the Rift

ii. emerge a majesty

Kirottu Posts: 40
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Youmna :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Lamplight Whit
Kirottu
It was dusk. The stallion knew. He always knew. Something within him, call it a gift, if you will, always informed him of when the glorious sun was going down... and when it was rising again. Hatred for the Sun stemmed from what the stallion felt was an unjust curse placed upon him, for with the Sun's appearance in the sky his own appearance shifted into something... unsavoury.

But now? The Sun's radiant edge had just dropped below the horizon. Twilight ruled the realm, and the stallion felt alive again. Breaths rolled in and out of his muzzle with ease, no rasping nor effort was required as in his other form. His long, leonine tail lashed about his magnificently muscled haunches with pride. His thickly set nape curved majestically, his chiselled crown held with all the royal pride and beauty that came naturally to him in this form. Cloven hooves took definitive, purposeful steps across the frozen loam, his warm skin relishing the cool, snowy breeze.

The stallion picked up a long-strided, elegant trot now, always in the first minutes of his change could he never deny the urge to run, jump, leap!, to use his body's full potential. Being stuck in a cripple's rickety old frame all day, every day made one appreciate just how wonderful freedom of movement was.

But it was short lived. The stallion's old habit of brooding over himself and his wretched curse constantly soon resurfaced. He settled his steps before a small pond, dipping the tip of his cloven hoof into the water to watch the ripples expand away from it. As the crystalline surface smoothed out once more, his deep, violet eyes sought out his brilliant appearance. A smug smile tugging at his lips as he absorbed all that was, well, himself. He tilts his crown to watch the shimmering cascade of tendrils fall about his nape, laughing quietly at the sheer brilliance that was reflected at him.

Even with being turned into a monster during the day, the curse was not so cruel, for it still allowed him to spend some time in his true form, this beautiful body of youthful exuberance and splendour. The curse did not have the victory over him.. and still he did not have victory over it. He was stuck in a stalemate, one he had little clue how to get through. He shakes himself, ridding his pearlescent coat of any residual dust and dirt, before peering out over the lands of permafrost, his tall frame easily giving him clear views of what may come.

[ For Rishima ]

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

Rishima</style>
the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell.</style>

We are playing a game. I call it hide because when we play, I hide something and she has to find it. She calls it bring that back! because she does not understand, yet, that she has to actually look, but she's learning. When I do not bring it back and play her boring game, she always winds up playing mine instead. Sometimes she takes away the shiny things that I like to play with, and sometimes I lose them because neither of us can find them because I am that good, but I have figured out a way around these problems. I can just hide myself.

How she managed to escape me again was a mystery for the ages, a puzzle that wiser minds than my own would have to pursue and solve. Kali's entire nature was something far beyond my comprehension; even my brief look into her soul had yielded no answers, only a confusing mess of joyful noise and curious imagination, zealous over protectiveness and a simple affection for all things shiny. And while I could see the bonds that made her, the motivations and circumstances that led each decision of her life to some ultimate result, and the tight weave of her very essence against mine, I still could not for the life of me understand why she insisted on stealing my amulet and hiding it in the snow. It delighted her so thoroughly, to watch me fumble through stream and around boulder, desperately attempting to find my lost possessions, and while I could not deny her many things for long, I had for the moment grown tired of her antics. The amulet hung about my neck, and there it would remain, at least for the time being. The gems were all lost; the stones forgotten. I sighed a deep breath of relief, slapping an itch with long cords even as my tender bite tore into the weedy winter growth. Night time was falling, and with it a deep, comfortable quiet. In fact, it had been a long time since I had experienced quiet this pure.

Inky skull snapped up, black eyes widening as the sickening realization sank in against the silence of the falling dusk. Where was Kali?

It is taking her a long time to find me, and I am growing bored with my waiting. I roll in the snow, playing with my burned tail; it hurts to touch but it looks very pretty, with a little bit of shiny metal on the tip that catches the falling light. She tells me it looks sophisticated, even though she does not like the gold on her own legs, I think; she tells me that it makes her look ridiculous, even though I think it wonderful. I do not understand how I can be sophisticated if she is not when we have the same markings, and I think she is just sad because it reminds her of the bad fire god. I do not like the bad fire god; I hope that next time I see him, I am strong enough to roar in his face, like Akaith did. Akaith is gold, just like my tail now, and I hope I can show her soon, because I want her to call me sophisticated, too.

I have been waiting for an eternity, I think, and now I am tired of sitting behind this rock; I poke my head above it, peering through the snow. I wonder if she will
ever come, or if she has forgotten me already. I crawl further out of the burrow I have made, moving to perch on top of the rock. I want to yell for her, but that will ruin the game. Instead, I wait for her, staring out across the tundra in the direction I think I came from. It looks like someone is coming from there, and so I think for a minute that it must be her, so I hide again, trying not to chatter happily. But it is not her, because it doesn't smell her or feel her. I lift my head out again, and shiver as the wind blows through my feathers. It will take much preening to clean myself after this. I crawl around the rock, very stealthy and silent – she would be proud of me and my ability to sneak around. I am learning to pounce on birds, and she says I look very skilled. Birds are tasty. But this is not a bird, it is a silver horse. I sneak towards him, being careful to press my body low against the ground, wings folded, creeping up from his right side. I wonder what he is staring at, and so I chirp curiously, staring upwards at his pretty head, wondering if he is made of metal like my tail. She would be mad at me for not being careful, probably. But I can take care of myself; and if she isn't going to come find me, I'll have to.

