the Rift

[OPEN] They cut right into me
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
The air was thick, my mind is full. I turned to the hills one clear morning, already having decided to take leave for the remainder of today. Without looking back myself and two avians in tow traveled to a valley shrouded by silver mist; one of Helovia's highest elevations. Yar, tis in that meadow I would come for prayer, mediation, and reflection. There was need for such silence in my soul today. Daggers brushed earth, spreading gold in their wake. The fragment turf swayed, the soft spring blades danced a duet with each breath of air; a calming hue that was sweet upon my palate.

Silently, I walked the edge for a little. Below my miniscule frame, the cliff face is cloaked with clouds that successfully obscure my vision to lower laying lands. Beyond that the pale shade spreads into a sea. A little later I'd begun my approach toward the heart. There was no particular hurry.

An active mind kept this pace at a crawl. I slipped backwards in time to visions of moments and emotions of things long since past. It was upon this slice of land that I'd been brought to knees in prayer many a time. On yon scrap of turf I'd bonded with Fina and rescued a dappled girl from her troubles. Memories. A powerful thing. Much of mine are joyful, and for those moments I was thankful. Though today wasn't only about the past, I was thinking toward my future. The endless possibilities that were presented. How might I seize them? Now that there was a chance to heal.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu</style>
when the sky turns gray and everything is screaming
i will reach inside just to find my heart is beating
</style>

It wasn't often that she visited the field, but it always seemed that when she did she would come across someone that played an integral part in her life. First it had been Apollo and now it was Midas. Both stallions held a piece of her heart, but it was undeniable that Midas knew her on a far more intimate level than Apollo. A piece of her was still sad that they had not been able to work out the kinks in their relationship. She had let it drive them farther and farther apart until there was no way to cross the cavern that divided them. She felt guilty for stomping on his heart and casting him aside, but it was proof that she was no good for him. Sometimes she didn't think she was good for anyone and she wondered when she would finally drive Lakota away.

'Talk to him.' Eytan's voice entered her mind. Her own crimson eyes met his warm caramel ones and she sighed softly, giving a minute shake of her head. He would not want to speak with her. He was probably angry and would be tempted to toss her right over the edge of the valley. If he did so she would not be able to blame him. 'Midas good. He not hurt without reason.' Eytan spoke confidently. 'Talk to him. Make peace. Forgive.'

The bear was far too smart and far too kind for his own good. Still, she knew that the bear was right. She would continue to harbor guilt if she did not face him and apologize for leaving him the way she did, and the anger that she felt for him not being there every day would never go away if she did not allow him speak. Eytan nudged her leg and she stepped from behind the bushes that had been hiding her and walked slowly toward the stallion.

"Midas." She spoke his name as she came to a halt near the ledge where he was standing. Eytan had trailed behind her while she walked, but as she halted he stood between her and Midas.

"."
@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
She was by far the last girl these eyes expected to see among the clouds today. Ktulu, the beautiful mistress that captured my youth. It was yon black mare which claimed the fond spot of first love; even if our passion had withered into cold ash. There is a small part of this soul that would yearn for what had been lost on occasion. I'd crave for a final caress of those silken pale locks and sleek fur.

I paused my walk and lingered as she approached. Ears remained fixed forward when my name rises and her bonded comes to stand between us. Did he fear a quarrel? Nar, this is the mother of our child. Certainly they are mistaken to think that I'd press any harm to her or those whom she called kin. Surely the lass would have learned such in the brief year we spent together. But I can hardly blame her, after all this time, she couldn't have known my morals never changed.

Pools soften, they lower briefly to the large bear that I'd known as a cub many years ago. "Good day ye two." I hardly have the strength to deal with my own current sins and troubles. There wasn't energy to spare in digging up history or scrapping at old wounds that had long since crusted over. What did she want from me? What was there left to give from an abused soul that had made far to many wrong choices. "Taking a walk?"

Ktulu</style>
</style>

"Good day ye two."

Eytan grunted his hello to Midas, his sharp teeth flashing in a manner that those who did not know him would consider threatening. It was his hope that Midas would know him well enough to know that he was smiling at him and not threatening him. Ktulu was not so quick to respond, however. Her gaze lifted to Midas' face and she studied him for a moment, thinking that he sounded and looked troubled. The part of her that had been infatuated with him and loved him wanted to to ask what was troubling him and offer some form of comfort. But did she deserve to even ask? Did she deserve to offer any sort of comfort when she was more than likely one of his troubles?

