the Rift

[OPEN] how can I be everything they want me to be?

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Orders swam in his mind, like blueprints spelled out before his mind's eye, convoluted, converging. Tired hooves drag him along across the sands, dragging furrows in the clay of the soft banks of the Oasis. A terrible habit, one that drew him to the waters when his mind was hectic and he needed the peace and stillness that embodied the waters of the Oasis. He is tired, beyond in fact, having slept little aside from snatches due to the events of the past few days. Patrolling with Amani, helping Ampere with the festival, helping Gaucho with his quest, patrolling again with Rhoa and Tandavi, receiving orders for the item box, worrying over Ryuu and Ranjiri and their patrols...his mind was as weary as his muscles, his hooves ached and his body creaked in a fashion not suiting his age. Ilaria chittered softly from his hips. You are running yourself ragged, Cera. Her admonishment was surprisingly soft. Ilaria knew that Cera did it out of love, that he would sooner break his own legs and never sleep again than feel as if he had somehow failed his herd and his family. She was also aware that he often didn't listen to her, and likely would continue to ignore her reprimands.

True to assumption, Cera softly snorted and a wry smile twisted his lips, exhaustion heavy in his eyes. I must, Illy. My family needs me. Wandering away from his rather disheveled reflection, Cera let his magic seep halfheartedly into the ground, searching out the best metal deposits for the box Gaucho had asked him for. Ilaria snorted inelegantly from his hips, where she was sprawled lazily despite the constant rocking of his steps. Surely you cannot help them when you are half dead, she refuted. All she got was a quiet snort once more from her Prince. Together they traveled from the Oasis to the pyre of the Shrine, staring into the dancing flames with a melancholic thread tangling in his soul.

The actual creation of the box was rather easy, but he exerted himself far too much as his magic drew and torched the sides over the fires Tandavi tended so carefully. Cera sometimes missed that particular job, but he knew better than to fall back into his old emotions of despair and agonized questions over why he had been thrust from his rank. Had he somehow failed his Lord?

There was little time to dwell on that, because his knees were buckling beneath his own exhaustion and he collapsed beside the box he'd just made. His breaths came hard and heavy, little trembles quaking on his skin and deep into his muscles. Ilaria squawked as she was thrown to his shoulders, only to jump from his body to the box and then to the sand, squealing in worry. Cera huffed a pathetic laugh and slumped to his side, his brief chuckle stirring the dry sands in a small cloud. Peace, Ilaria. I'm just...tired. Just tired... even his thoughts were muddled. He lay beside his new creation, too tired to move, but reluctant to allow his eyes to shut.

Have to tell Gaucho...it's done... Ilaria chittered angrily, clearly frustrated with him as her little paws stamped on the earth. You are no good to Gaucho dead on your feet! Cera narrowed his eyes dangerously at the mere insinuation that he was not capable of helping his Sultan, no matter his physical state. "I will always be of use to him, until I really am dead on my feet," he hissed aloud, eyes glinting tired, manic emotion. Ilaria sighed, her frantic emotions dulling into something resigned, something understanding. Gaucho is proud of you, Cera. He wouldn't want you doing this to yourself. Cera tore his gaze from her, unable to believe it, unable to see her looking at him with such sadness. "It's not enough. It's never enough." I just have to work harder.

And my momma said that every man is only worth his unbroken word
I am Ceraaaa
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
And I'd bring you further roses but it does you no good
The Prince and his King were not so different. Gaucho too would work himself into the ground if it meant fulfilling obligations. Gaucho would never let anyone down willingly - he, like Cera, would bend until he broke before ever allowing himself to quit or give up. Excuses would not keep his family safe, and a good nights rest would not discharge obligations. The herd came first before everything else, even his own health.

While the Wildfire did not look nearly as exhausted as Cera, he was close. The Dun had pushed himself during this part of his quest, forcing his body to react to those around him even when he could not see them. Using Mara as his eyes depleted his mental energy perhaps unsurprisingly fast. But it wasn't only that ... it couldn't be. Gaucho had been exhausted lately. He did sleep but it felt as though he was never completely refreshed. He had chalked it up to Sohalia's absence and the increased responsibility placed upon him. Traveling to retrieve Phaedra's body, Hotaru's capture ... his argument with Ophelia and then Tandavi. It was too much. It used up all of him, but still he pushed on.

Mara and Ilaria certainly thought the same things of their bonded's.

