the Rift

[OPEN] Want Your Feeling [Welcoming]

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds

Elation was all that the young sleuth could muster after such a successful venture to the Threshold. With such a beautiful mare smiling back her, the bay felt quite prideful in her newest “recruit.” She in fact abhorred the term but was uncertain if she was yet willing to call Syrena sister. She possessed obvious charm and intelligence, beauty and determination… but there had to be something lurking in her shadow that Essetia had overlooked, or perhaps had wanted to ignore. Either way, she was most certain that her lovely companion would find refuge and peace in the Hidden Falls, or so she hoped. She wished Syrena to remain friend and companion for some time to come.

Soft, flute-like words had armed Essetia with the permission she’d been seeking to flee the claiming grounds and with Romul trailing behind, the bay gestured toward the path from which she’d come. “After you,” she smiled. “Keep straight, I’m right behind you,” Essetia offered with more confidence than previously revealed.

The rocky slopes of their home were not far from the Threshold and Essetia did not often engage conversation upon journey home, but this mare was different. She was clearly something else, even if the bay could not place a finger on what. “Might I ask… why is it that you seek water?” she attempted casually. She did not want to appear ignorant or base but it yet remained unclear as to why a horse would intend to nest in any manner of the term. Syrena did not appear to be with foal… so, the closer they grew to the Falls, the more Essetia questioned the peculiar woman.

And where is it you come from?” she added moments later.

Romul refused to join in on his companion’s badgering but at times would sigh in response to Essetia’s wayward thoughts. She had clearly become quite taken with Syrena… and the wolf could only partake in her fascination for a short time.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Syrena]

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Syrena Posts: 207
Dragon's Throat Forger
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 hh :: 7 years
Thelxiepeia :: Royal Rougarou :: Water Kyra
<style type="text/css">.border{position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;padding: 20px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;border: 1px solid #06061E;background: #06061E url('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/ruinedecho/Patterns/tileable_midnight_blue_grunge_pattern_13_zpsff7712a1.jpg');border: 1px solid #06061E;}.container {position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;background: #06061E;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;box-shadow: 0 0 4px 2px #446576;}.container p {margin: 0;}.image {width: 550px;margin-bottom: -70px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;}.gradient {position: absolute;z-index: 5;top: 370px;width: 550px;height: 200px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%, rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%, rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(6,6,30,0)), color-stop(12%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12)), color-stop(100%,rgba(6,6,30,1)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#0006061e', endColorstr='#06061e',GradientType=0 );}.message {position: relative;z-index: 10;text-align: justify;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 20px;padding-bottom: 8px;color: #446576;}.name {position: relative;z-index: 15;padding: 0px;bottom: 5px;left: -20px;font: 32px 'Nothing You Could Do', serif;color: #557F95;text-shadow: 6px 6px 7px #263948;}.quote {position: absolute;z-index: 20;bottom: 3px;left: 230px;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 0px;color: #384F3F;font-style: italic;}</style>

Regal head was dipped in acknowledgement of Essetia motioning the way to go and Syrena fell into an easy gait along that direction. She would have hoped to have found somewhere by now but at least they were a little bit closer – this intriguing mare had painted quite the scene for her of – what was it again – the Hidden Falls and she was truly looking forward to seeing it.

As they travelled, it would seem that curiosity had gotten the better of Essetia and a couple questions were asked. “Do you really not know?” Syrena had to remind herself that maybe, just maybe, she was the first of her sisters to have ventured this far west. Perhaps Essetia had no idea what a siren was, or a kelpie. It was just so strange to her. She quite liked the idea of being the first, of introducing Helovia to the majesty that was her kind. Perhaps if it were bountiful enough she could start a new colony here. But those were thoughts for another time. Essetia had been useful enough so far, there was no harm in answering a few questions. Talking about herself would be a welcome distraction from how utterly strange it was to be travelling with another mare and a wolf.

“I’m a siren. Do you have any others here? I need water to… perform.” She paused, thinking about it, and then continued in a very matter-of-fact way, as if it were the most normal thing in the world. “To harvest the souls I need to survive.” There were no qualms with sharing this information with Essetia. As a mare, she was hardly a threat nor was she in any sort of danger.

Of course, Syrena had no idea that no one in Helovia was in any sort of danger from her. But the time was drawing near, she would undoubtedly find out before too long.

She continued as they picked their way towards Essetia’s home. “My diet is also primarily composed of water plants, so it just makes sense to have them readily available.” When she wasn’t harvesting souls she was harvesting water spinach or hornwort. Quite the diverse menu.

