the Rift

[OPEN] !! Absolute

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
a silhouette and nothing more is all that's left behind

She needed to do something. She needed to pretend like she was useful. So, with the long harsh months having already occurred she built up the courage to set out and travel. Tired limbs from sleep exhaustion carried her down south, to the border of the Throat. The Edge had swapped herbs with them before, and so it seemed only fitting that she do this once more. In her mouth was the glass basket Kahlua had crafted and used before to help carry the jewels for crafting. And, carefully held inside the basket was some pine, angelica, and chamomile for the Throat to use if they so needed. About a dozen of each there, which should give them a good amount to go off of unless something drastic happened.

So, at the border she waited, carefully placing the basket in the sand, and called for Valiance to take his place back upon her poll. The red dragon fixed his wings, flicking his long tail and splaying the feathers at the end before showing off his feathered wings and headdress as he landed upon her poll. You see, he was proud of his appearance, and he was also very, very protective of the mare whom he sat upon. She was his, and he would not have it for anyone to get near her and hurt her in any way.

With those thoughts in mind, the two waited for someone to come find them. They didn't dare cross the border, simply waited and watched. "One be soon." Valiance tried to reassure her. "It be fine," a nod of his head and a few clicks in a calming tone kept her from the anxious tremors that so often racked her frame.

Someone would come… yes?

@[Tandavi]

Credits: Whit's tables were an inspiration | Coding by Schwartze | Image
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

She wonders what it will be like, when they are an island. Will they be lonelier than they already are, isolated from visitors who do not bear wings? How will her mother find them, if she ever comes home? Madyrn and Maskan? Lace? Despite the Sun God's promise that this is for her, the girl cannot shake her deep-set dislike, her itching, aching concern that this is merely something else which sets her apart. Gaucho will not need the bridge. Nor will Sohalia, or Ampere, or any of the other ranked members of her herd.

Tandavi is alone on the burning sand, and she thinks that the ground is a wretched place to be.

Black and cream, her brother skips ahead of her, blithely ignoring the turmoil of his sister. He feels lonely, to be sure, the same way she does, yet it bothers him less- he has her, and Inari, and has never shared her terror that they are secretly disdained, unwanted members of a family they have never fully occupied. Three tails swing in the delicate birdsong breeze as the fennec leaps from shrub to shrub, stalking some invisible lizard or mouse, running ahead before swinging back with a grin. The girl watches him and feels some of her anxiety melt slowly away- because he's right, after all. She worries too much. The Sun God's reassurances should be more than she could ever need.

Black eyes narrow as the boy grows still, massive ears raised at some distant sound. She has not been watching the horizon to the north, but as she follows his gaze she realizes a figure stands outside the unfinished wall, distant and lonely, earth-bound as she. Onyx gaze blinks, and the girl stares thoughtfully, wondering who the stranger might be. It is only when Natraj bounds forward, calling back through their bond, that she realizes there is an easy way to find that answer. Slowly, purposefully, the copper girl follows in minuscule steps.

She reaches the pair after her brother, who has stopped a length away to stare raptly at the red. Dragons are something the boy was raised with, raised by- they both were, and every time they see one it is a wealth of warm memories with a low, painful ache. Tandavi stops at the kitsune's side, eyes drifting carefully between dragon and mare.

She has never met a dragon so richly feathered, and never met a mare with such delicious locks. Yet there is something more immediate, more exciting about the pair than merely their looks, and as Tandavi looks down upon the shorter creature she feels her heart beat tight within her chest. The long-haired dun smells of half forgotten dreams, of salt mist and pine trees, and the girl cannot help it: she asks the question which has boiled on her tongue since she first saw the dragon, alto voice tumbling forth in a mixture of hope, and curiosity, and accusation, and want.

"Are you from the Edge?"

@[Resplendence]
[ do you want to be tagged? ]
x - x

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Her eyes stayed trained upon the basket at her feet. They had all of the herbs inside, and she couldn't help but to continue to think that if she stared at them even longer that something would change and her uselessness would slowly begin to fade away.

Alas, something seems to be moving toward them, and it is Valiance who allows her to know that. "Arrival," he warns so that she does not jump, does not spin on her haunches and rocket away in a panic when words fall from their lips. "Thank you," she says through their bond, golden orbs lifting to meet the on-comers and watches as they seem to stare with intent at the pair at their border. To be expected, she realized, because she was not actually one of them. She would have done the same had someone else shown up at the border of the Edge.

