the Rift

[OPEN] the breeze whispers

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

An infestation of ideals, of deliberate examination and weighted conversations, marks the broad minds of the girl and fox. It is a shift, though subtle: the slightest twist of a careful smile, the smallest drop in an overfilled cup; not enough to ignite a cascade, but enough to upset, to unbalance, to revise. The world is distant at the edge of this evening, though the girl cannot quite place how. A part of her knows, though, whispers it, screams it, fiercely and softly insists that it is now time to change.

They arrive for their patrol in a pensive mood, bearers of a quiet air and keepers of a thousand thoughts. Nimble hooves pick through rebellious growth, following and abandoning worn trails at will, making a new way through mist and meadow toward the crystalline pool. Golden-gazed brother is not far behind; he appears beside her in a burst of movement, drawn to shallow water and the creatures within. Keen nostrils twitch, whiskers flickering: the boy has not consumed fish in some time. Today the breeze whispers a promise of change.

In the spaces between ripples and splashes and mirth she looks at her face in the halycon pool. Black eyes peer back through a gilded crescent and a braided forelock, beneath lilac flower and above the soft glow of the shower of sparks which encircles her form. It is a worn face, a pretty face, but the girl is left wondering- is it my face? Who am I, she asks it: fire child, golden wraith, daughter of moonlight and shadow and sun? Am I naught but the memory of a family long gone, the echoes of dragons and starlight and pines? Am I their shadow cast by the sun?

And if I
am, then what of me is me?

Abruptly her reflection distorts, replaced by a small three-tailed fox, who stares at her through eager gold eyes, a fish clasped triumphantly in his toothy jaws. Not them anymore, the kitsune declares. Not Mother. Not anyone. Now Tavi and Raj. Now we just us.

And finally, gloriously, the words ring true, and the girl nods, onyx gaze ardent. Yes she agrees with her wiser half. You're right. I'm ready. It is time to change.

speech

@[Rhoa] @[Cera]
[ patrol time! unexpected life changing moment ]

THE FIREDANCER
for it was I who walked among the falling stars, and did not burn
credit | credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

Rhoa Posts: 175
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 3 HP: 65 | Buff: ENDURE
Odd
RHOA
I belong anywhere but inbetween
I don't even know why I'm here. I feel conflicted. I don't understand the sense of obligation I feel towards my herd. I mean, why should I? Mother and Ivezho have just gone off somewhere. Father keep saying it's for the Academy but .. I'm starting to not believe it. Did she leave him? If so, why? And why would she take Ivezho and not me? Perhaps surprisingly I don't feel emotional about it anymore. I did before but now .. now after the egg I just feel empty. I did everything I could and it still wasn't enough but you know what? I think I learned something. I think I learned that it will never be enough. Why try harder, why strive for anything? I'll just fail it, just like I've failed at everything so far. There's no point to it all. Life has no meaning.

Begin existential crisis.

So why am I here? Why do I care? What has the herd done for me? Kept me safe? Oh sure, it isn't like there's a murderer out there or anything. Have we caught them yet? No? Then how am I safe? I don't even have a real job there I just .. .you know, do whatever I"m told. I mean, yes, I understand that I'm young but ... I just feel like I have no worth; no value of my own. I am only important because of my lineage. And yet .. I'm still here. Still patrolling. I suppose I was born with an overactive sense of duty to accompany my under developed lungs. Wonderful.

Now all of that aside, I'm nervous about patrolling this time. This time it's with Tandavi and Cera. Both are so ... so impressive. They have magic, they talk to Gods. They have companions and friends and ... I don't know, a life. Everything that I don't.

(ohandalsoTaviisbeautiful).

I sigh as I glide, trying to swallow all the thoughts currently whirling around. Focus I tell myself, just focus, and don't think about it.

I land with relative ease, although I'm sure I still look fairly awkward. I shiver looking around the grove. Isn't this where ... you know. Adults come to ... do the thing? So why are we patrolling here? I guess a murderer could be anywhere but .. eeeesh. (I can think Tavi is beautiful while still being awkward about sex, okay?!)

"Hello." I offer rather softly just in case things are happening around us. I tuck my wings to my flanks, hiding the pulsing glowing light that emanates from them. Apparently I've beat Cera here I realize, glancing around Tandavi and seeing only her.

Only her.

Gods help me.

Table style by Tamme!

