the Rift

[OPEN] LET THE GAMES BEGIN (edge games #1)

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
The night had seemed to drag on for eternity, the moon creaking across the sky, and Kahlua could hardly find enough things to keep herself occupied. Walking the border, she cleared several entrances through the shattered glass, making sure that anybody that wanted in would be able to make their way in. The warriors had been reminded to guide strangers to the games, the glaziers had been reminded that they might be needed for prizes, the healers reminded to be around just in case there was an accident, the spies reminded to keep an eye on the goings on. Several members had been recruited to help keep track of events… was there anything else to do? If there was Kahlua could not think of it, and so she waited anxiously, pacing around, trying to kill time until the sun would rise. Finally, it did.

With the morning come, Kahlua stood with a brilliant smile upon a rock where the herd meetings were usually held. Slowly, faces gathered. Some of her own herd, some of different herds, some outcasts looking for an activity on which to spend their time. She was happy to see them all and made it a point, as they gathered to go down and introduce herself to each one.

Finally, enough had gathered and it was time for the festivities to begin. Bouncing her way back up to the rock that placed her slightly above the rest, the queen whinnied out for quiet. When all the participants had settled, she spoke. “We’re so glad to see you all. If you are ever in need in the future, come find us. We will do what we can to help.” As the center of attention, she was in her element, and for once she was not feeling the pressures of the queendom pressing down upon her shoulders. “The game is a scavenger hunt, with prizes to the winners. Good luck to all!”

Taking a moment to recall the clues, she announced the first two. “We’ll start easy, my friends. Find us something brown and sticky!” At which, she laughed and laughed. “But while you’re searching, keep your eyes open. We want you to find us a fake stone- one that is green… But not with envy!!” Laughing again from the pure joy of the occassion, the queen watched as the participants moved off. “Good luck to you all!”

OOC| As noted in my post, if you participate in this game then Kahlua has introduced herself to you. You may know her name, her legend title, and that she is queen of the Edge. There will be three rounds to this scavenger hunt. Two clues per round- The next two clues will be revealed in one week, so to get points for the first portion of the game you must post within one week!

Points will be awarded to contestants based on creativity in finding the items. 1 or 2 points (decided by dice) will be awarded for any correct answer. 1-4 points (decided by dice) will be awarded if creativity is used in finding the answer. Basically- being creative increases your chances of getting more points, but you still have a chance if you're having an off day or can't think of a way to creatively get to an answer you can still get just as many (or maybe more) points than someone else. For example, if we say “find something that is deadly when it’s quick” you could find a scorpion, which seems like a fairly obvious (uncreative) answer. Or, you could find sand (quicksand is deadly!) and this would be a more creative type answer. Most points wins!

The items you select do not necessarily have to be something you can catch/contain/pick up. An Edge “NPC” character is assumed to be following your character around, so if you want to select something immobile (like a waterfall or a boulder), then that is just fine.

You may enter as many characters in the Edge games as you want!

PLEASE PM THE ITEMS YOU CHOOSE FOR EACH CLUE TO KAHLUA! Try not to put your exact answer in your post, if possible, but still write about your character's endeavors to find the items :D

Questions? Ask here!
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
The Edge Games...
Open to anyone and everyone.

A series of games hosted by the Edge.

"Silas, I want to attend..."

Lilac eyes narrowed circumspectly as they peeled away from the dimpled skin of the bright red raspberries still hanging between green, wrinkled leaves on the bush. They fell swiftly upon the endearingly credulous gaze of his beloved with apprehension pooling within. It had been only a week or so since the unannounced arrival of her suitor; the master manipulator whose heart sang ever louder than his brain. The residual effect still pulsed through her thoughts, pain, guilt, confusion – all of which she had overcome for other reasons barely a month before.

"I am ready."

Silas sighed deeply – ever the stanch guardian, keeper of her delicate heart. He would never disable her or hold back the free, frivolous spirit within her, that he loved so dearly; and this opportunity to feed her confidence and play like in times of old, was indeed an opportunity he could not deny. The glossy black feathers thatched across his breast prickled as a solicitous purr resonated below. Of course.

A blend of nervous excitement coursed through Africa’s slender frame and the fire curling through both her long mane and tail seemed to flare in answer. Admittedly she was terrified about facing the world she had tried so hopelessly to hide away from; but as time drew on and memory of her mistakes began to blur and distort, strength and clarity returned to her mind. "Well we better get going. The invitation was left weeks ago." Her voice frothed enthusiastically, her dappled pelt flinched and quivered in anticipation, and pastel, bright gaze electrified in the golden light of the morning.

They had only that day and one night left to travel!

Perhaps only hours later, Africa had cleaned out their den comprehensively (the prison cell that she maintained with meticulous care), collected a few supplies and an amulet into her satchel just in case, and had fastened that just below her left elbow – of course with the help of her obliging companion. "Let’s go!" she grinned broadly, unable to contain the bubbling excitement through her core, and the pair set off south to allow the northern ice-fields an extra-wide berth.

The forest skirting Word’s Edge was not completely unfamiliar – Africa had visited the home of the Qian on two occasions before. She walked with a measured stride beneath her gliding keeper, tension brewing like a plague through her soul; but she wore across her face a misleadingly valiant mask, and a smile that gave no hint to the turmoil lurking within. There was no sign of the great glass wall which had once marked the borderline of the beautiful territory, though pretty glinting fragments of the region’s prized material were strewn all around little visible pathways. It never occurred to her as she paused for a moment to run her lip inquisitively, imprudently, along one fine edge, that these were the remains of that wall.

