the Rift

[OPEN] Fill in the blank spaces.

Ráeru Posts: 41
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 4 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Frostie

I'll carry you on my shoulders, never set you down.
Ferry you through the coldness, never let you down.
Often the yearling told herself that she did not miss her mother. This of course brought up the question; 'which mother?' Which mother was she trying to make her heart forget to miss? No...forget to love? The one who had carried her, birthed and named her? Or the one who had nursed her, fought for her life and raised her? She told herself often that it was greedy to have two mothers as everyone else only got one. So she would try and stop missing one. Now she wasn't as dependant on Hotaru, Ráeru was often out exploring the seemingly ageless land. Yet she would still return to Hotaru as often as possible intent on being a good daughter. Desperate to prove just how thankful she was to the creamy mare for saving her live.

Ráeru knew she owed her life to Hotaru.
It was a heavy burden to carry at times.

Perhaps it had been in her blood all along, The Basin had called to her literally from day one. From time to time Hotaru had brought Ráeru down into the depths of The Basin, yet she had felt trapped...unable to escape the sinking feeling that this was where her birth mother was supposed to be! Here was where they were meant to live together, play, lear, grow, argue and fight. Bright blue eyes studied The Basin before her, the mechanical horse that guarded them had always given her the chills. It's metal was covered in a light snow and as she passed by it Ráeru could have sworn that it's empty sockets had followed her movements.

There was no doubt that this frozen land was beautiful. Each time she had stayed for a short visit Ráeru had her breath taken away. But this time? This time she was going to stay, meet the souls her birth mother had known and begin a life here. Appearance wise she resembled her mother immensely, the pale coat and delicate frame. She was also crowned just like her mother but it was her eyes that where the dead giveaway. The final trait her mother passed down to her.

Pale ears pricked up at the sounds of life deeper in the land. Setting each glass hoof firmly on the ground, the pale girl began to make her way. It didn't matter if the other soul had moved on by the time she arrived, what mattered was her intent to stay. As she walked the vivid memories of her mother's death flared back to the surface. For so long they had been asleep, shunned by Ráeru who did not wish to relive the heart-wrenching nightmare that she was not easily awoken from. Perhaps the scents of The Basin had clung to her mother's coat during that horrifying day. Maybe it was just her blood finally accepting her ties to this land. The sounds, scents and images flooded her mind casing the yearling to stop and take deep calming breaths, trying to force the key back into the lock.

The vile breath burned her nose as he spoke.
Fight it! The Basin swam in and out of focus.
The cold empty brown eyes turned to her . “They don't get any less ugly.”
It's not real, it's not real! Her breaths were short, terrified and painful.
Cruelly the memories remained to torture her. Franticly shaking her head Ráeru quickly tried to build the walls back up in her mind, the wall she put up to keep the past memories asleep.
'“You're a special kind of bitch, you know, to poison me and then assault me and pretend you did neither.” The green the stained his mouth...his horns though...and as he used his weight to crush her mother, the fright that had frozen her body...cracking and snapping of her mothers bones.

"ENOUGH!"

Blinking a few times Ráeru struggled to stand straight again, during the onslaught she had fallen. Often her mental strength did not match her psychical. "It's going to be okay." Her voice floats through the land. "I'm home now." Scars fade with time, just like these memories eventually would.

@[Hotaru] @[d'Artagnan] @[Aviya]

Aviya Posts: 59
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
[Image: 544db86c3336b]

ENOUGH!

The sound stirs the princess from her sleep. For the night, she had tucked herself away in her father's cave instead of her own. It had been hard for her to sleep alone, and the need to be curled up next to another being was a throbbing pain in her chest. However, when she opened her eyes to survey the Poisoner's cavern, she realized she was alone. Sighing, the pale-faced woman pulled herself to her cloven hooves. She shook her body, throwing off her sleep. Momentarily she looked down at the lynx pelt, so tattered and worn, barely but a memory beneath her as she slept. Tamlin. Another sigh escaped her lips and she pushed herself out into the Basin land. Lifting her head up, the bitch's eyes moved across the tundra, searching for the source of the scream. She moved forward, walking with a feminine grace that hid strength, power, and dignity in its depths. She was as deadly as she was beautiful, it seemed.

Aviya walked several yards before her eyes fell on the source of the sound.

"Mother..." Aviya breathed, her voice lost in the wind. Her world stopped, her cleft hooves following suite. In the distance stood the perfect image of her mother...no...this being was different. Confusion bristled along Aviya's crest and her brows furrowed, but as the girl in the distance moved, Aviya's jaw dropped and her eyes widened. Glass horn. White body. Holy shit... In an instant, Aviya was galloping across the valley, her home, kicking up dirt and grass in her run. "SISTER!" Aviya screamed, a smile--so true and beautiful--ripping across her pale lips. "D'ARTAGNAN! FATHER! ARAMIS!" She screamed again, closing the distance between her and the cremello girl. Aviya trotted around the yearling, a circle, as she let her eyes wash over her.

