the Rift

Let the wild rumpus start

Nimue Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Nimue
You shouldn’t fly at night, Nimue. Don’t do this, Nimue. Don’t do that, Nimue. Nighttime is dangerous, Nimue. Fuck that. Fuck all of them. I do what I want, and I want to fly at night. I’m not a child anymore. In fact, the assholes who fed me those bullshit lines have been out of my life for years. They probably barely remember me. Good riddance. Still, for some reason it’s wonderfully satisfying to give them the metaphorical middle finger. I can cruise through the treetops under these stars all night if I want--

Fuck. Something is clinging to my left wing, dragging on me. I turn my neck to see what it is, but then I feel my right hoof get snared, too. Twigs covered in fuzzy little buds are poking through my feathers. “Damn it!” I flap hard with my right wing, trying to capture whatever is left of my flagging momentum, but the worthless appendage only flails helplessly and tangles me further in the arbor, and now I’m definitely not flying anymore. I’m not exactly still either, though. I’m just kind of stuck awkwardly up in some big tree, shifting and swaying and trying to move about enough to kick myself free.

Pegasus aren’t actually birds, and we aren’t actually really built to perch in trees, and so it’s not really terribly surprising that instead of successfully taking off, I find myself tumbling down through the branches with a raucous clatter. At least I hear a couple satisfying cracks from the thinner limbs - if I’m going down, you’re coming with me, you fucking branches. My instincts help me out and my wings outstretch and begin to beat hard of their own accord, slowing my fall enough that I do not become a splattered mess of guts and gore soaking into the damp ground. Instead, I land in a heap on my side – a muddled mess of sticks and mud and feathers and fur.

Ow. But at least it’s not R.I.P. Nimue. That would be embarrassing.

I can feel the bruise forming along my shoulder as I push myself upright onto four hooves again. I’m not gonna lie: it feels pretty good. Pretty badass. I shake vigorously, shedding some of the looser artifacts from my coat and wings. Finally, I look around. Indeed, it’s a forest. What a surprise. It’s dense and dark here, but my eyes adjust, and it’s kind of hauntingly pretty. You just feel so connected and small when you're alone out here, you know?

OOC: Writing new characters is weird, sorry! I'd like to get her hooked up with the Throat or Edge but hey, the more the merrier.
I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know
Everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold.
Temari 09 - a1Star

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
I thought it through, I think I want it too,
'Cos I saw you there upon your chair, in the light of winter's air

His ears were alert to the slightest movement, a twitch, a rustle, Inari could hear it if he was hungry enough. He lingered near berry bushes were mice might be nearby looking to scavenge what they could; he hid well, silent and waiting. The vulpine had spotted his prey; it had tiptoed out from nearby undergrowth and now sat in his line of sight, cleaning its whiskers with tiny pink hands. He waited a little longer until the mouse was fully engulfed in his routine, lowering his body low to the floor as his legs coiled like a readied spring and spring he did! With well-practised speed, Inari shot from his advantaged position and claimed the rodent before it had chance to turn and run. It was a small kill, but a kill all the same, and he played with it in his paws before snapping its neck and consuming the poor, unsuspecting mouse. The meat would keep him satisfied for now until he had chance to catch something a little larger and with that task completed, Inari began to make tracks back to his bonded.

That was until he heard an almighty clatter.

If there was one thing to say about this red fox then it was his overwhelming need to meddle in business that was not his own. Utterly captivated by the desire to find the source of the noise, he set off in the general direction he had heard it and all the while he sent back images to Sacre, letting his red marked friend know where he was.

A couple of minutes later, the fiery coloured pest peered around a tree trunk to see the buckskin creature. She was one of those equines who could fly, tawny wings sprouting from her sides and she looked… Well, rather worse for wear. Bits of tree still dropped off whilst the area on a whole was just a broken mess of leaves and branches. Had she fallen? With great caution, Inari began to creep a little closer to the girl, crawling forwards with his body low to the ground and ready to turn to run. The images were still being sent to his bonded, who wasn’t all that far away and it was when the fox thought he was almost three quarters of a way to the mare that his friend burst in.

"Inari!" The boy shouted and the fox shot form his sneaking position, speeding back to the side of his blue eyed friend. Perhaps the adventure for the vulpine should stop there for now. Meanwhile, Sacre noticed the winged mare for the first time and hastily slammed to a halt, folds of dark mane falling onto his youthful, apologetic face. "Whoa! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to just-" he stopped mid sentence when he noticed the mess on the floor and quickly, the colt took a closer look at the buckskin belle with confused concern. "Uhm… Are you okay?" Stupid question Inari rebuked his friend with an arrogant flick of his white tipped tail. Sacre shot him a disgruntled look you’re only snarky because I interrupted whatever it was you were planning on doing he retorted.

(Would you like to be tagged? :D)

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Unregistered
Nimue
Everything seems so magnified when it’s dark: the trees creaking in the night breeze, the owls hooting to and fro, the animals twitching about in their sleep. I decide I like this forest place.

A rustling noise picks up from somewhere particularly close by. I guess I should see what it is, so I lower my gaze casually in the direction of the sound and flick my ears forward. A smaller animal sharpens into focus – pointy features and long fur, inching along the ground. I can smell the blood on its breath that labels it a carnivore, but it’s small and fuzzy, so it scarcely registers as a threat. It seems cute. If I stand really still, maybe it will come closer to me and I can get a better look. Maybe it will want to play. I’d love to play with someone. Okay, so I’ll keep my gaze away and hold my breath and maybe…

Inari!