"Ouch..." The dappled Medic skipped back from the glass with eyes set upon it suspiciously. Blood dribbled from the cut and it stung just a little.

A small while later she was standing amid a sea of hot bodies (to begin with she had been off to one side), exhilaration and fervour resonating like rolling thunder around them. Africa soon forgot about her reservations – the atmosphere was contagious. She likened it to the buzz about Sky Island! One mare stood at the head of the gathering, it was Kahlua the Sunshower who the one-winged had met thrice before. A mirthful smile slipped across her maw, as Silas settled himself comfortably beside the lulled flames at the top of her tail. The painted queen (who incidentally reminded her of her Ascended king, Midas...) introduced her guests to the game, and in good time sent them away with a clue.

"We have to find something brown and sticky..." she translated for Silas as they strayed south back into the forest through the Edge, and her shining eyes were trained to the littered floor, searching – but for what? "Oh... and a fake green stone!" Africa had some idea in mind regarding the latter – in fact, and without mentioning aloud what she was looking for, she narrowed her focus. It took a solid hour before they found the green treasure – it was not as obvious or abundant as she had first imagined it might be, but soon enough she and Silas had returned to the curious rocky tail to hunt for the first item which had been on the Edge Queen’s list.

You aren’t going to find it under there... Silas mentioned casually, swifter in thought than she and already flapping towards their prize where it lay, slung above their heads. He collected it with a careful grasp and the Edge citizen collecting for them took it carefully. "Yes, I know..." she answered distractedly, quite taken by a creature lurking beneath a rock, now upturned. She flipped another beside it, but only a hoard of scuttling grey slaters burst out from beneath. With ears pitched intently forward, the dappled mare returned to the first and picked up the small bizarre creature between her lips. "I want to keep it!" She whispered, casting a clandestine glance by the official behind them, and turned to stash it safely in her satchel – with a mouthful of half rotted leaves, dirt and the little rock to make it comfortable.

Do you think we will get extra points for finding two brown sticky things?

The zephyr furrowed his ornate brow at her and ruffled his feathers. He was sure her pet was not part of the agenda.

If you are lucky... maybe.

Africa

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
After the initial bout of confusion regarding the invitations, Ampere was more than ready to discover that the Edge was hosting a series of games, open to any and all. The competitive drive in her immediately set like a fire in her gut, driving her interest and her anticipation of the day to come. She'd shared the news with the herd as well, hoping some would come - it was a perfect opportunity for their quest, though Ampere was mostly in it for selfish reasons. She had never been to the Edge before and she thought now as good a time as any to meet the shrouded herd.

She arrived on wing, following a herd member that greeted her to the assembly. Curiously her gaze danced around, but she couldn't spy anyone she was familiar with (Africa was hidden from her), nor did it seem the Edgers were going to participate alongside her, much to her dismay. So much for testing the strength of the Throat against the Edge.

In fact she wasn't going to be directly competing with anyone. Ampere's mouth fell agape in shock as Kahlua exposed the games for their nature, a solitary scavenger hunt. In an instant her visions of a bloody gladiator ring fell to the wayside. She clamped her mouth shut abruptly, teeth clicking together audibly. If she wanted another nature hike she would have just gone on patrol again.

Exhaling heavily through her nostrils Ampere turned to the skies at the release of the contestants, intending to finish as soon as she could to be done with it. She had come after all, she intended to finish, blood or not. Wanting to explore the World's Edge further, she kept to its borders to begin with, finding everything she needed in their woods.
Ampere

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
Doubt comes in on sticks but then he kicks like a horse.
If Ampere was going to do it so was he. And certainly not because he was being ambiguously protective, competitive, or jealous.

Gaucho liked games too.

Gaucho didn't know the painted one was queen. The last time he had seen her she was delivering some shiny bauble she made (albeit a large bauble). She also didn't have a dragon last time .. he would have remembered that. And even if he hadn't, Mara would have. Looking through the serpents gaze, he could feel her animosity towards the sky serpent. This one looked different than Tinek, but even so ... she wasn't pleased.

SHHH. He instructed mentally, black ears forward trying to catch the mare's instructions. Brown and sticky? All he needed to do was eat some particularly healthy grass and he could pass something brown and sticky to her right away. In his mind he could practically feel Mara's embarrassment. You would she hissed, incredibly displeased.

With a grunt Gaucho pulled away from the group. He hadn't been in the edge before, didn't know was was here.

"Brown and sticky." He grumbled to himself, unsure of why his original answer of shit wouldn't do. Moving through the trees the Wildfire tried to observe things that were brown. Leaves? No.. with Birdsong firmly upon them everything was abundantly green. He would be hard pressed to find anything dead here. Snorting he moved further into the lands. Half of his mind was on the scavenger hunt, the other half split between scouting the Edge for tactical advantages and weakness, and keeping an eye out for Ampere.

The Blue had gotten awfully round lately. And it coincided just a little too well with certain events.

Do thisssss. For quessst Mara reminded him, her mind already trying to figure out what could count as a fake stone, and further, what could make it green.

Image Credits -- Table style by Tamme!
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd
SHIDA
You're doing it wrong.