But they were quiet. They just… stood there. The young animal that resembled a fennec fox with multiple tails seemed to be highly interested in Valiance, though. And it was that interest which was mimicked in Valiance's gaze upon the black creature before him. Still, Resplendence stayed quiet until the other mare spoke. A simple sentence, a simple question.

She paused for a moment before words fell from her lips. "Yes. I am from the Edge. My name is Resplendence, and this is Valiance. I came bearing gifts as some of the Throat healers did a little while back…" Another pause, as she attempted to center herself, her mind clinging to Valiance's strength for support. "I hope I'm not being a hindrance - I just thought the herbs might be useful…"

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
With love

Bi-colored ears raise expectantly upon her crown, the girl's heart beating with uninvited candor. She had met others from the Edge; why this was so different, the girl could not say, yet she knew that there was some change which invited her to see the members of her homeland in a newer, brighter light. She listens to the name and it rings no bells, but even the promise of being from the Edge is enough to make her shiver and shift.

The rosy mare speaks in pauses, a caution in her voice which fills the child with embers of concern. Copper girl listens with a gentle sort of patience, forcing down her restlessness and replacing it with curiosity. The Throat and the Edge had never been enemies; why should Resplendence be so disquieted here? "That's very kind," she offers softly, dark voice filled with what she hopes is reassurance. In her time as medic she had never thought to do such a thing.

She thinks she ought to add something more, but her voice sits warm and lazy in her throat. Instead she smiles, a subtle curve of the inky lips that does not quite soften concerned eyes, and wonders what demons plague the shorter mare. What shadows ride her pale shoulders, stalk her steps and lurk in the dark? Had the history of Helovia laid inky fingers on another heart? She wonders why she cares, and knows it is because part of her still belongs to the land, because the mist and the salt will always run through her veins.

It is a truth she has never acknowledged before, but now that she looks at it she wonders how she could have spent so long unaware.

Firmer voice, brighter voice, realization cascading into something vibrant and fierce. "I was born in the Edge," she tells the mare. And that means we're family. It means I'm here for you. A paw on her cannon makes her pause and look down; her brother stares up through pleased gold eyes, proud of the changes he has seen bloom beneath her chest of late. She smiles at him, then looks back to the mare. Then, belatedly, the girl offers: "Would you like to come further into the Throat?"
x - x

Resplendence

It was quieter than she expected. There were not too many words from the copper mare who stood before her. And, it seemed as though once Resplendence stopped speaking the air just hung. Until three words fell softly from her lips. Somewhat reassuring. "Thank you. It is but nothing, though." A quiet sigh escapes Resplendence's maw as Valiance shuffles his position until he is pressed against her withers, claws beginning to tug at her mane and braid it in an attempt to comfort her as Quilyan's Zarina had once done for the both of them.

And then, the subject changes. Rather quickly, might Res add, as it moved from herbs back to the Edge. It is upon the young one's realization that Res actually took a good look at the mare before her, braided hair and moon faced. No, she was not that old - yet she held some form of resemblance to a filly in herd meetings. "I remember you… around the time of the invasions. Or… I at least recall a filly with a moon marking upon her face much like yours at the herd meetings. You were there when Mirage was Queen?" A break, eyes lowering - not wanting to offend the young one at all. And she takes in a low breath, Valiance clicking quietly beneath his breath in support. "I never had the pleasure of your name, though."

It is when the young one asks if she would like to come further into the Throat that Res carefully bobs her head. "If it isn't a burden that would be lovely. It was a long journey, and water would be perfect." A pause, eyes finally beginning to lift again toward the other mare's gaze. "Perhaps I can explain the herbs for you, as well… if you aren't sure what they do, of course…"

And Valiance clicked again, this time moving up her neck and back to her poll. Stretching his wings he crooked his head to the side in inquisition about the equine before him. He did not think her a threat, not yet, and so he wasn't doing anything rash. But, still. He would keep his watch. He would protect his companion.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Surprise, almost fearful, plays its way across the girl's face: she does not expect to be recognized, certainly not to hear herself tied to long-lost names. It brings painful recognition into bright black eyes, cloaks her with a sudden, bittersweet remembrance of halycon days lost in dim memory. "Yes," she answers, simply and slowly. We were there... until they all left us. She realizes that her attention has strayed from the rosy mare, drifted to a horizon only she can see, and with a quiet start she pulls it back, drawn by the soft voice and a claw upon her cannon. Dark eyes blink as she collects herself- asked our names, the brother says, and his sister's pale smile returns. "Tandavi." She gestures down. "And this is Natraj."

