the Rift

[OPEN] Copper and Steel

Cheska Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 8
Ducky

Cheska
holy light, burn the night, keep the spirit strong

OOC] I have no idea how I managed to delete this post. ;_; Sorry.

◊ please tag Cheska in all posts
◊ full permission is granted for minor powerplays including
touching, placement and superficial injury

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I'm dead in the water, still looking for ya'

I would say that Ettore was getting larger. He was not quite ready to try and learn how to fly, but it felt as though most of his tiny, white baby feathers had molted away and smoother ones had taken their place. I didn't doubt he possessed some beautiful design of reds, browns, and blacks strewn across his wings, and he was beginning to get more and more confident by the day.

Still, I tried to keep him sheltered, in the nest of blossoms and hair that the Earth God had given to me. Yet, as I moved, I could hear the sound of other hooves, perhaps even voices. This got me to stretch forward a little farther, closer to the border. My limbs carried me up toward where the steps were until I came across the pair. One which felt as though she were missing a wing and another who was close in height to her companion and definitely sturdy.

I gave a gentle smile, offering a small cough to announce my presence before I allowed some words to speak. "Africa, pleasure to see you again!" I said, Ettore giving off a few chirps of excitement at seeing the mare he had spent quite a bit of time with lately. "I am Rasta, and this is Ettore. I'm assuming you're a friend of Africa's? Welcome to the Falls," I said, eyes flickering toward the equine's frame. However, my gaze would never focus - it would always look as though I was staring off into the distance behind her because I couldn't actually see it.

It was time to meet new people, to care.

Image Creds | Coding by Schwartze

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
The old littered path winding back towards the Falls had become both fond and familiar in the one-winged grey’s mind. Despite the encounter between herself, Rasta, Thor and the despicable roan, the raggedy forest strewn along the unmarked borderline dividing her home from the Threshold, had become a steady comfort – constant, peaceful. She slipped ever nearer to the memorable roar of cascading water and as birds dulled their tune to watch the pair pass, Africa knew that sanctuary and security lay but only a heartbeat away.

Cheska travelled well by her side – often near enough to graze the soft plumage clothing her only wing - but the Starry-Eyed barely noticed. It seemed that their stride was cleverly matched, unhindered by any injury (more common in these parts than the medic would have preferred), and generally light of mood. It might have been nice for Resplendence to spend a night with them, but Africa understood that duty rarely lulled, and presumed naively that the herb garden she had (very slightly) contributed to would need to be watered. She revelled in Cheska’s exclusive company as a result.

"...The Falls?" Africa said in unison with the speckled mare after she had paused very obviously to think, and soft laugher bubbled in her throat. "Yes, it is perfectly cool and comfortable." she answered naturally, failing to consider the other had probably never known of her life in the desert – she was sure that all of Helovia knew about her failure all the same. Tenderly she went on to describe the land’s patron, the God of the Earth – whose healing magic flowed. Her knowledge about him personally, was fairly limited; Africa knew the basics and handed that over without second thought.

Afterwards, she delved eagerly into the hierarchy of the Falls – the Ascended Czar (of whom she spared no detail), and his Czarina; the highest ranks in government, and then those who followed her own mending class. She really had not been there long enough to fully understand the intricate workings of the other professions.

By the time her voice slowed and the information churning through her mind seemed to run out, they were approaching the great waterfalls behind which a cunning passage wove along the jagged cliff face and into lush wilderness – had she not had the foreknowledge, such a place might never have been imaginable. Sheer rock, sharp granite overhangs and horribly steep walls rose above them and beyond, the peaks of towering mountains were shrouded in powder-white cloud. Africa slowed to a standstill amid plumes of cool spray, and above the crashing water called, "This is the entrance, you would never guess right?!" Eyes had shifted to find Cheska’s expression naturally, and a curious, goading grin lifted her features.

"Come, come!" she insisted, and stepped towards to the wet, mossy wall over the far side of the waterfall.

Carefully she led the roan through and on into a brilliantly concealed cave behind the tumbling element of the Earth God. "Neat, don’t you think?" The Throat had nothing so marvellous, and often Africa came simply to stand so dangerously, seconds from drowning. Quickly she took the other mare through a narrow corridor and it opened suddenly after a sharp corner. Sunlight flooded her eyes and they were forced to close horridly, overwhelmed. When finally they had reacclimatized, a friendly face was approaching – Rasta, perhaps the closest of her friends, and Africa nickered an affectionate greeting.

