the Rift

[OPEN] !! Different for Girls

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

She hadn't been back here since the darkness had taken over. She figured it was time that she dealt with it - reminded herself that it was all completely back. She needed to move on, and the anger that had been boiling lately was coming to the surface. It was leaking and she was getting ready to scream, to cry, to kick out at trees. She was in pain. She was hurting. And no one thought she was even worth their time of day anymore. And that. Yes, that was what was causing this pain, this anger, this hate.

She didn't know who her family was anymore. Did Kaj care? Did Kahlua know she was still alive? Was Quilyan even alive? And Nayati, she was growing stronger, but she wasn't there. She couldn't blame the young girl. After all, she needed to get out in the world, to not be as afraid of everything. Still, it was as if she were alone again - torn into pieces and thrown out to the wolves to fend for herself. And because she had invested so much time into her family all she could be was angry.

Valiance, he didn't know how to fix this. He didn't know what would make her feel better, he just knew that she needed to get out. So he dragged her out of the Edge, flying above her until she reached the lapping waves on the beach. She shuffled her way in, allowing the water to caress her canon bones and she stood. She simply stood, looking out over the endless sea and hoping that something about it would fix these problems.

@[Kvothe]

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Kvothe Posts: 62
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 6 || Frostfall
Elodin :: Dik-Dik :: None Tribs
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

I think of myself... as a troubadour, a village storyteller, the guy in the shadows of the campfire.
- Louis L'Amour

Once more I find myself drawn to the ocean's pristine coast. The soft sand gives way beneath my feet, and if I was a less sure-footed creature I surely would have been stumbling along, rather than moving with the ease I did. Elodin fared much better than I; his small size and dainty feet kept him from sinking at all, and as he pranced along he left the faintest of footprints on the sand.

The little dikdik seems to enjoy our trip here, for he is racing across the sand, vanishing from my sight often. I felt mildly worried of course, for he was such a small thing. But I set my worries aside, for I could hear his bell and he was a quick creature, not surprising for his size and breed.

So it is Elodin that first discovers that we are not alone. He is farther along the beach, nearing a pale mare almost the color of the sand itself. Curious he sniffs at her leg, and that is when he picks up the scent that has me bolting towards him as fast as my legs can carry me.

Dragon.

I arrive, Elodin darting between my forelegs and hunching behind me, his gaze locked on the pale mare whilst my gaze scans the skies. Flying above us, I spy the wyrm... but it is not the behemoth I know of. Nay, this one is minuscule, a dwarf beyond compare when stacked against the serpents of the mountains. But even at it's size I keep one wary eye upon it as I turn my attention to our fellow horse.

"Be the wyrm your companion?" Elodin, curious now as to why I was not overly alarmed, pokes his head out from behind my leg to look up at the dragon's silhouette, but he dared not leave the safety of my legs.

@[Resplendence]

Resplendence

She was starting to calm down, for the most part. The way that the waves gently lapped up against her legs had allowed her to begin to count each time the waves came in. It is the muffled sound of steps ni the sand that causes Res to turn her head. A tiny creature that resembled a deer with very large eyes. Confusion caused her to shuffled back a few strides, out of the water and back onto the sand of the beach just as the little creature clambers his way back toward someone else.

This other creature, a stag, a good hand and some taller than Resplendence was, was peering up at the sky where Valiance was circling, keeping his watch. While he had lowered with the appearance of the miniature doe he had not taken his place a top her withers just yet. It was only when the question emerged from the unicorns maw that he swooped down, letting out a a few clicks, hisses, and then a puff of smoke in warning before landing upon Res's poll.

Confusion spread across her face as she tilted it to the side. "Wyrm? I'm afraid I'm n-not familiar with the t-term…" she whispered, golden eyes flickering anxiously across his pelt and down to the creature that was now hiding in the safety of his legs. Legs shaking ever so slightly as she once again returned to the water - protecting herself (in her own mind) with the waves that lapped against her gently.

