the Rift

[PRIVATE] Arsonist's Lullaby

Muriel Posts: 54
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 6 Years 4 Months
Brit

Meeting with Argen had been a mistake, but one she had jumped into wholeheartedly. Distracting herself from the gaping hole of loss that seemed determined to make her into a cavern, to devour her until she was but a husk without the light of her darkness. Scoffing at herself for the insanity of that particular thought, warmed inside and out by the salacious act she had just committed, the pale coral girl wandered away from the hilltop that protruded into the clouds like a spire of hope. One she had stood upon as she ripped away the last of her innocence like a particularly bothersome bandaid, like sutures that itched until she ripped them from where they were woven into her skin. No longer whole, fractured, mere pieces of what she was and could have been. What would her mother say? Her father? Gods, what would Leliel say?

Nothing. That's what they'd say. Because she was alone in this fucking world, with a heart too big and too gold for the horrors that awaited the likes of her.

They had nothing to say, they could never impregnate her with the sensation of guilt or shame. They had left her! They had taken her innocence, her devoutness, and shamed and ripped her until she was a shorn piece of ribbon fluttering in the wind. Helpless to what guided her. Helpless to everything, swept away and out of control. By the gods, how Muriel hated being out of control lately. She'd never minded it previously, content to go along with where the current took her, to follow in the steps of any who cared to give her a pleasant smile.

Everything had been ruined.

Where she'd lost herself on the path of life was unknown to the beautiful girl, but at times she rejoiced to have that horrible person gone to the past. Naivety was not as beautiful as she had thought it to be, not until the world had ripped her eyes open and showed her how cruel fate could be. Her heart was like a block of ice, refusing to beat properly, and yet she rejoiced in her sudden newfound freedom. She was free to do whatever she wished, and like a rebellious teenager who had budded way too late in life, she had turned to the physical world of pleasure and unbound obligations.

Argen had been an eye-opening experience, and she had grown addicted to the power she'd felt, the one she'd wielded. There was no real way of finding someone to pursue her path with, but nonetheless her confidence had soared with that single mistake. Though she didn't consider it a mistake, oh no. She found it to be a lesson, showing her the better side, the darker side, of the cruel world she'd been thrust into.

The floating island is beautiful, so far below her. She is powerful, no longer the weak willed child she'd always been, and Muriel had embraced it wholeheartedly. Her dual wings kept her aloft with ease, a pale rose in the sky as she surveys the similar shades of blossom pinks beneath her. She dives like a pale, magnificent flamingo in a swan's body, grazing the petals below with ribboned legs. She soars over the trees, her wings casting huge shadows, and for once she feels triumph and pride in her mutation. Janat had never called her a freak, but she had begun to learn that she was no mutant. She was a powerful, beautiful creature.

Landing with a spray and splash of water in the throat of the hilled waterfalls, she lifts her wings to thrust the water into the air, delighting in the diamonds they create as they hit the sun.

She has found peace.

@[Gull]

Muriel
I thought you promised me the world?
Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Gull Posts: 120
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 9 (Tallsun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Splat :: Royal Zephyr :: Phoenix Shady

GULL
trouble just grew wings

You fled. It is almost eerie, for it is nearly just as it was so many moons before: the long flight over the sea, the way the wild anger and sorrow that burned in your heart made their way though your lungs to your wings, then into the nothingness of the air that parted in your wake. Gradually, the tangle of emotions will fade merely into a dull ache that you will push off until tomorrow, but for now, they are fresh, raw, begging to be probed at and stung with the salt of the tears that never flow for any other reason. You’ve done it all before.

But this time, you do not wait for your wings to give out on you. Instead, you set a course, striking out for the highest place you know, a place where they couldn’t possibly dare to come. You hate the floating island, but where else is there to go? Within hours, the waterfalls that surround the Caela come into a hazy focus on the horizon, and you pump your wings even harder, racing the late afternoon sun to the shelter of their shadowy cliffs. Darkness will fall soon, and you intend to roost there for the night. And in the morning…perhaps it is time you took your leave of this land, you think through your belabored breathing. It was never home, anyway. Nowhere is.

