the Rift

Burning Bridges

Menagerie Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I had done it. I had finally stepped forth into this world. Perhaps I had truly gotten tired of all the hatred I had faced in my home land. Perhaps I had just wanted to see something new. For whatever reason, I had found myself stepping across the boundaries of Helovia, stepping inside, going forth. The barrier seemed to pull me in, and when I arrived on the other side, it was as if nothing had changed. I didn't quite expect it to, but somehow I had felt that I should feel... somewhat different. I wanted it to feel the like the fresh start I was looking for. But how could I really? I snorted softly, pelt twitching as the weather changed around me. It seemed to warm simply by being there, from stepping from one side to the other. I paused, my one audit swiveling, attempting to catch any sound on the light breeze.

The sun warmed my skin as I stepped farther into the strange territory. I needed to be just as cautious as I had always been. Even though I had spent perhaps three weeks, maybe a full month, pacing the outside of this new realm before I finally dared to venture forth. My one good eye swept the ground before me, my senses balancing out before me, hearing well on one side, seeing clearly with the other. I closed my pallid eye, the washed-out colours fading from sight. I wasn't entirely blind on my right side, but enough that it did me no good to have the pink orb open all the time. The sun still hurt, the heat making it feel as if the socket around the sphere was bubbling.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts of those horrible memories. No. This was a place to start fresh, that was my goal here. My daggers pressed carefully into the ground as my tangle of black tresses fell before my vision. I contemplated if I should turn back. After all, with my appearance, I most likely would not be welcomed by whoever saw me first. Or perhaps I would get lucky and I would get to explore this new area discretely for a time, slipping in through the darkness so as not to startle anyone who might come across my visage. I gave a raspy chuckle, a sound I had slowly grown accustom to over the last few years. I used to sound like a tinkling bell, and now I sounded like a crow gasping for air. Perhaps the darkness would just make my burns seem all the more sinister. Perhaps light would make me seem less like the threat that I seemed to come across as to most creatures.

I took a deep, shaking breath, trying to acquaint myself with my surroundings. It seemed peaceful, and for some reason, that frightened me. It had been such a long time since I had experienced such a thing, and I had to wonder if perhaps instead of crossing over to the new land, I had been murdered in my previous sleep. I wasn't sure which would be most appealing to me. In any case, I had a new beginning to explore, despite my skittish nature. I walked carefully through the trees, attempting to find some cool shade to hide behind. My seal bay coat was beginning to get uncomfortably warm. I couldn't stand the heat of the day much any more since my incident. The summer months were damn near unbearable these days. I snorted softly, my audit flicking as it tried to determine if there was anyone near by who would interrupt me. My muscles tensed, coiled and ready to run should someone surprise me. I doubted that it would happen, though.

I came upon a willow tree, weeping at the sight of me. It seemed to fit well. I carefully stepped into the branches and found solace among the draping leaves that allowed the cool air to surround my being. I took a deep breath again, letting calm attempt to come over me. I should try not to be so afraid of this place. I had such high hopes, that perhaps this Helovia would not be like my home, that I would find someone, anyone, who would accept me as I was now. I held a deep ache in my bodice. I was a lonely, and those who had dared to look upon me had all run in fear, assuming that what had been done to me would be done to them as well, at my own hand. They assumed I was a creature of malevolent nature.

I gave a soft sigh, dipping my tiara to the grass below, nipping at a few strands. That was not so. I was as gentle a soul as anyone could ever have been. I did not deserve the horrible things that had happened to me. I still did not understand why, but I had been far gone from trying to question or gain knowledge or understanding as to any of it. I had given up long ago on clarity for the situation. I simply accepted myself. There were still days when my visage made me want to curl and die in a cave, and they were many, compared to the days when I felt free and beautiful. It had been so long since I had felt beautiful. It had been so long since I had even heard my own voice. I didn't recognize what it was now. Some rasping whisper; that was not who I was. I was a young spirit, free, loving... Or I was. That Minnie was long gone now. I didn't know who she had been replaced with.

I chewed thoughtfully on the grass before me. It tasted as sweet as I could ever imagine it. Perhaps it was simply because it was new to me, perhaps it was because of the willow branches that protected me, perhaps it was that for once I was not seeing myself graze. For whatever reason, the blades were a treasure to me. I almost forgot that I was a horrid beast. I began to relax, no longer on high alert for any sort of creature that might want to find me in my vulnerable state. I felt much safer in these willow branches than I had been since I had been left with my scars. I felt no fear. I felt peace course through me. Perhaps Helovia was the beginning that I was looking for after all.

