the Rift

Sun Rising [Birth, Open]

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
Time had passed, and her body had grown once more to accommodate new life. It was a sensation both familiar and strange, accompanied by changes more subtle than the rounding of her belly. Emotions had mellowed and she had become quieter, more at peace with herself. Time was spent enjoying the mellow warmth of the Orangemoon sun, the gentle patter of rain upon her hide. Thoughts focused on the future, making plans and contemplating, instead of lingering on what was done and gone.

But all must pass, and her quiet interlude was interrupted by pains that became gradually stronger. In the night she stood and waited, patient for the time to grow nearer and this new life to demand entrance to the world. Amused, she contemplated the last time she'd waited out a night with labor pains. Just over a turning of the seasons past, that. A time where the expectant joy of motherhood was almost outweighed by her fear of what waited in the night. Tonight, she had nothing to fear. Though she was alone, standing in the shelter of one of the Meadow's solitary oaks, watched over only by the jade eyes of the ever-present Zaffre, she was calm.

The night was almost over when the contractions came close enough together to drive her to her knees. Laying prone made it more tolerable as her body strived to expel the child she'd carried. Even so, time blurred as her attention turned inward. Focusing on each push, each breath, the changing feel of where her child lay. Until it was done, and she heaved herself to her feet.

The golden glow of the dawn greeted her eyes and the child she'd borne. The song of birds was muted by the humming of the blue sprawled on the tree limb above her. While weary, her concern was for the tiny pale filly laying in the grass. Her dark muzzle lowered to sniff one intricately patterned wing, a low whicker escaping her in soft greeting. "Israfel, my Israfel. Daughter of the sun, so fitting for you to enter the world at the dawning of a new day."

Warm affection lit her eyes. It was too much hassle to bother with dark thoughts concerning this little filly's sire and the havoc he'd wreaked. He was not here, and there was all the time in the world to teach this innocent mind. So she busied herself with cleaning the so-pale coat of her new daughter, paler than even her first-born had been. Strange how she was reminded of both her elder children by her youngest.

An ear was kept ever tilted, however. Those near to her would know of how close to her time she'd been, would likely be drawn by her dragon's heralding of new life. Absently she wondered who would come. Mirage, her brothers? Kimber or Ricochet? Perhaps some others from Qian or Foothills? Impossible to guess, really. Time would tell.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
News travelled quickly when the minds of dragons were in constant communication. The speed of thought was all it took for images of a new life born onto soft grasses in a warm, welcoming dawn to appear within the cranium of the WeyrLeader. The time has come, then. The mare thought to her bonded, to happily sailed the skies above her. New life was here, Akaith was, as always, jubilant.

The sire of the child was known to Mirage, for though she had not lingered long enough at the meeting to hear the scathing words of Indy, her brothers had stood by the new Leader, and with many a contained emotion, listened to their beloved, former Military Leader be insulted. It had taken much self control to stand where they were after one they had once respected, Indy, turned so coldly against the departing form of the little grulla mare.

Mirage appreciated her brothers, for their control. They were volatile when on their own, Maskan was prone to becoming reclusive, silent, a shadowy observer, Madyrn, a raging monster of flaming fury. But together, they were able to maintain the steady rhythm of life, able to keep the mask of normalcy in place - for the most part, anyway. She appreciated their loyalty to herself, and also now to Smoke all the more.

The little grulla had made herself quite involved with their family, it would seem. Mirage welcomed it, for she had always been strangely attracted to this mare, always yearned to hold deep discussions of their pasts. It was like they were two creatures with a very similar path behind them, differences mostly in location and timing, and at last Helovia had allowed them to meet and inevitably work together on carving out a future for their kin.

The mare with golden eyes viewed the scene before her. The brothers of shadow and fire already walked across the Meadow, towards the mare. Each dipped his handsome crown to her, and wuffled greetings to the bundle of light fur, before they assumed customary postures of warriors, protectors. They were forever on guard.