The Starry-Eyed sauntered forward to touch warm lips against the sleek skin of her sister, before swivelling to invite Cheska forward (if she had been waiting of course). "This is Cheska," the grey replied quickly. "She is staying with us before I take her into the west – to visit World’s Edge." Africa was well acquainted with the intricacies of diplomacies, and based on the information given by Midas at their last meeting, she felt comfortable with the newcomer’s decision to visit with Resplendence as well. Had it been the Basin that her interests dabbled between, it might have been an entirely different story.
Africa
@[Cheska], @[Rasta]

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska

Though her own heart fluttered between excitement and dread, the company was a welcome balm. She felt every footfall echo somewhere between her throat and her heart, each one precious. She could remember still the rhythmic, muted sound of hooves rising all around her as she walked with her nomad herd. She remembered the brush of shoulders and barrels, the errant hoof catching her rear pastern. Had she been angry when it happened? She couldn't remember now, but she missed her clumsy mares something awful. In the quiet moments she idly wondered if one would ever find herself wandering into a deep forest, coming upon a magical place called Helovia…

At the response to her forgetfulness, she flicked her ears, the nearest she could ever get to a blush. She wished she could be a bit more aloof sometimes, but she was cursed to her tells at this point in her life. Part of her could appreciate the flaws. No hero without flaws was worth an ounce of salt in her book.

Cool and comfortable. She pondered the answer to her (admittedly vague) question a bit absently, wondered how vast these lands were and how different each herd's geography might be. She hadn’t considered the physical demands of her whim to visit both herds. Her joints weren't those of a filly's, but she'd thought herself young and fit enough to make any journey she must. Now she wondered how mortified she would be if she failed in her mission. Thankfully, she had little time to dwell of her hypothetical failures as Africa had begun so passionately to describe her homeland.

She nodded, trying to wrangle the vast figure of Earth God in her imagination into some actual, tangible form. She hummed at descriptions of the lord and lady of the lands. She smiled, accepting that yes, wounds could be magically healed and, with little surprise, that Africa was possessed of the magic to do so.

For every word, Cheska listened with rapt attention, drinking in each ounce of detail like she was dying of thirst in some descriptionless desert. Somewhere in the back of her mind, a story was weaving itself into a tapestry as every piece of information came together. Gods and kings were built from every scrap she could gather and cobbled together in royal gold and forest green. She pictured the creatures. First there were hundreds in blues and purples, racing like rainbows through the lush forest. Then, she reconsidered a smaller, tightly knit family with foals free to roam. And dragons. So many dragons.

Once the mural was painted, and the words had run dry, she found herself almost aching to see the reality.

The reality, as it were, was a massive waterfall that crashed down and drowned all of her expectations. She'd heard the aural cues, of course, but the physical thing was so much… more. At the moment before Africa's words pierced her consciousness, she'd been left slack-jawed and wide eyed, struck deaf by the rush of water and mute by the sheer might of it. If she'd been led to a dead end waterfall by an ordinary horse weeks ago, she would have thought them absolutely insane and backed away slowly. Now, when everything was alight with magic, the falls were merely another mystery for her to solve. She cocked her head at Africa's words, meeting her gaze with a touch of wild delight. I never would.

She'd been struck by the first question, but the second drew a gentle bark of laughter from her as she stared at her host gleefully. "Neat?" she quoted, her drawl distorting the word a little. "Neat? This is… I mean it's… Well…" Stars burned out and hell froze over as the verbose storyteller was left grasping for description. She couldn't look everywhere fast enough. She'd expected some modest little patch of land and what she found was a paradise. And this was only the first stop.

She was mercifully distracted from her own nuclear meltdown by the appearance of a second mare. She maintained her place just behind her host, watching the greeting warmly. Her tapestry filled in a little more.

