Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born
</style>

Reluctance was not appropriate enough a word for the emotion Kaj was feeling. Resplendence had long since expressed her desire to learn the art of war, but Kaj had selfishly hoped that she would not approach him as her mentor. Though the two had grown apart due to life and love, Kaj still regarded the meek mare as something fragile and precious to him. Breakable, perhaps. Still, she had sought him of all others out, and he was helpless but to agree. Remembering Phaedra and the dagger Resplendence once carried with her (religiously, really, considering her paranoia) had been his breaking point. With a sigh as great as the northern winds, he had relented. It had led him to the sands of the arena, where he had faced Bronze not long before. Snorting, he recalled the sting of flesh on flesh, the turmoil of his own emotions. It had not been a very good night, in all.

The air is turbulent, tossing about his locks until they sting the flesh of his neck and hocks. Pale eyes squint against it, a frown drawing his brows closer. Not exactly amenable weather, but Resplendence would have to learn that battle did not always occur in favorable conditions. He could not coordinate their spar around the weather, after all. Snorting to himself, he shuddered against the brisk spring wind, wings drawing tighter reflexively. Lightly feathered legs kicked out against the sand, watching it spray with forced disinterest. Anything was better than the worry that gnawed at his insides, the anxiety that plagued him. What if he hurt her beyond the physical realm? What if he scared her, made her fear him permanently? Would her reactions follow her off the battlefield? Kaj was beyond reluctant, but he had already worn out that train of thought earlier.

Large body turned in a slow circle, surveying the arena he had previously fought in. The day was bleak and new, dawn forcing pastel colors onto the canvas of the sky. The beauty of the scenery did little to calm his palpitating heart, but at least it was a drastic change from his fight with Bronze. Kaj wanted no reminder of that fight to bleed into the one with Resplendence. His spar with Bronze had been more like catharsis, mindless rage and pain that had exploded out of him and onto the nearest target. Even the thought of treating Resplendence like that, of losing control like he had when Aurelia had challenged Kahlua, sent a shiver of dread down his spine. Closing his eyes, he sent a brief prayer to his patron Goddess, for control and patience. It was the best he could to.

Cold wind sharpened his mind, and the sting of his own tresses brought him to the present, the minor pain a promise of what was to come in far more serious measures. Kaj’s eyes opened, and he turned to the mouth of the arena, trying to still the queasy turn of his stomach as he awaited Resplendence.

Setting: Caela Insula, dawn, heavy turbulent winds. Lighting will improve throughout the spar as the sun rises further.

{503/800} && {0/3}

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

”Kaj. Train.” Valiance almost demanded. It seemed that as of late he had become far more persistent with the idea of Resplendence learning how to protect herself. She knew she needed to, that much was clear in her mind. After all, she was able to vividly recall the invasion and the wooden, make-shift dagger she had carried around for weeks – no, months – afterward. Still, he did not stop. His claws clinging to her locks and attempting to drag her forward, toward the center of the island. Really, the only achievement he had was in being a pest, but it worked and Resplendence finally gave into the pestering. ”Fine! I’ll learn, Valiance! I’ll go find Kaj.” she grumbled as Valiance swooped down, swishing her in the face with the length of his feathered tail. So, with a SNAP! of her teeth toward her nagging companion, she moved off toward the sands of the arena.

Alas, it was beyond windy today, and her long tresses were beginning to whip around, swirling around her frame in a manner which could only hinder her movements. The way it stung against her flesh made her wince. She was already feeling weak in comparison to who she was going to have to face. ”Val, can you braid my hair?” she inquired through the bond, and within seconds Valiance was at her side, pulling at thick sections of her mane and braiding it tightly in a french braid down her crest so that it would not have a chance to get in her way. Then, once her mane was complete he moved to her tail, knotting it up so that it barely grazed across the ground, keeping it from snagging on any object and knocking her off of balance. ”Thank you,” she whispered to her companion before stepping into the sand covered ring.

Her eyes lifted upward, gold searching for his as he stood in the arena. His frame was large, powerful, and most definitely frightening. Oh, why did she do this to herself? Why did Valiance insist that she learn now? She knew that Valiance only wanted her to be able to defend herself and that he thought Kaj was a good person to begin with. He was like family to his bonded, so wouldn’t that mean he wouldn’t try to hurt her as badly? Wouldn’t that meant he would try and teach her while they sparred? However, Res didn’t seem to think the same thing as Valiance did. She may consider him a brother, but she was almost certain that he was very close to disowning her. After all, something had to have changed since they last had a chance to really talk. He and Kahlua had stripped her of her position as Moon Doctor and had yet to explain it to her spinning mind. Maybe he saw this as a chance to get rid of her, to push her away because he thought she was useless.

