the Rift

[OPEN] The Stars That Blind Us

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

And so here we are, back at the beginning.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. The dove's walk is stiff and pained, and she bites it back with every step. She had never had to run on rocks quite that jagged before, but she hadn't had any other choice. To fly would be to risk death. No doubt they would have been watching for her, brilliant and white, rising into the clouds, imagining herself safely home - and then they would have come for her. It would have been more than one of them, the second time, for they would not have taken well to her outsmarting the first. And she had outsmarted him - here, too, she hadn't had any other choice. He was a huge stallion, taller than she and bulkier, too. She might have been able to outmaneuver him in a fight, but with one blow he could have broken her.

He tried, of course, but luckily they had wanted her alive. There were several times that she thought he might try to overpower her, to force her to submit to his will. And if she were still the frightened filly of her youth, she probably would have. She would have cowered at his hooves, offered herself to him any way he wanted to avoid the threatened punishments. But she was older now, and wiser, and braver, too, though she wasn't really sure how that had happened. They wanted her alive, and he would not harm her - at least, not seriously. She could withstand a few kicks and bites, but she would never forgive herself for giving in to his desires.

He had drugged her somehow, though she couldn't remember it. Perhaps he had mixed something strange in with the grass where she grazed, having left the Dragon's Throat on Academy business; in any case, she awoke to him looming over her. For days, she plotted her escape, taming her furious bonded with soothing thoughts and promises of revenge. Finally, she managed to find her own herbs, and she managed to trick him into eating them. When he fell into a deep sleep, she ran, hard and fast. That was how she had bruised her soles; the rocks had been large and jagged, but she knew that she needed to put distance between herself and her captor.

The thought of her family keeps her moving. She has been away for almost two months now - a full season, and all because she hadn't been smart enough to take someone with her when she left the Throat last. She ought to have known better. She did know better, which makes it all the worse in retrospect. How could she have been so stupid? But she had assumed that threats to her safety would come from within Helovia - she never imagined that the brutes from her homeland would come for her one day, looking for a Queen to solidify their rule. And who better than the escaped daughter of the king they slaughtered?

Astraeus flies above, circling worriedly in the sky above her. Her captor badly bruised her right wing with one of his kicks; aside from her fear of being seen, she had been afraid to injure it further. Even now, it aches dully, though she wonders if she hasn't simply gotten used to the pain. Her pelt, once so pristine, is dotted here and there with wounds - the clear imprints of half-healed bites and kicks. She needs healing desperately, but she cannot stop - no, she must return home, must see her family. They need her. She needs them.

@[Rasta]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I'm dead in the water, still looking for ya'

I had been getting into the habit of alerting Alleo where I was going before I left. It was… almost calming. Still, I knew that I had to get used to the environment of Helovia if I wanted to be as comfortable as I possibly could in these lands. So I moved towards the meadow, doing my usual memorization drill.

I moved around back and forth across the meadow until I reached a different section that I did not recognize. And, then I also felt someone else in the field with me. A mare with wings so similar to Sohalia. I pause, head jerking in the direction of her body before I send out vibrations with my earthquake magic. Yes. It was definitely Sohalia.

I panic, my limbs thrusting me forward faster than was necessary. "Sohalia!" my voice fills the meadow. It was panicked, concerned, grateful, and uncertain but I knew that she was back and I knew I had to be there.

It was only when I came in closer that I noticed the extent of the injuries. The cuts, the way that she was holding her wing. The way that she was moving, it was as if she was lame… on all four of her limbs? Was she lame on all four limbs?! "Sohalia! What has happened to you? Oh, dear. Dear we need to get you to a healer." I slammed on the breaks a couple feet away before going to press my maw up against her shoulder, concern etched through my features as Ettore clicked and bounced a little in my nest of hair. It was as if he wanted to know who this was, but he was definitely radiating the same concern that I was through the bond.

Oh, but she's back. Sohalia was back! I had found her. Now the next job… get her to a healer.

Image Creds | Coding by Schwartze

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Sohalia

"Sohalia!"