I didn't tell Auri about these games. Does that make me a bad sister? Probably. Does it increase my chances of winning? Well. That would mean giving Auri credit for producing any coherent ideas so ... I guess no? I guess that just makes me a bastard but I DON'T CARE. Maybe I can't justify it, but I just wanted to do this on my own. Although knowing Auri she'll show up here somewhere. I'm pretty sure she was actually born with a third magic: the ability to ruin my life.

I'm sorta in the back. There's this big asshole in front of me with FIRE on his body. Like. Dude. Stop drop and roll, yo. There's a few others too - some blue chick (blue? was your Da an oompaloompa or something?), and then this normal chick except she only has one wing. Well one is better than none right?

I listen to this pretty broad tell us what she wants. Brown and sticky and a fake stone? The hell was this? Well. Whatever. I was totally going to nail this. As soon as she's done jabbering I'm off. I trot away from the group, not wanting them to steal the idea that's already forming in my mind, and also not wanting Auri to follow me if she decides to show up.

I creep around until I find a brook, a stupidly wicked grin on my pink lips. THIS WAS GOING TO BE AWESOME. Look at painted queen, you're about to have the BEST entry you've ever seen. If I knew anything about Kahlua she would probably be horrified by what I was about to do but ... y'know. Ignorance is bliss.

I lower my nose, trying to be stealthy ("???? how is that stealthy Shida" you might ask, but just shhhhh. Go with it.). I wait.

Waiting..
waaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiittttttttttttting.

Okay this is boring. Maybe i'll just - AH. THERE IT IS. THE HOLY FUCKING GRAIL!

It's a common brown toad, but to me it's my winning ticket. Grinning maliciously I prepare to do the thing

Okay. Now a fake green stone? Whaaaaaaaaat. Is this like .. one of those mind fucks? Like. Duuuude. When is a stone not a stone yo? Like ... when it's a duck. Y'know. The sort of shit stoners say when they're trying to be clever.

I really have no idea. I look around but ... I mean, I really don't know how to interpret 'fake stone'. Like. What is a stone even. Something made out of rock or stone right? So a fake one would just be ... not rock or stone? So is a leaf a fake stone?

Stones can roll a voice in the back of my mind advises me. Oh shit. Yeah that's right.

Fuck. This is going to be harder than I thought.

Image by Tamme!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Games are a rare and often unintended been part of this life after I'd hit adulthood. Tis likely this battle aged soul has forgotten how to actually have fun. Neve laughs a retort, she is a warm musical child that brings a smile to my face, "Mi-des, pay." Her tone is mockingly certain and innocently assuring. Yar, the only play which seemed to find quarter in my heart was that little pale light I found myself grinning at on most occasions. Neve had successfully won even Fina's deep rooted affection. The ice princess danced on the morning air, testing the limits of her maturing feathers.

We arrived at their gathering, noting that nearly all vacant slots toward the feet of the northern queen are filled. Willingly I stake a spot toward the rear of those in attendance. We settle quietly, and three sets of eyes glance over the crowd as the instigator begins to relay instructions.

Neve is exuberant and visibly delighted with the choice of today's entertainment; she's eager to reveal her excitement by fanning those icy wings. Fina rolls her aqua eyes to heaven, already bored, already hungry. I step away from the gathering and quietly slip into the woods. Wordless and rather empty brained toward finding a suitable answer, I paw around the thicket. Tis my companions who take pity and ensure I'd return with something other than the mud on my feet. (Which, could arguably still count.)

Neve locates our brown and sticky while scoring marks into an old maple tree, she captures some on the end of a stick and proudly presents her find by waving it back and forth. My phoenix returns from a hunt, an oblong thing clutched between both dark talons. A small green head emerges from the end.

For centuries

CREDIT GOES HERE
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

With the Birdsong sun yet to rise; to beckon life from the cool forests trailing below or warm the dull cloak of night with golden tenor, Hector sailed west. The invitation had been left a week or more prior, intriguing the stallion who had never been the kind to shun the thrill of competition. It was true that he preferred the more athletically demanding sports - racing, sparring and the like, but with Ampere attending he could hardly feign interest.

The Thistle Meadow tumbled below an hour or so later, a blur of indiscernible colour that was vastly more beautiful with sunlight upon it – like all things really. Behind, the subtle whisper of dawn spilt soft bronze across the horizon, but his focus lay ahead, the Edge Games were to begin soon and Helovia was no small island.

He began a slow, circling descent with marvellous wingspan dipping through the cool headwind which had accompanied the last half of his journey. The borderline he sought was not unfamiliar, though it had been many years since his last visit – messenger, between Lords and Ladies... so it came as a surprise when he landed finally in a narrow glade just short of the territory, to see glass strewn about the floor of the forest. Curious... he mumbled, and Veci slipped from his bonded’s flank to investigate shards gleaming as the first streams of weak light stretched between the lush green awning above.

They followed the intoxicating stench as it lingered across bark and grass, and generous pathways winding between the glass crops into the realm of mist and beauty, home of the Qian.

They arrived amid a growing group – many were attending, and Hector’s keen eye passed between rumps and manes in effort to find any familiar; perhaps the Dragon Gladiator, or the Sultan who had parted still earlier than he. Interestingly, and more than unexpectedly, he discovered the unmistakable flame of the Sultana of old, Africa the Starry-Eyed, who had vanished without word or trace from her home many months before. A cautious snort breezed through flared nostrils, but he soon was distracted by the gleeful rising of another voice, the black and white Queen hosting this event.