Akaith trilled her greeting to the brothers, flying great hoops above them, dancing and frolicking with Zaffre in the space around them. Colourful greetings were given, most enthusiastically, to the mare, before the gold retreated to land on the back of her bonded, clutching onto Mirage's mane and urging her to walk faster towards the beautiful bundle of new life being dried by the diligent work of Smoke's tongue.

A warm greeting rolled forth from Mirage's maw, the mare made the rounds of the group, touching her muzzle to each of her brothers before entering the fray and greeting Smoke. Without hesitation she extended her maw to the mare as well, for she called herself a part of the Qian, she was extended family, and to be treated as such.

"A glorious day to bring forth new life. Israfel, welcome!" Tender tones orchestrated themselves within a smooth nicker, the mare pawed at the earth slightly to make it known; the Qian stood by Smoke, and her new daughter.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE

Who, in his mind,
has not probed the dark water?

They had spent the night in their own peaceful company, enjoying the silence and the cool wind that softly tugged at the yellowing grass. A recent storm had left the stallion tired both mentally and physically, not entirely prepared yet to hold on to the brighter mentality he was determined to create. There was no point in hurrying anyway, and so he had retreated to the Meadow to graze and rest, making sure that the mental wounds was given time to heal. Fajira helped him at the best of her ability, but as the night progressed he noticed how her attention began to stray. From time to time he caught her lifting the slender pristine head to the wind, listening to something that he couldn't quite perceive. He tried to ask her what was going on, but she just shrugged him off, unwilling to tell; Lace frowned at the stubbornness of his bonded but let her be, at least for the time being.

As dawn began to brighten the sky to the east, she finally stirred from her favorite place on his back. With a startling cry the dragon unfurled her wings and took to the sky, her bright voice resounding excitedly. The masked warrior looked up from his grazing and followed her with puzzled eyes, and as she urged him on with mental nudges and thrilled swoops down towards him he complied, not entirely sure what it was she wanted.
She led him over the meadow at a calm pace, towards a small cluster of trees. As they came closer Lace picked up the fresh scent of horses, most of them unknown to him. One belonged to someone he had met just recently though, and the other... It was familiar somehow, in a way that teased memories of the past.

Curiosity awakened, he cautiously slipped closer to the small gathering of horses that appeared before him. Fajira flew ahead and warbled a greeting to Akaith and to the unfamiliar blue dragon that perched on a branch above; Lace followed more cautiously, eying the gathered horses as he joined the group. A low nicker warned them of his presence, and with a strange feeling of intruding he eased himself in next to Mirage; she suddenly felt like a safe haven, secure and soothing as he nodded politely to the two stallions that also had gathered. He hoped that they wouldn't see him as trouble; they appeared more than capable, and frankly he had no desire whatsoever to test his strength. Not in a place like this.

Then the White turned his attention to the center of everyones attention, and the reason for her excitement became clear. A smile crept over his maw as he saw the mother and newborn child, a scene unfamiliar to him but heart-warming none the less. Amber eyes watched the pale foal, studied her intricate markings with interest. She was sure to grow up into a beautiful creature, no doubt; already there was something about her that claimed his attention, and not only because of the grand occasion. Then his eyes turned to the mother, and for a moment it felt like his heart was trying to skip a beat. She was familiar. He had seen her before, and nothing would be able to erase her existence from his mind. She was too intimately tied to his past to be forgotten, even though they had met only briefly and during rough circumstances. Smoke. The mare with the generous heart that had seen fit to heal his wounds even though he had been a traitor and an enemy. For a moment confusion raged through his skull, before Fajira quickly broke the trail of thought and directed his attention back to the present; there was etiquette to consider, and his silence would be incredibly rude.

"Greetings, Smoke" he said in a soft voice and bowed the head politely, not entirely sure that she would remember him. "It has been a while since we met; I hope you have been well. May I congratulate? Your daughter is very beautiful, you must be proud."

