[PRIVATE] Orcus the Demon King
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
somebody shine a light
I'm frozen by the fear in me
"They call me the frostheart," the snowbeast whispered, voice nothing but white smoke rising in front of a white face.

But if his heart was made of frost, how could he live? If his veins were ice and the shining, pulsing red refracted through its crystalline walls, how could he move without shattering? And if he was truly frozen over..

.. how could he love?

Because love, was his undoing. Love. It nestled in the blackened ruin of his heart, shrieked in the icy wind blasting through his soul, and it was love that hid behind the ice walls of his eyes. Love—unrequited, dead, forgotten. It was the arctic wolf hunting him, ice-rimed fangs snapping at his bleeding haunches, and its terrorizing, haunting song at night was composed out of the very same thing which beat in its core—that cursed, cursed word. They bandied it about like a slogan or a shield, some kind of cure, or the fucking meaning of life. As if it was worth something. As if it fixed anything. All you need is love.

You can't eat love. You can't breathe love. It haunts you, it preys upon your dreams, your mind, your body, until everything in the spaces between your bones feels hollowed. Piece by piece it tears you asunder, leaving nothing but that aching emptiness, a brand of fire burning against your soul, and slowly bleeding you dry.

Love solved nothing. Love was torture. Love was a plague.

All love had ever given him, was pain.
All love had ever given him, was heartache.
All love had ever given him, was this meaningless, shitty existence, pieces of a life strung out over endless miles of gray, flat terrain with a hazy and unreachable horizon. Bit by bit he'd broken down on the way, little fragments of Mauja lining his road there like ice glittering in the sun—but only for a moment, before it melted, and eventually, dried up.

His time in this world meant nothing.
Was worth nothing.
He would leave no lasting marks upon it.

"Frostheart," the beast whispered again, bitterly, the wind—that shrieking, howling wind of wolf-song and his own personal brand of agony—whipping tears from his eyes and freezing them upon his cheeks. Spring meant little in the land of winter and snow, where the white dug its fangs in as deeply as love had dug its own into his soul. Winter was as merciless as love, just as haunting and just as cruel, unwilling to let go of what it had claimed.

But where winter was peace, love was not; love was warfare, against an enemy which did not exist outside of his heart. It was a wound neither logic nor insight could heal—it was a wound as invisible as the emotion itself. It bled the soul dry and left the body a living, empty husk.

"Frostheart," he said again, but this time it was a sob (it was almost a laugh), because the title was so marvelously unfitting he wondered how he had ever been branded with it. His heart was bitten and torn,
but at its core,
it was warm.

Mauja had loved.
Mauja had loved, and he had always lost.

[ uuhmm @[Roskuld] perhaps ;D ]
somebody make me feel alive
and shatter me
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

That was the second desert I had ever seen in my life, the scene of a violent storm that welled inside me, a brutal battle that waged in my mind, determining once and for all what was the shittiest place to be. On one hand, this desert didn’t have sand, and that was always a plus to be considered. On the other hand, it was still cold and still shitty, except now there was wind too and I used to think the wind and I were bros but fuck that mess if it means cold gets to toddle around with us third-wheelin’ n’ shit. I did not sign up for that.

So anyway, yeah. Pa’s herd wasn’t up here, which probably meant I missed it. Figures. He would put his herd at the most a) awful place on earth that’s b)the most incredibly difficult to access. The snow swirled around me and I swear the wind was chuckling at me, or maybe it was Pa again, whatever insubstantial ghost-Pa that happened to haunt me at that particular moment. That happened sometimes. Ghost-Pa would just chill somewhere above and behind me, laughing at me and whatever fucked up situation I found myself in—and no it wasn’t all in my head, you can just shut up, gosh. Shit man. I was struggling.

I needed to fight something.

