the Rift

[OPEN] here's my dilemma

Auriel Posts: 122
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.2 Hands :: 3 (Ages Birdsong) HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
prissy
Auriel

There was no where to practice! I swear, I'm never going to fly. I can't just fly at the Falls, I can't risk anyone seeing me fall on my face. That would be embarrassing. So where do I go? I kind of just meander around for a little bit. At least I know how to walk now, in fact, I'm rather graceful. I can run around and not look like a drunken idiot. So, it was nice to be able to do that. That's what I do now, and I take off running. I saw something before when I had been at the rotunda, and it looked cool. It was distant, but I was confident I could get myself there in one piece, or at least try.

So tiny hooves fly against the ground as the wind rushes past my face. I have to admit, it kind of looked cool when I ran. Since I was breathing heavier, and I was moving much fast, I would leave little puffs of smoke trails behind him. It was cool to watch, i'd have to learn to make shapes someday. Cause if I could do that.. I would be the most beloved kid of all time! At least I hope so.

It wasn't long though before something else took my attention. Before me was a huge strip of like soft land. The closer I got to it, the more my hooves sank into it. Until, then it gobbled up my hoof! "I'm being eaten!" I squeal, quickly backing up onto more solid ground. What sorcery was this?! Tentatively I lift my hoof and poke at it. Again, the stuff slides over what I press into it. I shoot it an evil look before spotting a small rock back a few feet. I trot over and pick it up, apologizing if I kill it. I need a test dummy though, and I would be missed more than a rock. No offense rock.

Taking it carefully into my mouth, I walk back over to the edge of the eating land, and then fling the rock with my head into the weird stuff. I watch intently as it lands, puffing a little of the eaty-land around it, before settling into a little comfortable position. The ground din't help it, it just looked like it was cradling the rock. I tilt my head, and now I must find out myself.

Quickly I bound forward, until all four of my hooves are stuck into the sand. It holds me up, but cushions my weight. Hey.. this stuff is kind of fun! I kick up my heels, sending sand flying in all directions, when it suddenly hits me. THIS STUFF CAN HELP ME FLY. A grin spread across my face and I stop, spreading my wings out. I must do this now, because this will catch me if I fall. Flapping as quickly as I can, I start moving forward and suddenly-

"Holy horse poop I'm in the air!" A large smile is now plastered on my face, even though its only about a foot above the sand. It was a good start though! However, I could feel my energy quickly waning, and as soon as my wings slowed, I fell front-first into the sand. my front knees hit first, followed by the rest of my small body that crinkled beneath me. I huff of pain was emitted from me, as I struggled to my feet.

This stuff hurt, a lot. A little bit of blood was stuck to my knees, and I was covered in sand. It was a pathetic sight really, but I knew it was probably better to fall on this than on the hard ground. The Gods know I'd be in a lot of trouble if that happened.

"talk talk talk"
[Open to anyone. ^^]
Coding by Tamme

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
I will be your shield when you are a soldier

It occurred to the roan mare that this was an environment she'd not yet explored. As she trudged the coastline, the grass was choked by ivory sands and the sound of water rushed into her ears. It was unexpected, to say the least, and she wondered if she hadn't made a terrible mistake. The earth beneath her hooves shifted and roiled like it was alive, and every step sent a little chill of discomfort up her spine. She was a daughter of the forest, protector of the great tree and walker of firm grounds. Even the birds here sounded different, with new caws and squawks the likes of which she'd never heard.

Cheska had spent her morning ambling down the coast, sightseeing and looking for some company. The latter objective she had thus far failed miserably, and so she was left with only the sound of gulls and a song for companionship. She sang her song cheerfully as she scooped up sand with her broad nose and dragged it into nonsensical patterns and mounds near her feet. She crooned it to herself as she chased the outgoing tide and ran from the incoming. She forgot the words to the last verse and hummed it to herself as she lay in the shade of a rocky outcropping, trying to shake sand out of her twisted black mane.

She'd found a strange little creature with a smooth, speckled shell and they were nipping at each other with claw and teeth when she heard it. The sound of a squeal drew her attention away from the sharp thing.

I'm being eaten!

