the Rift

[THROAT] Chase away the darkness

Sardonyx Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
His large hooves pushed into the ground while he walked, he glanced around at terrain that was truly unfamiliar to him. Stopping he raised his large skull up, nostrils flaring to take in the scents around him. Nostrils quivering he lowered his head and kept walking, carefully he flicked his tail and trotted forward his hulking body pushing him further forward and deeper into the forest. Lowering his head he stopped his rapid trot and lipped at the bush. [undefined=undefined]Ew, what a horrid taste.[/undefined] He thought and tossed his head up a bit of saliva dripping from his lips, shaking his head he looked up wondering how he had gotten here. Glancing back the way he came he frowned and began to walk in a circle, he just wanted to see his friend again and he had a feeling that wouldn't happen. Pinning his ears to his skull he snorted and lifting a leg stamped at the ground, coat twitching he glanced around carefully and warily. With nothing insight that he new about he raised his head up higher and half reared, looking around he still couldn't see anything and with an annoyed huff dropped down to his normal height. The tip of one leg lifted as he stood there now resting and relaxing, his ear twitched forward and he flared the nostrils on his muzzle. Blowing air from his nose he listened for the sounds around him to change, his ears went back and he sighed. Yes this was to be very interesting indeed. Shaking his head he moved forward lowering his skull to the earth, he grazed on the grass he could find which was every where but one spot in the shade seemed to taste the best to him. His long tail happily swished back and forth while he chewed the grass, his ears twitched back as he stood there grazing happily.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

The earth was yet to harden after a season spent festering beneath all encompassing snow – Hector was surprised. As he stepped between towering pines that shared no similar residue, he cast glance after long wary glance down at the slick mud that emerged only as his slipping stride forced aside old leaf litter. There was no hiding his path on this occasion; it was hopelessly erratic, so much so that he wondered if taking to the heavens would be a cleaner option. His ornate, coppery wingspan sat high across his spine, ready and waiting; though when the giant had suffered all he thought he could possibly bare of the primitive travel-style, the scent trail he had been so determined to find filled his nostrils.

Someone has passed by here recently... he informed his invisible companion, who slithered nearer inquisitively. Against the old bark, and snagged securely between it’s rough corrugation was the stench of thick masculine sweat and long strands of the stranger’s wiry, black hair. Hector peered down curiously, but grunted disconcertedly when he found no such damage like that which had been left in wake of his passing. Veci laughed noiselessly, entertained by the stallion’s frustration more than anything else.

They set off quickly and Hector found better traction just off track, where thicker debris lay matted and not so worn down by the hooves of travellers. Not ten minutes later nestled in a dim shady glade, there was a great mass of roan stallion grazing, and the tawny soldier snorted abruptly to draw thither his attention. "Ai stranger, I come in honour of the Sun." Baritone voice trembled with prestige, and his posture gleaned of the success he had found in this world – so far from the emotional torture he had suffered as an adolescent between the hollow mountains.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Unregistered
His head raised at the snort and black eyes turned towards a stallion that stood there talking to him, blinking he listened to him and his ears pricked forward. A bit of grass hung from his lips and he swallowed it down before shifting his weight to the side his large frame moving smoothly over the ground. Raising his head higher he flared his nostrils and blinked rapidly, watching him he tipped his head to the side curious at the male before him.

"The honor of the sun..." He said softly his own deep voice sounding weak and raspy from years of not using, why was he here again? Why did he have to talk? He was so confused now, but the constant name that hammered his mind was now bothering him greatly. But he wanted to know, he coughed hoping his voice didn't sound horrible.

"By chance do you know someone named Hector?" He asked and he would find it ironic if this male was the owner of the name that continued to prick at the back of his mind, his tail curled under his belly and the plume flew about his tail as it flicked back and forth. His heart pounded in his chest and he took a step back, the winged male was either someone he knew or someone he should fear yet he couldn't remember someone, someone he had known for a long time. Confused he tucked his skull against his broad chest and snorted, lifting one leg he lightly pawed at the ground angry that he couldn't remember. He felt his legs shake and he raised his head with a quick jerk, his mane fell over speckled back.

Warm gaze lifted for the briefest interval to view the great blue heavens above, the sun in all of its blazing, blinding magnificence, and the smouldering-copper feathers thatched smartly across his vast, folded wings ruffled fondly. Frayed ribbons of the purest white distracted his fierce eye before it fell back towards the mottled-blue stranger – no sign to be found of the rain which was so typical of the growing season. The other’s skull had lifted in the meantime, evidence of an interrupted meal jutting stiffly from tense lips and Hector’s swift, cunning ears caught the husky murmur of voice; the words were incoherent and far too muffled.

