the Rift

THE SUN ALSO RISES

liriel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

l i r i e l ;

Inevitably, the first thing I notice about this new forest is the climate. Currently alive with young growth, this forest is vastly different from the tropics I was born into and yet I find myself not minding that the air is both cooler and drier nor do I mind the sharp smell of pine tickling my nose. Songbirds flutter between the branches undisturbed as I move through the brush in wide-eyed exploration. I could be dismal – and a sliver of me is – but my soul can’t resist the temptation of a whole new world spreading out before me. So I’m drawn deeper into the trees, every leaf and shrub begging for my undying attention. In my tender youth I can bounce back from anything and keep myself occupied by everything. Besides, my father promised to find me, and his promises are sacred – why should I be grieving the distance between us?

I spread across the small patch of forest I’ve landed in, examining everything in close detail. I’m instantly in love with the smell of the dew-sodden foliage and rich earth, the thousand bird songs harmonizing into a single orchestra, and the seemingly endless ocean of green that spreads out on every side of me. I’d been so relieved to see land the night before that I hadn’t paid much attention to my surroundings when I just about crash-landed into them. I’d been flying straight across mile after mile of unforgiving sea for what had felt like an eternity. When the trees broke the monotonous blue, I’d nearly wept from relief and my quivering wings had just about given out before my hooves touched the sweet earth. I’d collapsed into a heap on the mossy forest floor and sleep had claimed me in minutes. I’d dreamed of Castres and my father and of the urgency in which he’d sent me away. I dreamed of our beautiful Queen being disposed of, and looters ravaging the peninsula for all it was worth. In my sleep my heart had cried but when I woke up I stored the thoughts away and let the excitement of exploration overcome me. It was the same coping tactic I’d used since the attack on my homeland. I imagine it will be the same one I use until the memories fade into oblivion, if they ever do.

The cloud of dark thoughts is banished by a patch of bright purple flowers unfurling in the morning light at the base of a vine-covered tree. With my interest piqued I can do nothing but wander toward them, admiring the delicate petals still glistening with dew droplets. I lean in to smell them, greeted by an enticingly sweet aroma. I’m tempted to pick one and carry it with me on my journey, but the idea of disturbing the innocent little plants deters me. I straighten and turn away, suddenly aware of the fatigue in my muscles. I’ve never flown as hard or for as long as I did when I fled Castres and my body is protesting further action and begging for rest. I scowl suddenly – a rare expression to grace my features. I want to see the rest of what this new world has to offer but my body warns me not to push it, and so I drop gracefully back to the earth, curling close to my patch of amethyst flowers. Boredom soon overtakes me.

------------------

a brief note: this is open to anyone

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
There was only so long she could sit in the Falls until she drove herself mad from bordem. By now, her sides had expanded and she was on the verge of finally admitting to herself there was another horse living inside of her. Obviously, she chose the most awkward and disgusting way to think of it, but she was correct nonetheless. Edgar, on the other hand, was extremely excited about the prospect of playing around with a baby. To him, it would be much like his own companion. 'Keep telling yourself that...' Elsa would say to him, but he insisted that a child would be incredible fun. He was ignorant to what Elsa was dreading, it would need food, care, and enrichment. Not to mention, she would have to be at the very beck and call of it, waiting on it like a servant. Edgar pointed out then, that she probably was annoyed because she would finally lose all of her queen-hood ego. Instead of being in charge, she would finally be beneath someone; and a child at that.

So her wings took her off the ground. The extra weight proved a little tricky, but she could get to the Threshold nonetheless. Of all the places she could go, the ones at the gateway were the easiest to deal with. Most were looking for help, and if there was one thing that could take Elsa's mind off of her troubles, was helping others. As the forest blossomed into view, she landed just outside the edge of the Threshold. It would be much easier to try and get through the trees by walking. She didn't trust her agility to avoid trees at this moment.

