the Rift

we become silhouettes [paladin]

Valhalla Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Rumors had been whispered faintly into the harlequin's ears, but they had been feeble words, twirling aimlessly along the steady streams of the wind. They had promised a change in leadership, that Gossamer and her lover no longer reigned supreme over the vast, luscious, yet relatively stagnate region - at least as of late - that was the Windtossed Foothills.

Not only that, but they had suggested their new superior to be a particularly valiant stallion: one that Valhalla had nearly been with so long ago; a once desired, eligible companion; the sire of a foal he had never known. The hapless young child had become a stranger to even the one who had given her life, estranged from her mother's side far too soon. She was gone, likely claimed by the consuming shades that had terrorized the fair maiden's beloved land of moonlight. Yet another casualty of war. She sighed solemnly, as if dismissing the chronically disheartening memory of the land of her birth.

She sometimes wished she could just forget that Isilme had ever existed, to wipe it clean from her memory, for despite the pristine image she had amassed of that wondrous place, not even it had been perfectly devoid of inadequacy.

But that is the past, now - it's what she always tried to convince herself, and yet this melancholic state never so much as evidenced the slightest hint of wavering. Perhaps all the weight of her past is what stifled her, bearing down in a great heap of regret and deficiency: of hopes shattered and dispersed into the whimsical caprices of the wind. She grunted. All this emotional concavity, persistently marring her true demeanor, was growing bothersome.

What had she become?

Cavalier hooves soon found a diminutive pool of water: rain droplets which had collected into a shallow depression in the loorien. Her nostrils flexed with a deep exhale as she lowered her face to the reflective puddle, ripples propagating across the surface as her lips scanned slowly across it. She grunted deeply, a contralto grunt rumbling deep in her throat. Her brows furrowed, and she outstretched a dappled leg to shatter the image which had manifested.

Nothing felt normal or sane anymore. She wanted nothing more than to regain some semblance of what normalcy had once existed; to rewind time and fix the mistakes she had made; to claim Paladin when she had had the chance.

What of destiny? Kismet? Did she believe in such things? Not even she was entirely sure, but that had become maddeningly routine.

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

From the dawn of time, to the end of days
I will have to run, away
I want to feel the pain, and the bitter taste
Of the blood on my lips, again

Since his arrival to Isilme, she was the first pegasus that he had laid eyes on, and he still believed her to be beautiful. The mare's stunning, plum eyes had drawn him in, and he remembered the way they danced together in the fields. They had run playfully, back when Paladin was still young and wild, unencumbered by the laws of politics and caring for others. The herd he had on the Tides was small then, and he had thought that she could have been the one for him. That thought had passed quickly in his mind. Once, he had been with her intimately. Only once.

Now was the first time that he could admit to himself that the plum-eyed mare had broken his heart. She had chosen the pale stallion who wanted Soleil's heart, and Paladin knew then that she was not true. The black dun had chosen Soleil, who had always held a part of his heart, but then, he gave it to her fully. Before her, Paladin had never been allowed to love; hatred and war were his only allies. The emotion was new and exciting. He had not realized that he could love more than one mare at a time, and that had caused such a conflict in his soul. Now, as he stared at her winged, grey figure, all he felt was regret and the tainted shadow of what once was love.

"Valhalla," he said, dipping his head in a fair gesture of respect. His crimson eyes betrayed his inner turmoil, and he swung his tail around his fetlocks in mild agitation. The stallion was not as handsome as he had been when he saw her on the borders of Helovia. Now, his mane was scorched to a thin, white crest on top of neck, like that of a young foals. Tender, newly pink skin ran from his shoulder and over one of his eyes. The stallion was definitely worse for the wear, and he absently wondered if she was vain enough to dislike his appearance now too.

Perhaps that was all she loved in the first place. His appearance. Or, his title. If either were true, the stallion knew that he would hurt, but Soleil eased away that pain like water to his burns. He never once doubted that she loved him. All Valhalla was now was doubt. "Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked, crimson eyes meeting hers with a battle-worn hardness as he masked his emotions.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, EQUALITY

Unregistered
s

The mare's pricked ears were magnetized by the bristling tenor of a stallion's voice - one so familiar. For a moment, she watched him blankly, frozen in uncertainty, as if his endearingly crimson eyes had transmit a paralyzing signal. He spoke her name, and his words danced intimately through her mane, twirling the strands through docile fingers. Don't be a coward.

She couldn't help but smile. To see her name upon his lips had slightly lifted her spirits, and she regarded him cordially, her expression tainted with a melancholic twinge. As much as she tried to disguise it, it just wasn't entirely possible. "Paladin." She returned, dipping her head in acknowledgement, her voice alluded with an odd sort of ease. She tried to expel her attention from the way his raspy voice clung to her pricked ears like a cobweb. It was daunting the affect he had upon her, and she snorted restrainedly before searching for an answer to his question, which she wasn't entirely certain how to answer.

Her mouth was dry, and instead, she simply nodded, watching with an awkwardly displayed grin as he neared. Something was different about him. His eyes seemed more weary, his hide marred with a wide legion of unsightly scars, his mane scorched and rather unimpressive.

These things did little to diminish her attraction toward him. In fact, they made him seem more imposing, more masculine. Still, time had not been kind to him, she thought, but neither had time been gentle on her. He evidenced no sign of his inner turmoil, and he therefore remained a mystery to Valhalla. "I hear you've become king once again?" She said, stating the obvious. She craned her neck toward him and nudged him fondly on the nape, a smile curling her sooty, slate gray lips. "You deserve this, Paladin."

She wondered if he would remember a similar phrase being uttered from her lips long ago, though that had been a much different scenario.

Unregistered
gentle nudge :3

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

From the dawn of time, to the end of days
I will have to run, away
I want to feel the pain, and the bitter taste
Of the blood on my lips, again

Paladin did not know why this mare had such a pull on him, and he had to clench his jaw to keep himself from showing the sympathy he felt. He watched as her ears tilted with uncertainty, lovely lilac eyes moving over his battle-torn figure. The crimson eyes that returned her gaze were cold and impartial, and they did not drift from her face to her tantalizing form. Instead, he stood like a statue of a warrior; proud, tall, and almost surreal. He was distantly polite, and any warmth that managed to filter into his voice or actions was nothing more than polite. Did she deserve this treatment from him? He sighed. She had chosen to stand at Crane's side when they met that day on the beach. The grey had used him and moved on to the next 'big thing'.

She approached, and he furrowed his brows, gritting his teeth when he felt her soft, whiskered muzzle move over his nape. Did she remember nothing? What gave her the right to treat him like they had once been when she had made an absolute fool of his emotions? The black stallion did not rip his neck away. He did not stomp his hooves in irritation or distance himself from her. Instead, he turned his neck so that his crimson eyes could stare directly into her purple ones, the expression stern and cold. "I was given little other choice as I watched this place fall into lethargy," he replied, his voice still rich, but apathetic. He deserved this? What was he supposed to say to that? "I will not remain lead much longer. The herd will choose its own leaders soon."

This subtle game of nuances and emotions was growing tiring, and, like a typical man, he decided to barrel through the cloud of delicacies and attack the situation. "You had your chance long ago, Valhalla," he said pointedly, making sure that their eyes remained locked. "I loved you, and you chose Crane. I do not blame you for that decision, but it was made. I chose Soleil, and I never thought that I could experience such love as I do with her." Paladin sighed a little, ebony ears tilted to the side in irritation with this entire situation. "You are a brilliant mare, and I appreciate your presence. However, what we had will never be again." You made your choice, and I made mine. There is no going back.

ABOVE ALL ELSE, EQUALITY