the Rift

[OPEN] Paradise

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
She told herself often that she did not miss the long, almost epic journey into the southern heat; that the short trip home to Hidden Falls was both kinder, and more attractive to those seeking refuge after a long time abroad. These were bandaids across guilty, gaping rifts; rivers of regret swollen and stretched beyond repair. She was living breathing scar tissue, skin so brittle and damaged.

Sooty-tipped ears followed the other mare as they passed beneath the delicate drape of long willow leaves – she was perceptive, understanding that ran so much deeper than the caress of her gentle eyes. Africa knew that agony often lingered long after the skin had healed, like mud after the rain; but just as mud dried, so did memories dull. Her own memories often flared back to the surface during sleep, harrying, heart-wrenching nightmare’s that she was not easily pulled from. Nevertheless, those heinous creatures of the north had not broken her soul, times were changing and with every day that passed, a little more of the bitterness that had choked her flaked away.

Ashen face bobbed thoughtfully as Menagerie continued, introducing both herself and a sweet nickname that had perhaps been given in times far fonder than those which had dealt her such a cruel exterior. "Minnie it is," the Starry-Eyed smiled warmly.

Where the sun fell in thicker shafts between spindly old pine foliage, Africa quickened her step as a courtesy, so that her company might not have to endure the very obvious discomfort she did, unnecessarily. Great, lush oaks too spread their awning-like arms through the forest (she was a veteran in these parts, the labyrinth of trees was almost as familiar as the fertile oasis in Dragon’s Throat), and the dappled mare tried her best to step wherever their dense shade fell. Silas, who was gliding between heavenly thermals above, watched with a conscientious eye and helped his bonded a little, maintain both direction and shadow.

Africa began cautiously when the bay mentioned rumour of absolute harmony – she almost laughed...

"I’d like a place like that to call home too!" ...where the land hell not stains of blood spilt through war, disease ravaged no body and lungs breathed only kind compassion into the world – yes, paradise was perhaps something they all sought. "Your suspicion is sensible; Helovia isn’t a peaceful land. In recent years darkness has plagued the world, sickness and butchery that would make even the most battle-hardy soldier squirm. There are places more pleasant than others of course and despite what you witnessed just now, the Hidden Falls herd are among the kindest of all."

While she walked, the one-winged mare spoke devotedly of her home, and the mountains beneath which it was nestled loomed ever closer through the shifting canopy ahead. Africa explained the ranks (a knowledge base that she had been building since her own arrival months ago) in detail; spoke of Midas the Ascended with a subtle fondness, and of Ghost the Cadaverous who seemed still mostly a mystery. She told Menagerie of the God of the Earth and those highest in each class who wielded His magic, blessed to the lands they called home – of herself, serving Earth Medic.

Though she mentioned the three neighbouring herdlands, north, south and west, and the Wilds in brief, she had not the confidence to say just how sturdy relations were between them – naturally Africa shed wariness for those living in the Basin with horns set upon their skulls (because it was they who had stolen her flight).

Not two hours later, the roar of cascading waters had filled her ears and as the trees of the Threshold thinned around them, the great granite cliffs skirting the hidden territory were bulging from beneath the greatest waterfall in the whole of Helovia (according to her). With no shade to cover the last leg of their journey, Silas beat particularly his wings at the request of his considerate beloved, and the high sun began to sink very suddenly into the leafy western horizon – dusk fell across them, and with it came dimness that Africa prayed would ease Menagerie’s pain.

She guided them then beneath tumbling water, through white clouds of mist, and after, along the rugged cliff-path that lead deep into the beautiful region. "This is home." she sighed with a growing smile. The trip on foot had been long, and it was not often that she entered the Falls in that fashion (ordinarily she took form as a parrot and scaled the mighty cliffs through the air). She stopped when the cover of another forest had formed around them – just near the Falls Meadow, which was easily the most central point in the herd land.
Africa
@[Menagerie]
*Note: Silas used his ability to alter the time of the day. You will be able to see the herd map here, once your name is green :D

Menagerie Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ah, what a treat it was to hear my old nickname used in such a fond way by vocals other than my own. It had been such a long time since I had really held someone's company, and that of the mare Africa's was quite nice. She seemed to hold such a lovely soul about her, though damaged she surely was, she was clearly fighting back those hardships. I admired that. It had been long since I had bothered to fight my dark thoughts about myself, to be confident in who I was. Perhaps this new place in Helovia would give me the start I needed to gain understanding in how to become one with my spirit once again, rather than just wishing I could be someone else.