"You're alive! The last daughter of Kou and d'Artagnan! Where have you been? I thought--I--what is your name?" Aviya, for the first time since her foalhood, was flustered because of her excitement, and she stammered her words with the joy and relief mixing between in her tone.

@[Hotaru] @[Ráeru] @[d'Artagnan]

Chance is the only game I play with, baby
We let our battles choose us

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

d'Artagnan
the nightshade
</style>

It was Aramis who picked up the distress signal. The ever-alert hound was tracking down a moose when he heard shouts echo across a normally sleepy Basin. It wasn’t just any shout either; it was a familiar voice of a white-faced mare and a scream from a family member who caused the cur to halt his hunt, casting about a keen glance. What was happening that had made Aviya so distressed? Of the entire dynasty she was the last he’d thought to hear shouting with such vigorous urgency. Her tendency to be independent and wild meant that Aramis paid little heed to whether she was well or not, he knew she would be, the world would be a very dark day when the eldest daughter of Nightshade fell into ruin. Yet, it was her voice he had heard so clearly and the hound was quick on his paws to return to d’Artagnan.

Aviya calls! It sounds urgent. The bonded alerted his cherry coated friend to the live events occurring to which the Mender looked up with a perplexed expression that mirrored that of Aramis’ from earlier. Intrigued and a little concerned that perhaps the killer of Kou had come for his daughter too, d’Artagnan made haste across the Time Lords land with his gaze intent on the horizon before two figures came into view and the shade felt his heart skip. Ráeru!

He pressed forwards at speed until he was upon them with a wild gaze set across his features. Cloven hooves slid his body to a halt and Aramis padded forward, looking at Aviya with a quick examination before moving on to the glass child at the centre of attention. "Ráeru" the Doctor exclaimed, unknowingly answering his eldest’s question, gazing at the pale skin and blue eyes before his face cast away. Despite his gruff demeanour and rugged appearance, d’Artagnan struggled to look at his child properly as everything about her was Kou. It was like she had been born again, but in the end he knew she wasn’t the Nurse and that his lover was indeed dead. The poor babe was a walking reminder of how cruel fate (or karma) had been and yet, on the flip side, how fortunate still that she remained alive.

Taking a gulp of air, the shade turned back to his brood and forced his mismatched eyes to look upon his youngest. "You… look just like your mother" his voice trembled.

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!

Hotaru the Valkyrie Posts: 295
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3hh :: 6 Years 3 Months HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alice :: Royal Hellhound :: Acid Brit
Hotaru

She never should have left her alone.

Her lungs burn as she runs, a sudden fear clutching her heart when she had not found Raeru where they'd agreed to meet last. In the year they'd spent together, the child had grown, and she could easily take care of herself without Hotaru's mothering. Still, after everything that had happened with Arya, it had been made clear to her that evil would always strike when she least expected it. A yearling she may be, Hotaru's instincts had kicked in when the field had been empty of the young child. Though she'd never been close with Arah or her daughters, the memory of Confutatis was always lingering in the back of her mind. Hotaru always kept her daughters concealed, so that they could not be used against her. She would tear the world down to its roots if her babies were ever harmed, ever held captive as she had been. Though they were growing, she still found them to be children, and though she was reluctant to coddle them that was likely what she'd end up doing, so much had she seen in the world.

"Raeru!" she called, loud and bordering on frantic. Her limbs were warm with energy, with adrenaline, with fear she could not allow herself to succumb to. Land blurred beneath her as she scoured the earth for the missing child. Her eyes were magnetized to the horizon, where a shadowed group was standing. Could they perhaps have seen her? It was the most optimistic question she could create, because if they had done anything else, if they had taken her baby, she would kill them all. Nothing would stop her from tearing them apart, and setting the world on fire to ruin the earth she could never stand to live on again.

Only one form is familiar at first glance, and it is her daughter, being circled by an unfamiliar mare. "Raeru!" she called, limbs pumping harder as she raced for her daughter, distrust in her eyes. Still, they were in Basin lands...surely nobody would wish harm on her unicorn daughter? Slowing, she glanced distrustfully at the other two, only to realize that she knew the stallion. "d'Artagnan?" she spoke tentatively, moving slowly to Raeru's side.

