the Rift

[OPEN] !! Riverside

Laedere Posts: 84
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 5 years old (Frostfall birthday)
Ardere :: Plain Dolphin Leviathan :: Boil Abba
Laedere
❈ when you go home everything looks different ❈
I had been traveling, allowing mine eyes to grow accustomed the nature that seemed to spur so vividly across these vivacious lands. It was as if it were teeming with life, so drastically different from Pompeii and the erratic fires that had swallowed its target fully. The way that it had sheathed the lands in black ash, burnt the inhabitants and carved holes in survivors minds. It was a radical change that had shocked me to the core.

I was healthy, miraculously so, even with the gaping void upon mine right appendage. I was not sick, I did not cough, I was not weak in the limbs. I was able to move just fine, and for that I was grateful. The menders of the Falls had stuck in my mind - their abilities to call upon the soil and plants in order to heal was inexplicable and I could still see it with every step that I took.

Alas, it was these memories of viability that called upon mine flesh to move forward as it did. It was as if the land of water falls was summoning me back to its hidden doors and protected basin. It was a dwelling which I wished to call my own. So mine limbs extended, covering the ground in elegant movements until I arrived at the towering wall of cliffs that disguised the entrance to the Falls.

And, when I arrived, I stood and waited. I would not call out, after all mine arrival was not urgent. And, I would not cross the borders. I would wait for someone to come, and perhaps it would be Midas - or even Africa (the one winged phenomena who said she made residence in the Throat) if she had decided to take another voyage to the Falls. Either one would more than likely bring a smile to mine face - a familiar vessel to speak to and not be concerned about.

"Laedere speaking." | Thoughts/others speaking.

she's probs going to join, but wanted to start her back up somewhere that she knew ;3 @[Africa] - maybe?

Coding || Image Credit

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
On a recent camping trip to the south-eastern flank of the Threshold forest, Africa had discovered a delicacy she had not sampled for at least four seasons. Where the trees huddled in thick groves and their sprawling canopies meshed together snugly, deep shade cloaked the littered floor for much of the year. It was there - where the brash mind never thought to look – through the dense mat of leaves that the soft faces of mushrooms peeped curiously. As a foolish girl, fresh to Helovia and drunk on excitement, the dappled mare had experimented with much of the lands fine produce. Occasionally this tasting earned her a dreadful stomach ache, a spinning world or unnaturally long slumber, mostly she was lucky and discovered treats worth returning for.

As she ambled slowly up a narrow goat track from the south – belly swollen, filled to capacity – the Starry-Eyed hummed a cheerful tune. Her coat had smoothed considerably in the months since her arrival in the Falls; hooves no longer flaked and her curves had again filled to feminine perfection. Both physically and mentally her recovery had been slow. She often thought of Dargon’s Throat, of the family that she had abandoned on a whim and the God of the Sun who had shown her nothing but faith and generosity. A plaguing worry, Africa knew that eventually both obstacles would need to be confronted; her future depended on it as did the mending of her mind.

Silas rode low upon her back, neck curled around and skull nestled beneath star-glittered plumage. He too was stuffed to the brim and had presumed himself unable to fly in such a state – he slept soundly, far too uncomfortable to commit to anything more energetic.

The roar of the waterfall grew steadily as she neared the perimeter of her home and long sooty ears roamed ever alertly through licking flame. Though perhaps it was no secret, Africa often fancied the cave behind the plunging water to be a private entrance of which no other knew – carefully she approached, pale eyes glancing about broodingly. To her surprise, on this occasion there was another lingering, and a smile rose swiftly through her ashen features. "Laedere!" she called brightly, though the tone of her voice was humble and quite soft. "How has your wing healed up?" Thoughtful gaze wandered towards the other’s damaged limb, and she halted close enough to investigate.
Africa
@[Laedere]

Hidden Account
Laedere
I don't know how long I stood there, listening to the roar of the Falls and allowing a blanker gaze to penetrate the area. No one seemed to be coming, though. There wasn't the rustle of leaves or foliage from the onslaught of hooves that should be coming if there were other horses. And, there wasn't the ever faint beating (so much like a heartbeat that resounded in my ears) of wings that called to the arrival of a pegasus.

