the Rift

looking for mud [questing, open]

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

TOR
a mare who is forever wandering, bound by nothing but her mind

The pale mare, nerves jittery with fear, picked her way through the marsh, fear gnawing inside her at the thought of beasts watching her and the unknown things lurking in the swamp water. She lifted her warm brown eyes, the loving eyes of a sweet soul, searching for where the swamp bled out into the pure ocean. There the Earth God had said she would find the mud. Did it look different? Shine, or glow, or something? Thunder boomed in the distance, and the gray-and-white mare nearly leaped out of her skin. As it was, her hooves splashed into the murky liquid of the swamp. Jerking it back out, Tor shut her mouth from whimpering, locking her lips. What if she had disturbed something? Not trusting herself, the Friesian cross continued on, locked intently on keeping her clumsy feet from stepping in the shallow, or mayhaps deep, brown sludge water again. Her white feathers were clotted in mud, thick strands of dirt hanging off her big-jointed legs. Eerie moaning seemed to play in her head, terrifying the mare even more, despite her big size that most would immediately sterotype to a warrior. A soft hissing filled her ears. Standing deathly still, Tor slowly swivelled her ears. The tension swept out of her taut muscles when she realized it was simply the pattering of rain dampening the soil and submerging into the sketchy Spectral Marsh water. Moving forward again, Tor ignored the distant rumbling of thunder, managing to shut down on her fear. She wound her way through the marshes, and eventually, her nostrils flared and scent the smell of salt, mixed bizarrely with mud and maybe a twinge of death or skeletal things. Oh, dammit, I'm go crazy. The mare thought in despair, trying desperately to ignore what she thought was the stench of death swilled in salt. Her eyes skipped over the murky water mixed with a touch of ocean blues, ignored the stretches of weeds and grasses, and instead sought for the mud. The healing mud. Another bolt of terror shot through her as a crack of lightning shot through the sky, followed by a resounding boom of thunder. I need to complete this task before I go absolutely insane.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: 372

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

A tiny little bird sat on a bough of a mossy tree, and she watched the strange mare slosh through the muck and grime with curiosity. She was a pretty bird, greenish grey like the moss of the Marsh but with a large, red crest upon her head. "Are you lost?" she asked, her voice bright and vibrant.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

"Are you lost?"

Tor's great head jerked up, and startled, she hopped to the side, curving away from the unknown voice. Warily, she focused herself on the tiniest bird she had ever seen, plunked down on the branch of moss-laden tree. The tobiano cautiously let the tension seep out of her features, and flicked her ears forward. Yes, the voice certainly hadn't held a threat in it's bright depths. Her eyes quickly asorbed the little bird's appearance. It blended in well to the surroundings, a pretty gray with a tinge of green to its (or maybe her?) feathers. A bold red crest rose from the top of her head. No harm in talking to her, Tor figured. She smiled hesitantly, looking at the small, surprisingly pretty creature, most certainly the opposite of what she had expected to be inhabiting this particular part of Helovia.

"Sorry, you startled me. I can't stop thinking about what creepy creatures might be lurking around in the marsh. No, I'm not lost, thank you for asking. But I am looking for something..." Tor let her voice trail off, uncertain as if it would be polite to seek the bird's help right away. A shiver quivered through her silver pelt as she thought of the nameless horrors that might be submerged in the murks of the marsh. Shaking her head, Tor discarded the dark thoughts in her mind, and refocused on the small bird. "I'm seeking a kind of mud, one that can help heal wounds. Can you help me at all, please?" The please sounded out of place to Tor's ears, but she couldn't scare off the bird. If the little animal did know, it would certainly be helpful if she was willing to share the information with Tor.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: 100+

Helovian Ancient

The little creature listened, turning her head this way and that as she watched the mare. "Oh! You have to keep walking South." She said. "The mud bubbles up from the ground, but can you carry it back? Have you something to hold it in?" she asked with concern.

"Also, watch your hooves! The dead lay beneath."

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

Tor smiled in relief as the little critter listened attentively, turning her pretty head side to side as she watched Tor. "Oh! You have to keep walking South. The mud bubbles up from the ground, but can you carry it back? Have you something to hold it in? Also, watch your hooves! The dead lay beneath." Tor bobbed her head in thanks, and paused to consider the bird's words for a moment. A shudder ran through her dual-colored body as she thought of, ugh, the dead. She shook the thoughts away. No, I don't really have anything I could carry the mud in. Maybe a bundle of leaves?

"I was thinking of maybe carrying it back in some leaves, but I'm not completely sure." Tor confessed, dropping her head a little sheepishly. "Do you know anything, perhaps?"

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: 137

Helovian Ancient

"That should work! The little bird spoke this in a happy chime. "Goodbye."

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

Tor nodded her head in thanks and called out, "Thank you! Bye!" The tobiano mare turned on her hindquarters, spinning around to the slightly-less-scary swamp. But only slightly, Tor thought to herself nervously as something rustled through the grasses. So. Go more south. Tor adjusted her position and leaped across the brackish water to another tufted path. She twisted around awkwardly to avoid disturbing the water. Her hooves thudded softly on the ground as she moved into a brisk trot, excitement eating away the fear. The mare was almost done! Or at least, half-way there. She snatched up some leaves with her mouth as she passed a bent and gnarled tree, and paused to rub on some clay which would hold them together. Again, Tor picked it up carefully, hoping the vessel would hold.

Canter, canter, canter. The wind whipped her mane and tail. Mud splattered her belly. The tobiano slowed to a stop, eyes seeking the mud. Where is it?

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: 167

Helovian Ancient

The mud is hidden in the roots beneath a large, moss covered tree.

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable
[ooc: Assuming it is now okay to say the quest is over :) Sorry if its not! I will re-edit post if so.]

TOR

A pang of worry flashed through the mare. Her dark brown eyes roved over the sparse swamp, skipping over the mossy tree right in front of her. Nostrils flaring, Tor glanced one last time around- nothing. Disappointment shot through her. But then, her eyes caught on something shifting in the roots underneath the old tree. Cautiously, she took a couple of steps forward. Mud clotted on her white legs, turning them thick and brown. Dirt smeared her soft gray muzzle as she lowered her head, sniffing. A bubble of brown popped, exploding onto her flesh. Jerking her head up in surprise, Tor glared, shocked, at the offender. Mud! Oozing, dark brown mud boiled and bubbled, frothing like a rabid dog. It oozed softly, lapping thickly at the calloused roots of the gnarled tree. To test it, she rubbed some onto her muzzle, and turned to swipe it onto the bruised shoulder she had gained from the cruel, twisted black unicorn she had met along the way here. The mare had slammed her hooves against her creamy shoulder, and it was incredibly sore. Instantly, the mud soothed the tremors in it, whispering silkily against it, healing the small wound. Yes! I've found it!

The small leaf-and-clay vessel, now balanced precariously in Tor's maw, scooped up several heaping hoof-fulls of dark, bubbling mud. She carefully lowered it to the ground again, and re-adjusted her grip, shutting the top. A bit of mud slithered onto her tongue, and she resisted the urge to retch, which would certainly cause the little invention to fall and perhaps fall open. With careful, small steps, Tor turned, ignoring the brackish water. She began to walk, and slowly, gaining confidence, she began to trot, until she left the dead swamp far behind.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: ???