Clunking alone, the smells seemed so... new. Elsa had lived through one Birdsong in Helovia, and most of it, well all of it, was spent living in the wretched cave system. So all these smells of new life, they were invigorating! Even as snow fell around her pallid body, everything else was alive with color. Edgar, who had been sitting quietly, now had his attention fully on the foliage. Flowers of every color were blooming in the underbrush of the trees. Some looked like plain flowers, and other looked exotic and unique. The bird, spotting a bright baby-blue flower hopped from Elsa's back to nip it, and bring it back to her. He nestled it between her ears and she smiled, at least now he was deciding to be a little more well behaved.

That was one the small creature spotted another pegasus wandering amongst the foliage. She almost blended in among the bright colors, her dark body matching the hue of some of the trees. The girl seemed to be lying down, exhaustion maybe? Elsa's steps were not quiet as she approached, but as soon as she could make out the flowers the pegasus was curled up next to, she cleared her throat. "Good day, miss." She said with a warm smile. This mysterious woman was a pegasus, and Elsa hoped that if for some reason she was chilled and cold, that she would show Elsa some warmth. "I wouldn't take refuge here, if I were you." She stated simply, flicking her tail to keep the snow falling all around her. It didn't stick to the ground, but the snow was much like a security blanket in new situations. "My name is Elsa, and this is Edgar." She finished softly, and Edgar flew from her head to land on the ground next to the mare. He chirped at her, wondering what she was doing here. Elsa wished she was as bold as he, maybe then she'd have a little more luck at bringing horses back to the Falls.

"Talking"
Elsa
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax
The short hours of rain and redemption was enough to rectify the Dragon's Throat of it's sin and wash it away into the sea surrounding the tropical desert. The air held a certain weight of the humidity and smuthered inhabitants with heat and gray clouds. It made breathing heavy for her compared to the last Birdsong. What relief she could find from it was that there was still cool temperatures in the north and in the sea, and her freedom from the nuisance of sunburn. Her champagne coat was much to be admired in it's antithesis of colours, soft honey shades fading into deep chocolate hues, but beauty was only colour-deep when your skin cannot take the elements.
Shade sighs over her slow pace, bored with the feminine sway of her hips that move instinctively as she walks. Dark spots are broken with the light of a glowing horn. Blue eyes drink in the possibilities and trademarks of nomads, feathers strung about the earth and hanging limply, overall lifelessly, dull without bodies to ignite them. Whispers linger in the trees and their holds, the bodies owning their sounds lost in the void. Three forms transform into presceptive when she enters the room, yet only one speaks. She holds her tongue and listens quietly to the white Pegasus speak, offering her ears into that direction.
Silence gathers up his belongings and leaves the show altogether.
"How are all of you?" The words send outwards to all of them, intending to be polite as possible in the presence of strangers even though she may know them. "I'm Sikeax, of the Dragon's Throat." While she'd rather not give away her name so quickly, the newcomers always wanted to know who you were, and the chances of bringing home a new family member when you have lacked a name lessens greatly.

OOC: Was attracted by Ernest Hemingway. Don't blame me. Blame the book which is one of my favourites shhhh

Would you like to be tagged?

"If you could hear me then, can you hear me now?"
In winter, some voices are like coats - Mosteghanemi
Image Credit
This beautiful table courtesy of the lovely Sevin

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Unregistered

l i r i e l ;

I’ve never been a fearful girl. Even after the invasion of my homeland I can’t help but find myself all too relaxed. I imagine my father, shaking his head in that woeful way of his. ‘You’ve got to be vigilant’ he’d say, but vigilance is hard for a girl whose mind never rests and whose focus is wholly consumed by a thousand things at once. Perhaps that’s why I don’t startle when the woman approaches me. She makes no effort to be stealthy and I make no effort to put myself in a defensible position. I watch her approach, intrigued by the way the sunlight shimmers off her body. She’s winter personified, a beautiful creature made of frost and ice. Her swollen sides don’t escape my notice and for a brief moment I wonder how soon it will be until her child arrives. Pregnancy astounds me because it is something I know so little of. Raised by a single father whose work rarely took us to the hospital or the nursery, I’d never been exposed to that aspect of life. Bringing my gaze back up to the mare’s face, I can’t tell if the child makes her excited or nervous or something else.