It was curious how they all seemed connected. He and Smoke had met once a long time ago, and it seemed like she and Mirage shared a strong connection with each other. And now he and Mirage had met as well, and no one knew what would come of that. It was like an invisible design, a pattern as intricate and complicated as the one that covered the little wings of the foal.

Credits
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

R I C O C H E T - - raise your GUN and it's over

Careful steps brought the dunskin upon the scene not many moments after the birth, though some had been swifter, which was of little concern to Ricochet aside being unfamiliar with them. Kimber should be just behind him. Guns had insisted they leave the herdlands and come here, his incessant barking nearly driving the Incendiary to ignite the ground under his dancing paws on numerous occasions.

"I thought this might be what had the pup all in a fit," Ricochet greeted as he parted the meadow's grasses and found the small filly nestled beside Smoke. Guns jumped on either side of Ricochet, fluffy tail wagging in pleased excitement - he'd led them here! He yipped excitedly, though Ricochet shushed him with a clip of his teeth near the dogs ear, afraid such a shrill sound would startle the new babe. Admonished Guns slunk closer to smoke, proffering his lolling tongue as aid in drying the newborn.

"Are you whole and well Smoke?" Ricochet queried, far more concerned with her safety than the status of the spiritual brat. His gaze narrowed as he surveyed the two black stallions, brothers assumedly, hovering so protectively around the grulla. Ricochet bristled, unappreciative of the strangers weaseling in on her when it was Gunslinger who she belonged to. Wrinkling his nose to hold back a snort he turned his attention to the filly. He was inevitably drawn towards her peculiar markings, although more importantly, that they marked wings. He did not hide his disgust at the filthy appendages sprouting from her sides or the nub of a horn promising to rise in time. "And it?"

Teal eyes glinted cold and deadly as they studied the weak child, its legs still wobbly from being folded. At first Ricochet had been impressed with Smoke carrying a diety's spawn, even if Ricochet held little faith in such beings, but he had assumed it to be an equine, much like the almighty Nieque. This however, this was a truly fucked up monster.
If he slayed it now he would be assaulted surely by the collected group - he'd have to get to it soon though, before it grew too big to offer much resistance.

Tail hairs swished nonchalantly as Ricochet tore his gaze away, calling Guns back to him with a stamp of his hoof. He did not want any of that slime on the child touching his dog, now or ever.

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
It just so happened that it was on that early morning, dawn's light just peeking above the horizon that Solstice was on her way back to the Foothills from the Secret Grove. Not much of a secret that place. She smiled slightly on the inside, almost as if she somehow knew she would be needed again soon. Oh how she hoped it was a daughter. She also hoped the Aaron would accept his half sibling the way she had accepted Gabriel. It was only then she felt the familer tug from not one, but two familer dragons. She almost at once changed her path to head for the Thistle Meadow.

When she arrived the gold and ivory painted fem could not help but smile. There stood the grulla dove that was once her leader both in Isilme and in the Foothills. Next to her stood a newborn, and solstice could only assume the little filly was the child of the God of the Sun. Her eyes looked over the little pale filly seeing the wings and the beginnings of a horn. "Congradulations Smoke" She could only hope that the child did not turn out like the deity children of Isilme... If she did.... well Solstice would hate to have to take her down... But she would if it ment protecting the child she hoped was now growing inside of her. Next to Smoke stood the brothers and fellow warriors Madyrn and Maskan. She nodded to the shadow pair that seemed to be teaching her son, only hoping she would have such protection when she gave birth. Next her eyes fell to Mirage, the leader of the Qian her son had to eagerly joined. She smiled to the dark mare before turning to see a face she had not seen since childhood. "Lace?" The masked silver stallion had to go on patrol one time with Soleil tagging along. Oh how she had pitied him, only wishing she could tag along and learn from him instead. He to had a dragon now it seemed. After the loss of the silver dragon egg... Solstice was giving up on ever having that special bond with a dragon. Last her attention turned to Ricochet. The look on his face said it all. He could not stand the child... How would he react if she, one of the few who saw what he did when it came to Paladin and Soleil... gave birth to a child with wings. It was possible, as the stallion who had bedded her had two sets of wings. Inside she wondered if her child, or well, as she hoped daughter would have wings as well. She would need to find someone to teach her to fly if she did. But that was not here nor now. Now was time to celebrate the new life before them.