The voice that falls first upon her ears is not that which she would have chosen, but it is welcome nonetheless. The iridescent mare trudges on, though her auds pricked toward the sound of perhaps her closest living friend. They had all fallen, one by one - and, but for the gods' protection, she might have been the next. Rowan, Phaedra - both dead, forever removed from her life and love, the holes left in her heart never to heal. But Rasta - Rasta is here, alive and well, saving her from her fear and pain and anger. Saving her before she would even admit she needed saving, before she knows that she needs the proffered assistance.

She is feverish, and as the palomino nears, the Transcended blinks to clear extra Rastas from her vision. Her breathing is labored, her sides heaving as she leans into the Mason's touch. Astraeus falls from the sky to land on Rasta's withers, crooning his pleasure before crying his worry, not staying in any one place for long as he hops along the equine's back. Help her, he seems to beg, for he knows as well as his bonded that Sohalia will no longer help herself. Not while her family needs her.

"Rasta," she croaks, fondness in the voice that she hasn't used in far too long. "No healer. Take me - take me home, please." She tries to step away, to go forward, to press on with her journey, but her knee buckles and she finds herself falling against the small frame of her friend. "They must - they must know I'm alright." They must know I haven't left them. I promised. "I - I promised Gaucho - I promised -" She cried out unintelligibly as one of her soles hit a particularly large pebble, tears welling to spill uncontrollably from her bi-colored eyes. "H-help me. Take me to them, please."

@[Rasta]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Labored breathing was coming from Sohalia. It was sickenig how fast she seemed to be deteriorating, and it only caused me to press in even closer to my winged friend. Warm, so warm to the touch. It was not comforting, it was concerning. Astraeus lands upon my withers, jolting me at first, though I manage to keep myself from completely panicking and throwing him off. It is all I can do to stay still as he bounces along my back and so I carefully twist my neck to try and press it against him in a comforting manner as Ettore bounces around. Then, he seems to continue bouncing, wanting to join Sohalia's companion as he went along my back.

Gently, I allow him to take place atop my maw before carefully depositing him upon my haunches. Ettore bouncing and chirping happily to try and distract and comfort Astraeus. But it is Sohalia who speaks now, croaking out my name and trying to avoid the healer. She tries to step away only to have her knees buckle and fall against my frame. "Shhh. Shh. Soh it's okay." There is a pause as I take in a deep breath, Sohalia talking about how they had to know she hadn't left and how she'd promised. "Soh, They've been fine - they're okay. They're concerned, but it will hurt them more seeing you like this. You can't even wa-" I'm cut off as she cries out, wincing as I press my frame against hers to try and keep her from completely collapsing once more. She wants to be taken to them, but I can't. There is no way that the two of us can make it all the way to the Throat. I'm not strong enough yet - not after going through something so similar not too long ago. "They've waited, and I'm not strong enough to drag you down to the Throat. They can wait a little longer - if they really care they will wait. Sohalia, you need a healer, and the easiest one for us to access is in the Falls. Come back to the Falls and see Africa and Midas, Africa will heal you, and Midas will no doubt allow you to stay and rest for a little bit." My maw stretches down, trying to press against her cheek, and it is then that I feel her tears. "Oh, sweetie. Please don't cry. We can have Midas send Fina, or I can go down with Alleo to tell Gaucho. But the only home I'm bringing you to is mine. And you are in no condition to fight me on this," I said, a sterner tone to my voice in the end.

Soh needed a healer, and deep down I knew that she understood that. So, Ettore continued his bouncing and clicking, trying so hard to calm down Astraeus while I did all that I could to bring Soh with me back to the Falls.

Sohalia

Ettore's presence calms Astraeus, at least. The thunder-bird halts in his pacing, the showers of sparks falling from his frame harmless to the palomino mare. He bows his head to the younger companion, conferring as winged creatures will, speech composed of soft croons and seemingly nonsensical chirps. His concern is evident, if not the content of his mutterings.

