the Rift

[OPEN] Of Salt And Sand[Welcoming]

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

To deny that i enjoyed Maren's company would be a bold-faced lie. As we walked, i told her all i knew of the Throat, of current alliances and tensions, of the murders and dangers she would face as a new Helovian. I did not mind the long trip from the Threshold to the sands of the Throat, it was good to actually walk every now and then. I was mindful, however, of her endurance, and made sure to stop whenever she showed signs of tiring.

But soon, as the sun began to rise, we crossed the land bridge, and i raised my head to the sun, enjoying the warmth that chased away the chill of the desert night. Home. I wished at times like this that i could hear the Sacre, if only to hear the power and beauty of the desert as the sun kissed it's edge.

I pause, bowing my head and arching my wings, paying homage to the Wind and Sun, but alas for a shorter time than i normally would have. Once done, i turned to face Maren, bowing my head and sweeping out my wings in a broad gesture, a grin tugging at my lips. "Allow me to welcome you to the Dragon's Throat, Maren." I raise my head, gazing back out at the orange-pink sand, watching a dust swirl race across the dunes, stirred to action by the shifting air.

"As a member of the Throat, you can choose from a number of jobs here. There are the Healers, Spies, Crafters, Disciples, and the Warriors. Healers, of course, practice the art of medicine. Spies work with information, Crafters deal with creating objects out of metal. Disciples are the ones closest to our patron, the Sun God, and Warriors is pretty much self-explanatory. As Chancellor i can formally accept you into a herd and get you set up in your new rank." I grin, ears pricked towards the winged mare.

She didn't seem the warrior type to me, but i could be wrong. If anything i picked up Healer or Disciple from her... but no matter her choice i would make sure she was set up and ready.

Word Count: 363 Tags: @[Maren]
CREDITS
Jello88.deviantart.com | Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com | Tumana-Strock.deviantart.com | XResch.deviantart.com | cooltext.com | Made by euphoraxio.deviantart.com | Table by Linds |

Pixel by Aud

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
[Image: 2mpbfgn.png]

We believed we'd catch the rainbow
Ride the wind to the sun
Sail away on ships of wonder

______

Not being able to fly did not mean she could not still run as fast as the wind. And she showed him her own kind of reckless speeding while finding their ways to the lands of the Throat, his homeland and soon-to-be hers. When at slower paces he taught her about the past and present of Helovia. These were very interesting hearings and she made sure to remember them as well as the other mysteries, like the recent murder. She could evaluate and brood on those later if she felt like it. Although she hadn't met anyone besides Buce, she still felt that she had met one of the better ones - of course taking into consideration that things could always U-turn. It would've been nice, though, if she could have compared apples to apples instead of guessing.

But now they had been traveling south for longer than the stories could go on for, and silence had fallen, both corrupted by their own thoughts. Keeping up a steady jog between them, their surroundings slowly changed from a fruitful, moist soil, to a cracking foundation of dried-up lands and loose sand.

The grey darkness around her turned into pink pastels as the light on the horizon began to glow, embraced her white-striped body with warm colors as their deepened shadows stretched. So early in the morning and she could already tell that it would take time for her to get used to the temperatures. The night chill had actually been quit comfortable for her. Their hooves had stopped moving on the other side of the land bridge and she faced Buce as he -once again- bowed. "Allow me to welcome you to the Dragon's Throat, Maren." A soothing breeze brushed through her mane and feathers while she accepted his grin with a smile. Regrettably that smile slowly faded into the sudden downfall of words that left the happy mouth of the Pegasus. Al that was left was a swagging frown above thoughtful eyes. You know... If you had informed me earlier about this choice I have to make I would've used our long walk for thinking-time."

All her decisions since her arrival had been made in haste, had been nothing more than pressing buttons blindly. This, however, was something she needed to brood on for a bit. White feathered wings quietly swayed when she shook her head. "My halo has gotten a bit rusty", her words left her lips doubtful, but she had already known nonetheless. "But alas, I want to join your Church." She had pushed aside wisdom and blamed it on faith.

@[Bucephalus]
Notes: ...
Wordcount: 438
"talking" thinking

Please tag me 

Her suggestion that I should have informed her earlier pulls a grimace across my face. She was right, and I ducked my head in apology. However her mention of a halo brings a smile to my lips, and oddly I'm not surprised that she wishes to join the 'church'. Admittedly, however, I had not taken her as one to worship the sun. Or any deity really.

But I acknowledge her choice with a dip of my head. "Then I shall take you to Amani, she is our Diviner, the lead Disciple. She'll get you sorted out and tell you what your new duties are...because honestly I haven't the foggiest."

I flashed a grin at her, gesturing with a wing to the Tree. "There, that tree marks our home. If ever you find yourself lost among the dunes, look for the tree, and you will find the Oasis where we live." I look to her, making sure she understood before I began walking, humming lightly for a little while before I turned to look at her again.

"So, Maren, I did not ask in the Threshold, but now would be a good time before my duties whisk me away." I grin again, then my head tilted slightly to the side. "What brought you across the Threshold? And why settle for joining me, a complete stranger?"

It was an intriguing question. Why did she follow a stranger? Why did I? Was it the chance for company, for family? I knew my reasons for following Ampere, and noble they were not. But I was curious as to what made this mare follow me rather than roam an Outcast, free to choose her path with another herd or alone.

Word Count: 279 Tags: @[Maren]
CREDITS
Jello88.deviantart.com | Chunga-Stock.deviantart.com | Tumana-Strock.deviantart.com | XResch.deviantart.com | cooltext.com | Made by euphoraxio.deviantart.com | Table by Linds |

Pixel by Aud

Ride the wind to the sun

______

If the lands of the Cherry Oak had not taught her how to fly, than at least they had taught her to believe. For the Oldland Entities had gently pressed themselves into the oxygen that her youthful filly-self had breathed in, from the lowest caves to up in the highest mountain airs. They unknowingly had grown gardens in her mind and, like the coldest nights, they had turned her soul to silver. She grew roses and oaks in the body that was her temple.

Wherever she had gone, the garden had kept growing. Over time shadows grew deep and rivers ran wild, but that was fine, because it was who she was and in the darkest shadows of the trees roses bloomed.

She had blamed her choice on faith, made wisdom flee, but was faith to blame? Or was it her desire to stay as close as possible to something she knew so well.

"It's actually pretty straight forward." Her eyes kept silent while her lips smiled and a dry chuckle left her tongue, subtly defending her new post. "But I can't wait to meet Amani - and everyone else, really." , she wanted to catch up with all the happenings. She had prepared herself for a culture-shock. Cold nights or hot nights did not make her weaver. She was here now, and she would adjust.

Her eyes followed the rustling feathers until a curiously shaped tree caught her eye like a fire. "That tree looks otherworldly." , she gazed. I'm sure I'm still going to get lost at least once, not saying it out loud in case he wanted to bet on it. Sure thing she would someday also do it on purpose.

She awoke with a light shock from her plan-making and now noticed that the stallion had began walking again, strolling ahead in graceful movements. Still keeping her stand, her eyes followed the stallion. She must admit that he had caught her a bit off-guard - although not in any romantic way. But still, he was one of a kind, for she just realized she rarely met someone so sanguine and alive.
She realized she desperately wanted to be friends with him.

In a sudden movement her legs sprang alive, and she trotted somewhat tiredly through the heavy sand. "Waaih-haait", the murmur softly grunting left her lips, a bit agitated, not sure why. Maybe because she had expected him to be her gentlemen and hold this imaginary door open for her, but instead he went in first. No, they had passed that stage and she knew it. "You have duties...?", she joked sarcastically when she had caught-up to him halfway. She did know that he was the Throat's Chancellor, he had told her on their way here - she had asked him.