When the boy appears she does not know enough to be concerned, is not aware enough to question if perhaps everything is not alright. The girl is too caught up in her revelation, too emboldened and empowered by the force of her realization; she turns around with a dazzling grin emblazoned upon the crescent face, a laugh which quickly subdues to a smile. Dust is raised in the speed of her motion, embers sent flying in the wake of her mane; she is illuminant in the fading light, radiant with enthusiasm and a newfound thirst for life.

Her lips do not open to voice a response, but her welcome of Rhoa is clear in her eyes. She is blissfully unaware of the turmoil in the boy's mind, yet as she watches something settles, slowly subdues in the fury of her heart. Fierce expressions soften and fade, ardent eyes searching the smaller boy, raking over his youthful form, wondering what secrets lurk within his mind. She has spent little time with her Leaders' child (children? Where is the other one?) but she knows from the maze that he is brave, if a little bit savage.

She likes him, she decides.

Slender limbs pivot back toward the lake, cream dusted kitsune hot on her heels. The girl has never been skilled with dialogue, and that deficiency shines evident as her pitch voice stains the air. "Are you ready?" she asks, though for what is not evident- adventure? Excitement? Another dull day of patrolling the mist? Patrolling is never the highlight of activities. The girl counts herself fortunate that she has encountered no coupling on her trips through the grove, though she cannot but confess her curiosity to Natraj. The small boy chortles, his laughter a bark- What do you know? she snorts, distressed by the concept that her sibling may know more than she. Had vixens, the boy shoots back. Don't tell you everything. She groans. Gross.

She forces her mind back to the boy. This silent conversation is not for him; he is a child, impressionable, impassioned, to be nurtured and led and taught, not left behind. Not the way Mother left us... again the girl shakes her head. This is the start of a new beginning. This is the beginning of a new tale.

Abruptly, brightly, she turns back to Rhoa. "What do you know of our history?" she asks, the question a square bullet aimed straight for his heart. So many, she has learned, do not know the stories, the legends of what happened, of how they reached this point in time. Even she is not universally informed; her knowledge has holes she knows she must fill. Perhaps that will be their next adventure. To learn the truth of the entire world.
[ patrol time! unexpected life changing moment ]

THE FIREDANCER
credit | credit

Odd
RHOA
I look at Natraj for the first time, having only glanced him bounding around at herd meetings in the past. I've never seen anything like him before, although I've heard of his species. He isn't like I imagined at all. I thought with all those tails Kitsunes would be .. awkward looking, as if their anatomy has been horribly screwed up. But he isn't like that at all. He's well formed and appears graceful and strong. The back of my mind reels to the bird-lady and to the egg on the beach, and the emptiness spreads once again. I stifle it immediately, biting my lip hard enough to cause me to wince.

Don't think about it.

"Yes!" I respond. The enthusiasm in my voice causes it to crackle, bringing to the forefront my youthfulness that I try to hide. I can feel blood rush to my face, although thankfully my dark coat once again keeps it hidden. "That is, yes I am. Are you?" I repeat, willing my voice to be steady with literally every fibre I can manage.

She asks about our history and I feel a surge of relief. I know a lot. Mother (before she left) taught me plenty. I know about Kri and Midas and Father. I know about the Sun God .. the mental list I'm compiling abruptly halts as fear creeps in, as it so often does. What if that isn't actually a lot? What if there is more to learn and I just .. haven't yet? Mother is gone, perhaps our lessons weren't over? Perhaps we started with only the basics, the things that everyone knows, and that the more interesting stuff, the stuff that might impress Tandavi, was withheld until later? Only there never was a later. uuughghghghghghghgh.

"I know a bit.." I say somewhat hesitantly, now self-conscious about whether or not the body of information that I do know is sufficient or not. "Before my Mother left she was teaching Ivezho and me - err, Ivezho and I - about the lore of the Throat. Father has told me all about the Invasions of course .. but Mother taught me about our previous leaders, Kri the Resolute and Midas the Gallant.." I trail off, my green gaze unable to rise to meet her own, so instead I stare at my hooves. Is this what she wanted? Is this what she meant?

I hazard a quick glance, but the sudden motion caused my forelock to fall squarely over my eyes distorting my vision. Raising one of my burning wings I lean my head to the left to try and brush the dark hair awkwardly from my eyes.