---
WC :: 1092
Muse :: Fabulous

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

Oxy the Addict Posts: 322
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2hh :: 9 [Tallsun] HP: 73.5 | Buff: DANCE
Unnamed :: Common Boggart :: Mayhem Sevin
So that chant you have- don’t hurt the babies, don’t hurt the babies, don’t hurt the babies… Yeah, that one. It was getting a little hard to keep up with that because of how much pain you were in. It was like you were being crushed- like a tree had fallen down upon you, and then ten more trees had done the same thing. Oh, and then somebody caught those trees on fire, and left them all to burn you, leaving you as nothing but a pile of ash on the filthy, muddy ground. The pain has been terrible, and has only gotten worse. For all the fights you’ve been in, all the spars and challenges you’ve tested your body with, you have never felt so terribly broken as you have been lately. Of course, there is only one solution…

Having made your way to the ocean and gathered your beloved plants (hallelujah, thank the Gods that they are growing once again). Of course, having gathered them, you immediately begin to ingest them… The whole world dissolves into chaos.

The bag on your shoulder is stuffed to the very brim with your locoweed plants, the seams bulging as they strain to contain all of the vines that you stuffed in there. Your horseshoes click against some rocks as you stumble over them- except they aren’t rocks at all and you’re kind of hella confused about why it is that giant tortoise (the rocks) are letting you stop on them in the first place. And why didn’t you see that it was a tortoise until you were on top of it? Dammit. Fuck the Moon Goddess.

Stumbling a few more steps, thinking as you fumble and fall about that at least you can’t hurt the babies while you’re all the way… well… wait. Where are you, anyways? “Hey!” you shout out to nobody in particular, slamming your hoof against a random nearby tree (or is that a rhinoceros you just kicked?). The high is so good and you’ve waited so long for it, but you can’t figure out what to do about the images that may or may not be reality. Cantering a few steps away from the presumably angry rhino, you come to a sudden halt as you suddenly find yourself trapped in a swirling vortex of butterflies (the willow tree).

Great. A butterfly tornado. Just what the doctor ordered.

You’re about to plan your brilliant escape from said tornado when your fuzzy vision catches sight of some creature. The master of the butterflies? Perhaps. But then, you never imagined that the master of the butterflies would be even uglier than you. You mean… you’re skinny and all, but your face… well, your face definitely doesn’t look as jacked up as hers does. “Hey!” you shout again as the sound from all the butterfly wings rises in your ears. It’s too damn noisy in here. “Knock it off… or I’ll make you.” Your demand is all but useless, since she’s not actually doing anything, but you don’t really know that, do you?

Lowering your head to the ground, you adopt a base wide stance as you try to keep yourself from toppling over. Your drugs are disorienting enough- the sounds of the butterflies is just making it worse.

OOC| Anything that seems weird is because Oxy is hallucinating, due to a quest he is on.
Oxy
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Please do not tag Oxy unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered

It was beautiful, this peace. So wonderful, so well deserved. And then it shattered, like lightning passing through the void of darkness, illuminating everything. It all came crashing down. Hey! The voice was thick and oily, I could feel it sliding through my audit. Clearly whatever beast was approaching was not... normal. Perhaps that made them like me, but I didn't want to chance it. I straightened up to my full height, barely clearing 15 hands, trying to make myself seem full of muscle. I was not one to fight, but I would if I absolutely had to. My Irish Draught blood coursed through me, my heart pounding as I pressed against the base of the willow tree and waited.

I wasn't prepared for what was coming, and I knew that very well. I didn't know what I expected at all, a gigantic beast, I suppose, with the way the thrashing and romping was coming to my ear. I didn't want some massive beast to eat me alive. Perhaps this Helovia was not the heaven that I had made it out to be moments ago. Perhaps I had been swallowed whole by a complete and fiery hell. It then opened the curtain of safety and let the light shine through.

I quickly shut my pale orb, giving a hoarse whiny as the sunlight began to burn the surface of my scar. It was like it was being festered all over again, as if the two years that had passed had not healed it at all. I tossed my cranium, black tresses flicking around as I tried to protect myself from the beast. I could not see him, but I could hear him, clear as day. He... demanded I stop.