Narrow, neat ears danced forward to listen and Veci settled himself between the stallion’s front hooves after promising to be on his very best behaviour – reluctantly...

Kahlua welcomed her guests amiably, and revealed the first two clues for the scavenger hunt – something that was brown and stinky (he misheard), and another, a fake stone, green, though not with envy. Puzzled, the copper giant’s gaze fell towards the hocks of the stranger standing with some distance in front. Have you any thoughts Veci? But the Boggart sighed jadedly as he surveyed the potential surrounding, just beyond his reach.

They set off as the crowd dispersed, in a westerly direction – towards where he knew the ocean lashed violently at jagged cliffs. Perhaps they would find something fitting by chance, because really, Hector suddenly realised that had neither the patience or the swift mind necessary, to really perform in a scavenger hunt. Not one to be out done, the stallion kept his eyes peeled and trained to the ground hopefully. All manner of rubbish - leaves, rocks, even the lifeless corpse of a small mammal, lay strewn across his path; pointless material that even the earth seemed to have no need for.

Large hooves paused, one suspended in the air beneath a tentatively bowed knee, and he glanced quickly around to be certain no other would notice his next move. Hector collected the animal by the tail, it was revolting, half rotten - STINKING and he wondered as he turned to find the game’s Official waiting behind, if he was even remotely on the right track – surely no other would be able to match this. Nevertheless, he was pleased indeed, that they had completed the first (and perhaps more difficult part) of the scavenger hunts first clue.

With the forest far behind, Hector and Veci continued to search through the open pastures at the western rim of the Edge. Green... green... green... his mind chanted, but all he could see was the swishing carpet of grass – about the greenest thing around and quite delightful to taste. It was as he was grazing, completely distracted, that he came upon the next clue, and both he and the Boggart felt certain it was that which was sought. He turned towards the Official, beckoning them forward and returned to pluck the clue from its bed and hand it over.

What now? Veci asked, sprawling his vaporous form through the grass.

We wait for the next clue, I think... Let’s head back to the meeting.

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

"Shhh," If someone were to walk by they would only spot a pair of black ears and a pair of brown eyes peering out from behind a somewhat wilted desert bush. I had spent some time trying to find the elusive animal and my escort was going to blow it for us! "Watch close, okay?" Springing from behind the bush I watched with glee as the armadillo curled up into a ball. After getting up the nerve to touch him I rolled the strange animal to its side. "He likes to swim and drink from the Throat's oasis. He gets a layer of the algae on his skin and it gives him a green tint. For protection he curls up and almost resembles a stone." Before leaving I placed a few mouthfuls of the plant I had seen the animal often eating. "Sorry for scaring you!"

"It is the brown and sticky part that has me stumped." Although my words were directed to the official who had followed me might as well have been talking to myself. He remained silent. "I guess that means you won't be giving any hints out?" Playfully I winked at him. Still no response.

We wandered around Helovia almost aimlessly while I turned over every leaf trying to figure out something that would be brown and sticky. I found the answer on my hoof. There it crawled leaving a sticky path on my hoof. Squealing with glee I made my way back towards the World's Edge. But not before carefully depositing my little friend into a safe place off of the trail.

Credits: Thank you Shady and Tamme!
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo

we are like birds of a feather
we are two hearts joined together
we will be forever as one
my brother under the sun </style>

For some time I had been uncertain of the games taking place in the Edge. Our relationship with the rest of Helovia's herds were better than they had once been, that was for sure, yet still I remained somewhat bitter to the fact that strangers would be wandering about our home. Perhaps it was my advancing age making me cranky and irritable of the thought, and though I was perfectly content to keep an eye on those participating, Suli was ever persistent that we partake ourselves. After all, it seemed the Edge lacked any active participants.

As we went about searching for the things requested by the Queen, something brown and sticky and a fake stone of green, Suli and I churned our minds for what we could bring back. For the first, a stick would be easiest, the Edge was full of them, but it would be expected and hardly creative. We searched for a good while, at times coming to a stop and staring through the dense foliage in utter concentration, but at last, something had caught my eye, a creature I had seen numerous times since my time here.

For the latter item, however, I was completely stumped; a fake stone that was green in color... It was a play on words, I knew it was, forcing us to think far more than was necessary, but what on earth was fake, green, and a stone...?

Thankfully, Suli would come to find something suitable in the form of some leafy greens, even if the goods in question caused a strange reaction from the little dragoness as she purred and nestled her face into them as we carried our finds back to Kahlua and the rest.

"Speak."

image by blu | table code by tamme

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
ALYSANNE
Although she planned on stepping out of the action if she was needed to do any sort of healing, Alysanne was rather excited about the idea of a scavenger hunt – and she just loved how excited Kahlua was about it. What was the harm in joining in?! Hemlock was even bristling with anticipation though she suspected that it was the competitive side in him coming out. He’d want to win, while she was just thinking it would be fun to join in with everyone else.

A fair number of horses showed up for the games and she was glad – certainly Kahlua would be happy about the turn out. Her friend must have worked so hard to put this all together!