Your long shadow hits the ground before you, dark and wispy wings mirroring your own light ones as you gallop hard into your landing. The air up here stinks of blossoms as usual, with no hint of the ocean below. Good. You need no more reminders tonight of the beach you just left, of the atrocity you just witnessed, of the family you once left to die on a beach like that one. You merely want to be alone with your thoughts.

@[Muriel]

OOC: Gull’s sort of an emotional wreck right now, so in the spirit of him seeking temporary comfort, let’s do this thang! Just a note, he’s landed nearby but hasn’t noticed her yet.

text
"speech"

Image Credits
Please do not tag Gull except for in opening posts or spars!

Deceased
Brit

From above another comes like a comet, inflamed and scorching the air with the intensity of his emotions. He draws her gaze like he is truly a devastating form of earth, intending to obliterate her and all she has come to know. Powerful, but out of control. The landing alone is harsh, though her eyes strain to see him from the distance between them. He is like a hurricane, unsure if which way to spin, and thus tearing himself apart.

A war wages inside her, the new queen in residence warning against her old ways of compassion and outreach. Yet she cannot ignore the bidding of her own personality, changed though it is. Perhaps it's fundamental to her persona, and attempting to remove her own kindness would be like uprooting bedrock and leaving the rest built on top to crumble. Whoever the stranger is, his emotions are like a tang in the back of her throat, driving her own emotional state into one of discomfort. Her empathy had always been her strongest point, but lately she'd been regarding it as her largest weakness in tandem.

Muriel fought with herself a few seconds more before she crumbles, the only outward sign a pinch of her brow and a soft, resigned sigh. Thrusting herself from the river, she jogs towards the panting fellow, water illuminating the fuchsia ribbons round her legs and clinging to the gold outlines even as it chills her. It collects and beads on the filaments of her feathers where she had showered herself, gleams rose and cerise as she moves towards him.

His distress clings to her like sap, and she wants to rid him of it.

"Hello? Are you okay?" she queries, peering at him with a worried crease to her brow as she slowly moves closer, not wishing to infringe on his personal space nor startle him with too fast of an approach. Already she can feel her heart melting for him, and the new budding side of her scoffs in defeat. It seemed even the worst of situations could not harden her golden heart.

@[Gull]

Muriel
Show me beautiful, and I'll show you wonderful
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

GULL
trouble just grew wings

“Hello? …Are you okay?” The sweet voice, quiet and concerned, floats through the air, settling lightly down upon you like the soft caress of a feather adrift on the breeze. Pale eyes turn towards the source of the sound, and you find that you seem to have stumbled upon some sort of cherry blossom incarnate: the girl is pink in the truest sense of the word, draped in shades of magenta from fetlock to forelock, with the only exceptions being touches of gold glinting here and there. And from her withers, four—yes, four—magnificent wings sprout, loosely unfurled as she wonders aloud whatever could be the matter.

You don’t blink at her appearance, as you would have before this morning on the beach. If something as awful as a creature with both horns and wings can exist, why not she? Yet you do not despise her for the extra appendages; in truth you find them magnificent, comforting even in the assurance that the blood of your kind still runs strong (more than strong) in the veins of some. Wearily, you wonder what it might be like to be held in the firm softness of wings such as those. Unbidden, you have the sudden urge to press your face into them and feel the down, hear the feathers rustle and shift, and know that they are real.

But she asked you a question. Peach muzzle crinkles as your lips tighten instinctively, but you offer her a noncommittal shrug. “I’ll be all right,” you reply, chest still heaving from your flight. “I’m lucky that way,” you mutter between breaths, more of an aside than a response. There is a bitter emphasis placed upon the word “lucky,” for though the fickle Lady has kept you alive, it has not stopped the mistress of fate from tossing you about like a child’s plaything. For a moment, you are silent, brooding over this realization. And then, because you don’t know what else to say, you lift your eyes to the mare’s. “How are you?”

