the Rift

[OPEN] under the mountain, a golden fountain

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Excitement funneled and churned through the little prince’s body, fervent and ardent, swift and quick, and it flowed along his limbs and branched amongst his movements. Some contortions were wild and chaotic, frenzied and rushed, clambering through underbrush or laughing in the spring wind, brewing past the seditious, restless vestiges of his heart and clambering on the more ebullient designs. He was a master of diversions, enveloping over trails once or twice out of pure glee, foxtail, heathen dedication to craft and discovery, lancing and leaping over fallen logs and swaying with the breeze. Brilliantly, vibrantly alive, he soared with poignant amusement into cretin expeditions, danced on the embers and coals of prosperity, walked and waltzed beneath the promise of strength, of prowess. His steps pierced and punctured with effervescent qualities, drummed an infidel rhapsody, over the rapture, the reverie, of surging pride and building esteem, because through his molten efforts, his infernal curiosity, he’d managed to assist his empire in acquiring a new member. Grim, he’d called himself, but the massive beast had been anything but his namesake, kind and charitable, entrusting the youth with his valiant wandering skills as they traipsed through clearings and copses, clambered and ambled through thickets. Erebos, in his minute, mischievous plans saw him as a regal cretin to add to their clan (surely he wouldn’t mind accompanying the infernal, bristling musketeers on examinations and explorations), and the General likely portrayed him as a worthy asset: all in all, the adventure had been a wondrous endeavor. They’d gained an ally, a strong, durable behemoth, and raised the Basin’s potential to another enduring notch across the peaks.

Due to the untamed elation and animation, the child unearthed a constant stream of conversation and dialogue, hardly ever ceasing (unless he tripped unceremoniously over a rock, then quickly recovered as if naught had happened). The words were just as unrestrained as his motions, with wolf grins and impish smiles to match their possessor. “I think you’ll love the herd, Grim!” He waxed poetical on its qualities, on its prowess, bestowing grandeur and splendor where it was justly deserved. “We have a lot of strong people! Torleik is our General,” here the miniature beast paused to glance at the aforementioned warrior, enduring in his scrutiny of warrior tactics and prestige, pondering whether he should ask him for a lesson at some point or merely rely on his sire for the wisdom. “My father is the Lord! His name is Deimos. He’s really strong too. Our Lady is Ophelia, but I don’t know much about her.” The scion shrugged at the last comment, not yet enlightened fully on the ivory femme, but accepted her good-naturedly all the same. Maybe one day Illynx would come back, and Rikyn too, and the yearlings could all be together again.

His speech only ceased when they reached the icy ridge and glacial borders, movements stopping abruptly to gaze at the massive sentinel, the summits and valleys beyond. The sight only increased the bountiful esteem and honor bounding through his chest, and he gleamed towards Grim, bobbing his head in reverent appreciation. “Welcome to the Basin!”

[Welcoming thread for Grimalkin. ^_^ Feel free to join! @[Torleik] @[Grimalkin]

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after
I don't need another friend

Image Credits

Grimalkin Posts: 50
Outcast atk: 3.5 | def: 7 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Whit
The endless flow of words from the boy, while seemingly just childish rambles, give the behemoth plenty of information. Learning the true ranking of Torleik was almost an expected surprise, for the dark rabicano held himself with the confidence and authority expected of such a position. The steed stored it away, knowing now he had chosen wisely to show this one respect, especially if an entire herd was united in their respect and love of the beast - Grimalkin had little desire to get on the bad side of an enture herd.

The name of their leaders he stowed away within the depths of his mind, ready to pull forth at any given moment. What was more interesting to him at this time, was the heritage of the boy, the royalty his bloodlines contained. The burnt palomino almost inquired after the child's mother, but instead allowed Erebos to fill the silence in with his continued speech, easily relinquishing his desire to learn more about one subject in exchange for knowledge about another, more pressing issue. Deimos and Ophelia, he murmured to himself, nodding to acknowledge the colt's words. Though he was not given anything to identify them by, the stallion could hazard a guess at Deimos' appearance, if it held any similarities to his son.

Grimalkin suspected he would learn of the leaders of this place soon enough.

They came to a new kind of threshold, one guarded by a wall and sentinels. Like an itch beneath his skin, the stallion was consumed by a feeling of being watched, and he daren't step before the statues, which were greater in size even than he. A shiver caused goosepimples to run down his spine that had nothing to do with the slightly chiller weather of the North. Had he been a creature with less backbone, he would have turned and fled at the initial wave of nausea these strange beings brought upon him.

