the Rift

[OPEN] chasing the sun

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
@[Shida]

These fields high in the mountains are the closest thing the colt has to a home. He was born here, watched his sister be blessed by a dragon egg here, and has spent his first few days of life bouncing around in the sweet grass here. He is deeply attached to this place, although his natural boyish desire to adventure has led him to wander away from his dam's comforting side much more in recent days. He fancies himself quite the expert on these hidden fields, having stomped across every inch and nibbled every blade of grass in a vain attempt to mimic his mother. Alas, he might as well be eating cardboard for all the flavour it holds compared to the warm milk of her teats, and thus he's long since decided to refrain from trying to be all grown up.

The early evening sunlight glimmers on the glossy black fur of his stout back as he walks, accentuating each fledgling muscle of his young body. He isn't even a week old yet, his hooves only just beginning to harden beneath their light feathering and his frame covered by a decent layer of foal fluff that lends him quite the cute appearance. A tufty black mane stands like a messy mohawk atop his neck, one lock hanging between his ears to dust against the white skull-like blaze that adorns his face. Inquisitive red eyes blaze out from this ivory prison, focused on a large and thorny-looking plant topped with a big pink flower. "Pretty," murmurs the youngster, stepping forwards with mouth gaping to pluck the flower from its stem and chew it thoughtfully. He'd sworn not to eat grass, after all, but shiny colourful flowers were a different story. Petals poke at odd angles out of his muzzle as he chomps loudly, pink saliva dribbling down his chin.

WE ARE THE WARRIORS THAT BUILT THIS TOWN FROM DUST

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Shida Posts: 109
Deceased atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 6
Filly :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 3 (ages in Birdsong) HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Princess :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Odd

Shida
I'll be a thousand miles to the sun
before you even know what I've done.

IT'S ADVENTURE TIME BITCHACHO'S.

Fuck yeah. You know what I love the best about being born? How tired it makes everyone. Da acts like he's constantly on fire, and Ma is trying to work off the baby fat I think (of course she blames us for it. Whatever Ma, we're all onto you. I've seen how much you eat). And Auri? Fffft. Like I know. Probably braiding her hair or something else equally as useless.

ANYWAYS. The point is they're all busy doing stuffs, which is what allowed me the chance to go on this BADASS ADVENTURE OF BADASSITUDE.

Sup mountain. You wanna be climbed today? SURE YOU DO.

I will say that by the time I reach the stop I'm exhausted. Who knew mountains were so tall? Certainly not me. I don't have a good grasp on depth or you know ... things persisting through space yet. I just figured out the other day that when I stop looking at things they don't just disappear (TRIPPY RIGHT. I MEAN. IF I CAN'T SEE IT HOW DO I KNOW IT'S THERE?!?!?!!). Anyways, same shit here. How was I supposed to know that tall = lots of time and energy to get up? Ffft. Life. You trickster you.

Anyways I made it, so there's that. In the distance I see this black blob. It's probably another kid like me. And if it is a kid like me, it'll totally want to see my magic. I mean. I would. So if the black thing is like me, it will too. LOGIC BITCHES.

So uber stealth-ely I flail towards the black creature (again, how am I supposed to know that running awkwardly is not stealthy? I'm trying to be stealthy which means I am being stealthy. LOGIC.)

I can already feel the red feeling glowing in my chest. It makes me want to squeal and scream and run as fast as I can (which I'm pretty sure I'm already doing). So I do the rest of the things too.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I scream joyfully, my pink lips agape as I push sound out as loud and hard as I can. I take a deep breath once the oxygen has left my lungs and do it again. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

As I near the kid, my vision swims as I prepare to do the thing. It balls up inside of me and feels like it exploded out of my eyeballs. Suddenly a few feet in front of the black kid, the ground errupts. Brightly coloured flowers dot the sky as my explosion magic tears the roots from the ground and shoots dirt and flowers into the sky.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM.

I skid to a halt, breathing really heavily with a stupid shit-eating grin on my face. My tongue is sort of flopping out of my mouth as I pant, my small chest heaving in and out. Flower petals rain down from the sky all around us, a few falling on my face as well as some dirt. It gets on my tongue but I don't care. THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.