Now they were gathered to listen to the instructions – Alysanne had never been involved in this sort of thing before and she did not exactly pride herself in being good with puzzles but maybe they would be able to work something out. She chuckled at the idea of something ‘brown and sticky’ along with Kahlua but the second clue stumped her right out. A fake stone? What on earth!

Well, the games had started and here Alysanne was still standing still with a puzzled look on her face. Hemlock tugged at her mane impatiently, encouraging her to move which brought her out of her thoughts and back into the game. Goodness! Everyone else had already left!

Picking up a trot she focused on the first clue, mumbling to herself as she weaved through the trees before the word sticky was just standing out. Oh! With a little help from Hemlock she was able to gather up a little sample of something brown and sticky.

Now what to do about that second clue.

She was pretty sure that she would be the last one in the forest looking for something to use, how long did they have? Hemlock was beginning to get flustered but she just shooed him off, taking her time and trying to come up with the best possible solution.

There Hemlock offered as the pair were wandering slowly, taking care not to miss anything. Well! It was certainly better than nothing! So they gathered it up too - Hemlock taking this second clue in his talons while Aly held the first in her mouth, and they made their way back to the group to see if they were right.

This whole puzzle thing was already rather exciting!

HealeR
world's edge
Image Credit
table by Sevin!
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
As strong as the seas are stormy.</style>

The prospect of more material possessions had hounded her, the invitation something that had garnered both interest and confusion from within her herd. Not many had intended on gathering, nor participating, despite being closest with the Edge of all herds. Still, Hotaru was drawn to the idea of it, to the thrill of challenge and promise. Was she creative enough for the task? Regardless, she had reluctantly left her children in the hands of her capable northern kin, promising them she would be swift and return to them before the new morn had come on the fourth day. Still, they pulled at her heart with every mile and every step, a reminder of everything she had left to live for and return to. Not that she was heading into something dangerous, of course.

They gather like flies to honey, and that was one quote she had kept from her mother forever, though Hotaru suspected it had been meant more for Raeden than herself. You can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar. Such was the reasoning behind her smooth talking and playing up of her gender for those that fell like willing servants at her hooves. She stands among them, a quiet participant, but as they begin to separate she nickered a soft greeting to Gaucho an Ampere in recognition. They didn't have the most admirable past, but she would not squander the attempts of the Edge leaders by destroying their games with her personal relationships.

With a target in mind, she sets out. The Edger trailing her is paid no heed, and she ventures out across Helovia pleasantly alone. It reminded her quite a lot of her upbringing, the outcast title stamped across her hide that had still smelled of newness and malleable innocence.

She finds what she requires, though it is a dangerous task. Nodding her head towards the Edger to capture their attention (internally laughing at their similarly disgruntled look with their current position) she nodded towards her subject and grinned mischievously.

She had her answer.

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
The queen could not have been more delighted by the show of characters who arrived to play in their games. It was their first event, and already every herd had representatives. She had apparently done well to create the glass invitations and deliver them as she had. Admittedly, there might have been better participation if she had done a better job drawing what she had intended the game to be, but she could not fault herself too much. She and Khan had done as well as they could, given the circumstances.

As the contestants took off through the Edge to gather their items, followed by Edge folk that had volunteered for the task of game aides, she smiled and whinnied happily to any that might have been near. Though she could not participate in the game herself, she was not terribly distraught. The whole atmosphere of the Edge had changed for her in this moment. It was not a prison for her. Instead, she could call this place home.

When all had found their first answers to the clues, and the aides had returned to report the answers, the Sunshower delivered the second clues. "Oh, you've all done so well! Good, good. Keep it up!" Optimistic and encouraging, her blue eyes sparkled as she bounced about and called out the next things to be found. "Everybody loves a rhyme, yes? Can you find us something blue... and new?!" A chortle escaped her mouth as she looked to a few of the more intimidating creatures that were here. "But perhaps you can find us something else to. Maybe something whose bark is worse than its bite! Good luck, friends!" She was more a child than a queen in the moment, but there was joy on her face and she was truly happy. Depression could not bring her down on this day.

OOC| One week to get your next post and clues in!!

Current points (lots of great answers, with lots of low rolls on the 4-sided dice!!)
Midas: 3
Africa: 2
Ampere: 4
Gaucho: 5
Shida: 4
Hector: 4
Rei: 4
Destrier: 5
Alysanne: 3
Hotaru: 3
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
So utterly thrilled with her newest companion was Africa (the slug unfortunate enough to be hiding beneath the rock flipped previously) that she completely lost track of time, forgot the real purpose for her being in the fertile forest of the Edge altogether. The region was teeming with horses, most she knew to be from Dragon’s Throat – she was able to avoid them nice and subtly with the aid of her companion’s shrewd eyes – and others who she had met here and there along the ever twisting course of her life, she exchanged shy greeting with and continued quickly on her way.

Mobile lips nuzzled fondly at the satchel which was tethered beneath her left elbow, and she imagined fancifully that the slimy, shell-less mollusc was nestled adoringly against her touch with the leather between. She was yet to think of a name and considered options constantly as she walked, even limped a little to soften each step, through the lush, ancient woodland en route back to the starting place.

Silas could only imagine the putrid slippery mess building on the inside of the bag; he would certainly think twice from this point forward before he thought to stash snacks in its midst....