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
It was Kali who forced us to come, eagerly flying on ahead and refusing to return to me even when I called. Still unable to convey her desires with words, she had no trouble making what she wanted abundantly clear at all times, either with a combination of avian and feline calls or simply by tugging on my mane. Today she had grabbed my amulet from around my neck, trilling urgently and flying away towards thistle meadow. My cries of protest left no mark on her young mind; with a weak sigh I lifted dished hooves and trudged after her, wondering what had excited my companion so. She kept my life interesting, my little Kali, that much could certainly never be denied.

The break from thinning woods into the Thistle Meadow was one of long shadows and soft light. Behind me, the sun was rising from his resting place, stretching greedy rays out to wash the world with illumination. Kali's happy cries echoed through the field, her joy springing from a simple place of being rather than any understanding of the event, any knowledge as to why there gathered such an odd assortment of equines on this day. I could recognize some, clinging to a great oak and fixated upon what lie beneath.

My brothers stood there, and Mirage; painted Solstice and a pair of stallions I knew not. Dragons wheeled and spun overhead, a trio of blue, white, and gold; delighted, Kali cast herself off the ground to join them, her fledgling form barely as large as the tiny White. Pale and excited, she cried out to her older compatriots, a falcon's trill of greeting and glee. Forgotten, I enjoyed watching her black-accented body as she struggled to join the dragons in their games, hesitant to invade upon the sanctity of whatever might be happening beneath the oak.

My pause lasted no longer than a minute before curiosity won out. Gold-dusted legs strode purposefully through the tall grasses, dark eyes cast upon the strangers, seeking to see what it was that caught their attention and raised their voices. I wove in close behind Mirage, pressing a loving nip on her rump in greeting, sliding in beside her and catching my breath as I realized the source of all the commotion. Upon the ground lay Smoke, the grullo mare I knew so little of but had been so impressed by at our brief interlude in the Threshold, and again by how she carried herself at the debacle that was the Foothills herd meeting. I had heard more of her from my brothers, whispers from Mirage; and I knew her to be pregnant, but the sight of the winged child lying beside her still caused my breath to catch. I had never expected this mare to bend to the sun god's will, and yet here she was beside her daughter.

She was a beautiful babe, the creamy hybrid with incredible detailing on her wings and horn, a perfect child to be born into a new dawn, and under different circumstances I would have felt as joyous as my sister, as Kali and her friends. Yet there was a tension here too, a thick disgust radiating from the dunskin stallion that was nearly palpable in the air – or perhaps my new magic simply made me more attune to such things. A glance was thrown his way, curious and subtle, dark eyes trying to pick apart the emotions that lay beneath his skin. I dared not use my magic: the experience was far too overwhelming when focused, and I had no desire to invade the life of another just now- but I had learned much about body language in my long life. There was no love lost between the stallion and Smoke's child... but that was not a problem for me to puzzle over. The urgent nudging of Kali at my mind forced my thoughts back towards the others here, her excited chattering suddenly erupting into my ears. "Little brat," I muttered fondly to the gryphon, and she ignored the insult, landing on the ground between myself and the new mother, crooning curiously at the little babe. "She is lovely, Smoke," I intone, mentally commanding Kali no touch. Kali croons, lying down beside the newborn, wanting only to play, pleased to not be the youngest anymore.

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Kimber had fallen behind Ricochet along the way from the Foothills to here, and now scampered to catch up. It was easy for her to know where to go, for there wasn't very many reasons why so many should gather in a place like this. So she stretched into an easy canter as she raced to join her family and her mother's friends, paced by the bounding, liquid form of a fox.