"So-" Inhale exhale. "-cool-". Inhale exhale. "-right!?" I manage in between breaths.

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole (Niki)

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
I THINK I'M IN LOVE WITH SHIDA OMG

He continues to chomp on the flower, idly thinking that perhaps nomming on something strange and colourful isn't the best idea - it could be poisonous and make his peepee fall off. That would suck. But it's too late now, so he savours the mouthy massacre of the pink bloom, swallowing hard as ruined petals stick in his throat. Surprisingly, it's a lot tastier than grass, and the colt's greedy eyes zone in on another similar flower nearby. He turns, oblivious to death and mischief charging towards him. He can hear a scream, but it's probably just Nymeria tripping over her own feet, nothing to be concerned with...his mouth gapes hungrily towards the tasty flower glimmering like a beautiful pink sun, nom nom nom little flower -

The ground explodes in front of him. The flower he was about to devour is blown up into the sky, raining petals down upon him and staining his white face brown with mud. He releases a high-pitched, girly shriek - idly hoping neither parent or Nymeria is around to hear such a none-masculine noise that a beast like him should never ever make - and bounces backwards, ears pinning and lips baring to expose hardened gums still stained pink with his previous flowery dinner. His head whips around to be greeted by a beaming filly with horns - wait, horns? Despite his pounding heart and considerable sense of shock at what's just happened, he can't help but oggle those horns. After all, he has never met a unicorn before, and his entire family is purely equine. Straight away he decides that, if all horned things are going to try and blow him up, he really doesn't like them very much.

Cool?! His eyes boggle, apopletic. If there's something Volterra lacks (besides horns, apparently, and also his very own dragon egg, but he's not bitter, nope, not at all) then it's a sense of humour. "Cool?! You tried to kabloomy me!" He fluffs himself up, trying to look fearsome, but it's difficult when he's covered in mud and bits of flower, his lips still stained pink. "How'd you even do that? You gots magics?" He'd thought the only magic in the world was that of his mother's venomous mouth, but apparently he's got a lot to learn. There's also mad, tongue-flopping fillies with kabloomy powers, it seems.

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Shida

The kid is bigger than I am even though he's even more newly born than me, but I don't care. I haven't learned anything about fighting yet, so his youthful bulk doesn't ring any alarms. I wonder if he's the kid of that uptight biyatch who got mad at me for blowing up the stream. She was bulky and hornless just like him. Silently I wonder if he's got a twin too who got all the good blood (Auri's got like ... double magic AND wings. Ugh. ). Little do I know how right I am.

"pffffffffffffffffft." I respond, scrunching my face in a nuh-uhhhhhh expression. "I did not. I'm an EXPERT mmmkay." I reply sarcastically. I am an expert okay? Ain't no one ever said accuracy was part of being an expert (or at least no one said that to me). "And it isn't kambloomy." I correct while shaking my head to get rid of the petals that have fallen on me. "It's an EXPLOSION. What are you? New?" Oh. Right. He was. Well. Get your shit together kid I think incredibly hypocritically.

"Heck yeah I do." I reply to his question about magic. My chest puffs out a little with pride. He's the first one to be impressed by it. The big bitch was just grumpy, Da encouraged me and Auri just ... well tried to out do me (but HELLO. Explosions are WAY cooler than smoke.) So when the kid takes the least little bit of interest I practically fall over myself to give him more of a show.

"First you gotta do the red thing." I explain, trying to channel redness which I now associate with my magic. I feel it bubble inside of me almost instantly. I'm totally getting better at this already. A+ Shida. "Then you just do the thing." I look away from him, targeting a particularly beautiful clump of flowers. The colours that compose their petals so seamlessly blend together that it almost looks like it's one plant, rather than a grouping. It's the type of thing Ma would probably like.

So its definitely got to go.

"HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIJAHHH" I scream as magic jumps from my body, exploding the patch of ground. My entire frame jumps into the air a little as this happens due to my excitement. Once again petals delicately fall down from the sky.