My breath rushes out of me in a huff of disappointment, and I lift my head to see what had ruined the would-be moment. The dappled moonlight glances off something dark. I narrow my eyes and make out the form of a horned horse; the cute creature had scurried beside his legs. I had heard of these horned ones before, but this is the first time I’ve seen one. My disappointment quickly gives way to something far more pleasant - something like awe. “Don’t apologize,” I interject hastily. I forgot how gravelly and rough my voice sounds, but I like it. It suits me.

He asks if I’m okay, which seems like a reasonable question given the circumstances, but it will be a cold day in hell when I moan to some stranger about a few bruises. I stretch my wings upwards thoughtfully and offer a crooked smile his way. “Oh, yeah, it’s nothing,” I wave off the injuries dismissively. I mean, I'll sleep them off in no time anyways. Whatever.

Far more interestingly, the animal I had been watching seems familiar with this guy. I’m still a little fixated on both of them because, well, the whole situation is pretty incredible. I gesture to the pointy one and ask, “What’s that? I thought we were having a moment. Do you live alone out here?” Why am I babbling like this? It's been so long since I've talked to someone that now I sound like some kind of socially challenged moron. Ugh. I promise I'm not some weirdo. Cross my heart.

OOC: Yes please to tags! :) @[Sacre]

Temari 09 - a1Star

Sacre Posts: 274
World's Edge Emissary atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 5 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Inari :: Red Fox :: Heal & Ríona :: Common Kitsune :: Electric imi
I thought it through, I think I want it too,
'Cos I saw you there upon your chair, in the light of winter's air

A bright bubbly laugh fills the air and Sacre smiles in relief. "He’s a nuisance sometimes" he casts a glance down at the fox who had been curiously inspecting the stranger only a half minute earlier and the vulpine looks away in mock disinterest, he was only having a look. Ruckus over, Sacre returned to the business of the state he had found the mare in and he listened to her words as his gaze drifted back and forth between the mess on the floor and her dishevelled state. She says its nothing, do you think she’s okay? He asks mentally of his companion friend, she did appear to have fallen from the sky, either that or she was trying to climb a tree which sounded even more stranger than a bird falling. Inari returned his friends inquiring glance with his version of a shrug if she says she’s fine then she’s fine and you say that I’m the nuisance?! Sacre snorted and turned away from his bonded with a flick of his tail, apparently his friend was still stewing from previous comments.

The mare moved the conversation on, however, and Sacre’s mind was quickly turned to other matters. A ‘moment’? Were they having a moment? You have an admirer Sacre teased his orange fluffy friend and Inari moved to look at the mare with glowing curiosity before his tail began to flick from side to side and he yapped happily at her. The fox liked this one. She also asked if he lived in the very place they stood… It was a good guess and she was close enough. The colt shook his head with a gentle smile and gestures towards the south "no, I live with my herd family to the south, a place called the Dragons Throat. It’s a little drier than here, not as many trees, but lots of canyons and open spaces." He informed as he thought fondly of the place.

He attempted to shift attention back onto the strange belle with his own enquires, though he really wanted to ask how she fell, but left that gnawing question for later. "Are you new here? What’s your name? I’m Sacre and you’ve met Inari" he laughed, motioning to the fox beside him.

[sorry for the wait!!]

There's something wretched about this
Something so precious about this

❚ Force permitted!
❚ Please tag me!

Unregistered
Nimue
This kid seems to mean well, so now I’m starting to feel a bit guilty for being short with him. After all, he is out at night like me (I always thought darkness was the refuge of the damned, but I’ve only met the truest creatures under the stars), and he has an awesome tiny friend. But don’t hold your breath on some damn apology.

I look from the orange puff of fur to the dark colt and acknowledge their kinship with a small smile. Something about their interaction strikes me as warmly familiar, even though Fluffy doesn’t speak anything more than a bark. If friends are the family you choose, they seem to embody friendship rather admirably. I figure you can never have enough real friends, and if these two are good guys, I think I’d like to stick around. The problem is sorting the real from the fake, but like I said, I’ve rarely met a backstabber or turncoat at night.

As I feel the wet mud of the forest floor grasping at my fetlocks and recall the jolt of branches clawing at my wings, I decide that this Dragons Throat place sounds pretty nice. “Less trees sounds great,” I quip, taking a moment to chuckle at my own joke. My laugh has always been different – deep and full, even when it’s short. I never had one of those girly giggles, nor would I want one. Even if I could, I wouldn’t change a damn thing about myself.

Am I new here? I suppose I am. I guess I’m new everywhere besides my birth home, and honestly, fuck that place. But am I new here new here? Like… new but intending to settle and not be new anymore? I look at Fluffy – Inari, I guess – to try to discern some sign in his bright canine eyes. I don’t see anything, but something about the whole situation feels sort of predestined. I fall through the trees in the dead of night and just so happen to be stumbled upon by these two? Okay, gods. I’ll roll with it.

“I’m Nimue. I just dropped in,” I glance upwards through the dense arbor from which I’d descended ever so gracefully. “Where exactly is here, anyways?” At least my speech seems to be shedding its awkwardness with each sentence. It’s weird to put thoughts into words when you haven’t spoken in a while, but it seems a bit like flying. Once you’ve got it down, it’s not really something you forget.

OOC: No worries – sorry on my end, too!
@[Sacre]
Temari 09 - a1Star