Perhaps I stood there for hours, wings clasped to my sides and head low, complacently resting outside the border. I did not wish to disturb them and I wasn’t even sure what I would have said if they had come and I hadn't known them. I had been hiding these past months, keeping myself well and starting to learn my way across these lands. You see, it still hurt that I did not have the endowment of a normal avian with this cavity in my wing. I desired the tangibility of the wind as it clung to my mane, causing it to dance around in an intricate game of give and take.

However, the waiting did cease as someone materialized from behind the monstrous waterfall. It seemed as if she had come from the mists, though I knew she hadn't actually been created from them. And the ethereal form of dapples and defect easily placed itself in my cognizance as we both took a few nimble steps forward to meet. An affable smile curved at the corners of my lips as Africa uttered my name. "Africa!" I crooned, my ears flickering forward to listen to her inquiry about my feathered appendage. "Mine wing hath been quite convalescent as of late. It shan't regenerate but it has settled to scar." A wistful sigh escaped my mouth before I twisted my cranium up to the skies. "Art ye well, too? Thine figure is complimentary, after what mineself would assume to be a respite from thee's harsh sands? Mineself hath returned and I pray that Midas might accept mine presence in his herd - to aid as he deemed fit…"

But the question was, really, if they would allow me into their protective embrace and take up what little I could truly offer. So, carefully, I allowed my gaze to sink back down to meet Africa's, joy glinting across my orbs. I… wanted to have somewhere to call home.

any other Falls members can join if you really wanna meet her ;3

Coding || Image Credit

Deceased
The other’s pretty voice tumbled forward to find pricked, black-tipped ears and the warmth of the greeting drew forth only a broader grin. For a moment the Starry-Eyed wondered whether the paler mare had joined their ranks – it did not readily occur to her that Laedere had been missing from meetings and the few other herd events which had brought their numbers together. Words spilled through the roar of cascading water, and she marvelled at their exotic hue – one memory from their previous meeting that had apparently faded over time.

Though it was saddening to note the wounded wing’s lack of full use, Africa was more than relieved when her elegant company revealed that it had set and scarred enough to be tolerated – she could only imagine the trauma of wearing a wing still, but knowing its uselessness. At least when her limb had been taken, the result was irrefutable. As Laedere sighed almost sadly, fond lips reached to brush her soft pallid cheek. The one-winged knew intimately the grim pain of gravity, and sympathised wholeheartedly.

"Aye," she answered in turn, memories of her own glazing wistfully behind the masking flutter of lashes. "...I call this land home now, and serve as their medic." The haze of regret cleared quickly enough, and thought of Laedere staying filled her to the brim with hope. It had been such a long while since last Africa had seen the lovely cremello mare, but there was a strong feeling of kinship ripe through her heart that simmered right back to the surface.

"Midas will be thrilled!" she chimed cheerfully, "But you needn’t wait for his approval. My rank in the herd allows me the privilege of accepting you. Welcome home Laedere..." As the other’s rose-tinted gaze lowered once again, the dappled mare stepped nearer to meet it, bumping her nose in a visible display of affection against the mare’s strangely foreign perfume. There was little need to linger any longer.

Africa began to turn back towards the misty corridor lurking behind the falls. "Come, let’s go back inside where it’s safe." Though her meaning hinted of the recent crimes, murders that had sullied soil right across Helovia, there seemed little point in worrying Laedere with such grief. With a steady stride, she guided the lovely creature through the mist and all the way after, along the winding cliff path until they were nestled beneath the cool shade of the centremost forest of the territory.
Africa

Hidden Account
Laedere
It was a sweet voice that was returned to mine ears as I watched her carefully. She says that she calls the Falls her home, just as I wished to, and that she now served as their medic. A gentle smile clung to mine face as I shifted my weight just enough to rest comfortably. She says that Midas will be thrilled, and that I didn't even have to wait for him to come and accept me before welcoming me home.

There was a gentle bump of maws before Africa turned back to the falls, leading me through the hidden entrance and back out to the herd land. "Mineself is grateful for the opportunities ye graces mineself with. Where might thee require the most assistance? Mineself is efficient with children, tales and commonplace care of thine herd." I explained, gentle words and utterances falling from mine lips as I settled in under the canopies, resting in the shades.

"How has ye been? How has Midas been? Can ye tell me more about thee lands I now have the graces of calling home?" A few gentle inquiries from mine maw, but things I still felt to be important. If I wanted to fit in here, then I had to learn all that I could about this place and those I cared for. A gentle rustle of my feathers as I placed mine wings into a simple position. Then, I stared out across the lands, looking at the massive number of waterfalls, trees, grass. This was my home now....

ooc goes hurr.

Coding || Image Credit

Deceased
The echo of their hooves striking stone in rhythmic succession filled the narrow tunnel that guided them back through the old mountain’s ruins. After the first corner, the loud roar of the waterfall that they had left behind became a little less, and Africa’s downy, grey ears lifted from their set back position (they were sensitive, and it was certainly taking awhile longer than one season to acclimatize). It was cold beneath the earth, moisture clung to the walls around them and tiny cracks spilled dribbling rivulets down across their path. She had grown to appreciate the vast dissimilarity to the dry desert peninsula in the south. No longer did salt irritate her skin, nor did dust stain her throat.

She had learned early to count each blessing because guilt had this awful reoccurring presence, and she needed something to balance it.

Laedere spoke along the way, rich of accent, though for one reason or another the dappled mare found it easier to understand this time around. Perhaps she was more relaxed – certainly there was no trace of strain in the smooth, swinging stride of her legs. She considered carefully her friend’s question regarding help around the herd with a sheer smile filling her pallid features. It had not been that long ago that she had proffered to Midas the very same thing – and here she was, sharing the role of Medic, and healing those wounded. Though maybe a very long time ago such a duty had tickled her fancy, many years distracted had clouded that ambition; only now did she realise how more natural she felt in the position – easily more than Diviner or Sultana...

As they slipped deeper through the forest beyond, Africa answered in equally soft tones; the tranquillity around them was a beautiful thing to behold.

"There are many children, Lae..." she laughed, turning her face though not pausing her motion. "I think you have your work cut out for you there. I haven’t really ventured out of the healing class yet, so ther would surely be others who know better. Perhaps you could look for the mare called Drum? She is the Storyteller here." In truth, it was not only the ranks she had still more to learn about... "I have been fine (not a complete lie) working leaves not much time really to consider myself otherwise. Midas is well..."

They had paused in the deepest shade, and it was well because the day had been thus far warm.

"Midas is still Czar – he has been honoured by Helovia’s Gods, been immortalised." It pleased her enormously to fuss over the stallion, and perhaps she did a poor job of masking that fact. A brighter smile still had swept across her face, and saccharine tone purged words freely. "Ghost the Cadavorous leads by his side. She is black and red, with wings and a horn..." She gave the information freely – it was all she really knew.
Africa

Hidden Account
Laedere
But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?

Our conversation was easy. It seemed that we both managed to understand the other's twisted words and flamboyant intricacies. For that, I was glad. The warmth of the encounter easily radiating through my veins until I was completely settled in the place which I would call home. I tried to explain what I had been good at. Always had we been taught to care for the children, to pass on the stories of the wise. Perhaps I would be able to do the same here for any children that may roam across the verdant and luscious fields.

Alas, the laugh which parted from her lips alerted me that there would be plenty of children to bestow my knowledge upon and I cannot help but to allow the corners of my maw to curve and twist into a delicate smile. "It is pleasant to find that thee bounty is gracious enough to provide thee lands with such exuberant amounts of children." I say before she trails off and gives me a name to search for in the future. "Alas, I shall seek for her to help bestow any intricacies that mineself might need to be cognizant of." A gentle bob of my cranium is given and I can only swish my tail in time with our well metered movements.