The mare was kind in her steps, keeping to the shadows, and passing quickly through the sunspots in an attempt to help me feel more at ease. I was grateful, and a small smile graced my lips for the first time in months. Africa was the understanding sort, I could tell. Gentle and kind and thoughtful. How long it had been since I had known that kind of company I dared not think about, but I was glad that I had it now in the form of this delicate mare.

She seemed just as entertained by my rumors as I had been when I'd first heard them. She told me in her sweet vocals that it had been a long time since complete peace, that there were plagues, sickness, that Helovia had known the darkness of war in recent times. Yet, despite this, she gave me a glimmer of hope in the words that told me that the Hidden Falls, where she was taking me now, was of the kinder sort. That pleased me, though my pelt twitched as I remembered that the strange Oxy was also a part of her kind herd. Well, if there was a place for a beast like him in such a world, perhaps I would fit in just fine.

Africa spoke of many things, about her leaders, Midas and Ghost, of the great things that they had done, of the ranks that this land held, of magic and of the Earth God. I snorted softly, fondly. It had been so long since I had held faith in any sort of deity. Perhaps it was time I started doing so again. She spoke with such fondness of everyone she brought up, of the tasks each were given, of her own status as a medic. It was wonderful to hear about these things. It made the ache in my belly that longed for normalcy and acceptance ebb away. Helovia need know nothing about my past. I could start fresh, in a herd that would understand, if they were as kind as miss Africa.

We walked and she explained things to me as I listened quietly, delighted to hear about this place I may yet call home. The trees thinned in their trunks and ahead I could see the glory of the home that Africa praised. Towering granite cliffs came up on either side, and massive falls roared in my single audit. The froth that licked at the edge of the pools, the delicate mist that touched the tips of my pelt in a cool caress was something I had not experienced in years. I welcomed the fine touch with closed orbs as miss Africa explained this was home, that these were the greatest falls in all of Helovia. I believed her. Right now, there could clearly be no better place in the world.

When I opened my orbs again, the world had turned from mid-day to dusk, and I wondered if I had really lost track of time in our walk. I didn't question it, though, as this meant that the walk across the last leg in the light would not be so bitter to my skin. We entered the froth and I could have stood there for hours in the chill touch of the water, but we moved forward into the cliffs. I admired the darkness, lit by Africa's mane and tail fire one we were deep enough inside that the light from the opening had vanished.

When we came to a stop, trees had formed around us again, and I was in a new land. She spoke of home, and I smiled softly. "It is a beautiful home, Africa. Thank you, for showing me. For speaking of your herd, of your lands, for..." I paused, thinking of the words as I watched her figure. "Thank you for accepting me as I am, and showing me such a kindness." I carefully bowed my tiara to her in a gesture of thanks, grateful that my forelock hid my orbs enough that she may not see the tears that pricked the edges of my vision.

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
THE POISONED YOUTH
The burning sun fades over yon cliffs, dying rays cast a gilden amber glow (a hue that reminds me of molten iron) as our blessed orb is smothered by the horizon. Those greenblue shadows grow long and eventually fade. Within the quiet timber, two slumbering souls are ignorant to this world. Tis the flaming child of daylight that wakes first and takes notice of the dim light. She puffs her breast and cries into the wind, a shrill, musical sound that wasn't entirely unpleasant.

Pitless gems open, hazy at first but growing increasingly sharp by the time my head has slowly risen from its bowed position. These hollowed bones along my spine crackle and pop as stiff limbs move this body slowly from beneath an overhead canopy of green. "We overslept..." my tone is flat, groggy. With distaste I glance to the painted sky and frown. Crown then swivels round, turning to peer back into the bleak forest. Fina is also glancing around with growing anxiety.

Where was Neve?

_____

She'd grown bored watching her friends sleep. Grown tired of preening her feathers and picking at the ants in nearby trees...With a wink and silent smile their little ice princess decided to go off in a hunt for other delights -- specifically wild strawberries that grew abundantly in their valley. Though it was often absent due to eager mouths feeding from the bounty before said fruit had reached its peek. She traveled to the cliff side on the entrance end of Hidden Falls. Searching earnestly for a worthy prize.

Thus the nature of a hunt; the little girl found nothing 'edible' to satisfy her desires. Yar, but she did find 'someone'. Silas and Africa. A youthful grin emerged, full of delight that only children could feel. She soars down onto an overhead branch and grasps a loose twig to the center of one talon. With an exasperated motion she swings it toward the star born avian.