When she draws to a stop I rise from the moss. My muscles groan in protest but I find them suddenly easy to ignore. The woman before me represents a whole new world waiting to be explored and for the first time I notice the ice bird that’s accompanying her. He’s the most magnificent thing I’ve ever laid eyes on and suddenly I want to know everything about him, about what he is and how she came to know him. The stranger greets me with a smile and that simple gesture fills me with hope and I’m immediately smiling back, lit up like the ray of sun my dad always told me I was. ‘I wouldn’t take refuge here if I were you.’ I glance around, a furrow appearing between my eyes. The forest seemed peaceful enough and it had kept me safe through the night but I was curious as always to know what this mare knew. “Oh. I just got here. Well, I got here last night but I was so tired that I fell asleep right away. I don’t even really know where here is. Is it not safe?” Those gemstone eyes of mine go wide with wonder and I’m silently begging her to fill in the gaps because I simply must know.

Instead, she fills in another gap and her fantastic arctic bird – Edgar – ventures close. I lean down to investigate him, so completely consumed by his extravagance that I fail to notice the next mare until she’s settled in the sphere of our growing group. She looks young – younger than me – and in the place of wings she instead boasts a pale blue horn. “I’m a bit overwhelmed to be honest.” This world is so vibrant and teeming with things to be experienced that I suddenly feel very small. A brief pang of longing for Castres’s familiar shores and jungles tightens my chest but I will it away. A part of me deep in my bones knows I’ll never see the place of my birth again but I remind myself that soon this place will become just as familiar, just as much home. I just have to be willing to give it time. And so I turn my warm smile on both the mare with their beautiful features and lovely names and all their enviable knowledge of this exotic place. “I’m Liriel.”

------------------

a brief note: tagging is quite helpful, yes I would not mind if you tagged me ^^

@[Elsa] @[Sikeax]

She rises slowly from the ground, it is evident by the way she was lying that exhaustion must have consumed her. Very few who wander into this forest dub it safe enough to rest. Most are alert, some fearful, others oddly confident. Very few reacted as casually, and even less spill as much information as she did in the first few moments of the introduction. Elsa could only smile though, as this was refreshing from the usual brew that meandered on through here. She was beginning to think that her theory was correct; anyone who wanders in is sucked in for life. Very few, if anyone, she thinks, has left Helovia.

Elsa is even more impressed that this mare is actually taken a liking to Edgar. He, on the other hand, relishes in this attention. The small bird flew up to Elsa, landing just before her soft nose. If this had been any sooner, Elsa would've have flipped. Edgar's talons were painful at first, but now the pinch is a welcome one across her face. The little bird reaches out a little further, trying to gather even more of the mares attention. Elsa rolled her eyes, and shook her head a little. Thankfully, another mare had arrived to take the spotlight off of the cocky fowl.

Elsa turned to survey this young child. She was grown, but still lacking the full grown mare-esque build that many fillies grew into. She, Sikeax, looked like she was near that time, but had not quite blossomed yet. Elsa was quite impressed that the child was already coming to the Threshold, the Throat was lucky to have one so fervent to bring newcomers back.

This was no time to dwell on a taken filly, so Elsa turned back to Liriel who had now introduced herself. Elsa offered a little bow of approval, showing the newcomer that she meant all the respect in the world. Even if Elsa wanted to cause her harm, she was in no state to be doing so now. "Well, I still welcome you Liriel." The name rolls off her tongue odd, its a name she's never quite tasted before. It was pretty, but exotic. "The reason I urge you to stay alert is that you are in a new land, Helovia. It's filled with many a horse, both good, bad and those who live the fence and jump to the greener sides when need be." She said with a small smile, hidden behind it was a sense of fear. Her own eye was missing from living here. The left was a milky white, with not a single remnant of her pupil to be seen. It was an ungodly sight really, and one Elsa detested earnestly. This was no time to scare her, however."What you'll find within Helovia, is that it is a land of choices. The first is rather simple one, but means a lot for your future. The Threshold you are in is the gateway into the land of Helovia, and many herds come here to recruit - which I'm assuming both me and Sikeax are here to do." She smiled a little wider again, nodding towards the Throat member to give her the due respect she was owed. "Your first choice is to choose how you will live. Four herds reside within Helovia. I am from the Hidden Falls, a land as lush as this filled with majestic waterfalls. It's really true to its namesake. The other three herds are the Dragons Throat, which ill leave up to you-" She shot a glance towards the filly. "and the Worlds Edge. There is also the Basin, but you lack a horn so they will not accept you." She said with a frown. This was no time to diss herd lands, but the Basin held a special place in the pits of her heart. It was the only place she wished ill will upon with all of her heart. "So you can choose to go straight away to any of the herds, or you can live the life of an outcast. Either way you choose, the choice can be reversed." She finished, taking in a deep breath. She always felt that her conversations were long-winded, but it's better to get all the information out there then to let it sit stagnant and unknown.

