the Rift

[PRIVATE] nothing but tarnished memories

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali

Courage, Loyalty, Honor</style>
  there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give up   everything you've already lost.</style>

At one time Ktulu had called the forest home, had known every deer trail that wound through the most remote sections of it. She had survived there, thrived, had conquered every challenge it had thrown at her and she had emerged stronger. She had put together her band of misfits there, all of them with warped notions of peace, and they had become her family. Now they had scattered like burning embers, ready to set fire to the next place they landed. Only a few of them remained, Archibald, Lakota, Apollo, Murdock, and herself. They had all gathered in one place as if they had a magnet pulling them all together. They all felt so different and yet they still felt the same. They still felt like her family, they still wanted to survive, still wanted some semblance of peace in a world that was anything but peaceful.

Ktulu wondered if she would have a place in a peaceful world. In her heart she was a fighter. Her body was a weapon to be honed to its greatest potential to cut down her enemies. Her body was also a shield to protect those that could not protect themselves. If there was no war, no fighting, no bloodshed, would she even have a purpose or would she just fade away until she was nothing but a distant memory? Just a speck of dust in the flow of time?

The dark mare stopped and looked up to the treetops and sighed. She could wonder for hours over what ifs but in the end she would be no closer to knowing the answer than when she had begun wondering. It would only drive her mad. Damp earth squished under her hooves as she began to walk again, weaving between trees and ducking under branches. Slowly, she made her way to the pool of water at the center of the forest to quench a growing thirst. Eytan was already there drinking his fill and merely grunted a greeting as she moved to stand next to him.

Water dripped from her muzzle when she lifted her head and stared into the forest. It hurt her to admit that she did not love the forest as she had just a few short seasons ago, but it was hard to love something that had turned into her mother's grave-site. It didn't feel like home anymore and it upset her, made her angry, because her mother's murder had taken more than just her mother from her. They had taken her home.

"."

@[Torleik]
CREDITS

Icon by Tay

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

And when the sky darkens

The forest. This wooded prison seemed to be where everything began and ended all at once. Ophelia and Ktulu had lost their mother here - and a spate of murders had followed. Death begat more death and life ebbed quietly on, muted colors, ruffled and damaged plumage speaking to the pain that beat in every breast with each thrum of warmth from weary hearts. Torleik felt...weighted down with every failure to bring the killer to justice, each death driving deeper into his soul that he could not even protect those he held close, let alone others who might need his aid.

Thus his hooves found him freezing the leafy, mossy ground in the Deep Forest as he moved, Irelyn hopping from tree to tree as they went. How long his own thoughts consumed him the Bloodskald did not know, but the owl-griffin's voice broke his gloomy reverie. 'Bear.'

The tenebrific demon lifted his wintry gaze sharply. Bears were not common amongst these trees and he could only ever recall coming across one once before. A brief perusal of the situation, the appearance of a dark mare with light mane, confirmed a hazy suspicion this was the same bear as before. Torleik could not remember if he'd caught the companion's name then, but he certainly didn't have it in his head now. A sliver of guilt slipped down his spine at that, but could he really be blamed?

Just as he'd first met Ktulu and her bonded he'd also discovered a corpse that had turned out to be that of her and Ophelia's mother. The stress of that moment had obliterated any extraneous detail from his memory. Clearing his throat to alert the Constrictor and her bonded to his presence, the Bloodskald approached slowly. "Ktulu," he rumbled. "Why do you wander among these large, feathered sticks stabbing into the sky?" queried the rabicano with a small quirk of a smile. Humor, joy, these things were difficult to muster at a time such as this.

@[Ktulu]

"talk talk talk"

Art by Veradaine @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

there's a brotherhood between us. if you're not ready to give up   everything you've already lost.</style>

"Ktulu."

Her ears rotated at the sound of her name spoken in a masculine voice. The voice was familiar and it took her a few seconds to realize that it was Torleik. The first and last time she had seen him had been when they had found her mother's body. He had helped her build the pyre and his companion had lit the fire that had turned Soleil to ashes. "Torleik." She said in response as she turned to look at the dark stallion. It was no surprise that her sister seemed so taken with him. He exuded a quiet confidence and strength. That same feature made her wonder, though, if he was a ladies man with more than just a few notches in his belt.