Would he fancy a game? Fina sometimes played 'catch the stick' in private...but yar, that was supposed to be a secret.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased
Africa was turning, even before they had stopped completely. Even through her years as a Dragon (Citizen, Diviner, Sultana...), the dappled mare had found great pleasure in introducing the newest herd mates to their home, helping them settle and giving them at least the most solid foundation to begin with. She wanted Menagerie to stay long term, to watch her succeed – to shun the suffering she had known, and rise above that hardship.

As the two mares settled beneath the tree line, there seemed little need to call back the sun out of its bed. Silas was far fonder of the deepest night hours too, less so the dazzling brightness and taxing heat of the day. Silent wings dipped through still-warm air and he swooped into the lofty, bristly embrace of an old raggedy juniper; sharp lilac eyes peering ever down across his beloved. Although pangs of hunger resonated through his small frame, while she lingered with the new bay, he would remain close – a star-spangled sentinel ever on duty.

Laughter – as delicate as a babbling brook – spilled from smiling lips and Africa dared nearer to Menagerie’s better side with fondly twitching lips. "You don’t have to thank me, Minnie." Always demure and squirming wildly beneath the gushing tide of the other’s appreciation, she dipped her pale face also. "I’m always around if you need me. Down there,” flames danced as the elegantly bowed neck beneath pulled her face to gesture in a south-easterly direction. "...There are caves that I nest in. You’re always welcome, you know."

There was a flutter of wind-touched feathers, scrabble of claw against branch, and Silas glanced one sharp up towards the very pinnacle of the tree; skull tilted awkwardly. A twig hurtled down and the zephyr’s puffing breast rumbled unhappily as it bounced off feathers drawn tightly together, instantly, like a shield. The icy child that seemed always these days to follow Fina was gazing upon him with bright, childish delight and his gaze narrowed carefully at her. Crouching across coiled stilt-thin legs, the Roc hopped up to a limb opposite, higher, and began chewing and bending at another fixed, living twig – perhaps not altogether understanding her request.

He was curious though, there was no mistaking that.
Africa
@[Menagerie], @[Midas]

Unregistered

The mare lowered her head to me, and I felt sudden warmth come through me, as well as confusion. I knew that it was done as a sign of respect, but what had I done to deserve it? I was taken aback as she described to me where she would spend her nights, and it took me a moment to process what was going on. It had been so long since I had been in a herd, since I had actually been wanted that it was hard to actually take the kindness at face value. I wondered if she was pulling my leg, if she might be joking. She had been completely genuine so far, and so there was no need for me to be as skeptical as I was, but still I found myself questioning.

I watched her as I raised my head with wary eyes as I wondered to how to respond to her. What would be appropriate? How was I suppose to address her, here, in this place? Did I belong? Was this right? I began to second guess myself and I wondered if she could see it in my clear orb and the struggle on my features if she dared to look at me directly. I looked away, contemplating what I should do, pillars shuffling awkwardly as I ran over my options. I desperately wanted to stay here, to be welcomed, but my mind went back to the strange Oxy beast and what he was like and how he had treated me. That was the treatment I was much more familiar with, even if he had gone about it in a strange manner.

Finally, I whispered in coarse tones, "Is there any place you would like me, that would be appropriate for me to bed for the night? I'm not sure exactly the protocol you have for outsiders here. I will gladly simply go to the farthest reaches of your land if that is what is preferred." I didn't want to look miss Africa in the eye while speaking. It had been so long since I'd had such pleasantries, and I questioned if I was just dreaming again. This certainly wouldn't have been the strangest dream that had ever hurled around my cranium and bounced inside my brain.

I shuffled again, finally making a point to take note of the winged creature that had been following us. I wasn't sure why it had the intention of sticking so close to miss Africa, but this land was strange and perhaps that was part of the strangeness that had yet to be explained to me. There was a secondary one, I thought, but I couldn't quite see through the branches from the corner of my eye. After all, the avian wasn't my focus for the moment. Currently it was figuring out what to do with my situation. It wasn't that I wasn't grateful for the offer, it was simply that I feared should anyone see me they would bolt the other direction, or worse, curse me. I'd been alone far too long to deal with that kind of rejection after the hope that miss Africa had brought to me today.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

MIDAS
THE POISONED YOUTH

Her lifeless twig bounced harmlessly to his clenched feathers and fell below. The tiniest beginnings of a frown pinched her lips together, a child wouldn't be so easily deterred though. Even if the 'serious' looking starborn Zephry made no move aside from turning his leering gaze to her shining gems. The ice princess croaked mild encouragement, already poking at another dead stick hanging broken and adjacent to her branch.