And this is why everyone saw her as useless…

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

I think of myself... as a troubadour, a village storyteller, the guy in the shadows of the campfire.
- Louis L'Amour

When her feathered serpent descends and greets me with such a rude display, my ears flicked back sharply, pressed against the choppy length of my mane. Elodin, bless his heart, gathers the courage to let out a hellion of a bleat at the 'threat', which of course immediately banishes any foul feelings that stirred within my breast. It was hard to be angry when a half-foot tall antelope utters a 'war cry' towards a much larger creature with fangs and teeth.

In my mind?

Elodin: 1
Wyrm: 0

However the mare speaks, and my gaze flickers to her and the...was that fear in her tone? Confusion lanced through me, and I could feel my head tilt to the side a little, bells ringing with the movement. Wyrm is a term unfamiliar to the lass, and my mind wheels for a synonym. "Serpent. Dragon... such creatures as the one across your back."

Of course when the snake had landed was when I confirmed my theory that it was her companion. But now my focus is on the trembling in her legs, in the way she moves towards the rushing embrace of the fair Sea, that sends concern through me. Had she been abused or such? Or was this her natural demeanor?

"Be at ease lass. I'll not bring harm to you." I step back, lengthening the distance between myself and the rose-tinted mare. "Pray, what's your name?" I keep my voice gentle, friendly, which isn't very hard to do honestly, but I make sure to keep it extra calm. To cause fear or nervousness in a mare made me feel quite the horrid brute, and left a sickly-rotting feeling deep in the pit of my stomach, like when one eats an apple a little too ripe.

Resplendence

A laugh. Valiance laughed. The little tiny creature with no predatory instincts was bleating at the fire breathing dragon. It was an awkward laugh. More like a clicking hiss, but if you looked in his eyes you could see the amusement that came from him.

It didn't last long, though, for the antlered horse was tilting his head to the side (bells jingling - yes JINGLING - in the process). He had to be from the north. He had to be from the Basin. Sent to maime her - sent to find a way to invade. Right? Why else would he use such terms? She still couldn't understand the truce the Edge had made with the Basin after they had invaded them on some kind of nasty whim. Oh, she didn't know the reason - no. She just knew that the Basin and the Grey had attacked and ruined them. They had started to tear her family apart. They had messed with the only thing she had and now… now they were GONE.

He spoke, though, and explained the term used. "Y-yes. He is m-mine. I-I'm sorry." she said, knowing that Valiance had gotten better. At least he wasn't trying to burn first and ask questions later like he had since he realized he could breathe fire. Then, he claims that he will not bring harm to her, and upon closer examination she finds no scents that dwell from the north - no remnants of the cold. And he backs up. As she watches him she realizes that he really isn't trying to harm her, she just doesn't know what she should believe anymore.

The hatred is killing her. It's eating her from the inside out because they just can't understand. She shuffles, swallowing a little as Valiance offers a few chirps, "Speak. He mean, I burn." he reminded her - offering his bonded as much strength as he could. A few more breaths and then she allows her maw to open. "R-Resplendence. My-my name is Resplendence," she whispered, and Valiance gently whisked his tail across her withers to urge her to offer his name. "Th-this is Valiance. He's… very protective…" she tried to explain, eyes diverted to the ground as she took in a deep breath.

"Strong. Res strong."

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

- Louis L'Amour

My actions in giving the mare a decent berth seem to have paid off, for she does not run as I had feared. Her words confirmed what I had already suspected, and I bowed my head to the firedrake on her back.

Elodin hears the hissy laugh of the serpent, and every little hair on his hide fluffs in childish indignation, and he promptly turns his back to the dragon and flashes his tail. His little display of 'I-can't-give-a-rat's-ass' when I can sense the deep-rooted fear in his core is so amusing, I cannot help the laugh that rolls from my lips. "Resplendence. A fair name." T'was truth, I thought the name rather pretty.

"I am Kvothe, and my friend here is named Elodin." I introduce us, and when Elodin refuses to show courtesy I cuff the back of his head with the tip of my tail, a stern look across my features. He huffs and dips his head to the pair, then promptly returns to 'ignoring' them.