But there was literally nothing, not even a tree to break the wind or a body to try and pummel. Just me and this empty wilderness pretty much made up of nothing but shrubs and freezing. I sort of trudged my way onward, keeping north, knowing it was stupid of me to try and penetrate a place where I didn’t know where I was going. Five-hundred paces, I told myself, gritting my teeth against the bitter wind whipping at the tender still-healing skin of my face (shit man, isn’t it spring?!). Five-hundred paces. I’d go five-hundred paces and if I hadn’t found anything by then, I’d let myself turn around.

One….
Two….
Three….
This is really shit-ty

….

One-hundred-fifty-six
One-hundred fifty-seven
One-hudred-fifty…..what?

I stopped in my tracks, my eyes watering as the wind slapped them—but I was sure I saw something up ahead of me. No--someone, it was a person and not a snow-horse, like I thought originally. Wait…was it a person? Because it was freezing and the wind was merciless and they were just…

…standing there?

“Hey!” I said, springing into a spry trot to catch up with them. “HEY!” I called louder, trying to get their attention, see if they were alive, anything. I wouldn’t have normally cared, but it was alarming, y’know? I mean, with the wind and the cold and everything, I didn’t really have any clue what I was walking into—what sort of frozen hell I was wandering towards.

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!
Ascended Helovian

somebody shine a light
The King is dead.

King and Lord—beggar and pawn. Whatever royal cloak he had worn had been handed over to someone else, whatever fucking crown he'd carried upon his regal, haughty head had melted, or just been lost, and what he was left with was just his spotted, scarred skin. The marks of his own defeat, loss written into the flesh of his body. Many were lost and subtle, but a half-healed gash gaped across his left shoulder. It was just another painful reminder of what he had lost—thought he had lost—and sometimes he still regretted not letting her pearly horn strike straight into his heart.

He wouldn't be standing here, then, with only the wind as an excuse for his weeping. He wouldn't be standing here, and the owls, tucked away safely in some bush, somewhere, wouldn't be tucked away either.

They would've been dead. As dead as he.

But as it is, only the King is dead, and what's left is just a vagabond in the tattered remains of a once majestic attire. Snow and charcoal and ice. If he was beautiful, if he was striking, it wasn't his choice. Just his bloodlines. Just the way his body was composed out of angles and curves, the way his skin draped over his thick frame and pulled taut across world-weary muscles. Because in the details, where the once had been strength and beauty, something enigmatic and arcane, there was little left; pain, and the dullness of his gaze.

He didn't know what kind of pathetic strings that kept the framework of his existence together, but as he stood there with his head bent low and eyes closed (but the world won't leave him be, and the pain comes from within anyway) he almost, almost, wished they would snap. Break. Tear. For the flood to spill forth, and whatever fragile sanity he had left to be shattered. It would almost be a relief to have the world tumble down around him, and be swept away by it, rather than struggle through the resemblance of normalcy. It wasn't that he tried to be who he had been, or to pretend all was fine—it was just that he was physically unable to lose that last ounce of control. If he reached for the obliterating darkness, the chaos, the grief (too much blood on snow, the stars wheeling silently, and coldly, overhead).. he found it, but he could not step into it. He shied back. He shied back to where it was safer, but where it still hurt.

“Hey!” One black-rimmed ear flicked to the shout, but even if the wind shouted his name, why should he listen? It was not the voice of his brother. It was.. not the voice of someone who could save him. Because, that would have to be his own voice.

So he didn't listen. Turned his head away. Pressed his blue, blue eyes shut tighter.

“HEY!” What, had she been looking, seen him turn away in denial of her presence? Did she insist on shoving herself into his path? It was louder this time, more insistent, closer. He could feel her presence trickle down his spine. Don't, he wanted to snarl at her, don't come near me, because he wanted to be alone.

He wanted to keep denying to the world what was happening.

How far he was falling.
How deep.

"THE KING IS FUCKING DEA- oh."

His head had whipped around, his rough voice thundering out over the terrain, trying to dominate the harsh keening of the wind—but when his eyes had snapped open his yell had broken off, and he simply stared at her in something that could only be described as pleasant surprise. Or maybe like, shit I'm glad to see you're still alive even after I abandoned you and broke the like what 956386th promise in my life. Because that was the truth of it. He'd sworn to himself to protect her, and what had he done?