Cheska strode forward as she was summoned, head dipped demurely. "Thanks kindly. It's a pleasure, Rasta, Ettore." She tipped an ear toward them in acknowledgement. But when she lifted her head to meet the new gaze, she found a familiar lack of focus. Her favorite warrior mare had been blinded in one eye after a particularly vicious battle, and she knew how it pained the colossus some days. The cloudy lack of recognition was noted and accepted with little fanfare. Though her tact could be lacking, in this she was empathetic. "You have a truly beautiful home."

She'd never been so sincere for so long. Some kind of sarcasm muscle inside of her must be atrophying.

count] 812
tags] @[Africa]
ooc]

Africa came first. Her lithe body coming in close with a nicker upon her lips. And, once close enough, she pressed her warm lips against my shoulder in greeting before turning to introduce her travelling companion. It was Ettore, though, who was getting bored, so I carefully allowed him to balance upon my forehead before depositing him on my haunches where he bounced around excitedly - trying desperately to gain Silas' attention. More winged members of the family, he was always excited when they were around. Perhaps one day I would ask Africa or Sohalia if their companions would assist in teaching Ettore to fly. After all, I obviously couldn't.

Still, I focused my attention back upon the mare who had been introduced by Africa. "It's a pleasure, Cheska. Please, do rest up," I murmured, a gentle smile radiating across my face. The mare bobbed her head, bowing her head in respect as she spoke to both of us. She said that we had a beautiful home and I could only allow my smile to widen. "Gifted by the Earth God, graced by Midas' care - it would not be what it was without the attention the herd gives in keeping it thriving," I explained, shifting my weight a little as Ettore moved. "Come, we will rest farther in. You can get some water as well, for you must be exhausted." It was with that remark that I turned toward the center of the lands, where the water was the slowest and easiest to drink from, and began to slowly move off toward it. And, all the while Ettore continued to hop around upon my back - excited to be moving around for once.

urmagawd my posts are so short compared to y'alls. i'm sorry ;-;

Deceased
As pale, golden eyes travelled from Cheska back to her blind sister, the young hawk snared their interest. Ettore was growing well – undeniably, Rasta nurtured him with all of the heart of a soul-mother. Rose-red skin was prickled with maturing feathers, itchy pins like those she had been asked to rub open on many occasions with awkwardly large teeth – unfortunately, it was the only way her avian companion could be rid of those irritating his scalp. She made a conscious effort to drag her gaze from the tiny frame when she realised her jaw was grinding backwards and forwards in anticipation...

Around about the same time, the little chick had found (by way of whiskered nose) a new roost upon the soft-golden mare’s rump, and Silas regarded him with a cold violet eye. Perhaps it was a fine thing that the Roc zephyr had not the appetite for vermin because surely the tiny, bony body would serve as a tasty entre. He thought suddenly of Fina, the countless snakes he had witnessed clasped between her brutal talons, the rabbit... Surely this little creature would make an excellent gift; a chance at winning even a sliver of her interest – because there was no doubting her utter indifference currently.

The frigidness softened quickly, cunningly, and Silas turned his body around to face the warm, bouncing babe. His chest rumbled quietly, purring visible contentedness, though the plan wrought through his mind raged on.

Africa was distracted – naturally – and barely noticed the sly tilt of her bonded’s sharp mind. Each mare before her, softly specked and pale palomino, spoke in turn, and Africa watched on with naught but oblivious cheer written through her expression. Rasta lifted praise to the God of the Earth who had crafted their home, and velvet lips bounced in unison. Though it had taken her unfortunate departure from Dragon’s Throat to really appreciate the tranquil paradise, the Earth in all of his glory had captured her heart (as had their Father’s son...). She said nothing for the moment, musing instead privately about the Gallant who had so unexpectedly risen through her despair like a guardian angel.

The turned at the mention of water, and Africa realised then how parched her throat had become. During her years in the desert, it was habit to visit the lake regularly, at least morning and night – or risk dehydration and death. In the lush region of the Falls however, there always seemed to be mild humidity lingering on an ever whispering breeze, and prolific vegetation casting quite generous shade. The pattern of old had been slipped and the one-winged mare often let an entire day pass without drink.