"Make it raaaaaaaaaain!" I sing out, prancing forward and twirling under the shower of exploded fauna.

"Right? RIGHT?!?!" I inquire, hopping around to stare at the kid, expecting him to agree that this was the coolest thing ever.

And I mean, if he was just born it literally could be. Y'know?

Welcome to life kid. I'll be your guide.

image credits

If only the boy knew what they had in common - a terminal case of twin envy. It's woefully unfair. Nymeria has magic, and a dragon egg. According to his father's dragon - who he doesn't particularly believe, because surely it's impossible - he has the ability to bond to two companions, a rare and unusual prize, but oh wait, Nymeria can do it too. All the young beast has is a shitty amulet his father gave him, that doesn't actually do anything. But Volterra doesn't resent his twin her gifts, so devoted is he to her. It's a miracle he's managed to peel himself away from her side long enough to explore by himself. He is entitled to be a little bit jealous, though, and to grow a steely determination to obtain everything he possibly can. Including magic. Maybe magic to defend himself from explosive little fillies who look as though they've been eating the special kind of grass.

He arches a brow at her insistence of expertise. "Good thing you're a poopy shot or you coulda kabloomied my nose off," he states grumpily. Yet, as serious as he usually is, he can't help the smallest of smiles twitching at his muzzle at the sheer exuberance of her. She is filly on crack, and it's quite endearing - endearing enough to draw a rare smile from the youngster, which is certainly something. The smile is gone as soon as it arrived, however, at her somewhat scornful words about him being new. His lower lip ejects forcefully into a pout. "Nu-uh, I'm nearly a whole week old. Not new. And kabloomy sounds better than asplosion." He decides to purposefully call it kabloomy now, just to annoy her.

She talks him through how she uses her magic, and his forehead furrows in concentration. Maybe...maybe he does have it, and just hasn't known how to activate it? He desperately searches for the red thing, for any nub of power within himself, but simply cannot find anything. All he can do is watch in grumpy awe as she blows up more flowers, raining them down upon him. "That is kinda cool," he reluctantly admits. "But can ya not kabloomy all the flowers? They taste good." He looks sorrowfully around at his dinner sprinkling all around him. "My Ma's magic is cooler, though. She gots poison drool." He arches his neck proudly.

Shida

My Da is the king of special grass, I would say to you if only I could hear the kid's thoughts. I'd also probably bitch a lot about Auriel. Like Ooohh I'm Auriel. I have such a magical sounding name. I have soooo much magic. I was born first, blah blah blah. Who even cares.

I crack a smile at the same time the kid does. "You should see what I can do with my poop." I cackle, fanning my rather flappy tail. You want to talk about aim? Oh I'll show you aim like you ain't never seen, son.

Oh? One whole week? Well exxcuuuuseeee ME. Guess you just know everything. EXCEPT ANNUNCIATION. HELOVIAN MOTHERFUCKER. DO YOU SPEAK IT. "EX- plosion" I correct, rolling my eyes as if it was something that everybody should know. Even 1 week old noobs. "Like this-" I open my mouth repeatedly making the 'ex' sound silently, my pink lips wavering awkwardly as I did so.

When he tells me not to explode all the flowers, I look around, bottom lip pushing upwards slightly in a pout. Da said I could do the thing whenever I wanted. But ... I don't know. The kid is alright I guess. So if I decide that I don't want to explode the flowers anymore then I guess I am still doing the thing whenever I wanted? Since I don't want to? "Yeah okay, I guess." I agree, shrugging and turning back to him.