She essentially bounced to a stop beside Ricochet when she reached the others, intentionally bumping against his shoulder in an affectionate manner before peering past him to see her mother and her new sibling. Ears twitched forward in undisguised interest as her attention narrowed to hold only the tiny pale filly at her dam's hooves. "She's so cute!" The young grulla exclaimed, lowering her head as she stepped forward to sniff at one intricately marked wing. She was heedless of her brother's evident distaste for their new sibling. Well, her sibling, at least.

The fox that had raced with her morphed and split, slithering up one hind leg unnoticed, to reform as a pair of ferrets upon her rump. One peered back at the dunskin stud, amusement somehow evident in its gaze, while the other clambored up the yearling's neck to sit between her ears and peer down at the hybrid foal.

Belatedly Kimber remembered that there were others here to see her new sister, and glanced up with a somewhat embarrassed grin at Smoke before stepping back. Back to stand beside Ricochet, whom she nosed gently on the shoulder. Those blue eyes of hers lingered on her sister though, fascinated. It was so simple for her to accept the appearance of the pale hybrid, but she remembered her brother's lack of tolerance. It was this remembrance that had her nipping at his mane with a quiet, playful insistance.

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow
(if this does not make any sense, just poke me, as I have neglected to review this post @__@ TOO MANY WORDS)

Israfel Azardokht

Through her eyelids she can perceive light; passing through the vessels, through the flimsy skin. It is brilliant and blinding and inviting, and it swirls gaily outside the world she has just been thrust into, this new place so full of light. There had been only darkness before, far too much darkness for this daughter of light so accustomed to fire.

And so simply, with the lift of this red veil, she reveals a wholly new universe to herself, so startlingly bright and colorful - so overwhelmingly full of light! She blinks quickly, letting every color and every ray of sunshine sink into her eyes until they are no longer so fierce. Before her is a land far too vast, a meadow far too sprawling. Her cradle is a bed of golden grass which seems to squirm and writhe beneath her with a million tiny lives.

Mother stands next to her like a giant dark cloud, gentle pink tongue lapping over her pale pelt so slippery with sticky fluid. Her comically big ears tilt back to catch the gentle, lovely voice that is so painfully familiar to her, and with a little jolt of surprise, she finds herself nickering softly in reply - a new sensation which resonates through her limbs and the tips of her small wings.

Soaring black-blue over soft pink meets her eyes as they flick skywards. For a moment she is afraid of the gliding reptile, but is swiftly pacified by her mother's calmness, and neglects to notice the three black forms who approach them. The first two came with ease, their low wuffles startling the filly, causing her to unfold the spindly forelegs, pale rose-gold hooves meeting the hard ground with a slight thump. After a tense moment, though, she turns her eyes to meet them, responding with a nicker which vibrates through the pink nostrils. The third is more feminine than the two warrior-brothers, and her eyes are as golden as the dragon perched regally upon her back. Israfel (Mama named her) watches her with open curiosity as she greets Mother. When the inky mare speaks, her voice is placid, but it is also strong; something which enters the earth with its command and leaves those above it empowered.

Shortly afterward, a silver stallion appears, white dragoness in tow. He, too seems kind, and the little hybrid glances at him apprehensively, ears flicking back and forth between her dam and the three equines and their frolicking dragons.

Another voice finds its way through the gathering, but it is loud and brings an excited collie in tow. Israfel watches the dog warily as he yips happily, unaware of the malevolent scrutiny she is subject upon by his master, a tall buttermilk-colored stallion with a scar across his face. Suddenly, there is a painful tug in her belly, something which calls her attention from the friendly dog who stands by her mother now. She is compelled to unfurl her hind legs, and commands them to stand, gold-tipped tail swishing in concentration. Hooves dig into dirt, muscles roll and toil, and the princess leans back, forcing her haunches to take weight. As she rises onto her forehand, her too-skinny limbs splay with the awkward weight, threatening to buckle. Wings flap frantically, allowing the newborn to right herself before stumbling blindly in the direction of her dam, following the gentle curve of her belly with her delicate nose to find what she seeks: food.