The Dragon soldier closed the distance with a long swinging stride, glossy tangerine tendrils rippling as the warm air thrilled about him; there seemed nothing hostile about the stallion’s body-language, a little cold perhaps, but Hector was hardly deterred. Thick, brawny knees pulled to a standstill when he felt space between them was comfortable, respectful and suitable for conversation – it seemed the stranger agreed. In little time, the curious roan’s voice slithered forward, hoarse and gruff the warrior mused silently and patiently – the content born upon its noise barely civil.

It was a curious question too, and both Hector and the wafting Boggart cocked a brow in response. "There is one by that name here that I know of, aye." Iris’ gleamed as the sunlight tumbled into their narrowed midst; the benevolent grace about him faded beneath caution. "Pray stranger, who is asking..." There was an uncanny familiarity in his face; the trio of steel-black horns ascending the bridge of his nose in particular. Nostrils fluttered softy as he examined boldly his company.

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Unregistered
"Ah, it has been awhile since I have spoken. Forgive me." His large head dipped down respectfully before lifting up, an idiot urge to puff out his cheeks had him snorting softly in amusement.

"My name is Sardonyx." He said, amazed he could remember his own name. He flared his nostrils and stood there studying the male, wondering silently to himself if this winged male had been the friend he left behind. Swinging his skull around he looked away not wanting to think about what had happened yet memories flooded him, the long journey up mountains looking for his family, his mother and father. Who had abandoned him as a child, the search didn't end well for the rumors that he had heard had been false. His leaving had been for nothing, but he had enjoyed staying there. His long leg lifted to his chest while his ears flicked back to his head, and the sadness gripped him in a death grip he finally turned his head back to watch through pure black orbs.

Raising his head up he looked above, at the sky too. He really wanted to watch the stars, which he had had the pleasure of doing so when he was away. Sighing he lowered his head to watch the male, a quick memory flicked through his mind. He remembered running along side a male, while his small long clumsy legs carried him after the male. It was gone just as he gripped at it, he let out a sad snort that startled him.

With a well warranted shift in attitude, the large male (still pale beneath the shadow of the copper giant), dipped his thrice horned skull. Hector’s rippling coat softened as the bristling tension of inclination leaked quickly from sight, and his considerable bulk rocked left, a casual air swapping away the ridged exterior of a soldier on guard. Attentive ears stiffened, ever more curious as Sardonyx introduced himself at last - wait... Breath puffed from flared nostrils, short and shallow, and the duo of horns skewed as his regal face skewed of centre.

Veci probed through his bonded’s flailing thoughts, confused.

Once, a very long time ago, there had been a fond brother who carried a name like that, Nyx; the adopted son of a peasant mare, who, despite any foul view of the palace, had befriended Hector’s lonely heart. They had met in a small settlement to the south of the city after Hector had been shunned and cursed, labelled an evil spirit for causing the death of his mother, Queen Aquilina, during childbirth...

‘No pure-blooded prince of Arcanthano was ever so large,’ townsfolk had whispered.

‘No He is the work of WITCRAFT!,’ royal advisers had warned.

...And Hector found himself excluded from palace life, feared and cast aside; exiled to the remote village to fend for himself in every respect. His curse had hardly deterred the valiant heart of young Nyx though; and sympathetically, the old mare Yuana who cared also for the roan orphan, had softened the hated price’s fall. It was a lifelong left behind, abandoned for the gift of anonymity in Helovia.

Sardonyx’s shining black eyes seemed to glint expectation, unnervingly so and Hector shifted in place.

"I am he..." the copper Dragon revealed after a long, brooding silence. Having left the bitter memories long behind him, the tawny stallion was wary about stirring them back to life. He waited instead...

Unregistered
His great head tilted to the side with one ear moved to the side as well, he stared at the male. Who was the friend he had forgotten about, his throat felt tight and he just stood there staring at him trying to piece together things he couldn't remember or things he buried altogether. Regardless of it, he was back and he just wanted everything he had known back. But he had a feeling he wouldn't get his wish, however his memory of Yuana was strong, stronger than the one he had with his childhood friend. Sighing through his nose he righted his head and wound his tail around his belly.

"Is... Is she still alive?" He asked softly, he wanted his friend back yet he forgot almost everything. Except him leaving and that what is, he barely remembered the place he had been before he entered this grove. He actually wanted to kick a tree in anger, he didn't like that he couldn't remember a thing and it troubled him. He found himself lowering his head thinking hard, which caused his tail to start swishing back and forth rapidly and quickly. Raising his back leg he turned his head away, staring blankly to the side and at the earth.

