Prayers

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE

Who, in his mind,
has not probed the dark water?

For once the silver coated stallion was completely alone. He could feel the presence of his dragon companion as a gentle touch within the mind, like the intangible brush of sunlight against skin. She was off hunting somewhere and had closed her thoughts for him, and while he missed having the pale shadow follow in his trail, Lace was also a bit grateful for this opportunity. He was going to do something he had never done before, and he had no interest in Fajira's smart comments right now.

The world seemed etched in steel that morning, so early that the first light of dawn just barely had begun to brighten the sky. The heavens were covered in a veil of clouds, and there were no shadows thrown from the hot rocks beneath his feet nor from his own shape where he carefully made his way along the narrow path. It seemed somehow fitting that he would come to this place, but even so the soldier felt somewhat uncomfortable. He had never been one to rely on the higher powers of the world for comfort or strength. From foalhood he had been taught to rely on his own strength, and the strength of his comrades, to solve his own problems. Honor and protect, respect and serve. Those words had been guiding stars, and he had done his best to follow by them. But something had happened that had shattered his faith in himself. He had broken his word, had risked the entire herd he had sworn to protect, and even now, years after the event the stallion still couldn't forgive himself for what had happened.

He slowed down when the shrines of the gods came into view and regarded the location with hesitation. Maybe it was stupid of him to come to this place. Why would gods care about someone like him, who had never prayed to anyone in his whole life? The light in his life was the gentle girl who's mind he was connected to, and he had sworn to love and care for her for as long as they both lived. There was little room in his heart for anyone else, between the devotion for the dragon and the guilt over his own past actions... But maybe, just maybe these mighty beings that were called gods would have some advice for him, offer a course of action that could satisfy the restlessness within his heart.

"Honored Gods of Helovia, I greet you" the soldier said in a low voice and lowered himself into a deep bow, stretching one leg out in front of him while kneeling with the other; it was the most respectful way of greeting someone that he knew of, and who could demand more respect than a god?
"I am Lace, a wanderer who have only recently entered into your lands. I am unworthy of standing before you; blood soaks my hooves from many battles, many of which I had no proper cause of entering into." He paused for a moment, struggled with the search of proper words to shape his emotions into. Eventually he gave up with a sigh and stood up from the kneeling position, abandoned the attempts at being formal and simply spoke, trying not to feel silly for speaking to the air.

"I committed a crime once" he confessed with a voice heavy with the guilt he was feeling. "I was taken into a herd and served it as a warrior, I swore to protect the members and honor the leader. She was a strong queen, a mare worthy of my loyalty. Yet when she needed me the most, I betrayed her. I sold her out to a rivaling herd, in exchange for nothing but a place and a rank in the herd; still only a warrior, but now one lacking of honor." He felt how bile of self loathing rose in the throat and burned his mouth, like the confession burned within his conscience. Lace closed his eyes and allowed the heavy sorrow and despair he felt to come forth, not trying to hide anything for the eyes that maybe watched him right now, judging his words and history. He wouldn't blame them if they chose not to do anything.

"I ask for your guidance" he continued, ashamed over the need of help and his inability to deal with his own sins. "Is there a way to pay for my crimes? I have carried this weight upon my conscience for so many years now, and it consumes me slowly from within. I don't know what to do anymore. Please, will you help me?"

The plea was torn from his lips in a pained whisper. He opened his eyes and waited, hoping but not expecting to have his prayers answered.

Credits
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Unfortunately the Gods of the Earth and Moon are unable to bless you with their presence. You will have to carry your guilt until you are able to return.

Return Date: 11/6