The filly prods the underside of Smoke's legs to be certain the udder is really there, and content with the result, she begins sucking greedily, relieved to feel the hole in her newborn belly beginning to fill with the hot, rich milk.

When she is finished, Israfel detaches herself from her mother's belly, reeling backwards precariously to face the small crowd, metallic eyes wide. There is a new mare, a pied palomino. She exchanges words with Mother, as the other have, and the babe watches curiously, ears straining forward to catch the foreign sounds. But being a young foal is not easy, and soon Israfel feels the weight of her mother's milk sinking into her belly, the eyelids, formerly red veils to the world, tugging downwards. Defenseless against this drowsiness, the pale foal crawls underneath Smoke's belly and sinks clumsily to the bed of grass.

She cannot nod off, though, because a curious little creature with wings like herself peeks at her between the grass, all eyes and beak. With a dainty jerk of the head, the filly finds herself watching the creature squarely until the gryphon lays beside her, a soft noise coming from her pink nose as she attempts to find this creature of feathers and fur. There is another black mare behind her new friend, one she assumes (with what little understanding bestowed to her), is the mistress of this cub.

Suddenly, the girl is faced with a long black nose and familiar gunsmoke face, so similar to Mother's, although the eyes are blue instead of dark. She brings friends too, like so many others, two strange, long creatures composed of a swirling liquid which catches the sun in a hundred shades. With wide orange-red eyes, Israfel watches her sister slink back sheepishly beside the tense buckskin and his dog, although Kimber's gaze still remains on the tiny albino.

What a warm welcome for the daughter of fire and light, but do not expect all to receive you this way, little sun.

"talk talk talk talk talk"
slime-stock.deviantart.com | AlzirrSwanheartStock.deviantart.com | foureyestock.deviantart.com | LucieG-stock.deviantart.com

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
The sound of familiar hoofsteps lifted dark eyes momentarily from her motherly task, and a warm expression crossed the features of the grulla mare as she watched Madryn and Maskan approach with small greetings, their sister lingering briefly behind them. Dragonsong filled the air as her blue leapt to join the beautiful Akaith in a brief aerial display before settling once more on his leafy perch, while Smoke watched over her daughter and Israfel's first interactions with others.

But her attention wandered again, drawn by a silent alert from Zaffre over the presence of a white dragon he did not know, and her gaze drifted upward to watch the small dragon, before seeking out her bonded. Dark eyes fell on a grullo figure, and her mind stuttered to a halt as she grappled with what was. He was achingly familiar, so much so that her first reaction had been a bewildered thought of Gunslinger. But the dragon was wrong, the hue of his coat, his mane and tail, wrong. And then the spiderwebbing of white across his face registered, and a name was fished out of old memories with a sense of shocked recognition. "Lace!" Now the dragon clicked, as the previously most recent memory of this stallion became clear. "A very long time indeed, I never expected to run into you again, after all that happened to Isilme. But it is good to see you again." Her smile was honest, warm and welcome. Where had he gone, to avoid the catastrophe? What strange fate had brought him here, to Helovia?

Yet she was not allowed to linger on those thoughts long, for the air was disturbed by enthusiastic barking, heralding the arrival of Ricochet and Guns. Wariness briefly fluttered against her thoughts, remembrances of the conflict that had arisen the last time she'd tended a child not entirely equine with the spitfire young stallion present. But she vanquished it, replaced it with a quietly amused and patient expression as she watched the Unbroken's son. It was a vast improvement on his part as well, seeing as he barely spared a glance for Israfel before focusing on Smoke instead. "I'm quite well, Ricochet." More than well, for she had to hide her rising amusment over his very clear expressions while appraising the twins and her child. "She is in perfect health." Smoke answered to his pointed inquiry, though her expression briefly hardened in warning to him. Surely he had not forgotten the reason why they'd fought, leading to that scar on his face. She'd beat him soundly again if he even looked like he'd inflict harm on Israfel. And so would a number of others, she suspected.

