spoiled by their concern and compassion, and ducked my head briefly for a moment of quiet shame. Ilaria tugged gently on my lower mane, reminding me that there is far more on the agenda, and my distress is not appropriate at the time.

Megaera is pretty, in a very maternal fashion. Perhaps that's merely me, seeking out the comfort and affection of those around me, desiring to be liked. I'm far too young to be finding any sort of aesthetic appeal to her, but her kindness resonates in her sweetly mannered voice and I find myself forgiving her incidental approach. She wasn't to know, as we had never met, and I was more concerned with my own reaction than the fact that she had caused it. Despite the fierce burn of my hooves from the journey my imperfect body had found long and agonizing, I manage a smile for her, tremulous but sincere.

"Yes ma'am," I respond, my voice perpetually soft and demure. She introduces herself with far more grace and eloquence than I am capable of, and far too swiftly the conversation turns to our tasks. They move nearly immediately, their longer legs too fast for my coltish pillars and dilapidated hooves. Though it shames me, I tell myself that it's best they know sooner rather than later, should anything negative happen on our patrol.

"W-Wait!" I call helplessly, staggering after them pathetically and feeling shame burn my cheeks. They must hate me, or pity me, broken as I am. I wish I was capable of truly helping, of not being a burden or a hindrance on this mission, but I know I'd be the first to fall should the wolves come calling for our blood. The sharp decline is hard on me, the angle sending zings of pain up my hind hooves, and my limp is more pronounced as I come to stand near Sacre. He gazes about in wonder, and I am taken by the beauty of a world I've yet to see. The wraiths had already been a memory by the time I had been born.

"Momma won't talk much about the wraiths...it's so beautiful though..." I am momentarily distracted from my desire to explain that we must go slowly, that I have to hold them back, by the gleaming of the crystals and the unnatural glowing of the earthen sprouts deeper in the caverns. Ilaria pulls me from my enchantment, and I quietly clear my throat.

"I'm really sorry...I-I can't walk very fast, my hooves are ruined. I promise I'll try to keep up," I whispered, horrified by my own incapability. Would they be frustrated with me? Would they leave me behind? Would I be allowed on a patrol at all until my hooves somehow miraculously healed? But they were kindly souls, surely they could practice forgivance just once?

@[Megaera]

Image Credit

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
M
E
G
A
E
R
A
Meg moved off almost immediately; she was an creature of action and rarely stayed put for more than a moment. Strong legs moved into a jaunty step beside Sacre as they headed forward into the cave’s mouth. As hasty as ever she was, the mare might not have paused if not for the cry that came from behind her. She stopped just as suddenly as she started and swung her head around to investigate the trouble. Even if the younger boy had seemed more demure that one would have expected of his age, Meg had put his thinner frame down to the awkward and sudden growth spurts of a yearling. She definitely did not expect this.

The poor boy shuffled along as best as he could, obviously hindered by some malady in his hooves. Anger coursed through her in an instant, and she was not subtle enough to think to hide the expression right away. It was not Ryuu she was angry with, whatever held him back was certainly no fault if his but that he should have been sent on patrol? It was the senders who were at fault, and Megaera had to believe that this was an oversight, that Gaucho would never send this boy out into danger and unable to defend himself or even run. She’d already been concerned at the ages of the two assigned to this patrol but this was too far.

Perhaps too late, she realized what her face must look like and tried to relax it. She waited for the colt to catch up, with more patience than she would have imagined herself capable of. It was feelings the soldier guarded now, as well and bodies, and Meg always found untapped depths when it came to protecting her family. She moved again when the boy reached her, trying to not make her steps seem like she was trying to slow tm overmuch, but also trying to let Ryuu set their pace. She halted when they drew up to where Sacre stood and listened quietly as they both marveled at the beauty of the cavern. ”No, I’ve not been back since the darkness passed. It certainly is beautiful. I don’t think I noticed it with all that was going on. It was a difficult and dangerous time.” She too lost herself in memories for a moment, remembering the tumult that had sent them down into this place, and the events that had made her leave Helovia. She had gone looking for her Sultan and had stayed away far longer than she meant.

Jolted from her reverie by a soft whisper, Meg turned herself to face the colt. Her heart ached for him, not only his disability, but for the shame in his voice. She knew what it was to be young and injured and ashamed of yourself and she would not wish it upon any living creature. She smiled kindly, and tried to keep most of the pity from her voice (she knew how an injured pride stung too) and managed to capture a fair bit of her jovial, friendly manner. ”You’re doing just fine. We’re in no rush, and besides, it’s good to be a bit leisurely on a birdsong afternoon. You, know, through there is one of my favorite places here.” she waved her muzzle to gesture at one of the passageways leading off from the sanctuary. “It’s got these marvelous etchings, if you like history, and it’s where I saw the God of the Earth himself bless the fountain” she tried to lighten the mood, to reassure Ryuu that he was not a hindrance, and stories always seemed to do that so she gave it her best shot.

- - -

Tags: @[Sacre]
Notes: - - -
Image Credit
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::