the Rift

[OPEN] The Challenges of Medical School

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

Sikeax

Turn everything off
And just cover your neck
Cause life is full of your regrets

Throughout the night, there had been clicks of raindrops against stone and bursts of light as lightning ignited the sky, a slow storm that halted all progress and gave reason for a lazy night. She'd been patient as her light kept her company through the endless hours of darkness. By morning, it had been reduced into nothing but peace and a thin layer of humidity that made venturing out to outer reaches of the desert to the sea almost miserable under the sun. Coyotes howled in the distance, giving more to wanting to stay near the oasis.
The hours finally gave way to one thing: herbs. What did lie around near the oasis had already been gathered from the outskirts, whether she or one of the other healers had done so. They were becoming her life force, what was kind enough to be her friend when she wasn't busy spending time napping. What the Sun Physicans before her had taught her was miminal and almost useless, except for Andromeda. The idea makes her grow sick in the pits of her stomach, morphing into something bitter that she makes note to remove at the first chance.
Stuffing whatever herbs she could fit within her mouth and neglecting the old time practice of working them into her hair, she deposits them along a section of limestone. Mint rolls between her teeth and grazes her to tongue to work the aftertaste of herbs from her mouth, giving her breath a slightly better scent compared to whatever previous scent haunted the orafice.
"Healers! Your presence is requested as to learn of the local herbs and their uses." The raised call of her voice offers her a harsh effect, striking her vocal cords with a rough touch. She steps back and waits, sighing in annoyance at the lack of teachings given by those before her.

OOC: Learning thread for local herbs throughout the Dragon's Throat. Anyone is welcome but healers and those wishing to take an interest in healing are required.
If you have an active absent thread with a reason for being out for the time period that this occurs, then you don't have to post here.

Herbs:
Aloe Vera
Anise
Boswellia
Devil's Claw
Myrrh
Stevia
Thyme
Basil
Oregano

@[Alija] @[Morrigan]
coding
images

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed

Morrigan Posts: 93
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 16 hands :: 7 Orangemoons HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Pongo :: Bongo :: None Xyroca
Things had been going rather rough for me as of late, and unfortunately the majority of the misery was my own fault. I had put too many of my emotions into the relationships with certain members, or rather one particular member, of the herd. Yes, it was my own fault for investing said emotions even when I knew better than to do so. It was a harsh, self-taught lesson for putting too much hope and trust into someone so early. You would think, given my history, I would have learned my lesson by now. I should have learned by now, but for some reason I ended up burned every time. It was like I was addicted to the pain, addicted to the hollow, hopelessness that further pushed me to feel sorry for myself.

What was wrong with me? Why was I so desperate for the need of my own self pity? It wasn't for the sake of receiving mercy or pity from others, or at least I never felt that way. Yet here I lay in the sands, lightly pushing tiny little dunes with my muzzle back and forth as I thought. My nose was going to be rubbed raw by the time I figured out why I always seemed to act the way that I did, hell I'd sand it down to the bone before I would ever be able to solve that problem. But...what if that was my problem? Was I actually addicted to the pain? To the pity? Had I grown so used to the emotional baggage and turmoil in my youth that I felt dysfunctional without it now that I was fully grown. My auds pinned back with shame at the thought, tucking my legs even closer to my belly as I prayed that that was not the case. It was a shame, how uncomfortable I was now. I felt unable to turn to anyone, to talk to a friend that could tell me 'you're acting like an idiot.' or 'don't worry, it will get better.' Advice, comfort, or even a proper scolding when I needed it. I would take any of it right now, for the ability to always have someone to trust and turn to.

I needed someone to fix me. I couldn't help myself.

And there I was, continuing the same destructive cycle as I buried a little shallow into the sands. If it weren't for the barking order of a female's voice, I would have probably continued to stay there wallowing. A command for the healers, given by a voice that I didn't really recognize. With a large 'oomph', I pulled myself to my feet to follow the direction of the call. In retrospect, I owed the owner of that voice a favor for enabling me to get off my ass. To be honest, I almost forgot that I was a healer of these lands. Nothing had ever been needed of me, and the Sun Physician that I had only heard the name of seemed to have disappeared. Had that person returned?