They found their place among the crowd once again, and the lean grey’s ears wavered to the hum of muffled, expectant voices. There certainly seemed to be a steady excitement throughout, and Africa did well to contain her own and keep level her head. Kahlua passed encouraging words into their mix, perhaps the most enthusiastic of all and soon too, the next set of clues to see them on their way once more. Again Africa translated for her curious bonded...

This time we need to find something blue... and new. She was very careful to mimic the pronunciation as was given, no matter how ridiculous the zephyr thought it sounded. She also asked for something whose bark is worse than it’s bite. Naturally they both thought first of a canine type creature – something whose sound was a bark, but alas none standing nearby seemed to have such an animal in tow. The one-winged mare huffed gently, confused a little when nothing drastically obvious jumped out at her.

What’d you think the bark one is? It isn’t a dog...

Silas purred affectionately, amused by her simple thought pattern.

Africa was stumped.

Ok.... what about something new, and something blue then?

The zephyr could think of two things but in the previous game he had more than carried her. Think... his thoughts whispered gently, but her patience was thinning. Slender legs turned as the crowd began again to disperse. It was late in the morning already and peckish, her stomach’s grumbling was growing ever more persistent. The Starry-Eyed led them to a pool she remembered from long ago, when wise old Hellena had pulled her from the prison-basin in the north. Skirting the crystal water was soft lawn, sweet and bright. For a little while she grazed quietly, and Silas took awkward rest across the supple canopy of a fruiting fir; prying apart the still sealed cones for any ripe seed within.

Time pressed heavily upon her and Africa soon stepped to the still water’s edge to wash the lovely meal down. As she hovered above it, gazing into the quietly-golden eyes of her reflection and the awning of canopy behind, it occurred to her what the riddle about the bark might actually mean. Silas! she called, restraining her sudden flare of excitement so that no other lurking nearby might find the idea appealing. I think I have it! The soft green foliage bounced beneath his weight as she skipped to its flimsy end, curiously he dabbled through her mind and plucked the clever suggestion with a snapping beak. Fair... he told her, flapping clear of the tree to find purchase again where her long spine curved down.

Africa turned to the official who had been so patiently waiting and smiled. The explanation was a little exaggerated, perhaps even a little farfetched – but she was more than happy, and quickly set off west when their follower understood.

Something new and something blue... something new and something blue... she chanted as she trotted with a heart lighter than it had been in months. The scavenger hunt had offered brilliant distraction from the storm of recent events, and for the time being she could think of nothing but the clues. The Starry-Eyed led them from the wooded eastern flank of the Edge and out across a verdant pasture that ceased only where the cliffs plunged into the sea. She was tempted to pause again and sample the wares, but hesitated as the roar of the ocean (out of sight, far below) attracted the attention of her ears. Curiously she neared the edge – rocks scattering through the grass if she did not place each hoof with meticulous care, and down below the soup of foam and froth churned.

Silas swooped out overhead, gliding above the wild sea, and Africa watched his effortless grace with vague contentment pooling behind her gentle-creamy gaze. As he circled back towards her, riding the thermals higher and higher, she glanced back down. Her mind cleared abruptly, and she turned back to meet the eye of the official. "I think I know! Yes!" Forgetting the plunge to death mere metres away, she bounded away from the edge and paused before him – the explanation was far easier this time, and Africa could not help the grin stretching her lips as she led at an enthusiastic canter back to Kahlua.
Africa

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd
SHIDA
You're doing it wrong.

So the pretty queen makes us alllllllllllll come back, and then gives us more things to find. Did we all not do a good enough job the first time around? My small tail flaps with annoyance as I listen to her next instructions. Blue and new, and bark and bite. What does that even mean. I grumble as I set off.

Blue and new ... blue and new. I sort of wished I had kept those eggs from the last time. Those were blue and new. I wonder if I could find more. Can I submit the same thing more than once? I look towards the dude following me, but he isn't saying much. Rules and all that. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, it wouldn't hurt ya to be a little more chatty would it? But what the hell do I know, maybe it would.

I stomp through the Edge, eyes focused for anything that's blue. I see birds .. and flowers ... "UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH." I whine as I consider giving up and going home. This is DUMB.

I look to the sky and wonder if I can make it home before tomorrow ... morning ...

THAT'S IT. SHIDA YOU ARE A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS. I turn to the dude with a smile on my face. "My new-blue thing is ..."

Now for bark and bite. I immediately think of a dog, but then shake my head. Nah, too easy. Trees? Trees have bark, is it like ... some kind of pun? I inspect the nearest tree to me, putting my eyeball right against the bark. "HAY YO TREE. DO YOU EVEN BITE?!" I shout, pulling back to inspect the tree for signs of movement.

Nothing.

Fffft. I snarl and bite the tree. Maybe that will get it to bite back, but again nothing happens. Well ... I guess that eliminates trees - they definitely don't bite.

I look around, repeating the words in my mind. Bark.. bite...bark...bite...

Image by Tamme!

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Her aide set off to deliver her choices, while Ampere followed, drifting between the trees on foot - there were too many trees, combined with the peculiar mist, to make flight in unfamiliar terrain the best option. She'd wanted to wait behind and scout out the land a bit more, but it seemed there was some insistence that she return to the gathering to hear the next clues revealed by the bubbly queen. At least the Edge had sense enough not to let strangers run around unattended, still, it was peculiar for a herd to be so welcoming. Not bad, just odd. Compared to the Throat, which bristled at the slightest threat, real or perceived. The herd was either very confident in their military force, or was just that stupid. She figured it was the former, because although Kahlua didn't seem full of wisdom or might herself, some of the aides seemed formidable.