"Wise words, sister," she chortled tenderly, as lean white forelegs turned to follow. Though eager and talkative, Africa was perhaps not as thoughtful a host as the sensible blind mare. Silas consequently wobbled as his ride began to move, and he opened his glittery wings rapidly to maintain balance. For the time being he pulled his eyes from the little hawk – undoubtedly he would win no applause from the trio of horses.
Africa
@[Cheska]

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska

Her expression softened as she listened to Rasta extoll the virtues of the Falls. She nodded, as if striking a tally in her mind. Instantly, she regretted the comparison.

She'd just wanted to see where she fit, but now there was an electric crackle of grief in her heart. How could she ever look at this kindness and find it in any way lacking? It was clear how much they loved their king and their herd. It was a rare gift to see such loyalty. She'd been rather unimpressed with some of the poor excuses she'd come along in the past. To her, a herd was not a patch of land where a few lived. It was... a family. Nothing less than the bond of sisters and brothers. A herdland could be walked away from, left to rot. But family? She'd been carrying her families with her since the beginning. And now she had to consider carrying these mares, too. She had to consider that she was agreeing to all the heartache and worry and weight of something as significant and essential as family. She tried not to wallow in the strange consciousness of this revelation, tried not to feel like her heart was floating but her stomach was full of rocks.

So instead, she addressed the golden mare's latter statement with a chuckle of good will. "Such benev'lence is downright novel these days," she sighed with a mock wistfulness, tossing her forelock dramatically. She let her accent drip like honey off the words where she usually reeled it in. "'Specially towards a visitor." I have always relied on the kindness of strangers, Miss. To counteract her nonchalance, the ensuing "thank you" was nothing but sincere.

As she followed the surefooted leader (gold, then silver, then copper), Cheska tried not to let her curiosity get the better of her. As in most of her endeavors, she failed utterly, and her sage green eyes couldn't dart around the Falls fast enough. Here was a beautiful pond, there a bright rainbow. And the food! It was everywhere. There were so many different shades of lush green that it left her teary-eyed. In the forest of her birth, food had to be dug from the ground, shoots carefully extracted from dirt and debris or picked from branches that hadn't grown high enough. The plains hadn’t been much kinder. Part of her just wanted to gorge herself until she either passed out or dropped dead right in the middle of their stunning oasis, but she got the distinct impression that such behavior would be frowned upon.

She turned her attention instead to the pair of companions roosting on their respective ladies. She took the opportunity to get a better look at Silas in particular, now that she judged him to be distracted enough not to eat her. "Sooo…" she addressed no one in particular, "does everyone here have a feathered friend? I have to be honest; I think I might have missed the boat on that one." So many curiosities, so little time to figure them out.

count] 513
tags] @[Rasta]
ooc]

The thank you that fell from the moderately built mare's maw was covered in an accent. Different, but not difficult to understand. It warrants a gentle smile from my lips as well as a delicate nod before I allow my frame to shift and bend in time to kick start the movement back to the inside of the Falls.

We moved as a trio, easily striding our way toward the middle of the lands and where the water was in most abundance along its edges. I can feel the way that the dirt melds with my hooves, shuffling limbs in certainty as I do my best to avoid the rocks. Meanwhile, Ettore bounces in his little nest against my neck in joy at the fact that we were moving back into the lands - back to a place where he can run waddle around with wings splayed out to the sides in an attempt to keep himself standing.

Once there, I can hear the sound of the visitor's sweet vocal curling through the air and mixing with the crashing sound of the waterfalls. She is inquiring about the feathered companions that both Africa and I possessed. I laughed, a gentle laugh that wasn't meant to be demeaning in any fashion. "No - not all. Some are of a furry variety, other's lack a companion completely. Africa might be able to explain a bit better," I said, eyes flickering to the mare who had seen more (not just literally, but figuratively as well when it came to these lands). Yes, she might be able to explain companions in a way that would make more sense to one who didn't have that 'feathered friend'.

Deceased
They picked an hour-long path; winding along stone passageways, drifting beneath restless shadows and on into sunlit glades. Hidden Falls was a vast region, filled with curious nooks, and secret crannies that even the soft wind seemed to skim by. Africa was a keen explorer, but she was yet to discover all of the wonders of the kingdom, and she watched on as they passed by with wonder-filled, hungry eyes.