Still, when the Wildfire saw Cera through Mara's eyes, by the fire, it didn't even occur to him not to walk over. Rasta had criticized him for not hanging out with his herd - it was another task to complete. The dark patches, normally close to his eyes seemed to have darkened and expanded with the weight of the world Gaucho felt ever present on his striped shoulders. As he moved, still gracefully however wearily across the sands, he saw the boy collapse. Picking up a brisk canter immediately, ignoring the whine of sloth from his muscles, he bridged the distance rapidly.

Nostrils flaring he halted abruptly, though was careful not to spray Cera with sand. Mara slipped quickly down from his antlers to slide closer to the golden prince, her black gaze bright with concern. She looked to Ilaria for a moment then back at Cera. If she could have spoken and known Ilaria's thoughts she might have suggested that she paralyze the prince, forcing him to rest.

"Cera." Gaucho breathed, dropping to his barred knees beside the prince, and fanning his great blackened wings over the boy's frame. Flames licked and lingered on Gaucho's black feathers as they caressed the prince's gold and white coat, partially to reassure him, partially so that he might know where the boy was without Mara's eyes.

The ragged breathing of his fire brother combined with a lack of physical injury suggested to the Wildfire that either magic had done this, or Cera's body had. He was either sick, poisoned, or cursed by magic in some way. Mara hissed her concern as Gaucho's blocky antlered skull moved toward's Cera's face. He could only see Cera through Mara's eyes, which now that she wasn't in his antlers was bizarre, given it was from a completely different angle.

"Cera-" He whispered again, fear tight in his chest. He knew nothing of healing magic (perhaps he should focus on that, rather than invisibility given how often danger and damage lurked around him). What had happened to Cera? There was no one around - no suggestion of a struggle.

Table style by Tamme! Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ilaria is first to notice Gaucho, as tired and distracted as Cera was. He was safe in the Throat, so his guards were farther down than normal. The panda glanced up as the familiar scent touched her little nose, and warm brown eyes sought out Gaucho's. Only, they were blank and staring into the distance, and she furrowed her little brow. Clarity only came as she recalled Cera's memory of when Gaucho had informed him of his oncoming quest requirements. Blindness. Instead she sought out Mara's serpentine gaze, her fondness for the snake odd considering their difference in species, but Cera's emotions and her own were intertwined so tightly they were nearly inseparable. Incapable of being determine whose belong to whom at times. Giving an odd mewing sound, a pitiful cry of help for her Prince, she scurried backwards to make way for the approaching Sultan.

Cera jolted weakly at the sudden commotion, limbs jerking uselessly as he attempted to lift his head and capture Gaucho's visage in his suddenly swimming vision. His name called him to attention, and he managed to shove one of his shoulders harder against the earth to prop himself up into a more presentable position. His head swam in protest, but at least he no longer looked laid out dead upon the sands. "Gaucho," he croaked, feeling shame creep upon him for appearing so pitiful. Only, Ilaria quickly amended that particular statement. Gaucho is blind, Cera. His heart jumped to his throat at the reminder.

His king dipped to kneel beside him, and though the shame was still strong in his little breast Cera couldn't deny that as one warm wing cast itself over him, he felt a sense of peace and safety fall over him like a cloak. Light danced on his golden skin, a phantom of the pyre that stood beside them, casting warmth upon their tired forms. It seemed Cera was not the only one running on fumes. Tentatively he brushed his nose towards Gaucho's, trying to give him a frame of reference aside from Mara's eyes. The worried set to his name called him to mind, away from his dazed state.

"I'm fine, Gaucho. Just...been working too much, I suppose. I was going to bring this to you...I'm so sorry, Gaucho," he fell to a whisper, the shame returning tenfold. He had failed him, and not only had he managed to stop working, he was laid out beneath his mentor in proof of his failure. Still, he weakly moved towards the heavy weight of the wing upon him, his own rucking up against the feathers dark and warm upon the ivory of his own. Seeking out the familiar touch, the comfort of his Sultan cast in the glow of the Shrine. He seemed just as tired, just as world weary and cast down as Cera felt.

His concern for Gaucho trumped all feelings of his own, exhaustion and self-concern included. "Are you well, Gaucho? You seem as tired as I feel," he murmured, concern like a beacon that granted him temporary strength. "Is there anything I can do?" Truly not the best time to be suggesting himself, but Cera's desire to help Gaucho was nigh instinctive.