The angel, on the other hand, grows more frenzied and panicked as the moments tick by. It is not enough that she should have come so far and gotten so close only to be held from her goal by her dearest friend. It isn't fair. She's made her way home, or tried to - but no, that's not true, is it? She isn't going to make it home - and why should she? Is it even her home? Won't they have written her off as dead or traitor or lost? Gaucho won't have waited for her - it's hardly in his nature, and it isn't like they ever truly defined their relationship. At least not in the exclusive sense.

"No -" she half-chokes, half-sobs - leaning more heavily on Rasta lest she lose her feet completely and fall, helpless, to the ground. If she falls now, will she ever find the strength to rise again? The delirium of pain and exhaustion is creeping ever closer to the forefront of her mind, held at bay thus far by adrenaline and a primal need to return home. "I - I have to get to them, Rasta. I - please - help -" She pauses, shaking and shuddering against the palomino's frame. A moment of clarity: "I won't - I won't make it to the Falls." Her bi-colored gaze searched feverishly for Rasta's. "Help."

@[Rasta]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

It was Ettore who moved first, I could only brace my legs in order to keep Sohalia up and upon her feet. But he moved, trying to press up against Astraeus' breast and cling to the warmth while offering support for one that he was considering a brother. He had to be a brother, right? After all, wasn't Sohalia a sister? The strength of the concern that radiated through our bond was something that he could only connect with family.

But, Sohalia. She wasn't calming down and it was making me worry even more. She's choking, sobbing, pleading, and leaning on me even more. It's my panicked mind that searches, having learned just recently that I could move plants to my own whim. A tree was close by… which would mean roots. Cautiously, I called on them, lengthening them and pulling them up and out of the ground. "Don't fret, Sohalia. Use the roots to support you," I warned, before they finally formed crutches to rest just under her wing joints and wrap under her barrel - to give her something to fall against and rest for a few moments before we figured out just how we were going to walk anywhere.

She pleaded, saying that she had to get to those in the Throat. My ears pin back slightly as she shakes and shudders before saying that she couldn't make it to the Falls. My blind gaze rests on the mare's forehead - unable to focus on her actual gaze as she pleads for help. "Sohalia, if you can't make it to the Falls then you definitely cannot make it to the Throat. Even if it's closer, which I doubt, the heat will cause you to become dehydrated and could make it so much worse." I pause, gently pressing my maw against her neck, caressing it and burying my face in her hair for a few moments to collect what little thought I had left while keeping the stilts up so she didn't fall. "Send Astraeus to the Falls for Africa, she's an Earth Medic and she can heal you. We will slowly work our way in that direction and we can meet in the middle. Then we will figure out how to get you to the Throat." My voice breaks as I pull my head out from her clumps of mane. "Please, Sohalia. I can't lose you… I need you as much as you need them. You're like a sister to me, you're family. Just let me help you by going back to the Falls and getting you healed. Soh, we'll get you to them, I promise. But you won't make it there, and I won't make it there with you leaning on me. I'm still weak from my own run in. The Falls is the best option I have… the best option you have..."

The only question now was, would Soh accept the only thing Rasta could offer? Would Soh allow her to help her back to the Falls to heal?

Sohalia

The thunder-bird perched on Rasta's back continued to fret despite the attempted reassurances of the hawk. It was strange that he should feel such a strong kinship with one he had only just met, but his adoration of Rasta paralleled his bonded's - so would it not make sense for him to also care for the young companion? It was not, perhaps, his own emotion, but rather another way for he angel's feelings to run through him, tying them ever closer and deeper within one another. At times, he is convinced that he is the only one who truly understands the dove, for only he can reside in her mind as much as she; only he can feel the depths of her worries, the strength of her loyalties, the truth of her love. Others can only guess, no matter how much she tells them - but he lives it.