”Not useless” Valiance hissed, and it is with those words that Resplendence allowed all of her limbs to take their place in the arena, clearly facing the giant stag with her limbs trembling ever so slightly. ”I-I’m here…” she said, just loud enough to be heard over the turbulent winds that caused her eyes to sting and coat to be pressed against her skin. Valiance was the next to take his place, sitting atop her withers with his headdress feathers raised, wings fluffed, and tail swishing back and forth.

Valiance appeared to be ready, but Resplendence definitely wasn’t. She was already certain she appeared to be useless, for that had to be the reason her position was stripped from her. So, trying to steel herself for whatever was going to happen, she prayed that this would give her a chance to be useful again…

[636/800] && [0/3]

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

{the stormbringer}
battle born
</style>

Time slips by like an indolent clock, sluggish and hazed around him. Waiting had never been his strongest attribute, but it was relatively sturdy where it was built within the foundations of his personality. In time she came, skulking and reluctant as he had anticipated. The length of hours since they’d last interacted were too numerous to do anything but cause him to wince. To be fair, he had not intended to abandon her, believing her safe with his brother Quilyan. Only, Quilyan had disappeared as effectively as all the others Kaj had failed to save. The fear in her eyes was nearly the same as when he’d first discovered her, huddled and shivering beneath the borealis, completely alone. It was a far harsher spear to his heart than anything she could deem to land upon him during their spar. Weary as it was, his heart simply could not take the extra weight of failure, and his eyes blurred until his pupil was no longer in focus. Her words were just as distant, ringing dully in his ears. “There is no reason to fear me, Resplendence. I had hoped you would know that.” His voice is defeated, nothing like the royal lilt he often took on when outside the borders. Kaj is merely so weary. Eternally found wanting by the people he loved so dearly.

“Feel free not to pull your blows, aardbei. I shall. Tutoring is not simplistic when you’re actually fighting, but I will attempt.” Kaj desired the punishment of her hits, the reminder that he had failed her. Was he even a fitting teacher? Regardless, they both needed the experience. Focusing upon her form, he let his muscles warm by shifting uneasily in his stance, the pump of adrenaline starting in his veins. The prospect of battle was as effective a warmer as the sun, sometimes. “Brace, Resplendence. Think clear. I will begin now.” As his words faded he gave mere moments for it to register, and he lunged forth, trying to appear as small as possible for her sake. Not an effective thing in battle overall, but for the quiet mare akin to real family, he would do all he could to make the experience better for her. “Keep moving!” he shouted to her as his long legs ate up the ground towards her. Something his own mentor had told him in ages past, striking yet another pang of sadness into his heart. Yet, Maskan had also told him to never let his head cloud during battle, and he cast the thoughts away with a mental jolt of his shoulder.

Sand clung to his hooves, slowing his pace and forcing his legs to work harder. He had been in the middle of the arena, where the sand was thicker and deeper. Hopefully Resplendence would take advantage of her mild high ground, the firmer earth beneath her hooves. For once, Kaj desperately wanted to throw a fight; particularly, this fight.

With a glance towards Valiance, he found himself wishing for a companion of his own, one capable of braiding his own hair. It whipped against his neck, distorting his vision of the pale girl before him and stinging enough to force him into the mindset of battle. Surrounded by such familiar things, it was hard not to envision her as Bronze. Harder still not to feel the flare of anger and bloodlust that had accompanied his fight with the marked stallion.

Growing hopefully closer to Resplendence he aimed for her left shoulder with his own, tucking his wings tight to his sides in case the bashing was successful. Pulling his punches was difficult, even in a regular spar. She was far smaller than he, with far less experience. Even with her clearer vision, Kaj feared she would not take effective advantage of him. Kaj managed to restrain himself, throwing his larger body to the left and towards Resplendence’s left shoulder with only half his potential power. Sand sprayed up against his legs as he intentionally thrust his shoulder out at her, head ducked low and feathers tight. His vision was simultaneously concealed in a whirlwind of pale tresses, until Kaj was unsure whether he’d be able to see his hit possibly land or not.