Erebos provided a decent distraction, however, as he proudly announced that they were home, with his chest bulging and nape arched, pride filled every ounce of his slim form. The giant placed a smile back upon his lips, though he stood back slightly from the entrance - his wariness of the sentinels not yet allowing him to come any closer. "I thank you, young Sir, for your assistance." Accented tones rolled off his tongue easily, showing the genuine gratitude Grim felt for being shown the way. Emeraldine orbs rolled to look at the statues once more, as his next query voiced the 'slight' concern he held for them.

"What are those?"

bg - table

please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
I write what I feel at the time
and hope everyone else does the same c:

Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather

Perhaps because he’d lived beneath them for his entire life, Erebos had always given little thought to the power and prestige of the Sentinels. They were like towers, like behemoths, like every other portion of their herd: beautiful, deadly, snakes and snares laying in wait. They were proud things to be admired, shapely machines not entirely composed and perfected, gaping and shackled to the frozen floor, waiting for the opportunity to be completed and concluded (and oh, what kind of monsters would they be then?). His gaze crossed from them to Grim, watching as the other stared openly at the lofty machines; truly, Erebos hadn’t even thought he would have never seen such marvels. The little prince grinned at the gratitude, then gestured back towards the subjects in query, raising his head so he could stare and gape at them in full regalia, with their clockwork mechanics and unmoving gears. They were safe from harm, but enemies weren’t. “We call them the Sentinels. They’re not finished yet.” He glanced back at Grim, a cheeky grin playing over his features, dancing on the cobweb expanse and unfurling all of his knowledge upon the stag. Maybe one day the favor would be returned, and the miniature scion would dive deep into lessons and sagacity. “They guard the Basin. If anyone dares to intrude, they can attack.” Erebos had never seen it himself, but he presumed it would be a marvel to behold: emboldened, ferocious hardware and instruments clicking and clacking and assailing, catching hold of those who dared to harm them. “But don’t worry, you’re safe from them. You’re a member of the Basin now! They know.” He nodded in affirmation, as if it was easy to understand and comprehend how a structure and framework could know and process who cherished them and who longed to destroy their ramparts, but heedlessly, recklessly, he pressed further into the borders, imploring Grim to do the same. There was so much more to see, so much more to do, so many avenues and lengths to explore, and he beckoned, a juvenile commander, with sprite endeavors and minute twirls, prancing in the snow and icicles, emir of summits and mountains. “Come on! We have a lot of other things to see!” His head tilted a fraction, forelock falling between his eyes, crisscrossing along his brow in a ruffian picture, gaze narrowing to regard the newcomer. “Where would you like to go?”

@[Grimalkin]

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after

Image Credits

Whit
They know, the young princeling said, and the words set the heart of the beast on fire. How? he wanted to ask, how can I harness their power? He yearned to be like them suddenly, to be able to stand, strong and silent, observing and terrifying and powerful.

Helovia was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. And he had only just arrived.

He could only imagine what this realm might have in store for him, and it thrilled him.

"Fascinating," he murmured in his deep tones as he strode past them, hiding the fact that he held his breath as his heavy footsteps took him past the watching eyes of the twin sentinels. His burly form braced itself for potential impact, but nothing comes, and he releases the breath he held, and walks with a more swinging stride as he enters the land.

The Aurora Basin. His home.

Satisfaction colours the grin he wears, his antlered crown tilting as his emerald gaze drinks the view laid out before him. Hungrily he wants to explore it all, devour every corner of it, discover every secret and hold it, and use it. To what purpose - he would figure that out after he learned all he could.

There was power in the lands, he could just about feel it even as he walked upon the ground with his feathered limbs. Erebos' query bring him out of his reverie, his fond and greedy observation of the lands stretched out before him. The stallion explores his brain for the locations the colt had given him previously, but he cannot settle upon a single one. Where was he to start?

"Take me to your favourite place," he said warmly, turning his gaze to view the youth once more, passing the responsibility of exploration onto his qualified shoulders.

Soon, he would be the one directing others around this place, and the rest of Helovia. But for now, he would follow this colt, who gave his information away so freely under the guise of naivety and youth. For now, Grimalkin would be under his guidance and tuition, he would swallow his pride and take was he was given.