That makes this all the worse for the zephyr, poised precariously in a constant state of concern. He would spring into the air in a heartbeat if she would only give the order, though a large part of him balks at the thought of leaving her alone. Especially now. But she is incoherent, so much so that his mind-speech cannot penetrate the fevered panic that has risen in the Transcended. He can do her no good here, can do nothing to fix her. Only a healer can do that, though she has thus refused his offers to try and find one. Of course, he probably wouldn't have done any good. No one would have been able to understand him. But he would have tried.

The angel sags against the roots that have risen to shield her from an impromptu tumble to the ground. Somewhere in her mind she recognizes that she has been beaten, that she must give in to Rasta's good sense in order to make it home. It will take longer - too much longer, she is sure - but is this how she wants her children to see her, after several months' separation? Is this the shape she wants to be in when she sees Gaucho again? No - no, far better to heal, to tend her wounds and take pride in her appearance again. She is still lovely, the crystalline dove, but it is haunting and ghastly now, an eerie, broken kind of beauty that repels more than it attracts.

"Go," she breathes, more mind-speech than actual verbalization; Astraeus launches himself from Rasta's withers into the air, sparking more than ever now as he becomes a beacon to light the way back to his injured bonded. The mare, on the other hand, falls silent, grateful for the roots holding her up, hating her weakness, waiting for assistance.

@[Rasta], @[Africa]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Silas gouged his ruthless, hooked beak into the soft, scarlet flesh of the young spruce cone. Birdsong’s finest fruits were slowly withering out of existence, but occasionally he discovered a bounty nestled below dense foliage or hidden in the topmost branches, all ripe for the taking. Perhaps he ate more voraciously than he might have ordinarily. The burning intensity of the sun this day was overbearing for the day-lovers – Africa had been dozing beneath the cover of shade for nearly an hour – so for the Roc zephyr, nocturnal by nature and glittered in starlight, the stress was building quickly.

He often camped out in the lush, pointed canopy of the conifers; they offered a brilliant vantage point, especially from the tallest amongst them in the forest.

A sparking flash of movement high in the air towards the south caught his sharp eye, as he devoured the last of the tasty cone – it was not the steady sail of an eagle, nor the rapid flutter of a hunting hawk, and anything smaller had no reason to be travelling so far above the canopy. Slowly he turned his head, and suspicion glinted behind his fastidious gaze. Silas knew well who belonged in the valley of the Falls, and who in turn did not... The glossy black plumage fared across his breast and the subtle purple sheen shining as the passing breeze stroked them; a wary rumble resonated underneath.

With a thud the core of the fruit fell to the forest floor, and the Starry-Eyed jumped with surprise. Bleary, sandy gaze lifted towards the sentry above, but cleared hurriedly when they noticed his rigid posture. What is it? she asked, blood pumping trepidation through her core, and her bonded offered vision of another zephyr (that was neither Fina or Neve), hastening over the cliffs towards them. Astraeus? she part whispered, when Silas blinked at last and the barky wood surrounding materialised once more. Is it Sohalia’s companion?

Silas had seen the young Wakiya a number of times before they had left Dragon’s Throat – before the Transcended had embarked on her venture to spread word about the Academy (or so Africa had assumed after many weeks spent in the Sultana’s absence). He turned, razor-like talons grasping at the supple, jade foliage, to view the approaching avian. Ye... he answered in thought, and unfurled his glimmering ebony wingspan. He took off to intercept, but as they neared, there was an unmistakable urgency riddled through the other zephyr’s body-language and it made him take heed.

Follow him...

Africa focused all of her energy into transforming, channelling magic before emerging quickly as a parrot – shape shifting had become less taxing over time, and the pain she had more or less learned to bear. Though her body was far stockier than either of their sleek, aerodynamic frames, the one-winged knew that it was easily the faster mode of travel. Minutes later, both the parrot and her bonded were winging south above the Threshold.

Golden eyes saw the pale pair long before she arrived in person. Though worry engulfed her instantly, naturally (either beloved Rasta or her sand-sister were ill), her brittle mind lurched with apprehension – the Starry-Eyed had managed thus far to avoid all contact with the Sun’s herd (except of course Satanic Silk, whom she did not doubt had betrayed her whereabouts). Tiny lungs gulped a breath, and together she and Silas began to descend towards the Meadow.