Muzzle tipped to brush gently, featherlight, upon her daughter's haunches as she scrambled to steady herself after standing. Neck arched to allow a closer tracking of the filly's progress in her search for sustenance, and she stood still as a small muzzle sought the teat and found it. A small part of her awareness lingered on that as she watched Solstice approach and offer congradulations, and a smile was offered in return. Yet she wondered where the mare had been, that she had come from a direction so very different from Ricochet. Not the Foothills, obviously.

Muzzle dipped again to nuzzle Israfel's pale flank when the filly broke away to peer about. So many to greet so small a foal, and not all yet present. The grulla expected at least one other still, but was content in the moment to watch her youngest drop the grass beneath the shelter of her belly, only to come to face with another almost as young. A smile crossed her features to watch foal and griffon, and then she looked up to meet the gaze of Rishima. Unsurprised was the grulla mare to recognize a watching, calculating air around the other mare as Mirage's sister assessed the situation before offering her own compliments. "Thank you," she murmured back, meaning the comment both for Rishima and Solstice.

At last her ears caught the beat of her first daughter's hooves, and dark eyes turned to watch with some expectancy to see how Kimber would take to having a little sister, and still juggle the tempetuous will of her beloved older brother. Quiet approval had her nodding slightly as she oversaw the wordless greeting between her daughters, the elder retreating back to offer herself as buffer against a temper that might spark at any time.

"I appreciate you all coming to see me, and Israfel. It is always pleasant to have family and friends there to welcome a new addition."

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
The mare had not had as much time as she would have liked to ponder over the new friendships she had been forging. Her friendship with Smoke was built upon mutual respect, the more she learned about the mare the more she admired her, wanted to keep her closer. Watching silently as others arrived and milled about, Mirage contemplated where they would all go in the world from here. Her brothers, who keenly observed all that arrived with less than welcoming stares, would fight in the upcoming battle that would, hopefully, earn their beloved Qian a home. Lace arrived, and seemingly found comfort by her own side, which Mirage certainly did not push away. Akaith greeted the little white Fajira whom she had grown so fond of with her usual enthusiasm, and it was this more than anything that allowed the brothers, Madyrn and Maskan, to relax some more. They trusted in Akaith's judgement, and so they stoically stood guard while the silver grulla passed them, merely sparing a glance and a sampling of his scent before diverting their attention back to the present. When on duty, the brothers were vastly different when they were at play. And this was no time for play.

Mirage was curious as to the relation between Lace and the former Healer, and reflected briefly on the tale he had told her - was she the one who had healed him? The shadow mare may never know for sure, but that did not stop her from musing on the possible intricacies of it all. The unruly steed that had made such a kerfuffle at the recent Foothills meeting arrived next, and Mirage had to wonder at his relationship to Smoke, or perhaps more appropriately, Smoke's daughter, who lingered not far behind Ricochet. Mirage stood by the mare, Smoke, a silent observer, a friend promising her support against anything that might try to harm her, or the new life she had just birthed. The brothers barely had to shift their weight in warning for the stallion to put distance between himself and the bundle of new life he found so repelling, and so they remained still, too. The keen golden gaze of the little shadow mare watched all the complicated emotions that drew across Ricochet's face however, and she made a note to discuss him in the future, when things settled down, and she and Smoke were able to convene. Who knew when that would be, however?

The familiar mare, Solstice, then arrived, and once again, another seemed to recognise Lace. She wondered at how Lace would feel coming across faces who recognised him from Isilme, wondered at whether his sinful past had hurt them. It didn't matter, she decided, for she had taken claim of his responsibilities, should any wish to question his honour, they were to ask her. The mare knew him, or thought she knew him, at least, to be an honourable steed, both in morals and actions, and she would give her word for him no matter who asked. But nothing more was said by Solstice, as the little Israfel stole the limelight once more. A warm nicker escaped the brothers at the arrival of their other sister, who pushed their broad muzzles against her fondly. Mirage leaned into the gesture Rishima pressed against her, love and adoration evident in the simple gaze she gifted her with the turning of her nape. The DragonHeart nodded subtly, agreeing with the words her sister spoke in compliments to the little bundle of sunlight that laid before them. A shadow of a smile had to tug at her lips at the openly enthusiastic arrival of Kimber, and the water-creatures that kept her company.