Stop what? Stop being the creature that I was? I stepped back and hit the base of the willow tree, giving a cry again, this time my voice raising up in as loud a screech I could. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!" Apologizing? For what? I was apologizing for existing, for daring to be at peace in a place that I was unfamiliar with. I was apologizing for making this mistake, for stumbling upon whatever beast had decided to find me. My voice scared me, causing my pelt to ripple with fear. It sounded like a dying crone, one that was suffocating under ash and fire.

Fire. Fire. FIRE. The memories washed over me and I could handle it no longer. My one good eye began to water with tears I tossed my cranium, throwing apologies at the beast before me. Maybe he would just kill me and that would be enough. Perhaps this all could just end and that would be all of it. The heat of the sun made my skin want to boil. I screamed again, stepping farther back. "Shut it, gods, please make it stop!" I was at the mercy of this beast. It was between me and the safety of the shade, and he was ruining it.

Anger welled up in me, no longer feeling fear of the beast before me, but of the sun that he brought with him. I stamped a dagger against the ground in protest, begging him again to shut the willow curtain and give me peace.

----
Notes:: No worries! Makes for a fun read. Minnie is pretty much in a panic so she can't decide which way to feel right now, so sorry if it feels a little all over the place.

EDIT:: The burning sensation is psychosomatic, so it's not actually burning. The trauma from her previous experience causes her to believe that the sunlight is more painful than should be to her scar, so it's all in her head. Sorry if that wasn't entirely clear. ^.^;

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

In recent weeks Africa had returned to the Threshold forest again, and again. It had become part of a mind numbing ritual, a distraction from the tides of grief and guilt that seemed to swell with the weather; the gloom before rain helped little to quell surging torrents of tears, though the clearest days, when all of His glorious sunlight bled down upon her, clarity numbed all thought. She had not lifted prayer to the heavens for many months (at least since her fall from grace, from Dragon’s Throat), but since her grim encounter with Satanic Silk, the emptiness was growing too much.

Fire...

But light-golden eyes fluttered open, startled by her own conviction, by the desperation of her heart. She was terrified of Him it was true, though always He had showered her with generous gifts and titles; never had the God of the Sun been anything more menacing than benevolent. Guilt plagues you. Silas mentioned often, in passing, but her faith swayed terribly now that the power of the Earth was swimming through her veins – He would be furious... The Starry-Eyed blinked softly, vaguely, and her slim ashen face turned back to the stone littered path winding down from the Falls.

As he often did, Silas trailed behind, pausing to dine on ripening acorns that seemed more prolific in these northernmost forests than through any other. Despite the disfavour his beloved showed for the oak-nuts, he could barely resist the (now frequent) opportunity to forage through the decorated tree tops. It was for this reason that the preoccupied zephyr had failed to reveal the presence of another along the way.

Africa too was distracted, though she had trained her stride well to move without sound; almost too without trace. Wherever thick grass tussocks bulged out from beneath the heavy mat of forest litter, careful hooves were placed upon them – and so too loose gravel or anything else which might better conceal her lowly travelling. Above, gentle eyes roamed through the trees scattered ahead, blind to the waltzing shadows and flittering birdlife; seeing naught but a haze of pained memories and entirely unaware of the unfamiliar mare beneath the soft wilt of the willow nearby.

‘Hey!’

Long ears pricked suddenly, the left swivelling back suddenly to roost beneath plumes of curling fire, and Africa paused with one knee still crooked high above the ground. The voice continued, demanding and threatening, and she hesitated anxiously, truly not hungry for confrontation that day.

Warily she cast her eyes left and right, and turned on the spot to survey the path behind – there was no one there that she could see, and a nervous sigh escaped her lungs. Only as she was fidgeting back around again, did Africa notice the blur of movement beneath, inside, the tree. Both ears pitched backwards as she approached, a look of bewilderment ripe across her features.,. “Is someone in there?” More voices, panicked, and a shrill whinny burst from somewhere within the bowed branches, and Africa jumped with surprise as dark a rump emerged to her front. “Woah...” Chin tucked promptly and chipped hooves staggered backwards should the rear continue in reverse.

Silas!

Image Credits

You’ve entered this mare’s life with all the subtlety of an elephant in the back seat of a mini cooper, but she’s going to have to deal with that all on her own. You’ve got your own problems to sort out- mainly, these butterflies. And nobody needs to start talking about how butterflies are perfectly harmless. You know better. For instance, the way they all swirl towards the right makes your unsteady body want to lean, lean, lean to the right as well, following them on their endless spiral up from the ground to the sky, presumably to infinity and beyond. You can’t tell how high they go, but it’s much higher than you care to look.