"What... did you do when I left?" He asked softly turning his eyes on him and raising his head slowly, with his back leg still lifted he stood still and his large nostrils quivered faintly.

It seemed more and more that their confusion was mutual. Both stallions appeared to dither as though stark headlights had stunned their path, all of pattern of thought, bewildered by blurred memories that had long since been swept to fill crevices in of the mind. Though not intimidated for even the slightest of seconds, Hector’s burning pelt quivered with anticipation, uncertainty, visibly so. It can’t be... the sound was barely a breath purged from grappling lungs, the faintest murmur tinged by disbelief. "Nyx...?" Tongue tasted the word delicately as though it were the soft, snow-white cloud ribboned above the forest around them; it could disintegrate, be even a dream.

Veci rolled languidly through the littered grass, bored with the chance meeting already. He and the stallion had met long after Hector’s childhood in Arcanthano, and the spectre was more than fed up with horned, heavy acquaintance of old.

Come, leave now... he whined loudly through their bond.

Not yet, Veci, please a moment longer.

Sardonyx asked a question that forced his brow to furrow reluctantly. "What did I do?" he mumbled, suddenly bitter that his closest friend had all but abandoned their training – the life in arms they had dreamed about together for (as long as Hector could remember), three years or more! "...well, what else was there for me to do, Nyx? I worked and trained like we had planned." He took a breath an bristled his enormous body ostentatiously, wings lifting away from sweat-damp flanks just a little.

"And what of you brother? Did you find your mother all those years ago?" His tone mellowed a little. He knew how terribly the loss of his parents had affected Sardonyx as a boy – they had after all, fed each other strength when their blood had forsaken them. Hector paused long enough for whatever answer the roan stallion presented, and then asked soberly, "Have you yet found a home, here, in Helovia?"

Unregistered
His nickname left his friends mouth and he felt a smile come to his lips, flicking his ears he laughed softly and spoke.

"I haven't been called Nyx in awhile, most flat out refused to look at me...." Flinching at the way his friends voice had become hard he shied away his frame moving away, he looked at him his ears pricked forward like silent sententials.

"No, everything I had heard here had been false. I left and it was for a lost cause." He said sounding hurt and tired, hell he was tired from wandering and looking only to find false information that soon had him walking in circles. Tired black eyes turned on him and he tilted his head to the side watching him, with a weary sigh he shook his head. "No, I haven't. I have just arrived actually, but it would be nice having a home to come back to..." Trailing off he felt his hide twitching and he looked around his eyes lingering on something off to his friends side, curious he took a step forward wondering what he was seeing. Angling his head to the side his ears twitched and his head moved more to a tilt, he blinked at what he saw by his friend and his curiosity swelled he found himself starting to move closer.

"What... is that, Hector?" He asked pointing with his muzzle past him at what looked to be floating, he couldn't tell since he had never seen it before.

There seemed to be a weary note of melancholic failure behind the words that slipped from the thick, sooty lips of his brother, and Hector forced the tension ridged through his brawny frame, to mellow. A brisk wind harried the spindly forest canopy overhead, and the Dragon warrior lifted his whiskered chin high, testing its hue broodingly with pumping nostrils. Lungs drew a deep breath and held it at length.

"I’m sorry," he offered quietly; as tenderly as a pokerfaced, war-torn soldier could manage. "I suppose its truth to say that some things are better left in the past..." Certainly that was his own view of all that had been left behind; of his memories back in old, proud Arcanthano – before this very moment, he might have been pleased never to hear mention of that place, ever again. However, nothing happened without good reason and the copper giant could barely turn his back on this age old friend now. How far had he travelled to find Helovia? It was no walk in the park if memory served him well. Obviously the Sun had seen a gap in Hector’s life, one that he, himself, had been blind to.

You see what I cannot, he barely whispered, turning thought thankfully to the Sun. Why else had he ventured so far north on a day set aside for labour and planning before the Celebration which now loomed just beyond the horizon – and the detonation of the land-bridge on the side...

The other stallion was distracted mid-sentence. Eyes as black as ebony wood turned suddenly towards something behind Hector’s winged right shoulder. Gleaming tangerine gaze followed both cautiously and curiously, guiding ivory-horned face around upon a neck that twisted in turn and lead around then his obedient robust knees. Veci’s rippling form was playing only very faintly as an apparition – perhaps an idea chanced from the tired mind of their company, and the soldier scolded him promptly in thought. Veci, he is not to be harassed. Tone was sharp and stern, and the mischievous Boggart promptly disintegrated back into nothingness.