Yeah, right. Upped and left.

"Loudmouth," he said, more conversationally, when she was closer; the word might once have been a word, or an insult, but now it was simply a name—and the voice of the winter beast was warm, if tired, but warm all the same. He tried to blink his frozen tears away, thoughts touching unbidden to what he'd been thinking of earlier.

The King is dead.
The Frostheart is dead.

There was only Mauja left, now—whoever the hell that was.

[ @[Roskuld]! ]
and shatter me

I hadn’t given it any thought before, but my eyes were really starting to bug me then, more than ever. Maybe it was something about the burning or the FIYAH or whatever but my vision was all sorts of constantly fucked up. I didn’t used to have to blink several times for an image to clearly hit my retinas; there was a fuzzy halo over everything that smudged it into everything else, making it blend into a void of colors that made no sense until I fluttered my lids.

The point was that this white bastard was a person I had had trouble seeing before, mistaking him as my Ma at one point, seeing him in the shadows and still letting his image elude my grasp. And now that we were standing in a word of literal whiteness it made everything hella harder, almost ridiculously so. I kept walking towards him, knowing that that wasn’t simply just some outcropping of ice and snow that was piled awkwardly in the clearing to resemble life (there’s irony somewhere around here and I ain’t equipped to catch it).

But then it was screaming at me tortured things, icy things, and I didn’t even catch it coming, and I stopped so hard my feet sorta slid in the ice a little bit, but goddamn it what was that? My heart leapt into my throat and some newfound instinct jumped to action, demanding a fight. In fact, the only reason I wasn’t jumping in to beat whole-sale ass was because he stopped short, seeing me I guess, amending himself. Whatever man, I still looked at him with a raised brow, a wide eye, and a hammering heart. I leaned away a little from him, standing in the snow and the whipping wind, wondering what the hell I had walked into.

Then he called me Loudmouth.

The hell I am! I sorta screeched in a cracked, weak voice, floundering a little to try and make sense of the situation. Could you blame me? I wasn't the one screaming at people sneaking up on me, shouting things that don't make any kind of sense (in this situation at least). The name was familiar—no, scratch that, it was more than just a memory. In my mind, an image of a moon-soaked night flashed before my eyes, where there was a bunch of shitty sand piled all over the place and something huge dark and scary that lingered somewhere in there ( I wasn’t about to think about the Abominable Shitman that still stalked my nightmares sometimes with his funky-ass spit dripping everywhere). And there was even more darkness, something even worse than that guy we’re not talking about, a darkness I had fled from so many stupid, shameful times and that I had let my poor Jiji be devoured by.

I remembered the fear I had felt—how so very afraid I was, how it had eaten me from the inside, munched all over and left all kinds of painful sores in its wake. And I remembered this guy--this guy--and how he followed me even though he didn’t need to; how he offered some sort of bumbling comfort that went miles and miles further than he probably suspected it did.

Teeny,” I said, softer now that my heart was starting to calm down and it appeared he wasn’t going to actually try to rip off all of my face. I lifted my head a little, blinked my eyes some so that I could see his face see those really really blue eyes I remembered he had. They were bright; it was pretty easy to see them, bright as they were, too bright but I didn’t actually catch that part at the time. Honestly I was feeling a hot prickle of embarrassment and shame, because I didn’t know the bastard’s name, and I wasn’t entirely sure if it was considered polite at this point to ask for it now.

“…what are you doing? I suddenly asked, stronger this time, because now that my discoveries were catching up to real time I remembered this guy had just been standing here doing nothing in the freezing cold. From what I had seen of him, he was a sensible sort, or at least he faked the funk pretty well—so what caused this complete 180? “Who—who died? He has said something about the king being fucking dea—or something. And if his screaming were any sort of indication, then he was hurting over it—or panicked, or angry, or something super emotional that I didn’t know how to handle. So I…I dunno.