"What brought you across the Threshold? And why settle for joining me, a complete stranger?" She looked again at him, a bit of a surprise flashing in her golden eyes, but it faded and the mare smiled. Her eyes had grown a bit warmer now that she had set her mind on him wanting to be her friend. "Yes, you may call me reckless for following strangers, but doesn't everyone start out as one?" She winked and played a secretive smile. It was a rhetorical question. She let her gaze wander, a sight escaping her lips as she thought about his question, not finding a suitable answer immediatly. "Life, really", she shrugged. Yes, life; with it's ups and downs. "...And like I said, I am a traveler. I love wandering around and about. But I've been there, done that, and now I want to enjoy the company of a herd, I think." He probably wanted to hear more, so her feathery, but solid sounding voice blabbered on: "I've come from far, and although I've set hooves in different places, I have always lived in small companies. I was even brought up with only my parents and brother to comfort me in the soltitude of the mountains." She wasn't lying to her new best friend. No. Maybe leaving out some important parts. But she hadn't meant to tell about her famil; that had just flown from her mouth without thinking it over.

Yes, his questions did came late. "You should have indeed asked these things in the threshold, though. Who knows", she swayed her long ivory tail behind her. "I could be a murderer, for all you know." She looked at him jokingly, but in the her eyes there shimmered a bittersweet sparkle.

She followed him like a wolf-cub his mother to wherever he would lead her. Hopefully the Amaris he was talking about.

@[Bucephalus]
Notes: -rushes back to studying-
Wordcount: 772
"talking" thinking

Please tag me 

A walk with this mare had been comfortable, had kept me at ease and somewhat soothed my restlessness. She did not ask the wrong questions, did not have a nature that rubbed me wrong nor one that stirred my wilder side and made me want to launch myself through the air and tempt fate with danger.

Nah, she had a calming presence, something only Alija seemed to have from those I had met. Her excitement at meeting others pulls a grin from me, and I flick an ear back towards her. "Most all here are very..pleasant. Albeit there are a few stranger folk, you will never be treated with any sort of negativity... unless you bring it upon yourself." I can't picture this serene mare to really get into any sort of fit.

I had to agree when she commented about the tree. Such things had not grown in Sehrau. In fact trees there were scarce to non-existent, one would only find trees to the south, in the lush tropical valley forest. However her words make me laugh, and I look down at her, glad to see she caught up.

"Yes. I keep watch over the herd and deal with the day-to-day things. Making sure everyone's doing as their supposed to, hearing reports, listening to the gossip wheel and occasionally dealing with an outsider wishing to join or diplomatic meetings with another herd." The socializing aspect of my rank came with ease; I rather enjoyed people, and found conversation to be very enlightening on building profiles on others.

Maren speaks, and I remain silent, listening to her with most of my attention, the rest focused on our surroundings. Subtly I guided her away from warrens and potential dangers, or I thought I was being subtle. Maybe she saw them, maybe she didn't. I made a mental note to warn her about the various little hazards that kept themselves buried in the sands. As one who could fly, they posed little threat to me.

Her comment about being a murderer pulls me up short, and I look to her with wariness I did not wish to feel. "I'd avoid such jokes, Maren... It's not the best of times for such humor." She didn't fit the profile, none of the clues I'd heard fit her save the white feathers, and my own profile on her temperament and personality just didn't match to a killer.

But I, of all people, knew how to hide one's blood-soaked actions.

"Well my dear, you'll have to forgive my lack of courtesy. There's been much going on as of late." I grin at her, then bound ahead to crest a dune, spinning on heel and facing her. "Behind us is the Diviner's fire, where Amara can usually be found. It is where our god sends visions to our Diviner, and sometimes I believe to Disciples." I gesture towards the Fire with a toss of my head, prancing a bit down the dune towards the flame.

Home home glorious home. I believe this was my favorite part of recruitment. Showing the fresh face around our home and watching their expressions. Made it feel worthwhile, that I could bring another into the family.

Word Count: 535 Tags: @[Maren]
CREDITS

Pixel by Aud

Ride the wind to the sun

______

Now this desperate wanting to win a friend in Buce could be nothing special. The tiger-mare's nature, however, was usually very cautious for she disliked the arrows that kept hanging in her flesh and skin. Holes that were often made by friends. Another logic reason for her to wanting Buce, was simply because he was a Chancellor, a high ranked officer from the Throat. After all; she was only a mouse running from hole to hole while diving away from chasing cats. She liked to play on slippery slopes and laugh when she fell down and got up again. She did nothing but simply play the game.