It did not bother her in the slightest to be asked multiple questions and she would happily answer. “From the east somewhere, I never really paid much attention to the names of the lands I wandered through. I’ve been a nomad, switching scenery every season or so.”

Bar any further questions on her guide’s part, she had one of her own. “Have you been in the Falls for very long?” Though it might not be her preference for the focus of the conversation to shift to anyone but herself, Syrena had to admit she was a little curious about Essetia and this place. What had she wandered into? Was she going to have to do a little more adapting than she was used to? It was fun, putting no effort into catching souls and drowning stallions, but the idea of a challenge was rather exciting.

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Reli

Syrena was matter of fact and wholly honest when it came to her surprise in lieu of Essetia’s prodding. It struck the big bay as odd because all she had ever known was Helovia (albeit a brief stint in the Wilds). Did creatures exist outside of her narrow world, her fantastical imagination? She didn’t want to believe it so because with fascination and wonder came danger and fear. Essetia didn’t want to think about what kind of creatures lurked in Syrena’s wake… surely if such beauty existed elsewhere, monstrosities did too. “I’m not sure I know what you mean,” the badger-faced girl offered. Was there something she was missing? Something she should already know?

Essetia was taken aback when the older mare admitted her lineage (even if Essetia didn’t quite understand what a Siren was meant to do just yet). She faltered in their ascent to the Falls but tried to regain herself as gracefully as her large hooves would allow. But nothing could prepare her for Syrena’s next confession… Souls? She harvested souls? What did that mean?

The bay glanced down at Romul who had fallen into step beside her but he kept his golden eyes fixed ahead, more than likely trying to understand the concept of a “Siren” himself. Without any support from her companion, Essetia glanced back to Syrena, eyes wide. “You… need… souls to survive?” she whispered appalled. It took all of her willpower to remain at the mare’s side, to continue guiding her to the Hidden Falls, to her home.

Was it something Ghost would know of? Perhaps the elders of Helovia would better understand this peculiar creature… but then again, Essetia was unsure anyone would be able to come to terms with Syrena’s diet. She was having a time of it after all…

The bay’s ears tilted once more to the sound of her new companion’s song, this time a little more wary than before. However, this new bit of information was less startling to Essetia… even if she couldn’t quite force herself to understand Syrena’s need to “harvest” anything other than vegetation. At least she desired aquatic plants as a secondary choice of nutrition. But Essetia was still so very confused. Were equines not herbivores?

Apparently some defied logic.

Why… or… what would possess you to consume souls?” Essetia attempted again in obvious disbelief. Was it magic that allowed her to draw life from another or just her own, twisted imagination?

When the mare had been kind enough to ignore Essetia’s apparent discomfort and proffer more answers to ease the bay’s curious mind, Essetia finally turned her pale eyes toward her. Her insight did little to help Essetia fathom what lands had hosted such unfavorable circumstances though. The East… anything could reside in the East and it would only serve to haunt Essetia from this day on. “A nomad who harvests souls…” Essetia mused humorously. It all sounded so ludicrous, so inhumane.

But with conversation veering sharply from Syrena to Essetia’s own dull existence in the Falls, the bay was more than happy to oblige the “soul eater”, lest she decide to rob Essetia of her soul. “I’ve called the Falls home for a few months now. It’s a pleasant place to be… peaceful, if you will.” She admitted on a breath. Though she did miss her previous home in the Edge, the Falls had proved to soothe her restless mind and wayward intentions.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Syrena]

Dragon's Throat Forger
<style type="text/css">.border{position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;padding: 20px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;border: 1px solid #06061E;background: #06061E url('http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/ruinedecho/Patterns/tileable_midnight_blue_grunge_pattern_13_zpsff7712a1.jpg');border: 1px solid #06061E;}.container {position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 550px;background: #06061E;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;box-shadow: 0 0 4px 2px #446576;}.container p {margin: 0;}.image {width: 550px;margin-bottom: -70px;border-radius: 300px 300px 0 0;}.gradient {position: absolute;z-index: 5;top: 370px;width: 550px;height: 200px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%, rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%, rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(6,6,30,0)), color-stop(12%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12)), color-stop(100%,rgba(6,6,30,1)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(6,6,30,0) 0%,rgba(6,6,30,0.12) 12%,rgba(6,6,30,1) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#0006061e', endColorstr='#06061e',GradientType=0 );}.message {position: relative;z-index: 10;text-align: justify;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 20px;padding-bottom: 8px;color: #446576;}.name {position: relative;z-index: 15;padding: 0px;bottom: 5px;left: -20px;font: 32px 'Nothing You Could Do', serif;color: #557F95;text-shadow: 6px 6px 7px #263948;}.quote {position: absolute;z-index: 20;bottom: 3px;left: 230px;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 0px;color: #384F3F;font-style: italic;}</style>