I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
As Cera's nose brushed against Gaucho's pierced muzzle the dun snorted slightly having not expected the touch. Half of him wished Mara would return to his antlers so that he could see properly from the correct angles, but he knew the snake would be where she needed.

His heart eased considerably. It appeared the boy was just tired. Gaucho more than understood, and there was no disappointment in his stoic gaze. If anything he was proud. The box sat completed next to his crafter. It was as it should be. Cera had completed his task. He had more than earned this rest, even if it would brought on by physical exhausted rather than pure choice.

"It fine." The Wildfire offered dismissively, turning his gaze towards where the metal box sat. It was pleasing to look at (or maybe it was just because it was an object that Gaucho could see on his own. It would suit the purpose it was created for nicely. "Not sorry. Cera first to finish task. First step toward completing herd quest for Sun God, finished by you." He emphasized this by pressing his nose where he thought Cera's shoulder was. If only the rest of his herd could be as diligent as the golden prince was. They would conquer all of Helovia in a few days if they all had even half the heart that the painted builder did. It wasn't fair of course, to paint them all as being lazy and indeed many were not. Although very few had impressed him nearly as much as Cera had. His Golden was nothing if not consistent.

A smile parted Gaucho's dark lips as Cera offered to do more. As if he wasn't already stretched out on the sands. The dun shook his antlered skull. There was nothing Cera could do. This burden was his to bear - he wouldn't complain as he completed his own tasks, just as Cera hadn't. Even if he couldn't help but feel more tired than he ought to, he dismissed the thought. Perhaps he was simply getting old.

"No. This Gaucho's quest to finish. It will be over soon." He advised.

Looking around he realized that the two were alone - why hadn't Sacre helped with this? Serenity? He knew the unicorn boy was planning on going to the Basin, perhaps he had done so already. But the girl? Serenity seemed flighty at best. He wasn't surprised that she wasn't here doing her part. Ruffling his feathers Gaucho shook his head. "Cera one who need help. Need more crafters. That way it not always fall to you to do get things done."

Gaucho leaned back, his darkened feathers peeling backwards over the golden skin to give Cera room to breath and shift if he would. Around the Prince's hooves Mara hissed gently, overwhelming glad that he was indeed alright. Like Ilaria, she didn't like how much he pushed himself, especially if it was just in service to Gaucho. Did the dun even realize the hold he had over the golden youth? Cera would work himself into the ground if Gaucho asked. In his haste to complete the Throat's quest would he ask?

Even in blind eyes, Cera could tell there was no disappointment in his mentor's gaze, no disapproval lingering in the forefront of his mind. Were he of a more emotional type, he likely would have sobbed then and there, though it would have been a rather hysterical sort. No, instead he just felt relief flow through him like an eddy, revitalizing and hopeful. It turned into a whirlpool, a rush of pride that made his head dizzy with the speed of it as Gaucho spoke, gazing upon Cera's creation. His heart beat like war drums, like hooves racing towards battle, like the manic rush of a stampede. He'd made Gaucho proud. He had finally achieved something, even though it had required days of sleepless work and nasty looks from Ranjiri. It was euphoric, like reaching the highest level of heaven. Gaucho's perception of him drove him to do more, be better, and even if it drove him into an early grave he'd never feel regretful.

Warmth spread across his shoulder where Gaucho touched him, and he felt like a livewire, sparking beneath the connection. The smile that spread against his skin was worth more to him than all of Helovia, any title or crown that could be placed upon his head. Gaucho's smile was like currency, like gold and silver and diamonds by the pound. Precious, treasured. Gaucho never forgot him, never left him by the wayside. At times, Cera wished blood was not so permanent. He wished he could garner the same feelings as Gaucho's son, but he had settled and accepted the reality of their situation. Instead, he strove for perfection. Flawlessness. A sheer surface. Until he was like tempered metal, strong and useful. Until he could be Gaucho's shield, carried into battle, protecting the man who had taken up the pedestal of a father and mentor to the prince of the sands.

Still he smiled, even as Gaucho rejected his offer. It was understanding, but loving in a way that Cera could not accurately put into a box. There were no labels for how he loved Gaucho, no boundaries that could not be exceeded. "Yes, it is your quest. But I am here, no matter what you need of me. You do not have to do it alone." Cera would never leave Gaucho to fight a battle alone, be it physical or metaphorical. He was sword and shield to his Sultan, weapons to be utilized. No beast was too strong or weary too heavy for Cera to fight when it came to the Wildfire. They could be alone together, facing the world like ivory statues, pillars for their family. Understanding of each other's ways and plights.