As much as he wanted to hurt her, to get revenge for how much she had hurt him, it simply wasn’t possible. Resplendence wasn’t Bronze. Kaj had to remember that.

{737/800} && {1/4}

@[Resplendence]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

His words stung. There was nothing to give her a reason to fear him, true, but there were plenty of reasons to fear an injury that she would be unable to heal. Valiance offered a small coo of support to the broken mare as she allowed the words to spill from her lips. ”I don’t fear you, Kaj. I fear one of you breaking and me not being able to help because I’m useless, she explained as she tried to steady herself in place. The fact that he still thought, after all this time, that she would be so afraid of him – it was like a punch to the gut. He said not to worry about pulling her blows (whatever that meant), that he would instead. She could only assume that he meant he would worry about not actually hitting her as hard. She supposed she didn’t really care, though. Even if he didn’t try to keep her safe, she deserved to be as broken as she felt.

”You got me through the invasion, it was you that helped me in that fight. I don’t doubt you’ll do it again.” she said, doing her best to try and make Kaj feel better about this entire thing. ”Besides, Kaj. I deserve the pain. I deserve it if I’m really this useless to all of you.” It hurt her soul, and it froze her on the inside. It had made her immobile for so long that she needed to be forced to come back to the real world. She needed to be forced to live, or she wouldn’t be willing to fight any longer. She needed the pain, and the actual process of fighting to make herself move and get back up. She needed something other than Valiance in her ear to pull her out of this entire mess.

So, as Kaj shifted in place Valiance spoke, ”Not useless. Res be fixed.” Yea. If only she actually believed that. She shuffled her limbs, head dropping a little as she attempted to find a way to keep the wind out of her eyes. Brace herself? Brace herself for what? ”Coming!” Valiance alerted Resplendence, lurching off of her back and into the air so she didn’t have to be concerned about knocking him to the ground and accidentally trampling her companion (not that he’d ever let that happen). However, it was only Kaj’s command to keep moving that forced her to unlock her limbs and allow her frame to move. It was like an electric shock to her brain, how the sudden movement reminded her so much of the attempts to avoid attacks during the invasion.

She moved, her limbs kicking up the sand as they fought for the perfect grip in the somewhat firmer earth (at least compared to the billows of sand that came from Kaj’s hooves). It was a slow movement at first because her mind was spinning wondering why she had started this. She wasn’t sure she was meant for this. She shouldn’t have done this. She shouldn’t have said she needed to learn. Why would she have fought anyways? She would have run away. She wouldn’t have fought unless she wanted to die.

”Not die. Live.” Valiance nearly screams at her as the hooves pound in closer and closer. Kaj's large frame ate up the ground as if it were starving, not offering much time for her to truly think about the matter at hand. Her body careened to the right as golden eyes took in his tucked wings. ”Not die. FIGHT!” Valiance continued to scream, insistent that she find the will to care about herself – to stop thinking that she deserved to be beaten, bruised, battered, and buried in the ground.

Kaj’s head was low as she turned her haunches toward him, feeling his weight crash into the left side of her barrel as she turns. Res gasps for air as she kicks out with both of her hind legs, hoping that they would make contact with his left side with her feeble footing. Then, unable to keep herself balanced on her forelimbs, she was forced to land once more. Her body lurching forward uncertainly as almost trips, stumbling forward a few steps and just barely keeping her balance. It is at the same time that all four hooves land that Valiance swoops back to try and circle around Kaj’s face – an attempt to distract him from going toward Res as she attempted to recover. ”You be strong,” Valiance reminded Res as she winced, having twisted her hoof a tad – not enough to sprain or break, just enough to feel the spark of pain. Enough, at least, to force Res to think.

Now, finally ready for pain, she turned to face Kaj – only adrenaline keeping her moving.