To spare her sisters the gruesome reality of her ability, Africa landed a small distance away. Bones warped and duplicated; twisted and snapped, until she had resumed the figure of a bleak-hued, one-winged mare, and boldly she set aside her reservations to find out what was the matter. Long legs bounded towards them and a canter, and as she pulled up, the gravity of the Transcended’s health struck her. This grim scene seemed to be a reoccurring thing of late, and she couldn’t help but wonder, as she began to pray and to hum wordlessly, whether the murderer mentioned by Midas was to blame.

She called to the Earth through the delicate hymn, inviting tiny sprouts to rise from their tender bed. Thick lashes seeled gently around her troubled eyes; comforted by the presence of the blind palomino, and she closed her mind to all but the task before her. A dozen or more mud wielding vines began to twist to life, growing longer and longer as they homed in on the wounded mare’s legs. Their supple length coiled upwards around each weary limb, and tiny tendrils emerged to caress the skin wherever it had been damaged; every bruise and bite was covered by the mesh of pulsing, warm plant. They continued gradually, leaning never on her battered body for support, but holding their own weight quite in spite of gravity’s pull; propping up the body as it healed beneath.

They slowed when at last the bruised right wing had been soothed. Africa’s serene song too softened, and as the vines recoiled, shrinking quickly back beneath their father’s shell, the dapple grey mare’s eyes opened again quietly. Exhaustion plagued them (like Midas had warned), and she swayed wearily above the vanishing magic. “Soh...” she whispered vaguely, knees trembling as her body’s mass seemed suddenly to double above them, “...I’m so sorry I left you all.”

Image Credits

Tagged: @[Rasta], @[Sohalia] – Brown doesn’t suit herrrr! Welcome back Rayo <3

Ettore was far from pleased when the other avian disappeared. He had wanted to be around those with wings for so long that he could truly understand what it was like to have others around that could fly. Still, I was glad that Astraeus was leaving, going to get Africa so that way Sohalia could heal.

She was falling into the roots, and it was taking so much concentration to keep them up that all I could offer my sweet, sweet sister was murmurs of sweet nothings in an attempt to keep her calm and as comfortable as I could until Africa came.

When she came she stopped off a little distance away before she finally came over. There were no words, not yet at least, just the movement of vines to heal Sohalia. Ettore bouncing and wanting to take to the ground now as I felt Africa sway in place. The roots that were once under Sohalia were now snaking to support Africa. It was going to be a long journey back to the Falls at this rate. "We should get back to the Falls, we can all rest there" I said, head tilting in concern for each of the mares that I was with.

Oh, but we were all falling apart. I knew vaguely, of Africa's parrot form, though not of how she managed to get there. But, if she was in that form then I could easily carry her back. We could all go home. "I can carry you, if you are a parrot, Africa… And Soh, you can still lean on me as necessary…" There was a pause, blind and unfocused gaze shifting between each of them and hoped that they would agree. "We can talk back there, rest in a cell, and I can help fill it with grass so its soft and comfortable. We will rest and talk and fill each other in. We will heal."

Yes. I was adamant that we would heal. I would accept nothing less. They needed to come back to the Falls, they needed to rest, and I wouldn't stop pestering them until they did.

Sohalia

The ivory dove never lost consciousness, not truly - but her mind drifted, falling away from reality with an ease that she had never known before. What would happen if she merely closed her eyes, lost herself in the dark bliss of never-ending sleep? Would she be missed by those she cherished, or would she simply fade into oblivion as had so many souls before her? She had walked the spirit world, had seen the life to be had after death. She was not afraid. That between life and death was a fine line to walk, and she had done it now more times than she could count. What if it was time to lay down her arms and go peacefully? She could join her Diniel, who had never had the chance to live; could seek out Rowan, who had loved her so dearly despite her own unbearable pain; could trade stories with Phaedra, who, though flamboyantly beautiful, had always been a true and honest friend to her.