"After Bucephalus was promoted, I might need some help. But I can't promise I won't still do it all myself," he admitted with a sheepish laugh. Mara's hiss drew his attention and he lowered his muzzle to her, breathing warm cloven breath upon her scaled form to assure her he was okay, and certainly appreciated her concern. She was nearly as bad as Ilaria was, he thought to himself with amusement. Then again, they were bonded to two souls who were determined to work themselves into the afterlife, he couldn't blame her worry.

@[Gaucho]

I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Had he counted on any as the way he had Cera? Sohalia perhaps...but, ah. Often those who are connected in physical ways do seem to encumber themselves in special obligations. But she had let him down in a way that Cera never had (although it was possible that because of those physical connections between he and Sohalia, that the youth was incapable of betraying him as she had). Regardless, the point stood. There were very few that Gaucho had relied on, and even fewer who had pleased him as much as Cera had. No one else in the entirety of the Throat showed the dedicated and devoutness that the Golden Prince had bled all his life. It practically burned through his golden pelt - spots of unmarred white, signifying his loyalty and purity.

Cera the Pure.

Cera the Golden Prince.

Cera his Golden Son.

The dun nodded as Cera suggested he did not have to complete his quest alone. Gaucho nearly chuckled at this - he might have said that it was he who needed to complete it, but never that it would be completed alone. Didn't Cera understand that his mere presence in the herd, in Gaucho's mind, and in his heart was constant? That the dun would never face his trials alone?

Gaucho exhaled softly. "Never alone, that right. Gaucho have family. Have Cera." Always.

As the Prince mentioned Bucephalus, Gaucho leaned even further back, casting his stormy gaze into the sky. Bucephalus .... the MorningStar was nothing compared to the Golden Prince. It seemed the black stallion meant well enough ... and certainly he tried, but their was a spark of honesty in Cera that was decidedly lacking in his new Chancellor. His promotion had been necessary at the time ... but had Gaucho been hasty? His blind gaze turned back to the Prince, and through Mara's eyes he regarded him silently.

Why had Cera never expressed interest in the Throne his father, Midas once held?

The Prince stood shoulder to shoulder with Gaucho as a brother, and a friend within the herd. Did he ever desire to stand abreast with his Sultan as an equal ?

Sighing Gaucho forced a smile and a nod. "You do it better anyways. Cera good with metal." That was certainly true. The paint was the best crafter they had had since ... well, since Sohalia all those years ago. But hadn't Cera been a crafter then as well?

Yet only one of them remained.

Only one.

Only Cera.

Fate had the oddest mechanisms, ways of working that Cera would never understand. He had been left to fend for himself as a weanling, only to be found and raised by the hero of the land he'd once been but a ghost on. Raised with a crown he'd never felt he deserved, only to rarely see the soul who had taken him under wing and given him life and purpose once more. Then he had been abandoned, one after another, until all he'd had left was the desert sand beneath his hooves. He'd been left with nothing, been living with barely anything. A bleeding heart on a tattered sleeve, no guide and nobody to give guidance. Gaucho had been a distant memory, and once upon a time he too had abandoned Cera. But in the end, what was important was that Gaucho had come back. So while Gaucho questioned whether a time would ever come when he would ask Cera to give it all, to give past his limits, for Cera there was never any qualms with his answer. Yes. It had always been and always would be a singular, inexplicable, yes. Gaucho had not left Cera alone to drown in his sorrow, his weakness, and so Cera would give and give and give until his body gave way and he was of no more use.

It had never crossed his mind that he might be allowed to take, sometimes.

A slow smile creased the cherub's lips. "Yes. Always." As if Cera thought it were somehow impossible to not tell Gaucho that, to not make it obvious that he had Cera wholly, completely. As if he somehow needed to always remind him, make it obvious. The topic died peacefully, put to rest by the strength of their bonds. Cera did not like to think upon Gaucho's blindness, it made a surge of desperate protectiveness swell like a tidal wave in his breast, instinctive. Not that he didn't believe Gaucho could handle himself even incapacitated, but Cera's love had no bounds, no logical capacities. Still, he did not notice for a moment that Gaucho was staring down at him with those exact sightless eyes, but Cera calmly turned to meet his gaze, hoping he would find whatever he sought reflected in the Prince's eyes.