[800/800] && [1/3]

*Note, this is only a three-attack spar. Brit had a typo - just wanted to clarify for when people rolled and were like "uhhhhh" XD
and urmagawd. Depressed Res ;-; @[Kaj]

When I'm ready to fall
With love

{the stormbringer}
battle born
</style>

Kaj did not often lose his temper. Rather, he exploded in rage – the cathartic, protective response seeming to make up for his eternally peaceful attitude. Still, he was a mortal, with limits even to his own patience. He’d waded through the brindled maiden’s self-despair since he’d first met her, but her words cause something old and weary inside him to snap. Even her attempt at reminding him of the invasion did nothing to quell the sudden exasperation he felt. “Just stop, Resplendence! You’re not useless! Damn it!” he growled, the bellow of his voice anguished and frustrated. He hated her sometimes, and it wore and grated on his equal love for her. He wanted to shake her until she stopped being so flimsy, so boneless, because he could not continuously prop her up. He didn’t want her to fall apart when he couldn’t be there for her. It was somewhat selfless, in that aspect.

Her silence gave him peace, solidarity against the buffeting force of her self-deprecation. It numbed him until all he felt was the solid whip of his hair against his neck as he ran for her, chasing his own words of warning. She came to life as if electrocuted, scrabbling away from him, but with a certain hesitation that seemed to clasp her in one general area. Kaj grit his teeth, peering at her form through a curtain of writhing hair. She’s nothing like his past opponents; frail where they stood mountainous, tentative beneath the bluster of their force. He doesn’t know how to fight her, how to handle her. His entire approach to fighting has been turned on its head, and he fears that will lead to his ultimate, humiliating defeat. Kaj would rather duel with Maskan and Bronze at once than force himself out of his comfort zone into an arena that required restraint rather than ferocity, delicacy over severity.

She seems all the more like a china doll as he bears down on her, small and breakable. It helps him pull his punches, slow the throw of his shoulder towards her. Even so, he cannot help but wince as their bodies connect. Discordant, jarring, it is sure to be sore by the time they limp off the sands. She careened away to his left, moving with the force through instinct rather than honed experience. He fights to find his own balance, in turn. Left foreleg shot out to catch himself, and so preoccupied with reestablishing his center of gravity he nearly misses the sudden swing of her hindquarters. It is the sand that draws his attention, stinging his face from where she had kicked it up in her movements, causing him to squint his eyes against the onslaught. The blur of color forces him to act, as he sees her kick out at him.

Momentum dictated he keep moving to the left, swing with his body and chase after her on steady ground. Instead, the left leg he’d just thrust out to catch himself was planted more firmly, halting that process entirely. Kaj threw his head high simultaneously, keeping his delicately boned muzzle out of range and jerking it to the right against his momentum to efficiently halt his own body. Kaj internally cursed as he then tried to belatedly throw himself to the right and away from her attack. But she was quick and limber where he was slow and stocky, and he tensed the muscles in his legs and shoulders for the blow he knew would land. Rounded hooves slammed into the curve of his left shoulder, where his breast and shoulder were united. It was solid enough with their combined movement to leave him momentarily winded, a small laceration opening up beneath the force and sluggishly beginning to drip blood. Her hoof slid past and off his body in moments, leaving behind the sting and smart of a well-place blow. Surprised pride bloomed inside his breast. It may have been instinct to lash out, but his muscles protested and blood had slowly begun to stain his hide. She had done well.

Valiance swooped down from above, drawing his attention back from where he’d thrown his head high. Snorting, Kaj ducked it once again. He hadn’t fought with a flying companion, but he didn’t want to expose his face too much. He used the strength of his hindquarters to renew his momentum, swinging back to the left only to find Resplendence turning to face him already. Deciding to use his superior height against her, Kaj reared up and kicked forward, lunging for her. Massive hooves poised for her already injured left side, seeking to rake down the length of her left leg. Perhaps immobilize a joint and ensure moving in the sand would be even harder, slow her faster frame for him.

{800/800} && {2/3}

@[Resplendence]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

It’s a cycle – a horrible cycle. You see, one moment she thinks that she is getting stronger, that she is learning how to stand on her own, and the next she feels like a single blow from the wind would knock her over and break what little composure she still possessed. But it was his voice that was the wind this time. It was his voice that broke her where she stood. Hah! She wasn’t useless. At least, that’s what Kaj claimed as he growled in frustration. Res didn’t think she was useless though! No, the thoughts were that everyone else saw her as useless, had made her useless by stripping her of being a Moon Doctor. It was that which had made her useless – had stolen the only purpose she had ever been able to find.