You make it stop!” you insist back to her as she sort of freaks out, which in turn freaks you out. Tossing your head up, you throw your body into a dramatic half-rear (accentuated by the noise of your gravely whinny) and stumble backwards on unsteady limbs. On the mud, your horseshoes give you no extra traction. At this point, they’re very much like useless anchors on your feet. One step, two steps, three steps annndddd… plop. Your ass falls down into the mud, your front hooves landing on the ground almost in unison, leaving you dog-sitting on the ground. It’s a familiar position to you, so you’re not too upset- an unwelcome side effect of your drugs is a tendency to overreact. Still, you’d rather be high than sober any day.

Unfortunately, despite all the chaos, the butterflies are still present, their wings roaring as they continue their merry dance. Oh, and somebody else showed up too. You don’t really know who, since you can’t see them yet, but you hear their voice beyond the wall of butterflies, panicked, daring to venture towards this unwelcome meeting. You didn’t even want to be here.

Sighing dramatically, grumbling as the first mare shouts some more about making something stop, you finally give up and give in. If you’re going to be high, you’re damn well going to be high in peace. And if she’s not going to shut up when you tell her to, she’s going to shut up when you make her do so. STOMP. Your front hoof lifts and falls back to the earth, smashing into the mud, and you lower your neck as the ground begins to shake… shake… shake. Perfect. Much better.

Taking a deep breath, you sigh with happiness as the butterfly wall stops, leaving nothing but willow branches in their stead. “You should’ve just done that in the first place,” you hiss as the distraught woman, shaking your head and closing your eyes. All you wanted was some peace and quiet. At least now you might be able to get it.

OOC| Oxy used War Stomp: A single stomp of the hoof can lightly rattle the ground and throw an opponent off balance.
Oxy
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Oxy at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Unregistered

I felt my rump fall back through the wilted branches of the willow, the light touch of the sun gracing my haunches. It did not burn my flesh there. It was simply my face that seemed to melt from my flesh. Ever since the day I had been cursed with the burned flesh I had not been able to stand the light upon my scars. It was as if I was being lit again. My banner swished in confusion as I continued to back away from the beast and the sunlight that he brought with him.

The strands caught the pillars of whatever creature was behind me, but I was sure that whatever it was that was at my rear was not nearly as destructive as the beast that was in front of me. Again, he demanded that I make it stop, whatever 'it' was. I didn't know what to tell him. What was I doing to him? He was the one letting the light in, blinding me, burning me. I stepped farther into the darkness, and the last of the light rays were finally beyond my reach, the sensitive flesh across my face beginning to simmer, though no smell reached my nares other than the old memory of my charred being.

Some part of my mind, the part that was rational, the part that knew I was healed knew that the sun was not burning me over again, but the memory and pain was too great, and I refused to believe that I could be whole and be seen in the light without pain occurring. Even if that meant that others would believe me mad, hallucinating, or dangerous. Perhaps it was better that way.

There was a shake below my daggers, and I couldn't quite tell if it had been caused by the beast. I was aware that he had made contact with the ground, but could it really have been enough to cause me to sway back and forth. My pillars were unsteady for a moment, the way my cranium was still trying to right itself after tossing about in panic. I nearly fell down myself, but I managed to keep myself upright by digging my daggers into the ground. The world stopped spinning, the pain was subsiding and I could finally think straight.

Anger welled in me as the beast spoke again. "Done what?" I hissed at him in smoked tones, wishing that I could cause harm to this beast as I opened my orbs once more to face him. My one audit was aware there was another creature behind me, but I would deal with this brute first. "I didn't do a damned thing! You were the one that let the light in!" I scowled at him with both my brown orb and my clouded red one, seeing him clearly with one side and with a pale red hue overlay with the other. At least I was back in the shadows and I could be protected from the sun.

Deceased

Beyond the mass of seal-bay rump, there was the thrashing movement of another horse - the stallion whose voice had snapped through the tense air barely moments before. Though whipping willow obscured much of her view, the bewildered Africa could at least make out his graceless fall backwards and her eyes widened still further. Oxy? It was the idiot in the Threshold years ago, though straining to see she was sure; and ironically, he was the same titled soldier who had fronted up to a recent meeting back home in the Falls. At the time she had been distracted by their mutual Czar, the Ascended, but suddenly the puzzle pieces seemed to merge together.