Perhaps it is strange, to be asking so familiar a question to a complete stranger, but it’s all you can think of. It would be rude to walk away, and even though manners are not your forté, a part of you is moved that she would enquire after you. So you hold her gaze, wondering how this stranger finds herself this evening. Hopefully better than you.

text
"speech"

Image Credits

Deceased
Brit

Pale gems turn to view her slowly, weariness seeming to linger and sap at his very marrows, turning to dial on reaction speed to something far less capable of defending himself. To his credit, her words had not been set in a tone to inspire fright, and he was correct in assuming that she was no more of a threat than the blossoms that drifted on the river's surface. His eyes reflect that train of thought, a pale azure that draws her in, the concern in her budding like blossoms on a birdsong branch. She steps a little closer, watching as his gaze- like all others- was drawn to her wings. Learning they were not a normality in Helovia had been odd, but she'd quickly grown accustomed to the large range of reactions her form brought about. Patiently she awaited him, lavender eyes crinkled at the edges, her concern unwavering despite his exhaustion and distraction.

Finally, a quirk of peach lips lets her shoulders fall down in minimal display of relief, though her expression never wavers. Though his sincerity is flawless, she doubts him. Perhaps he was lying to himself? It was likely, as mere moments later he was muttering bitterly beneath his breath. A soft coo of understanding touched her lips, nearly as quiet as his own ruminations.

"Just because you shall be alright does not mean you currently are," she pointed out as gently as she could manage. Leliel had never failed to grow spiky and vicious when she continued to press, lightly though it may have been. It had instilled in Muriel a tentativeness, a hesitance to her own comforts. Though there was little physically ill with the stranger, and Muriel did not know him well enough to aid him in any other way, so she let him slip into his silence and draw his barriers round with a sort of ignorance that affected them both.

He asks after Muriel next, and she startles, lavender gems going wide and a startled smile flying to her lips. She'd been so lonely lately, she hadn't heard that question posed for many weeks. Seasons, even. "I am doing well. Better now that I have company," she admitted somewhat shyly, but her smile was radiant. Even the most mulish of strangers could lighten her day just because they deemed her worthy of being around.

Stepping closer, her wings fluttered demurely, a better tell to her emotions than anything her face could display. She was nervously excited, beckoning him subconsciously closer with little curls of her wingtips, wishing not to ruin the tentative association they'd formed. "My name is Muriel. Can I know yours? Perhaps I can help you take your mind off whatever has caused you such distress," is offered, voice dropping back to concern and a desire to help as she mentioned his previous state of disarray, face expressive with her dismay over his emotional well-being. Surely not her business, but her heart was too big to not encompass him.

@[Gull]

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

GULL
trouble just grew wings

“Just because you shall be all right does not mean you currently are,” the pink-winged creature comments lightly, words more of a suggestion than a rebuke. Perceptive, aren’t we? She’s right, but you let her observation go by unbidden. You don’t want her pity, and you’re certainly not going to talk about your feelings with her. So you say nothing, slipping back into a moody silence instead.

It seems though, that she is even more surprised than you when you ask after her. Dusky eyes light up, like twin sunsets in reverse, and a fleeting smile hovers on her lips. Despite your broody state, a corner of your mouth twitches upward in amusement. You only asked her how she was, after all. It’s not as if you had asked her to bear your children.

“I am doing well. Better now that I have company,” the girl replies, and you watch her mouth tremble, catching the shy smile before it leaves and coaxing it to bloom across her face. She looks nice like that, you think vaguely, pretty. And though your heart still aches with the heaviness of grief and guilt, there is something hopeful about that smile that your subconscious just can’t ignore. Without realizing it, as she draws closer to you, you take a step, then two, towards her.

As if to emphasize her happiness, four wings fan and flutter gently while the mare speaks again, introducing herself as Muriel. “Can I know yours?” she inquires, before adding in the same gentle tone, “Perhaps I can help you take your mind off whatever has caused you such distress.” In another time, in another place, you would have had a lewd remark ready (and all things considered, if everything went according to the usual pattern, she’d be flying off by now with you cackling after her), but subdued as you are, you search your mind and find nothing. “Gull,” you tell her simply. No gimmicks, no pickup lines, just Gull. “And I’m fine,” you insist doggedly, brushing away her concern. Perhaps the words sound hollow, or perhaps you both know that you’re lying though, for as soon as they’ve left your mouth, you know that she won’t believe you.
“…Can we please not talk about it?” you ask quietly, lowering your head to look up at her, voice almost pleading. “I just want to forget.”

text
"speech"

Image Credits

Deceased
Brit

It seemed he was too far into his emotions to be brought out by her gentle prodding, and Muriel respected that. At times, later on when Leliel had asked her to teach him how to love (a prospect she found as daunting as she had the moment he'd asked it of her), he would be willing to answer and open up about how he was feeling. Other times he retreated, uncomfortable, prideful. Suspecting the handsome stranger was favoring the latter in that moment (and the fact that she was unknown to him likely playing a large part in why he was reluctant to share), she respectfully backed away from that particular method of helpfulness. There were other ways to distract and dissuade the mind from depression and despair. Muriel, having been at Leliel's side all her life, had grown intimate with such tactics.