"Yes." She answered when he asked if they were out for a walk. After the first part of her quest with Lakota and the anger she experienced that was directed toward the God of the Earth she had needed to take a walk to cool her head. It was ironic that she had ended up in the Heavenly Field of all places with the Earth God's most loyal follower. "Sometimes you just need to get away, y'know?"

She looked to the clouds that floated just off the edge of the field, one ear tilted toward Midas and the other tilted forward. "I'm sorry." She finally said. "That we didn't work. I'm sorry that I hurt you." But she could not be completely sorry for what they had done, the child they had conceived together. "I hope that you can forgive me." It was very strange for her to apologize and ask to be forgiven but she felt that they both needed the closure so that they could be friends.

"."

@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
His toothy smile is familiar to me; I'd seen it many times when the furry fellow was smaller and younger. A cub. Those days of sunlight and joy are gray, fractured in my mind. They seem centuries in the past; had it only been a year or so since I'd last laid eyes on them? Eytan succeeds in raising a weaker version of his beam, teasing one corner of my lips higher than the other. I nod when Ktulu mentions the need to get away, yar, I heard ye well and understood perfectly. A soft sigh whelped, escaping between my lips without reservations for polite modesty.

She looks off, I follow her gaze to the sky; fumbling with what to say in my mind...the uncomfortable lapse was short. An apology, unneeded; but I held my silence and didn't interrupt. Let yon girl say what was on her heart. Let her find freedom, happiness. Lord knew this crimson heart needed to find some measure of easement. Golden pools soften, she didn't have to ask for pardon. But the gesture was appreciated.

A step toward healing. No matter how we might have tried--the end result would have been unavoidable. "I forgive thee," crown bowed, touching my collared breast, "I pray ye will also forgive me." I'd never regret our time together, nor the babe that was brought into this world as a result of our spiderweb love. "Has Hototo or Ranjiri paid ye a visit?" Our daughter was busy with her newborn colt, "thee is a grandmare now."

Ktulu</style>
</style>

Her mouth pressed into a thin line as Midas voiced his forgiveness then asked the same of her. "I do." She said after what felt like an eternity. "But it is difficult." She wondered if he would understand or if he would think she was crazy. "I was ... angry ... for a long time after you took over the Falls. I told myself that I would never go there, not even if my superiors told me to." How many times had she asked him to move to the Falls and stay with her? How many times had he told her no? He had asked the same of her, though he knew how she felt about the Throat. There was a difference in the positions, however, and that difference was that she was not living in the Throat now.

"I was angry because no matter how many times I asked you refused. Then the Earth God tells you and you go." Perhaps it was bold of her to assume that the Earth God had told Midas to go to the Falls, but Ktulu knew that the Gods had chosen their own leaders for their land after the darkness. "What I don't understand is why you were so resistant when you worship the Earth God so thoroughly and claimed to love your family so much. Were your ties to a plot of land that much more important than your god? Your family?"

She would probably never understand Midas' reasoning because she did not have the ties to any particular land like he did. She was not born and raised in Helovia, she had been a refugee from Isilme and had known little of the gods and their lands. Truly the only god she had known for the longest was the Earth God and it was only because he had healed her legs. After her final question she remained quiet, wondering if she had crossed the line with her questions, but not caring if she did. Didn't she have a right to know why he had refused her?

"Has Hototo or Ranjiri paid ye a visit? Thee is a grandmare now."

Her sides heaved as she coughed, choked on her own saliva and the knowledge that one of her children had a child"No..." She said in response to Midas' first question. "Which one?" She prayed that it was not Hototo who had a child. She wasn't ready for her oldest to be a father, but neither was she ready for her youngest to be a mother. "Tell me about the child."

"."
@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Mortals are incapable of perfect forgiveness. Which is a pity, for what good was resentment? It festered and infected an otherwise clean wound. None could change the past, we couldn't rewrite our stories and travel down the road of life once more. I would see more paths than most mortals ever did, for this body would carry on when most had meet their end. Gone into an endless sleep.

