the Rift

[OPEN] No Forgivance

Confutatis the World Eater Posts: 179
Hidden Account atk: 5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2hh :: 9 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Mongrel :: Common Kitsune :: Dark Illusions wanda

Too long has she been mocked; too long has she been forgotten; and now, now it will be no longer. When the gates opened and her captor fled the winter palace of the North, the daughter of death, of oblivion, did not wait, did not hesitate -- she drifted from the glistening ice and snow into a world, a wraith on the wind. Lost. She waltzed into cold and the frigid wind, scarred tissue chafing over brittle bones, a mere ghost where once she had been twisted and deranged and as real as a demon. If only she could bring that back, dig up that Confutatis of times past; but now she was old. Weary. Each tear burned and sizzled behind her desiccated eyes, locked away only by sheer determination and a broken patience.

Her time for tears would come, but only when she dead.
Fortunately, she wasn't dead quite yet.

The wolf makes her slow and tedious way down from the Frostbreath Steppes, a frost grizzling on her gradually silvering fur, encasing her in gleaming diamond and frozen droplets. To stop, she knows, would be death; even despite the mildness on the Birdsong breeze, her bones press and pain her in new ways after her long period of confinement in the Basin. Muscle, which once bulged beneath a dark coat, has shriveled and withered away after months of disuse, and her pelt is thin. At least in the back of her cell there had been a warmth off the walls that kept her from the shivers that racked her emaciated frame now.

Her best hope is to escape the winds of the north and seek sanctuary in the South -- and so she hobbles along, bruised and battered, head down and eyes narrowed against the wind. With each step along the way, the aches increase, until she is almost in agony; but still, she grits down on her groans. She was the World Eater. She was destined for greatness -- destined for a life of leading armies and waging wars and murder.

As the sun breaks the horizon, night at last fading into day, the wolf collapses. Breath rattles from her lungs with a startling loudness, and each rib stands out super-imposed on her shadowed hide. Ragged. Desecrated.

Confutatis, broken.
Confutatis, having lost the war.

The thoughts storm.
They rage. They burn and they ache and yet there she lies in the snow, legs occasionally moving feebly, but down.
She wants to scream. How dare they? How dare the Basin do this to her?
She is a GODDESS.

Fuck them.
FUCK THEM ALL

CONFUTATIS

Join the Regime.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

With the swing of Birdsong finally breathing life back into this valley; everyone, including myself seemed to be in higher spirits. Another dawn stretched over yon horizon, another day. I watched the sun lift his mighty glass eye, chasing back the shadows and nighttime chill. All seemed quiet until a shuffling figure emerged from the timberline.

Overhead and billions of miles above, a violet heaven caught fire. "Fina," tone is calm, but pressing when I reach for her with my mind. On a nearby crevice, there is a flaming head-dress slowly rising from its crooked position in the bend of a burning right wing; she looks to me with a half-lided stare. Neve is nestled beside her; the child stirs when Fina starts to shuffle away, she squeaks. Searching with both eyes still tightly locked, talons waddle her immature frame to the nearest wall. Once there Neve falls blissfully asleep.

Below us, the dark stranger crumbles to earth, falling to the ground. "Will ye find Africa? Guide her to the border?" Fina blinks and starts to scowl, but the raw concern filtering through our bond stifles it. She spreads her wings without a word of retort and glides down the valley. There would be time for me to show gratitude, later. At present there is other tasks to be dealt with. Metallic pinions spread, carrying me to earth.

I land a short distance from the fallen mare. Upon first impression I only note that she is darkly colored, lean -- likely malnourished. Old scars riddle her flesh in various places, they noticeably stretch across her pale mask. There is a pungent, almost rotting flavor clinging to her dirty pelt -- the taste thickens as I draw near. It twists my gut horribly, though it does nothing harshen my tone. "Hold fast, I've summoned a healer."

MIDAS

@[Africa]
@[Confutatis]
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Silas sat chest deep in the cool, rich green foliage of the strawberry patch he had found during one foraging trip alone, a few days before. The fruit growing were scarcely red, still quite tart, though he gobbled them all with ravenous delight and little regard for the hungry birds balanced in the meshed branches overhead; watching with bowed heads, dismay dulling their shining gaze. When a shadow passed across them all, lilac eyes shot towards the sky and they widened when they found the radiant fire glow of Fina- she was not difficult to spot in general, but this occasion, he felt, was not simply a patrol. Eyes still set upon the Phoenix, he called without noise to his bonded, Midas has need for you...

