the Rift

[OPEN] Sometimes, we fall

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
amaris
Where have you been, little child?

Scales glistened beneath the warm rays of sunlight, their golden yellow light shimmering along the spine of the pale crème belle. Wings were extended, though not held aloft, for the strength that once resided in the muscles of the shoulders were all but withered away. The breeze that danced along this otherwise tepid BirdSong day was a saving grace - without it, the girl would surely not have been able to summon the strength required to simply lift a hoof enough to drag it a few inches.

What happened to you, little child?

The girl breathed ragged breaths, her lungs held onto the oxygen shakily before exhaling. Each inhale was an effort that almost cost her her consciousness, each step pushed her closer and closer to that point where she might not be able to recover. Sweat that had coated her winter coat months ago still clung to her, great clumps of the dirty pelt matted along the usually smooth, plump areas of her body. But no such areas existed anymore - only her scales shone, reflecting in the Sun that beat down upon her, but even they were in need of a clean and polish in a riverbed to return to their true splendour.

After having ventured to the borders of her beloved cousin's realm, the dragon-child had gladly accepted the Throat as her home and prepared to work for the good of the herd. But sickness had taken her, and before she even had a chance to become known to any other than her cousin, she had fled, isolated herself in fear that she had caught something that could destroy this new family she had pledged herself to. It was not a sickness caused by magic, but by mere microbes, a form of influenza she likely picked up on her travels around the world or even just around Helovia.

It had crippled her.

For weeks she had coughed, unable to eat and barely able to drink more than a small mouthful at a time, for the sickly feeling that followed such activities was painful and unpleasant - there were many points Amaris thought she would not awaken the next time her eyes shut. For some of it, her glowing companions had lingered, but with barely the strength to stand, the girl could not hold their spirits in this world - she had been disconnected from them for months now, the longest stint she had been without them since their arrival by her side when she was but a day old.

So the girl arrived at the borders of her once-home again, but this time she was not robust with health. No, this time she was frail and broken, with spinous process jutting out along her back like a mountain range, running into and all the way along her tail. As the earth beneath her hooves turned to sand, the girl tripped, and like a golden leaf falling from a tree in autumn, she collapsed to the sandy basin beneath her, a small huff leaving her body on the impact.

"Tan - davi…"
Brush Credit
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks

Tandavi</style>
i'll light a fire in your new shoes</style>

There is no end to the shifting tide of life, no way to stabilize the world, make it stand still or undergo examination for any duration longer than the width of a breath. From the youngest in a sprawling family to the loneliest grain of desert sand; from quiet, rarely-spoken filly to opinionated, infuriated mare; from child to medic, from medic to oracle; from outsider to insider and insider to queen; so many changes have swept through the girl's life that firedancer is left in a whirlwind blur, completely incapable of fathoming it all.

She can say with no certainty how it all happened; looking back on the steps of her life, she is still too young to follow their trajectory toward anything remotely resembling sense. Wasn't she a child mere hours ago, running rampant in misty meadows, heedless of the laws and expectations of their world? Wasn't she a girl simple seconds ago, afraid of the dark, with no greater desire than to serve beneath the Sun and defend the ones she loved? Isn't a part of her still those things, even if she is now so much more, weighed down by expectations and carried high on misplaced belief?

But who believes in her, really? Gaucho? She isn't sure what to make of the brute. Does he regret his impulsive decision, his promotion of a child who lacks control of her own power? I believe, her brother proclaims from his position beneath her, sheltered from the worst of the sun by the long, thin shadow she casts on the sand. She smiles- Good, because you're in on this, too- long strides leaving him struggling to keep up, lanky limbs leaving clear hoof prints in the brush and sand.

They have spent a decent amount of time at the outskirts of their home, walking its narrow border, relishing the final days before it becomes an island. Yet another change in the string of newness, another shift of the world which the girl is not sure she feels comfortable with. The world does not ask her what she wants; it never has, in her tender years, never once invited her to weigh in on her life. She has learned that there is no justice except what you make, no fairness aside what you create; and so she tries to see the world through her moral code, to create a reality both fair and just, if not constant.

For there is always change.

Boy and his sister cannot say who is the first to see her. As though a single set, gilded and onyx gazes seem to take in the figure simultaneously, two hearts leaping into closed off throats. The slope of shoulders, the glitter of scales; the way the long tail sprawls into the sand is painfully familiar yet horrifyingly wrong and suddenly, mechanically, they find that they are at her side-

And there are words in throats, and touches on skin-

And there is fire everywhere, a powerful exhalation of embers dancing on the dragon's spine-

And the boy is nestled against their cousin's chest, while the girl throws her neck across too-thin shoulders-

And there is too much emotion for simple tears, too many feelings to possibly express, but the embers are working their magic as quickly as the fire child can wield them-

-(she is so very happy, yet so afraid)-

And she prays to all the Gods who will listen, that if she ever saves anyone, let it be her; if it takes her life so be it; if it leaves her broken upon the desert sand, it will have been worth it, far more than worth it, to see her live-

And in a shuddering voice, bright with adrenalin, heavy with exhaustion, deep with love, she whispers and screams and prays and exhales-

"Amaris. Amaris. I love you. Don't leave."-

And silently, mentally, she adds, Not again.

image by tambako @ flickr.com</style>

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

amaris
She felt the fire first, its searing heat scorched it way down her spine, it's blinding light illuminated all that was wrong within her, and always, it burned. A moan, a groan might have breathed its way from her golden muzzle, her brows knitted with pain as her eyes fluttered against pale creme lashes. It wasn't until the remnants of the infection were seared away that the girl realised the fire was soothing, not burning, that it was the lingering illness which so painfully fought against the purifying effects being thrown upon her. The girl breathed deep now, a sigh filling her lungs, exhaling just as she realises she is within the embrace of the one she has missed all this time, breathing in the scent of kitsune and desert horse with sharp relief. The alleviation of the infection was bliss; the realisation of her cousin - no, truly, her sister in all ways except the nearness of their blood - was euphoric.