Rasta was easily the more assertive in their friendship and she lead steadily (even despite blindness), until lush pasture opened around them, barky trees skirting, and beyond those the sweet babbling brook which had attracted their desire. Rich hues of the valley, soil, pine and crushed grass lifted luxuriously to tickle the fine hairs of each nostril, and the joyful warble of a courting couple broke the charming serenity which had before engulfed them. The one-winged mare noted each delightedly with a lifted skull and sealed eyes, drawing a long breath and pushing it heartily again from her lungs.

Though the desert’s secret splendour was respectable, the home she had since accepted far outweighed the former in almost every respect.

Africa paused only when her smoky, velvet lips were near enough to dip and drink from the stream, and as she did so gratefully, the tune of her companions conversation touched delicately, her backwards tipped ears. A small smile quirked thin mouth, and she lifted pallid face quickly, turning golden gaze to view each mare, Cheska and then Rasta. "Many have been privileged with the care of orphaned creatures. Bonds begin with eggs – aye, all of them break through shell firstly, feathered or not."

Tenderly she regarded the roan. "It is fate, though some are never blessed."
Africa

Hidden Account
Ducky

Cheska

It was easy to feel at home here. She found herself springing merrily after Rasta, her gait more bounce than step, her heart more ocean that glacier. She passed the journey by making a few silly faces at little Ettore. Here, she chattered at a passing creature. There, she leaned down to sniff at a flower along the path. Strictly a visitor, she was careful to disrupt nothing. When she returned... if... if she returned, she would not return with a reputation for marring the immaculate beauty of this place. She wanted it to remain exactly as it was for exactly as long as its generous herd needed.

Between exchanges, it was easy to imagine racing through the wider spaces, leaping rocks and collecting a thousand of those little flowers, drying them through the warmer months and passing them out on the coldest day of Frostfall.

She instinctually warmed to the sound of laughter floating back to her in response to her question. It was a reflex developed over time. As a filly, she'd always found her mother's laughter sweeter than her milk. She grinned to hear its chime once more, but listened to both ladies with rapt attention.

She nodded along obediently, curious but a bit skeptical. In her experience, hawks and eagles and owls had every reason to avoid the heavy hooves and swift teeth of her kind. The only ones who dared stay close too long were carrion birds, who insatiably devoured the flesh of the fallen. Foul creatures, she thought, who would desecrate the dead. It made her wonder how long said bond with an ordinary creature was meant to last. Until they were independent? Until they were weaned? She briefly imagined a horse trying to nurse something with jagged teeth and- She shuddered. Enough of that for one day.

She'd underestimated her thirst. When presented with a cool, clean source, she drank greedily, until water dribbled from her chin and her blood no longer felt sluggish in her veins. She was tempted to extend her gratitude again, but she didn't want to be excessive, so she just indulged herself a little smile.

With one necessity sated, another crept up to take its place. She yawned, stifling it against her shoulder. Again, her ears flicked back in embarrassment, her expression sheepish. She tried not to linger, instead looking back to Africa once more. "It's so lovely here, I can't imagine how you ever talk yourself into leavin."

count] 513
tags] @[Rasta]
ooc] bleh.

So, yea. Africa was far better at explaining companions then I was. The intricacies of everyone else's (though none the less appreciated) were far less understood by my mind. I really was glad that she was here, someone that I could call a sister during these times when things were ever so slightly unsettled.

Alas, the other mare seemed to be just as exhausted as everyone else. She drank like there was no tomorrow and let out a small yawn before saying that it was a lovely place. I could only smile, Ettore chirping happily from his little nest. "Yea, it does grow on you, doesn't it?" I said, memories of my old herdland flooding back through my brain. The ones in Forma Silvestris that I had run had been much like this, which caused it to feel even more like a home for me than I had ever thought that it would. "You must be exhausted. Please, stay for the night. You can rest with Africa and I before you head back out on your travels. If I recall correctly, Africa said you were also going to see the Edge, with Africa leading you there?"

And, if that really was the case then they both needed to rest up entirely for it would take some time for them to get there. Another pause, before I allowed a few more words to fall from my lips. "Is there anything in particular you have questions about? I'm almost positive that either Africa or I could assist in some kind of answer," I say, trying my best to accommodate the guest who might become family."Talking"
Rasta
you're my downfall, you're my muse, my worst distraction, my rhythm and
blues - i can't stop singing, it's ringing in my head for you
Image Credit