As he mentions poison drool I lean in completely intrigued. SO COOL. SO COOL! I lower my head so that my eyeball is basically at his muzzle height. I inspect him rigorously trying to determine whether or not he had poison drool or not. But .. it just looks sorta regular. awhh...That woulda been neat. "That is cool. My Ma makes this white cold stuff whenever she walks." I'm thinking of snow and ice, but since I was born in BirdSong I've never really seen it before. "But poison drool is defo cooler. My twin can like ... I dunno. Smoke comes out of her mouth - which happens a lot since she never shuts up. She also has like ... this weird magic that makes your brain go all scrambly." I don't really know how to describe it. It makes normal folks go wild, but since I'm already pretty out there it just sorta amplifies it. "Hey kid, can you do any stuffs like that?" I ask, thinking I'm being all polite.

image credits

His eyes widen at her first words, because he's hasn't yet grown out of being gullible. "Your poop asplodes?" he exclaims, practically going starry eyed in awe. He is, after all, a little boy, and little boys tend to like gross stuff. Corrosive saliva, flower-exploding madness? Pah! Exploding poop? Now you're talking. "Show me!" Just to be safe, he takes a step back, because he doesn't want her explosive excrement blowing his hooves off. That would be a deeply undignified way to die.

She proceeds to correct him, and his lower lip ejects stubbornly, eyes narrowing and ears flapping backwards. "As-plosion," he re-corrects her correction. He's wrong, of course, but he's also a petulant little shit and doesn't like to be told that he's wrong. So, just like kabloomy, he makes it his personal mission to carry on saying asplosion, just to make her apopletic. Although that may not be the best idea, given she can make things explode around him. He isn't yet old enough to have developed a sense of self-preservation. however. Or a sense of tact.

Next thing he knows, he has an eyeball directly in front of him. He is in the mouthy stage where he likes to lick or nibble anything that stays still long enough, and he can feel his tongue begging to be released to lick that big, juicy eyeball, just to see what it tastes like. But, mercifully, he manages to refrain. This girl has cool magic, she's hyperactive and loud and rambunctious and kind of awesome, so alienating her by slobbering in her eye probably isn't his brightest idea. Plus she might blow his tongue off, and how could he be the petulant little shit he is without his tongue? Maybe he does have some tact, after all. She speaks of her mother's ability to sprinkle cold stuff, which Volterra imagines could be kind of useful if you ever got too sweaty. She seems suitably awed by his mother's magic, and, ever the braggart, he's keen to embellish on it. "Yeah. If she bites you, your skin goes all rotty and gross. It's so cool." He considers himself quite lucky to be Confutatis' son, rather than her enemy, as he would not like to be on the wrong end of that poison drool.

Shida's next words really get his attention, though. "You gots a twin too?" Delight explodes across his features, because yay twins! And, given what the girl is saying, her twin is similarly blessed. "I know what you mean. My sister can do weird stuff with water, and she has a pet dragon. It sucks." But, unlike Shida, he holds no hatred towards his womb-mate; quite the opposite. He is so engrossed with her that he loathes the idea of her dragon hatching and stealing her from him. The unicorn's question causes him to deflate again, though. "Nah, I don't have any magics. I'm just normal and boring." Puppy eyes flop sadly at the recognition of his own boring-ness.

Shida

No idiot. My poop is hella accurate. It doesn't explode. But ... it would but AWESOME if it did! Maybe if he hadn't said as-plosion I would have elaborated, but as it was, I just sort of rocked backwards looking unimpressed. If I had arms to cross and a face that could scowl, I definitely would be.

God kid. Do you have marbles in your mouth? Get it together.

After I'm done inspecting his mouth for poison, he elaborates mentioning that if you got bit by his Ma your skin would fall of. My eyes widen in surprise. That's like.. WICKEDLY BADASS. I really want to see it. Can she like .. bottle it? Already my mind is reeling. If I could do that AND explode things, I could take out a whole FIELD of flowers. Of course it hadn't occurred to me to use my powers for evil yet - anytime I've come close to hurting someone has purely been coincidental. So I'm not thinking about the incredible amount of damage that I could do if I ever teamed up with his Ma. But ... maybe later I would.

"hhgggggg so AWESOME." I gurgle with fascination at his description.