He questioned why she was in the forest and she looked up to the tree tops. "Feathered sticks?" She'd never heard trees called such a thing before. "I used to live here." The dark mare answered. "Phi and I lead a group called The Grey here until it became too big and we had to find another home." Ktulu frowned as her gaze lowered from the treetops back to Torleik and his companion. In some ways she missed her group of misfits and in some ways she was happy that she was no longer saddled with the burden of being Chieftess. She didn't know how her mother had been able to be a leader and a mother at the same time. Soleil had been able to do it with grace. It served as a reminder of how unlike her mother she really was.

"Thank you." Ktulu said as she thought about her mother. "I don't think I thanked you properly for your help with ... mother." With Ophelia in the state she was in it would have taken Ktulu a couple of hours to build a proper pyre and even longer to find someone that could light it. "So, again. Thank you." It was not a subject that she wanted to linger on for long and so Ktulu quickly moved on to more important matters. "How is Ophelia?"

"."

@[Torleik]
CREDITS

Icon by Tay

Torleik
What can I say?

To have Ophelia's gift of looking within another's mind would have made Torleik laugh then, seeing what Ktulu wondered. A ladies' man? Hardly. He'd been with two women in his lifetime, both of them horrible mistakes.

Ladies' man?

That was rich.

The Bloodskald smiled some when the Constrictor seemed surprised at his description of the trees that surrounded them, but he kept quiet, listening further. She used to live here? In a herd? By herself? That question was answered as well. The Grey - yes, Phi had mentioned them here or there. A sadness seemed to envelop her then, one that reminded him of Ophelia and made him wish to embrace her and take away her pain.

The thanks that suddenly came forth was a surprise to the Bloodskald, and his brows furrowed. "For what?" he asked dumbly, the question answered moments later. For her mother. Their mother. "You needn't thank me, Ktulu. I did what anyone should have; what any man should have." She inquired as to her sister, and Torleik's ears flicked back slightly. "You would likely get a more effective answer from her yourself - she wanders, I hardly know where she is and I find I am only the one who remains around when she is broken enough to need someone," was his honest reply.

"She fought with the polkadotted bastard, Mauja, and came back to me wounded both physically and emotionally. It was such a pleasure to learn vaguely of her history with him in that moment." The bitterness in his words was acrid, like smoke in the air. But he exhaled, and tried to blow it away. "She was made Lady of the Basin by the God of Time. I'm not sure if you knew." His smile was tight. "Seems I am but one in a line of many males who have found Ophelia captivating." The words were not delivered in such a way as to sully her virtue, just a sad statement of his lack of original stature and importance in Ophelia's life. "I believe being lead has given her new purpose."

Shifting on his hooves, he looked at the darker sister. She was lovely in her own way, more dangerous, more violent, more exciting. "And you? How do you fare?"

@[Ktulu]
"talk talk talk"

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA

No man is an island.

The Constrictor remained silent when she was told by Torleik that she didn't need to thank him for doing what he did, that it was what any man should have done. What was there to say when her grattitude was dismissed so easily with the notion that anyone should have done the same thing? He proceeded then to answer her question about Ophelia's welfare. "Ophelia has always wandered." She murmured. "Don't take it personally." But then she grew quiet when he claimed to be the only one that remained when she was broken and needed someone. Jealousy bubbled in her chest and Ktulu forced herself to look away. It hadn't been so long ago that she was the one that Ophelia went to when she needed help. It wasn't a pleasant feeling knowing that Phi had someone else to go to, but as long as Torleik made her happy then Ktulu could be happy for her.

Mauja's name made Ktulu grit her teeth. Her hatred for the stallion had not faded since she'd choked him in his own land for hurting Ophelia. "I know." She said, her own disgust evident in her voice. "I saw her injuries and she told me that she fought with him. Its truly a pity that she lost rather than finally kill him." If her dislike for the spotted stallion hadn't been evident before it was obvious now. If Torleik took offense to it he would just have to deal with it because Ktulu would not sugar coat her words or feelings when it came to that particular stallion. "I should have killed him in the Edge when he let Deimos hurt her..."

"It was such a pleasure to learn vaguely of her history with him in that moment."