Oh, no you're not, she thought resolutely, Ain't nobody gettin eaten on my watch. In an instant, she was up and kicking off her back legs into a dead gallop. Sand sprayed out behind her and up into her feathers. She pounded down the beach, a massive thing moving too quickly to look in any way elegant. That sarcastic part of her brain had an instantaneous reaction. What are you going to do, pony? You've got no wings, no horn, and no magic. Are you going to kill whatever's eating that kid with your sparkling personality? She shook the thought from her mind. Maybe she'd give it something a little bigger to shove in its-

It took a few long moments, but she finally arrived at the scene of the "crime" to find a young pegasus descending into a soft, wet dune. Her first instinct was to race forward to catch the flailing filly, fling herself into the landing spot to form a soft Cheska-cushion. But the image of a bunch of lanky legs colliding with her face (a face she was rather fond of, given that it was the only one she had) gave her just enough hesitation to see the young one land hard.

She instantly felt a sting of responsibility.

She trotted gently forward toward where the filly was getting back to her feet. Minding her tone and the filly's personal space, she approached slowly. Too many things around these parts could kill her, and she was hardly looking for a fight. "You hurt?" she asked gently. She'd learned with Kyrie that a mother's fretting was a terrible kind of magic that only made the little scrapes and burns of childhood sting all the worse. So rather than panic, she smiled a little smile only for her solitary companion. "Don't get me wrong, you've got some impressive aeronautics there, but maybe we oughtta wash that out, hmm?" She gestured toward the water, waiting for the filly to accept or breathe fire and roast her face off. Whatever came first.

count] 610
tags] @[Auriel]
ooc]Hope you don't mind.

prissy
Auriel

Well, at least I was getting somewhere with the wings. Although flight was still not exactly great, I had managed to get into the air! How cool was that! Sometimes though, I kind of wish I could just get it. Mom got it so easily, yet here I was, flailing about still with not a feather to my name.

Also I forgot how stupid I looked when I fell, and, to top it off, I forgot that I was in public, so Cheska scared the little horse poo I had left out of me. I squeal, turning awkwardly to face her. In a moment I actually think I'm about to die. Why else would a larger horse be watching me? Oh GOD. I've only lived a little bit! My pale eyes just stare at her like an idiot, until I realize that maybe she was actually trying to help me; since I am bleeding and all that whizz. I crinkle my nose as my eyes water. It actually really, really hurts. "Please help me make it go away." I whimper. Im so pathetic, its sad, but I need help! Watching where she gestures to, I'm only even more scared. Its the giant, roaring thing that keeps crashing down on the squishy stuff. Did that water monster eat the sand, and the sand ate baby horses? Looking down I notice that although my knees are scraped, my hooves haven't sunken in any farther than before. Welp, this was beginning to become a very, very confusing day.

Waddling forward, I turn to walk near the edge of the water monster. So far, so good. Suddenly, another monster wave thing comes at me, and splashes against my knees. It stings, but some of the stuff falls off my knees. I turn to look at the like rust colored mare. Tears filling up even more as a wave came crashing back against my knee. "Is it supposed to sting me? Will it make the other pain go away?" My lip quivers as I bite it. I can't cry, not here. For all I know, the mare may be secretly torturing me or something. Maybe Dad or Mom pissed her off. Who knows. Right now though, I just want the pain to stop. It hurts! Another wave hits, and I can't take it anymore. Small little baby foal tears fall from my eyes as I stiffly move towards the mare. "If I die of pain, my name is A-Auriel and I'm from the H-H-Hidden Falls. You need to tell my mom and d-dad if I do die. Or my si-sister, although I think Shida would be happy i-i died." Now the tears are pouring from my eyes like a really, really weak little girl. How could I succumb to such a terrible emotion?! Now everyone will think I'm pathetic, especially if I die to sand.

If I'm going to die though, I want to be comforted as my dying wish. So I stumble forward again, trying to hold myself against the mare. She probably thinks I'm crazy, which kinda isn't a lie, but now its even more prevalent. I just hope she lets me die peacefully.

"talk talk talk"
@[Cheska]
Coding by Tamme

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska

For all the newness of sand, the ocean was a familiar figure to Cheska. She knew a story of a herd built on the great outcroppings of a cliff overlooking the raging seas. She'd heard accounts of a sad old stallion who'd drowned himself for want of a lost love. In the oldest stories, there was talk that the ocean had predated even the gods. Ocean was a great warrior queen and from her depths she bought forth the earth and all the creatures that lived on it. In this, Cheska had always admired her. Ocean was stormy and strong, with powerful waves and dark skies, but she was also gentle, her shallows warm and inviting and her bounty generous. Even as they approached, the mare appealed to her gentler aspect. Be still today. One of your daughters is in need.