“Kali!” I cried into the wind, and the wind snatched the words away, rendering them unintelligible and vacant. I gazed into the growing dark, desperately seeking some indication of my impossible companion's presence, but the tundra betrays nothing. The wind, though, as if to apologize for stealing my voice, offers a familiar scent, the musky aroma of feathers lightly dancing upon it, accompanied by a heady stench of stallion. Fuck, I thought, setting off in the direction of the breeze, ears pinned back and eyes wrinkled in concern and annoyance. The idea of Kali alone and at the mercy of a stranger terrified me more than I would have liked to admit, and the sooner I found her, the better. I pressed on through the frozen waste, a black form accented with white and framed by a dusting of odd, golden markings. All in all I must have been an odd sight, but I did not care at the moment. Against the waning dusk, the silhouette of a unicorn had risen into view; I followed the sight, hoping desperately that the beast was a friendly one, and had seen my wayward companion.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>

Kirottu Posts: 40
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Youmna :: Royal Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Lamplight Whit
Kirottu

Violet eyes soon swivelled back to stare into themselves, their sharp, piercing depths swaying in the subtle waves of the surface of the water. His eyes were all that he clung onto during the transformation, but even as he stared into them now, they looked older, weary and tired, compared to the youthful excellence that was his body. During the day, his eyes looked youthful, vibrant, compared to the rotting corpse that encased them. He sighed, resigned once again, to his fate. Though his eyes were clear and beautiful, they were blind to a solution - even when it came tumbling down at his feet with feathers, fur, a beak and a handful of talons.

Svelte ears swivelled sharply towards the young griffon, eyes refocussing with some hint of alarm as the prey response within him fought with curiosity. The latter won the battle, and a simple snort erupted his pewter nostrils, a chiselled brow raising as he observed the little bundle for a moment. He weighed up his options - she was too young now to pose harm to himself, should he slay her before she had a chance to grow fat on others of his kind, and threaten him later? Or would she remember his decent deed in letting her live now and perhaps spare him in the future? I think it would be foolish to allow it to live.. Surely it would be better to execute it now.. Unless..

Attentions were raised, once again, his form fidgeted in contained flight, as the arrival of another jolted his focus away from the small thing. He took a step back, snorting again, even posing his horn before him slightly menacing, expecting the mother gryphon to come and strike at him for being too near to her young kin. But it was not a mother gryphon that was approaching, no, it was a mare. His muscles slackened their hold upon his skeleton for a breath, though he wondered at what she was calling out. Such a concept as companions was unknown to the stallion, and he was unlikely to ever learn, self-absorbed that he was, there was little hope that his soul would even be able to create such a bond.

He looked to the small creature once more, wondering at the look of recognition it gave to its name. "Kali?" He said incredulously, before amusement curved his lips into a smile, his swift mind piecing together the happenings. The little cat-bird was a pet, perhaps a pet to some kind of royalty, and this had been sent to retrieve it? It didn't sound entirely correct - he tried to remember the faces of those who had met him in the Threshold of this land only a season ago, and he recalled the winged one possessing a similar connection with a small songbird - perhaps such a curious thing could exist in other creatures? Thrice he snorted, chuckling to himself, thinking himself quite the genius at having pieced together this little titbit without being told.

"You needn't worry, she seems safe." Suave tones resonated from his maw, a kindly smile upon his lips. He did not have to worry about how his form would be perceived in this body, the night time was his comfort zone, he arched his nape and took back those steps he had lost prior to surprise. He looked upon this mare, wondering at the way the moonlight played upon her hide, also delightfully absorbing the vibrant metallic hues of gold that tickled her tail and mane. She was unique, and beautiful in her distinctiveness. He nodded to himself, approving of her, silently allowing himself to consort with her. She did not seem to be a trickster hidden beneath a veil of ugly out to curse him again.

"I am Kirottu, ma'am." Deep tones vibrated from his maw, horn tilting as his crown descended cordially to the charred mistress. Ears pressed forward, wondering, expecting similar, if not better, treatment in return.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks

Rishima</style>
the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell.</style>

The silver tom-horse does not seem to be very interested in what he was staring at, because now he's staring at me, and I purr at him, raising onto my haunches and unfurling my wings just a little bit. He is very pretty, and I wonder if he thinks I am, too? Because she says I am, and even though she's abandoned me here in the cold I think she is probably right. I wonder if maybe he will be my friend, and just as I am bracing to vocalize at him, I hear my name on the wind.

She's coming back for me!

The game is suddenly remembered, and I chirp urgently at him as he says what I am called, hopeful that he will help me hide and so play along. As I see her shadow growing near, I leap back behind my rock, curling up so she cannot see me and listening to see what the tom-horse will say.

His voice was smooth, authoritative, full of some confidence I felt no affinity for. All that mattered were the words that it formed. She was safe, my little demonic companion, and this unicorn seemed to bear her no ill will. Still I felt my pace lengthen as I neared the pair, a subconscious elongation of starlit strides beneath the bulk of midnight as I hasten myself towards gryphon and brute. Yea, sure enough, by the stallion's feet lies an abandoned white feather, and in my mind I can feel our bond growing strong once more. Relief floods me, not quite drowning the earlier irritation but smothering it, for now. Kali and I would be having a long talk about running off without telling each other first.

But that could wait. For now, I had a stallion to attend to. Tiredly I turned to him, wan amusement in my eyes, a rare flash of buoyant emotion on my face. “Rishima,” I replied, a faint nod accompanying the proffered title, gratitude

“Kali!”

[ working on it -.-]

“Kali!” I cried into the wind, and the wind snatched the words away, rendering them unintelligible and vacant.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>