Ears tipped forward as the message slipped suddenly through her thoughts. Africa had been dozing beneath the shadow of the mountain, respite that had been seldom achieved in more recent times. She sprang with haste from the courtyard outside the cells, hooves clattering as she ascended the weaving trail she had come by then to appreciate – where rock sank or root curled beneath the rich valley soil, there was less chance of slipping and she sought such with each lunge along the way. Silas glided just beyond, one keen violet eye attracted by the fireball above, and hidden ears listening carefully to the stride of the mare travelling below.

They travelled right to the borderline; the narrow cliff-face path which wove precariously beneath cascading torrents of water, slick with moss and algae, both of which appealed little to the naturally clumsy grey mare. Instead she transformed into the form of a stocky grey parrot and trailed the swifter zephyrs right over the rocky peak to the other side. As she descended, there lay a creature she had not ever expected to set eyes upon again. Hastily she landed by them, Midas and the mare, hooves staggering forth before even the rest of her slim build had fully morphed back into a horse.

“Goddess... Confutatis...” she cried softly, falling across sooty knees by the familiar mare’s shoulder. The other had claimed demurely not be such a deity at the time, but Africa still remembered so vividly that dream, the conversation, a warning that darkness would devour what would not fight it... She was yet to learn of the macabre rumours circulating. "Pray, are you hurt? Where have you come from?” Voice rattled with concern as tender lips roamed shamelessly across the horribly visible mountain of ribs towards hips even more pointed than her own. Gentle eyes surveyed the fallen creature with rising sadness; the dark lady was barely recognizable – though the shadows in the cave had obscured her well enough during their last meeting.

Africa lifted again, distress etched through her expression, and she neared Confutatis’ gaunt, ugly face – it had not always been so, unpleasant. The putrid stench of decay filled her fluttering nostrils and the one-winged gagged and pulled again away. "What happened Midas? Do you know what is wrong with her?” Her gaze searched his dark features hopefully, tracing the golden markings which fell from each eye and a weak, thoughtful smile pulled away the grimace which had been. Wincing, she stole another glance; one more attempt to find sign of the injury that was causing such a nauseating reek. She was yet to draw healing vines from this sacred soil of their land’s patron, but grim desperation and bursting empathy began to lure tiny earth-caked sprouts out from beneath their snow-covered bed beneath the World Eater.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

In the back of her mind, she can feel her mongrel, the insistent press of his thoughts against hers'; dismay and cowardice, dispassionate unease and, above all, dislike. The thoughts wash and pound against her skull with a ferocity not unlike the brutal waves of the ocean, slamming against the spiny spires of her soiled shores, ceaseless, endless, volatile. There is no escape from the kitsune, no liberation from the depths of his infinite contempt -- and it is this that plays upon her more heavily than all else. Not only has she let her family down, her godly father and the hallowed ways of his black reign, but she has besmirched the honor of her companion, he who crafted illusions of most monstrous intent and concocted shields of poisonous thought. How she mourned bringing him into this world, cutting him from his shell of guardianship to condemn him to her faux victories and false promises; he should've been born to a better monster than her! Someone who would've allowed his nightmares to flourish and grow and catch and snag every unwary fly to land upon the sticky webs of his arachnid grasp.

There is a fever coming down from above, a blush of golden wings and flashing feathers, heavenly; and even in her state, delirious and weakened, the cruelest of smiles curl hazily upon her lips as one eyelid blearily parts to see the smear that is Fina { mistaking it for a lovely god. } Has heaven come for her? The ultimate damnation; to be stuck with harps and lutes and angel wings in all their frivolous majesty!

No. The gods have done her at least this little favor -- her head shifts on the bed of leaves, and she heaves in a deep breath (it rattles like murder!) There's a voice, a stranger's voice, all swathed in courtesy and attempted comfort which makes her skin crawl and she exhales. Seeds of fear burn into being, tattooing themselves upon her heart, poisoning her -- and why, she cannot quite explain. Perhaps it has something to do with the paternal compassion cloaked and robed over unknown thoughts; perhaps it simply sounds too much like... Illynx. And, picking up on this threat, this perceived menance, there grows into being a thing:

A nightmare, born out of Mongrel's magic.
It cultivates, ripens, into a malignant sentinent that is held back from Midas only at the whim of Confutatis' kitsune, whom diligently continues working upon it, making each detail ever more real. Imagine the surprise it will be when Midas receives a face full of sorcery!

NO.
And with a reluctance, the companion lets the nightmare subside without it ever having been launched at Midas -- only at command of his beloved.