Table style by Tamme!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Cloaked in sunbeams and sightless breezes, the Golden Prince is late to the party. Patrol, is corrected by the little beastie on his back, prim and sassy as always. Cera chuckled softly, his eyes roving the earth below in search of his partners. Helping Gaucho with his quest had sapped away time, far more than the forger had anticipated, actually. Having been away from his companion so long, the young Prince had returned to the Throat from the beaches to retrieve her (of course, only after having to help Ampere with her odd coconut-hunting business for the party). By that time he was dreadfully close to the required meeting time, and Ilaria had bitten him upon the nape and scolded him half the flight there for his poor time management. A fluffy tail whacked just behind his shoulder, incensed by the thoughts she could feel throughout his mind, and the young cherub laughed once more. It was snatched away by the wind, stolen from his tongue to die on the wake of his passing.

Boughs bend beneath his passing, beneath the hard thrust of his wings and the air he conjures like magic beneath each filament, each ivory feather. They are easy enough to find, gleaming figures on an emerald stage, new peridot leaves incapable of shuttering away those he seeks. They are like gold and silver beacons, tiny in the scheme of the world but large in Cera's heart and mind. He circles high above them, riding the currents and observing them, their surroundings. Assuring that nothing is approaching to harm them, that they've not missed some predator that would seek to shred their souls and forms.

A whistle through his feathers is all the noise he makes, descending upon them in an elegant flurry. Pale legs reach forth to catch himself, throwing up grass and dirt upon impact, and he jogged out the sting that spiked through his limbs in a familiar sensation. Approaching the two, he gallantly dipped his head to them, an easy smile stretching his handsome features. Ilaria crawls to his shoulder to peer around it, chittering down at Natraj in recognition before casting her warm brown eyes to the young progeny of Gaucho. Cera flared his wings to shake the ghost of wind from them, tucking them neatly at his sides a moment later as he danced into their conversation somewhat sheepishly.

"My apologies for my tardiness, Gaucho's quest and Ampere's efforts for the Sun celebration held me. Have I missed anything of import?" Had he missed something, Cera would feel genuinely regretful, especially after shielding Amani so carefully on their previous patrol. Leaving the two alone had made him shudder with fear as it was, unfounded though it may have been. They were more than capable of defending themselves, but the Golden Prince always shouldered the burden of worry more than he should.

image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

"I like your wings," she tells him wistfully, black gaze tracing the exposed fire. She soaks in the boy's words like a hungry sponge- she has no idea who Midas is, but has met Kri long ago, when she fled from the frying pan into the fire. Carefully black eyes look at the child, so pleased with his knowledge and yet so unsure; she nods, smiling, looking for his gaze, wondering why he hides such lovely green eyes. Before mother left sits heavy in her mind- is he as alone as she was for so long? With Sohalia absent and Gaucho so busy, who keeps the children of their herd from falling into ruin?

"There have been many invasions," she tells him softly, gaze turning back to the water's edge. "Most are stupid." Her brother dances through the shore, running back now to nip at the child's hocks, darting again to the rippling water's edge. He tries to keep the overall mood light, to draw his sister's thoughts from depressing depths. Educate. Don't inundate.

She laughs and looks down at her brother's small form. Where did you even learn that word? The fox sticks out a long, black tongue. Told you. Know lots of things.

She shudders mockingly.

She wants to say more to the slate colored boy. "Do you miss your mother?" slips past her tongue, but mercifully Cera swallows some of her voice, his arrival a whistle in the soft birdsong wind. The girl starts, spinning to face him, embers rising heavy in a cloud from her coat; but she is quickly to relax and break into a smile, narrow face softening at the sight of the boy. With the third member of their party here they can truly begin their patrol, leave the central location and seek out secrets.

She is happy to be caught in the eyes of this pair, pleased at the chance to learn more of their thoughts. She nods in response to the golden boy's words, while Natraj yips back gleefuly to Ilaria's greeting, inviting her to come and enjoy the water. But the girl's voice has vanished back into her throat, subdued down by older child's arrival, lingering and waiting while she watches, intent.

[ idek guys i'm sorry. ]

THE FIREDANCER
credit | credit

Odd
RHOA
I feel myself becoming dizzy with joy as Tandavi compliments my wings. My wings. Have I ever been paid a compliment before? I don't think I have. All I've ever been told is how much I've failed at things, all the things I'm not. Not brave, not old enough, not useful enough. Right now all of that disappears though as this sense of purpose and pride fills and floods my small frame. If I can just hold onto this feeling, maybe everything will be okay. "Thank you." I mumble rather stupidly, my lips peeling back in a wide grin as I look down trying to hide the thrill that is present on my youthful face.