She wishes she were not so afraid, that whispers of her past did not fill her with fear, a quiet dismay she dare not quite face. Part of her wishes to embrace the Edge; she longs to be the child she was, to look at the moon beneath starlit nights with wonder rather than dread. Yet faced with the reality of those memories she quivers, uncertain, and loathes herself for it. How can she be strong for this stranger - her family - if she cannot find the strength to confront her own fears?

Thin lungs expand, and sink as she breathes deep. Fire dancer knows it does not matter what she fears; she is a part of a world now, far greater than herself.

Is this what it was like to be her aunt, Mirage?

Even as Resplendence agrees to come further into the Throat, the fire dancer hesitates, poised to turn yet not quite prepared. Something about the mare gives her pause; how hesitant the other is, how still yet tumultuous, more uncertain, perhaps, than Tandavi herself. Her dragon is another point of curiosity. Natraj has been watching the crimson beast, mimicking movement and raising large ears. As the girl puzzles the shadows which flicker away from the edge of gold eyes, the boy tells tales of tight lines and wary gaze, shifting and peering in his younger cohort. How do we help them? she wonders, at a loss.

Can't. Don't know what's wrong.

Well, that's her first obstacle to overcome.

Focusing on another draws from her distress; she can leave behind her own alarm, funnel her fear into being a champion. "I would like to learn," she says to the stranger, soft smile rubbing away lines from her face- sincerity bright in the dark alto tone, for curiosity is ever the girl's strongest trait. She lets herself turn at last, leading the way, inviting pursuit; long limbs move languidly toward the Oasis as she puzzles silently, eagerly, trying to solve the mystery of how to save this girl.
x - x

Resplendence

She almost paused at the shock that was flourishing upon the chestnut mare's face. And her eyes, something seemed to cloud them. Maybe she should stop. Maybe Res shouldn't be pushing these topics. But, the familiar itch in the back of her mind was something that she couldn't fight off - it was something that she had to keep pushing forward with. Alas, as Resplendence asked for the two creature's names, the other mare seemed to be off in some kind other space. If it wasn't for the little black fox-like creature she wasn't sure that names would have come. Yet, he as there and the names still came. Tandavi and Natraj. There is a gentle smile that curves across Resplendence's maw before she allows the names to fall off of her lips in a lyrical fashion. "Tandavi and Natraj, it is but a pleasure to finally meet you both." Sweet, like sugar, and unwavering for once. Why? Because it was true - they had been her kin, good memories of the past which had been so dearly missing since they came back out of the caves.

Valiance shifts into the air as soon as the orange mare begins to move. Res, catching the sight of hesitation (or what she assumed was hesitation) that easily mimicked her own at levels that seemed so much more manageable. Res goes to move as well, but barely even lifts a limb when the other one doesn't actually turn. Her one ear relaxes, falling to the side for a second in uncertainty, concern. Perhaps they didn't want her here. It made sense, she wasn't one of them. But she had come baring gifts, trying hard to return a favor which had been given to her herd. She had come trying to actually give them herbs when they would be of the most necessary. Between births and training battles injuries were bound to be popping up during this spring season - they would need non-magical remedies as well, if they would accept them.

Still, the mare breaks from the almost frozen state and this time offers words. "She learn. She kind." Valiance says, as if he was giving his seal of approval for this orange mare and her black fox-like companion. His stance seemed to lower, at least until they all moved into the Throat. Why? Because once inside he did not know those who were around them. And he needed to be positive that none would come ridicule her, would come and cause her more pain than before. But, it was those words as well that reminded Resplendence of another mare who had resided in the Throat. A mare by the name of Rowan. One who had her ticks but seemed to soak up information like no other. Oh how she missed her!

She swallowed, forcing her limbs forward until they reached the Oasis. And, when finally there she let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding this entire time. Golden orbs blinked before she rested the tip of her hoof in the cool water. And, once certain that nothing was going to come out of it she allowed her maw to press against the top and began to eagerly suck the cold liquid in. She would make it quench her thirst and soak the memories in a freezing layer that would numb their pain. It would allow her a few moments of normalcy so that she did not crack in front of someone (while still family from old Edge relations) whom she did not know.