"Talking"
@[Liriel] Sikeax Sorry this is so long, it kinda turned out a little bigger than I thought. Also I have no idea why its not tagging you dorado D;
Elsa

Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
Sikeax
Drawing out the stress and irritation of other beings, soothing thoughts attempt to reassure her that this is something she'll have to get used to, so that it may benefit her herd. Few arrived at the Dragon's Throat as she and her father had done so in the past, and the nomads, rookies to all of the illusions of safety, love, and joy of Helovia, were typically swooped up by the greed of herds and outcast bands. Elsa and her take part in the feast of Liriel today.
While words pour out of Elsa's mouth like a waterfall, she studies the bay with the shifting movements of her pale eyes, drinking in each detail. She could be useful to her home, if she wasn't harassed at the border by Gaucho as Scarecrow had been through. A certain part of her chest burns at that memory but can't reach the climax by the time silence has over taken the trio.
"As Elsa has already said, there is barely anything to trust in this place. There is different kinds of trust and what you think is safety is most likely a short lived illusion. It helps to take to the herds for greater real safety, since they tend to be spared within by their Patron god. The Dragon's Throat, where I'm from, is a close knit family and small, but many of the members know each other and get along well. It's a tropical desert, and if you'd like, you could follow me back to see."
She tries to be kind and helpful, without seeming too eager to snatch her up and steal her away. None of that was made to fit her mind, but there were others in the Throat that would of liked her to have done so. Kidnapping visitors on their first day is nothing on the 'good side' of what to do when you have newcomers.

@[liriel]

Image Credit

you were angels,

Unregistered

l i r i e l ;

I’m enchanted by Edgar the ice bird. He flutters and preens under my gaze, chirping prettily as he settles back on Elsa. Their bond delights and intrigues me. In Castres, the Equine inhabitants lived in harmony with the rest of the fauna, but I’d never seen such a specialized companionship as the one before me now. I wondered quietly if such an occurrence was common, so I added it to my rapidly-growing list of questions to ask when given the chance. For now, however, Elsa and Sikeax were busy answering my most burning inquiry: where was I?

The name of the land was Helovia and the forest that had housed me for the night was the Threshold. Elsa speaks of Helovia’s inhabitants – some with good intentions and some with bad. I think of my home and of the violence of the invasion that had forced me out of it. In all my youth I’d studied history – stories full of war and betrayal and of a cyclic struggle for power – and yet I’d been so sheltered. Castres had been a safe land; until the invasion, I’d never given much thought to those whose intentions were ill. I suppose it’d be childish of me to expect Helovia to be devoid of the same problems that plagued even my seemingly perfect homeland. I appreciate the caution bestowed upon me by the two mares, but it does little to curb my enthusiasm. If anything, my excitement grows exponentially when they talk about choices and about their homes. Helovia is a place full of rich wonder and places with beautiful names that tease my imagination. Hidden Falls, Dragon’s Throat, World’s Edge. I want to see everything.

“These places sound incredible. There’s so much here that we didn’t have where I’m from. I want to see it all – know it all.” I look between them, my gaze shifting rapidly; I can’t control this eagerness that’s overcome me. I’ve forgotten the ache of fatigue weighing down my wings and cementing my legs to the ground; with this newfound wanderlust I’m as light as air and fully energized. And then Sikeax reminds me that Helovia’s more than just a place to explore. I’m here now, for good. I have to make it my home. The little horned mare invites me back to her desert oasis and it’s a tempting offer but I can hear my father in my mind reminding me not to jump the gun – this choice is important.