I looked at him funny, I guess.

“What’s going on, Teeny?” Softer.

talk

Ascended Helovian

somebody shine a light
It's not like he's got any clue what's going on. There's just the storm, a sense of pressure coming from within—of something painful and alive sitting in his chest, hammering at his ribs with tiny fists. Something that wanted out, but it was stuck. Trapped, by flesh and bones, something it wasn't made of itself. Emotions were as intangible as starlight.

He was just glad to see her. In all the darkness and pain, in the chaos of his uncertain existence, he was happy to see her, a familiar face, someone who wasn't bound to him by blood or duty, but rather.. through some unexplainable twist of fate, and the actions spawned from it. And perhaps he didn't matter—as much, or at all—to her. Perhaps she barely remembered a dorkish, white, playful stranger on a beach, or someone who fled side by side with her, and kept a watchful eye, and cursed to the skies when she disappeared out of his range in her crackling way.. but he found that it didn't matter. Of course, if she straight-up told him she had no recollection of him, it might, but as it was.. the feeling of joy was his, as tentative as a ray of pale sunlight on a cold, glorious winter day.

That feeling was his and he had every damn right to feel it.

“The hell I am!” the little zapping beast managed to get out in response to his greeting—which, he guessed, was better than staring at him in a sort of wtf-you're-totally-mad way. And, to his own surprise, he didn't come undone in a fit of laughter—just raised one 'brow and regarded her with level, tear-stained eyes. "Of course not," he hummed in agreement, but what his face said, what his eyes and that small, curving smile said, was and you just proved it by yelling a little more.

But there was no malice in the gestures. Only the only kind of warmth the snows know: thin and sparse, the glitter of light refracted through snow crystals. He said no more. Just.. waited. For her to say something. For the darkness to come back and devour him. For this blessed moment of peace to shatter and fall apart, like everything else.

Maybe he waited for the change that never came, because instead of changing, he just waited.

“Teeny,” but I can't take Tiny and bounce, because Tiny wasn't there, and Mauja still didn't know what you did when you "bounced". But it was, despite its ending and the rather dubious character of the black draft, a fond memory—a memory of lightness, and that bittersweet nostalgia was the first painful stab, the first reminder that he had overstepped himself when he'd swam back into the light. The good memories held a sharp contrast, and it stung, and he retreated, step by step forced back into his cage. He blinked. Why was he always crying these days? Where did the tears come from? He was just so damn tired, it seemed that crying was about the only thing he could do, even when he had no reason. The bitter wind dried them relentlessly, ice flaking off his cheeks.

"I.. uh," and his voice broke off when his mind found no answer. What was he doing? Aside from crying, because that hardly seemed a legit activity. He was.. standing around. Feeling sorry for himself—though that expression seemed too light, too pitiful, when it more like felt like he was trying to cling to a vertical wall to avoid falling into a black void. Trying to shake off my past. Too pretentious. Trying to find Ophelia. Too much of a painful truth, admitting something. “Who—who died?” Oh. And what do you say to that? I did. It sounded kind of funny, because he was alive enough, standing there, talking to her (well, right now he was being kind of silent). So he just looked at her, heart beating faintly beneath the layer of shadow.

Who was she, this spitfire kid? Did she care, like the softness of her voice, and the cast of her eyes, implied? His thoughts stalled for a moment, trapped by the electric blue. It felt like she did..

.. and if she did.. she was the first in a long, long time who didn't just see his haggard look and spit nonsense at him about being weak, burnt-out, less than he had been. He swallowed. He didn't know if it was truth, if the quiet insistence of her questions were morbid curiosity or if there was something beneath it that actually cared.. and in a way, he didn't want to know. It could hurt a lot. But at the same time.. he didn't want comfort from a false thought. He swallowed.