As she mentions invasions the smile falters and my head raises. Yes, I suppose they are all stupid. I want to be a fierce warrior like Father one day but ... I just can't help but think that bloodshed isn't the answer. It can't be. Talking things through is so much easier. But then, I am young and weak. Perhaps that is what the weak think while the strong know differently. Maybe one day I will understand. I bob my head in agreement.

The golden girl and the dark thing seem to be talking. Tavi's compliment is nearly enough to stifle the feeling of sadness and jealousy that creeps up into my throat. It would have been too, were it not for the graceful arrival of Cera and the question that falls from her lips.

As I see Cera, a flurry of gold, white, and grace I step backwards. I had seen the Golden Prince before, but we've never spoken. I feel rather odd about him. There is a fair amount of hero worship that floods my veins for him, but at the same time a fair amount of jealousy. Once father regarded him as a son, but not he is more like a brother. All of this while I remain a lowly bother. The feeling of inadequacy combined with Tavi's question pulls me backwards another step. My eyes, round with alarm and fear find Tavi's onyx gaze before shooting back down again. I can't admit that I miss my mother in front of him. In front of the one who my father loves more than me. I am alone in this world and suddenly my throat seems to close and I can't bring myself to say anything at all.

I want to run. To scream and take to the skies. To hide in the Throat (no idiot they live in the Throat too!) - so perhaps I'll just go away. That's what I'll do. Exhilaration races through my veins as I think of it, but it is quickly crushed as Cera's statement reminds me of my Father and why we're all here. No one Father loves Cera more. He's doing his job. Not daydreaming about running away.

Dizzy with confusion and the realization that I cannot run from this, I huff to myself, biting my lip to keep tears from forming in my eyes (which was stupid because it really hurt).

"Yeah I do" I whisper softly, gaze still firmly looking at my hooves.

I don't think I've ever missed her as much as I do right now. If Mother was here I could just run to her. I would never be running away, only ever towards her. My beautiful Mother. My guiding light, lost somewhere in the sands with Ivezho.

Overly emotional Rhoa is overly emotional :/

Table style by Tamme!

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Had Cera known his presence would cause such a disturbance, he never would have rushed to meet up with them. Tandavi's parting question lingered in his ears, even as the silence wore on. Where had Sohalia gone, indeed? She had left behind her children, her mate, her herd. Cera had a foul view of abandonment, considering the amount of times he'd been subjected to it. When people left, they never seemed to care about those they left behind. He was always the one remaining, faithful. He was always the one watching their backs grow smaller on a horizon he could never follow them into. He had grown accustomed to the bitter taste of loneliness, the peculiar tang of being left behind and forgotten. His heart surged with a sudden protective love for the colt beside him, though in that moment he seemed to be having some sort of anxiety attack in Cera's presence. Even the sudden realization that Tandavi has the magic to aid him in his quest cannot quell the sudden flare of sympathy for young Rhoa.

There would always be time for the patrol. Gaucho did not have to do, and was not around to be aware. Cera could break the rules just once.

He turned to Rhoa, lowering his head to the growing youth with sincere emerald eyes that sought out the gaze rooted on the ground. It was clearly an answer to Tandavi's last question, and that killed Cera inside.

"I miss my mother too," he admitted softly. Though it was not just he and Rhoa, if being sincere and opening up the closet to reveal his skeletons then he would suffer multiple people witnessing his weakness. A sad smile creased his lips. "I can't even remember her face. I never knew her name. She left me in the Dragon's Throat when I was barely weaned, and I never saw her again." He took a moment to simply breathe, to clench his eyes shut against the tears that loved to come hand-in-hand with the topic. "I was starving, and tired, and lonely. I didn't know anybody, and nobody paid me any attention. Nobody looked twice at me, assuming my mother was a Throat member and had to be around somewhere. I didn't learn to speak, I was lonely and felt like my life could never get any better." It hurt, it hurt so bad to rip open the sutures he'd made with an unsteady hand on his heart in order to heal the young boy before him, but it was a selfless act. If he could ease Rhoa's mind, he would break his own legs retrieving his errant mother.

"But, when I thought everything was lost, and that nobody cared for me...Midas found me. He took me under his wing, he loved me, and he never shamed me for my lack of knowledge when it came to speech. It was a hard road. I was ashamed by my inability to talk, I felt like I was a failure. How could anybody love me? Respect me? My father was brilliant, a sun in his own right, and I was just...I was just a stain. A mistake." He still felt that way, but that wasn't the message he wanted to impart on Rhoa. He wanted to give the young stallion hope, show him that he too could rise from the depths to be someone important. He could find love. A place to fit in. He, too, could finally feel comfortable in his own skin.