Yar. It never dawned on a solo purpose mind that this playmate would be uninterested in the sport children partook. With an everlasting beam of support, Neve tossed another prize into the air above them both. She caught it fluidly between her ivory curved beak when it came slicing back down. A second later she snapped the piece to Silas. Dual ivory's spread, icy pinions showing signs of maturing feathers. Flapping made the arid breeze feel suddenly cooler, "P-ay!" she hummed in the tongue of their species. A language that Fina rarely used. Yar, their bond was often conversation enough for the phoenix.

_____

Meanwhile...across the meadow.
_____

It quickly became apparent that our bonded babe was not around. I prodded the tie with my mind, feeling for a sense of location or even mild purpose. She was distracted and thus gave no reply to insistent nudging. Fina sighed out her frustration, talons tightened savagely into the bark of her perch. Bruising the wood. Flaming feathers widened, shinning and flashing a strong, hot hue. She sprang into the air. I followed, dragging myself away with one final fleeting glance toward our hollow.

Deceased
As the other mare hesitated, the sour tinge of mistrust coloured her scarred features, yet pale, creamy eyes were not moved from their tender caress. Empathy swelled like a molten river through her coursing bloodstream and lean, white forelegs drew a little nearer. "You are not an outsider..." Africa almost giggled, touched by Menagerie’s painful insecurity. Velveteen grey nose slipped forward to bump against bay flesh playfully. "These parts are free for you to roam and explore. If you like I can show you around in the morning?" Tone was light and without prejudice; she too was an oddball in this world, but her skin had thickened well over the years. Now the Starry-Eyed appeared hardly to notice her disability.

One hind hoof tipped casually as her weight rocked to the side, and thoughtfully she considered her company’s quite evident discomfort. "There are two caves side by side. Why don’t you take the other, Minnie?" A smirk pulled the corners of her mouth upwards, and again her face turned towards the slope that curved down towards the territory’s cells. She knew that if ever a prisoner was taken, both would need to be abandoned, but for the meantime Africa was more than comfortable nesting beneath the mountain.

The slight snap of kindling overhead drew the interest of swivelling ears, and briefly distracted, the dappled mare’s gaze lifted to find Silas.

The star-spangled zephyr had given up his endeavour to wring the living twig from its host. Neve was probing about for another of her own, and lilac eyes watched intently as she selected a dead swinger and ripped it clean off the branch – a brooding purr resonated through his chest. Pale beak hurled it clear into the air beyond the tree’s peak and Silas skipped higher too, to watch the frost-feathered girl snatch it again mid-fall. Raven feathers parted to lift his starkly different suit into the breeze after her, listening as she hummed in their shared native tongue. He croaked, feigning interest, that which the language of his body betrayed easily. Impatiently, the Roc snapped his hooked beak and pumped scaled black toes in waiting.
Africa

Unregistered

It took me a moment to realize what had happened. Miss Africa professed that I was anything but an outsider, and then the strangest thing of all.
She touched me. Just a playful nudge, a bump of her maw against my shoulder, but it was startling. It was so... gentle and pleasing. I hadn't been touched in years, much less have had gentle and patient contact like the one just given to me. I stood stunned for a moment, shifting my pillars as I looked to her with awe clear on my features. She'd dared to touch me, looked at me as if she didn't see my scars at all. Tears pricked at my orbs, and I didn't bother to try and hide them at this point. I was so grateful to hear these words fall from the mare's lips, so grateful to be looked upon like a normal equine, like a woman of beauty. My heart ached with softness for this creature before me, who was so kind to me.

She spoke about giving me a tour of the area in the morning, and of a second cave, which she offered to me for sleeping. I dipped my head, grateful for the offer. "Thank you, miss Africa. I believe I shall take you up on that offer, if you don't mind me being forward. I am ever so grateful to you." Such words were absolutely true, more than perhaps she could know. It had been far too long since I had been given such kindness I was almost unsure of how to be grateful, how much thanks would be enough, and what would seem like begging if I went too far. All I could safely say I knew was that, for however long I was here in Helovia, I now had a home, whatever that could possibly mean to me and to those who would come to know me. I gave a soft smile. "I believe, miss Africa, if you don't mind my bluntness, but I would be honoured to consider calling you my first friend." I bowed my head slightly, smile still upon my lips, I almost thought perhaps I might look beautiful.