Turning with a softening eye Hector explained in brief the nature of the unusual bond shared between them. "He is Veci, a wicked Boggart who hatched from an egg placed under my guard – it is a long story and I can't be rid of him. Perhaps once you are well rested I can tell you more of the strangeness of this world. Helovia it is called." Lips curled into the briefest smile. "I call Dragon’s Throat home now, a desert girt nearly entirely by sea. Will you return with me now into the south?" Brow creased curiously, and Hector lowered his majestic face tauntingly towards Sardonyx.

"Perhaps you could be my apprentice..."

@[Sardonyx]

Unregistered
He looked at him and stood there quietly his tail now lashing swiftly and quickly, about his legs while he stood there quietly and debated about what to do.

"Your apprentice to what?" He asked softly staring him down and flaring his nostrils, even though they are friends he really didn't enjoy following after someone but this was interesting to him and he just might agree. Sighing he felt his chest heave with the breathe releasing from his body, his leg lifted to his chest and he turned away looking at the earth and around the trees. Glancing at him he swung his head towards his fiery friend still watching him and raising his head up nodded slowly.

"Although I might not be used to this... desert home you call it I will go since I have no where else to." He said and shifted his weight, he lowered his head the same way he had done when he met his friend again. Straightening up he pricked his ears and gazed at him now excited to see what this place had to offer to him, this would prove to be interesting to him he hoped and until then he would take small steps to see what he could. A soft smirk danced across his muzzled lips and he rose his head up high and the hide on his body twitched, he dipped his head lifting his leg to rub at his muzzle and face. The itch on his face finally faded and he raised his head to stare at him, black eyes watching with silent intent.

Hector laughed silently as his large skull jerked back to its main, military stance. He towered above the broad roan and made little effort to smooth his brilliantly extravagant appearance – especially given the challenging stare dealt, boring against his rippling, sinewy hide. They were brothers of an age long behind, and though there was evidence of underlying respect, even fondness for the younger, the tawny Tribrid had succeeded in their bold ambitions, alone. Confidence as a result was hinted at through every aspect of his being – his calm and collected carriage, the stoicism staining his expression, even the calculating twitch of his long leonine tail - and though he wanted to help Sardonyx’s plight here in Helovia (whatever that happened to be...), boundaries needed to be re-established.

"Defensive these days, aye?" he teased with an overly delicate tone, smirking all the while. The twice horned colt had never been quite so touchy during their early life.

"Settle Nyx, I am playing with you. Our first assignment should be to toughen that thin-skin of yours..." Again he teased, snorting softly, but the stiff defiance in his posture had eased, and his golden-red eye glinted playfully in the tumbling sunlight. Deciding brazenly that the other’s shifting stance was enough of a cue as any, Hector turned across strapping knees towards the south, though one ear remained well focused on the other stallion. "Come then, it will be a long journey – perhaps even through the night to come." Maybe it would be less arduous given the time between their meetings, there was much to catch up on – and there was much Sardonyx needed to know about Helovia.

@[Sardonyx], I will ask for your rank change and start a thread for them in the Throat :) Would he like to pause anywhere along the way?

Unregistered
"Only when I need to be." He said falling into step beside his friend, it felt like old times to him. Following the older one around like a foal would its mother, snorting to himself at the strange comparison he twitched his tail and made sure he was beside him while they headed for the place he will call home.

"My skin isn't thin, far from it too." He haughtily said and kept his ears back and grumbled to himself, his large hooves pushed into the ground while he walked. He watched him from the corner of his eye interested in what he would say next, and when the notion of walking through the night reached his ears he almost threw a fight. He was tired and the possibility of walking at night bothered him, his lips parted and he snorted the sound coming out sounding hollow like and flaring his nostrils the stallion eyed him with a look of distaste. They may be friends but even he had boundaries, lifting up one leg highly he lifted his head to flare his nostrils and think to himself about things. He missed so much, missed the fact that he and Hector had things planned for their future. That they would do everything possible together yet he left that behind all because of a rumor about his parents that turned out to be false, an angry snort came from him and pinned his ears to his head.

"Walk through the night for all I care as long as I can stop somewhere and sleep." He grumbled blandly and with a flick of his tail trotted forward ahead even though he had no idea where he was going he really didn't care, he just wanted to get things going.

OOC: They can stop along the way if you want them too