"Midas wasn't around much. But I clung to it. He found love in what was once the Foothills, and I was separated from my brother and sister for many seasons because he was too stubborn to leave. I felt lonely and betrayed. And when the Gods called upon him? He answered without question, doing what his family had begged him to do for seasons." Realizing he had gone off into a mild tangent, once again delving into deeper, darker thoughts that would not help Gaucho's son, he clamped down on it and kicked it back into the box labeled 'Do Not Open' in his mind. "But everything turned out okay. I found my brother and sister again. I was promoted, I made friends, I found purpose and life beyond those who had abandoned me. And let me tell you something, Rhoa."

"Your mother was my mentor for many moons. She is kind, and her heart is as gold as my father's eyes. Her love is strong and unwavering. Wherever she is, I do not believe she went willingly. And even if she did?" Cera stepped closer, hoping Rhoa would not reject him as his voice went quiet, intense. "Even if she left you willingly, Rhoa, and even if it hurts so bad you can barely breathe, you will never really be alone. You do not have to be held back by it. It's okay, to hurt. To miss her. To be angry. But I will always be here for you, if you need me. I do not doubt Tandavi would swear the same." He glanced over his shoulder, the arch of his wings, and smiled weakly at Tandavi. Her spirit glowed as strong as the pyre she tended.

"And I will always be here if you need me, Rhoa. I promise you." It was hardly a whisper, meant for his ears rather than Tandavi's. Cera would remain in that clearing for hours if it meant Rhoa felt better, patrol be damned. Cera would not make the same mistake his father did. He would not abandon those who needed love and encouragement in favor of militaristic achievement. He'd sooner thrust a spike into his heart than leave Rhoa to suffer, feeling like he was alone and abandoned.

image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

Perhaps Cera's entrance merits more attention, a deeper regard from the copper child, but she is quickly drawn away from it and back to the boy's face. She regrets her question, almost- what right had she to pry at such wounds? What good does she think to do? She wants to step closer, to take him into her warm embrace and quiet the sorrow which mars his eyes. Her heart aches to make him whole, and as his whisper cracks the air she feels it shatter, fragment and burn.

She wants to say more, to step in and fill the void left by the sorrow of the boy's voice, but the moment is swept away by golden wings and a gilded voice too eloquent for the fire dancer to mimic. Cera is quick to fill the silence, his quiet tenor wrought with pain, and the Fire Dancer feels ire swirl with compassion in her chest, curious aggravation rising behind her eyes.

She listens to him, uncomfortable beneath the onslaught of his confession- can't he see that this is all wrong, not what she intended at all? Cera's tale is mournful, another lonely, another lost, a child abandoned like so many others and left to grow too soon to a man. Can't the Golden Prince understand that such tales are the last thing Rhoa needs? He spins a song of personal sorrow, of love and loss and unfulfilled misery, wrapping it up in an unsatisfying bow which stank of condescension and answered none of the roused appall. Nobody loves you, life will forever be cruel is the message left in the wake of his words, and the girl feels ill as she watches them fly from honeyed lips to impressionable ears.

Even the blunt-tongued fire child would not whisper such things to a new-formed foal. She feels depressed by the end of his tirade, and when he smiles at her all she can offer is a stoic expression which hides her dismay. She cannot help but feel some guilt, for asking the question instigating this onslaught; she wants to shudder and disappear, but now more than ever knows she cannot. She wants to glare daggers into the golden boy's pelt, to rip across his chest with words of flame. She holds her tongue for the sake of the child, a rare show of restraint from the spitfire girl.

But without her anger, she knows not what to say. Natraj comes quickly to her aid, pressing himself against the boy's small hooves, grinning and yipping in a valiant attempt to lighten the mood. The girl smiles weakly at her noble brother, grateful for his ever buoyant mood, and swallows before turning onyx gaze back on the boy, the faint smile burning brighter as she funnels her fury into something more useful, a distraction away from Cera's disturbing, depressing rant.

"We should walk the width of the pond," she softly declares, alto voice firm. "See if we can't spot any vagrants." It is one of very few attempts at humor from the somber child, but for the blazing boy she is willing to try anything, if only it will ease the tension created by her foolish questioned, her misplaced good will.

THE FIREDANCER
credit | credit