Never heard of a siren? Essetia admitted that she wasn’t sure she knew that Syrena meant, which was oddly delightful. She wondered just how much she was going to be willing to share with this one. Would she tell it all, eager to push the limits and see just how much it would take for the invitation to the Hidden Falls to be revoked? “Monsters, Essetia, my family are monsters. Stories used to scare foals but where I come from – they exist.” She was so in love with the idea of introducing that entire world to someone that there was hardly even any passion in her voice, just calm explanations. She craved Essetia’s shock and most of all her awe. Syrena did not know she could want so much from another, yet here she was – being led into a strange land untouched by the magic she knew.

The little tidbit about the souls seemed to be particularly shocking, and Syrena had to do her best not to show her own discomfort – to not let her own hooves stumble on the rocky pathway. Was it really that strange? Surely it would make her work a little easier if it was unexpected but… Syrena hadn’t been expecting to be the only omnivore. “It’s a magic we do.” She was quick to explain when prompted about what would possess her to consume souls. “As a siren, or a kelpie, we live in ponds – we’re tied to a body of water because that is where our food source is. We eat the vegetation, yes, but we drown others to stay young – the life we take from them flows into us and we get the years they would have lived.”

Dark grey eyes watched her companion for a reaction, utterly confused as to why this would be a shock. It was natural. “It’s the way I was built to survive.” Predators, in whatever shape they took, provided balance to the world. Syrena may indeed have more in common with a spider than she did with the mare currently leading the way along a tricky path, but she could not live among spiders or converse with them. For whatever reason her form was primarily equine so it was among them she was more likely to be accepted.

Though she had to wonder if, perhaps, Essetia wasn’t feeling quite so accepting anymore. She found that, in this moment, one thing that she did not crave from Essetia was the other mare’s discomfort. “You’re in no danger from me, Essetia. Males are my targets.”

For a brief moment, she considered offering the promise to not hunt within the Hidden Falls as a sign of respect for Essetia but… well, perhaps a little later in their conversation. She had mentioned it was a peaceful land and, certainly, she had a couple questions that she could ask about it but there was one she most wanted to bring up in this moment. “Are there many of them around here?” The question was asked in an innocent voice but the accompanying smile was wicked.

A poor joke, though the scaled mare was quite amused.

@[Essetia]

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

Essetia and Syrena were born of opposing sides concerning death; one was meant to take it between her fingers and the other was meant to march valiantly toward it. Yet, they had merged upon a singular path that ruled out expectation and reason as… Friends? Whatever they were, Essetia wanted to know more. Perhaps it was the darkness that curled sickly from the recesses of her mind that urged her toward question, toward unnatural enthusiasm. It appeared a violent secret between them that would not fall so easily upon foreign ears. How would Midas and Ghost receive a mare that claimed to feast so naturally on the soul of another?

But Syrena had clearly come from a brutal childhood… Perhaps that had been what had forced Essetia’s hand. Whatever the nature of her affection though, it was certainly something that bore an undeniable bond between she and the stranger. “I’m sorry,” Essetia soothed on a sigh. Her pale eyes had turned to find Syrena with compassion and understanding, for she too believed her family ascended from creatures of similar nature. They were not monsters of a child’s worst nightmare… but they did seem to leave a foul taste upon her own tongue. Did that not count?

When silence had graced the pair, the siren was quick to find it filled with explanation… But little did she know that Essetia had waited patiently for such ends. “That’s… so horribly beautiful,” she breathed. “But that begs the question of your actual age… how old are you?” Essetia pressed more urgently than before. It was clear that Syrena had ensnared her young protégé with the honest truth and that was enough for Essetia to feel comfortable with her own curiosities.

Time had passed too quickly for Essetia and as she and Syrena neared the Hidden Falls, she was suddenly panicked by the idea of leaving such sensitive conversation unattended. Romul had ambled behind them quietly, but at the sight of home his thoughts began to stir nervously. He too appeared tense about Syrena’s arrival to their place of refude but his companion did not let him fret for long. She’ll fit right in Romul, she lied. You forget shared mind, he retorted amusedly. Essetia nearly laughed at the mistake- she’d been known to forget herself at times, especially when excited or distracted.

However, the Sleuth did not falter upon reaching her borders. Instead, she surged onward with a certain confidence that saw her through the waterfall and into the caves that tunneled into the oasis of the Falls. When she’d broached the lightened caverns that gaped at the lands beyond, she turned to Syrena in time to catch her quiet assurances. Her mouth hung slack at the siren’s admission because she had come slowly to realization… If Syrena desired males, did that mean she sought to lure strong brothers of the Falls into her waiting bed?