She was careful to eye for any treacherous rocks lurking before them, but she was pleased by how the filly weathered the breakers. As the wave ebbed away, she examined the wound again, but this time the little one's tears drew her attention. "Now, don't you worry, that's just the ocean kissin it better," she cooed. She lipped at the filly's mane with all the automatic reaction of a mother. "You know, some folks say that the very first pegasus was fashioned from the ocean, sprung from the surf, with great big white wings made of mist. And unicorns were carved from ice in the high mountains. The ocean's just like… like your gran welcoming you back." Still, she bore the filly's weight carefully, letting the crocodile tears come as they may. It was a child's prerogative to cry, a luxury that became scarcer and scarcer as time wore on.

Rather, she listened with intent as the filly gave her emergency contact. She nearly laughed, but she knew the clutch of distress as well as any. Fear and insecurity were powerful seeds that could strangle even the greatest warriors. And to feel that insecurity about family was a mightier blow than any wave could deliver. This alone wiped the humor from her face. "If you died of pain, Auriel from the Hidden Falls, I bet your sister would be the first one snatchin you out of the Death God's jaws," she said firmly, as if she knew it to be true. "Believe when I say there ain't a whole lot of forces in this world fiercer than love between sisters."

Warmth seeped into her chest at the memory of her own sister. Maera was only a season younger, but she recalled how delicate and fragile and lovely the filly had looked, and how all at once something inside of her had combusted. Some love deeper and more ferocious than any magic had swallowed her, and she knew that she would love that child until death itself tore them apart. She still felt it, even now, accompanied by a dull ache of defeat. But that was a story for another time.

Now she bumped the filly gently, a bit of mischief sneaking back into her expression as she brushed the last granules away with the side of her muzzle. "Don't cry now. You've got all the deep of the ocean and all the strong of the ice in you. Not to mention a family that loves you. That's a lot more than most folks get." She lowered her head to find Auriel's gaze. "Feelin any better?"

count] 576
tags] @[Auriel]
ooc]

◊ please tag Cheska in all posts
◊ full permission is granted for minor powerplays including
touching, placement and superficial injury

prissy
Auriel

I'm really, really happy that Cheska was letting me lean on her. I felt so stupid and immature for crying. I wasn't supposed to cry, ever. I needed to be the strong twin, the one that made sure everyone was safe. How was I supposed to keep everyone safe when a little sand makes me feel horrible? How am I supposed to live up to dad when I can't even fight? They're all going to be so disappointed in me if they find out.

For now though, I need to let Cheska help me. I know I can't handle myself right now, and her stories and words are oddly comforting. Kind of like a second mom, but not really a mom, just like a mom that isn't a mom but is like a friend. Yeah, Cheska is my friend. Granted we've just met, and I still don't actually know her name, but her words are just so awesome. I can't help but smile as she talks of the sea, and how the first pegasus and unicorn were born. One was the sea, roaring and cutting. The other, ice and stone. Like mom and dad, just reversed. Mom was the ice and stone, and dad was the roar. I smile, deducing that if that is the case, it makes sense. The water can tear at stone, so maybe that's why it stings a little, because I'm also a unicorn. So I snuggle even closer, as if I think I can meld into her safety.

Though, her next words I know are not true. I know my sister was nice and all, and would sacrifice herself (or so she said at the egg thing), but did she mean it? She may have just been saying that because the furry rat wanted an answer. I shuffle my feet in the sand, as if afraid to ask her. She doesn't know Shida, but did she have a sister? "I'm feeling better, but, how do you know my sister will save me? Do you have a sister?" I ask, my voice actually calm now. The only remnants of my incredible pain was seen in the reddened eyes and tear-streaked face. "What if she lets me die because she doesn't want me?" I add pointedly, and sort of accusingly. Dwelling on negative thoughts was a dark place, and every time I even wandered close it liked to take me over. I always tried so hard to avoid it, but it never works.

I reach up my little nose towards her, amber eyes staring at her intently from my little spot at her side. She didn't have wings or a horn.. was she from a different place, what was the hornless and wingless story? I know they exist, because I've seen a few before her. It's just not polite to ask. "You don't have wings or a horn, so where did your kind come from?" My mind-gears crank and creak, trying to come up with every possibility. If they were born from ocean, the other from mountains... was the hornless and wingless from the earth? That'd be pretty dang cool. "What's your name?" I add quickly. I like hearing horses names. Some of them were smooth, others were rough. By the looks of it, Cheska had a nice smooth name. One that when you heard reminded you of home.