Whatever it was he found, it was not mentioned, though Cera sent an inquisitive look at Gaucho (hoping Mara would capture the expression with her eyes). He was still ever reliant upon the language he and Gaucho shared, one of the body rather than the tongue. His blindness was not something Cera could grow accustomed to yet, so used to expressing himself physically to Gaucho.

A soft, humble laugh escaped the young forger. Happiness washed into his very pores at Gaucho's simple praise, and he seemed to glow, like a broken star leaking brightness onto his frame. "Thank you, Gaucho. I want to do...everything. Ilaria heals, I forge metal...I used to be Diviner, too. I want to fulfill whatever you ask me," he admitted easily, eyes turning to Gaucho as if they'd never left. "Midas..." and it hurt to say his father's name, to have the endearment ripped away by his own will, but he had to power on. "Midas did not approve of me learning to fight. I was too eager to help, when he went to war. Perhaps you can teach me? So I may be better, for the Throat, for our kin?" Cera would rather die a horrible death at the hands of his people than fail them when he could march into battle and be an effective fighter.

@[Gaucho]

I am Ceraaaa
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO
Life had a funny way of fucking with you every now and then.

None of Gaucho's kin had the same bond as the one that passed between he and Cera. He had fought for Sohalia once, before her disappearance. Had fought with Ampere. He had fought with, and for just about everyone he cared about, and yet they had all slipped out of his grasp. The right words hadn't been spoken, or perhaps if they had, they had fallen far too primitively from his lips to matter. Gaucho's heart was as simplistic as his mind - he only knew what he wanted and what he felt. There were no locked parts of himself, not really. He was not veiled, he was just ... one sided. The look in Sohalia's eyes that always asked for - demanded and needed - more from him, always went unanswered.

But not with Cera.

He had never fought for Cera. If anything, he had betrayed the Prince. Had physically lashed out at him.

And yet here he was. He didn't ask for words, and had humbly and welcomingly accepted those that Gaucho offered. Cera hadn't demanded Gaucho to solidify whatever it was that was between them. He had never asked Gaucho to qualify or clarify how they had gone from a pseudo father and son, to brothers. Perhaps it was because the Golden Prince knew that Gaucho wouldn't be capable but ... truly the dun believed it was because he didn't need it. Cera didn't need words of confirmation, because everything unspoken between them was already abundantly clear. It was certain.

Gaucho loved the Prince. It didn't matter how or why. He just did, and that was enough.

Yes. Always.

The words parted the Wildfire's dark lips, as a simple but genuine smile slowly grew. It matched the one which had blossomed on Cera's own lips, and from Mara's lowered perspective it was all that Gaucho could see and sense coming from his bonded.

"Heal ..." Gaucho mumbled after a time. It had occurred to him during one of his recent spars that the ability to heal would be exceedingly useful, especially give how injured he often found himself. But now looking down at where Cera's body brushes against the sands, he was forcefully reminded. "Gaucho like to learn to heal. Maybe Ilaria can teach Gaucho." He chuckled softly.

"Midas .. protective." Gaucho's mind fondly traced back to a time when he first met Ranjiri upon these sands. Recalled her trying to fly, and the look of horror and panic upon the painted Sultan's face then at the thought of his daughter being hurt. Gaucho slowly shook his head. Whatever strength Midas once had, he was losing. He was too protective of that which he had. He coveted it - his lands, his children - and held them close. Restricting and binding them with his mind and his love until they were distorted versions of themselves. The paint had lost his way. Or so the dun thought. "Too protective. Cera strong. Ilaria strong too. Gaucho will teach-" The words briefly caught in his throat. The line between son and brother blurred heavily in his mind, as pride bubbled up into his mouth, weighing his tongue down. His children, young as they were, fought their pretend wars with one another, but none seemingly had an interest in actually learning to fight. To protect, for that was truly the purpose of it all. Every time Gaucho trained, sparred, it was all for his family. All for the Throat. Gaucho cared little about glory and entirely about the protection of his home.

"Yes." He confirmed, finally pushing the word from his lips and letting it fall from his tongue and his stoic and stormy gaze closed. A slow breath left his darkened lips, as his brow lowered. He was not surprised Midas wanted to protect the young prince, but the beauty that Gaucho saw within him was not one which could be preserved by hiding him away.

In his eyes, Cera shone brightest in his capacity as a Prince of the sands. A champion of it.