Ktulu was still angry-- much like Cera. How could I explain my reasoning to ears that wouldn't understand, nor would try to. Though perhaps she was different, perhaps she wouldn't resent or feel bitter for years to come, "I have suffered for choices, as we all do. Many times I thought to abandon the Falls, return to the desert." Gaze drifted away, turning to stare out over the valley and beyond to the pale edge, "I never wanted to hurt ye, but I couldn't forsake those that looked to me for guidance. Kri had gone away, at the time there were few if any others that would take her mantel."

She had left us to the darkness and sickness, the rage of Basin, "Perhaps it was the wrong choice," would a different trail have seen my future altered, "would a different one made any change to what eventually came?" that question didn't wound me as it might have years ago when my love was still fresh, open. When there were no walls blocking access to my heart, "Could I have swayed ye to love me as I did?" A question her heart knew, but would never be able to answer fully. Neither of us would.

"Ranjiri," I answered softly to her second round of questions, "A son she has, a strong colt" though he seemed weak and smallish when I first laid eyes on the lad, "He takes after ye by appearance." There was no doubt in my mind that the child wasn't her flesh, our flesh and blood. "Ryuu, he is called."

Ktulu</style>
</style>

"Then why don't you?" Ktulu asked as Midas revealed that he thought of leaving the Falls and going back to the Throat. "Is a god's request worth so much more than your own happiness?" She would never understand how he could be so self-sacrificing all of the time. She wondered if he ever made a decision based on what he wanted and not on what everyone else wanted? That lead to her wondering if his decision to stay in the Throat was one that he wanted, and if that was the case had he ever truly wanted her and their family?

"I never wanted to hurt ye, but I couldn't forsake those that looked to me for guidance. Kri had gone away, at the time there were few if any others that would take her mantel."

"Someone would have risen to take her throne." She disagreed. "There is always someone power hungry and ambitious enough to want to take over. You've witnessed it first hand, Midas." She thought that he was only making excuses for why he refused to join her and make their family something solid. When he questioned if a different decision would have affected the outcome of their relationship she sighed. "Neither you or I can answer that truthfully. I think had we been together we would have had more of a chance."

"Could I have swayed ye to love me as I did?"

"I did love you." The Constrictor answered quietly. "But how could I put all of my trust and all of my love into someone that I felt didn't truly want to be with me?" At times she had thought that he didn't want anyone in the Throat to know of their relations. She felt as if she was an afterthought, not someone important enough to be kept by his side all the time. She had craved the attention, so desperately wanted the love and affection everyday. Gradually her emotional connection was chipped away with each 'no' she received when she asked him to stay with her until there was nothing left but a husk of what she had felt.

"Ryuu."

The colt's name comes moments later as well as the revelation that her daughter is the child's mother. "Of course he is strong." She says. "He is my grandson. I would expect nothing else." Eytan chuffs and shoves against Ktulu's leg, making her shift. 'So cocky.' The bear teases, making a small grin curve the corners of her mouth upward.

"."
@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
She could have joined me at the Throat. Abandoned her group of mercenaries, the ones who slowly withered and died off with the betrayal of Basin. What life would I have led in her home? Living as a cut throat for bargains and pointless trinkets. It wasn't what I stood for. Yar, a large part of me had hoped she'd have come to me in the Throat; brought our daughter and escaped the talons of a weighted position. Wishes rarely bore fruit, a thing I had learned years ago. Her statement on happiness did make me pause, aye, my care for Earth was paid by this life, not just the joy.

Say true, perhaps though it was time to seek my own delights. Was the idea of it a crime? "My happiness..." I sigh, growing weary already. Gilden stare slowly shifts toward her with a sad smile marring my face, "has been few and far between." There was never an intent to hurt, always to mend; but tis impossible to please everyone. "Has thee found some measure of it?" After all that'd happened, I didn't feel privileged enough in those crimson eyes to ask such a personal question. Yet I asked anyways, because deep down I wanted to know she was alright. I'd tried to love her and our daughter to the best of my ability, or belief of it. Same for Cera, the child had forgotten, but I had tried to make him a home. There was little else to say toward our past; this soul had whelped enough pain of late. The small glimmers of light seemed to stand between darkness and failure.

They saw me as a failure. No matter my answer, there was no redemption. Damned if ye do. Damned if ye don't. This world was full of hypocrisy and double edge swords.