I shake my head, then look back to her. "Forgive him, he is young." As if that explained everything, which, in a way, it did. Youth brought such folly...

"Pray, tell me Resplendence, and forgive me for being so forward... but what has you on edge?" I ask as gently as I can, wary of spooking this mare...or pissing off her dragon. My gaze flickers to him, and I can take a moment to appreciate his complexity. He is not like the firedrakes of the mountains; vicious, slithering wyrms with hardly a thought beyond fire and death. Creatures of such malice that I broke my own vow of peace to aid in the killing of one such beast.

It's death haunts me, but it was unavoidable. Dragons were deadly, horrifying creatures... but this one seems contrary to that proven belief. I yearned to learn more about him, about why he did not take after his larger kin. But asking such would be a rudeness I could not do, so I withheld my tongue and bided my time.

Resplendence

The doe-like creature does not seem to like Valiance's laugh and seems to give a more indignant answer - only causing the unicorn himself to laugh. Alas, the bow of a head from the unicorn to Valiance seems to appease her companion, who fluffs up a little with his pride - glad to be shown respect even though he had barely shown some to the one giving it to him. The unicorn says that her name is fair, and a gentle (though very weak and tiny) smile manages to curl up the edges of her lips. Then, he introduces himself - almost forcing the little one to give a bow in greeting and then went back to refusing to acknowledge their presence.

Honestly, Valiance could care less that the little thing wanted to ignore him. It meant he got more attention. Still, Res only managed a stiff nod. "It's fine. Pleasure to meet you," she said throat tight as she flickered back up toward his gaze, listening to the sound of his voice as he spoke again.

But, what he asked surprised her. A little take aback she blinked, swallowing hard. No one had asked her that. No one had cared and yet she found the caring in a complete and total stranger. "Years of being tossed aside, too weak to fight, and seeing too many with horns trying to take over that which I call my home after losing so much." She pauses, head tossed low, eyes closed as she clenches her jaw. She shudders a breath, Valiance clicking in disapproval of where this conversation was going. "I suppose it doesn't matter though - I'm always on edge. Everything's always scared me." Except blood and injury. She could be calm in the face of injury after watching Rowan die. She had learned how to be strong there.

She takes in another breath and manages to steel her gaze regardless of the fact that her body still trembled in uncertainty. "It'll never change. And I'm not sure why you even care - you don't even know me," only Valiance truly knew her anymore. Sadness swarmed the anger, drowning it in the pain as she pressed her maw to her golden locket that was supposed to bring Quilyan back to her when she needed him. But he wasn't here. He hadn't been here. And she needed him to be here - to prove that her family hadn't left her in the dust to rot.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

- Louis L'Amour

There! A smile, faint, ghostly and elusive but nonetheless I saw it. I return her faint smile with one of my own, but her words when she speaks shatter that smile of mine. Her, tossed away? Like a piece of refuse, undesired and unrecognized.

Her anger, or what I can see as anger, at those with horns has me ashamed for nary a reason save sympathy, and I turn my head slightly, overtly-conscious of the weight of my antler upon my brow. I look back at her with no pity, but instead sorrow, sorrow at what my kin, those with horns, had done to make this mare so...fearful.

She questions why I care, and for a moment... I'm not sure myself. It takes me a moment, a span of heartbeats that draws on longer than I intended. "I do not know you... but I wish to. I care because that is who I am, stranger or not I am always willing to lend an ear or shoulder. I care because if I do not, if someone does not, then who will?"

Mayhap I was arrogant, thinking that me trying to fix the broken, trying to help the helpless, that it would make an impact, that it would actually mend all the hurt and wounds that scarred one's psyche. But it just felt like something I neede- no, wanted to do. To do what I can to spread cheer and laughter even in the darkest or lightest of times.

Elodin looks up at me, sensing my sorrow and the deepness of my thoughts. His sudden presence, leaning against my leg, solidifies me and brings me back to the present, back to the sands with Resplendence and Valiance, and out of the chasms of my mind 'ere I could wander into recesses best left alone.