Their words began to ring hollow in her ears, and her ears shifted to half-mast in discomfort. Assured that Raeru was not harmed, she subtly sidled closer. "You're her father?" she asked quietly, eyes settled on the stallion with the glass horns. Raeru knew that Hotaru was not her real mother; the she-wolf had never been dishonest with her in the year she'd spent raising her. It was only fair that she share their story, little as she desired to speak so much.

"I found her, in the Fields, half-dead. I nursed her, as I'd just had Arya. I couldn't find anybody who looked like her, whom I knew...I've raised her as my own this past year." There, it was put out there for them to dissect. Would they really hate her for saving the life of their daughter and sister? For keeping her safe, making her feel loved when she'd already lost so much? Hopefully d'Artagnan would remember her, young as she may have been when they'd first met.

"I...I'm sorry. If it had happened to me..." her eyes turned toward Raeru, and she gave a soft, loving smile. Shaking her head, her eyes turned serious as they lifted to d'Artagnan. "I know I'm not her mother...but I love her as my own." Please don't take her from me. How would Raeru even react to all this? To finally meeting a family she'd never known she had, as a yearling? Hotaru looked down at her, brow crinkling in concern. Where would this take all of them?

Ugh that was gross and late I'm sorry

lady lazarus, i rise
Credit
[Image: 515265280ffff]

::Strong like the sea is stormy::

Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Frostie

One minute she was alone, battling the demons of her past and then all she became aware of was someone yelling, and the strange mare was looking directly at her. Watching the speed at which she was being approached caused Ráeru to back peddle. It wasn't long until she was being surrounded by this unfamiliar mare who was calling her sister. The mare had a white face and a dark body, with her back stalks painted white again and her hair coloured with a similar ivory colour of her own. Yet it was the mare's eyes that called to her, they shared the same colour. After being circled by the mare, Ráeru offered a confused smile. So many questions were being fired at her, but Ráeru remained in a stunned silence. Never before had she entertained the idea of having a family other than Hotaru. Something had made her assume that her mother had been alone and Ráeru had been her only child. "I don't...I'm not sure....I-I..." The words that tumbled from her mouth were the result of the shock that she was feeling.

Another was quickly approaching, his blood coloured coat blended down to the colour of dark nights, the stag's entire body rippled with strength. Mismatched eyes alight with wisdom his gazed traveled over her tiny body until finally he glanced away again. Glancing between both of them, Ráeru was able to put two and two together. If this mare was calling her sister then this stag must be her; "father." Her voice faltered, the faintest of whispers. Had she heard his voice before? Perhaps a memory lingered there, the pale girl had never been sure if it was real. Telling her that she looked just like her mother caused her smile to falter, Ráeru stared at him as finally looked back at her.

No thoughts came to mind as she stared at her father, willing herself to come back to life. It wasn't until Hotaru's voice called out to her that Ráeru took in a deep breath and attempted to relax. "Over here!" Blue eyes still glancing between her sister and father, it was about time to sort out this mess. Finally her mother came to her side, the pale girl leaned into her offered embrace, taking comfort from the known. Nodding at her mother's story she even offered her own thoughts. "Indeed, she saved me. She became my mother and I owe her my life." Taking a step closer towards her father, Ráeru gazed up at the face she thought she'd never meet. A father and a sister! Joy lightened her heart at the prospect of having an even bigger family than just Hotaru. She'd never met any of her adopted family, yet that idea paled to the prospect of meeting her blood family. Was this all of them? Or did more hide out in The Basin? "How big is our family?" The question was poised towards her sister, moving closer to the dark female Ráeru grinned a true smile, excited to know more about her family.

"Mother never had the chance to tell me." Suddenly her heart fluttered as her blood ran cold. Gods what if they didn't know what happened to her?! Turning to look at both of them she knew her face was an open book of worry. If they didn't know she had to be the one to tell them about Kou's murder. Wanting to only discuss her family, her travels and what would happen now, how this would change her life...change her would not help them. What if they thought Kou had just left them, ran off with someone else?

She had to tell them.

Her blue eyes settled on her father, he needed to know this from her, as did her sister. "Mother didn't leave you. She was murdered." Glancing towards her sister, the pale yearling took a deep breath. "We need someone with magic." Finally it was time to share what had haunted her since the day of her birth, "because I saw the entire thing." A sad smile pulled up the corner of her chops, eyes gleaming with tears and the idea of revenge. Her father and sister would want to avenge her mother.

So did Ráeru.