"The King I used to be, is dead," he finally said, his quiet voice a little rougher than usual, mirrored by the red riming his eyes. He was tired, and saying it aloud—realizing that he could never again be who he had been—didn't offer the catharsis he'd hoped for. It made him wonder if he would ever again feel light, unburdened, happy and meaningful.. for any prolonged period of time. More than just snatches of it.

He blinked furiously, but for once, refused to turn his weeping eyes away. She already knew he wept; what did it matter if she had to meet his gaze through its blurred curtain?

"I'm falling apart," he admitted in a small whisper.

She couldn't save him. He didn't expect her to.

But she wouldn't die from knowing the truth of it, either.
and shatter me

Of course not he says, kinda dry and snooty, his face saying different things and his point getting across as clearly as you please. Smart ass.

I coulda shot back to him that at least I wasn’t the one standing around doing nothing of my own volition, that I was sent here by some divine bullshit and yeah, maybe I did take a wrong turn somewhere, but I was still trying to get something done whereas he was….he…

…was crying?

It was so smooth that I didn’t even notice it—I mean, for all I knew, his eyes were just glittering like they usually did, like ice shards set against his face, or whatever. But no, those were honest to god tears welling up in his eyes, sliding down his face quiet like shade, because he wasn’t sobbing or sniffling or doing any of that nonsense. He was just looking down at me like he was just as glad to see me as I was to see him—but he was crying, just letting the tears fall, like he didn’t care, or he couldn’t help them and there they just were.

I opened my mouth—and it kinda stayed open, gaping stupidly as I took in the blurry sight, understanding finally exactly what I was seeing. The guy was wrecked. And I’m not talking like he had come off worse in a fight. It was more like he was…worn down than anything, what with the roughness in the lines in his face and the shadows underneath that sad, sparkling eyes, like there was something sitting on his shoulders that was too goddamn heavy but it was bound to him with chains and there was no way he could put it down somewhere and sit his ass down for a minute, jeez.

I didn’t know what to do (well, that’s new). No, really, I didn’t know what to do. Because this guy—I remember how this guy was just there once, at this shitty place with a whole bunch of shitty sand and a shittier individual and this guy had been the sense in that jumble of a mess. He had been whatever could pass as an anchor in that turmoil of idiocy—and if it wasn’t apparent then, than it sure was right after that, when the darkness came and I fled like the chicken-shit I am sometimes and he was there running right along with me, not really pissing himself like I was but there to offer something to me, like a shoulder to cry the nervous-tears that I was doing my damnest to keep from him.

I know how it feels to suck up tears, man. I know how it feels to have the world crashing down around you and you feel like shit-- no, like filth, that you’ll never get anywhere and you were pointless and everyone who had high hopes for you is just gonna walk off feeling disappointed, like the movie they had paid to see got 2 stars out of 5 and it was full of lots and lots of explosions but there was barely any sense to the plot and it wasn’t worth the cost of admission. When someone looks at you and you notice a shadow flitting across their eyes, like you’re reminding them of something they’d rather not remember, an embarrassing night that was supposed to stay in Vegas but now it’s following them around, sucking their teat and cussing all over the place and causing more trouble than she’s worth and calling them Ma—

Um…uh. Hmm. Well.

The point is, I know what it feels to feel like shit. But I’ve never been so tired before, because I’m young, only like 2 3 years, and I haven’t been around enough to be so tired of whatever failure was creeping up on me that day. And it was that moment I realized how much of an enigma Teeny actually was to me; I didn’t know his name, I didn’t even know how old he was, and he was telling me that the King he used to be was dead (I was still gaping, like that helped any). The King he used to be.

This motherfucker used to be a King!

Used to was the key phrase. Used to. He was old enough to have had a kingdom and lost it; he was old enough to have lived with that particular failure long enough to weigh him down, cause his face to become rough and for shadows to form under his eyes; he was old enough to let his tears fall, because he was weary and he was ”falling apart” and I didn’t know what to do but here was a man who was catastrophe walking and his broken voice and the tears dripping down were the least of his problems and I was the only warm body in so many square miles of frozen nothing that gave a damn that the tears he cried were gonna start freezing on his face if he let ‘em.