"...their history?" The dark mare wasn't sure if she wanted to know what her sister's history with Mauja was, but she was unable to keep the question from slipping past her lips. "What history?" Ktulu's greatest fear was that Torleik would say something along the lines of 'Ophelia and Mauja were together', but she knew her sister well enough to know that that couldn't have happened. What if it did, though? 'Geld him.' Eytan piped up and Ktulu couldn't agree more.

"Seems I am but one in a line of many males who have found Ophelia captivating."

Had it not been for the tone of his voice as he spoke, Ktulu probably would have taken Torleik's words as an insult. "She seems to like you." She assured the stallion. "She..." Ktulu hesitated, wondering if she should tell Torleik of her and Ophelia's conversation. She sighed then continued on. "We spoke about the Basin and she said she enjoys it there and from what I gathered part of the reason she likes it there is because of you." Ktulu's head tilted and she watched Torleik's face for a reaction. "I trust Ophelia's judgement so if she likes you then... then I like you as well. But... if you ever hurt my sister I will hunt you down."

Any good sister threatened her sister's suitors with severe bodily harm, didn't they?

"And you? How do you fare?"

"I'm well." Ktulu answered. "I'm a Captain in the World's Edge with Archibald. There was a competition and four of us competed for the position." She thought back to the battle and smiled. Not only had her teamwork with Archibald been nearly flawless, the battle had been invigorating and exciting. "I discovered a magic I never knew I had and I look forward to using it in battle again." Maybe she could use her newly discovered magic to chase her warriors around the Edge to keep them in shape.

"."

ooc://
wow, timelines xD
@[Torleik]
CREDITS

Icon by Tay

T
O
R
L
E
I
K

Though he certainly was not fond of Mauja, even Ktulu's disposition when he mentioned Polkadot's name was a surprise. "Kill him? Perhaps that would soothe her soul but...I'm not so sure. I know there is a darker side to her, but I don't want to...encourage that. I would rather take the weight of a death on myself than leave it on her," he murmured. His brows quirked at Ktulu's further words, smiling slowly. "You're a good sister," he said gently. "I can't deny the thought of you killing him long ago being...satisfying."

To have Mauja out of the picture...to have him completely gone...it was selfish as hell, but it gave Torleik a dark sort of glee. Guilt trickled in that he felt so about the death of another but his heart was tied to Ophelia now, in whatever way it had managed, and he was a jealous man. Couldn't help it. Love had never been easy for him so he held fiercely to whatever he managed to catch - and Ophelia was a soul-shattering catch. He would fight for her.

The dark sister inquired as to what he meant of their history and the black stallion shrugged, annoyed. "I know little. She said she was a fool to think he might actually love her, more or less. That he actually cared. That she was foolish and...had been pushed away by all she'd cared for and just wanted one of them to love her - and I suppose he offered some measure of care before abandoning her," he offered. The general's smile was grim, rough. "I like to think that means utterly nothing happened, for my own...sanity. Phi does not seem the type, if I know her at all, but I would not be surprised if what I think I know of her is completely off. My sense for women tends to be rocky at best, it seems. My heart speaks far too loudly for my sense to be heard."

But Ktulu reassured him that Ophelia liked him, hesitating at a point, and his brows furrowed. Was this some secret the negative-image sibling should not share? She continued, regardless, letting him know that her crimson sister found the Basin a livable place due to his presence. This was surprising and his face showed it, then transitioned to a cautious sort of hopeful happiness. "I am...I have a much better reason to remain in the Basin, now that she is there," was his honest response. The Constrictor threatened him quite clearly then, and, though it was perhaps foolish, Torleik smiled back at her.

"If I ever wound Ophelia beyond what I can repair, I will welcome the pain you offer in recompense. I do not run from my crimes." Trying to prove he was not only a good man to her sister, but a good man in general, he asked as to Ktulu's well-being because he honestly cared. It seemed the Constrictor was a well-seasoned warrior and held a high rank in the World's Edge. He frowned. So she lived with Brisa. The sour thought was quickly dismissed to focus on the now. A new magic? Fascinating.

"What magic? I suddenly came upon new magic some seasons ago, too, and it was...thrilling. I admit I have used it rarely; I am a man of practicality, not magic - though I fully believe in it and always have."

@[Ktulu]

Table by Jen

No man is an island.