Unexpectedly, a violent tremor shook the ground. The meek smile that had emerged for the sake of such surprise recognition soon fell clear into oblivion. She braced awkwardly as her body rocked and teetered clumsily above the swaying earth.

All the while, the other mare - the hind with still no face to remember, had become more; a lashing, swishing mass of ebony tendrils. The Starry-Eyed’s raised face danced from side to side, well clear of all moving flesh. The other began to sway too as the world unbalanced below them, and the part-feathered, lonely wing down to her right lifted in defence – her credulous gaze almost turned too, to search for Ampere who seemed to be a magnet for chaos just like this.

With Silas growing ever more agitated above (having slipped from his meal to find his beloved in peril), Africa wondered if perhaps she should have just stayed at home in mourning. Surely that would have given less grief!

The earth stilled after what seemed to be hours, and Africa peered cautiously around her before striding from out from cover – words were writhing between the billowy willow tree with all the potency of snakes coiled to strike. “What on earth was that!” the gentle note of her feminine voice filled a sudden void of silence, “...and Oxy, what are you carrying on about?” Eyes had narrowed intently and she pulled her still scrawny, underfed frame between them, to face head on the stallion with a fixed look of disgruntlement. She was sure it was him, and for that reason alone (they both hailed from the Falls which meant she was safe), she braced her shoulders boldly forward.

Image Credits

You’ve never really felt the need to be sexist but at this point, you feel like it’s entirely appropriate. Damn woman. Closing your eyes as the chaos all stops, you take a deep breath and try to settle your mind from its panic. It’s been so long since you’ve been high- really high, from your actual plants instead of your magic- that you might have over indulged a little. Truth be told, you don’t really mind, but it’s so much easier to be mentally incapacitated when you don’t have to deal with everyone else around. Only Snowflake understands. Only the woman you told that you love, that you told you would never leave, knows how to soothe your blackened soul when you are in a state as you are now. Only that beautiful white pegasus can break through your hardened exterior, find the good amongst the evil, and love you for who you are. She does not ask you to change, she does not demand that you act differently, she does not insist that you change your ways. She is only there as a friend, as a lover, as a companion. And so, as you sit there on the muddy ground with your eyes closed to the world, it is only she that you see in your mind.

Until somebody starts talking again.

Slowly dragging your eyes open, as though they are the heaviest thing you have ever tried to move, you look through hazy eyes at the scarred mare (though the scars are a detail that you can hardly notice right now). Done what? Do you really need to explain it to her? You consider calling her an imbecile for the moment, degrading her and then walking away from… well… wherever it is that you are, but she keeps hissing, keeps drawling, and you don’t even have time to get a word in before that ‘somebody else’ shows up. Do you recognize her? Vaguely, but you don’t know why and you don’t bother to try and figure it out. Your companion attempts to send you a few images, to jog your memory, but she has as much time invading your mind as you have seeing when you are so high. So, frustrated, she just flits about above your head, a nearly-invisible black wisp trying her hardest to break through the drugs.

At any rate, she interrupts your companion’s attempts at communication with her voice anyways, and you sigh dramatically. “That was me keeping my word,” you snap back, your voice kind of slow and slurred as you bob your head about. “I was tired of all the damn butterflies.” Well that’s a really thorough explanation, but apparently you’re not prepared to offer a better one, because you fall to silence, letting your eyelids droop closed again. Enough of all this noise. You’re just tired. “Which way to the Falls?” you ask them then in a calmer tone. You went to the beach, and it was nice and all, but now you think you just want to go home. Hopefully you can find Snowflake there… Maybe even without Thing 1 and 2.
Oxy

Unregistered

Oxy? That was the beast's name? I snorted slightly, seeing his large figure upon the ground. Well, apparently the other creature, mare by the vocals, knew who this one was. It seemed like whatever this 'Oxy' was doing, it was something fairly normal. I snorted softly. Normal, huh? To stumble and bumble and droop about as if in a sleeping state. I took notice then, of his bulging sack. What was in there? Was that what was causing him to act like... well, like some sort of crazy demon? An equine off his gourd. Granted, I suppose my reaction to the sun hadn't made me look much better. Perhaps I shouldn't be one to judge. However, I was still on my two pillars, which is more than I could say for the beast.

The mare came forward, a scrawny thing, dappled, lacking in one semi-feathered appendage. Apparently she was also on fire. How she could not be screaming in pain, I was not sure. Perhaps I was just imagining it. She didn't seem at all to take notice of the flames licking about her rump, her cranium. Perhaps I really had gone coo-coo. Perhaps this Helovia was a whole bundle of coconuts, of crazy pills. Perhaps I shouldn't have come here.