Whatever it is about her reaction that garners a twitch of the lips only furthers her beatific smile, glowing like a pink sun from within has lit up her insides and melted her inhibitions. What few she had as of late, truly. Loneliness warped the mind into appreciating even the smallest of kindnesses, and she was no exception.

He reels in closer to her, like magnets polarized for one another, and she matches him. No matter how she guards her face, her wings are guileless, low but revealing the soft undersides in a shameless invitation for his physical nearness. Though he had already answered that whim, Argen's closeness played on repeat in the back of her mind. The touch of his muzzle, the profound heat of his body pressing tight and insistent into her own. It was addictive, like whiskey and gin, and she was readily pursuing it in this quiet, tortured soul.

"Gull."

It breaks her out of her thoughts, and she nearly chirps in her excitement, her revelation, her eureka of discovery. "Gull," she repeated, running it sensually on her tongue, tasting every curve and edge of her own syntax forming around the syllable of his name. She smiles like a rose, slow and unfurling, pleased by this simplistic gift he has extended to her. "It's a pleasure, Gull," she exhales on a smile, as if she is a permanent sunrise incapable of moving forward in time. Always soft in her brightness, bringing about hope and clarity.

His pleading breaks her gentle heart, and she nods quietly, her smile slipping for a moment beneath the weight of his seriousness, his sorrow. No condolences could fix this, and so she tried a different approach. "Of course, I apologize," she admitted sincerely on a mere murmur. Turning slightly, she gestured down the river with a slight smile playing on her lips. "Let us forget about it, then. Care to accompany me?" She hesitates only long enough for him to think, dancing backward towards the river and letting her wings ripple and curl in a playful manner, nearly courting were she so bold. Pale gold tips flash in the light, and she cocks her head with an encouraging smile. Perhaps they could merely walk, or play in the water like children. Though it is none of her business, she has made it hers, and the desire to erase from him whatever had hurt him is strong in her.

@[Gull]

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

GULL
trouble just grew wings

You’ve been called many names in your life (most of them unpleasant, occasionally your own), but you swear that no one has ever called you ‘Gull’ before—at least, not the way she says it. You didn’t know there were ways to draw out one syllable, to make the guttural l’s purr like twin cats…to make it sound like a lover’s name. Muriel’s voice treats it with such tenderness, smoothing the jagged edges with the steady sweetness of her tone, just as water in a brook works away at a shard of rock until it is a mere pebble: rounded and harmless. It is a soft sigh, sent out into the long and slanting rays of the late afternoon sun, the precursor to the peace offering she extends in response to your plea.

“Of course, I apologize,” the pink mare returns delicately, but with a note of genuine sincerity in her words. For an instant, the smile flickers like a candle flame in the wind, and you feel a brief pang of regret for causing her any unhappiness; soon enough, however, her lips curve upwards once more and she graciously changes the subject. Very well, her eyes seem to say, and her mouth parts to put the matter to rest: “Let us forget about it then.”

With that, she turns in a brilliant display of wings, stepping off lightly towards one of the rivers that feeds these island falls. Magenta feathers spread, expanding and contracting enticingly—but just in case you don’t get the idea, she is courteous enough to send a lighthearted invitation over her shoulder. “Care to accompany me?” Muriel calls, tilting her head in your direction. Gratitude floods your heart in that moment for her tacit understanding, and silently you thank her. But you do not bother with words that will only catch in your throat—and besides, you are a man of action. Thus, you merely follow her, letting her lead you to the water…but if she looks closely, Muriel will see the corners of your mouth drawing up again.