Crossing over the final dune, my eyes widened at the site of a slightly familiar looking vixen waiting for the healers to join. The opportunity to meet this very young mare had never represented itself, and I was a little surprised to see that she was the one waiting for us. Trotting up to the selection of herbs and plants, I found myself quite unfamiliar with most of them. Some of them smelled lovely, while a couple of others...I could have done without. Lifting my gaze to the young one, I dipped my muzzle towards her. "Good afternoon, I am Morrigan. Are we waiting on any others?" I asked quietly, glancing to my sides to see that I was the first to have joined her. I couldn't have been the only one expected to be here...Wasn't that large purple mare a healer too? Scarlet orbs scanned the horizon for any sign of the colorful draft.
[Image: spiderglowingsoftly_by_schwartze-d82gn7s.gif]

Verbal/Physical Abuse permitted, no permanently injuring or killing please.

Cerin Posts: 45
Hidden Account atk: 4.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17 Hands :: Three (Orangemoon) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Klare

Lingering in the Throat did have its perks. He got to watch everyone running and preparing for anything and everything. Every so often he would see someone doing something that piqued his interest, but he was far to nervous to approach them in this state. Spice and Sikeax made up the entirety of his friend group, and both, he was certain, were off doing something important and life changing while he sat with not a single special talent to his name. In the past, his mother had done some cool things with plants that made people feel better, and he loved watching her make these concoctions. Sometimes they were something the patients ate, while other times it was a mushy looking gloop that she would spread over a wound. That was all he could remember though, the actions were the only thing that stuck.

Thus, he'd always wondered why certain plants had cool properties to them while other times they were to be avoided. When he had begun to eat, he was herded to eat certain things and other things his mother would run to him and shepherd him out of their path. This world was full of mysteries just waiting to be explored.

It was then that a familiar voice had called out to the Throat. She was looking for healers. That sounded kind of familiar. Was that the thing that used plants to help people? Helping and Healer sounded close, so were they just called different things here? He debated at first, reigning himself in from possible humiliation. On the other hand, he did know that voice, so he was less likely to be treat as an invalid in her presence. She had defended him from Gaucho. Picking up a quick pace, he followed her voice. Ironic that the one who couldn't talk relied on the voices to lead him places.

It was mere moments later that she came into view, as well as someone else. He glanced towards Sikeax before looking at the other. Her back was laced with a weird pattern, reminiscent of the sticky things that captured the bugs at home. He tilted his head, but continued to approach, assuming that Sikeax wouldn't be with her if she was going to hurt anyone. As he approached, he stopped a few feet short from the group, as to not intrude. He was just very interested in what they were discussing. Maybe then he could find something to do here.

"blah blah blah."
Tag;; @[]
Words;; 410
Notes;;

Image by semperfiesty @ DA

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno

Sikeax

Turn everything off
And just cover your neck
Cause life is full of your regrets

It is not hours nor is it days that it takes for Morrigan and Scarecrow to join her, lacking the presence of Alija. Had one of her healers strayed from her task and decided to skip out on a meeting? She'd have to check on the mare at some point to assure that all was well and nothing had gone amiss. Those that had come before her as of the moment were her true focuses.
Smiles are granted to them, Scarecrow warming her heart when he comes to her. The colt was growing, and despite the lack of vocal activity from him, she cared for him more than she did most within the herd. He had become her child, brother even of sorts, after the day that she had stepped before Gaucho to assure his acceptance. She would not fail him.
"Hello, Morrigan, Scarecrow. I'm Sikeax, but you may know me as Sia. Do either of you know where Alija is?" She was supposed to care about the whereabouts of her herdmembers, but was this nosy? The violet vixen was supposed to have arrived when she had been called for. At least Morrigan and Scarecrow proved loyal, even if the boy might just be curious as of the things going about within his new home.
Enough time was given for the others to join their party, and she wasn't going to hold up her lessons due to a single student's absence.
"Do either of you know what these herbs are?" Motioning with her horn, the blue light casts over the assortment and ignites their details. She expected Morrigan to understand them minutely in that she was a healer living within the Throat. This was their home and the herbs grew without containment with an annual growing period. "Each and every one of these herbs before us grow within some part of the Throat, and most have year long growing periods. Herbs will not always be at your disposal, and yet while magic given by the Sun God is useful, it's best to still use your herbs. In case of quick situations, it's best to know their use and location. As of knowing what they are exactly, do you know their purposes and places of growth?"
She tries to sound stern, like a teacher who knows what she is doing exactly, but deep down, a coil tightens within her stomach because she has never spoken before a group. Social anxiety was a bitch even if you have someone with you that you can trust.
Please, at least let them know a few of them so that it doesn't appear I've failed my job as Sun Physican before.

OOC: Feel free to pull a few herbs of the list to search around online and study them. Your characters aren't expected to know every single one on the list, but knowing/recognizing one or two would be great.
coding
images

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed