the Rift

[OPEN] elastic hearts [lakota]

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Like walking into a dream, so unlike what you've seen

It was still dark when he reached the horizon, soft waves of brisk mountain air playing at inky locks as the behemoth reached the peak. Small sparks of light danced on the horizon, toying with the idea of lighting the day and breaking into newness. Even in his bellicose nature, the man could take in the breathtaking wonder that was a sunrise. His golden eyes flecked with wonder, taking in the scene being painted before him as he ascended the mountainside. His stoic face was soft, neutral, though his eyes painted a picture of wonder and awe as he looked into the sky mixing with the horizon.

At his heels his cur moved slowly, matching his pace which was typical in their lifetime bond. She was not often on her own or away from her rock unless commanded—by him or by hunger. The pair moved carefully, with calculated steps in the darkness that plagued the foliage around their feet. There was no path the way they were traveling. Feet and paws alike pushed down tall plants and weeds, giving way to a new trail, one they demolished together. The companions were all-too familiar with this territory—with climbing mountains and paving way for adventure and structure—for it had been their life for so many years. The Windtossed Foothills had been the solace the Dauntless and his brother, the Able, had found after the shades of destruction ripped apart their home, piece by piece with no retribution or redemption to be sought. The red and white female had been born into this land, had hunted in its mighty forests and explored the twists and turns of the mountain paths. The undemonstrative man had protected the borders, fought unnerved among the soldiers, had led the other soldiers, and eventually led the entirety of the population.
However, those days were no more.

They stood now, at the peak of their newly created path, as strangers. The land no longer bent in the way that was familiar to them—their minds eye painting different pictures than the layout of landscape before them. This was new, and wrong. A scowl knit across glacial features, golden eyes narrowing some. The canine looked up to her bonded, ears lowering in turn with his scowl. This was not the place of her pup-hood, nor was this the place Archibald had worked hard to protect, laying blood and sinew in its depths; it brought the weight of the world down on Loretta’s shoulders. A small whine dropped from her lips and she closed the distance between her and Archibald, leaning her head against his thick, powerful knee. Leaning down, he touched the top of her reddened head, sending a comforting wave of support towards her heart.

[Archi is standing on a peak, looking down at the Hidden Falls.]

[Image: architable.jpg]
FiagaiStock.deviantart.com | arctichorse.deviantart.com | by: Imi

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Tip me over, pour me out

Age had perhaps not made her wise, but it made her nostalgic in the worst of ways. The fields had been the horizon on which plenty of her life had changed. Her past was etched into the soft earth, the bedrock, and remained far longer than the flowers and grasses that had existed when she'd first been changed on its soil. Once upon a time chimed in her head, and she snorted inelegantly, casting away the fantastical words that would never be applied to her life. Whispers caressed her ankles as she climbed, muscles warm with use and breaths fogging in the brisk dawn hours. Nostalgia had clung to her heart like a leech, sucking her dry of her presence of mind until the pull of memories had dragged her halfway across the peninsula. Once upon a time...oh, and how it hurt to use those words, but once upon a time she had been strong. Regal. And yet she had risen so high just to fall equally as far. A useless nurse in a herd she no longer seemed to desire, with a heart too conflicted to navigate. Lakota had never bothered to learn the ways of acknowledging her own emotions, so to be fair it was not something she likely could have done anyways.

It seemed her life revolved around the golden days of the Grey, of the group that had given her life when she was bitter and dead in the gateway of a new world. Memories of a mare too young for the protectiveness Lakota had felt for her, too young to be a queen in the making. Friendship, magic, triumph...she had run until her heart had pulsed, had fought until her blood had boiled with adrenaline, had burned and burned and burned for her patchwork family. Had burned to live again. She was like a phoenix, and the Grey had set match to her, allowing her to be reborn. Repurposed. The Lakota of the past would have sneered to see the mare that climbed the hill that evening, to see how far she'd fallen, how much she'd lost. Yet Lakota had also gained so much, even if it had cost her the position she'd loved, the usefulness she'd once had. Her family had leaned on her once. Now it was she who faded into the mists, who was lost in a shadow she'd once helped them cast.