@[Erebos]
bg - table

The limber colt watched in rapt fascination as Grim seemingly came to life – an emboldened, audacious part of him was content in knowing he’d helped provide the gleam, the charm, and a prouder contemplation yielded to the Basin’s prowess and fortitude, because it was a masterpiece, an oeuvre, of treachery, of beauty, and everything in between. He lingered in their reposed silence, feeding on the fuel, on the kindling, of this raw world, the only one he’d ever known, the only empire he’d ever serve. The Siberian summits were in his blood, chilled and rapacious like the Reaper’s wake, harmonic and pulsing like Huyana’s love, and he could stand beneath its massive outlook, its potent insurgency, and bow to its wake without haughty traces or foundations. Maybe one day he would help its rise grow even taller, its reclaim grow even broader, searing, searching, scorching the earth; but they were dreams and ambitions for the future, and within the present, Grim deserved to know, to understand, the comprehend the full regalia of his newfound sovereign. But he seemed incapable of choosing an area, and the decision defaulted to the colt, a lad who couldn’t hold back his boyish smile. “My favorite place…” There were so many areas to choose. He’d wandered with his mother into the midst of the Time God’s mirror, had stared in awe and confusion into the reflecting glass, he’d meandered beside his father as they patrolled the borders, silent and sneaky, furtive and specious, and he’d danced along the peak paths, waltzing beneath snowflakes and icicles. His gaze swam and varnished back over the realm, quick, rapid, until finally pinpointing on the beautiful pool in the distance, strong and enduring like every inch of their capital. The princeling nearly bounced with excitement at his choice, features morphing into outlandish ebullience, eyes brimming in foils of elation while his voice ricocheted over the summit; if the pinnacles minded, they never said. “Oh – we should see the lake! The one that never freezes!” With absolute certainty, his movements became a blur of gangly limbs, a wonder they could be controlled at all in his rapid height alterations, rushing headlong towards the massive lake in the near center of the empire, gleaming perfection in the throngs and whistles of Tallsun. Maybe he could even show his newfound friend, for Grim had already earned the calling and recognition, his invocations and domination over the water…

@[Grimalkin]

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after

Image Credits

Whit
Genuine pleasure blooms across the steed's façade as the colt embraces the opportunity to direct his path. Though the burnt palomino is not ancient, the yearling could very easily write him off as such, and cast him aside without so much as a second thought. The brute is grateful for the attention of the youth - he was easy to read and learn from, giving information Grimalkin required to get comfortable in this new realm without having to dance and prod and sell one's soul in exchange. Was he taking advantage of the boy? Not quite - he was making the most of the situation presented to him, and the more the colt gave him, the more likely he was to linger by the princeling's side himself.

A flurry of motion, and too-long limbs are carrying the colt away. The lake! he had exclaimed excitedly, and the stallion allows the exclamation to fuel his own enthusiasm, encouraging his own heavy limbs to move with the bunching of solid muscles.

As they travelled, Grim's posture reflected the different lands they wove through. His skull tilted the weighty load of his antlers more vertical as they wove through forests, so that the broad expanse of prongs did not snag on passing branches. The land opened up, and so too did the steed's stride. He was a heavy brute, there was no doubt, but he was also fit and mobile, not inclined to stay out of motion for long. He could keep up with the colt's pace with ease - granted, Erebos wasn't exactly trying to outrun him, and should he have wanted to, Grimalkin would stand very little chance indeed.

"Beautiful," Grimalkin's breathy voice sighed as they happened upon a hillock that revealed the expanse of water before them. He paused, sweat darkening his hide from the movement they had just engaged, his breaths coming faster and his heart rate pounding a healthy rhythm within his chest cavity. Suddenly he longed for nothing more than to feel the splash of the liquid against his hide, to let it cool and chill him, to play and dance and cause a ruckus. With a smirk curving his maw with devilish glee, and a deep bellow rumbling forth from his throat, the steed pushed onwards towards the lake, leaping and kicking at the dirt that stirred from his broad footprints, pawing and ravaging the edges of the once-still water with a savage and thirsty grace. Dipping his maw below the water's surface, he then trotted along the shallows, blowing bubbles and creating waves from his motion. Lifting his muzzle and glancing over to his princeling comrade, the steed tossed his mighty crown, and continued to paw and stir the water beneath his drenched, feathered legs.