Aviya Posts: 59
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 4 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
[Image: 544db86c3336b]

Aviya was completely capture by this little youngling before her. The smokey mare circled the filly, trying to drink her in. She was a homage to their mother and father alike, her beautiful coat accented well by her delicate glass. Aviya smirked, thinking of her own glass horn. She would have to remind the young girl to be careful with it, but that was for a different time. Perking her head up towards her approaching father, Aviya smiled brightly. "Look what I found. She jested, though it was full of hope and happiness. Aviya, while so wholly indifferent to her other siblings, felt something different towards this tiny creature. Perhaps the only reason for that was the absence of her Momma Kou.

Their mingling was short lived, however, when another burst into the scene. Aviya's ears pinned as the pink mare came swooping in, coddling up Raeru. Aviya moved towards her father, pressing her dark shoulder into his bay hide. She needed to draw from his strength and resolve, and only he could hold her back from tearing this mare apart, should she attempt to take the filly away from them. She stayed silent as the mare spoke, letting her words wash over her fully, though her face was contorted in an unamused grimace. "Thank you for saving her, and caring for her, but she is not your own." Aviya's words were harsh, cutting with venom, but her tone was flat. Turning ice blue eyes down the the filly, Aviya listened. "Kou is your mother, and she always will be." Aviya noted firmly, taking a step forwards the young girl.

Aviya reached her muzzle out to stroke her sister's back, nipping gently with just her lips. "You have me, Aviya, the oldest of us. After me, there is Nao, another sister. We have brothers--twins--Roux and Sacre. They seem to have all disappeared, and I only know of Sacre's whereabouts. He lives in a herd called the Dragon's Throat. We also have...something else. A boy, named Mesec. But he is not important, a brother of dirty blood." Aviya's voice softened as she talked to the child, telling her of their siblings. She gave a glance back at d'Artagnan, waiting for him to speak, but it was not him, it was the youngling.

Aviya flung back, suddenly, feet scuttling for purchase in her sudden burst of movement. "You saw the killer?" She was amazed, and the desire for revenge of her mother's life bloomed like wildfire in her chest.
@[Hotaru] @[Ráeru] @[d'Artagnan]

Chance is the only game I play with, baby
We let our battles choose us

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Shouting. Ophelia jerked her head up from where she had been grazing, ears craning for more sound. She furrowed her brows, watching the one she believed to be Aviya running toward a group too distant to make out. Frowning, Ophelia followed quietly, cloven hooves padding lightly on the grasses. She approached softly, catching the words of a small, cream colored filly and blinking in shock. Someone killed this one's mother? And she had seen it all? The pale princess stepped into the light, catching Aviya's final words, a question Ophelia had wanted to ask as well. You saw the killer?

The pale princess glanced at the group, attention focused on the brave filly and lowering her neck with gentle ease. Ophelia smiled softly at Aviya and the girl before pressing, feeling the cool wind billow her bloody hair around her body. "I have magic," she promised, nodding. "You say your mother was murdered. By whom?" she pressed further, wanting the girl to remember as much as she could. That would make retrieving her memories far easier.

Ophelia glanced up at Hotaru, eyes questioning. She trusted the thief implicitly, especially after their stand against Gaucho not too long ago. If Hotaru made some motion for her to stop or step away, she would without question. The girl's tears were heartbreaking, and she understood her emotions. Ophelia did not know her mother's killer, but she wanted to. And she wanted revenge. She wanted to taste the blood of her enemies. Maybe, just maybe, the Lady could give that flavor to this child.

Art by: equusamor @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Frostie

Listening to her sister's words she frowned at the mention of her brother with 'dirty blood'. What on earth did that mean? Glancing towards her father (that was quite a strange thought) the young filly wondered if he would explain to her what her sister meant. Perhaps that was best left for another time, one where she could just have a quiet word with either her father or sister. It sounded as if it was important for her to know.

Nodding to Aviya in confirmation, Ráeru looked at her sister. "Yes. It was horrible." Staring at the dark mare Ráeru wondered how close she had been to their mother. The ivory filly had not known her well, thought no doubt Aviya had been raised, taught and loved by the pale mare that she hardly knew. Someone else approached, the girl watched as the silver lady approached them. Offering a smile to both of them Ráeru simply stared back wondering if this was another sister that Aviya had forgotten to mention. "I don't know his name." Her tone suddenly became laced with fear, she didn't really want to dive into the memories so soon. They scared her, the sights, sounds and smells she remembered well. "He was the devil miss." A tiny voice she began to recount everything she could remember. "A dark colour but he had a white face...two horns...a green mouth. He was so mean...his words were cruel. He wanted to hurt me but mother stopped him! He accused mother of poisoning him, she did no such thing. Then...then...he killed her. He crushed her bones drained her life."

The silence fell as the sobs began to break through her strength. She could no go on! "Just...do...it..." Whatever magic the lady wanted to use she should do it now, before Ráeru collapsed under the emotions that were threatening to take over.