Essetia pondered the new confession for a time before relying on blind faith to cure the churning of her stomach. “I would see my family spared from your activities as well… but know that you too are now part of it all,” the mare smiled as she led Syrena into the green expanse of her home. The rushing of distant waterfalls drowned out the quiet whispers of the breeze and Essetia hoped that Syrena would welcome the sound. “Welcome home my friend,” she stated jovially. “, don’t overindulge your appetites. Some of those studs might be a fancy of mine,” she finally laughed.

Where they would go from there, Essetia was unsure. But at least they’d paved the way toward sisterhood.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Syrena]

Dragon's Throat Forger

Essetia was sorry? For what? That her family was monsters, she must not have understood. That was just the way things were, there wasn’t anything evil about it. Certainly nothing to be sorry for. Syrena wasn’t sorry but she did not react to this apology - Essetia was fascinating but certainly proving that horses, or whatever this mare considered herself, were strange creatures indeed.

She laughed once, a tinkling sound, at the question about her age. Unfortunately, this time, the answer to Essetia’s question was not very impressive at all. “Oh I’ve only seen six summers, I’m still actually young.” Truthfully, Syrena had not had to yet take the lives of many. The first was a lesson, she needed to know how to do it, and the others… well, the others just sort of happened.

They travelled along and soon Syrena saw just how wonderful of a home Essetia had. She followed her guide diligently, curiosity mounting, until they came to the waterfall. A private, inward grin at the sight of all that water and - of course - at the chance to show off a little bit for Essetia. After a slight hesitation Syrena moved through the cascade - the cool water instantly transforming her dull grey coat and hair into kaleidoscopes of blues and purples where it hit her coat, leaving trails of colour as it ran down towards her hooves.

Would that impress her new friend? She hoped so. Pausing, posing even, on the other side she responded to Essetia’s request to not hunt the stallions here with an agreeable note. “You’ve been kind enough to allow me into your home, I’ll respect that by not setting up within the Falls. I’ve never been a part of a herd before,” Though for all of Essetia’s talk of family, Syrena did not believe that she would actually be a part of her herd. She was a shark and those here were just prey, she did not belong with them. Surely she wouldn’t be able to live here.

“I don’t want to take up too much of your time, and I’m quite hungry.” A reflective pause before adding, carefully, “For plants.” It was odd, having to be careful. But she suspected that her welcome would run out quickly if she started taking out the members of Essetia’s “family” and until she figured out just what sort of place this was - already there were dozens of assumptions - it would be best to have somewhere to retreat to and a friendly face she could call upon if she needed answers. This mare didn’t seem like prey, not like those horses she was used to seeing, but still… she mustn’t let herself get too attached. “Perhaps later we will meet again? I would like that very much.” She offered with a sliver of a smile, not expecting to be refused. There were questions she needed to ask about herd life, tips and tricks on how she could fit in and not draw attention to herself but as much as Syrena was growing fond (in a way) of Essetia she rather looked forward to exploring on her own for a little while.

Syrena

let the water take me

image credits

Please tag in all posts
Image by Reli

She was grateful for the opportunity to meet the silver siren and hidden beneath the layers of their conversation, the Sleuth tried to pretend that the siren felt much the same. However, just as everyone else in the realm of life and death, Essetia and Syrena would have to part ways. They had both allowed one another the chance to trust and grow within the Falls… and where that would lead them, Essetia was unsure, but it was a blooming friendship at least. She had share and she had learned once again to listen to the tales of another- that was the best any recruiter could hope for.

Perhaps their paths would cross once again in the near future (aside from casual encounters within the exotic depths of their home) and they would once again share a common road. Until then, it was safe to say that Essetia would remember the siren and the things she’d come to know of her. “I would like that,” the Sleuth offered by way of partial farewell. She was certain that should the other wish it, Essetia would come calling on more than one occasion…

Romul had also taken quite a liking to the mare, which was not often something the wolf was compelled to do. Whether or not that had something to do with the siren’s purpose, it was something that further enforced Essetia’s fondness of the woman. “Be safe until we meet again,” Essetia stated while turning toward the herd land’s heart. Syrena was most certainly capable of finding her way to the nearby waterways of the Falls… of that the Sleuth had no doubt.

Essetia
image credits
Table by Nicole (Niki)

@[Syrena]
ooc| Just wanted to get a closing post up! Sorry for the wait and crap-tastic post!