Ktulu</style>
</style>

Perhaps she could have joined Midas in the Throat, but Ktulu had not been happy living there. If she had been happy then she never would have left and Midas should have known that. She'd expressed her dislike of the Throat on more than one occasion, but whether or not he listened was on him. Maybe they had just been destined from the very beginning to fail. They would never know and could only think 'what if'.

Ktulu's gaze shifted to meet Midas' as he admitted that he was not happy and, she assumed, had not been happy for a while. Had his unhappiness started with her? She did not feel it was right to admit to him that she was happy when he had not found his own happiness, but she could not lie to him. "I have." Ktulu admitted. "I've made a place in the Edge. Archibald serves as Captain and I am his Sergeant. At one point I served as Captain with him, but I've since stepped down to aid Lakota in a quest." She paused, wondering if she should continue or leave it at that. In the end she decided to continue on. "She desires for us to have children... and I want to make her happy."

Would she actually be able to or would she fail yet again? Only time would tell.

"Midas..." Ktulu spoke the stallion's name the paused. "Are you not happy in the Falls?" She kept her gaze steady, looking for some sign that he might be lying when and if he answered her question. "When was the last time you were truly happy?"

"."
@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Ktulu doesn't belittle my question or mock the intent, instead I'm treated to hear an honest reply; one without bitterness or begotten remorse. However small the measure, my soul is comforted by this knowledge that she found a sanctuary in this twisted world-- a land to call home. Say true and it was promising place, the Edge. There is a notion in my mind that they might become our latest outreach for allies and hopeful friends.

Apollo had bore their invitation and would be heading to the borders soon --if he wasn't already among them. The faintest hints of a genuine smile glimmered past the brim of uncertain grief. "Children?" I mused, when she mentions Lakota and a desire for family. "Such is possible?" Nar, it wasn't my aim to be rude, but the union of pair for procreation was often a male/female combination. Had the gods decided to change foundational rules?

Another round of questions. Directed for me. A momentary beam is chased back in its hole, ashy lips pinch together as I quietly ponder on what stirred Ktulu. Why was she preoccupied with my life? Why bothered asking past formalities. Yar...why did it matter one way or another. Maybe age, or perhaps guilt and pity had softened her unyielding spirit. The girl who turned her back in the woods and walked out of my life, she was nothing but a shadow.

One day, Seele would join that rank.

I heavily consider forcing a false mask, brushing her comment aside and bidding our reunion good day. But. When was the last time this soul felt at ease? Content with our world? Though I've made and been part of many happy memories, none are lasting. There is silence toward her question; for many long moments my unfocused gaze slipped elsewhere to multiple unimpressive spots beyond the clouds. "Aye," lips move to form the word, but my heart yearned for other things, "There are moments that make everything worthwhile..." With most of Asylum gone or deceased...yon Falls wasn't a horrible place to build a home; yar, my mind could think of far worst.

I take a long breath before turning to face Ktulu. We'd both been honest, open thusfar. "There is... someone who brings a little light in this life. Among the shadows that haunt me." An image of her gentle face flutters alive, haloed by heavens fire; almost instantly I shrank from it and sealed the life cord which feed my emotions. "Aye, someone," flat, though almost a whisper.

Ktulu</style>
</style>

Ktulu nodded her head when Midas asked if it was possible for her and Lakota to have children. "It is." She said. "The Earth Tr... God." The dark mare caught herself from calling the God a Troll in front of one of his most loyal followers. She sighed and continued. "The Earth God has given us a three part quest to complete, but it seems he's more interested in playing games." No matter anyone said she would remain convinced that the Earth God was just screwing with them. Why? She had no idea but she planned on finding out one way or another.

Her own question to Midas was posed and she stood waiting and watching him. She noticed the way his lips pinched together, saw the shadow that darkened his his eyes, and she wondered what had happened to him. The Midas that she had known had burned brightly but this Midas seemed like nothing but an ember that was burning out. She wondered if she had started it when she'd ended what had been between them and if the Falls was finishing what she had started. Her expression didn't change when he admitted that there were moments that made his life worthwhile. He next admitted that there was someone who made him happy, though the tone of his voice seemed to speak otherwise.