Resplendence

There is a laugh. A laugh of hurt, pain, one that is more forced because of the idiocy of her entire life than anything else. Just when she thought she was getting stronger everyone acted like she was getting worse, falling apart more, getting weaker. A pained laugh as she takes in a shuddering breath and just looks at him.

He claims that he wishes to actually know me. He says that he cares because it is who he was. He says he cares because if he doesn't who would. She laughs again, it was ironic that others would take this upon themselves simply because they knew that the horrors of the world would cause for no one else to care. It's so unlike her, though, a clear sign of her breaking. Too angry to think straight she just… she just wants Quil to be there. "No one cares. And the ones who did are gone. GONE." she whimpers, the laughter turning into tears.

But, she realizes she is breaking down. She realizes she's completely shattered, and it is Valiance who clings to her pelt, gently swishing his tail along her spine in an attempt to ease her pain and remind her that he is here. He still cared, and he was not about to go anywhere. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. You don't want to hear this." she whispers, head ducking down and eyes no longer willing to meet a gaze.

She was stupid. So stupid. And she was falling apart. And she should just leave, go back to the Edge, and hide in her garden once more. That's all anyone wanted her to do anymore anyways. It was where the had placed her, it was where she would stay.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

- Louis L'Amour

I remain quiet as she laughs at my words, a harsh, forced sound that was not something of true amusement. Even Elodin, young as he was, picked up on the growing tension, the growing concern within my body, and focused his honeyed gaze on the pale mare. She speaks, and the words are so bitter and pained I have to stop myself from stretching out my muzzle to try and comfort the lass before me.

But I restrained myself, and she drops her head. I am grateful, for then she cannot see the pity and sympathy that crosses my features. "None wish to hear another's pains and sorrows. But if you do not speak of it, then it will rot and fester and consume." Mayhap I was being a tad... arrogant, presuming she had not already told others how she felt, how alone she felt.

I fall silent then, letting the sea's rushing fill the air, filling the gap between our voices. It is in that silence, that Elodin shows a glimmer of something I'd yet to see in him.

He ignores the dragon atop Resplendence's back(or tries to, at any rate) and strides over to her, his little bell chiming around his neck. At her feet he looks up at her, butts her leg with his head, then lays down beside her.

I stare, rather shocked by a show of compassion from a proud(okay, bratty) child to a total stranger. He looks back at me, with by far the most bored expression upon his face, 'ere he drops his head onto the sand and sleeps.

Jaw touching floor? Check.

Resplendence

She wanted Quilyan. She wanted a family. Maybe she was being selfish, but she needed something like that in her life right now. She says she doesn't know why anyone else would want to hear this, why they would care, but he speaks again. He seems to care. And then it falls silent, and it is just the gentle, rhythmic sea waves left to listen to.

She shudders, she closes her eyes and just takes it all in until she feels a headbutt against her limb. A weak smile lifts up the corners of her mouth, watching as the young doe-like creature curled up against her in the sand and then… slept? Quietly, she glances over to the unicorn, and then to the waves which had yet to reach high tide. Her body shifts, carefully lowering herself to the ground and creating a cocoon-like fold around the creature that would cause the water to splash upon her hide and not threaten the young one's breathing. Motherly, yes, but she had always had such instincts, and when she was craving a family as much as she was now it wasn't about to go away.

Quietly, she rests her head atop her propped forelimbs and peers over at Kvothe. "He's a sweet one, how old?" she inquires as Valiance sprawls out across her back, forever keeping an eye on the unicorn but also accepting that Res felt safe enough to drop to the ground around him.

Perhaps there was a light in this darkness.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

- Louis L'Amour

I'm flabbergasted, even more so when Resplendence lays down beside him, blocking the water from hitting him. It is then I feel it, how smug he is, and a smirk crosses my features. Ohoho, so maybe not so much compassionate as I had thought. That, however, was a lie, for the smug sensation vanished when Elodin felt Resplendence lay beside him. And how did he thank her?