As I lifted my head, I saw the two avians among the trees, participating in some sort of twig dance, I supposed. They clearly were not the kind that I could see that would cause immediate harm. They seemed playful, even. I cocked my head and made a note to ask miss Africa about them in the future, perhaps when we could go more in depth. For the moment, I was simply overwhelmed with contentment, with joy swelling forth in my breast like it would burst forth.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

MIDAS
THE POISONED YOUTH
She sprang from the branch. Awkward compared to an older sibling, graceless compared to him; yet airborne regardless. Neve dove, and like an owl reaching for his mouse, she stretched those toes apart to grasp at her twig which was dropped a moment ago. Evidently having practiced before now, the snowy child effortlessly snatched it up long before yon ground came near. Pitching up, her wings flapped hard, ballooning to create lift, altitude. She soared around Silas in a wide arch, grinning with pride all the while. That prized limb clutched gently within one scaled foot. Without warning that pared foot released it, high above his head. Letting it fall without aim to retrieve it, a fierce, competitive light dawned in those predator eyes.

A show speed. Agility. He would have to be quick to claim.

____

Fina soars above. While I scan the land below. Yon meadow of sweet blades tickle my undercarriage, urging me to linger awhile in the cool eve; 'enjoy life,' the wind aims to whisper as it plays with a few stray ivory tendrils that lay across my neck. 'Let those diamonds appear and our world move on as it always would.' A distant call captures my attention, overhead a return of that cry is fevered with relief and annoyance. A soft whinny escapes the fleshy folds of my throat, though these patched limps push through the tangled web of twisting annuals seemingly unhurried...

Crossing over to the far side of our meadow, my stretching shadow vanishes as the envelop of evening descends. Eyes widen, capturing the dying glow. Fina glides to my rump, talons dancing with intentional gentleness over the ivory flesh that had (over many years) toughened to those knife like toes. Yar, the sound of voice. Female.The phoenix scoffs, unable (as usual) to contain her distaste with Neve's choice of playmate.

One cloaked figure is instantly recognized; a fond smile chases remaining grogginess aside, "Hail," I call to them (for the grey lady stood near another,) "and good eve to ye two." Crown dips into a simple nod, gilden gems rise to regard them, and lift momentarily higher to peer at the alabaster female who fluttered high above.

Deceased
The brush had been the easiest of gestures for the one-winged mare. She had always been an affectionate soul, intimate, and perhaps that was one of the reasons so many hearts had been broken in her care. Contact was a thing she gave freely, once upon a time she had given it without concern or forethought, but in more recent times, there was a tendency to hold back. Menagerie was different however was different – to begin with she wasn’t pumped to the brim with ravenous testosterone. The one-winged mare felt a strong affiliation with the wounded soul beside her - she whose skin was glossed with equally horrific scarring to her own. Naturally and benevolently she offered both the true warmth of her heart and foundations for a deeply rooted friendship.

Long dark-grey ears wavered uncertainly for a moment as she observed the astonishment riding the bay mare’s expression, but all too soon it was choked from existence, as a heart-wrenching glaze of emotion reddened Menagerie’s eyes. The thankful words which followed roused a bright grin to dark, velvet lips and behind them glinted the pale marbled white of her teeth – as the other mare continued, the beam broadened. "Sweet of you to say," the dappled mare crooned, "let there be many more too." An airy, girlish giggled ensued and she moved again to nuzzle her friend. She thought of her own friends suddenly, and the many fond faces that she had let fade into the grip of oblivion...

There were just a few (Menagerie, no doubt among them), that had a lingering presence in her heart.

Beyond the canopy overhead of the two mares, mauve eyes watched carefully as the lithe little zephyr demonstrated her ability – and the game to which Silas had been lured. Feathers sliced dramatically through the air as she collected the twig moments before it found its destiny among others across the forest floor. Neve’s crisp, bright hues stood out like a full midnight moon against both the undergrowth and the dimming dusky sky - she was as beautiful as a child’s dream. But the Roc was not for one second distracted from the competition, his keen nocturnal gaze was set unwaveringly upon the small limb, and when her scaled talon released its grip, he dove like a bear over salmon. Excitement spurred by rivalry cried through the air, but it did him no justice he was not as cunning as she and plunged far too quickly. Silas had never hunted like sister and fell with grappling claws into the leaf-litter beside side.

Narrow eyes scurried to find her; to see whether she had noticed his blunder, but instead they found the blazing light of Fina upon the Gallant’s rump – and he stiffened instantly with ornate crest-feathers lifting properly.

Africa turned slowly, skin beneath pale-ash flushing with hot crimson and a playful smile danced through her features. "Midas," she greeted in return, undeniably happy to see the painted Czar. "This is Minnie, from the Threshold." Softly fluttering nostrils which had been extended to welcome him forward, wandered towards the scarred mare, and her gentle eyes offered when they found her, naught but steady encouragement. "Midas is the leader of our herd, the Falls’ Czar." Of course there was far more to him, but she would not clutter this meeting, or her new friend's mind beyond need.
Africa
@[Menagerie]