Ktulu stepped closer to Midas, her muzzle reaching to touch his neck. "Then why do you look so sad?" She wasn't sure why she cared when she had spent so long being angry with Midas. Still, he hadn't answered one of the questions she had asked him to her satisfaction. "Are you happy in the Falls?" She asked again.

"."

@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Games?

Earth wasn't the sort to jest with those who found themselves completing trials for the sake of some gain through him. Though bringing children into the world was no easy matter, it would seem that even babes could be whelped into existence via magic. My thoughts toward the matter are paused by a hot breath upon my neck, then a tingling brush of velvet. The sudden contact is an electric shock, startling the slice of flesh into an unintentional flinch. Strange how the feel of those persuasive lips used to make this body quiver with pleasure and now... The hard line of my jaw broke, " Happy now," a smile that was more teeth than necessary.

Yar, at least those words are truth. I'm happier then I'd ever been during the majority of a long year of living behind those cliffside waterfalls. "Though, if I look otherwise. Tis because my time of grief has not yet passed." Gilden stare slips to the soft spring flora, so vibrant and alive beneath us.

There is a respectful moment of considering, weighing if my sorrow was worth sharing, "Seele," her name is spoken softly like a prayer. "She passed away...violently." Those murderous shades darken my mind, "An unnatural evil...murdered her." Lids shut themselves from light and company. That ghastly scream of a fevered spirit, I could almost hear it on the wind as if they might appear again. Promising more death.

Unstoppable, unquenchable evil.

Ktulu</style>
</style>

He flinched away from her touch and Ktulu sighed as she withdrew her muzzle. She had only sought to offer him a little bit of comfort, but really, what comfort could she offer? Were ex-lovers ever able to be a comfort for those that they had loved? Were they ever able to be on friendly terms again or were they destined to have the tenseness between them until they both faded into nothing. For whatever reason it made her sad because she still did care for Midas even after being so frustrated and angry with him for so long. He had been her first love and though that love had fizzled out was it wrong for her to want him to be happy?

"No." She murmured when he forced a smile and asked if it was better. Ktulu could not hide the sadness that colored her voice and showed in her eyes. She shook her head and averted her gaze from Midas, unable to look at the smile that looked so out of place on features she remembered to be so gentle. An ear tilted in his direction when he spoke of his grief, but she did not ask what he was grieving. In time he volunteered the information and the name seemed somewhat familiar but the dark mare could not place her.

"I'm sorry." Ktulu said, though she still did not look at Midas. "We're all losing loved ones." She wondered for a moment if the same evil that killed Seele had killed her own mother, but then she remembered the gaping hole in her mother's chest. It had not been evil alone that had killed her. Whatever evil it was had been aided by a very mortal body. "I hope you find peace." Still, she did not look to Midas. "And I hope you allow yourself to find happiness, even if it means walking away from a job that your God gave to you." How many others could the gods find to walk in Midas' hoof steps? In her own? They were nothing more than chess pieces being moved around by the gods in hopes of a checkmate.

"."

@[Midas]

Image Credits

Icon by Tay
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Wraiths and their unspeakable horror. Nameless terror. Even a stony warrior would be shutter after witnessing such beasts. This world shat on us. It was no surprise some ( including myself) would emerge from the filth a hardened man/woman; though when my lids open they are not stiff but glazed and distraught. I catch sight of her down-turned crown, those adverted eyes. Mothers, fathers, children...some are nameless. They mourned their dead with no closure or explanation. At least my soul had witnessed the final breath exit Seele's lungs, felt a slow pulse beneath her blood soaked pelt until it stopped completely.

Condolence. Yar, it sounds genuine. I feel the hard lines of my face soften in response. Even if her words are false lures, somehow there is comfort from knowing that someone cared enough to listen and actually feel compassion.

Ktulu.

"I hear ye well and say thank ye," tone is surprisingly gentle and appreciative. She was right in the aspect that we deserved to find a glimpse of enjoyment in this world. Mayhaps that would mean walking a different path one day, but for now, "The day grows short," heaven would soon darken, those pale clouds would roll across this valley like a cloak. I'd have to return to the thundering Fall's soon, aye very soon. "Stay safe Ktulu," gilden pools shifted to her companion, "Eytan." There was little else to say, so I turned away without further embellishment; fully intent upon closing our conversation on a decent note.