I will fit in to these ranks. I can assist in rearing children of thee Falls and proliferate the philosophies of mine past to help them in their futures. It was a wonderful feeling that only heightened as Africa explained both she and Midas were in good spirits. She speaks of his immortality, though, and mine eyes widen - blinking a few times in utter confusion. "Immortalized but yet lacking the cold sheen of death?" I inquire, shock lingering upon mine tongue. "Aye, no one has been gifted the power of immortalization in any fashion other than lore…" I'm struggling to fit it together, brows knitting some before she offers the other leader's name. A woman, one who most likely would have needed to fight to get in that position. And, while the society I had been reared in was mainly maternal based, they still religiously followed the rule of male sex. "Isn't that… sacrilegious?" a gentle question, one born on the wings of confusion and uncertainty in these lands I had yet to fully become acquainted with. "In mine lands, matrons were thee heart of thine lands - but the Caliph was undoubtedly of paternal sex. Matrons ruled from within, controlling thine lands in that mannerism, but thine law was prophesized by thee Caliph of thee time…" I cannot help but to allow mine brows to continue to furrow - to struggle to understand. Yes, perhaps women could hold high ranks - but never were they to crave the title of the Caliph. Never were they to climb to a position that enticed violence and could lead to death of their children.

It was almost ghastly to think of the pain a female Caliph would go through…

enter confused laedere

Coding || Image Credits

Deceased
The mint-tinged mare could barely withhold her astonishment at mention of the four Helovian deity’s favour of their leader, and Africa’s expression mirrored it innocently. She neither had heard of any mortal walking with eternal life prior to his blessing – even despite the colourful magic (some lighter than others), riddled throughout the vast country. Heat lingered on in her cheeks, a fondness not easily masked, until Laedere assumed the topic of leadership in full.

"Sacre..." she tried, but the word her more sophisticated company had used was lost already to her crude, swinging ears. The one-winged gathered – as the paler mare continued – that she was referring in fact to the gender of Czarina Ghost, and chortled softly at the idea of masculinity above their fair kind. Concern was ridded through Laedere’s pretty, exotic expression, and the sharp score of the green tattoo around her eye bent awkwardly with her brow.

"Oh, you needn’t worry!" Africa soothed quickly with an expanding smile. "I think this land has only even known a set of rulers like this, one stallion and one mare...” She chose not to mention the fact that Hidden Falls was relatively new on Helovia’s map. Evidently, she knew not of the struggle of the other mare’s conscience.

A light-hearted chortle slipped by velvet lips to crack the setting mood and Africa turned to scan the tree line surrounding. "Are you thirsty?” Her own throat felt parched, and she longed for the sweet fluid of paradise to cleanse her throat of that stagnant stench of Threshold pine and mould. After a thoughtful glance back, a toss of her chiselled skull to suggest the other follow, she led the way downhill, towards the gentle babble of the centremost watercourse – slow, gentle and overwhelmingly refreshing.
Africa

Hidden Account
Laedere
The grey mare started out trying to say the word "sacrilegious " but couldn't quite do it. I assumed it was because she didn't know the meaning of it, though that could be fixed at a later date. Alas, as I was confused and concerned about there being a female leader. Africa said that I shouldn't worry, that it had always been this way, but it didn't quite make sense. "Does ye herd actually attend to her decrees?" I inquired uncertainly before she, herself, inquired about water. "Aye, mineself is most certainly parched," I responded, just as she tossed her crown in a motion to follow.

Easily, I kept stride with the mare, moving behind carefully in order to situate myself beside the grey mare when we finally reached downhill and toward the babbling water that would no doubt quench our thirst. "Dost thou need me for anything?" I inquired, after dipping my maw into the liquid and swallowing the sweet, chilling water. "If not, then mineself would like to take in ye lands on mine own…" I explained, shifting my weight and ruffling my feathers. Yes, I really would like to start exploring these lands on my own if I could. Perhaps find a place where I could settle, that I could call my own for some time before I integrated completely in with the others who called this home.

Yes, first step was accomplished. She now had a home. Now, to get to know it and to call all those inside my family. Things were working, for once.

ooc goes hurr.

Coding || Image Credit