My anger was subsiding as the shadows cooled my scarred skin. Now, more than anything, I was curious. Curious as to what the hell I had gotten myself into. The beast, Oxy, started to say something about butterflies. Butterflies? What the hell did he mean by that? The willow branches? Is that what he thought? Was the brute a blind beast? When his orbs were open they seemed clear enough to me. Well, clear in the sense he was not physically blind. Psychologically speaking, well, I couldn't exactly say. He didn't seem quite like the stable sort. Then again, I wasn't exactly one to judge. He asked about the falls. I wasn't sure what he took me for, but I definitely wasn't native. Perhaps he was talking more to the mare in front of me.

Whom, I might add, I was still having a hard time processing. The whole mane and tail on fire without screams of agony thing. Given my experience with fire I was bewildered. On one leg, I was sure I was going crazy, since she didn't notice the burning flicks at all. It had to be all in my own head. I shook my tiara, giving a raspy chuckle. "Well," I spoke mostly to myself, not expecting either to pay attention. "This is one hell of a welcome to Helovia..."

I shifted on my pillars, banner swaying back and forth as I put my good side to observe the two before me, my brown orb twinkling with amusement. That was a feeling I hadn't had in years. Despite not having the most gracious of adventures to get to this moment I was... pleased. Again, I began to think that perhaps I had made the correct choice in going forth into this new realm.

Deceased

The stallion’s behaviour seemed erratic, unsettlingly so, and the Starry-Eyed could only offer a helplessly sympathetic glance towards the unfamiliar bay mare. What an unfortunate introduction to Helovia – for what other reason would there be for her to linger still beneath the draped arms of limber willow in the Threshold. She soon realised her accuracy, it was indeed Oxy, and his rambling had not for a second completed. Words tumbled from his lips and his thick head rocked as unsteadily as a lissom leaf, fondled by the breeze wafting by. Africa still had not the slightest clue as to what had occurred; she had waded so obliviously, right into the midst their indigent swamp with all of the courage her feeble heart could muster.

Butterflies?

Silas drew a similar blank – from his lofty perspective, naught but twirling green foliage and bumbling bodies was visible.

The stallion fell silent suddenly, abruptly, and creamy, confused eyes skimmed his lips for any sign of restraint. Nothing... Silas, is he insane? The zephyr began a hurried descent, concerned by the sequence of events unfolding, and still more by the pluming perplexity in her mind.

Gaze slipped from Oxy’s diluted attention; his eyelids had closed inconveniently, peculiarly, like they just had no more strength to bare the scene before them... Or because his interest had faded altogether – she was not sure. She turned to the mare who chuckling; tendrils of midnight-black writhing about her as she shook her head. The other certainly raised a fair point, and Africa nodded with a light grimness tainting her gentle expression. “This isn’t normal...” the one-winged insisted vaguely as the Legatus asked finally for directions. His tone was freakishly calm, as though a completely different pair of lungs had fuelled it.

“As in, Hidden Falls?” Soft voice questioned, unsure why he would not remember the way – just a hop skip and a jump to the north – himself. Is he serious? Dazed, she gestured towards the path that would see him home. “Follow that...”

Eyes glazed with disbelief, Africa turned at last back towards her – more rational – company. “Sorry, I am Africa, from Hidden Falls, like him.” A thoughtful smile teased the wrinkled corners of her sooty-grey mouth, and she dipped her face politely. “We are not all so...” Rude? Stoned? Half-witted? “...unhinged.” The grin broadened hopefully, and two neat rows of pearly off-whites glinted in the shifting, dappled sunlight. The curious posture of the other’s skull (the way it seemed to follow the shade), had not passed by the Starry-Eyed’s notice. She watched curiously and asked, “Would you be more comfortable in the shadows? There are many back home.”

Image Credits

With all the chaos more or less working itself off, you find your eyes slowly opening again. When they do, they fall upon the mane and tail of the gray mare. Fire dances in them, in much the same way that fire dances along the wings of your friend Gaucho. Still, there is something different about the way her flames twist and curl, dance and play, weaving in and out of her hair and into the hair. Something dances within the flames- the devil himself, perhaps. Images and stories, reminders of your past failures and failures to come. You see Colt kicking a rock at you, watching as it imbeds itself into the soft tissue of your skin. Your shoulder twinges appropriately, a reminder that the rock is still buried against your bone. You see Gaucho himself, attacking you with flame. You see the lands you used to live in, your father, the king’s uncle, and Kellian. It is Kellian that scares you most of all- her eyes of flame boring into your soul. She looks so much like Elsa, and yet the two are nothing alike. Subdued, reminded of a past you try to forget, you close your eyes again and flicker your ears back to standing as Menagerie speaks.