The girl leans into the embrace, extending her muzzle to nearly scoop the dark bundle that rests at her chest, purring a deep song within her that was unique to the draconic heritage her blood allowed. The fire within had purged the infection, and now it lent her strength, so that she might walk to the oasis and further replenish herself.

But none of that mattered compared to the immediate and all-consuming need to simply hold, and be close to her sister of desert sands and fiery hearts. "Tandavi," the dragon-child murmurs, her voice parched and crackly, her tone deep and loving all the same. "Natraj," she adds, brushing her whiskered chin along the dark fur of the creature bundled by her. And finally, golden pools peek out from behind pale lids, having remained shut for this long in fear that like a ghost or a myth, her beloved sister would cease to exist - or in fact, never have really existed at all - but when she beheld the frame that was reminiscent of family and familiarity she could not stop the tears that sprung to them. Her strength was not up to the shuddering release of such emotions, however, and she found herself gasping for breath once again.

"-I'm... okay," she murmured as she coughed the last of the desert sand and muck up from her lungs.

"I love you too," it was barely a whisper, a breath passing through her lips, but she had to say it, with a small smile upon her caramel lips to puntuate it - and to say all the things her voice wasn't up to vocalising yet - I'll never leave again, I'm sorry, I'm a wretched fool, please forgive me, please love me and hold me and never let me go again. The child, looking so much younger for the weakness that still marked her frame, rocked herself to gather her limbs beneath her, but then had to rest one more - each motion drained what little strength the healing had offered her. Her progression would be slow, painfully so, but it would be progression nonetheless.
Brush Credit
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Tandavi The Fire Dancer Posts: 245
World's Edge Nurse atk: 6.5 | def: 9 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Natraj :: Plain Kitsune :: Fire Charks
Tandavi
I'll light a fire in your new shoes.
Her voice is a punch of cold water on a summer day, warm stones in frostfall and clover in spring. Copper child leans into it, draping herself carefully across the cousin's form; a sigh escapes her, contentment tempered with exhaustion, relief and happiness the primary dancers in a tableau of emotion which stains her mind. Slowly the leftover fire flows back, embers condensing about the girl's spine, dimmer than they had been minutes before; flickering, fading, as her energy fails, but that's alright. It does not matter if she is weak; all that matters is Amaris is strong.

Their names are barely whispers on the dragon's dry lips, but it is enough to reassure the pair, to promise that all will soon be well. Worry and trials melt away; they are a burden for another moment, not this one, which is beautiful. The soft sigh of Amaris' breaths and the beat of her heart soothe the child, carrying her gently to a peaceful place, a land of memories before heartache and dismay were the main chords played in the symphonic backdrop of her life. Onyx eyes shut. She could stay like this forever.

But of course, she can't.

The world returns in a gentle roll, water pressing against her awareness, implacable whispers of responsibility, unease. Lids flutter open reluctantly, exposing dark eyes to the bright light of day; she stretches, adjusts, unwillingly peels herself away from the skin of her cousin, the comforting embrace of a distant past. There is a present to return to, a future to approach, and though the tribulations of a moment before still weigh as heavy as they ever did, looking at her cousin the girl thinks that maybe she can be strong enough to carry it all.

Tandavi stands on gilded legs, shaking off sand and desert debris. The shadow presses against the dragon, unwilling to relinquish his space in her warmth, but the girl knows she must stay on watch. Fire dancer watches them both, vigilant and loving, strong and resolute despite the weariness which permeates the marrow of her bones. "Rest," she tells her cousin, her sister, gentleness in the alto voice. Soft nostrils brush the scales on her shoulder, the joint of her wing- "You are home now." Home, even though it isn't the forest, isn't the mist and the sea of the Moon- she's here, isn't she? That's enough, right?

Image Credit

o. pixel pony credit to tamme
o. permission granted to use force and magic on Tavi
o. only tag me in opening posts, please!

amaris
It is as if the firechild heard the thoughts that trickled hopelessly through the dragon's own mind, as she simply embraced her cousin, both of them supporting the other even if all they felt was supported themselves. Tears scorched a path through the dirt that had settled upon the silver-caramel hide, tears that burned brightly like a flame of passion and love, gifting her with energy of willpower to go on, to continue to survive. It was not until this happened that the girl realised just how close to giving up she had been, just how far her naïve mind had led her away from what was truly important.

It is together that they shut their eyes on the world, trusting in the land they rest upon and the kitsune that guards them that no further harm would touch them. The dragon clings to the moment, knowing that it cannot physically last forever, but perhaps if she remembered it well enough, it could feel that way.

Too soon, as always, the moment was over, and all Amaris had left to cling to it was her memory of it - and her cousin, of course.

The golden girl lifts her head as the firechild rises, her eyes glazed with tears, but happier, clearer, brighter than before, holding onto the dark depths of her cousin fondly, brushing her whiskered chin against the equally comforting presence of Natraj. Her sister of the sands stays close, and though the dragon longs to rise, she knows that she is safe, that here is where she was supposed to be, no matter where their beginnings were; their presents were here now.

Together.

So the girl does as she is bid, and rests. As her cousin touches upon her skin, a deep, resonate purr croons within her chest, and the girl curls her golden nape around the dark mass of the kitsune, and sleeps off the last of her ordeal.

[ END SCENE <3 ]
Brush Credit
I like being tagged!