Mirage had to wonder at the relationship between siblings, at how strong an influence Ricochet might have upon Kimber, or vice versa. The open acceptance Kimber displayed for her newest sister was heart-warming, and, Mirage hoped, infectious. The little tribrid whose father was an immortal creature that aided in the creation of the very lands they stood upon would surely have an adventurous life to lead, even if all those around her tried to prevent it. Greatness is usually earned, but sometimes the greatness of one's own blood and heart are there from the beginning. The little shadow mare could only wonder what was in store for this daughter of sunlight itself. She would be sure to keep an eye on her, at the very least. Ears pricked, having fallen to a relaxed pose for a moment while many thoughts ran rampart through her tiara, at the sound of Smoke's voice again. A genuine, honest smile that gleamed not only upon her lips, but behind her liquid pools of clear amber, decorated her features in response, as with an equally strong and sure voice, she replied.

"Of course, Smoke. You have our loyalty, and protection, whenever you need us, we will be there." In a rare display of open affection, the mare proffered her muzzle to the other mare, the one she felt was as equal to her as those of her blood-tied family, as well as a gentle caress to the youthful tribrid's poll, before shifting her hindlegs in a relaxed pose, patiently content to stand by the mare for as long as it took for strength to return to its maximum, and some semblance of peace and security to settle over the situation.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE

Who, in his mind,
has not probed the dark water?

A smile appeared on dark lips, warming the honey of his eyes as remembrance dawned on the face of the mare, so similarly colored to his own. He noticed the questions that danced within the gaze of the mother, but as she had new arrivals to greet and he found it awkward to steal the attention away from her and her newborn daughter, the stallion was more than happy to save the conversation for another time.

He slipped back somewhat, content to watch in silence as more horses arrived. They equines for the most part, and a faint sense of curiosity brought him to wonder about the father of the pale child. With her wings and the bump on the forehead that suggested a horn would be arriving with growth, he must have been different indeed - and it appeared that the girl, Israfel, was taking after him in appearance.

As words of greeting and congratulations were exchanged, the white little dragon eventually returned and landed upon the back of her bonded, too curious about the new little life to maintain the play with Akaith. Not close enough to Saffre to dare invite the impressive Blue to play, she settled with watching the white little Kali as the gryphon acquainted itself with the white-and-gold, misty eyes alert and longing to join in. She didn't though, aware of the crowd and the affect it might have on the hatchling and the mother, who no doubt would be at least somewhat protective against curious dragons.

Lace couldn't help it. This was clearly a gathering of family and close friends, and he felt more than a little intrusive where he stood. He believed himself to stick out like a sore thumb and tried to make himself as small as possible, quiet and unassuming. It wasn't easy, what with his bright coloration, the gilded burn marks upon the back and the curious little dragon that scurried back and forth, following the movements of dragons, horses and other companions with excited trills and purring cries. It had been a long time since he was surrounded by so many people, and it was safe to say that the vagabond felt more than a little overwhelmed.

Credits
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

R I C O C H E T - - raise your GUN and it's over

The company here was in little favor of Ricochet's point of a view, a signal from the twin brothers a pointed sign of that. Snorting dismissively Ricochet turned away from the mother and babe, teeth barely cutting back his anger as it festered on his tongue like an itch that needed to be spoken.

"May she continue to be..." Ricochet spoke flatly in response to Smoke speaking of her health, yet there was a shadow of a threat to the tone in which he uttered it. Likely only she would catch it and know its true heart, though his dislike was plain enough, as was his restraint.

Sighing in exasperation Ricochet turned and abruptly departed, dog at his heels and sister left to come or stay. She certainly seemed content enough to snuggle with the freak and he worried that Smoke had corrupted her too much too soon.