In fact, it was these thoughts which caused a seething fire to course through her veins. So the fire built; it built as Res tried to avoid the hit, it built as she kicked out, and it erupted as Valiance attempted to distract Kaj. It was a fire similar to the kind that was ignited through Valiance’s veins – the kind that singed hair on Atlas because of a miniscule nickname. It was a disdain for being misunderstood and she was finally gathering the courage to scream (though metaphorically at the moment) at the top of her lungs that they’re WRONG.

The jarring motion that radiated through her frame was how she felt the impact of her hooves against his flesh. She was not prepared for the unnerving feeling and her already unsteady limbs had her stumbling forward to keep the little balance she had. She did not know where Kaj was, nor his movements – she could only hear the sound of his frame as he centered himself (so she assumed). They seemed to have the same idea, though, as they both turned to face each other. Her rage escalated as Valiance lifted higher into the sky and away from Kaj’s dangerous limbs.

Kaj was closer to her than she had expected, having been unable to gain as much distance between the two of them as she had wanted during Valiance’s distraction. There was not time to dwell on this, though, because as Kaj lunged forward (his giant frame seeming to tower above her) she side-stepped to the right. Alas, her tiny frame didn’t allow her to move far enough to avoid the plate-sized hooves aimed for her left forelimb. Panic radiates in her eyes as she rocks backward, putting almost all of her balance onto her hindquarters and scrambling to get her forelimbs off the ground. Yet, not in time, she is barely half-way up when his limb makes contact with her own. An ear-shattering scream erupts from her maw as his hoof scrapes from the middle of her forearm down to her pastern. A barely audible CRACK! sounds underneath her scream and she can only drop her weight onto her front right and turn her haunches away to keep herself from being knocked over. It is only when she places her left fore down that she feels the shooting pain through her limb, into her shoulder.

Now wasn’t the time for tears. They had helped once, but she doubted they could help her again. No. She wouldn’t allow herself to cry. She wouldn’t allow for there to be tears, not when she knew that she needed to be able to see clearly. She could feel the heat of Kaj’s flesh, how close his lunging frame was (and how she just barely scraped by getting knocked over), but she could also feel the anger pooling up inside Valiance as he began to dive down. ”Away. Burn.” he commanded through the bond, headdress spread and draconic tail flicking back and forth in a fit of rage. How dare Kaj cause this much pain! Bruises, knocking her over, maybe even a few shallow cuts were fine. But fracturing her bone – that was not okay!

She stumbled, turning to face Kaj’s left side perpendicularly as Valiance came down upon Kaj’s right. It felt like years as she watched the fire spout from Valiance’s lips and toward where Kaj’s right side of his face had been during Valiance’s descent from the sky. Flames desperately tried to cling to Kaj’s flesh near his poll and ears, licking downward in an attempt to scar his forehead as well, should they have hit their appropriate mark. At the same time Res rocked back onto her haunches, coiling all of her power into a rear (an attempt to take pressure off of her swelling fetlock), and struck out, teeth bared to connect with his withers and break flesh. I’m not useless! Why do you think that?! she thought, beyond hurt. WHY?!

[800/800] && [2/3]
@[Kaj]

When I'm ready to fall
With love

{the stormbringer}
battle born
</style>

Fire built inside them, counterpoint. They raged at one another like typhoons, like clashing rams, until their teeth rattled and their heads ached. For so long Resplendence had always folded, crumpled, beneath the weight of those pushing against her. It was exhilarating for her coals to come alight, lashing back. Maybe she could defend herself, should the time ever come where it was necessary. Maybe he could stop worrying so much about her. She was finally growing strong, and it was invigorating for the beast that opposed her. Renewed, he charged for her once more.

Like a carousel off her axis she careened away from him with the force of his blow. She seemed so lost, too small with her tied up hair. For a moment he hesitated, fear thick in his gut. Had he hurt her? Oh gods, had she popped a knee joint, or worse? Kaj’s world dimmed into a tiny speck of anxiety, only for it to snap apart with relief as her agile limbs tore into the sand to face him properly. His relief couldn’t halt his planned attacks; if he stopped then, the spar wouldn’t continue. So he lunged for her, feeling as if he was watching her shrink beneath the growing shadow his massive body cast upon her, the rising sun at his back. Hair whipped and stung at his eyes until they watered, but Kaj dare not look away. He couldn’t afford to have his hit land where he hadn’t intended, to hurt her beyond the realm of a spar. She rocked backward, too slow even for her faster frame. He felt fear shoot through him, wanted to stop time and scream at her. Don’t rise up against me! I’m too big, you have no momentum, I’ll bowl you over! Never put yourself in a position to fall! But he, too, cannot stop the process he’d started.

