the Rift

!! Angel of Mercy

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I'm dead in the water, still looking for ya'

I had been broken. I had been beyond broken. But, finally, I had been granted the time to grieve through the two seasons of being unable to speak. Introspection can, for the most part, allow one to finally feel free again. Yet, I was still missing something I had always seen as integral to me. I wanted my companion back - I wanted a companion. No, I needed a companion. Perhaps I wouldn't have gotten lost if I'd still had one. Perhaps I wouldn't have been 'kidnapped' and abused on the way back.

Oh, that didn't matter. I tried to shove those thoughts out of my head. I tried to concentrate on the image of a lovely, red-tailed hawk floating around near me. I remembered the times my old companion had spoken to me. And I remembered the joy that he had brought me - the joy that I had only found mirrored when I was with Alleo.

I had found what I thought was my family, but this companion... it was the last step to completing it. I was prepared for the pain. I had felt the pain. But... I had also accepted the pain. I had learned to deal with pain for years. But now... now I was actually prepared for it.

So I walked. I moved myself across this strange land that was floating and headed toward the center of it. I could feel the trees, the way they swayed. I could vaguely feel the vibrations that proved the edges wouldn't allow me to fall off and into a nothingness. Then, once I felt as though I were settled, I prayed. I prayed for the Earth God to come. After all... I didn't know how to get back down from here so I wasn't exactly sure that going to the Veins was going to be happening soon.

turning in my quest for a companion || thread link below table

Image Creds | Coding by Schwartze

Three who lost/almost lost a companion
-- I officially hate angels || Aurelia, lost Shiva right in front of Rasta
-- Maps || Phaedra explains almost losing Stella
-- Stay With Me || Cirrus comes to terms with losing Sitka in front of Rasta

Mute Threads
-- Love && Loss
-- Slow Motion
-- Dead in the Water
-- cut through the rock
-- Devil Grass
-- Demons in Our Midst
-- Until You Break
-- A Place For My Head
-- one day I'll fly away
-- In Fear and Faith
-- Get Yourself Together
-- fleeting breath
-- Golden
-- Safety
-- Magic Stirs
-- In My Bones
-- Carpe Deim
-- The Water Gift
-- Hearts Without Chains
-- one more sunset, baby
-- one more day, one more time
-- living for today;
-- the dawn after a shining star
-- hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go

@[Official]

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

A few leaves and cherry blossoms suddenly stirred on the breeze. They danced and wafted through the air until they apparently hit some large invisible entity that stopped them. The grasses beneath began to grow and climb up what appeared to be thin air, though had a very real shape. Around the God's legs the grasses moved, higher and higher. As the breeze continued more and more blossoms, leaves, and particles of dust began to collect, composing his massive bulk and wings. Out of what appeared to be literally nothing more than fragments around Rasta, the God appeared. His gaze was kind and warm as it fell upon Rasta's unseeing gaze. His nostrils flared slightly, as he let his body rumble with a low frequency to let the mare know precisely where he was.

"You have done well, Rasta. Tell me, how does your soul feel? What have you learned?"

Preparing the girls' soul to accept the bond of another would rest fully on how diligently she had completed her task. If it had been done with half a heart and an eye for greed her soul would not be able to sustain the bond with another living creature. It would tear her apart and likely kill the creature. The God was not prepared to place the life of another in her hands until he was sure.

I'm dead in the water, still looking for ya'

Things changed so drastically. Yet, while it was drastic it was still peaceful. I shuddered away, at first, confused as to what exactly it was I was feeling before me. Were the grasses bending? Growing? Were the leaves hitting something? Should I run, once more? Was I safe? But, as strangely as it had happened, the sudden low frequency reminded me of the bay form of the Earth God. Quietly, my blind gaze searched to meet the vivid emerald I recalled from when I had met him earlier as I allowed my frame to relax in my place.