“Could you both tell me a bit more about your homes? What are they like – what will I do if I live there?” I’d fled Castres before I’d really been able to choose a role in society. All I knew was the life of a scholar – my father had kept knowledge on various things from history to health and so I’d dabbled in diverse pools of knowledge but I’d never been able to choose just one to devote my life to. And of course even if I made a choice, I didn’t want to be entrapped. This world was calling to me, begging me to see it and learn it. “No matter where I choose to live, I can still visit the other lands, right? Or are their rules?” I recall what Elsa mentioned about the fourth herd, one that only accepted unicorns. I wonder if the other herds will bind me. Castres had rules, too, of course – places you couldn’t go unless you were a certain someone or escorted by a certain someone – but the majority of the nation was free to roam. I can’t imagine that freedom being taken away.

------------------

a brief note: my username is in all lowercase - 'liriel'. it doesn't seem to show up that way on the board, but perhaps that's why it wouldn't let you tag me, Klare?

@[Elsa] @[Sikeax]

Elsa shifts her weight as she finishes speaking, she was becoming increasingly uncomfortable with all the standing. Her mind pushed it out of the way, complaining would get her nowhere. So she focused on what the Throats girl was saying, her words were much shorter. However, they held something that Elsa rarely ever saw within the Threshold. She was actually speaking of the truth. So hard was it to find a recruiter who cared more about the actual horse than themselves. Sikeax seemed to be that rare jewel, and it was refreshing. Even a small smile settled across her face as she finished.

When the attention was back on Liriel, she still seemed curious and eager to learn. Such is the ways of the Threshold; you've either got the loners, the ones who jump into your arms without question, and the ones who want to know everything. Of the three choices, Elsa much preferred the curious. That way she at least stood a chance and could explain herself. So when Liriel asked of the herds, what they were like and what they did, Elsa was more than ready to speak. Edgar, who was curled up between her ears even squeaked in laughter. His bonded was always so ready to brag, that it should be her job. She rolled her eyes and turned her attention to Liriel. "The Falls, as I have said before is beautiful. A land of lush foliage and water, its beautiful no matter the season." She paused for a moment, trying to think of how to word it. Sometimes the place was just so... indescribable. "Even in winter when the falls and ponds freeze over, its like they are captured in a beautiful moment of time. They even seem to light up the area with their glittering." Elsa finished. That was all she could think though, in order to really understand, Liriel needed to see it. Such were the woes of trying to entice anyone. How can she entice when she can't even describe where she wants to take them? So the next question was a much easier one to answer. It was about what her purpose would be. "If you so choose to go to the Falls, you'll have to pick a track of work rather quickly. That way, you can meet the expert in your field. It can be as a medic, crafter, seer, warrior or sleuth. Don't worry if you don't think you'll be good at any of them, you can take time to learn or switch jobs if you feel like you'd be better in another." She finished quietly. The Falls was regimented, but once you fit into the clockwork, it worked like a charm. It just takes a little effort to get there, and soon enough, its like they've been there forever.

"Talking"
@[liriel] @[Sikeax] didn't even think of that, should work now. :)
Elsa