Heavenly calls from a voice long-remembered makes the wolf stir, head lifting from the ground with grandiose effort, eyes widening. There, there before her, (well, in truth, beside her) is the girl from the Caverns, and a sudden alarm bolts through her swift as lightning. The devilry of Confutatis' decay magic swells from her skin, and with great effort she draws it back, deep within her, effectively shutting it off. What is this? Confutatis -- caring? For a mere stranger? For a naïve darling with worry on her face? Eat her. Kill her. Thoughts pulsing through on behalf of Mongrel, confusing thoughts. Thoughts of murder, even in her deathly state.

Her head hurts.
Fucking Basin.

"Illynx." And her magnificent skull once again drops to the ground, nostrils flaring piously as she drags into another breath. "Just... weak." Control yourself. Don't admit weakness to an enemy!

But Africa was not an enemy.
Africa... Africa was something else entirely.
Something special.

CONFUTATIS

@[Midas]
Join the Regime.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The revolting taste comes in nauseating waves; tis stagnate, unyielding. Had it not been for the shallow rise and fall of each rattling raspy breath, I'd have thought this mare to be passed on and eagerly ushering nature along. Though I peer over every inch of visible flesh while we wait, I've yet to find the direct source. Was she rotting away on the inside?

Thankfully I wouldn't have to ponder for long. Fina had found her quarry and was returning with Africa and Silas quick at heel, I saw through her eyes, feet clipping firmly against slat as a dappled mare clamored up yon mountain path. For a brief moment I wondered if calling Africa was the wisest choice after all. Aye, the lass was close, easily obtained in a moment of crisis; but she was still recovering and might struggle to summon her power.

My companion soars to a nearby oak off to our left, dark talons sink into and around the pale, peeling bark. She fanned those flaming pinions and proceeded to look her usual agitated self. Though she scowls and fidgets, there is a secret part of her soul that is proud of our work. A warm smile emerged, momentarily softening my face as Africa appeared out from the crest at the top of our cliff. Silas's midnight feathers caught fractured rays of sunlight and seemed to shimmer a rare shade of blue and violet.

Falls healer glides to us in the form of a parrot and hardly had a chance to catch her feet upon earth before returning to true form. Africa's transformation made me cringe, even with thundering water close by to drown out those gut retching sounds of bones breaking and tendons snapping. There was little chance to mount on my disgust. She fell to her grey knees, seemingly anguished. Instinctively I leaned forward, aiming to aid. Though at the last moment I pull up. My grin vanished behind a glaze of confusion and slight surprise. Both emotions are replaced with wary caution as the name of this wounded soul was revealed. Fina glanced up, aqua eyes narrowing. I was silent, though my stare had hardened.

Yar, Seele had given caution against the lass titled Confutatis. The severity of her sins are unknown to me and I didn't felt inclined to judge someone by gossip alone. Though that didn't mean I would turn a blind eye. Her raspy mention of Basins queen brought a heavy sigh, "Africa." Tone is firm and failing to mask the sudden wash of uncertainty. "How does ye know this women?"

MIDAS

@[Africa]
@[Confutatis]

Deceased

You were right, Confutatis... what you told me,

I...

I should have listened!

The World Eater had been more than right. It was as though she had foreseen the one-winged mare’s future, witnessed her past. Africa trembled as the dusty Goddess (all-knowing and imperishable), laid tattered and torn, wet and wretched - but alive in her metaphorical lap. If only she had heeded the warning; perhaps this disease, this inability to cope with life’s perpetual sea of turbulence might never have become her reality – but this was not the time to mourn lost opportunity, and as the putrid stench began to fade around them all, she found courage enough to step out from the security of the mighty Czar’s nearness again.

‘What is broken, can sometimes fly again,’ she remembered fondly, with conviction...

But those wise words once imparted by the Gallant had been warm, doting, even fatherly (golden evidence rattled together, woven back amid her mane); the tone of his voice this time was stern, tentative, everything she had not at all expected. Even before her flaming nape had unfurled in full or twitching, troubled lips had found their fallen quarry, she turned to find a stranger’s hardened gaze, depthless, chilling. "In...

She was in The Sanctuary...."

Pale, eyes dulled behind growing confusion and the Starry-Eyed dithered between her resolve to aid the wounded, crippled Goddess, and her deep-rooted confidence in the stallion who had taken her beneath his benevolent wing, time and time again. The Basin, Confutatis had mentioned just before (Africa knew of Illynx and her ‘machines’ as a result of loose lips in the Threshold), and the dappled mare felt the sting of rising memories, pain and suffering, remorseless torture. The bright pink scarring across her left shoulder seemed to burn again with renewed potency as though it were only yesterday that the glorious wing had been severed from its socket. Still, she was torn in two. Legs stiffened beneath her swaying, sleek barrel and anxiously she glanced between the pair.