It was his voice that allowed me to be exactly certain as to who he was. The calm, rumbling voice allowed a gentle smile to lift up the edges of my lips. "You came, sire… Thank you." It was but a whisper, but the gratitude was something clearly present upon it. Alas, he had asked a question and so I would answer. There was a pause as I allowed my eyes to close, to truly think over the words which would fall from my lips. How could someone explain this hole? It had been difficult for Cirrus - but I had felt it so vividly in the way she had changed the weather. Aurelia… she had broken, begged and pleaded for her companion to be healed, taken care of. It seemed as though she had completely broken, shattered, and lost the ability to be reasonable. Phaedra. Yes. She had been the only one truly coherent with words.

No. I wouldn't start there. I would start with the grieving. "For… for a while I thought I was to be truly alone. There seemed to be no way to explain what had happened to me. I felt so lost and I finally realized how large of a hole was inside my heart. I… I wasn't sure I could breathe. The weight of my loss hit me in waves, some days I felt as though I could go on, other days I wanted to do nothing but cry…" I paused, body shuddering at the empty hole that I knew would never really be filled, that I had accepted would never be filled. I forced myself to stop shaking, though. I tried to continue explaining something was nearly impossible to explain unless one had experienced it. "I was shattered. I didn't think anyone would understand, or try to understand. But the two seasons you gave me, with no words to try and explain the brokenness of my heart - of my soul - truly let me grieve. I would never have done it had you not stripped me of the main way we communicate. I would have tried to push it away, and move forth to be strong for everyone else instead of doing the one thing that I truly needed. There were days that I couldn't move, all I could do was cry. But it was also during this time that the desire to have a hawk to always be there for me as my previous one had, that the desire faded. I realized in the beginning that I was clinging to this hope that I'd have someone else who understood me and wouldn't leave me. During this time, however, I realized I already had a good few who did just that. The strong desire to gain another to fill the hole… it left - at least that reason for it left."

I swallowed, mind shifting back to the three whom I had spoken with. "When the seasons were up and I could once again speak I managed to stumble across all three of those whom you said I should speak with. Two of which had lost their companion. Cirrus… she was broken, shattered. She kept begging for her companion to return to her and when I met her she was almost unwilling to accept that she had lost him. She was like me when I first came into these lands to feel our connection severed. I felt the pain she was feeling, for she changed the weather so violently. I knew then that suffering would eternal, that pain would never end. Aurelia… I met her when she lost her companion. She begged and pleaded for her to be saved, but it was to late. She was already dead. I saw mental distress. I tried to help her - to guide her toward grieving because it gave me the clearest picture. I was afraid she might call for revenge, and I said to give her a good funeral. We both apologized for each other's loss, though I knew she was still in shock. I'm hoping that her pain has not eaten her alive as mine almost did to me. I will have to check on her soon - see to it that she has not completely fallen off the edge. And, lastly, I spoke with Phaedra. She was able to speak… find words to fully explain what I was feeling. She spoke of a bridge, being absolutely useless as the bridge broke - not allowing her to get to the other side. How her wings were heavy and she knew she had to get to Stella. She said it was like watching herself die, feeling it - and I cannot argue with that. For when I saw the glowing marking upon my haunches I could feel my soul withering away. There was no more denial - my companion had passed and I truly had felt dead…"

A break. I'm uncertain as to what else to add, but as my mind runs the words I told Phaedra seemed to sum up the change of my soul, of all that I had truly learned. "I know now… that I blame myself for his death - for his loss. My soul burns, like I'm drowning in those flames because it was my fault he died. I want an opportunity to allow another hawk a good life. I will not let him get hurt. I will throw myself in front of whatever danger comes his - or her - way. I will not let them suffer again. I want to help others…"

I pause, bowing my head and allow one last phrase to fall from my lips. "I'm sorry… it is difficult to put into words…" If I had another companion I would do everything to help them. And in the process they may help me. The companion could keep from getting into some of these situations again… it could keep me from hurting those I loved even more from showing up injured or confused. It could help me spread the peace I had begun to start feeling since completing this quest and finally coming to terms with the pain that radiated in my soul.

