the Rift

[Murdock | Seasonal] Into orbit

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Archibald and Loretta moved away from Circe, with Archibald reassuring her that they would return, that they needed to first meet and practice with a herdmate for the season. The Dauntless knew his mate would understand his dedication to duty, but the sadness he saw in her eyes would never leave his mind's eye. He needed to finish this spar as soon as he could so that he could find the side of his mate once more and bask in her warmth. Together they had conceived another child, and to the core of Archibald's bones he hoped that the progeny would be female. After the devestation of losing their dear Callisto, and having two raging sons of hell, the pair needed some beauty to brighten their days. However, if the child was male, Archibald knew neither him nor his wife would love the being any less. Their children were dear and precious to them--even their wild boys who left as soon as they no longer needed their mother's teet.

Now, Archibald and Loretta stood in the middle of the large sand arena. The place smelled heavily of sweat, blood, and the sand beneath his hooves. Archibald knew this was a place of practice and battle, and so he would today invite his herdmate to join him here and lock in the dance of a spar. Archibald knew of this Murdock, although it was little. The warrior had been under Archibald's battle command for several years now, with some pause in between. The pegasus was a member of the Grey and served loyally in Archibald's mercenary ranks. However, the Dauntless had never spoken directly to Murdock (aside from commands) and never got the chance to build a bond with the stallion, unlike Ktulu, Lakota, Ophelia or Apollo. He wondered if after this spar if the relationship between him and this stallion would be different, but Archibald was not interested enough in conversation to make it happen too soon. He was more of the type to let the others come to him, as he had with those he held so close to his heart.

The sun was high in the sky before Archibald rang out his call for the stallion. "Murdock!" His bellow was deep and loud, bursting into the afternoon air with ease and power. His tone, however, did not hold any emotion. Simply, the massive beast was calling his warrior forth. Golden eyes cast down to his bonded, then, locking hard on her amber gaze. If you participate, it will be under Murdock's choice. Should he decline, you leave. I will not repeat our spar against Cheveyo. Archibald snorted some, tapping the smooth sand with his left forehoof. Loretta's ears lowered as she was scolded, but she remained silent. A growing frustration stemmed in her chest, and she looked harshly away from her commander.

Beneath their hooves and paws, the grounding was solid. The sand would provide a good foothold, but slipping and slower movements were sure to happen, Archibald predicted. He had experience battling on the beach, in sand, against Destrier, and he remembered how difficult it was for his hulking frame to launch off the sand versus hard-packed earth. The sun was high and shone down on his black back, though it was not too hot of a day to create sweat build-up in Archibald's crevices without heavy exursion.

[WC: 561 | PC: 0/3 | Setting: On the Sky Island, in the sand arena. Midday, bright sun and mild temperature. Small breeze and very few clouds in the sky. | Please have a timely reply, because this spar needs to be completed by the end of Birdsong, which is January 31. Murdock may attack first! P.S--it is up to you whether there is magic and companions, I don't care either way, just have Murdock specify. @[Murdock] ]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Murdock Posts: 198
Outcast atk: 9 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.2hh :: 8 HP: 61.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Gaz

A strong north wind carried Murdock southbound, gliding smoothly over lands blossoming with renewed life. There was warmth in the air, though it was less the higher you climbed, but the midday sun was warm upon his dark back unshadowed by his steady wings. His path took him toward the floating island, suspended above the ground as if held aloft by invisible string. Rather thick, strong string at that. It was not until he heard his name called by a deep and vaguely familiar voice that he began his descent, curiosity drawing him in a gentle spiral toward the pit of sand where two figures waited.

He carried speed into his approach, settling a few feet above the ground as he lifted his front end away from the earth. He floated smoothly down until his rear hooves dug into the sand, skidding along until he slowed to a halt before the draft who he recognized as his superior. He dipped his head to the Captain, stepping forward away from the deep scars left in the sand until he had to lift his chin to meet the much taller stallion’s gaze. He was accompanied by a dog, undoubtedly his companion, and Murdock eyed her with concealed unease. He had a history of bad experiences with canine companions, and though he knew they were meeting for a friendly training spar, her presence unsettled him nonetheless.

He met Archibald’s gaze again, a lopsided smile accompanying his words. “I feel the odds are already against me,” he hesitated, eyeing the Shire’s solid build, “so let’s just make this between the two of us…” He had a better chance of not making a fool of himself if the playing field was free of fancy extras, at least for now. Besides, Murdock’s only magical ability could not be used for offence and as such was entirely useless to him on the battleground. Though it had been long since he had practiced, too long in fact, one could never completely forget the dance of combat and he had confidence that his gift of flight would keep him out from the beneath the massive hoof of his commander.

“Try to leave me in one piece,” he teased, casual steps bringing him closer to Archibald, his path guiding him toward the stallion’s right side. His strength is of little value to him now. To launch his weight at this behemoth would be to toss a stone at a mountain. However, though this mountain had four fine legs, they would not be so quick to carry him around. Speed and agility were on Murdock’s side, and though they might be his only allies, victory was not so critical now; even if he lost to his Captain, he would walk out of this arena alive.