Massive hooves crashed down upon her leg. A familiar sting and jolt reverberated through his forelegs, but overshadowing all of it is her sudden scream. It shattered in his ears like precious china, and his head jerked awkwardly away even as his body fell forward and down towards her. Ever closer to the scream that seemed to rake through his mind; it seemed to reverberate in his head, forcing down every barrier he’d erected to keep from going too easy on her. It invaded him like a horn to the side, piercing and burning until his head felt full and hot. Kaj’s emotions were too tangled to discern in that long, suspended moment. Shame, despair, worry. His hooves touched down on earth once more, steadfastly ignoring the dull soreness of a hit, the lingering ache of his breast and left shoulder. Kaj relied on his weight and mass to shred his momentum, anything to get away from that awful sound, the guilt that hounded him from within its resonance. Lurching away from her, he scrambled in the thick sand, wings flared for balance. Even through the sting of his forelock on his eyes, he couldn’t help but stare wide-eyed at Resplendence. Unprofessional, surely, but Kaj loved Resplendence. His reactions were indisputably justified.

A dark form swept over him, and instinct kicked in before he could figure out just how badly Resplendence was hurt. Kaj lunged to the left, lofty wings snapping down to protect them. Sand was sprayed up in a maelstrom as massive legs kicked to get him farther from the threat, stinging his belly. Fire coursed towards his face, but the buffeting from his wings slowed it enough for Kaj’s desperate side-lunge to get him mostly out of the way. Eyes clenching shut to protect him from potentially being blinded, Kaj fell with the momentum. His hindquarters were already ducked low from throwing himself to the side, and he landed deep, head bowed and neck stretching towards the earth and away from the flames. A deep ache resonated through the left side of his breast from Resplendence’s prior attack, but he grit his teeth against the pain, hoping his leg would hold out on him. Kaj would rather have the seizing muscles than a face full of fire. Hoping to defend himself, electricity surged to his skin, sky rumbling and bolts jumping wildly in the turbulent air. Hopefully it would deter Valiance from attempting a physical attack, though the bolts were wild. A cinder caught on the fringe of his mane, searing it like dry paper up towards the crest of his neck. Panicking, Kaj lifted the carpometacarpus of his wing to try and scrub it out. Tiny cinders peppered hot and painful along the arch of his muscled crest, and by the time he’d put out the not-fire that burned away at his mane, he was left with a rather thick mohawk. Shit.

{800/800} && {3/3}

@[Resplendence]

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Resplendence

It was like a game with death, and she was exhilarated. She may be in pain, she may not be sure that she would really be able to walk after this, but she didn’t care. At least she could feel something other than sadness, loneliness, worry. She screamed, unable to move her left limb out of the way in enough time to miss his attack. It was a different scream, though. It was more than just a scream of pain. You see it was also one of anger. Anger not only at herself (for being incapable of missing that attack) but at the world for not allowing her to receive this pain earlier.

Their eyes lock as Kaj flails, trying to figure out how to careen away from Resplendence, and all she can see is his wide-eyed panic. I’m fine! I’m fine! Please just keep going! She wanted to scream at him, but Valiance didn’t believe that she was fine, and so he dove from the sky and tried to burn the one whom he had trusted to teach Res without scarring her forever.

She lunges forward, trying to meet his flesh, but as he lunges away from Valiance he also lunges away from Resplendence. All she can do is miss her target., and only when she feels the hard CLACK of her own teeth hitting each other does she force her limbs to press into the ground and eyes to take in the firefight that was happening before her own eyes. Kaj just barely misses the blow that would have burned his face and it is only when electricity sparks from his own body and thunder rumbled through the air that Res gasps.

She shuffles backwards, away from her King – no, her brother - as his body sparks, causing his own mane to catch fire. ”Kaj!” she screeches, trying to figure out how to help him and no longer caring about the fact that she had to fight. It didn’t matter anymore, he was hurting and she was supposed to fix this. She stumbles backwards, struggling to figure out how to fix Kaj, only to have lightning strike the ground in front of her. It does not touch her, but it scares her – taking the breath from her lung as she rears up just a little too far. The deep sand moves out from under her, trapping her from her pastern down as she rocks backward. Her body goes too far and she can’t find the center of balance anymore. She topples over, crashing down upon her back with a loud THUD and gasps for air.