"talk talk talk"
@[Cheska]
Coding by Tamme

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska

There was nothing in Cheska's world quite as valuable as the gift of being needed. She'd thrived on the dependence of her sister, her herd and her daughter. Their wellbeing was as vital to her as the air she breathed. Without them, she was useless. So over the course of her years, she'd learned to square her legs, grit her teeth and gladly bear the weight of her friends, sometimes in a more literal sense than others. The good ones would share her burdens in kind. For this reason, there was welcome familiarity to Auriel's warm weight pressed against her. If she'd been a more honest mare, she'd admit to herself that she found even more comfort in the press of flesh than her company did. Instead, she let the little huff of laughter escape as the filly nestled closer. Even as the waves of early birdsong chilled her, there was warmth to be had.

"Couple miles east of here, you can't throw a rock without hittin one of my sisters," she interjected, mock exasperation in her tone. They were half-sisters, but it probably wasn't her place to explain her testosterone-fueled father's delicate art of "stickin it in anything that stood still long enough." Probably not. Peregrine's daughters and mares were knit more tightly by their loathing of him than by any actual blood relation, but most days they were as much a family as any definition of the word could imply. Her sisters had been many, and each special in her way, but Auriel's question didn't conjure her memories of Cassara or Fenrin. She thought only of Maera. She tried to shake the memory to pay attention to the present.

What if she lets me die because she doesn't want me? She thought about the question for all of half a second before she heard the answer come tumbling out of her mouth accompanied by a conspiratorial note. "Let me get this straight. You came all the way out here on your own, right? No parents, no sister, nobody to protect you? I don't think anybody but you is decidin whether you live or die, Miss Auriel.

"And anyway... sisters were made for fightin and lovin."
In hindsight, her bickering sessions with Maera seemed fairly ridiculous, but the fights were even more important. She'd never had a fight with anyone she didn't care about. She continued wistfully, one foot in the past and one in the present. "I had a sister named Maera and we fought. A lot. All the time. Got angry and yelled and kicked each other all over pasture. We didn't always like each other, but we loved each other somethin awful. We looked out for each other for a long time." She nudged the filly ever so gently, not enough to knock her away, but enough to make a point. "Lovin somebody means you count on them and you care about them more than yourself." She twisted to come nose to nose with her small friend. "Like's a puddle. Like dries up. Love's deeper than oceans."

She let it sit while Auriel asked her questions. Kids always had questions, and in Cheska's opinion, curiosity (wrongfully accused for many years of killing the cat) was in fact the greatest of virtues. When she was finished, the older girl bumped their noses gently together. "Name's Cheska," she drawled cheerfully, "but my ma always said she shoulda named me Chatterbox. Sorry bout that." She chuckled softly, but carried on talking all the same.

"Anyway… some say my kind came from the mud, but I'm not a real big fan of that one. I like the story that says we came from the rain. The story goes that the first horses were made by Earth God when he created the first rainfall. Big drops hit the earth and turned into strong brown horses and others were light showers that fell on the sand and turned into delicate golden horses. Some fell into the stream and turned silver and others speckled. Some froze as they fell and grew thicker fur and whiter coats. That's why my kind has always remained colors of earth."

She finished with a bit of a tired tongue. "Or so I've been told." She kicked up a bit of water with her fore, watching it splash down. "Say, I was gonna go explore. Maybe scare up a few more of those claw-y thingers. Want to walk off your battle wound with me?"

count] 746
tags] @[Auriel]
ooc] Unexpected LT aspirations: Cheska the Mom-Friend and Cheska the Chatterbox :P

prissy
Auriel

She has sister too! That's cool. I bet hers a nice, and she has so many that if I throw a rock, I'll hit one? Gently I reach down and pick up a beached rock. I wanted to hit her sisters. Not to hurt them though, I just want to say hi. If they are as nice as Cheska, I want to meet them all. Then I can have even more friends that can help me out. Whipping my head back, I toss it into the ocean, looking at Cheska expectantly. "Did I just hit one of your sisters?" I cry out, looking at her expectantly. I ignore what she says about my sister and stuff. That doesn't matter right now, I made it here alone, but I sure as horse poopy did not know how to protect myself. Like, I just almost thought I was dying to sand and water which apparently some horses were born-ed out of. That's not cool or strong.