I’d…never felt so small before.

“Hey…” I said softly, clearly at a loss, thinking I had to say something or one of us were gonna explode, “Hey…guy….” It was my failed attempt at being comforting and I quickly shut up because I still didn’t know the bastard’s name and this was not, this was not, the time to be asking. But all my words were used up and I still didn’t know what to do because I’ve only ever huddled in this particular pit of darkness by myself; I had never had any reason to try and draw someone out of it.

I reached out to him, with my muzzle. Which was really saying something, by the way, because I love to fight but somehow I hate being touched—but I needed to touch him somewhere, maybe on the point of his shoulder briefly, just enough to make contact and press a piece of his body back together, if he really was falling apart. I needed to let him know somehow that this warm body still gave two-shits about him, and that it would be okay (how the hell would I know that?) and that I didn’t care that there were tears on his face, but it mattered to me that he cried.

“…Come on,” I said, barely a whisper as I drew back from, “It’s cold as hell.”

I didn’t know where I wanted to take him—but it was cold here.

[100 POSTS FUCK YEAH]

talk

Ascended Helovian

somebody shine a light
[ Sorry for taking a bit with this, it's a bit hard for me to "go back" to threads once something really life-altering has happened to the character xD so I needed a few days to, I 'unno, remember who he was before that happened... ]

And it's at times like this that he wonders, what the fuck do you do now?. When you think you can hardly get any lower (just wait, you poor, fucking sod), when you think it can't get harder, and when everything is just s h a t t e r i n g ... What do you do? How do you pull yourself together, find some way to slot the fragments back together, and fit? He had broken so many times over so many years that the tiny little pieces of Mauja never came from the same Mauja, so they didn't merge and meld anymore. There were edges and gaps, cuts and corners, sharp, pointed little glass edges sticking out, hairline cracks and impact fractures—and he wasn't sure the fragmented mess that was left would be enough to hold life in his body.

So what do you do? He had no answer, except to weep softly, as he had ever since he saw Ophelia again. Then, it had been sunlight drying them and sweat diluting them; now, it was a bitter wind freezing them, forming crystals on his lashes. Through the blurred curtain he peered at her. Loudmouth. The name seemed almost too cruel now, even though it was the only thing he knew her as, and it didn't matter, not really, because it was only a name.. But even when she stared open-mouthed at him, kinda slack-jawed as if something of major importance had just struck her, she seemed too.. kind for such a nickname. Because.. because she cared. Because she looked at him, and she didn't just see the icy tears flaking off his cheeks and make judgment in a dark, closed-off heart. She looked at him, and she saw something.

He didn't know what. He just knew that it was something. Maybe she just.. knew what it was like, and thus, knew that the last thing he—anyone, in his situation—needed was to be ridiculed, belittled, or somehow otherwise told he sucked now.

It felt unfair, that everyone compared him to the past. It felt unfair that he couldn't shake it off, even when he wanted to.

That he held on so tightly to it, just like the rest of the world. A world that had inherited his legacy of frost and darkness, a Plague upon them all. It was more like a half-remembered dream than something real and tangible out of his past.

His quiet admission seemed to have stunned her, because there were not a lot of words passing her lips. So much for Loudmouth, and he almost felt guilty about it now. It was just.. it was the only thing he knew to call her, though the more poetic depths of his soul spewed out shit like ljósleiftur and hlýja, things that had nothing to do with her, not really, just with what he saw in her electric eyes.

But it didn't matter that she found no words. Because, it wasn't about the words—it was about what she did, and in a way, what she didn't use those cursed words for. And what she did, was care, even though she had no reason. No obligation. No loyalty. But she just did, anyway. And that way she looked at him, blubbed out three words that meant absolutely nothing, was enough. It was more than enough. It was what he needed. Something that meant more than any artfully crafted sentence dropped from stiff, porcelain lips and cold, flat eyes.