It was not her magic to wield.

"Midas...." she whispered, eyes glazing as she tethered bravely her grief. "Why do you ask?" Why did her stomach turn with foreboding? Why was the World Eater’s failing health not his primary concern? The tiny green sprouts began to shrink back towards their clay bed beneath.

image credits
Table and Picture by Niki <3

@[Confutatis]

Thick is the hush which falls upon them, a sluggish and apathetic thing which muffles sound and makes her heart beat faster. The wolf is acutely aware of her vulnerability, the ease of which she could be dispatched -- a single blow to the skull, and she might slip into the oblivion which awaits her entirely. Faster, faster, does her withered heart beat, pulsing blood through her empty skull with an unpleasant speediness; calm yourself. Is she not the master of darkness, of malice, of death and shadow?

No.
Eyes squeeze shut, and her heart skips a beat at thought of the Reaper, haloed shadow on it's throne and god of sullen death. Coward. She feared him; she feared him like she feared no other, with his cold eyes and dead lips, the utter remorseless aspect he wore. If only she were a true queen, a true beast; if only she could cut him down with a single twist of her gruesome lips, a toss of her skull and a wave of necromancy aimed towards his false heart. Illynx was a nuisance -- but Deimos was another creature entirely, and she recognized she was out of her depth with him.

Not with I.
The faint thought of her bonded, her mongrel, a passionate promise to soothe the fretting nature of her ponderings, are comforting, even if only slightly. His efforts are wholly acknowledged by the hellion; but she cannot take let 'comfort' lull her into security - not when there is uncertainty hovering around them, pressing in on the echoing sigh of Midas' voice. Confutatis knows she must convince him, must impress upon him only need and nothing of ambition { though she is rather flattered by the cautionary note. Despite her failures, it seems she has achieved some sort of fame. } Her need of sanctuary has become dire, and she does not know where she will go if she squanders this chance.

Perhaps back to the roguehood, to the solitary life of a lonely succubus with nothing to her name but echoing laughter and hushed voices.

Grovel.
Beg?

"Please," she says at last, lifting her head, rocking her weight back. It's an effort almost futile; legs shake, tremble, but she forces herself back into standing position. She cannot lie, dying; she cannot simply fall, give in to her grievances, no matter the temptation. There is still purpose for her, even if she has yet to find it; still some way to bring darkness to the world so in need of it, to show Helovia the macabre art of war. All she needs -- all she needs is patience. Hollowed eyes gaze up from a lowered head, her slumped body screaming, whispering, writhing with defeat. "I need somewhere safe, even if only for a week. I will cause you no trouble." Saccharine promises -- but her voice! So cracked and wicked and framed in grotesque malice, stitched and needled with death, even in her newly defiled state.

Lashes lower, head dips drunkenly, as she sways on her feet. Marvelous facade it is! But the farce is not so empty as she makes it out mentally to be -- she truly does feel like collapsing again.

At last, her mongrel swarms out from the shadows, slithering up her spine (lean and nightmarish) crawling along her shoulders to perch at her withers; little lips curled back in a grimace. His disgust is ripe, tasting bitterly of poisonous hate, flavored with acerbic dismay in his companion's weakness -- and she, the wolf, flinches at his touch, unable to hold back the shudders crawling down her body. To feel his claws! His anger, his rage, given direct conduit!

Oh, she is so sorry. If only she could've destroyed and killed as she had promised him!

CONFUTATIS

@[Midas]
Join the Regime.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
She pleas for aid. Say true, words often prove to be empty and easily twisted, but a soul can't hide when set to judgment. Unflinchingly I look to her eyes, attempting to separate falsehoods and truth; I'm also trying to sooth the sudden rise of uncertainty and agitation. One gem is paled by battle and now sits as a useless, unseeing orb; the other is a dull gilden hue... the shadow of former pride. I see nothing but shame and desperation. Yar, this spirit had been brought low.

Whatever malice was held against her, it'd weathered misfortune. There is nothing I can see, nothing to warrant turning my back. Africa mentions their meeting in the volcanic caverns during the sickness which took pleasure in driving us underground. She also asks why I'm pressing for information. This is not the place to answer so I merely glance her way and slowly shake my head.

As our debated company rises; I'm caught between wary wisdom and a solid almost instinctual drive for compassion. Fina looks on. Quickly passing judgment and siding with the notion of playing it safe by driving this beaten soul from our land. Her curt and often inconsiderate pressing does little to alter a decision that was made moments ago. "Aye," I whisper in agreement when Confutatis vows to be no trouble, "Ye shall not." Memories stir of a time long ago when Seele came home, fresh wounds, the title of her infliction mark by mark had been she who stands here now.