Too bad Ampere was only getting a chance to see the artsy side of the Edge, she was extremely curious about its more military aspects. The thought actually brought another frown to her features, reminded again of how this competition was nothing like she'd imagined. Still, her grandsire had always said that strengthening the mind was just as important as the body. Ampere wasn't sure this was what he'd had in mind though.

Resigning herself to her fate of this underwhelming contest, and still unwilling to lose (by the Sun God's mercy she ought to at least place), Ampere set off with her aide back into the woods. The clues bounced back and forth in her mind, but she was struggling with them. "Water is blue," she mused, but she wasn't sure it was new - when it rained wasn't it all the same water? Her feathers were blue, and they grew new sometimes, but she didn't figure that was quite what Kahlua was looking for. A flower perhaps...

Suddenly Ampere found what she needed and called for the Aide to ensure it was logged.

Now, a bark worse than a bite? Useless, she thought scornfully. Tree bark was first on her mind of course, but the only thing it was worse at was flavor. Was flavor considered biting if it was that bad? Well, if it was, then the bite was worse than the bark... or the bite was the bark.... or something. Either way that wasn't it.

Shaking her head Ampere pressed on, finally finding what she needed after a long bout of searching. She called for the aide again and together they set back to deliver her clues.
Ampere

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
We returned only to be sent out again, armed with our wit and another two riddles that had no definite answer. I returned to the forest, glancing around with a hapless blank expression. Neve set off to find something blue and Fina went for the other half of their game. A thing with more bark then bite -- knowing her, the object she'd return with was likely to be alive and wetting itself with terror.

Walking through the undergrowth, my lack of imagination isn't serving to aid our plight. All the ideas that flutter alive were obvious and unoriginal; luckily my company seems to enjoy this game. I can feel the raw competitive edge brewing excitement in Fina and the inquisitive, child like innocence for games and their like from Neve.

My attempts bore no fruit, at least in my opinion. It wasn't long before the ice princess returns from her search; she's enthusiastic about the find, which is obvious by way she glides to and fro -- herding a little creature to a cluster of flowers and trapping it there. I smiled wistfully, encouraged. "Aye," tis a delicate thing she'd brought. A shriek alerts us both to the flaming girl above our heads. A grey critter is clutched tightly in those ebony talons, those shinning black eyes are wide, shocked but glistening with life. I frown, discontent that the poor earth bore animal was terrified from being torn momentarily from its home; though at least tis unharmed. Far more fortunate than most who've crossed paths with a phoniex.

For centuries

CREDIT GOES HERE
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
Doubt comes in on sticks but then he kicks like a horse.
They returned, and Ampere appeared unharmed. The dun did not strive to place himself at her side, but instead lurked in the shadows (which was in fact impossible to do, given the light that he constantly cast), but it felt an awful lot like lurking in the shadows. If she hadn't seen him then ... perhaps she would not be aware of his (over)protective presence. If she knew that he was there and allowed it? All the better.

Listening to the painted Queen, Gaucho snorted. He did not like rhymes. Blue new. Bark bite." He repeated before shifting on his hind end and disappearing into the trees. The sooner he completed this task, the sooner he could return.

With the Edge's aid by his side, the Wildfire paused to quench his thirst from a stream. The liquid poured down his throat, causing his ears to bob as he drank. What was blue and new? A baby bird perhaps? But at every thought of blue, his thoughts were immediately directed to Ampere. But she was not of the Edge. She could not be a clue, no matter how frequently his thoughts turned to her.

Perhaps ... perhaps then he would think on Bark and bite. What had a bark worse than its bite?

As he strolled, he spied Archibald off in the distance training warriors. He had only met the giant a few times, and thankfully, only once in a spar. The dun had nearly lost his life that day, when the darkened creature had turned his bones to stone. A tense truce had developed between the two in the caves, although they hadn't spoken since. With pride, the Wildfire looked on. He had no one to train his army, as the Edge did.

Perhaps this land of glass and games was not all it appeared to be.

Image Credits -- Table style by Tamme!
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

Kahlua the Sunshower was waiting when he returned - though it seemed like few others had been the same way inclined. Bodies were scuttling hither and thither between the trees surrounding, far busier it seemed than he, yet there were none strikingly familiar – no Gaucho, no Ampere...

I’m not sure we needed to come back after all... he mused quietly before his vivid gaze found the Official that had been trailing he and Veci all morning. With a chivalrous smile and a respectful swing of his skull (should she have been watching at all), Hector turned from Kahlua and smiled at the oncoming horse. Ears swivelled forward to receive the news - the second set of clues, and he thanked the other warmly – even though the mare’s bright voice had carried the same well enough.

Alright Veci... he began, reeling in the wicked Boggart who had not quite finished his examination of the black and white Queen. VECI, come please. She is not to be your quarry. The tone of his thoughts allowed no room for cunning misinterpretation, and the spectre-like creature returned his attention resentfully. This time we are searching for something blue and new, and something with a bark worse than its bite. Thoughts? A sneer passed across invisible lips, and the air in front of the large chestnut began to waver and ripple as what appeared to be a dark mist, began to grow.