Once at the riverbank, you wade in immediately, letting the cool water numb your fetlocks and your pain. Perhaps it is not saltwater, but it is good for your soul nonetheless—much as Muriel seems to be. It is uncanny, the way that this blossom of a girl understands you. You wonder…

Casting a sidelong glance at her, you slowly lift a hoof from the river…and strike it flat across the water’s surface. It is a small splash, experimental—tentative—but enough to send a fine spray in her direction. As you watch her from the corners of your eyes, awaiting her reaction, the ghost of a grin hovers just behind your lips. Muriel has already caught one smile today. Will she be able to bring another to light?

text
"speech"

Image Credits

Deceased
Brit

He is quiet, but not in a disrespectful way. In fact, she feels as if she has captured and held his attention perhaps more than any other she's ever met. His eyes never waver, crystalline, azure. They drag her in like twin rivers, like the diamond rain that used to fall on Janat. They remind her of innocence, of playfulness and joy that had seemed omnipresent, unshakable. He is intense, in a way that sends trembles playing down her spine like each vertebrae is an ivory key, and he plays her like a finely tuned instrument with the barest of words and expressions. She's lucky he does not know her well, or she would be on her knees at his mercy, so strong was her benign nature. One just knew how to work it, manipulate her, and yet his foxlike features seemed to enrapture her all the same. He was an enigma, a puzzle with ten missing pieces, a glass figurine with a missing ear. Individual, special. It was in the way he looked at her, and Muriel was desperate to figure him out.

Each smile comes in the barest of flickers, a weak flame in a hearty wind, but it zings through her heart and skips it like a pebble across the sea of her emotions. It is a gift, especially considering the miserable state he was in when she'd wandered across him. Like coaxing a frightened child from their hiding place, each baby step lit across her nerves like a fire, a reward for reading him as well as she could manage. In turn, her smile answered his, wordless but beautiful set in the pale colors of her elegant face.

It does not fade as she turns, long legs sauntering to the riverbank and long plume dancing behind her. Gull's steps echoed behind her, muted though they were on the lush grasses, but she felt triumphant over the fact that he had followed her and trusted her enough to help him forget his woes and worries and indulge in the lighter side of life for a few minutes more. It was Muriel's greatest gift, the ability to spin even the darkest of shadows into a glowing thread of light, and she desired nothing more in that moment than to share it with the handsome brute beside her.

They wade in together, and she dips her head to take in a few mouthfuls. Her eyes glance over at Gull, only to see him just as he splashes the water. She jolted, wings puffing out like an angry cat in a rather hilarious manner, and a curious squeaking noise popped out of her lips in surprise. Her gold-streaked hair clung to the curve of her cheek, the hollow of her temple, and curled round her happily squinted eyes. Her shocked silence abruptly dissolved into laughter, a sudden glint in her eyes promising sweet, swift, wet revenge. Her smaller wing dipped into the water, and she flung it up and out to send a large spray of water in his direction. Dancing further into the river she shook her body and laughed, smirk downright devious, daring him to give her his best. His smile alone was all the reason she needed, but it was undeniably fun, and she enjoyed being around him already. Maybe it would be good for the both of them.

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

GULL
trouble just grew wings

Her reaction is so much bigger than you could have expected that you cannot help but snort in surprise. It is funny, but Muriel’s face is initially so shocked that briefly, you wonder if you have made a terrible mistake. She showed you kindness, and (quite literally) you’ve thrown cold water on her! Any hint of amusement wavers and dies at the thought of offending such a gentle soul—she is unlike anyone you have ever met here, for there is a certain fragility to her that you do not dare tamper with for fear of breaking it. Grey-capped head ducks in a rare display of shame, and an apology is nearly ready to tumble from humbled lips…and then she splashes you with a great wave of water, giggling all the way.

Her retaliation catches you off-guard, and for a moment you can only stand there, drenched, as you stare at her stupidly. And then, the full weight of the action hits you, and forget making you smile—in a heartbeat, you’ve completely bypassed smiling and are shaking with the force of your laughter. Birds nearby startle and flee at the noise of your obnoxious cackling, the sound of your raucous hee-hawing about as unwelcome on this peaceful river as a rabid raccoon at high tea. But you don’t care. You seize the lifeline Muriel has tossed you like a drowning man, and as she shimmies deeper into the water, you charge after her with a vigor that surprises even you. It may be playful…but there is a purpose to your motion, a purpose that she had not inspired in you until now.