"Thee name has made tongues in Helovia wag with gossip and rumor." I'd heard little, only whispers and none that hint toward facts. Vocals are softer. Reasonable, though I'm unable to hide mistrust, "A week," I breath, jaw sets itself in a rigid line, "Africa," gazes shifts to the healer and softens. I pray she isn't cross, but perhaps later we would break words on her question, "Will ye tend to her?" Basin is not so kind to simply release their prizes, to Confutatis I ask, "Does Basin hunt ye?" By the pitiful state of the masked mare, I could only guess she'd escaped torture. Whether or not that pain was deserved, yar, only a god could judge.

MIDAS

@[Africa]
@[Confutatis]

Deceased

Silvery, sullied, tendrils which once captured so delicately the phosphorous hue of the underground garden, lashed forward to frame the strangely masked face of the mare. She pleaded as she heaved the beaten remnants of (surely) a once gloriously youthful bodice into the air, and the wretched undertone made the Starry-Eyed’s gullible gut, twist unbearably. Trembling, tender lips, soft and moist without any trace of desert dust once stained across them, danced ahead unconsciously to help steady the pitiable mare should she stagger or even fall back to her grave – it was painfully clear. If the Earth did not lend aid to her quickly, those jutting bones would certainly bare her burden no longer.

Empathetic breath leaked from tentatively-slit, velveteen nostrils as they passed brazenly by, as close as Confutatis might tolerate. The stench which had forced sickened distance between them moments before, was gone curiously, and pastel eyes examined the other’s empty, sunken stare as it drifted heaven bound from the slick slough beneath – desperate, and horribly vulnerable. She inched closer to the shrewd dream-weaver, foolish perhaps, like the lamb lulled to sleep by the jaws of a wolf; inquisitive at first, innocent and trusting. So oblivious was she, so entranced by the spell woven in the grim dark of the Sanctuary, that even her wavering ears could not find that baleful tenor which coated heavily each word.

The Gallant answered her in a cautious tone – but it was softer, reassuringly so she thought, hinting of that cherished tenderness which had etched fondness into the Starry-Eyed’s whimsical heart. He was a shrewd mind, beyond her simpleton’s desire to find only the good, and with baited breath she watched as he granted only a timeline long enough to harbour her recovery. "Yes..." She replied, the answer short, obedient, heedful of the gravity of the situation – though not understanding why it was so for even one second. She can nest with me... though Silas purred uncomfortably at her generosity, put off terribly by the almost cold reception Confutatis had been given.

There was a movement though, as the Czar questioned the Wold Eater further about the Basin, and clammy skin fluttered wildly and fearfully as she remembered the magic which had risen through her toes, crippling her soul and draining the life from her desert sister altogether - surely they won’t come? The creature who had loomed previously by the ankles of his bonded wrapped in the cold blackness of the cave, crawled from the murk and up upon the his bonded. Africa paused as he came, casting a careful eye across him; nervous and fidgety, as though her flesh had been the reason for his coming. But the beast came to rest perched atop the sick mare’s withers, and blunt teeth slipped forward just clear of his reach, to pull the tattered forelock from the World Eater's eyes.

"Goddess..." she whispered, voice laden with gratuitous kindness; a merciful embrace that saw naught but the need. "Let the Earth mend your wounds, please." Long lashes fastened tightly together as she called back the sprouts from their soil bed below and they lifted without question, curling to life as she beckoned, finding easily the legs of the emaciated horse. Coated in rich healing mud, they soon grew into vines and tangled together right across her ruined frame; a mesh, a cosy blanket, warming always as they worked. Africa hummed softly a sweet subtle tune, engrossed, and for the moment she was oblivious to any conversation that lingered beyond magic.

As she released them, Earth’s delicate fingers vanished away once more to sleep, and Africa whispered after them - "Thank you!" She was exhausted, swaying visibly before she turned jaded eyes upon Confutatis. "Can you walk," her tongue had grown lethargic, her voice but a breath quivering as it fell from her lips. "Come, please..." And she began to turn across knees that bent awkwardly beneath suddenly cumbersome weight, precariously, to guide the the Goddess along a rubble path skirting the hidden herd land; to the homely prison cell where they could sleep, that the Starry-Eyed had made as a sanctuary of her own.

image credits
Table and Picture by Niki <3

@[Confutatis]
Note: Just wanted to say that everything described here is based from Africa’s personal perspective, irrespective of Confu’s reputation. Also Wanda, let me know if you would like me to change the mild power plays in this >.>