the Rift

[OPEN] no matter which way you go [Welcoming]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua
It was easy enough for the queen, once Maat had decided to come with her, to fall into a routine. Memories of Mauja still swam in her head, but at least she focus her addled mind elsewhere. Thoughts of death still whispered from the shadows, but at least she could give attention to words she and Maat exchanged. Streams of blood still trickled in the distance, but at least she could walk away from them. Distractions- they were the only way she survived all of her miseries and her depression.

“Not at all,” she replied, regarding debts and payments. “I was given a similar kindness several years ago.” Indeed, she had dreamed of a better life than where she had originally come from when she had arrived in this forest several years younger. In some ways, she did have a better life. Duchenar had brought her to the Edge, where Lace had welcomed her as one of his own. She had nothing to offer them except her body and her dedication- no special skills or talents, no magic, no horns or wings, no knowledge- and yet they had taken her in to give her a home when they didn’t have to. She had never forgotten that kindness, and she spread it now as often as she could.

“That’s what I hear,” she said with a sigh, regarding running from her troubles. Ophelia had told her the same. Was it that she was too dumb or too stubborn to listen? “You must be brave to run towards yours.” She added, the beginnings of a smile raising the corners of her lips.

The walk from the Threshold to Edge was not especially long, but it seemed frustratingly slow to the paint mare today. She wanted away from the wilds, away from the possibility that Mauja might find her wandering alone. Still, she tried her best to keep a cheery attitude while she walked with Maat, explaining along the way what she could of the herd- That they strived for peace, of the different jobs that horses took up (warrior, sleuth, crafter, philosopher, or mender), that there were three other herds in Helovia (Throat, Falls, and Basin), and of which they were on peaceful terms with (Falls and Basin). She spoke of the lands as they walked through them, and of tidbits that she could offer on good locations to visit. Of course, she was careful to leave room for Maat to interject, speak, and ask questions as she wished.

Finally, though, the queen saw a glittering in the distance. “Careful,” she mused as the glittering grew closer. “We used to have a glass wall around our borders, but it got broken. Just watch your step.” True, it was getting clearer and clearer, but there were still shards here or there, daring to poke the frogs of any otherwise distracted horse. Stepping over the border into her home, the queen’s eyes did dare to twinkle a little brighter as she turned back towards Maat. “Welcome home… What do you think?”

@[Maat]
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Maat Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
How long it had been since a place called to her such as one as that, somewhere she would rest her bones and let her mind wander toward other things than those ghosts though she wondered about them. Would they be there, waiting for her to find them, to confront their misdeeds and ask for the part of her they took, and would they willingly give it up if she did, after all the years of her searching and getting so close she could hear their giggling at her dismay when they floated off again? Would anyone there have seen them, would they tell her if they did, would they understand the implications of keeping such a secret from her? No, she would have to let time be on her side, let them find her while she worked on not fluttering away again.

Little did she know about the mishaps that happened around the lands, the crimes committed and smell of metallic that leaked into the air. Though if given the option she would have most likely chosen to keep the truth from her ears, just as she would rather not know the finer details of Kahlua's troubles. What use would a girl like her be in helping to solve Helovia's problems if she could not even catch her own? Perhaps the art of observance was the only talent to her name, the only gift she could offer them. She knew Kahlua's thoughtfulness would one day be paid back in kind, but those were thoughts for a different moment.

Maat would have dipped her white face in disapproval over the other's comment: she was not brave, simply desperate. But instead she figured she overstepped her boundaries enough for the remainder of their interaction, and she would walk along with the mare in silence while she spoke of everything she knew. The information might have been overwhelming for one who wasn't her, but her bird-mind knew how to keep track of shiny things. She didn't know which part of her words she would belong to, what she could do in their corner of the grid. She had yet to even see another cross their path along their journey, and she began to wonder if anything would go her way to capture that wavering attention.

The shattered pieces of glass reflected the light back into her eyes but it was soft, the land giving her its own welcome. She would have stopped to just stare at them until the sun gave way to the darkening sky, if not for fear of falling behind. It was perhaps the thing Kahlua warned her of--to not be distracted, to keep her focus, to ensure her own safety--so she averted her gaze to settle upon her company instead. "The sight alone is enough to make my heart pause." Words eluded her and she could feel a hint of curiosity bubbling through her system. "The wall... Was it to keep something out? Is there danger now that it is gone?" For how was she to plan her search of the ghosts if the fear of attack was always present?

count: 522
tagged:
ooc:
sx2@dA

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Kahlua
The shattered wall was very much reminiscent of the Sunshower herself- a broken remnant of what she had been before. It was funny, in fact. She had made the wall in her prime, raised it from nothing, dehydrated the very land to create glass from mist. She had been strong then- adventurous, willing, excited. She had raised the wall from nothingness to be mighty and strong, much like herself. But then evil had come to the lands and struck both herself and her barrier down. Her soul had been shattered, her wall had been shattered, and now piece by piece they were both being carried away to make room for… for what? That was the question. When the answer was found, perhaps both she and the wall would know more about themselves.

“I used to be glazier, before I was queen,” she mused in response to Maat’s question. “I made the wall because my queen, the DragonHeart, had asked me to. There were invasions then, and problems between the herds, but we’re on good terms with all of the herds now.” For a moment she considered not telling Maat which herd had been the aggressor, but it seemed important that the knowledge was known. “The Basin to the north attacked us. I suppose this land used to be theirs, long before I was in Helovia. Another herd attacked with them, although that herd doesn’t exist anymore.” True, the land was the same, but the denizens were very different. “The Dragon’s Throat to the south helped defend our lands. We came out victorious, but Mirage thought we would be safer if we were protected.”

Humming for a moment, walking further into the Edge, she considered what else to add about their history. “Our aim now is to unite the land of Helovia with peace, and hopefully to make our land a place where all the herds can gather and feel safer than they would in the outlands.” Turning her blue eyes to Maat, she decided that she probably shouldn’t do all of the talking. “What is your home like? Or, I suppose, where you came from to chase the… thing you lost.”

@[Maat]- I’m seriously the worst. I’m so sorry!! Life ate me.
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post