Instantly, she tries to force herself onto her stomach, to stand up. Her body heaves under the pressure, front legs aching while Valiance circles around again. ”Lightning. His fault. Pain. I will give pain.” he hisses, feeling the radiating pain through her frame. He doesn’t care about the electricity that was still sparking in the air, all he cared about was making Kaj feel the pain as well. So he sparked fire again, this time at his back – trying so desperately to send tendrils of fire down his spine and hurt him. He tried to do this as Res clambered back to her feet, knowing that her haunches and withers would be bruised from all of her weight collapsing upon itself. She winced, balancing on her right side, before continuing to move out of the area that she thought was infected by the lightning.

PAUSE. LIGHTNING! There is LIGHTNING!

She panics, eyes widening in shock as she realizes, begging Valiance to get out of the area. ”Valiance! Valiance get OUT OF THERE!” she tries to command as she favors her fractured left limb. Except he doesn’t leave. He continues to circle, still sending puffs of fire in Kaj’s direction with minimal aim other than for skin. He didn’t care if he singed off all of his mane and tail, he didn’t care if his entire body was burned. No. All Valiance cared about was that Kaj realized he was not supposed to have hurt Res in this entire endeavor. ”Not enough. Deserve hurt.” Valiance huffed through the bond before finally starting to listen to Res and taking his designated place atop her poll.

”I’m sorry!” She says, voice quick and uncertain. Valiance wasn’t supposed to be a part of this fight. Valiance wasn’t supposed to scar her own family over something meant to be training! ”I’m angry and he’s angry and he hasn’t learned self-control,” she pleaded, trying to find a way to explain the hatred that was circling through their bond like vultures ready to feast. It was eating her alive, infecting her companion, and she just wanted to fix it – even if it was by throwing punches…

Let her be strong…

[800/800] && [3/3]
@[Kaj] - omg good fight ;-;

When I'm ready to fall
With love

{the stormbringer}
battle born
</style>

It seemed he was not the only one with wide eyes after his hit landed, and he didn’t know who was more surprised, she or him. Though there were far more important things to consider, like, oh I don’t know, not getting his face melted off by an angry dragon. It certainly made one appreciate the span of one's life, getting a nice morning shower of fire and death. Whatever lunge she made for him went unnoticed, his head ducked away from the scorching flame as it was. But his name comes through loud and clear, a screech of panic that clearly communicated to Kaj that she was not the one in control of Valiance’s attacks any longer. That means this is serious, he told himself grimly. Changing from spar mode to survival mode was far easier than he could ever truly be comfortable with, but his past had a lot to lend to him in that aspect.

Wings tucked down at his sides, instinctively hiding the tinder that they were suddenly representing. No longer were they assets, but hindrances. Feathers were just as flammable as hair, and he couldn’t trust himself to not genuinely attempt to kill Valiance if the dragon left him flightless for the rest of his life out of anger from a spar gone wrong. The thud of Resplendence’s body had him jerking his head high in the respite given to him from Valiance, and his stomach clenched with horror, a sick swoop and lurch that kicked him into high gear. I told you not to let yourself fall in a fight! he wailed internally. Though, he’d never truly spoken it, only thought it just as he had there. Approaching heat and a sudden flare of light from above had survival as his priority, and he struggled up from his half-squat where he’d landed avoiding the first gout of flame.

Kicking off in another desperate, muscle-reliant maneuver, he shot ahead and to the left where his body had already naturally been leaning from his landing. The fire barely even warmed his hocks, but as he’d suspected, Valiance was persistent in his protective rage. If it would do any good, he likely would've been liable to scream Resplendence’s head off for the danger her damnable companion posed. Just like the first time when he’d had to scold her because of Valiance.