He raised his little head, bleated at her with his ears back. He waited, watching her before once more his head dropped...and this time he truly did fall asleep. I shake my head gently, bells tinkling before I move a bit closer, enough that I felt comfortable with the distance between myself and my companion, 'ere I folded my own legs and sank to the sand.

Res's voice draws my attention, and my head turns to look at her. "Almost a season, come a week or so into summer." A season... was he already that old? I looked back at him with amusement and tenderness. My little prince was growing rapidly...but not in height. Nay, I shed all hopes of him growing taller, into a full-sized deer right then and there. I had a hunch that he would forever remain small, whether that was his breed or a birth defect I did not know and did not bother questioning.

"They grow quick... You should have been there when he hatched. The second he drew air he let out a screech loud 'nough that I swear to this day the gods themselves jumped in shock." I offer a light grin, and although that was a mild exaggeration... He had been QUITE loud.

Still was.

In fact....

His silence, his niceness, made me wonder precisely what my little prince had in mind. But right now, he is innocent and sweet, a wonderful facade. His legs twitch, and then... then begins the snoring.

Yep. There it is.

I look to Resplendence, offering a faint smile and shrug in apology at Elodin's snoring, loud enough that it didn't quite seem like such a little thing should be making such a noise. I've gotten used to falling asleep before him, lest I get no sleep from his loudness right by my ears.

Resplendence

He raised his head, bleated, and then waited for a few moments before the little one's head dropped again. Kvothe shakes his head before moving in a little closer and then falling down on the ground before he began to speak, answering he question. About a season. One of the youngest. She nodded her head a little before resting her cranium atop her limbs.

He explains how they grow quick, and she can definitely understand that. "He sounds like a handful," she whispers, eyes flickering to the young companion beside her. Snoring, moving his limbs just a little in a twitching movement.

It's a quiet, gentle smile that was upon her lips before she allowed a few more words to fall from her lips. "Tell me some about yourself? Since I seemed to have spewed just enough to be embarrassing?" she inquired letting out a gentle sigh and tilting her cranium just a tad.

It was time she became ready to deal with the world again. It was time that she finally was ready to be start caring again - when her shattered heart was still broken, still waiting on Quilyan. She wanted him home, she wanted to be whole but she knew that she needed to move on. She needed to get used to being around others. She needed to learn more about them. That was all she had left. It was all she could do. Even Valiance knew this, as he crooned from his place a top her spine in order to give her some sense of comfort.

When I'm ready to fall
With love

Outcast
Image Credit

Kvothe & Elodin

- Louis L'Amour

A handful? She has no idea.

I smile tenderly at the little ball of tan and grey fur, warmth spreading through my chest. A handful he may be, but I would not trade him for all the knowledge in the world. He was just too precious, too dear, I honestly have no clue what I would do without constantly fretting over the little lad.

Resplendence speaks, and I turn my head to look at her, bells ringing, before a laugh escapes me. "Nay, not embarrassing. It needed to be said, and I am always willing to offer an ear." But where to begin on about me? "Well lass, if you have not guess I am not a native here. I come from a band of troupers, performers, and I left out of youthful curiosity to see the world, and have nary a whim to return to my parent's troupe. I recently struck up with two fellows like me, and together we plan to travel Helovia and share our stories, songs and trade with the herds and outcasts alike."

It was a dream, but one that was slowly solidifying before me. The troupe was small now, only three members, but I had hopes it would grow, that those who's hearts were restless would place their lot with us. "It is my dream, and I actually intend to spend a while at the shrines of the gods to see if they would tell me their tales... Could you imagine all a god must have seen and done in his or her lifetime?"

I could not comprehend the ages, but I could possibly the joy, the beauty, the tragedy, the horror, the darkness and the hopes they must have seen. And what better way to help than to warn Helovia about past mistakes, about wrongs that caused naught but strife? Yet also of the light, of the valor of mortals and gods alike. As a storyteller, I would of course embellish the tales so that they were suitable to tell, but the core would be the same, the details and names and places and actions.