the Rift

[OPEN] sew the seams shut -- hatching

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I took the egg, for it's gentle song had remained in my head as the black stallion turned his body and left. It was then that I knew this was my egg now, my friend and companion until the end. My heart had stopped and I had let my jaw go slack, nothing else mattered but the egg's sweet melody, and I took it gingerly within the crevice of my wing to take home. I can feel it wiggle gently as I trot home, being careful to keep the egg close to my body so that it may use my body heat to keep itself warm, and so it was secure and would not tumble out along the way.

I return to the Throat but a few days later, egg tucked within my wing and my smile still bright. The journey across Helovia had been long as I traveled over the ground rather than taking to the skies as I normally would have. All I could think of was seeking Aurelia and showing her the egg, telling her that the future child of ours was to be safe, protected by whatever being grew beneath the thin shell of the egg. I worked my way over the border, crimson hooves engulfed in sparks as they strike the dry sand, my wings itching to be opened, wanting nothing more than to raise me above the earth and take me through the clouds. The egg shook gently as we approached the middle of the Throat, the oasis shimmering with a longing to wrap me up in paradise, to keep me cool beneath the shade of the plants and within reach of clear waters.

I reach the glorious shade of the brush, pulling leaves from the nearest plants, laying them within the shade and pressing my hoof within the center of the leaves. I wove small feathers from my wings within the nest as well, carefully rolling the egg into it's place. Taking time to fix up the nest so that the egg was better placed within it, I raise my head to let loose a soft neigh, a call for Aurelia. I can't wait to show her the egg I had received, to tell her that this is the creature that will watch over our child, and that our story had been the tale that the egg favoured, that it was our lives that influenced the egg's desire to join our little broken family.

A gently shimmy and shake, the egg rocking leisurely within my silly little nest, a crack splitting within the egg. My heart skips a beat, and my eyes growing wide as I bend down to gaze at the smooth surface of the egg, watching it crack and crumble. My nose reaches the egg, rubbing over the smooth surface in time to feel a crack form beneath it. Pulling back I watch a small beak rise from the shell, a pink tongue slithering within the gaping mouth. I turn away to push some of the rocks around the lake over, finding a few worms squirming through the moist sand that kisses the gently lapping water. I pick the worm up within my teeth, feeling it wiggle against my tongue as I set it on a rock, slamming my hoof over it until it was a lumpy pink mush. Pushing the little flat rock over to the nest, I look at the little black head that had risen from the pale eggshell, chirping as it crawled out, tiny toes curled as it fell to the edge of the nest, its two pairs of wings flapping as it began to teeter of the side of the nest. Pushing my nose to it, I felt something within my begin to surge. At the faint touch my body shook and trembled, my mind expanding to make room for one more, soul tearing at the seams as it's tethered to the chick before me. My heart races, rhythm in sync with the tiny heart beat of the hatchling. My eyes close as I'm overcome with a need to lay down and rest, eye lids heavy as I stand before the chick. I seem to be there for a while, falling asleep as my mind fogs up, thoughts unclear for the time being. Tiny talons dig into the bridge of my nose as the chick climbs up my face, a tiny piece of worm stuck to the corner of her beak. Yseult, the name cuts through the blurred thoughts in my head, clear and vibrant against the dark.

Yseult. The name sits within my head, my tongue rolling over is as I say it over and over, finally deciding that was the name meant for the little four winged friend. "Welcome to the Throat, Yseult." The midnight hued hatchling nestled within my forelock between my ears, having briefly perched on my horn. She gave a multitude of chirps, flapping her many wings as I raised my head. I could feel her emotions, wondrous excitement and fantastical curiosity coursing through me as I take a step forward, sharp little talons digging through my hair and into my skin as I took a few steps away from the make shift nest and shattered egg shell.

"blah blah blah."

ooc: @[Bucephalus] hope its ok this also doubles as their meeting thread cx
word count: 885

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
A M P E R E
"Any existence deprived of freedom is a kind of death" -- Michel Aoun

She watches for a while, curious in its most simple of forms. Ampere had never witnessed a hatching before. She'd stumbled upon Destry's after watching her finish making her nest. That along had intrigued Ampere, was she due for a foal soon? It became quickly apparent however that the egg that the mare protected so carefully was not of her own making though. Companion, Ampere knew instantly, crumpling inwardly like a bright star imploding after it finally burned itself out. A cold fire spread all along her insides, prickling her into a numbness of despair. While Destry's soul was destined to grow, Ampere's heart shriveled.

For a moment she considered running over and stealing the egg away; Destry was so preoccupied with perfecting the nest and he egg's hatching that she left it a few times. Ampere's gut wrenched at the thought though, knowing that it would not help, not ultimately anyway. Her childish outbursts from the past had landed her nowhere, she had learned that much. Still, she couldn't fight the feeling building up inside of her, wrecking her.

Why does no one else understand? she thought sadly, leaning against a nearby tree for support. It was then that the shell began to rupture, the casing began to rock. Destry's excitement, her pride, her goodwill, it all was so obvious to see in her. Ampere swayed unsteadily, sick, but rooted. She wanted to see, wanted to know what it was like when two souls bonded and a life was forever shunted. It was already too late anyway, if the Earth God was right. The egg had chosen Destry - was that a choice Ampere could even break once it was made?

She snorted, uncertain and feeling like watching this heinous act unfurl made her just as much of a heartless criminal (yet what vigilante justice had she bestowed upon companions thus far?). She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts, or rather, trying to pick them out from the stew of emotions.

It happened ingloriously, the bond. There was no shaft of light, no inner glow, not even dust stirred. Was the bond, the sealed fate of an innocent creature, really so plain? It almost seemed... insignificant.

Too late now, she knew for certain. Nothing could be taken back from this point forward, but could Destry at least do better than others had? Possibly, but was Ampere really the one fit to teach her? Her mind flicked to the discussion she'd had with Africa, when both had risen to lead. She'd wanted a Tamer rank then, someone well versed with companions, for the better of all. Africa had agreed, but then Ampere had selfishly left and she knew now the rank had been forgotten. Even she didn't feel up to the task of such a duty, never having trained one before, never wanting to. Still, were there things she could do to help companions? More than she had been? She'd been too self absorbed lately, but this birth of slavery she'd witnessed rattled her core with a reminder of her purpose.

Casually she strode towards the dark pegasus, her head bobbing in greeting. "Take care of her," Ampere offered after a moment of silence in which she regarded the chick on Destry's head. She didn't offer congratulations - they weren't in store. "I know that seems obvious, but I mean it. You're all she'll ever know, so you have to teach her everything. It's not like foals that go out on their own in time, she's your shadow now... teach her kindness, and love, and show her the world. Control your emotions, because they'll affect her. Avoid pain, because it will hurt her." Ampere sighed, stopping. She looked away, eyes glassy. "This is bigger than you know." She finally said.

It seemed to be bigger than anyone knew with how carelessly bonds were forged in this damn land.

Credits: Image by Tabini
Coding by Tamme

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.