There was no expectation for what she had found. Whatever had led her to the peak had not merely pulled at her alone. Lakota had anticipated a lonely night on the peak with only her prince at her side, mourning the loss of the land that had once been hers. The only place she'd ever really called home, even after the seasons she'd spent in the World's Edge. The hulking form that met her tired violet gaze was not what she'd expected. A name choked in her throat, but the silence was too tender, too raw. The emotion that permeated the area was like smog, and she aided it with her own despair, her own loss and nostalgia.

Instead, she quietly made her way to the figure on the crest, Aodaun quiet and complacent at her side. He knew there was nothing he could possibly do to comfort her, not when her failures were lain quite plainly at her feet. His heat washes over her as she moves to stand at his side, dwarfed in comparison, but both with mountains upon their shoulders. Similar in nature. She stands beside him in silence for a long time, merely gazing down at the unfamiliar land at their hooves. For a moment, tongue prepared to speak, she doesn't know what to say. It comes quietly, like the morning does at their backs.

"I miss it." Simple. Yet her voice is weary, ancient. Almost hurting. She wants to lean against him, let him hold her up, hold her together. It wasn't fair of her to, however, and so she remained complacently where she was. "I miss the Grey. I miss Circe. I miss...I miss being useful, Archibald," she whispered, as if throughout the time it had taken her to speak the words she had been forced smaller and smaller. It was the only way she could speak and not break apart, a thousand pieces scattered on a foreign wind. Turning, she let her violet eyes fall to his frame, to his rugged features and somber eyes. "Was it worth it?" And his answer held her world, her peace. One word could make or break the illusion she'd created for herself. Lakota trusted him to show her the truth, to tell her that maybe they couldn't have changed anything. Maybe they were destined to fail, all those years ago.

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Like walking into a dream, so unlike what you've seen

Loretta sense them first, and sends Archibald and image of the pair. He turned his golden eyes to them as they approach. His friends, Lakota and Aodaun. The Dauntless simply dipped his head in greeting to them, eyes turning back to look down at where the Foothills once stood, the dawn breaking behind him. He was content with Lakota at his side, her presence always welcomed. Her warmth touched his side and Archibald naturally moved towards it. He gently pressed his massive shoulder into her, seeming to cover her like a sanctuary. She was his sister, bonded to him by strife and history, unable to be removed from his heart. Loretta turned to move over by Aodaun, tail wagging some, before she moved her muzzle out to groom and lick the polar bear's fur. It was a gentle show of affection, something Loretta did with her sisters and Eytan as well.

Silence passed over them, a veil of their emotions. The healer broke the silence first, seeking answers from the warlord. The stallion's blazed face hardened as he thought, mulling her question over in his mind. Archibald took a deep breath, the memories of his past filling his mind. Wars raged on, patrols ran through, challenges burned, and bone and sinew were sewn back together in his mind's eye, and all of it happened with Lakota at his side...and Ktulu...and Apollo...and Ophelia...and Circe. His heart throbbed with the memories, panging for his brethren to be at his side once more. The Grey no longer existed, but the bonds and loved formed between the handful of horses that were willing to sacrifice everything for each other remained. Sighing, Archibald nodded, his golden eyes still looking out across the Hidden Falls. "Without our past, we would be nothing. The pain we caused, the pain we felt--all of it--it matters. Strife and war and gain brought us together, but love kept us together. Without the sins of our past, whether they hold weight or not, we are better for it. How useless our lives would be had we done nothing, had we stayed in the Deep Forest like stags and does, hidden in the darkness." His voice was hard, stoic, but was heavy. Lakota was no stranger to this tone, he knew.

It is my hope that Circe will join us, soon. We have conceived another child." A smile breaks Archibald's pale pink lips suddenly, turning his head to look at Lakota with hope glistening in his molten gold eyes.

[Image: architable.jpg]
FiagaiStock.deviantart.com | arctichorse.deviantart.com | by: Imi

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me