If she doesn’t move, within seconds, you will close the gap between you. If she doesn’t shy, you will find yourself drawing near to her, out in the middle of the river where the current flows fast and strong—but not as fast and strong as the surge of whatever is flowing through your veins in this moment. If she doesn’t flinch, perhaps flesh will meet flesh for the first time, nose pressed to nose, chest to chest, beating heart against bared soul . If. It is a word full of possibilities, and it hovers between your outstretched muzzle and her own like an unspoken invitation.

It is ironic, really: the one you had once thought so fragile has all of the power to make or break your china heart.

text
"speech"

Image Credits

Deceased
Brit

They are caught in a stalemate of wonder, staring at each other as Muriel's brain works double time. Had she broken through to him? The idea elates her, for even though he is practically a stranger to her, her soul desired to encompass all living, breathing creatures in a blanket of love and security. To see she had made even the smallest measure of progress was simply staggering, in the best kind of way. Were she aware of the hesitation it caused in him, the shame, she would have reacted swifter. Instead, she let her laughter do all the explaining, cheeks nearly hurting with the effervescent nature of her delight. It is his turn to stare at her stupidly, which only makes her laugh even more, eyes like bright snapdragon blossoms.

His laughter twines with hers soon after, coiling up and out in a symphony of their delight. No laughter could ever sound bad to the maiden, because it was a simplistic expression of one of her favorite emotions. She is caught up in her happiness, partially simply because he was happy, but his movement makes her eyes wink and twinkle mischievously as she dances further from reach. The river is swift but it cannot match the rushing beat of her heart, playing at her legs in the same manner that they play and gallivant around with one another.

A delighted, if surprised, squeak escapes her pale rose lips as Gull suddenly lunged for her. Her automatic reaction was further, breathless laughter as she surged away in response. A game of chase, where the inevitable tag was something interesting, delicate. Unknown. Muriel always was a curious thing. So she pauses, lips curled in an enchanting smile as he suddenly bears down upon her. Even as her eyes widen in surprise, she does not move away, mock lifting her knees as if to embrace or knock against him. Their muzzles dance dangerously close, and his heat washes over her. It prompts a reaction from her, four wings rushing forth as if to welcome him into her embrace. Encouraging, grasping, needy. His chest is fleeting against hers, and she desires him back, but feels as if it's not her right to ask. So instead she does it wordlessly, with her wings and her body.

Their foreheads are nearly touching, and she smiles. Shyer but more radiant. "Well hi there," she laughs softly, quiet, as if speaking any louder would break the spell he'd cast on her. She's tempted to hold her breath, afraid he will back away from her reaching wings, her eyes that are as plainly read as the weather overhead. She was tired of being alone. Maybe he was too.

@[Gull]

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

GULL
trouble just grew wings

…and she does not move. Your muzzle bridges the gap between you, coming close enough to hers that you can feel her exhilarated breath mixing with yours, close enough that the gentle notes of her laughter tickle your nose with light, staccato puffs of air. Then she closes the gap, this pink angel, as her chest brushes yours. It is fleeting, but as she draws back, four wings rush forward in a rustle of feathers, reaching for you, pulling you closer once more.

…and you let her. Eyes close briefly as she embraces you—no, holds you—to her body, causing a shiver of pleasure to run down your spine. Her wings are firm against your sides, and you find yourself trying to memorize the feeling of her feathers on your skin. It is more magnificent than you imagined it, resting cradled in Muriel’s wings, for you feel safe, and warm, and wanted here. Despite all your bravado, you have never felt so wanted anywhere else, by anyone else, and you bask in the sun of her affection like a man who has never seen the light until now…because truly, you haven’t.

…and then she speaks. Just before your foreheads bump, she stops a hair’s distance away, making you wonder: what will happen if you cross that line? “Well hi there,” she whispers with a quiet laugh, and in that moment, her easy acceptance of your presence breaks upon you like a wave crashing over your head. Decision made, you tilt your head forward, closing the gap between your faces if she will allow it. A low nicker escapes your lips, meant for her ears alone, like a prayer offered to a goddess from the fervent mouth of a believer. For with every knowing smile, she is converting you.