As it is, you don’t particularly care if this has been an excellent welcome for her or not, although her sentence does at least give you a clue where you are. The Threshold, perhaps, or somewhere near it. As for Africa… you actually don’t know that she’s a part of your herd until she says so. Just barely catching the direction she tosses her muzzle in, your blurry gaze catches sight of a well-trodden path from Threshold to home. Oh good, so north is that way. Easy enough- or it seemed easy enough until you caught sight of all the bear traps littering the forest floor on that path home. You’ll have to be extra careful not to step in one… Maybe the baboons sitting in the trees will help guide you. Whatever- the nonsense earns naught but a roll of your eyes. You’re not sure when the Threshold got baboons, but you guess it isn’t the worse sort of animal that could be living here.

Easing your body from sitting to standing (a brilliant work of art, in that you manage to do it without falling over), you are all but prepared to set off home without any sort of goodbye when the flaming mare tries to classify you. Unhinged. In as many ways as it is accurate, you don’t really want her to think she can get away with saying whatever the heck she wants about you. “I’m perfectly hinged,” you grump back at her curtly. “Though if you would like a lesson in unhinging, I’d be happy to give you one.” Cocking a hind foot out, you consider your variety of magics and which one would be the most interesting to assault her with. As a warning, of course. It is your companion who finally obliges, since she notices that your decision making skills are terribly poor at the moment. Picking up a near-by rock, she tosses it just hard enough at Africa to satisfy your need for chaos.

With a final snort, satisfied enough with the boggart’s actions, you set off down the indicated path, taking strange sideways steps and stopping frequently to look up and watch the baboons as they point at traps and tricks along the path. Perhaps to the two behind you, you look perfectly insane; nevertheless, you are right at home in your head.

OOC| Sorry for the delay, Oxy out ^.^
Oxy

Unregistered

Africa. It was such a pretty name. It made me wonder if the name had come before or after her scars and flames. She paused for a word as she tried to excuse her herd mate. I gave a soft snort. Unhinged was certainly quite the word for it if I could ever have picked one for the situation. The brute, Oxy, seemed to have had enough of the encounter as he slowly pulled himself to his feet, grumbling something about showing the mare what unhinged could be.

I didn't quite take him seriously, with the way he stood poised with his hind pillar ready to shake the ground should he put weight behind it. He seemed too dazed and lazy to really do anything about the situation. My orb went back to the dappled figure of Africa as she offered to bring me to a place of shadow. My single audit perked. She was inviting me to her home. I was so stunned by the offer that I hardly noticed the rock that flew by out of nowhere. Had Oxy done that? I didn't quite pay attention to it, as I only really tracked it out of the peripheral of my good eye, my attentions on Africa.

I was caught in disbelief. Had she really offered me such a thing as the comfort of her home? It had been so long since I had felt as if I had been accepted. Or perhaps she was leading me back to her herd to be eaten. After all, if this brute, Oxy, was a part of her herd, it might not be such a far fetched idea. I looked her over slowly with my good eye, tentatively taking a step towards the mare, and with it, the light that she brought with her. Oh, how could I forget, the fire that she brought with her. "What about that fire you carry with you?" My gruff and smoked tones were cautious. If there was any indication of my dislike for hot things, that would have been it.

I shook my tiara and she would be able to see glimpses of my scarred visage, puckered pink and red skin that grew no hair. A blind eye made to look like a clouded sunset met her head on. I let her see me, watching carefully for her reaction to my appearance. Aside from my face, I suppose I looked well off enough, but no one could ever get past my burns, my croaking tones that came with it. I snorted. "Does it cause harm? Because if so, I think I'll have to keep to a safe distance. If you'd understand, that is."

I suppose that was me taking up this mare on her offer, despite my cautions. I shifted slightly on my pillars. The ache in my belly for a home gnawed at me with satisfaction.

Deceased
The stallion was less than done with the encounter. Even as it seemed like he was about to set off away, he paused to argue his sanity, and Africa’s breath choked disappointedly in her throat. Despite his objection, and a snappishly offered lesson, the dappled mare held her ground carefully with her tongue wedged firmly between her teeth – there just seemed no point in quarrelling with a mad man. She offered a small smile riddled with resignation instead, and began to turn back to her female companion again; though the small shift of his weight attracted the notice of one ear alone and it turned cautiously to heed further the rambling Legatus.