"I'd avoid such jokes, Maren... It's not the best of times for such humor." His warning burned to ashes in the fires in the back of her mind. A game, it was all a game. He probably knew lots more than he told her. For all she knew he might even be the murderer himself. "Don't worry about it, I understand that this has to be one heavy weight on the whole of Helovia." For once in his presence, Maren had turned serious and empathetic and let her silent gold eyes rest in his, her wings resting beside her head. "You might not know me very well, but I am all for justice, and all will get what is deserved." It felt like she was looking at him through fences. Even with the caution in his eyes, she couldn't see past his smile. The exact thing that had led her straight into the friend-zone, might simply turn out to be a cloak of deception. If it was, she would eventually find out. For her vigilant eyes would see and judge. If it mattered was a whole different story, for this world was based on lies and deception anyway and had unknowingly grown one with it. She was only one of the curious, watching and playing along to see how this wicked story would evolve.

Her gaze fell upon the fire that the Pegasus was now talking about. It flickered wildly in the colors of the bleeding desert sky, causing an unexplainable shiver roll over her back. She walked up through the unsteady sand until she stood beside him on the dune, the wind brushing her skin and pulling her mane. She smiled to herself, closing her eyes, already knowing she would see butterflies nor golden rain, only the ghostly shadows created by angry flames.

She also got closer, partly walking and partly sliding down the dune. With a cloud of sand slowly fading away around her, she started to feel the warmth as she drew nearer. It rubbed her face and eyes and she blinked. The mare glanced at the stallion, observing his cheerful expression. His face looked like he could start making smores any minute now, just casually pulling out a pack of marsh-mellows. But her staring eyes kept silent once again, even with the reflections of the flames dancing within them. "It's gorgeous", she lied, for she did not like fire. The only magic it had performed on her so far, was making her wings disappear. They laid tucked away, pressed against her neck covered by mane; petrified to be the ones roasted and changed into chicken-wings.
She took a few steps back - safety measures. "Where did the fire come from originally?"

@[Bucephalus]
Notes: ...
Wordcount: 561
"talking" thinking

Please tag me 

She seems to understand that her joke was in...poor taste, and I offer her a smile, but I cannot help the faint uneasiness that courses through my veins when her gaze gets... odd. As if she is trying to look past my friendliness, and see what lies at my core. It terrifies me.

What if she saw him? Saw the creature that lurked beneath my skin, at slumber for now, but ready to stir and tear apart my growingly steady life with claws of deceit and cruelty? Morrigan had struck too close, her questions stirring his ire, and somehow I had managed to worm my way out of admitting what I knew to be true.

I was insane. Completely, utterly insane. How could I not be?

I

Hear

A

Fucking

Voice

In

My

Head

Last I checked, that warranted being insane. Yet I clung to every scrap of reality, of assurance, that maybe...maybe someone would understand. Would help. Would chase him away and grant me peace, so that I could stop holding others away, so that I would be free to throw caution into the wind and experience everything with a reckless, light heart, without having to constantly check myself lest he regains control.

Movement pulls my gaze to Maren as she slips down the dune towards the fire, and a fond smile pulls my lips up. Seems Disciple was a fitting choice for her... if she was drawn to the mystical flame... or repulsed by it. Her voice held no change, but her wings were clamped to her ears...and trembling. Maybe this wasn't the profession for her. My smile drops, and at her question I cannot help but shrug.

"That...is better suited for Amani to answer. I think it came from the Sun God, so that he may communicate with his seers." Speaking of...where was she? The shadows were growing longer, the sun heavy in the sky. Perhaps she was away on business, or roaming the land and would return soon. Either way...I'd best bring this new family member to the others. "Come, let's go introduce you to your new family, and maybe get some rest." I grin at her, then wait for her to approach before I begin walking towards the herd.

Towards home.

(OOC: Figured we could wrap it up here?)
Word Count: 382 Tags: @[Maren]
CREDITS

Pixel by Aud