He gets weirdly excited about me having a twin, but then my brain starts to do the thinking thing. "Too". thinking....thinking.... AH. Got it. That means he has one too, right? So why the fuck is he so excited? Twins are the WORST. Maybe his isn't a sister - oh no wait. He just said it was. What gives kid? Maybe I just got a rotten one, I think to myself, snorting slightly. "My twin is the WORST. " He continues saying his sister has some cool shit. Frankly I don't know what a dragon is, but I know what it feels like to not have shit. "I bet. It sucks for me too." GO GO GADGET EMPATHY POWERS.

But it doesn't last long. Apparently I've been exercising my asshole prowess too much lately, because as the kid goes on to say that he got nothing out of the deal, I actually feel better about myself. I mean. Yeah sure Auri has more magic, but I'm not plain like him, y'know? I got magics and a horn. He just got ... I dunno. Like some extra height? Is that something folks care about? "You don't even have a horn or anything. Did it like .. break off?" Then it occurs to me that if his Ma can make stuff melt off, maybe he had wings or a horn and they got poisoned? "Did your Ma take your wings?" I whisper, looking around.

I mean I don't know, maybe it's a touchy subject.

image credits

She doesn't seem willing to reveal whether or not her poop can, in fact, explode. Being the boy he is, he decides to believe that it can. Starry-eyed expression lavishes its attention on her rear end, as though expecting her to deposit a grenade for his amusement. He has to resist the urge to wander behind and lift up her tail to have a gander at the source of the bomb-making. At this age, the colt has no regard for physical boundaries, and wants to either poke, lick, bite or kick anything that holds his interest, for better or for worse. His morbid fascination with anything different pushes him to, sometimes literally, stick his nose in everywhere he possibly can.

He can't deny the pride he feels at the reaction his dam's magic seems to evoke in her. It does make him wonder, though, why he hadn't inherited his mother's magic in the same way he had inherited her skull marking and his father's white forelegs. Imagine if he had the corrosive saliva that Confutatis is infamous for! Think how many people he could impress if he could melt flesh with a simple kiss! But no, he is doomed to be useless and unenviable, only able to brag about the abilities of his mother rather than himself. One day, kids will go all awestruck at the idea of my magic, when I get it, he decides, silently vowing to get something special so he doesn't have to live off his parents' glories. "You could come and see her, see for yourself!" It doesn't occur to him that inviting a friend home for dinner could be a lot more literal than he might like when it comes to his vampiric mother, nor does it phase him that she probably wouldn't be best pleased about him inviting a random-ass filly to come and see her.

Surprise etches itself across his delicate features as she rants about her twin. Wait, she hates her twin? How is that even possible? "I love my sister, she's the best. I just wish I had some special stuff like she does, 'cos I feel like a loser." Cue violins! "At least you got your asplodey magic, and a horn. I got nothing." Woe, misery! He is the only one of his family without anything special, though. His mother has her magic and her Mongrel, his father has his dragon, Nymeria has her everything. In the raffle that is life, Volterra certainly hadn't bought the best ticket. But, as Shida thinks, at least he's tall. Maybe he'll grow big and powerful enough to kick the ass of anybody who mocks him for being boring.

Her whispered question makes him ponder for a moment. He doesn't remember his Ma taking anything from him, but his first few days are pretty blurry. "I don't think she did - I mean, I don't have any ouchies, and I think someone taking your horn would give you ouchies, right?" Now it's his turn to step closer in an attempt to oggle at the base of her horn, where it joins to the flesh of her forehead. Yep, ripping that off would hurt. "My Ma and Pa don't have horns, either. Or wings. Only birds have wings." He has not yet had the pleasure of meeting a pegasus, after all. "What's your name?" He's tempted to just call her Kabloomy from now on, because as names go that's a pretty fitting one.

Shida

"Yeah!!" I agree. I mean, as long as she doesn't like... slober on me. I think it would be AWESOME to meet her. She sounds wicked badass. But ... am I allowed to think another Ma is badass? I mean, that doesn't mean my Ma isn't, does it? Because while dripping-from-your-lips-rot-your-flesh-off magic sounds waaaay cooler than I-make-shit-cold magic, I guess ... I just sort of inherently think Ma is the shit, y'know? Hmmmm. I hope I didn't say anything I shouldn't have.