Mottled skin flinched suddenly, struck by assailing debris, and light-golden eyes glowered heavily at Oxy as he snorted, and at last turned to leave. Silas watched on with thinning tolerance from above, all too ready to descend upon his beloved’s aggressor at even the tiniest of signals. There was no need to harry him though, and both thought it best to let him wander off in peace (awkwardly though he went) – Praise the Sun...

Disbanding all ridged stance, Africa turned fully towards the other mare and sighed profoundly. There was no denying her relief; her entire posture seemed to soften all at once. For a moment she was taken aback by the intensity of the bay’s focus – the unnerving features part hidden beneath thick ebony forelock. The scarring was extensive and the longer she stared (trying of course, to examine inconspicuously), the more squeamish she felt. It appeared to reach well down the right portion of her heavy skull and the thick padding of hair barely concealed its existence.

Awkwardly she glanced away and found beyond the other’s burly shoulder a swaying branch to focus on. Stern voice swept back her attention quickly and she offered something of a humble smile. “Another of many scars.” The gentle-hearted Pegasus spoke softly, reassuringly, and snaked her elegant neck through the air to demonstrate the harmlessness of the flames. “There’s no heat, no reason to be afraid. Those who touch me suffer no effect at all.” If it were any other, she might then have craned forward to allow touch and exploration; but she withheld properly on this occasion.

As the other’s head shook, the extent of the scarring became all too apparent and though Africa held similar upon her own body (sleek pink, raw, wingless shoulder), she felt both dismayed and humbled for the sake of familiar suffering.

“What's your name?” the Starry-Eyed asked softly, turning towards the path that Oxy had more or less followed. “Have you any wounds to be healed?” She paused to let her eyes sweep contentiously one final time around the thick draft body, and then long, lean legs began the short trip that would see them home safely (and not too rapidly should they fall again upon the radical stallion ahead).

Image | Table by Silk

Unregistered

I could tell by the way that the mare looked at me that she did not like what she saw. Clearly she was taken aback, and she struggled not to appear blunt for her staring. It was something I was unfortunately used to these days. At least, when I bothered to allow myself to be come across. She settled herself, and I could see with my one good eye that she was focusing just beyond me. She was making an effort, and that was heartwarming to me. She was frightened, unnerved, but she was at least trying to be polite. That was something that I hadn't had the pleasure of in so long. She certainly was a change from the previous brute, whatever his issue had been.

Africa began to describe to me that her fire contained no heat, that it caused no harm whatsoever. What a strange thing to be cursed with. Perhaps her fire was just as off putting as my scars. I let out a soft snort at the thought. Once warmed in the knowledge that her flame could do nothing, I suppose others would welcome her firmly. I hardly noticed her missing flying digit. It might as well have been tucked against her belly for all I could tell. It was something small to miss. She seemed to be cautious with her embers even so. I was grateful for that as well, for her understanding of my need to keep my distance from that which haunted my deepest and most frightful nightmares. Still, the way it danced among her locks was strange to me, and almost calming, save for the part of me that still demanded that the flames have heat and rage.

She asked after my name and if I had a need to be healed. I gave a chuckle, following her very slowly from the safety of the willow tree. "No, no injury that could be healed. This face of mine has been well done with that for years now." I followed her to the side, keeping my good side to her, not only so I could watch her, but so that she may perhaps settle her stomach more to carry on conversation with me. "My name is Menagerie, but you may call me Minnie if you find it easier for yourself, miss Africa of Hidden Falls." I let my pillars guide me slowly across the lush forest floor, tossing my cranium momentarily so that I could shield the worst of my scars from the sun with my ebony locks.

"What exactly is this place? I've heard rumors of this Helovia, that it's unlike any other place. I've been told that it is a place where there is enough for everyone, that war doesn't exist, and that nothing is known but peace." I gave a raspy chuckle. "I'm not quite sure if I believe it." Did I? I suppose I wanted to believe such things, that it would be the new beginning that I had been begging for in my deepest of sleep. After this introduction, I wasn't quite sure. That Oxy beast had put me on a bit of an edge. There was something not right with him, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue to have encounters with him. I let those thoughts drift, though, my one audit perking and waiting for the response of the mare Africa.