It would allow me to fully be there for everyone else who needed me…

omg; so long; i'm sorry xD

Image Creds | Coding by Schwartze

God of the Earth Posts: 287
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: 22.0hh :: Ageless
Admin

God of the Earth
Buried in Water and Earth

The God was silent as Rasta spoke. In his paternal wisdom he knew that this was still apart of the grieving process for Rasta. Speaking of what she had gone through, how the past few seasons had shaped and started the process of mending her soul, were just as important as the seasons she spent without a voice. It would all come together for her if her heart truly sought to be healed, her soul would follow. If the mare were not as diligent as the God knew her to be, she would have drown by now. Her soul, tattered and broken as she described it would have been beyond repair. But for the love and temperance and dedication she showed, she had healed herself more than any magic he could have given to her would.

In pained him just as it did her, to hear her speak of those with companions who had been lost - or in the case of Phaedra very nearly lost. The God of the Earth was the keeper of such beings, and he took this role very seriously. Each bond was sacred to him, and each strand that wove two souls together hold some of his magic, some of his essence. When it broke, it was not only the bonded who felt it. The God did as well. "Phaedra..." He mumbled gently, thinking of the mare who was no more. "It is worth considering ... The loss that you - Aurelia and Cirrus - have felt at the loss of a companion. Your souls are strong enough, for the most part, to bear such a tragedy. You might feel broken, battered, and incomplete having suffered an insurmountable loss but for the companions ... Their souls cannot bear the loss of the bond. When Phaedra was murdered, Stella was murdered too in a way ... Her soul could not sustain life without the connection that had resonated within her very core."

Sighing, the God wearily shook his bearded head. Now was not the time for lectures. Rasta knew perhaps better than most the obligations and costs of a life with (and without) a companion. "Remember that. The cost is not merely to you, but to those who are bonded to your soul as well."

A genuinely joyful smile parted the God's large lips as he let his sadness fall off of his robust shoulders like an avalanche. The weight of the murders and the loss of more creatures was not one he would ponder now. Not when Rasta had triumphed so marvelously at her task.

"I am pleased with you Rasta. You have done what I have asked in spades." An earthen wing pulled away from his flanks, cradling a small egg. It was warm with life and nearly ready to hatch. "For you." He offered gently. Moving towards the mare with ease and grace, he lowered his muzzle to her wither. Exhaling against the pale flesh, a bundle of flowers bloomed and painlessly intertwined in her mane. With the love and care of an adoring parent, the God placed the egg into what now appeared to be an organic pouch of sorts, elegantly comprised of Rasta's golden mane and small white flowers.

Congratulations! Rasta has received her companion! She has also received a clump of white flowers from the Earth God. They will remain in her mane until the egg hatches. At that point they will grow together into one single solitary blossom that will never wither. If you like, it can stay attached to her mane, or she may keep it elsewhere.

He was quiet while I spoke. It was as if he knew that, even through my pauses, it was difficult to find the right way to word the bubbling emotions that were flickering around inside my cranium. Grateful. Yes, I was grateful that he cared enough to let me fumble for words instead of trying to dismiss me.

However, he spoke of Phaedra - saying that she had been murdered. Shock filled my features, shock and pain for the mare who had gone through so much. "That's… awful." I breathed, eyes shutting for a second as I felt him shake his head - a sigh reaching the air before his words. A reminder that the pain is not just for me, but for my companion as well. "I will, sire. I will do my best to keep the same pain from reaching either of us again…" and my blind eyes opened, gaze searching for his emerald one as a sign of respect even though I knew it would not look as though I were focused upon him.

He spoke more, saying that he was pleased with me and I could only bow my head, words stuck in my throat. I could feel his wing move away to reveal an egg in his clutches. He said it was for me and there were tears welling in my eyes from gratitude and shock. I still hadn't been completely certain he'd be able to give me another one. But, as he came over to me, allowing his breath to flood across my withers I didn't even flinch. Normally I would have, from fear. But, because of the peace that radiated around his form I found no reason to predict pain. And, when I felt him move back I could also feel the egg held in what seemed to be a pouch of flowers that was entwined in my mane. "Thank you, sire. Thank you so much. If I can ever do something to repay you let me know - I will do my best. This means the world," And a few tears fall - but they weren't tears of pain anymore. No, they were finally tears of joy. A gentle smile was spread across my lips as I delicately pressed my maw against the egg, feeling its warmth and movement. It would hatch soon - but it wouldn't be alone. I wouldn't let it be alone. And, I would do my best to make the God of the Earth proud, for they both deserved it…