As he mentions that he might have remembered if his horn had been removed, I merely shrug. I don't have a good grasp of pain yet - the only things that have hurt are when Auri kicks me, and that only hurts for a few seconds. I basically forget about it after a day, and if you asked me to remember what that precise pain felt like now? Well ... I don't think I'd be able to. Besides, the kid's only been topside for what? A week? Like he knows. Still, I shrug. "I dunno. Probs would."

However as he suggests that only birds have wings, I snicker loudly. I know enough to know that my sister isn't a bird. And if she isn't a bird, then it's just false that only things with wings are bird. LOGIC'D. I shake my horned head. "No. Idjit. She isn't a bird. My Ma has wings, but my Da doesn't. Maybe that's how Auri got both ... like, horns from Da and wings from Ma?" So why didn't I get both? Well, like the kid said, at least I got something.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait! Idea!

"Hey, you sure you're their kid? I mean ... they got stuff, and your twin's got stuff and you don't. So maybe like ... they found you or something? How do you know you're their kid?" If I remember anything about my own birth, it's that it was fucking confusing. I remember dark and then I remember light, and I remember Auri being an insta-bitch about everything. But isn't it possible that like ... they just grabbed this kid from somewhere?

image credits

Already he's mentally going over introducing his new explosive BFF to his mother and sister. Confutatis will probably give her the stink-eye and try to get as much information about her herd out of her as possible, possibly by means of venom-related torture...whereas Nymeria will probably just give her the stink-eye for coming within a fifty-foot radius of her twin. Maybe bringing her home to meet the family isn't the best idea he's ever had, then, but he simply can't resist showing her that he actually isn't a complete dullard and in fact has a very interesting and magically-inclined family. Unfortunately for him, he fished from the arse-end of the genetic pool when he was made, and lacks any of his family's talents, but if it's the last thing he does he will prove that he isn't boring, dammit!

She explains that her mother has wings, like her sister, and a look of intense puzzlement crosses the boy's face. Well, this is a shock to his whole belief system. "You mean horses...can have wings?" Oh, the things he's learning from this encounter! The idea of winged horses is still utterly foreign to him - the same as horned horses who blow shit up was until five minutes ago - and he finds himself wondering if she's just trying to wind him up. He is, after all, rather gullible, and she does strike him as quite the impish little madam. "Do they have feathers like a bird? Or a beak?" It's a reasonable question, to him at least. "I want wings - that sucks." Yet another thing to add to the ever growing list of Things Volterra Doesn't Have!

She doesn't give her name - Kabloomy it is, then - but instead brings up a very interesting, if terrifying, point. The colt's lower jaw hangs open in shock as he contemplates her words, giving him quite the gormless appearance as his tongue lolls to one side with the head-tilt that comes from the force of his thoughts. Could it be? "I...." He can't even think of any sort of retort, because now he's actually considering it. He remembers dark warmth, then he remembers the blinding sunlight and the solid ground beneath his feet, alongside blurry images of his sire and the green dragon. The struggle to rise to his hooves, the sweet tang of his mother's milk, the fear when his father sniffed him, the jealousy when his sister was given the dragon egg instead of him...it's all a roll of blurry images in no particular order, but surely if he was abandoned at some point, he would remember? "I don't know, how will I know?! Ahh, what if my real Ma saw how useless I was and abandoned me?" Now she's really got him worried! He screws up his tiny face, trying desperately to recall any memories that may grant him clues - his mother and sister float before him, both with the skull blaze upon their face, and then his father with his white-splashed forelegs...

He wouldn't have those things if he was just some random mangy orphan, would he?

He shakes his head more decisively this time. "My Ma and Nymeria have white faces, like me. And my Pa had white front legs, like me. Like you say, I musta got them from each of them...so that means I'm theirs, right? Right?!" Crimson gaze bores into her, hunting for reassurance. He is still a child, after all, and any child may be slightly alarmed at the idea they could be adopted. If he runs home and asks his dam, he'll probably get a good hard bite on his butt for his trouble, and that would just suck.