So I focus on the story of her sisters. My ears flicker forward intently as I reach my muzzle up to her as if that would make me hear better. Apparently her and her sister fought... but did her sister explode? I don't think so. It was nice of her to try to make me feel better, but I know I'm in different circumstances. Though, things got deep really fast. She talked about love, and like. One dries up while the other stays forever and ever. Did Shida love me? Did mom and dad love me? Or did they all just like me? When Cheska reaches her nose I greedily reach forward and touch my muzzle against hers. It's nice to have someone to talk too. I wish she lived in the Falls with me, then she could make sure I grew up good and strong. She falls quiet for a moment, almost as if expect me to talk. I can't though, I have to think. A few more moments of silence pass, so I guess she actually wants to know what I'm thinking. "I love my sister, and my daddy and my mommy..." my voice trails off, all this thinking hurts my head. "But what if they don't love me?" The question hangs in the air. I want to know, but I don't at the same time. I don't want to know what bad things could happen if they didn't love me.

Luckily, she moves onto the story of her kind. They came from the mud and rain. They weren't all cool colors because they had to be earthy colors. Maybe that's why mommy's white, because she came from mist. I sniffle, tears and all finally subsiding for good as she has the great idea of chasing the claw things. I had seen some around before I took my little dive into the sand, but I was more focused on me than them. Might as well be the time to learn even more! My little sandy eyes sparkle with excitement as I bound forward a couple of steps. "Let's go then!" I smile a cheesy grin then turn and bound forward. Wings are flapping, and heads a flinging, before I finally stop and let Cheska meet up. I don't want to go alone! Speaking of which... "So where do you live, because I want to come visit!" Hopefully she lives close to the Falls, otherwise that'd be a really long walk. Getting here was enough work as it was.

"talk talk talk"
@[Cheska] Cheska's adorbs ;-; sorry these are so weird. xD
Coding by Tamme

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska

As a stone sailed past her, she had one distinct thought: this child ain't one bit right in the head. That lasted all of a millisecond before she shrugged off the knee-jerk sentiment, deciding that right in the head was a severely overrated condition whose sufferers were doomed to lives of mediocrity. She settled instead on an exaggerated a wince as the rock hit water. "Ooof. Probably just knocked one clean out," she hooted. "Remind me not to ruffle your feathers near any blunt objects."

She blinked slowly at the next question, not entirely understanding. Of course her mother loved her, how could anyone not? She wasn't sure she had a story or a pearl of wisdom for that one. So... she decided to write one. If you haven't got a good story, make one the hell up. She wasn't sure who'd told her that one, but it was good advice. A storyteller's best assets were her memory and her ability to weave glorious tons of bullshit into gold. And oh, had the mare ever played Rumpelstiltskin over the years. She bumped the available nose one more time, both a play for time to think and an encouraging gesture.

"I'm somebody's mom, so I reckon that makes me an authority on the subject," she began, once again in lecture mode. "So let me tell you why your momma's got to love you. A-Number-One, your momma and daddy had to like each other enough to make you and your sister, right? That little bit of love's like sand in an oyster, and it grows and grows until you're born, and when you little pearls come out blinkin at your momma, she can't help but fall madly in love with you. All mommas do. We just can't help it. It's kind of like... magic." She giggled gently here. "And B-Number-Two, look at you. You got wings and smoke and bells and whistles and a helluva mouth. Who wouldn't love you?" She finished this matter-of-factly. Of course, she wasn't as stupid as she appeared. She knew others who had lived difficult lives, been abandoned, lost parents. Her own daughter lived most of her life without her idiot father. She just couldn't look into those eyes and be expected to remain pragmatic. This particular story was just meant to have a happy ending.

Still, she was pleased to let the conversation go to chase after her young friend. Slowly, of course. She was a filly at heart but she'd put on a few tons in her years. She wandered down the beach a ways before answering the question posed. "Sometimes I sleep in the forest, sometimes closer to the meadow." She tossed her head in a shrug. "Wherever I figure I won't get eaten... So I guess you can visit me whenever you please." She pawed at a rock with her wide hooves. Nothing. "Does your family live far? You all together?" Conversational, but lit with genuine curiosity. Mostly because she wondered if some angry mother was going to spring out of the forests and accuse her of grand-theft daughter. Twasn't doing nothing, ma'am. Just thought I'd have a quick kidnappin. Don't fuss none.

She kicked over another broad, flat rock. She saw a flash of shelled movement and shoved her noseat it immediately. She regretted it instantly. "OH, CONFOUND IT! HE'S GOT ME!" She emerged with a crab clamped firmly to her left nare. She shook her head furiously, but the little beast held tight. Stars of pain exploded behind her eyes. "Oh, gods, I think it's killin me!" She'd challenged the claw thing... and she had been handily defeated. She closed her eyes and waited for the sweet release of death.

count] 619
tags] @[Auriel]
ooc] No, I love Auriel! These two are so perfectly weird for each other.