And, then, when she was done drinking she looked back up, instantly placing herself a respectful distance away from the orange mare and her companion before beginning to go through the basket at her side. She pulled one of each herb from the mix and lay it out on the ground before her so that pine was to her left, angelica in the middle, and chamomile was to her right. "Valiance, pine please?" she asked through the bond before clearing her throat, trying to put herself at ease before speaking. Valiance swooped down, brushing his tail feather against her pasturns in a comforting manner before grasping the pine with his talons and hovering between the two mares. "This is pine, when you crush up these needles you have a… balm of sorts to massage into the joints or swollen limbs." A pause, as she closes her eyes, taking in a steadying breath. Yes, this was where she found the most peace - but being in the different land, it was causing her to lose some of the confidence she usually held when speaking on this matter. "It will help with pain… and promote circulation for the swelling joints and limbs. It's useful for after battles, when swelling can arise. I brought enough to treat about twelve… medium injuries."

And, suddenly, as if it hadn't occurred to her sooner, she stopped and eyes widened for a second, head dropping in embarrassment. "And please, don't be afraid to stop me if something is confusing," she whispers, the somewhat steady confidence that came from speaking about herbs completely disappearing as it returned to the uncertainty that was present at the border.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

They make the walk in comfortable silence, the girl happy to use the time to reflect on her companion, make the mare an obstacle to the anxiety which plagues her. Unabashed by her brazen curiosity, firedancer lets her gaze fall frequently on the mare, capturing the golden necklace, the bracelet of glass, the absent ear atop her poll. It paints a picture of sweet fragility which fits nicely in the impression the child has formed. Also strong, her brother mentions; the girl nods. Of course. Anyone who had survived the trials of Helovia must be strong; they had to be. The land demanded it of them.

She watches patiently as the mare drinks, and stiffens slightly when she pulls away, but does not follow or close the space. The kitsune has no such qualms; he bounds toward Resplendence, great ears held high, still hoping Valiance will abandon his post and come down to play. When he does descend the boy is disappointed and the girl enthused; she laughs silently at her stricken brother, watching him sulk toward the Oasis edge before turning undivided attention to the medic and her friend.

The girl soaks in information like a sponge, but she cannot deny there's just something about plants which makes them... well, dull. Why care about herbs when you can heal with magic? They're valuable for those who lack the ability, but the girl simply is not among that group. Some small sense of self-importance and ego blooms within her chest, arrogance rarely seen and sorely misplaced. Her mind starts to wander.

"Oh!" she manages, half a second too late. She smiles, tries to look more engaged than she is, and kicks herself mentally for being so rude. How will she save the mare, if she cannot even pay her five minutes of attention? "I will," she reassures, perhaps unhelpfully, vowing to listen more closely, be more engaged. Pine is used to treat... bruises?

Swelling,
her brother corrects disparagingly from his place at the water's edge. I was listening.

@[Resplendence]
x - x

Resplendence

See, herbs had been her life. It was the only thing that she could work on before she had been promoted to Moon Doctor to help heal everyone. And, now that the position was stripped from her she was back to the herbs. She was back to the mindless memorization that calmed the anxiety that forever bubbled inside of her. It was a way to be normal, a way to find strength - even though she didn't know that it was doing such a thing.

The young black companion tried to get Valiance's attention, which he caught but not enough to get Valiance off of Res' poll. At least, he didn't move until she went to start teaching. Explaining the pine only to see that the mare before her doesn't really care. Her voice coming in as if it were late - not like she was processing the information. And the smile, was it even true? What little shred of confidence had been building inside the mare disappeared. She shuddered as Valiance placed the pine back on the ground and grabbed the Angelica. "Angelica," Res whispered, taking in a deep breath, trying to ignore the reaction she could only assume had been disinterested and forge on as if it hadn't happened. "It helps with childbirth, colds, and depression. There's enough for about five or six pregnant mares."

But she stops. Valiance carefully placing the Angelica back where it came from. She shakes her head, biting back the tears and the uncertainty. "Y-you don't care. I don't b-blame you. The herbs are boring anyway… b-boring when you have everyone else to be around," She chokes up, stepping back a little as Valiance grabs the chamomile and drops the white flowers directly on top of Tandavi, should she not have moved. And then, with a swish of his tail close to her face he swoops back toward Res, curling up on her poll and wrapping his wings around the top of her head. It was an attempt to comfort her, as he let out a few clicks. "There's enough chamomile for twelve horses with minor afflictions," a pause, as she stutters, "it does p-pretty much every-vrything if you use it in the correct m-manner… I'd g-go into detail, but if yo-you don't care I won't w-waste your time."

She shouldn't have expected them to care. She shouldn't have ever expected anyone to care. She had tried to teach the Edge, and even then it seemed that few nurses even took the time to try and learn anything that she gave them. Eyes fell shut as she took in a few shuddering breaths - attempting to stabilize herself as she fought the anxiety already within her system.

Why did she try?

When I'm ready to fall
With love