@[Erebos]
bg - table

The lacing of pride danced and wove its way through the colt’s chest at the antered stag’s exclamation – the Basin was beautiful, and though he’d played no part in its construction, the child could still feel warranted a little respect for the empire he rambled through. It could be cold, chilling, and frigid, but it also held the significant warbles of strength, of nobility, of regality, tough and enduring, no mountains crumbling, no summits sliding, naught but timeless, arcane perfection. Even the water, never truly under a winter’s spell, was marvelous in its concoction, and his eyes were always riveted to its placid reflecting pool, a looking glass spread and formidable, not deceitful, not specious; and some days, he could pretend to be lord of it, casting his hooves across its surface as mighty ruler of seas, waves, currents, and streams. The little beast watched and waited as Grim launched his bigger structure into the opulent wonder, turning and twisting into someone else entirely (it was funny to see such a massive creature suddenly contorting into a playful, jubilant creature; not many of the adults here would even think to carry on in the manners of foals). Inclined to join him, because what child wouldn’t want to be a merchant of diversions and amusement, the lad hastened his own series of joviality, waiting until the stag’s gaze was turned towards the shallow lakebed and the shuffling of stones and rubble; placing one limb on the surface, feeling it carry his weight, his lanky, developing legs, before presiding entirely upon its colossal wake. Poseidon’s long-lost descendent, he maneuvered silently, stealthily, while the newcomer splashed and cajoled in the cool liquid; the miniature heathen, with impish glee and fiendish charm, maneuvered like a serpent, slithering along his watery threshold, sinuous and serpentine. He didn’t splash, he didn’t plunge, he didn’t descend into the anarchy, into the swell, of the rippling tides caused and seared by Grim’s movements and antics, biding his time, pausing for a significant moment. Then, as the stallion turned to face him, drenched and soused, the colt ceased all motions, appearing calm, composed, and self-possessed, standing upon the lake’s finish and veneer as though he were lacquered to it himself, binding with the spirals and convolutions, the snippets of water and sea, gaze aglow, channeled and funneled into decadent splendor. He inclined his skull closer to the stag, twisting his smile into a feral smirk, a predator on the prowl, a wraith on the moor, pretending naught was out of the ordinary, noting the beloved stretch of water like he was gesturing towards the weather or the rate of summer humidity. “Do you like it?”

@[Grimalkin]

EREBOS
Clever got me this far
Then tricky got me in
Eye on what I'm after

Image Credits

Whit
When Grimalkin discovered the reason behind the lake being the young prince's love of the lake, he could not help but stare. It was impossible, biblical, and yet, demonstrated right before him. Expecting the normal thing to happen - a hoof approaches the water's surface, a hoof breaks the water's surface - and instead witnessing the surface seemingly transform beneath cloven feet into something able to bear the weight of the lanky, growing colt, caused his mind and his jaw to become slightly unhinged. Emerald pools widened, a shot of ivory appearing around their edges, his jaw opening slightly to show a row of yellowing teeth in surprise. It swiftly shut again as the steed recovered his dignity, snorting the surprise through his nostrils instead.

Feeling very much the fool, the steed halted his rambunctious motions, allowing the water to settle around his thickly set limbs, giving the colt a surface upon which he could play and dance and evidently run along without ever feeling a drip upon him. Jealously suddenly rose, sharp and slicing, within his breast, but it was swallowed by the awe and affection he already held for the princeling. Magic, Grimalkin was about to learn, ran rampart through Helovia, and in order to keep up, he had to desire it enough to earn it, learn it and wield it. As he watched the dark colt prance and play before him, before sweeping his horned crown and painting his lips with a demonic smirk, he felt nothing more than a deep desire to smack him sideways with his antlered crown.

But the colt's ego was not to be taken down a peg today - no, Grimalkin was too new, too fresh to this world. He had to play it carefully, respectfully, he had to win friends in order to win knowledge and power, and he had to do it the right way. Slapping the colt would not win him any favours - not when he knew the colt's father was their Lord, not when he knew this colt could walk on water for crying out loud - who knew what else he was capable of? It was an abrupt and harsh lesson to Grimalkin to learn never to judge a creature by their outward appearances - and it also gave him a healthy, albeit slightly begrudged, respect for the young Erebos. Curling his lips into a satisfied grin in return, the steed replied simply, russian tones punctuating the handful of syllables he chose to voice, swinging his dampened tail against his dark hide as he did so.

"Very much so."

[ Sorry for the wait love! Welcome to simply fade to black here if you like, poor Grim's had a mindfuck lol.
@[Erebos] ]

bg - table