…and this you confess, though in not so many words. Your response is quiet, voice rough and low, but filled with a longing that is almost tangible.I want you. It’s much too soon, and far from socially appropriate, but you don’t care. You do want her, and not just for that reason. You want her because you feel that somehow, she understands you, respects you, cares for you even—you, a mere pitiful soul, a pathetic runaway who crashed into her life this afternoon as abruptly as a meteor falling from the sky. Muriel saw you at your lowest, and yet she has taken you for who you are. And for that, you are willing to bare your heart to her. For tonight, it is hers if she will have it.

text
"speech"

Image Credits

Deceased
Brit

Each breath seems to wash over her face, the beat of his heart a mere moment away from her surely being able to hear it. He comes into her wings like a lover, like a missing piece. Pale feathers clasp around him, and she shivers against her will, caught in the flow of her emotions as they stand in the river together. They are shrouded in a veil of feathers, pinks and whites and golds. He is warm and enticing in her grip, and she can't help but shuffle a tiny bit closer, as if they could possibly crawl in one another's skin and never be alone again. Didn't they deserve that? Was the world too cruel to grant them their happiness, swift and baseless as it was? No. She won't allow that to happen. Her wings tighten subtly against his sides as if mimicking her decisive thoughts.

Some pinnacle is reached as he closes his eyes, and their foreheads meet, hornless, bare. Others may have hated them for what they lacked, but they would never be able to experience the deep connection their stances formed. Forehead to forehead, as close as two souls could get without crossing a line she knew was wavering between them. One she'd just as soon see dissolve and fade away like the ripples in the creek they stood in.

A soft, deep sound curls around her like smoke and whiskey, and just as intoxicating. Wordless, as things used to be, so long ago. When they were not even thought of, mere molecules to be created thousands of years later. She responds, a soft whicker of noise through her lips. For his desperation, she responds with softness, with encouragement. It's okay, she's saying. Let go. What she's urging him to let go of, she doesn't know. She can only sense that he is struggling, that there is a peak he has to reach for him to find solace.

Aloud, he seems to do just that.

Muriel likely would have been far more embarrassed by the notion if she had not met Argen. Instead, she merely bumped her forehead firmly against Gull's and smiled until she could feel light flowing into her pores. "I'm right here. You already have me." It is whispered for his ears, and she can't help the warm peacefulness that stirs in her belly. Her wings arch higher and she allows him to take from her. Everything. And this time, it doesn't feel so much like she's empty and shelled. No, this time, she feels whole. She feels healed.

Muriel
Image Credit
Plot with me here!

GULL
trouble just grew wings

And just like that, she lets you in. “I’m right here,” she whispers, with a smile so strong that you feel the velvet of her muzzle shift against yours. “You already have me.” If her acceptance was a wave, her assurance is the tide, foamy and gentle as it washes over your soul, filling in the cracks and leaving it smooth and bare. A deep sigh huffs through your lips, and you stir, leaning into her…and leaning into her…and leaning into her…but your hooves stay firmly planted on the river bottom. For now that the moment of truth has arrived, the horrible realization hits you that you have no idea what to do. Well, you mean, you know what’s supposed to happen (you think?), but when it comes to actually doing it, you find that you’re feeling unexpectedly shy. It’s not that she hasn't inspired you (because she has) (in a big way), it’s just…well, you haven’t exactly done this before. Ever.

A little panicked, you pull away in a clumsy rush, lean white legs sloshing noisily through the water. From the depths, your hooves pull up mud; the suction causing uncomfortable sucking sounds that you pray she doesn’t hear…even though there’s no way that she could have missed them. And then, as if it can’t get any worse, you stumble into her as you fight to keep your balance, awkwardly bringing your muzzle down on her rump in the process. So much for preserving the moment.

Yet she doesn’t leave you or laugh, only looks around at you with the same patient eyes that remind you of why you’re doing this in the first place. Though your hours together have been brief, she has seen into your soul and given herself to you anyways, and for you, that is enough. You only worry that you will not be enough for her…and that, you know, if you can’t do this then your manhood will be thrown completely in question (if you’re being completely honest here).

But you are not a quitter. You may have left your home and left your herd, but you will not leave her. For once in your life, you will show someone what she means to you, not in word but in deed. The choice is simple: you stay.

text
"speech"

Image Credits