Her screaming resonated in Kaj’s head, though this time it wasn’t his name but Valiance’s that echoed from her lips. His magic cut to an abrupt halt, not wanting the dry air his storms caused to emblaze the already magnificently disastrous gouts in the dragon’s jaws. The turbulent air was already magnifying it enough. Before he could swing right fast enough, heavy, bulky limbs caught in the deep troughs of the sand, fire danced and flirted with the skin of his left shoulder, only furthering the agony from where Resplendence had kicked him early on. It was easily a second degree burn, but it hurt beyond belief when coupled with the deep bruising and clotted laceration. Eventually he seemed to be called back to his companion’s side, leaving Kaj heaving and shaking beneath the weight of his own adrenaline. Instinct dictate he finish the fight, deal the last blow, or his foe would come back to do so himself. He was caught in the throes of the survivalist mindset he’d thrust himself into to best deal with Valiance’s sudden trip off the tracks.

Resplendence’s apologies came shooting out of her mouth long before Kaj was capable of comprehending them, and he gave a bone-deep sigh and trudged over to her, relying heavily on his right side. A hind leg he could have dealt with, but Kaj despised foreleg injuries. He would be sore and aching for the next few days, with a sizable burn on his left shoulder. Not to mention his unwanted mohawk, but he could begrudge that later since it hadn’t really hurt him aside the peppering of hot cinders.

Fixing Resplendence with a steady stare, he spoke quietly. “And if he had blinded me? If he had disfigured me? If he had left your other opponents with a fear of fire, of you, of fighting? Would you excuse him then, for being a danger? I never would have truly hurt you, the blow was accidental as all spars usually end. I would have stopped immediately had he not attacked. I cannot forgive that.” It was too mighty a blow, and though a mild grievance when directed towards him, he could not help but think of Kahlua, or any other less capable fighter that could have been permanently ruined by her companion’s idiocy. He held to himself the promotion he intended to give her, far more focused on the lesson she needed to learn.

{800/800} && {1/1}

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
By my verdict: KAJ is the winner!

KAJ
Realism [+3.5]
I really felt you had some great attacks and defenses in this fight! I was hoping for a bit more description of his magic attack in post 3 and his evasion/defense in post 4, but otherwise you kept true to timing, flow, positioning and overall realism. I especially liked your magic setting your own hair on fire and how you worked in multiple times that this was a friendly, training spar. I enjoyed seeing the mentions of past fights and what Kaj knew from them.

For the most part you took good injuries, however your last post was a bit too strong for a damage roll of 1 considering you said he had second degree burns. I was a bit iffy about him falling in post 3, however since it read more like he fell down on his knees, and that that was his 1 damage injury, I went for it. I did enjoy you constant use of scenery and would have loved to see more breed references - you did at one point say Resplendence was more agile in post 2, but Kaj has the higher agility stat. Also great job at mentioning sustained injuries the whole fight,

Emotion [+2]
Overall I felt Kaj throughout the fight, especially in your first post, and your last (the closing defense, although that one wasn’t scored!) It seemed to teeter off a bit in your second and thir posts as you focused more on getting out the realism aspects. For instance I wanted to know more about why Kaj executed such a strong attack there at the end of his second post - hitting a joint is serious business, even if his object is to slow her down. Given that he’s teaching her though, wouldn’t he have wanted her to have her speed?

Prose [+4]
Great writing all throughout.

Readability [+3]
Easy to read.

Finally tally: 44+(11.5*2)= 67 HP

RESPLENDENCE
Realism [+2]
You also had some good attacks and defense ideas, however it seemed like you kept taking too much injury in each post. The fractured bone in post 2 definitely stands out and might have been okay if the damage roll was a 6, but given it was a 5 and that she was defensively rearing away from Kaj, it just doesn’t seem plausible to me - something more like a bruised bone would have suited better. Similarly flipping over backwards in post 3 was just a bit too much for a damage of 2, on top of having a fractured leg which should have affected her ability to rear, even if she was terrified of lightning.

You had a couple mentions of surroundings, like the sand being partially why she flipped over backwards, but otherwise it didn’t feel touched on much, and same with breed references. You did good remembering her injuries during the fight though.

Emotion [+1.5]
It seemed like you started off telling me how Resplendence felt rather than showing me, but you finished off really strong. For instance I would have expected a lot more emotion in your second post given the severity of the injury, the situation, and the opponent, and maybe you just ran out of words, but it felt like it was no big deal to her.

Prose [+4]
Great writing the whole fight.

Readability [+2.5]
Just a couple typos in your first post!

“...do it again.” she said…” (again,” she)
“Her body lurching forward uncertainly as almost trips, stumbling forward…) (weird wording, as supposed to be and maybe?)

Finally tally: 29+(10*2)= 49 HP