Steadily the Boggart took shape and his interpretation was stunningly accurate (even if a little unsteady) – all apart from the ridiculous flowers growing in place of his partner’s magnificent ivory horns, and the pink, naked chicken wings tucked against each side.

Hector groaned wearily – his tolerance was growing thin; almost as lean as his love of riddles. Why could this not have been a battle of strength? Long, robust legs turned beneath his mammoth frame, and he walked back towards the forest. You are a thorn in my side, Boggart.

With his eyes peeled for sign of a canine creature, anything blue or something new, the Dragon Warrior found himself striding down a well trodden path between old towers redwoods whose mighty trunks grew nearly as round as he did high. It was an ancient forest he knew – he had visited these parts years before when his mane was still hogged and Mirage still led the Qian, but the foreknowledge did little to quell the overwhelming sense of inferiority. He descended a gentle slope and found the mist which had welcomed his arrival so long ago, still lingered like a smooth briny sea at the bottom. It was still morning, he remembered vaguely, and wondered with ever fading focus just how long these riddles would take – with any luck; the final round would be a show of skill and strength in martial arts.

As visions of himself locked in battle clouded his mind, Hector forgot entirely to mind his step (which by then was well masked beneath the low, rolling fog.

He struck a rock unexpectedly and stumbled forward gracelessly (a perfect example of how he would not represent the Sun in a spar), and crashed hard across his thick knees. "Ve..." he began to scold the mischievous ghost impulsively, but he noticed as the mist whirled away in a wind-spooked frenzy, that his bonded had gathered into a clever canine apparition beyond the bubbling spring, the blasted trip-hazard, and an enamoured grin curled through his expression - You are a genius, brother.

The Official was close behind and he received their answer dutifully.

Feeling a little more confident, and trying hard not to think about his stinging, grazed knees, the copper giant turned to climb the little hill which had brought them into the booby-trap filled pit. It would do him no good at all (nor his reputation) to break a leg or worse in a game that was supposedly tame. In no time at all he and Veci were galloping swiftly back along the path towards the lush cliff-top pasture.

As the trees thinned around them, Hector slowed and cast his bright, orange eyes about in search of their next clue – something blue. This territory was nothing like the desert in any respect. Where he might naturally have searched for an oasis animal or the crystal-blue lake, there was only soft grass, and a sheer plunge beyond into the ocean. Not one to be outdone however, he barrelled forward while his companion dithered, watching ravenously the horses mulling throughout the meadow.

A few shrubs were all that broke the monotonous tide of green, and it was to these that his focus was drawn suddenly. He had never seen anything like it. Enormous wingspan tucked snug against his sweat-sodden flanks and he zoned in like a raptor on its prey. Something new, and blue! he confirmed in thought alone, and with a broadening, victorious grin, the stallion turned to reveal his answer to the Official.

Veci, he called at last, suddenly aware that he had lost track of the mischievous creature during his search. Narrowing glare discovered the Boggart’s rippling form before an unsuspecting (presumably) resident of World’s Edge, and he made no secret of his disapproval. Rotten Boggart, you will have us both thrown from the border. Come now, we are ready for the next clue. And though disgruntled, the spectre dissolved and danced away after his bonded.

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
As strong as the seas are stormy.</style>

The games are fun, if rather challenging. Hotaru happily returns, her Edge denizen in tow, practically skipping with the challenge being presented to her. It was why she was such a hoarder of material items; she loved the challenge of stealing, of moving unnoticed, concealed, until the very last moment. Though the Edge games were far more honest, it was still a challenge. And Hotaru really loved challenges.

Traipsing in a little late, she flicked her silver plume delicately and tried not to shudder, remembering how the Edge had been her home for a very short amount of time. How she'd trespassed once as a spindly foal, trying to find her Goddess in the pit of despair she'd fallen into. Regardless, her memory from back then was rather good, but the Edge had changed. As had all the other herds, but Hotaru was not going to dwell on the wraiths so soon. She had far more...fun things to deal with.

They are given a new riddle, and Hotaru grins, a vixen in an equine face. Practically prancing off, she quickly caught the eye of her Edge helper and began silently communicating her answer as they walked. The other was not found for quite a while, but Hotaru knew she would have bountiful time. The Edge woods were perfect for what she sought, but her amusement at what she'd eventually found could not be broadcast to the others. Hotaru did not want any of the others snooping around her and stealing her answers, after all. But it was still rather hilarious.

Image Credits
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei
“In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.”
― Michael Jackson

The queen's riddle was easy on the ears but took a toll on my head. My competitive spirit had kicked in full force and I was going to come up with both items that she sent us gathered to scrambling after. It comforted me to see others seemingly stumped by her words.

"We have bonded thanks to our first little outing," I fell into step with my silent companion, "the question is: Was it enough for you to drop just the tiniest of clues during this leg of our adventure together?" I smiled gently and looked up at him from under my lashes, "Nothing major. Just a tip. Some advice. A push in the right direction." My steps faltered a little with every request until I was standing still. "Gosh darn it! You could at least say no!" Trying to hide a grin I cast a playful scowl at my game official's back and scrambled to catch up.

While still trying to get some conversation out of my escort I wandered even more than what I had the first time before finally stumbling upon my chosen answers. The first answer was once again found at my hoof. Tripping over a rock I looked down at it wide eyed as it split into two. My second answer was found as it flitted from flower to flower happily working away.

Credits: Thank you Shady and Tamme!
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.