More tears welled up, and he still didn't know why, or whence they came. But these tears weren't just there, he could feel them, how they fell from a wound in his soul bleeding light—her brief touch pressing against the hurt like kissing a bruise, so it still hurt but in a better way, and it was beautiful at the same time.

That there still existed a little light in this world.

“…Come on, it’s cold as hell.” It drew a small smile from him, dark lips curving up in a humorless kind of agreement. He wasn't sure he thought it was cold—sure, his cheeks were about to fall off with all the water leeching away his heat—but, he supposed he was used to it. He supposed it was cold, to others, and besides.. he didn't want to argue. What did it matter if he didn't think it was cold, when she did? His tail flicked against his hocks once, and when she turned to a flawless south he followed. It didn't matter where she took him either. Unless she walked him off the edge of the earth, he could live with not knowing.

With a little trust. She had soothed something in him, made a brief, brittle pact of peace with his heart, and, and.. and, while he longed to find Ophelia put things right.. it didn't really matter, if he took a little longer, did it? If he took some time to nurse his own wounds? Some time to just, rest, knowing that someone out in this lonely world cared?

That someone was happy to see him, even after a year or more of absence. That someone was there to tentatively nose his wounded soul.

"Ljós," he whispered to himself as he followed her, his mind unable to find the exact words it wanted to describe the situation, the feeling.
and shatter me

Honestly, though, this huge white snowy bastard was the hugest riddle that I had ever been faced with. It wasn’t like he was his own story—it felt like this jerk had his own saga, man, like his own series or some shit piled in the back of the library, a classic that them there young’uns forgot about and was left to sit there, gathering dust, being something epic all by itself. A story worth reading, if the librarian was kind enough to recommend it (or at least not that much of a bitch to hide it).

He cried some more when I touched him, which skewed something within me, scaring me, thinking I had done something even worse (which wouldn’t have surprised me). But then he…he smiled at me. I mean, sure it was ice-covered and frozen like the rest of him, stiff in a way that only despair could cause—but still. It was a smile. Like maybe he could tell what I was trying (and failing) to do, and he was cool with it, or at least humoring the idea behind it.

And…well, maybe the tears he was crying now were an improvement? (WOW that sounds awful.) No, wait, listen. His other tears had just been there, falling from what seemed like nowhere, and he had just let them because fuck it what else could he do? But THESE tears weren’t just falling; they were bubbling and fresh, an active thing, like they emanated from something internal, a gut-wrenching pain that you couldn’t stitch up so you just had to bear through it until it passed. This…still sounds awful, actually, but shut up I’m getting to the point! The point is that he was probably still in pain—but at least, now he was feeling. Some numbness had broken when I touched him, and I guess there had been a spark between my muzzle and his shoulder, but the fact was that you’re in trouble when you can’t feel anything but Teeny was feeling.

Did…was that me? Did I do that?

He followed behind me, letting me guide him who-knows-where, somewhere warmer, south, trusting me to take him somewhere safe. An awful choice, really, to trust me to do anything right—but I had done something for him, I guess, with the concern I felt for him that I didn’t truly understand myself. I was painfully aware of him behind me; his height and size, the thrum of the air that broke when his big white ass traveled through it, his wet, ice-laden scent and the ragged breathing that misted around his muzzle as he breathed. He whispered something—to me, to himself, I’m not sure which—and I stewed on what he said as we walked, keeping silent and to myself but trying to figure out:

Lee-os? Ley-os? Lih-os?

What the fuck?

Was that…his name?

I mean, it was still far from the time to be asking confirmation on his name—the bro just got reintroduced to his pain, and I wasn’t gonna break the precarious thing I that I had kinda-sorta-maybe helped him accomplished. But Leos (Liy-os? Leyh-ohs? Fuck me.) seemed like something a walking saga would be named, something that rolled off the tongue in a unique, majestic way (that I couldn’t replicate to save my life, goddamn). So I led this dude to warmer places that maybe could thaw out the rest of him—and in my head, I had found a better name for him than Teeny.

Leos.

talk