Bi-colored eyes cracked open. Rasta's worried features came briefly into focus; her eyes closed again. Another slow, dazed blink showed her Africa's arrival, and she tried to smile - she didn't know if she had succeeded, but they always said that it was the thought that mattered, didn't they? Who "they" was had never seemed to matter; but now she wondered. Who were "they" and why did they have the right to instruct the masses on propriety? How were they any better equipped than the rest of the poor souls trapped in this world, tied to a miserable ride of constant pain and suffering. It always seemed that the mortals couldn't win for losing. Did the gods fare better? Or were they just as wrapped up in the arms of fate as the rest?

The dove was dimly aware of her pain fading, slowly at first, like the temporary relief of a dog licking its wounds; and then it began to receded in a cascade, muscles mending, tendons being soothed, flesh closing. A sharp intake of breath reminded her that she was, indeed, still alive, and ought to act like it - and so her eyes opened, this time permanently, and she tenderly rested weight on each of her sore hooves. The plants holding her up retracted, rushing to the aid of the grey pegasus who had healed her without thought, reacting to a situation that she did not know purely due to the need of her previous Sultana.

She stretched her wings, reveling in the sensation. It had been some time since she had been able to do so without fear of injuring herself further. Her mouth opened to thank her wing-sister, but she was interrupted: Africa was apologizing, and for what? For leaving? Did she really think that the Transcended would hold such a grudge? She stepped forward carefully, still expecting every step to be met with the bite of rocks on her soles, reaching to touch her nose to the Medic's. "Hush," she murmured softly. "Sometimes our paths take us away. It is nothing to apologize for. I hope you have found happiness, my friend. Thank you for helping me - I would have been lost without you and Rasta." She paused, offering a gentle, if tired, smile to the palomino.

"Come," she requested, trying not to show her resignation at the fact that she could not leave her friends to fly to her family. She owed them now. "Let us get you home. It will be slow going, no doubt, but we will get there in due time."

@[Africa]

[OOC | We can continue this in HF?]

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

The weary, soft tones of the palest dove rose like a feather pillow around her, rousing each ear forward to listen, but lulling her all the same towards the sweet embrace of sleep. It was a voice that had been missed terribly, a friend with whom to share the trivial pressures of a role so ill-suited. In truth, the one-winged mare had not realised the other Sultana’s departure from the throne, and as her mind idled between consciousnesses, she wondered how such damage could be done to a Dragon Queen. Sohalia caressed her with a touch warmer than the sunlight tumbling down around them and a silly, drunken smile slipped across her lips.

The blind mare’s words infiltrated hazy dreams, and at mention of her avian form she sighed – there was neither the focus nor energy to perform such a feat now. “Oh, fine sisters... I am!” she insisted, tongue lolling about foolishly in vain attempt to point out her wellbeing. It was no lie though, and thick, dark lashes danced apart to flash something like reassurance by each mare. “Carry on... Just want to rest a time.” Briefly she struggled pathetically to be free of the shackles binding her to the air (the roots which had so concernedly been given), and finally knees buckled wearily as the weight of exhaustion grew too much.

Silas, who had been circling watchfully above, began a steep decent towards his beloved and a shrill cry heralded his arrival. Delicate talons sought grip upon her bony fallen barrel, and a wary eye was cast about the group gathered. He had plucked enough of the group’s intention from the mind of his bonded before she had faded, and considerately he fastened his claws into Africa’s mottled skin. With a start she came too, and his thoughts immediately descended; wake now...

Ashen face lifted promptly from the soft bed of long grass – eyes wide and freakishly alert, despite the watery glaze of weariness across them. Parrot. the zephyr told her sternly, determined to have her cooperate without further ado. The mare was too tired to question motives or argue, and still curled upon the ground centred her concentration. From deep within she summoned the magic that would begin the shift. Minutes later, completely succumbed to exhaustion, the avian had lifted her light feathered frame to rest upon the back of the palomino as directed.

Image Credits