Without another second’s hesitation, he launched himself forward, rear hooves slipping in the sand and leaving deep gauges in his wake. He reached out with teeth bared for the sensitive skin by Archibald’s right elbow, wings held tightly against his body. Eager to put distance between himself and the Captain before he had a chance to retaliate, Murdock spread his wings and bounded off across the arena, departing in a hopefully distracting flurry of pale feathers. He remained on the ground, however, spinning about to face Archibald and gauge his options before resorting to the safety of the sky. Adrenaline had begun to flood through his body now, electrifying his nerves and reminding him exactly why he loved this game so much.

"talk talk talk talk "

[WC: 586
Attack: 1/3
Summary: Murdock launches himself toward Archibald's right side, reaching out to attempt to bite the sensitive skin at his right elbow. Quickly putting distance between himself and Archi, he bounds away a few paces before turning to face the Captain again.]

NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY
I'll always belong in the sky

lydiardwildlife | joannastar-stock | mwilliams-stock
x

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Murdock approached, followed by no pomp and circumstance. Archibald had pegged this man to be a humble warrior, well-trained in his time, and loyal. It seemed his solidarity was correct, for the stallion did not throw himself around before Archibald in an attempt to show strength, power, or dominance. The brute's golden eyes narrowed some on the stallion, his stoney features hard set as the winged man spoke. Turning to look down at Loretta, the Dauntless nodded his head deeply. "Be gone." He stated. With a growl of rebellion and displeasure, Loretta sprinted away, shouting expletives towards the winged one through her mental bond with Archibald. The warlord merely shook his head, though the rage his companion felt at being left out tickled his heart. "She is a fierce beast, you made a wise choice." His voice was deep and gruff, full of wisdom and experience and strength. Archibald nodded to the black pegasus, his quip lost on Archibald. He had no time for jesting today. This was business, and it needed to be finished quickly. He had a newly pregnant wife to find and care for.

Archibald's thick neck arched and his chin dropped, protecting his throat. Inky ears were lost in thick tendrils of his mane as they snapped down, pressed hard against his nape to keep them from sinking between misplaced teeth. A snort left Archibald's nostrils as he prepared himself for the battle, shifting his weight backwards some to rest on his immensely powerful haunches. The titan waited, ready for Murdock to come barrelling into him. The pegasus was tall and thin, and strength would definitely be in Archibald's favor today--as it always was. The pegasus reminded him of a thinner version of Paladin--much like Ophelia--and Archibald had seen just how quickly both of those crimson-marked unicorns had moved across the battlefield. Just as he had wanted, Murdock came straight for Archibald's right side, a rocket with wings. Archibald was already braced in the sand, and just as Murdock came within an inch or so of him, he surged forward some. He wanted to hit the pegasus head-on, like a hurricane, but Murdock had shifted too-far to the right and moved past him. However, Archibald shot his head out, lowering his neck. He attempted to bite at Murdock's right wing joint, an attempt to keep the stallion grounded.

Archibald's forward movement and lowered neck brought the pegasus stallion's teeth to clamp quickly over the burn scar on the right side of his neck. The bite was fleeting, and caused little reaction in the hulking behemoth. A slight twitch in his face, knowing Murdock had in fact bitten him. His nerves, however, had been damaged beyond repair from the lick of dragon fire, given him so many years ago as he defended his title valiantly and ferociously on the muddy hillsides of the Foothills. Thus, while the bite may cause some damage and bruising, Archibald would feel little, if nothing from it. Archibald turned his body around, watching as the stallion unfurled his wings and bound away. Archibald snorted at the ploy. The pegasus was doing all he could to utilize his speed and agility, Archibald could see. Locket had done the same thing, the panda painted arabian bounding away and coming in hot and fast for each attack, putting space between him and Archibald. A small smirk licked the corners of Archibald's pale lips, and he struck the smooth sand with a giant forehoof. Without a blink between, the Dauntless cantered toward Murdock. Deep, powerful tremors surged out before Archibald. He attempted to close the distance between him and the winged stallion, lifting his head some in his charge, protecting his jaws from flailing back legs, should they appear. Archibald's heavy hooves moved skillfully over the shaking world, his magic so innate in his being and such a familiar sword during battle that he had mastered maneuvering over it.

When the beast believed to be in the precise distance to the protector, he shot his head out again. Lips peeled away from his blunt teeth and he tried to plant a painful bite to Murdock's croup. The sand still rumbled beneath his feet, and Archibald suddenly stopped, planting his weight down and center, hoping Murdock would turn and face him head on once more. Should he decide otherwise, Archibald had more tricks up his stockings. The sand held him well, the thick footing of the arena such an excellent choice for today's dance.

[WC: 747 | PC: 1/3 | Setting: On the Sky Island, in the sand arena. Midday, bright sun and mild temperature. Small breeze and very few clouds in the sky.] @[Murdock]

ARCHIBALD the DAUNTLESS
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
image credits

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Sevin the Sucky, I mean are you a # or vacuum? Posts: 161
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'5" :: 25
Sevin
Default to Archibald, +0.5VP