Sikeax
Ever patient, her tongue rests with smooth silence as the duo spark their conversations. Words are not her virtue, acting more as a vice. If you had met the champagne in the past while the blissful acts of youth was still heavily embedded in her soul, then maybe she would of been more willing to leap to conversations. Back then, she liked to talk instead of seeing as something that had to be done from time to time but was never required.
Liriel was lovely in the terms of personality. The immediate and constant need for language was less to be desired, but there were points to everyone that others loved and hated. Sikeax simply stood back and accepted what she had recieved. Everyone was different and all are naive in some form.
Elsa's words of the Falls brings back memories of cold. Snow, ice, freezing air that stabs into your skin while you are still damp from your birth. A shiver ignites her nerves and she sighs, closing her eyes at the thought. Had the Foothills really changed that much since her arrival?
It's her turn to speak and she scolds herself at the lingering pause when she had entangled herself with memories that were too far blurred.
"The Dragon's Throat is mainly Pegasi: they've ruled and dominated from the young age that I arrived at the borders, and I doubt any change would come to that. You'd fit in well.
"Gaucho is the current leader and powerful while imtimidating. He's one to grow on but nonetheless a good man and strong ruler.
"As said before, the Throat itself is a desert, an oasis as the center of life and surrounded by ocean on all sides but the land bridge that connects it. Frostfall is mild and barely a change from Orangemoon other than the lack of rain, which returns in Birdsong. Tallsun happens to be harsh but the herd has ways of coping with it."
Her words temporarily draw to a close, allowing time for the mare to process it and mentally prepare themselves for the next wave.
"Once within the herd, there is many things to be offered. An academy has been set up where the herd takes students under our wings and allows stay within our home so that they may further their intelligence, gain battle skills, or learn more as of magic. We are very warrior centered under Gaucho, but Sohalia, the other lead, works for the Academy.
"I myself, am a healer."
As if to add emphasis and entice her crowd more, Sikeax brings forth a small show of a white flame, blown from her lips before it dissappates to the sunlight. A smile creeps across her face though she is none to do so, hoping maybe if Hector had been there that it would of brought a chuckle to the giant's maw.
The last question brings her to blink at the mare and chew the thought about her mind for a while. Had she meant going to see what the other herds were like and possibly join, or trespassing?
"You mustn't ever trespass into the homes of other herds, whether they are allies or not. No one is friendly at a stranger inside their home, but if you ever choose to visit a herd land, someone is likely to greet you at the border if you stay on your respective side. If you choose to live there or are invited within by a herd member, then you could enter. You can do as you please in your personal herd land." So much chatter leaves her winded, throat gathering air with greedy fingers because she's not one to bellow her voice outwards to Gods when she could be quiet and out from trouble.

@[liriel]

Image Credit

you were angels,

Unregistered

l i r i e l ;

Images of lush forests and desert oases dance in my mind. I’m lulled by the idea of this place, Helovia. It shocks me to think of it as home, the place is still so foreign beneath my hooves and the pine-laced air smells different than the earthy, humid jungles I once called home. And yet as much as it knocks me into dismayed nostalgia, it also makes me feel so so alive.

As I look between the mares, I consider them and their offers. Helovia is different than Castres. We didn’t have herds, just a centralized group where everyone lived under the same hierarchy and the only choice we had to make was what role we wanted to play. It makes me nervous to take the leap into one herd or the other, perhaps only slightly because I worry about hurting the feelings of one of these kind hosts that I’ve only just met. I suppose there’s a third option; Elsa mentioned that I could live on my own, outside the four herdlands. Both the other Pegasus and the unicorn advised me against that and although it seems to offer the most freedom, I can’t imagine the solitude that must come with it.

I’m further intrigued by the roles the mares describe to me. Sikeax is a healer and I find myself fully interested by the idea of helping and healing others. I can’t help but think my father would be proud of me for making that choice and the idea of his approval makes my heart soar. The question, then, is who should I heal for. The two lands sound inviting and I can imagine already the mist clinging to the forests of the Hidden Falls and the sun glimmering off the oasis pool in Dragon’s Throat. It dawns on me just how much I miss my home already – separated from it by only a few days but by the knowledge that that gap will continue to grow, a wound that will never heal. I am at home amidst the trees and although Elsa’s Hidden Falls are far from Castres I feel a hint of familiarity blooming inside of me at the idea of them.

“I think I will follow Elsa to Hidden Falls. The forests and the falls remind me of home; I think I will like it there.” I pause, glancing at the young Sikeax and smiling gently at her. “Your home sounds equally as lovely and I would be honored to see it sometime. I do hope we cross paths again?” My tone is hopeful and slightly pleading for her not to be disappointed or mad that I’ve chosen against her oasis. I turn back to Elsa and her fantastic little ice bird. “I am greatly excited to see this wondrous place you’ve described – and I think that I’d enjoy the life of a medic, as you’ve called them.”

------------------

a brief note: merry christmas to you both! and forgive my new-ness, but how do we go about the next step in liriel's joining - should i make a thread in hidden falls?

@[Elsa] @[Sikeax]